Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 11-02-2008, 03:23 PM   #1  
waisting away

S/C/G: Too Much/Getting There/Healthy

Height: 5' 8"

Default cravings

How do you all resist cravings. All this week I have been cravy dominos pizza. I know that it is bad for me and I partially blame it for my weight gain. I know if I order some, that I will eat it all. I have no control with it. Last year (during my weight gain) I ordered it when I was stressed out (about 2-3 times a week and often before tests). I would get a small peperoni thin crust pizza and either cheezy bread or cinnasticks. I would eat it all. I would use a paper towel to get off some of the oil, but that doesnt help that much. Now I am thinking about it almost everyday and have even almost ordered it. How do you get your mind off of cravings so that you can move one and make good choices?
gatorgirl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

If it's distracting you that badly, then there are two things you can do:

1 - Go to the grocery store and get a frozen Lean Cuisine or WW pizza and eat that. It will help with your pizza cravings and possibly make them go away.

2 - If it HAS to be Domino's, then order a small pizza. JUST A SMALL PIZZA. No bread sticks. No cinnamon things. Just the pizza. Take out two pieces and set them aside. Throw the rest away. If you don't have the willpower to throw the rest away and not eat it then do something to destroy it first - squirt dish washing liquid on it. Pour 1/2 the salt shaker on it.

Eat the two pieces. Slowly. Enjoy them. Savor them.

And then drink lots of water to help flush all that salt out of your system.

Every once in a while you just have to give in to the craving in a REASONABLE way. If you let it go, you'll decide "oh the **** with it" and wind up binging on a whole pizza and breadsticks and cinnamon sticks and then you'll feel guilty and the whole vicious cycle will start again.

Part of learning to eat healthily for life is learning to deal with cravings and learning to find ways to keep yourself from throwing in the towel. I know for me, if I forbid myself to eat something every again, I'll immediately want more of it. But if I say "I can have whatever I want, just in reasonable quantities" I often don't really want it any more.

That would be my advice anyway.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:48 PM   #3  
150 by my 50th!!!

S/C/G: 341/261.4/150

Height: 5'7"

Can you make a healthy subsitution? For example, when I am craving pizza I make one with a large high fiber whole wheat tortilla, turkey pepperoni, peppers and onions that I have steamed/sauteed in water, 1 T tomato sauce, and low fat shredded mozzarella cheese. Its 6 ww points, fills me up and kills the craving. I do the same thing for burger cravings (veggie burger), starbucks (my own low fat versions of frappucinos), to name a few. When I get a craving that wont pass, I drink water to feel full, keep busy with other things and practice my affirmations that being healthy and looking good far outweighs the momentary pleasure I would get by shoveling something I dont need into my face. Good luck!
Arlene Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/181/160

Height: 6'0

I agree with everyone else. You need to either find a substitution for the pizza, or have the pizza. Sometimes a lean cuisine pizza is good enough sometimes nothing but dominos will do. In that case, order the smallest pizza available, eat the pieces you want (1-2) and find someway to get rid of the rest. Give it away , throw it away or destroy it. The more you think about it, the more you will want it, and then when you do get it , you will go overboard *that is what happens with me at least* so give in to your pizza craving, don't deny it, and try and do it healthfully.
wantingtolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

try several alternatives that are lighter. Would lean cuisine pizza work for you? Home-made pizza (light cheese and pita as crust)? What do you want most, the crust, cheese, sauce, pepperoni? How can you get what you want in the lightest calorie form? Everyone's different, so you'll have to go out and try a few alternatives. For me, lean cuisine pizzas work.

Good luck!
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:49 PM   #6  
Here We Go Again

S/C/G: 256 / TICKER / 140

Height: 5'3"

I use whole wheat pitas, baby bella mushrooms, and fat-free mozzarella. But if I do want Dominos, I just eat 2 slices of thin crust mushroom pizza and let my fiance devour the rest!
WormwoodDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:33 PM   #7  
eat less, move more!

Height: 5' 2"

Good advice, photochick.
Throwing out pizza seems impossible tho.
Whenever we get pizza at my house, there is always plenty of leftovers
and i end up eating them all night and the next morning.
It's like i can't stop myself.
Back when i was skinny... i used to make my own pizzas, i could eat the whole thing for less than 400 calories.
The trick is to use a pizza brick (to get a crispy crust).
i like to use this tortilla that has 100 cal and 12 g of fiber, they are called 'smart & delicious softwraps' they are larger than a small restaurant pizza.
i use fat free mozzerella mixed with feta and spinach and tomatoes,
or just make sure to use turkey pepperoni (if that's your fav topping).
also, make sure to wait and put the cheese on just before the pizza has cooked fully (otherwise it will burn).
the whole pizza, less than 400 cal, feels like binging but its not.
Billies Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:56 PM   #8  
waisting away

S/C/G: Too Much/Getting There/Healthy

Height: 5' 8"

Thanks so much for all the advice. It seems that I have gotten mad enough at that pizza now, that I dont want it. I tried having a smartone's pizza and the next day I still wanted dominos. I also decided that I dont want to spend the money on that, so I never ordered the pizza. The craving is gone now. I like the idea about distroying the rest of the pizza. Thats great. I will try that next time.
gatorgirl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:17 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 120/120/115

Height: 5'2"

I know your craving is gone by now, but usually when I crave something, I just drink water and wait. If the craving comes back, I drink more water. It goes away after a while, because it's more mental than anything.
musubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:56 PM   #10  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

I also second the pitta pizza. Fun to make, delicious to eat and not of grand proportions. Don't worry though, there will come a time when you're no longer ruled by your domino cravings, it just takes time and self growth.
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote