Weight and Resistance Training - November 08

View Full Version : November 08

Mel
11-01-2008, 11:56 PM
Don't forget to set your clocks back tonight. yay, another hour of sleep (or an hour awake earlier if you are like me....)

Today was a do nothing day with my dd. We ate dinner at Bonefish, which probably had more calories that I could manage to wedge into baked trout on my own, watched movies, and test drove cars. Exercise was stretching and some yoga.

Happy November!

sportmom
11-02-2008, 09:16 AM
My trick of setting the clocks back yesterday in the early evening/late afternoon didn't really help keep the kids in bed in later this morning - they were still bouncing on me at 7 am (normally 8 am in yesterday's time, so I guess maybe that isn't too bad.) I started a couple of years ago just switching the clocks whenever we were home in the afternoon and done with needing to be anywhere at a specific time, my hint if you think it would help any of you.

I'm back to normal - yea! - which means back to lifting today. I'm glad that I was able to shake this off in a few days which for me is a big improvement - I usually end up down with asthma and/or bronchitis. Altho this seemed to stay mainly isolated to my head and neck, I'll credit being active this time as the difference for me.

Lydia227
11-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Fran: Good idea. Sometimes we set them before bed, sometimes not. Today we didn't. We have so many power outages in our neighborhood that I'm forever resynchronizing clocks. Ah, the benefits of living in a mature neighborhood with trees. :lol: Glad your feeling good! Tomorrow is my LEG DAY! Can't wait. I was just thinking this morning when was the last squat session. I think it's been at least three weeks. Could be fun tomorrow. :crazy: I'm counting on the idea that this short time off will be good recovery leading me to be stronger tomorrow than I anticipate. :lol3:

Mel: What did you test drive? Anything fun? :D Bonefish Grill sounds good. It's been a while since I've been there. Wouldn't it be wonderful if there was a restaurant that actually prepared foods the way that we do at home?

Yesterday DH and I took the boys out for "linner" it was 3:00pm and we had missed lunch and had no desire to cook dinner. (We took them hiking for a couple of hours at Highbanks.) I still have no appetite. I feel physical hunger but nothing sounds appetizing. I was truly prepared to order anything I wanted off the menu but still ended up with grilled chicken breast on tossed greens, apple slices, and no dressing. The chicken was awful. I could barely choke it down but I did because I needed the protein. Gummy, distinct onion like flavor in the marinade. (I HATE onion) I think I'll just stick with my own kitchen for a while. I'm sure it's a phase that will pass soon. :lol:

sportmom
11-02-2008, 08:46 PM
We do linner around here alot too, Lydia! ;) Today I had to keep telling my older dd to settle down, stop bouncing on the furniture, bothering her sister, to act more like a 9 yo (she's the sporty one). It finally occurred to me that, like a puppy, she needed to be taken out and run. So I told the girls to turn off the tv and grab their coats and we were going out on the nature trail. They were soooo happy! So I took them out to the wetlands park and had them ride their bikes while I walked. They went down to the stream bed a few times, tried to put colorful leaves in the stream and then run down the path to the bridge to see if they could spot their leaf flowing down stream, then we had a stick throwing contest off the bridge. They got nice and muddy and kept themselves entertained for about 2 hrs but then we left when one of them got a wet foot. As we were driving home, we passed a house where a kid was emerging about the same age, stretching as he came out like he was low energy, and was also obese. I made a mental note that how we spent the afternoon was how all kids should be living, it cannot be a special treat to go out like this, and we need to be more disconnected from the tv, laptops, and video games. We should enjoy it while we have the mild weather, and I have to make this a regular thing each weekend and not just when the "puppy" (human) needs a run! SO that was my learning lesson for the day.

Lydia227
11-02-2008, 09:16 PM
Wow Fran, what a beautiful afternoon you had with your daughters! Thanks for sharing. It was really fantastic here today too. You are so right about them being like puppies. They really are. I remember a mother I met about five years ago with two sons who had the same age span as mine, five years difference. Everyday after preschool she would take the younger to a playground with another little friend to burn off steam. Unless it was subzero she had them bundled up and out there. I always try to remember this but I find myself inside more than I like to admit. Always so much to do but it really is important to get them out there doing these things for the very reasons you observed on your way home. My older son usually gripes when I send him out to ride his bike or beat tennis balls against the wall but when he returns he is usually in a better mood.

Anyway, thanks for the beautiful image of your afternoon. (Mine was spent baking cookies, four batches, for my son's fifth grade fundraiser. ~sigh~) At least DH got them out on bikes today to the library. If tomorrow is nice I may hit a trail myself. :sunny:

sportmom
11-02-2008, 09:30 PM
Oh, forgot to add, I picked up 30 Day Shred from Wal-Mart today. Has anyone tried it? It's a big hit over on another forum, so for 9.96 I thought I'd see what all the passion's about.

Mel
11-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Finally home again after the longest day ever spent on the PA turnpike. There was a huge accident about 30 seconds in front of me :yikes: and I ended up sitting in the left lane of the turnpike with my car turned off for an hour and a half. I forgot that this car does NOT turn off it's headlights automatically, so when then finally started moving, NOTHING happened when I turned the key. being stuck in the left lane of a turnpike is terrifying! Eventually, an car load of youngish guys pulled in front of me and a trucker in the right lane slowed down enough so that we could push my car onto the shoulder until the state police got there, then the guy from AAA to jump start my car.

Lydia, Bonefish was delicious- but I'm sure there must have been a half pound of butter in the pistachio crusted trout and the green beans. We won't even discuss the chocolate martini!
The test drive turned into a buy :dizzy: Ah to be young and well paid! She bought a 2008 Acura TSX that had been a dealer loaner. The dealer was pretty motivated to get it sold because the 2009's are in.

Tomorrow is back to real life. Cardio and lifting are going to be a rude shock to the system after 3 days of slacking and being in celebration mode.

Mel

tikanique
11-03-2008, 10:33 AM
Sounds like everyone had interesting and busy weekends.!!! I agree with kids burning off steam. Luckily mine are older and involved in very physical activities so they burn it on thier own and don't need to "let out" anymore.

I've never heard of Bonefish but pistachio crusted trout sounds magnificent!! Yep, Mel, your body is in for a shock, but a good shock, right?

The girl and I stopped in a Williams Sonoma store (we'd never been to one before) and they were making turkey dressing. She tried some and exclaimed LOUDLY that she'd never had dressing that good before in her life. I vanished into the teapot section :-) For our LINNER (eaten at 930 last night) we had a mini Thanksgiving meal, minus only the cranberry sauce and I was able to restrain myself reasonably well. Will have to be super squeaky clean the rest of the week to avoid going off on a binge.

Happy November ere'body!

Tomato
11-03-2008, 10:43 AM
I must be the only person that does not like the time change in the fall. I don't care if there is light when I get up or a total darkness - I do prefer light but the minus is that it gets dark earlier in p.m. and when I walk the dogs there is not much sun any more and I am not ready to pull out their coats yet.

Upon a recommendation from a mailing list I am on, I purchased a small slow cooker yesterday (I only have the big one, 5 or 6 quart) for making oatmeal.
Oy, the bliss!!! Why haven't anybody told me eons ago! I plugged it in when I went to bed and got up to a perfectly made oatmeal with no mess to clean!

Lydia227
11-03-2008, 11:51 AM
Fran: Report back with what you think of the video. I have no point of reference for the dvd but curious how it compares to a workout you would put together for yourself.

Mel: What a stressful moment that must have been. Thanks goodness you weren't in the accident and you had a AAA membership. :chin: I really should renew mine. Love the new car your DD chose. What a great way to celebrate all her hard work.

Tiki: Don't you love how they can make us cringe without really even trying. So, how were those teapots anyway. :lol:

Tomato: I like the idea of a mini crockpot for the oatmeal. Mine's done in the microwave. Very last minute. DH thinks it tastes like glue but it makes me happy.

So. Today's workout. (drumroll) No PRs but one of the most satisfying workouts I've had in a very long time. I think I may have licked this bug for good. (I'm still going to pick up the second round of antibiotics just to be sure. DS1 has something and I'm not going to catch it.) No backsquats though. The darn rack was busy for the first twenty minutes of my leg workout and by then I was too fatigued for it to matter. Wednesday is another day.

Have a great one everyone. :goodvibes:

MotoMichelle
11-03-2008, 02:15 PM
Well, as November rolls in I am still working out my calories/protein/lack of BF loss issue. I raised my calories to about 1600-1700 but it put my weight loss to a crawl the past 2 weeks. Still working with it, though. My protein intake has gone up which is good. We'll see what the BF is at next measurement (2-3 weeks from now).

Upon a recommendation from a mailing list I am on, I purchased a small slow cooker yesterday (I only have the big one, 5 or 6 quart) for making oatmeal.
Oy, the bliss!!! Why haven't anybody told me eons ago! I plugged it in when I went to bed and got up to a perfectly made oatmeal with no mess to clean!

This is an awesome idea!

sportmom
11-03-2008, 09:29 PM
Tomato, I will admit that I must be on the same email list you are on! I had seen the post about c/p oatmeal and then saw the renewed exclamations today. i will have to try it - but since i micro mine anyway, there is never a mess beyond the bowl I cook it in. But I would like to see how really good it could be.

Today was another hike outside during lunch with the kids, as they are off school today and tomorrow. Went to a harder/more hilly park today. They didn't need to be worked out today, but rather were BEGGING me all morning from a promise made yesterday. We're off to do it again tomorrow. Also got in my fbwo and 1/2 hr on the treadmill first thing this morning. I guess you could say it was a very active day today! The bed will sure feel good tonite.

WaterRat
11-03-2008, 09:42 PM
Hmm, what sort of oatmeal are they using the CP for? I always nuke my old fashioned, but steel cut I save for weekends and cook a big batch on the stove. THen I warm it up in the microwave. You could probably do a nice batch of steel cut in a CP and have it all the time. I like them both though, so my way works for me. Today I have my oats in the form of Cheerios. :lol:

Fran, it's nice to see kids as active as yours. Sounds like they're giving Mom a good workout these days.

Lydia - so glad you're feeling better!

Mel - congrats to DD, and scary about the accident right in front of you and the dead battery....

nelie
11-03-2008, 11:12 PM
Pat - I'm a big fan of steel cut oats in the rice cooker. Takes 30-40 minutes and cooks perfectly. I never had much success with it on the stove.

I'm enjoying the kettlebelle body workouts so far. Did cardio today and it is pretty good. I was supposed to run today but it got dark quick. Tomorrow morning will be running.

AnneWonders
11-03-2008, 11:52 PM
Hi all! I'm popping in over here because I'm resolving to add strength training back into my rotation after a long absence, and am looking for some support and public accountability. I'm starting on Monday, Nov 10.

I know a lot of you from the Maintainers forum and around, here's my abridged history. I started at 289 lbs in 2002, dropped to the low 170s over about a year with the help of lifting and step videos, swapped out the step for running in 2003, and never looked back. I dropped lifting (no pun intended) after my DD was born in 2005 (actually dropped it while I was pregnant come to think of it) just because there wasn't time to do everything, and I'm such a running/triathlon addict. I missed what lifting did for my body though, and now after DS has come along and I'm creeping my way back down the scales again, have committed to adding it back in, using my triathlon off-season to free up some time for it.

So I'm still working on my plan. I just got NRLW and am enjoying it, and will probably at least get lots of ideas from it, if not implement it wholesale. Anyone have any thoughts for me? I'm severely time-constrained, still not getting enough sleep (DS is 5 months old and not quite sleeping through), and I get extremely sore, using the wheelchair rails in the bathroom sore, very very easily, although in compensation, I seem to make initial gains fast before it levels out.

Thanks,

Anne

Tomato
11-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Sportmom - that's very likely. My emails have Piper Boligee in the name (it's my hotmail account). I haven't checked the list today yet (3FC comes first). :-)

Pat, right now, I am using Quick Oats. I know the regular kind is better but the last time when I was at the store they did not have the regular kind. I am almost done with the bag, I think there is one cup left. I do have Steel Cut Oats already lined up.

Question though - this is the first time I have purchased the steel cut kind and I see the texture is completely different. Will it gain a lot in volume during cooking? I guess so, since I see that 1/4 cup amounts to the same number of calories as 1/2 cup of the quick oats (which re the regular flakes).

wndranne - congrats on your weight loss and welcome.

nelie
11-04-2008, 10:52 AM
Anne - The first few weeks of NRLW are fairly quick workouts, 20-30 minutes. I think I asked you before but are you using light weights to start out with? Maybe no weights? Do you do a slight warmup before? Also, do you stretch afterwards? Drink plenty of water afterwards? I haven't been super sore in many years so I can't think of too many things other than those things.

Tomato - You know you can microwave regular oats right? :) I'm surprised that you would crockpot them but I've never tried. As for steel cut, they will gain some in volume. I have been adding pumpkin puree to my hot cereal (Bob's red mill high fiber hot cereal) which plumps it up nicely. You can also make it as thin or thick as you want depending on how much liquid you add.

Lydia227
11-04-2008, 10:56 AM
Wndranne: So glad your here. :hug: Suggestions? :chin: I think you are doing some really great things already. Some things to consider perhaps:

Stretching. DOMS are inevitable but a really good stretching routine may be helpful in between your sets as well as part of y our cooldown. I like to stretch during those 30 second breaks between sets or at the very least between body parts. The stretching helps to remove some of that lactic acid that builds up as we lift to near or at failure.

Drink plenty of water during your workout and throughout the rest of the day. You probably already do this. (speaking of which, I'm watching children today. They've just turned on the outdoor hose and plan on flooding the sandbox. As long as they stay in the sandbox...)

Eat a good protein and carb ratio, try as much as you can to sleep when you can, and do not feel guilty about it! When I first began lifting I was amazed at how hungry I was as well as how fatigued I would become in the afternoon. I would workout in the morning, arrive home at 10:45, prepare a lunch, and then take a nap with my son about an hour later. I needed these naps just as much as he did. We were both growing new bodies. ;) I also recall my legs feeling very heavy and achy while I acclimated to lifting.

Good luck. There are so many ways to become fit but I really credit resistance training with helping me reach my goals. Give yourself some time to build a good foundation and if you need more than 48 hours to recover the first few weeks that's okay too. I can imagine you are still "on call all hours" with the baby and sleep is hit or miss. Sleep is very important for recovery so keep that in mind. I can't wait to read about all of your successes!

~sigh~ The boys are completely soaked at this point. I knew it was a matter of time. Good thing it's laundry day. :D

midwife
11-04-2008, 11:20 AM
DOMS? I keep trying to figure it out. Day AFTER muscle soreness would be DAMS (which is about what I think when I can hardly sit or climb stairs). I still get sore after changing up my workouts. I did parallel squats on Friday and I felt it all the way through yesterday. Day OF muscle soreness maybe? But it usually hits me 24-48 hrs after the weightlifting session.

Lydia227
11-04-2008, 01:36 PM
DOMS? I keep trying to figure it out. Day AFTER muscle soreness would be DAMS (which is about what I think when I can hardly sit or climb stairs). I still get sore after changing up my workouts. I did parallel squats on Friday and I felt it all the way through yesterday. Day OF muscle soreness maybe? But it usually hits me 24-48 hrs after the weightlifting session.

:lol3: DAMS which would be a better name 'cause that's what I'm usually uttering under my breath when they occur. Along with "I do this on purpose because, why?"

DOMS: Delayed Onset of Muscle Soreness. Yep, it usually occurs the next day but I've had it begin to settle in within an hour or two after my workout too. ;)

sportmom
11-04-2008, 04:29 PM
I think DOMS is inevitable any time you start or re-start lifting, from my experiences. If you don't get it, you're probably not lifting heavy enough. But it quickly passes after the first week if you stick with it. Keep some ibuprofen on hand or even an electric blanket that you can use to warm up your bed before entering. Thought I've been consistent over the last month+, yesterday my shoulders and arms were killing me. My right arm was really tight, like I had scrunched a headband up there and forgotten it or something. I tried really hard not to take ibu and found that by warming up my bed before getting in, it was just as soothing.

No outdoor activity today - we waited too long and got rain. THe library worked instead. Honestly, my knees were feeling sore last nite so I think I need to stay off the downhill parts of the path. At least on the treadmill, you can get in all the uphill that you want without the downhill damage on your knees.

nelie
11-04-2008, 04:34 PM
Fran - I agree that soreness is normal and expected but "oh my god, i'm going to die" soreness isn't.

I ran this morning, did kettlebell workout last night and today my legs are quite sore :)

WaterRat
11-04-2008, 04:40 PM
Hi Anne. :wave: Nelie right's - the first few stages of NRLW are fairly short workouts, easily done - even with a warmup - in 30 minutes. The hardest part for me was I had to keep refering to the book (well, the xerox copies I made) to be sure of what I was doing. :lol: I've been using NRLW for WL and swimming for cardio lately as my knees are really bothering me.

Stretching is something I need to do more of. I find that my hips for some reason are very tight lately :shrug:

Oats: I have no idea why someone would use a CP to cook quick or old-fashioned flakes. The microwave works perfectly as long as you use a big enough bowl. I have a nice deep one that works well. Steel-cut I understand the CP (or rice cooker). I have only a 6 quart CP and no rice cooker, so I'm limited to the stovetop. I use a bigger saucepan than would appear necessary, low heat (just enough to keep it at a low boil), and stir it often. It is a different texture, but very yummy IMHO. DH won't eat oats in any form except uncooked flakes. Those he adds to whatever cold cereal he's eating. Oh, there is one other way he'll eat them - in a sweet granola or oatmeal raisin cookies. :lol:

Lydia227
11-04-2008, 06:40 PM
Hey Pat: Tight Hips? Have you tried this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVlX5HNKamw

I learned this pose in my yoga class a few weeks ago and I really find it helps to open up the hips. I kind of have to make adjustments while in the pose and some days I'm more flexible than others but overall I think this is a great one to add to a stretching routine.

Here's another video example:

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=pigeon+pose&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title#

The Happy Baby Pose or Deadbug Pose is great too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBSCNF0jKQY

Namaste :yoga:

WaterRat
11-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Thanks Lydia! I'll have to try these. Funny how the woman demonstrating the happy baby looks anything but happy! I'm on the lookout for a good :yoga: tape to try. I own a couple but I'm not crazy about them. DH goes to a yoga class 2x a week, but I've not found one that fits with my crazy schedule.

Mel
11-05-2008, 08:31 AM
Hi Anne :wave: Hope you aren't quite as sore at this point!

My legs are sore for the first time in quite a long while. Maybe it's because I skipped my usual Saturday workout, or maybe some new things I did yesterday at the gym. Not sure, but it does feel good for a change.

I'm sleepy and overate at an election party last night. Cardio id done, tho, and I'm off to work.

Mel

Tomato
11-05-2008, 11:22 AM
I am sore myself as well. After I did my first BFL upper body and lower body workouts, I no longer wondered how the people featured in the book (or on the website) managed to beef up so much (and I definitely did not start from a 0 exercise level). But it's a good feeling.
Zumba tonight, in lieu of cardio.

sportmom
11-05-2008, 01:18 PM
I feel myself beefing up too, esp. in the shoulders and upper arms from those heavy flies, bench presses, and shoulder presses. Problem is, I've got a good 1-2" of fat covering over the lean-ness. I need mucho cardio to burn it off and a cleaner diet. I think I could probably do cardio 18 hrs a day, just park myself on the treadmill and walk all day, and not see muscles for a few months. It's painfully slow.

I did my fbwo today - with only a 48 hr rest since Monday as I'm trying to make up a missed session while I was sick last week - and I felt pretty strong again today. Gotta love that chocolate milk - it's miracle food! lol I think I must be getting to about my 6 week point since I started this time around and it must be time to switch up the exercises again.

sportmom
11-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Fran: Report back with what you think of the video. I have no point of reference for the dvd but curious how it compares to a workout you would put together for yourself.

So for a review of the 30 Day Shred.........

I liked it! It's definitely high impact. But as she says in the dvd, "I have 400 pound people doing jumping jacks, so no modification, you've got to do the program!" OK, so no low impact mods are allowed I guess! :)

It's divided into 3, 20 minute programs called Level 1, 2, and 3. You move between levels when you feel ready. The 20 minutes are composed of 4 cycles of a 5 minute circuit: 3 mins strength, 2 mins cardio, 1 min abs/core on the floor.

How it relates to a program I would build - well, I think my weight lifting covers more bases since it def takes longer, but I think this is a great recipe for a compact fat burning routine. The hr stays up the whole time bc there is no rest, so I suppose it could have interesting results.

Will it replace my 90 fbwo and 30 min cardio sessions? No, I don't think so.

I think this is probably best for 2 things - when you have been working hard and have that last 10 or 20 to lose and want to shake things up and try something new. It must be called a shred for a reason! ;) The way I see myself using it is when I go on vacation like at Christmas and can't take my treadmill and weights with me. I think I could do this routine daily and keep my fitness level for the week and feel good and not sluggish.

midwife
11-05-2008, 03:56 PM
:lol3: DAMS which would be a better name 'cause that's what I'm usually uttering under my breath when they occur. Along with "I do this on purpose because, why?"

DOMS: Delayed Onset of Muscle Soreness. Yep, it usually occurs the next day but I've had it begin to settle in within an hour or two after my workout too. ;)

:lol: All weekend I was so sore......as I climbed the stairs, I kept thinking "I'm so healthy I can barely walk." Yes, we do this on purpose...why? And then I see my arms and think "squeeee!!!!!" I have biceps an' deltoids an' triceps an' other muscles---and cannot even believe it.

Thanks for the answer re: DOMS. ;)

Today I worked with a trainer I usually don't work with and he had me do a lot of circuit type stuff....I used a couple of weights but it was mostly squat jumps & pushups & crunches. A nice way to mix it up and I learned that I can create a great strength workout at home if I ever needed to.

Have a great day all!

nelie
11-05-2008, 04:20 PM
My legs are so sore today and in 3 hours, I'll be running. Help... Please...

kittycat40
11-05-2008, 04:57 PM
My legs are so sore today and in 3 hours, I'll be running. Help... Please...

Rock and roll Nellie!! :carrot:

Hello everyone. I do not like weight lifting but it's time to add it to my work outs. So that I can be well rounded , well... well muscled :)

To that end... it is my goal to follow along and learn.

Right now I am running regularly. For some arm definition I will take along two or three pound handweights, if I am doing a "shortie."

Has anyone used the work outs on cable tv? I'm going to check those out :)

-so thanks in advance chicks,

Kitty
looking to learn a bit and develop a love for lifting :D

sportmom
11-05-2008, 05:09 PM
Careful with the hand weights while running (or walking) as they can lead to shoulder and other joint issues. You'd do much better to put the weights in a belt around your waist or wear a weighted vest. You might do fine with hand weights, but I just wanted to pass that on! Welcome to the forum - it's really not that bad lifting. Soon, you'll be like me, lifting those 35 lb dumbbells for your deadlifts and roaring out "RRRRAAAAHHHH - I am strong!!! RAAAAAAAH" which terrified my kids, but they got over it. :wl:

WaterRat
11-05-2008, 06:06 PM
Nelie - probably too late, but warm up well and stretch before you do your actual distance. Then stretch really well when you're done. :)

EofAZ
11-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Well it was a really busy weekend and first half of the week and I'm finally trying to catch up but wanted to jump in and say I'm still on plan with my NRWL program. I can't believe how quickly I'm progressing. I just move better and my energy is up. I'm finally back into the looking forward to working out as soon as I walk in the door rather then just wanting to flop. I'm starting to feel like me again.

Mel
11-06-2008, 08:24 AM
Yay! Evangeline! Isn't it great how quickly changes make our bodies feel better? (and conversely, how quickly that all can go away :( )

Cardio done, abs,back and chest at lunch, Two clean food days in a row :)

Have a good one,
Mel

AnneWonders
11-06-2008, 09:58 AM
I finished reading NRLW and I really enjoyed the text. A lot of good sense in there. Next step is to actually plan the workouts, home vs gym, the wheres and whens and how to schedule it in with the rest of my insane life and all that. I dislike gyms. I'd soooo much rather be outside--probably why running has consumed me. I think I'm going to go for 2 workouts a week instead of 3. With all the stresses I have to deal with, my running, the occasional biking, constant chasing of children, and total lack of anything resembling a good night's sleep, I think I'm going to need the extra recovery time. Oh yeah, and my age advances. I'm hitting the big 4-0 next year.

I may think about where I might have the space for a home "gym" and ask for some pieces for Christmas. I have a nice collection of dumbells up to 25 pounds already. Wonder if I can squeeze a bench & a pull-up bar in somewhere? Too hot for the garage in these parts and I just gave my spare room to the boy. I do have access to a decent, free gym at work, but knowing myself, I'll be more consistent if I have another option.

And sigh, the food plan. I am resolved to try to add some more protein to my diet. I just never feel great on a high protein diet and start to feel sluggish and bogged down if I eat a lot. Except for the occasional days with cravings for red meat or milk (which I always honor since they are unusual and manifest differently than junk cravings although I can't explain that), I'm probably currently a 15% protein kind of diet. I guess I can start bumping the plant-based proteins, dairy and eggs in that order since they are the easiest to tolerate. I'm not so excited at the thought of whey powder, since powered calories are about as appealing to me as liquid calories, and even though NRLW recommends it, I'd really rather eat something instead. Anybody have any experience or recommendations along these lines? Nelie, are you still on a vegan diet? How do you handle it?

Anne

Tomato
11-06-2008, 10:40 AM
Anne,

I originally felt just like you wrt the protein shakes but without them, I never get a reasonable amount of protein into myself. Even with the whey protein, I am not consuming as much protein as I should.
My whey protein comes at the price of 150 calories (although I am not a calorie counter) but it provides me with 35 g of protein. I think it is a good trade-off.

Alena

nelie
11-06-2008, 11:03 AM
Anne - I follow a vegan diet and I do work protein in but I don't really use powders or anything.

I do eat things like -
Soy milk (9g ? of protein per serving)
Bob's Red mill high fiber hot cereal (9g ? of protein per serving)
Edamame
Nuts (some, not a lot)
Quinoa, amaranth, couscous and other protein rich grains
Beans (lots of beans)
Leafy greens
Fruit (bananas have some protein)
Tofu (some, I am not good at cooking it)
Soy yogurt
Seitan (I'm making some tonight in fact, can't wait)

I get about 100g protein/day.

So last night was running class. We do warmups before class and stretch well after class. My legs felt better this morning and today is a designated run day but I'm going to push it off until tomorrow.

This morning I did yoga, stretching and some foam rolling. My left inner thigh killed me with the foam roller. Tonight, I'll do some stretching and some of my physical therapy exercises.

midwife
11-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Anne,

I originally felt just like you wrt the protein shakes but without them, I never get a reasonable amount of protein into myself. Even with the whey protein, I am not consuming as much protein as I should.
My whey protein comes at the price of 150 calories (although I am not a calorie counter) but it provides me with 35 g of protein. I think it is a good trade-off.

Alena

Ditto. I started out with a personal trainer in Feb and kinda panicked at the thought of protein shakes. But then I thought---I'll do it for 6 weeks. I can do anything for 6 weeks. Now protein shakes are one of my staples. I just don't like meat all that much. I do eat a lot of beans. I also rely quite a bit on eggs and cottage cheese. I will eat shrimp and fish fairly often and turkey and chicken, even though they are not my favorites some days.

But with the protein shake I can get 35 grams of easily digested protein without a lot of extra additives and calories....and I like the chocolate and cappucino ones so they hit those tastes/cravings for me. I also am generally resistant to drinking my calories and powdered protein shake smacked a bit like the concept powdered infant formula. I am a huge fan of natural whole foods and all that so it challenged many of my deep-seated beliefs in food and nutrition. But now it really is a staple in my nutrition plan. Even when I'm not hungry I can chug down the protein that I want for my goal.

ETA PS, Anne, I am considering ditching grains from my diet for a couple of weeks based on the Refuse to Regain thread. This nutrition thing never seems to stop evolving for me.

kittycat40
11-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Careful with the hand weights while running (or walking) as they can lead to shoulder and other joint issues. You'd do much better to put the weights in a belt around your waist or wear a weighted vest. You might do fine with hand weights, but I just wanted to pass that on! Welcome to the forum - it's really not that bad lifting. Soon, you'll be like me, lifting those 35 lb dumbbells for your deadlifts and roaring out "RRRRAAAAHHHH - I am strong!!! RAAAAAAAH" which terrified my kids, but they got over it. :wl:

I like the idea of RAAAAAAAH- I am strong. What a great example for the kiddos.

Thanks for the info on potential joint issues. The weights I occasionally use are the type that you can strap around your ankles. But I fasten them closed and slip them into my hands so they go around my palm and back of hand.

This morning I did a power sculp exercise tv cable workout with my 3 big boys (6, 4, 4) and my 2 year old kinda hung on me for a part of it. Then, thankfully he left for a nearby distraction. I used 5 pound handweights and can see myself adding 8s in the next go around.

Tomorrow I have a long run planned and maybe I'll get in some weights in the evening. The idea of am and pm exercise seems great, but I am really tuckered out by nightfall. The couch is sooo inviting.

EofAZ
11-06-2008, 08:37 PM
I may think about where I might have the space for a home "gym" and ask for some pieces for Christmas. I have a nice collection of dumbells up to 25 pounds already. Wonder if I can squeeze a bench & a pull-up bar in somewhere?

Anne -- Linens and Things is holding a going out of business sales at the Foothills Mall. Two weeks ago I was in there and they had a bunch of those chin-up bars that they advertise on TV. The ones that work on resistance in a doorway. I donít know how good they are but just thought I would give you a heads up incase there are some left and you are considering them as an option.

Iíve got my cardio done and Iíve got workout B scheduled for this evening. Dinner is leftovers so there should be no issue with me fitting it in before we eat.

AnneWonders
11-06-2008, 11:20 PM
Anne -- Linens and Things is holding a going out of business sales at the Foothills Mall. Two weeks ago I was in there and they had a bunch of those chin-up bars that they advertise on TV. The ones that work on resistance in a doorway. I donít know how good they are but just thought I would give you a heads up incase there are some left and you are considering them as an option.

Oh, sweet! I should swing up there and check it out. I might give it a shot if they're cheap. I have a half day off tomorrow and will be in the area before picking up the kidlets. That'll also give me an excellent excuse to go hang in the Barnes & Noble with a coffee for a while. Thanks for the tip!

Thanks also for all the protein tips! Good things to think about. I think there's a Vitamin World at Foothills Mall too. Maybe I'll see what if anything they've got in terms of protein powder. Hmmm, now I'm shopping at a mall. Yes, skinny latte, no brew pub and/or chocolate factory. Visualizing myself just walkin' by... :)

Anne

Anne

Tomato
11-07-2008, 10:56 AM
Anne,
I have been looking at the chin-up system at Linen 'n Things myself but I also found out that Walmart's regular price on the same item is cheaper than a sale price at Linen 'n Things.

Also, be careful - all their sales are final (because they are going out of business) and I had a heck of a time convincing them to exchange DEFECTIVE milk frother - they would argue until cows came home that the receipt clearly states "no refund or exchange" - but I would have never assumed this applies to defective items as well.

This is shaping up as a very good week - I was at the gym Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, I am going tonight and of course I will going on Sat and Sun as well. I am liking this BFL challenge.

Lydia - are you sitting down? - I bought PINK dance sneakers for Zumba (could not get any other colour for my mammoth feet). :-)

Alena

Lydia227
11-07-2008, 12:59 PM
Lydia - are you sitting down? - I bought PINK dance sneakers for Zumba (could not get any other colour for my mammoth feet). :-)

Alena

:lol3: Yes I am! That's great Alena! :dance: SHOES! More Shoes! Don't you just love it when a new sport or hobby gets you a new pair of shoes to add to the collection. I think your point was that they were pink though, right? :lol: Are they like my pretty pony pink? Just kidding. Hope you enjoy them. By the way, my cycling gloves are (clear the throat) pink. Weelllllll....:o they match the pink/lavender trim of my bike. I was going to get the water bottle and matching jacket as well but decided it was too much with the matchy matchy. See...there is a bit of girly girl in all of us. :D

I dare you to post a snapshot of you in the shoes to the forum. :p

Fran: Thanks for posting your review of the workout. I think these are great for those days when you don't have time for a regular workout or just need something different! I've been thinking about puchasing the PX90 to use at home when I get snowed in. I'm so leery of these things though. Anyone have experience with this set of workouts? Oh and by the way, it's raining here today. Looks like you will have a lovely weekend.:^:

Anne: Good luck with the pullups. I've been thinking adjusting mine from horizontal to actual vertical. You know, like they're supposed to be done. :D I would need a ladder to reach the pull up bar at the gym so I'm thinking about using the squat rack and setting the bar to the right right for me. Does anyone know if this is unsafe or just unwise. I don't want to bend the bar with my bodyweight pulling it down between two pins. Any thoughts? I guess I could request the big guy in the office to have a set of steps for me but I doubt I would get it. Not to mention how silly it would look for me to bring a step stool with me to do pullups. Okay. I'm rambling here. Sorry.

Had a great workout the last two days. So good to feel healthy again.I threw in some leg extensions :o :sssh: I used a machine, after my squats and wow are my quads sore. I swear I can differentiate each quad muscle not by sight (that will never happen on my bod) but by pain! :p

EofAZ
11-07-2008, 05:50 PM
Ok Lydia, how much weight will the squat rack handle for squats? If it is sturdy enough to handle hundreds of lbs to do squats it would certainly handle your weight to do a chin-up. That being said I do about 45* pushups using a bar on my squat rack at home and there is some wiggle in the bar. I’m leaning against it when doing the pushups so I eliminate the wiggle but if there is any room for wiggle when you are ready for a pull up that might be an issue to deal with, just something to keep in mind. Ever think of taking a mini tram or bosu ball and using it to propel yourself up to the bar. :o (sorry, I just couldn’t resist, I’m bad.)

Me: By the time I got home last night my knees were giving me grief (arthritis) I decided to wait and do my resistance training this morning. They are still really making me limp so I think this evening I will just do workout B without the lunges. I’m trying to think of something I could substitute for the lung without the stress on my knees for days like this but can't come up with anything. Normally once I warm up my knees tolerate almost anything accept jumping but today they are being a little more difficult then typical. Any thoughts?

sportmom
11-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Evangeline, lunges are uncomfortable for me too. I substitute squats instead. Do you think that would work for you?

Lydia227
11-07-2008, 06:51 PM
Ever think of taking a mini tram or bosu ball and using it to propel yourself up to the bar. :o (sorry, I just couldnít resist, Iím bad.)

Oh I so love the visual. Imagine if I actually could jump up and propel myself up there and then crank out fifteen pullups. It would be like a stunt movie. :cool: Alas, we will never know. Not only do we not have step ladders for pullups we don't have bosu balls either. I know, can you imagine. ~sigh~

So I've been thinking about your knees. I have osteoarthritis under my knees so I know how lunges sometimes are painful. When doing the lunges keep the weight in your heel more so when stepping out than the ball or top of your foot. I would also try reverse lunges to see if those are more comfortable. If it looks like lunges are out of the question maybe one legged deadlifts? These also encourage balance/stability like lunges do as well as engaging the hip flexors. Or, there's always more step ups and the endless variety of squats.

Just try to protect your knees from impact or slamming down onto the ground. I put together a wonderful circuit program that I had to alter because the jump ups to the bench left me feeling crippled for a couple of weeks later. :rolleyes: The good news is that the stronger my quads have become through step ups the better and more reliable my lunges have become so it is possible to improve it just may take a while. :^:

Mel
11-07-2008, 07:04 PM
Lydia, a squat rack is fine for doing pullups. I've had people do a kind of assisted pullup by putting a dumbbell under the bar standing on end so that you can give yourself a little help with a step up. Just remember it's supposed to be a pull up, not a step up :)

No workout today other than cardio. Clean eats so far and trying hard to keep it that way. I'll be doing legs by my lonesome tomorrow- my workout partner's son is in football playoffs. Good for him, but not for me.

Mel

kittycat40
11-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Getting fit is contageous. Our sitter/au pair was in the house yesterday when the kids and I did power sculpt. She seemed very interested and is frequently talking about wanting to get fit. I showed her how to get to exercise tv on the remote (she has it in her room too).

Today, both she and I were hobbling around. :D

But in a good way ;)

Tomato
11-08-2008, 01:01 PM
Kittycat, I am joining you in the "hobbling around" although in my case, it's my arms more than my legs. I did my upper body workout last night and this morning, I thought that I had not exercised enough since I was not as sore this morning as the last time. Apparently, I was wrong.
I went to my core class and planned to do 1 hr of Zumba afterwards but I found out I could barely hold the swiss ball with my arms stretched out in front of me. My left arm is jello and I skunked out before the Zumba started.
I am hoping to do a bit of cardio on the TM at home in the evening instead.

Other than that, this was is shaping up to be a good week (my first week of the BFL challenge). I was at the gym on Tue, Wed, Thur, Frid, Sat and tomorrow is another core class and then lower body workout. My free days will be MOndays - I hate the gym on Monday, it is too packed and I find that going back to work after a weekend is enough to deal with for one day. :-)

Very cold rainy and very windy weather here, hope yours is better. Have a nice weekend, all.

Lydia227
11-08-2008, 01:53 PM
KittyCat: Welcome to the hobble club! I'm doing that dance today too. Actually this is the second day of DOMS in my quads which is kind of unusual for me but it's okay. Today was leg day for me. My plan to give my aching quads an extra two days to heal before doing another session with them. I was intent upon doing only 45 minutes of cardio and then 30 minutes of core. Really.

I did get the cardio in but after that I felt good enough to work the hamstrings. Hey, they didn't hurt why should they take a rest day right? That led to step ups. Not only did I do the step ups but I used a 35 pound bar for the first time instead of the 18 pound body bar I had been using. Sweet. The only thing I need to be careful with is that it is as long as an Olympic bar and it's a tight space between the benches and where the free weights are stored. I kind of have to keep a look out for those around me. Oh, and that after I fatigue myself doing the step ups and split squats with this thing it's a bit of a chore to lift it up off my shoulders and over my head when I'm done. But, I did it. ;)

Alena, so you didn't get to wear your shoes today?! like you I was having some issues with a ball after my workout too. Isn't funny how you can fatigue the muscles enough that you can't extend a body part in front of you for very long. After my legs I tried to do deadbugs with the ball and found that I coudn't keep the legs together with enough strength to hold the ball in place between my feet. I kept rolling down my knees. Oh well. I chose to get some planks in there instead. :^:

All good stuff. :D

sportmom
11-08-2008, 07:31 PM
What are deadbugs?

Mel
11-08-2008, 08:39 PM
The little black things under the door mat :rofl:

kittycat40
11-08-2008, 10:39 PM
hobble= health, huh. well, ultimately, right? :)

Tomato
11-08-2008, 10:57 PM
Deadbugs? My dogs cockroach, but that's a different category. :-)

45-minute cardio on TM: Check!

Lydia, I don't have the shoes yet. I had to order them online, as much as I hate to to this - I holding my breath. Here is a pic for you:

Lydia227
11-08-2008, 11:56 PM
The little black things under the door mat :rofl:

All Right. :s:

Fran: Here ya go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1SUCQfYrlU

Unfortunately, i do let my limbs flop to the ground. I'm hardly graceful with this and often have to think about which leg and which arm I'm supposed to move when I get started. :D

Alena: Yep. Those are pink and very cute. ;) Enjoy them!

sportmom
11-08-2008, 11:59 PM
Unfortunately, the black things under my doormat (and all over my kitchen floor) these days are the itty bitty pieces of turf backing - ugh so annoying - they get inside dd's socks! But at least they don't mark, shred, so it could be worse, right?

It's official, my whole family did ball curls tonite. I think that's what Mel called them when she recommended them. Of course, somehow, the evil children can crank them out in record time with no balance issues, but we even got dh down on the floor doing them and he showed me up too. :rolleyes: But hey, it's good to get the whole family laughing, even if it is AT mom! :nono:

I like the dead bugs! Thanks for the link!! It reminds me of my pilates on the ball dvd I have. Great fun. I'm sure it won't feel that way when I'm doing it! ;)

nelie
11-09-2008, 09:34 AM
Tomato, I love those shoes!! Who makes them? Where'd you order them from?

Tomato
11-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Ah, those deadbugs! :)
The Oxygen magazine calls them 'V-up ball passes'.
I have been doing them in my core classes, but instead of holding the ball against the shins (the beginner version) we hold the ball between an ankle and a hand of the opposite arm. Yeap, it does require concentration on which limb is supposed to do what.
The advanced version is hard for me - the part where I am supposed to lift up my legs with the ball between them. I can do a lot of advanced core exercises with no problem but that exercise has me defeated - I can't get my legs up unless I help them with my arms a bit. I will try with legs bent at the knees.

Nelie - the shoes are from Canada.zappos.com - you will be shopping at the US Zappos I think - I looked them up for you.
Here are Capezios:
http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/25079191/c/3.html - very similar.
Here are Blochs (which I ordered):
http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/25079146/c/3.html

You are lucky - you will get free shipping. I have to pay shipping plus they charge me $25 "import fee". Check what people are saying - usually they run small and need to be ordered 1 size up if not more - that's how I ended up with the pink monsters because nothing else was available in size 11. (normally I am 9.5 but I have really wide feet).

Mel
11-09-2008, 02:03 PM
Ah, those are dead bugs! Try doing them on a bosu :devil:

I can't get my legs sore anymore. This is a little discouraging. Generally I only get sore now if I do something really extreme :o

Mel

Lydia227
11-09-2008, 05:58 PM
Okay Mel. So if we ever do get a bosu at our gym how is it done? Does the rounded surface go on the ground and you balance your back on the flat side or vice versa? Is it your back you center on the ball or another body part? I tried to google it and didn't find it. More importantly, have you really done this or are you just messin' with me now? :s: :lol3:

nelie
11-09-2008, 06:23 PM
Tomato,

I think I need to take a dance class or something to justify those as a purchase but they are awesome :)

I did running this morning and then went to my first swimming lesson. Swimming lesson is good but I suck. Swimming teacher is ok with me sucking.

sportmom
11-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Totally voting for messin' with you there, Lydia. :yes: :joker: I for the life of me can't visualize it, plus wouldn't it hurt your back? Yikes.

Lydia227
11-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Oh wow Alena, I just looked these up and they come in RED! too. Wow. :love:

Glad I'm currently taking yoga though. It's one activity that doesn't require a new pair of shoes. :D

Actually the whole idea of bare feet really wigged me out for a long time. One of the reasons it took me so long to even walk into a yoga class. Feet. ugh. :p And there are some really ugly feet out there. Isn't that funny. I'm getting better though. I'm almost over it but that first night was hard. Really. To add to it there was a young woman sitting on a mat next to me who was picking her toes before class began. I was totally grossed out thinking "Stop that!" "Don't you know how hard this is for me." :lol:

Mel
11-09-2008, 09:59 PM
Your hips go on the rounded side of the bosu, and yes, my week day workout partner and I do them. We've come up with some pretty crazy ab stunts and have only landed on our heads once :dizzy:

Today was a yard work workout. Why am I more sore (and not in a good way) from that than from deadlifting over 200 pounds? Must be all about form :)

Mel

Tomato
11-09-2008, 10:01 PM
Nelie, you need to sign up for Zumba; that's why I need them. My instructor just returned from a Zumba event in Florida and she got those in FUCHSIA. (or a very similar model). The fuchsia is nicer than the pink - I am just not a pink kinda gal. Oh well - all I care about is they fit.

Hah, Lydia, so you are into red! :-) Actually if the red was available in my size, I would have gotten it.
Sorry to hear about the woman picking her toes. That is gross - blech!
I, too, cast my vote to Mel messing with you. :-)

sportmom
11-09-2008, 10:05 PM
Yeah Mel, I wouldn't believe a muscle exists that you haven't found a way to isolate in the gym, so that's weird. But I have no doubt that you will come up with the leaf raker's workout sometime this week that simulates it in the gym, right? ;)

Say........., what do you guys think would be the minimum amount of protein you'd need to get each day to have successful weight loss and build muscle? Not talking the rda, but I guess it will come in somewhere between the rda and 100g. I'm just wanting to make sure I'm doing all I can, w/o going down the kidney stones path again, to enable my efforts in the workout arena. THe weight is not dropping which has freaked me out this week (remember, I got tons to go and it should still be melting). However, I registered a 5%-age point drop on my bodyfat this afternoon, so that's cool. (cumulative, not just this week! :lol:) Makes sense why my scale isn't being friendly, but I'm ok with trading fat for muscle.

kittycat40
11-09-2008, 11:12 PM
Hey chicks! So, I'm not hobbling anymore. You gals??

It was my intention to repeat that sculpting video yesterday but I just didn't. No worries, got it done today :) After a 6 mile run :)

While I wasn't hobbling, I was moving more slowly than usual and grunting a bit thanks to those squats and lunges... that I just did again!

And in honor of my DS's 7th upsoming bday, I let him use my 2 pound handweights while we did the vid. He's so cute. They challenged him.

Have a mellow Monday, chicks!

Tomato
11-10-2008, 12:08 AM
HUGE congrats on the 5% drop in body fat, Sportmom! You rock!
I am having a retest at the gym tomorrow but mine won't be nearly as impressive as yours - maybe 0.5%? :-)

AnneWonders
11-10-2008, 10:37 AM
I followed through and did my NRLW S1WA1 this morning after my C25K W3D1 run. Everybody get that?? :) I am going to hurt tomorrow, but my knee is behaving! I added some protein to my breakfast in the form of nuts and extra nonfat dry milk in the coffee but still haven't come to terms with the protein powder. Maybe after the baby formula is out of the house.

I decided to suck it up and just go to the gym on Thurs for workout B. Yes, I dislike it, but there are so many more options there, that it just makes sense. I'm going on Wednesday to scope it out--I've been away for more than a year (maybe even 2!) and I think they've rearranged everything.

I have to run to get to work--lifting killed my surfing time this morning. I'll try to stop in tonight and chat more.

Thanks for all your support! It is very helpful.

Anne

nelie
11-10-2008, 10:57 AM
I'm a bit hobbly.

Saturday - Physical therapy with walking around downtown DC.
Sunday - Longest run EVER, swim lessons and a few hours of chores/cooking.
This morning - Increased difficulty in runs by extending run interval. Walked dogs after run. This afternoon I have physical therapy again.

No kettlebells there which make me sad. Maybe tomorrow.

Oh and to note, I peeked ahead at my run schedule and next monday has me running 2 miles, no walk breaks!!! (well unless I absolutely need one)

I'm petrified although honestly this morning I had 4 minutes walking intermingled with my 20 minutes of running (32 minutes total for warmup, run/walk intervals and cool down).

kittycat40
11-10-2008, 10:58 AM
I registered a 5%-age point drop on my bodyfat this afternoon, so that's cool. (.

can you explain this? sounds exciting-- is bodyfat calibrated w/age as a factor?

sportmom
11-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Hi Kitty, no, age has nothing to do with it. It's a measurement of your body composition - lean muscle and tissue vs body fat. I have a Tanita scale that measures it, and while people have opinions on the accuracy of the measurement (with most saying it measures too high), it is accurate for measuring trends. So when I started this I was at one number which measured my % of body weight which was fat, which we'll call X and now I am at X-5. Hope that helps.

Unlike bmi, body fat % is totally accurate and realistic. BMI takes into account height and weight and not much more. Most of the muscular women on this thread would have weird bmi's - ones that look much larger than they should, merely because they pack a ton of muscle and weigh more than a non muscular woman of the same size. There's no accounting for body composition in the bmi. That's why we all like bodyfat better - in fact, when we go to the dr and get our bmi noted we all have to bite thru our tongues to not launch into why that measurement is a complete waste of time! :lol:

kittycat40
11-10-2008, 12:15 PM
i just realized--- %-age= percentage, duh!

very cool, sportmom. ain't progress grand? :)

I am less hobbly (good word Nelie) today. When I was doing the sculping vid, I did not use the 8lb handweights (didn't use them last time either), only the 5s. I think that has something to do with my mobilty. slowly slowly, I will work up to the 8s.

Something kinda cool struck me today.. I can see some abdominal strength in my obliques. neat-o. the rectus muscles are all stretched out and pulled apart. don't know if I'll ever get those back. gonna start trying, tho. won't know unless I try, right? :)

sportmom
11-10-2008, 12:32 PM
Oh, :lol: sorry for the doofus lecture. I felt weird when I was typing it, like everyone's heard of this already what am I doing, but I just got carried away!

kittycat40
11-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Oh, :lol: sorry for the doofus lecture. I felt weird when I was typing it, like everyone's heard of this already what am I doing, but I just got carried away!

not at all!!

It was your patient explanation that helped me understand my own doofusness :dizzy:

Lydia227
11-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Fran: Congratulations on your bodycomp change!
KittyCat: Glad you are beginning to heal a little bit. My quads are finally ready for some work tomorrow too. I'll have to remember to take it a little slower when I go in

So. About my pullup dilemma. Turns out that I can't raise the bar high enough for me to get up off the ground. Fortunately, the rack does have attachments at the top for pullups. I stood there a moment and sized up the distance between the attachments and me on the ground. I might be able to jump up to it but it would be doubtful if I could catch with a good grip. So. I dragged a bench over so I could climb up and then do my pull ups from there. An awful lot of setup work just to crank out five chin ups. ~sigh~ Second and third sets were even worse. Two each and really, the first one shouldn't even count. Hopefully I'll be able to report on more progress with this as time goes on. I have to tell you though it was kind of cool to have the bird's eye view of the gym from up there. Oh. yes. Very cool. :D

Tomato
11-10-2008, 08:50 PM
So, here is my update. Retest at the gym today. I am happy to report that since the end of August I lost 5 pounds and I dropped 1.6% fat (from 25.5% to 23.9%).
The 5 pounds weight loss is nothing to write home about (although when I consider that in September I had almost 4 wks off and actually gained 2 lbs, it looks a bit better) but I am happy about the fat loss % .

But, I also lost 1 pound of muscle. I really don't understand how this be that I am losing, instead of gaining, muscle? :yikes: I work so hard at the gym. What am I doing wrong? I know I am still at the weight losing stage but it's frustrating. Did this happen to you as well (that is before you became such Iron Gals)?

Anyway, I lusting after body fat % of 20%, and I WILL get there!

Lydia, good job on the chin ups - you rock!

Alena

Meg
11-10-2008, 09:03 PM
Good work, Alena! :high:

You lost a pound of lean body mass, not necessarily muscle. LBM is composed of a lot more than muscle: it's water (60% of your body weight is water), blood, plasma, skin, hair, bone -- in fact, anything in your body that isn't fat. So the pound of LBM you lost could be any one of those things.

In my experience, it's impossible to lose 100% fat, especially as you get close to your goal. It's inevitable that some LBM and yes, some muscle will be lost. Our goal is to minimize the amount of LBM loss and maximize the fat loss. But it's never going to be 100% pure fat.

As our bodies get smaller, they don't need the amount of LBM that a large size body needs to support its function. We don't need all the water, blood, and even muscle to move around a smaller size version of us. So some LBM loss is to be expected as we get closer to our goals.

It sounds like 80% of your weight loss was fat and I think that's outstanding!

AnneWonders
11-11-2008, 09:30 AM
Sportmom, great job on the body fat drop!

Nelie, congrats on your long run! The step to 20 minutes is a big one psychologically, but very doable. Hope you are feeling less hobbly soon.

kittycat, nice job on the abs. Everyone is making great progress now!

Lydia, I aspire to chin ups!

Alena, I think your body comp numbers look great.

One word for me today. OWWWWIE!!! And tomorrow is the day after the day after. Yikes.

Anne

Tomato
11-11-2008, 09:49 AM
Meg,
Thanks so much for your explanation - I was relieved to hear that!

I had a splitting headache last night and even though I hoped to go to bed early, it didn't happen until 10 pm so I gave up on getting up early and hitting the gym at 5:30 am. I will do it tonight instead.

Anne, I know what you mean by tomorrow being the day after the day after (nicely put, BTW) - I suffer from the same syndrome.

sportmom
11-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Wow, I had my first foray into old fashioned oats today (vs quick 1 min oats) - yikes - what a shock! I felt like i was eating chewing gum, there was so much chewing required! And the milk I used with them, ..., well let's just say after cooking it looked like an Elmer's concoction! Maybe this is where you guys will tell me it's better done on the stovetop instead of the micro in this style of oat - or even better yet, the crocker. Or maybe the crockpot is just for steel cut. I'm not brave enough to try them yet - I'm going to run back to my quick oats! But, it's a big step for this unadventurous eater - I mean, all last year I was still eating my instant oatmeal! I guess I would get used to my old fashioned just like I got used to the quick oats, but there doesn't really seem to me a nutritional advantage, does there? Does it just come down to personal preference?

Lydia227
11-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Hey Fran: I don't think that there is a difference in the nutritional value between quick and old fashioned. It's just a difference in how finely they are cut. Anyone correct me if I am ill informed. If you prefer the one minute kind then that's fine. I eat old fashioned oats nuked in the microwave. I use .25 cup of oats cooked with enough water to cover about 3/4 of the oats and microwave for one minute and twenty seconds. After that I add my special ingredients: FF cottage cheese, splenda, cinnamon. Nuke that for another 20 seconds to warm up the cottage cheese, stir, add :sssh: protein powder, L-glutamine, and a dollop of FF plain yogurt. Stir and smile. Honestly, my sons and DH are not clammering for this in the morning so it must be something that is an acquired taste/texture. It's proof to me that our food preferences can change because my day just isn't right without this glue. I've given up pancakes for this stuff. :dunno:

Alena: I have no doubt you will reach the goals you set for yourself. You are doing such a great job. And yes, your numbers look great. How awesome to have such a good result this time of year.

Meg: I love your explanation with regard to not needing the same about of LBM as a smaller version of ourselves. :chin: That was something that just didn't occur to me. Thank you for sharing that! :D

Anne: I really hope you are feeling less sore tomorrow. That was my problem late last week as well. :o Learned my lesson for today and only incorporated one new exercise into my program today instead of the three from last week. There's no rush right?

Nelie: You are so busy! I can't wait to hear about your twenty minute run. How are your knees doing with this too? Have you been doing a specific exercise that you think may be helping your knees with the addition of running to your routine?

Decent workout in this morning. I had some nice intervals during my cardio. It must have been a little more than I'm used to because I was starving 90 minutes after breakfast. That rarely happens. I also found a yoga podcast for my iPod. That was kind of a cool/weird thing to do this morning at the gym. Kind of like having a yoga studio in your own head going through the asanas while everyone else around you is counting out crunches. :doh: Felt great though. ;)

WaterRat
11-11-2008, 04:49 PM
Hey Fran: I don't think that there is a difference in the nutritional value between quick and old fashioned. It's just a difference in how finely they are cut.

I agree. But I like the old-fashioned. If you want a quicker/less ingredient bowl (sorry, Lydia :) ) try this. I use 1/3 or 1/2 cup of oats, a dash of salt, and twice the amount of water as oats. I nuke for 2 min 20 sec (but I have an old microwave). Let sit for a little bit (like long enough to get out the spoon, pour the :coffee: etc. ) Then I stir in a few raisins, a few smashed up walnuts, add a little 1% milke and eat. You can cook it on the stove, and it will get a little creamier, but the micro is faster, and no pan to wash. :) I've been doing larger batches of steel-cut on weekends, then nuking a portion during the week. Though, Nelie, I was in our new Target yesterday, eying rice cookers...... :rofl:

I've been slacking on exercise latly, having a few issues with some, um, private body parts. Grrrr. Getting better slowly, but still too tender to sit or walk much, so maybe later in the week. I was supposed to have a CT scan of my liver yesterday (some abnormal results from blood work and ultrasound) but after 5 tries the tech gave up on the IV, and I have to go back on Thurs more hydrated. Hey, they told me not to eat or drink for 8 hours priror, and I didn't! THe guy did ultrasound my arm and confirmed that yes indeed I actually DO have veins.... They're just very deep. Meanwhile I have a large bruise on my right hand. Sigh. And likely there's not much wrong with me anyway. Wait, that came out wrong :lol: There's likely not much wrong with my liver anyway. DH will tell you there's plenty wrong with me. :lol:

nelie
11-11-2008, 05:35 PM
Lydia - I have osteoarthritis of the knee and was told 'no running' by my doctor last year. Of course I saw him a couple weeks ago and told him I was running, he didn't seem to see a problem. Go figure. Anyway, I'm going to a physical therapist that specializes in sports medicine to help prevent any issues as well as work through the ones I encounter. He helps a lot and kicks my butt.

Pat - I highly recommend a rice cooker. I cook rice, beans, oatmeal, everything in it!

sportmom
11-11-2008, 06:46 PM
I'm making mine with 1/2 cup oats, 1 c milk and micro it for 2 mins. That comes out just great and doesn't create a messy overflowing volcano like my old fashioneds did today. :rolleyes: I can't add alot of typical flavorings - dd is allergic to tree nuts, so we don't keep them in the house, plus I need to avoid them with stones, and I'm allergic to apples. I could use bananas, but instead I've been using a few small pinches of organic brown. Seems to work well enough. Whole milk would make it even better, but as I found out at a business meeting once when I had them, all that whole milk will KILL my stomach (perhaps they put something else in like cream, but it was bad).

sportmom
11-11-2008, 08:01 PM
So, because I'm a number crunching geek, I did a little scale math today......

Since Oct 1, my lbm has increased from 118 to 119 lbs. My bf in lbs has gone from 123 to 113. Does this seem realistic/accurate? This is over about a 9 lb weight loss.

Oh gee, I think I just answered my own question!!!! wow!

I guess typical or legit might be the better question then. This certainly seems more valid that when I was thinking I had put on 5 lbs of muscle earlier today. The disconnect was actually because I was using a bf% taken in the afternoon with a weight taken in the morning. Apples to oranges, so to speak. Need to do the %s against the same weight that was recorded at the time of the bf measurement.

What do you think? Is that good progress? I'm doing a fbwo 2x/wk and 30 mins of hiit treadmilling (or the closest I can get to it at my fitness level) 6x/week.

Megl, I will have to go check those charts you shared with me. I am not a fanatic about food - if dh wants to go out to eat, we will, but i won't order an iceburg salad in a mexican restaurant, for example. I'll order a chicken breast meal if I can, but if in mexico, I will partake in some chips & salsa.

elisa822
11-12-2008, 08:43 AM
Hey everyone!

I've been lurking more than posting lately but I'm still around. I'm still struggling with my food and workouts (not a good combination) but I'm holding my own mostly with my weight.

Work has been busy and I've been hungry and "snacky" lately so it's a struggle. I'm just trying to keep it together. My gym visits have slacked a bit but I'm trying to just go when I can...anything is better than nothing right? I pulled out my NROLW and started with some of those workouts again, to keep me interested. I miss my outdoor running too so it's time to hit the treadmill or get back to my spinning for some cardio. Maybe it's just the time of year but I need to stay strong because before I know it, it will be time for me to start my holiday baking! ;)

Fran - I'm jealous of your fancy scale! :) I love my digital scale...it's quite a few years old and very reliable but it doesn't do any of fat/lbm calculations that yours does. I think that might have helped me over the past year, to see some progress when the total weight number doesn't really change.

Lydia - I still haven't tried your "breakfast gloop" but I copied it at home so maybe one day! As always, I need to work more protein into my diet!

I have a big meeting at work today but I'm going to do my best to get to my power class and then yoga tomorrow. I'll keep you posted and have a great day!

:D

sportmom
11-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Hi Elisa, well, it's not tooo fancy. I got it from drugstore.com. And it only does bf%, I do the rest of the calculations myself. Not too high end at all! Didn't want anyone to think I had some huge academic scale or something!

AnneWonders
11-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Today is the day after the day after. OUCH! I had to postpone my run til tonight and hope for the best. It is looking like tomorrow might be the day after the day after the day after--unusual even for me, but there it is. So I'm scheduled to lift again, workout B instead of workout A, so hitting the muscles a little differently. What do you ladies think, lift or postpone til Friday? A little sore won't kill me for sure, but I'm still using the rails in the handicapped stall.

Anne

sportmom
11-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Postpone until you can move during the day w/o pain. Your muscles haven't healed yet and are still in recovery.

Maybe add in extra "other" activity. Tho your legs hurt, a run will actually feel good and help with the healing. Short term pain at the beginning but oh so much better at the end of the run. Maybe a yoga or pilates dvd after the run to really help stretch those warm muscles.

Feel better!!! :hug:

nelie
11-12-2008, 11:57 AM
Yeah I'd suggest doing something 'light' to warm up and then do some stretching.

Tomato
11-12-2008, 06:50 PM
Just a quick note - my pink Zumba shoes arrived and they FIT!!!! - on my way out - to a Zumba class (where else?) <VBG>

Lydia227
11-12-2008, 10:15 PM
Anne: I agree with Fran and Nelie. If you still have to hold on to things to sit down, postpone it. We do not develop gains in our muscles through the actual activity we develop them after the activity and through healing. It so hard to adjust to a prewritten routine when we are so excited to do it just right but really. If it hurts, no harm in waiting another day.

Alena: :dance: Go Girl. Show them who has the shoes now!

Today was my second attempt at chin ups. So I was able to clear 6 on the first set, three on the second and almost two on the third. These things kill the rest of my lifting routine. I was feeling a little flustered about my workout when I left the gym because I didn't accomplish all that I wanted. It must have been effective though because about two hours later I was so fatigued I could barely keep my head up.

Tomato
11-13-2008, 08:08 AM
Anne, I hope you are feeling better by now.

Lydia, I thought about your chin ups at the gym this a.m. (I arrived to the gym at 5:35 a.m. - woohoo!), when I was stretching on the stretching station. THere is a bar where you can suspend yourself from and I think one could do chin ups there as well although the bar seemed to be a bit too thin for a comfortable grip. I realized, while I hung there like a wet noodle, how far behind you I am. :-) I drool when I read about your accomplishments.

So Zumba last night and I was in heaven. The shoes are so perfect! Worth every penny (including the shipping and overflated import fee and conversion rate and what not). I promise I won't bother you with the shoes any more. :-)
Legs this morning and there is a Zumba class tonight so I am thinking maybe I will go. I have friends coming for dinner tomorrow though and I have to make dessert and of course tonight is Gray's Anatomy and ER night, so help me God!

Mel
11-13-2008, 08:28 AM
Lydia :bravo: on the pull ups! Don't feel bad about them wiping you out! That's a LOT if they are unassisted or even slightly assisted. You know how many muscles are involved and how hard it is for women to do them. I just went back to doing unassisted on Monday and was also wiped out after what seemed like a non-stellar workout. and SORE the next day!

Alena- woohooo on those shoes! Maybe I'd be more coordinated at zumba if I had a pair :lol:

Anne- hope the soreness is abating!

Hi everyone else- have to run and pick up a co-worker at a local mechanic shop :wave:

Mel

AnneWonders
11-13-2008, 09:34 AM
Hey ladies (and lurker gents)! Flyby this morning to say, I ran last night & it hurt but was doable. I am still Sore this morning as opposed to SORE or SORE!!, Vitamin I is working for me today, and I plan to lift again tomorrow when I'm merely sore.

Thanks for helping to figure this out! I'm out of time for now, but will come back later tonight.

Anne

tikanique
11-13-2008, 11:12 AM
Hi all!!! Lydia, chin ups?? IMPRESSIVE! When I was about to get out the military they were adding them to the PT test. We had been running for months, sit ups, pushups till we puked and yet most of us couldn't manage more than 2!! You did 6!!!! You girl!!!

Tomato, i'm gonn have to look up Zumba classes. Never heard of them but sounds like you are luvvin 'em.

Last night was my first night back at the gym after attending my alma mater's homecoming last weekend. and it wasn't too bad. I ate very clean the entire trip with the exception of some lemon scallops from PF Chang. It wasn't really discipline that kept me clean, we were just too busy to eat!!!

Stay focused all and finish out the weeek STRONG!!!

kittycat40
11-13-2008, 09:02 PM
Tomato, I'd ZUmba just for the shoes :)

Anne, reading an above post regarding advise to take another day's rest b/c you still needed to hold onto something to sit down..... wow. 'nuff said :) and you ran!! rock and roll.

That comment reminds me of a vacation DH and I took just after we got enagaged... we were in St. Lucia and wanted to hike one of their two famous mountains. We chose the smaller one (petit piton as opposed to grand piton) b/c it was steeper and we wanted the challenge. Well, my fitness level had dropped in the months before the vacation and I pushed it hard up the mountain. We were clutching onto tree roots to hoist ourselves up...

For the rest of the vacation I was unable to walk DOWN stairs. up was ok. but DOWN took me 5-6x as long as a very aged person :)

--sorry for the trip down memory lane.

I did Jillian Michaels and the biggest losers sculpting workout on exercise tv this am. It was pretty cool. She had her losers hold their hand weights doubled and I had only one 5.. Tomorrow I will repeat with double 5s.

have a good night, training chicks!

Lydia227
11-13-2008, 10:39 PM
Wow. I can't believe how late in the day it is already. :crazy: Thanks for all the supportive comments regarding those chinups. I googled like crazy yesterday trying to find something to compare the number that I did with some kind of standard and found nothing. Your examples helped a lot. Not knowing how to gauge your efforts is one of the drawbacks of training on your own, right? Oh, and just for the record Mel, they were unassisted. :goodvibes:

Today was legs and I left out the back squats. The weather is wet here today and my left knee was a little achy. Everything else went okay. I tried a new cardio this morning after I completed my real workout. Rowing. Does anyone else do this? I'm a little uncoordinated with it even after watching all the youtube videos on how to do this. I did find a rhythm eventually but I'm not so sure I'll be able to throw it into my rotation until I get better with it.

Pat: I'm a little worried about you. I hope that your tests come out okay. Take care of yourself first. :hug: You can get back to your routine when you are feeling your best again.

Alena, :cool: that you attempted the chinups during your workout. Keep working on it and you'll get there. Just don't expect to do much else after. :lol: Oh, and we like your shoe stories. Glad they are working out well.

Anne: Glad your feeling a little better. The DOMS will lesson over time and then like a :crazy: you will be concerned that your not working them effectively anymore because you are never quite that sore again. I hope your run was enjoyable.

Tiki: Homecoming! How fun. Too busy to eat. It works for me. So much better than those days when I have cabin fever and I'm looking to see if the food fairy left anything in the pantry. She never does. :lol:

KittyCat: I had a similar experience in North Carolina with a group of friends hiking Mount Mitchell. Such a surprising experience isn't it.

AnneWonders
11-13-2008, 11:44 PM
Thanks for all the DOMS support. I seem to remember it got bearable after the 3rd workout. I have never stopped being sore, although I did get to the point where it was a good sore. Wonder how much 2 pregnancies have rearranged my cellular structures.

I did postpone and will re-evaluate tomorrow. I'm going to try to get it in, but am also going to try do a fun bike ride, mountain biking, and since fun (and alone) is rare for me, that gets priority.

Lydia, I'm still in awe of the chin ups.

Anne

WaterRat
11-14-2008, 01:30 AM
Evening all. :wave:

Lydia, thanks not to worry. :) I went back for the CT scan this afternoon, and after a number of tries, including by the radiologist using ultrasound, they decided that my veins were all either too small or too deep for an IV for what was essentially an elective test. After 1.5 hours they decided to do the CT without the contrast dye (this was after the radiologist has reviewed the ultrasound from last week again). Anyway, I expect this will be the end of it! Now to just get my other aggravation (the unpleasant but totally benigh hemorrhoids :o ) and get back to a "normal" workout. I've been doing some arms and upperbody here at home, but cardio is suffering, as well as legs.

Thank goodness tomorrow is Friday. WIth Veteran's Day on Tuesday, it was a week with two Mondays! But we have a full week next week then a 4 day week the week after. And we're going to a neighbors for T'day dinner, so I won't have a fridge full of leftovers to juggle. :)

Lydia227
11-15-2008, 09:53 AM
Good Morning Everyone :coffee:

Alena: So how did the dessert turn out. Given all that you wanted to do that evening I would have opted for something from a nice bakery. :devil: I used to make everything myself and actually look forward to any excuse to bake for friends, family, school functions...you get the idea. Now I find that the baking as infrequent as the request is gets in the way of my planned workouts. I've really become great at scoping out the better places to buy dessert since becoming fitter. Not that I've eaten any of it. :s: :lol:

Anne: How was the bike ride? I'm a little envious that you can get out to do this. It's raining here and there are a ton of leaves on the ground. Oh, and cold. No doubt I'll pass some cyclists out there on my way to the gym today but I'm not one of them. I like to keep myself intact and injury free.

Pat: Glad to know it isn't too serious. Although the feeling that comes from missing workouts is pretty frustrating too. Hang in there. :hug: Just consider it a respite for repairing until your next adventure.

Yesterday was a great workout. I dropped my cardio session to 15 minutes and spent the rest of the time just lifting. Great fun. I think I will need to bring back two days a week where I just lift a little more. It was such a great feeling even hours later.

So, does anyone know what Calisthenics means? I just learned this last night and loved it. It's Greek in origin of two words: "Kalos" meaning Beautiful and "Sthenos" meaning Strength. I couldn't agree more. There are seven main Calisthenic Exercises: Situps, crunches, pushups, pullups, squats, calf raises, and dips. Have you done your beautiful strength today? :)

Mel
11-15-2008, 12:53 PM
Good almost afternoon :wave: I actually did a mostly calisthenics workout this morning :) Actually I did a double workout this morning. My regular lifting partner and I did a full body instead of our usual Saturday legs. Then as we were finishing I ran into a trainer who I used to work with at another gym. Trainers are desperate for clients these days and gyms re giving freebies to lure new clients. He punished me through a high paced half hour leg workout and offered me a buddy session next Saturday. So even trainers can use trainers. Funny thing is that he trained me like I would train a client, but I won't necessarily force myself to workout that way when I'm on my own. I train myself like a power lifter...counterproductive for what I want to look like, but more fun, IMO.

Lydia- I am super impressed with your progress! You won't find any "standards" for unassisted pull ups for women because 99.9% can't do any!!!!

Tomato- I did Zumba last Saturday and felt like such a dork! It was fun, tho.

Anne- you will get back to the point where you don't get sooooo sore. Enjoy your alone time!

Pat- glad to hear you can get back to "normal".

Hi Tiki and Kitty :wave:

Mel

Tomato
11-15-2008, 03:02 PM
Hi gang,

A very wet and rainy day here - dogs don't want to go out to pee.
Last night's dinner was great, and the cake turned out awesome, too. I do it mostly from head but I will post a recipe later because it is very light and fruity. I had only a tiny sliver but it was a big hit. My East Indian friend who brought some marinated Indian chicken (heavenly!) gladly took half of it with her so I don't have to worry about temptation calling my name. (What's left I will share with neighbours).

Our core class was cancelled this morning (I found out when I got to the gym) so I did 10 min on the elliptical, 20 min of my own abs exercises and then a FULL HOUR of Zumba. We had a supply instructor so a bit different songs, different moves ...... my abs are already pleasantly sore. (Still love them shoes!!! :love: )

Lydia, did you buy the tank top dress that looked so gorgeous on you? I will smack you if you didn't!!!

Tiki - I was wondering where you were hiding. Good to have you back.
Cheryl is missing in action.

Pat - hang in there! It will get better.

Mel - I sometimes feel like a dork, too, but such insignificant detail is not going to stop me! I loved your description of the training session.

Anne - I love "good sore" - that's how my abs are feeling today. Today's Zumba did a number on them.

Kitty - you should see me when I am done with my legs workout. I can barely descend to the main floor of the gym - my legs feel like they are not mine any more. Sometimes I actually hang on to the railing to make sure I don't tumble down.

Where is Meg?

Calisthenics - here is a link to my favourite YouTube clip. I like to say this is better than porn. :o See for yourselves:
Advanced Pilates and Calisthenics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSY-_MqKHIo&feature=related)

Alena

sportmom
11-15-2008, 05:11 PM
Wow, clearly the guy is a gymast, ain't no gym training that's going to get an avg joe or josephine to that point otherwise. His gumbi rolls at 2:45 are simply amazing! (or 4:25 i can't remember which now)

Calisthenics............., isn't that what all our moms were doing in the 50's and 60's? Before jazzercise? I love pilates too - there's nothing like it for making laughing and coughing painful!

Lydia227
11-15-2008, 07:32 PM
WOW! Thanks so much for sharing. I think what is so intriguing about watching this is how smoothly he transitions. He looks like one line of muscle. Very cool. I can see some movements in there that would be great to include in my own program but I hesitate to make it look as smooth or chorographical as his video. But wow. That was beautiful.

Today was a fun workout. I met a girlfriend for a workout at one of the local rec centers. Our kids went swimming while we hit the treadmills upstairs which overlooked the pool area. Great fun watching DS2 pounce in the water on the two older guys. We also witnessed the girls getting kicked out of the hot tub. :D The knew better. :s:

After cardio I did a little lower body lifting. Squats with a mirror in front. This was much better than my experience with a mirror a couple of months ago. I could really see my form this time! The mirror in front of the free weights is positioned much closer than at my gym too. (No track running between the areas) I could actually see that my back was so flat during the deadlifts that I could also see my hips and glutes in the lowered position. How cool is that! Okay. I thought it was cool. It doesn't take much for me folks. I was just delighted to see some of the technical things I've read about but haven't been able to observe in my own form.

A little later during my workout DH and DS2 were walking the track around us. DH made a request to see the chinups. Of course I hopped up and let him critic. Not bad. However, I did notice that my shirt rode up a little during the movements and my belly button was exposed. :o ~sigh~ Well, knowing this, I will have to wear the looonnng tops when I plan to do my upper body workouts and in the meantime work on leaning out the abs just a bit. It's not bad. But still a little more than I'm comfortable with revealing.

After the workout we changed and sat in the hot tub for half an hour. We ran into another woman from our community as well. Of course the first topic was how wonderful the facility was and why or why doesn't our community have such a place so we don't have to drive 25 minutes in every direction for family recreation. (sorry small rant that refuses to die) After the hot tub I showered and met the rest of the troops. I truly feel like I had a vacation day. We need those every once in a while.

Oh, Alena, I did buy the dress. But I took it back. It was too long. :^: I struggled with the idea of hemming it but I thought it would change the integrity of the dress. However after working on my legs as much as I did I didn't want to cover them to my ankles. Pretty colors and dress though. ~sigh~

Have a great evening everyone.

AnneWonders
11-16-2008, 11:55 PM
I was down to good sore today, and gearing up for SORE again tomorrow and useless for a few days I did my C25K run, week 4, day 1. Then I did NRLW, Stage 1, Workout B1 after. It went very well, except I have no idea what weight to deadlift, and am ill-equipped for that at home anyway. I did have to stop on the lunge set when I felt the sickening ripping sensation in my hamstrings. No real damage, just weakness leaving the body.

It's going to be another doozy of a week. Luckily, I buy ibuprofen in bulk. Sigh.

Anne

elisa822
11-17-2008, 08:32 AM
Ugh...what a bad scale weekend. Maybe this is why I tend to stay off the scales from Saturday to Tuesday! As I said last week, I was doing okay and the scale was fine. I had what I thought was a fine few days...nothing too horrible at all and, given what I know of myself, expected to be up a pound or two. Yesterday the scale said I was up 4 lbs. from Thursday....4 lbs!! I almost cried. Maybe it's like that every weekend and I just don't know about it but it was horrible.

I'm trying very hard to just focus and eat clean for the week and see what happens but it was shocking. This is why I need to be a few lbs. lower than I am. The number on the scale really threw me. I know I can go up and down quite easily but wow!

On to other things...I watched that video (thanks for the link Alena) and holy crap, my mouth just hung there!! I recognized quite a few of my yoga moves but they don't look like that when I do them! ;) A few reminded me of one of my favourite instructors from the gym, but he's an ex-gymnast so maybe that explains a few things.

Lydia - that sounded like a really great day with the family!

Hopefully I'll be back soon with better news...happy Monday everyone!

Mel
11-17-2008, 08:35 AM
:wave:

AnneWonders
11-17-2008, 09:47 AM
I'm gonna have to watch this video. Tonight. Really.

Hi Mel. :wave:

Anne

AnneWonders
11-17-2008, 09:59 AM
Wow.

tikanique
11-17-2008, 10:22 AM
Hi all, Happy Monday!!! Got a funny gym story for you.

I hit the gym yesterday to get in a back/bicep and cardio workout. Did my warm ups on the bike then grabbed a towel, my gloves and water bottle and hit the free weights. I did four sets of bicep curls then grabbed my stuff and headed to the lat pull down machine. Did four sets there, drinking plenty of water between sets, then moved to the seated row machine. Between my second and third set, as I began to drink even more water I realized the bottle I was drinking from wasn't mine. I spit water everywhere! I backtracked only to find that my bottle was still in the free weights area and I'd been drinking some stranger's water for quite a while.

Blech!!!

Tomato
11-17-2008, 11:11 AM
LOL, Tiki, I am laughing but I can imagine how you felt! I am guessing once at home, you probably went straight for the bottle of mouthwash.:s:

'Good upper body workout yesterday', I thought to myself this morning when I tried to blow dry the hair on the back of my head. My pecs are taking a sick day.

I don't know if I mentioned it here previously (excuse me if I did) but I and my girlfriends had an awesome girls' night out in Toronto yesterday. We had tickets to a theatre performace of Dirty Dancing and it was awesome. 'Baby' and 'Penny' looked like their counterparts from the movie. Penny was actually until recently a ballet solloist, very tall and legs about a mile long, and it showed really clearly that she was a dancer, just like in the movie.
Great dinner afterwards and one of ladies decided to hire a limo, so I was picked up at my house and then carted back at night, all that in great company and with some bubbly (fortunately, I don't like dry champagne so I had barely half of a glass). It was a late night, so I will have to hit the hay early tonight.

srmb60
11-17-2008, 02:07 PM
:love:ooooooo there's a Ms Fitness thing on TV:love:

Nikki Crawford was the first runner up and Tiffany Yee won. I think it was from 2007. Amazing muscles!

kittycat40
11-17-2008, 04:10 PM
Tomato, that was one of my movie faves!

Lydia, I don't do belly on display. I found these long-er tank tops with shelf bras at costco. Now, I rarely wear a bra except if I'm running. (then I wear 2 sports bras) These tanks give great coverage. If I'm looking for some boob perk then I do need a bra, but these work great for me! And with all the low jeans and/or short tops-- they are super!

Hi Tiki, how're you feeling after you kidnapped that water bottle? Didja get a cold?? I have kidnapped shopping carts more often than I think the shopping public should know! But I don't lick them... well usually not ;)

Hey sportmom, anne, mel, susan and elisa!

I still want/need to get to that vid.

Here's my weightlifting update. I repeated the jillian michaels power sculpt with losers. And I did double fives for upper body work as she advocated. I noticed my form was a little sloppy so I tried to stay true to good form. I'm not sure how successful I was b/c it was just me and the kids. and they were distracting me a bit.
short story long-- I don't feel much the next days after. Whaddya think, is it my form or do you think I need a longer than 25 min session/vid?
happy monday :)

edit- just read another thread down here. I'm not doing enough. I need to ramp it up. huh.

silverbirch
11-17-2008, 05:39 PM
Hello to all. :wave: I'm here, reading, but it's been a hard year or so and I haven't had the mental space to post.

Lydia asked about rowing. I think it's wonderful and it plays two parts in my training.

Firstly, itís the exercise I do to get back into the gymn when Iíve been away. Hypnotic and mindless, itís easy after the unpredictability of travel. And it reaches all over my body.

Secondly, I use it for high intensity training on one of my cardio days. (Currently, Iím doing a three-way split for weights, interspersed with cardio.) Iím doing distance intervals: 10 x 200 metres (letís say 600 yards), 45 seconds rest, resistance 5. I go all out for 200 metres so that Iím desperate for breath at the end of it, rest hard for 45 secs (hardly moving, just enough to move the lactic acid in the legs and bring down the heart rate), take up the resistance when there are just 3 secs of rest remaining and then go at it again. NB I use resistance 5 which allows me to reach that desperate point; using resistance 6 or 7 is hard but doesnít get me breathless in the same way.

Form has to be right, IMHO. Donít suppose that will be a problem for you, Lydia, as youíre a bit of a stickler or so Iíve heard. :D There are some terrifyingly bad examples of form about.

:drill: Strap your feet in firmly and use them to brace yourself. Push with them. (They are not a pair of mackerel youíve just landed, flapping on the bottom of the boat.)

:drill: Keep your back straight. Do not round your shoulders. (You were brought up by a Victorian governess and probably learnt to use a backboard.)

:drill: Do not flick your wrists down at the end of each stroke. (You are not holding a handbag in a 1950s film.)

:drill: Keep the chain taut and running smoothly under control. (You are not in a rowing boat on the Marine Lake at Rhyl; you are training to cross the English Channel, one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world.)

:drill: Donít loll your head about. (It contains your brain, probably the only one youíll get, which should be looked after.)

Good luck. Skimming across the water at speed is a lovely thing to do. :cool:

WaterRat
11-17-2008, 07:03 PM
:wave: Hi Silver! Sorry you've had a hard year, but it's good to see you.

Lydia227
11-17-2008, 10:06 PM
Silver,

It's wonderful to see you post. :hug: Wow. You are a rowing expert! Darn, I wish you could join me tomorrow. I will print your suggestions out and secure them in my lifting book just for laughs as I'm practicing. If I should ever be so fortunate to assist anyone else with their rowing I will quote you directly. Midrow the conversation would be "I learned how to row from a woman in Wales..." My rowing is still kind of segmented. I'm thinking a lot about the phases of the rowing. If I don't then I lose my coordination and I'm sliding back before I'm pulling back or I get confused and think it should be that way. :dizzy: Anyway. It will come just like everything else. (Now I'm all excited about trying it again tomorrow :goodvibes: Nice to hear from you and here's to a satisfying upcoming new year.

Kitty: Thanks for the tips with the longer sports tops. I'll keep an eye out for them. It's probably not that big of a deal. But never the less good to know if I happen to hop in there in the mid morning or evening when the place is a bit more crowded. :D Oh, and if you aren't feeling any type of muscle soreness then it may be time to adjust the workout in some way. I'm unfamiliar with the video you are doing but increasing the time spent is not always the answer. You may simply need to increase the load (amount of weight you are lifting) Good luck.

Alena: Ah, yes, the hairdrying test. Always fun when the pecs are taking a sick day. Just be careful not to try to rub out the soreness of the pecs in public. :p Some people just would not understand. :rofl: My achy body part are the bottom of my glutes. (I promise not to rub those out too) It hurts to be sitting on wooden chairs these days. Darn downward dogs. :^: Oh, and what a weekend you had. Trumps mine. :D

Tiki: :rofl: :lol3: I just don't know what to say about that. Just that maybe you might want to think about wearing one of those water bladders and avoiding the whole water bottle thing altogether. Just kidding. My DH has one of those contraptions. http://www.rei.com/product/733668He bought it like ten years ago when he thought he would do some hiking. It totally grossed me out. Just the name of the thing alone would gross me out. I would hide it before we would go for the next "hike" "Honey, have you seen my bladder anywhere?" :s: He would scout around in the state parks with this huge thing strapped on his back and around his chest. "Here, honey, need a drink of water." Ugh. No. Can we just get out of here and get some lunch already. :lol:

Elisa: :hug: Here's to a really good week. I hate anticipating a bad scale weigh in and feel even worse when it's confirmed. Keep your chin up and be grateful that at least you know. Awareness of the weight is one of the tools that keeps us vigilant. Our weight does fluctuate for so many reasons. Drink a lot of water to flush it out. Hang in there.

Anne: How's the hamstring? :^: Ouch.

My workout this morning...smelly. Really. Everywhere I went all I could smell was garlic. No it wasn't me either so stop it. Seriously. I had to cut my cardio session after the first ten minutes because I was getting sick. (have a serious aversion to onions) I went to do some lifting and it was icky over there too. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day or else I'm setting up my bike in the basement. :?:

Mel, Pat and Fran :wave:

AnneWonders
11-18-2008, 10:42 AM
Lydia, my hamstring is pretty good today, and I'm guessing I'll be back to 'good sore' in another day, and lift again the day after. Mmm, sweating garlic smell.

Nelie, how was your long run? I've been thinking about you.

Tiki, seriously yucky water bottle story! Hope you didn't get sick.

Anne

nelie
11-18-2008, 12:30 PM
Anne,

My long run was depressing and wasn't so long. I made it about 25 minutes/2 miles or so and walked the rest of the way. (I had told my husband that I'd meet him 3 miles away at the dog park so quitting wasn't an option.) My legs were just tired and didn't want to carry me. Also looking at an elevation map, the route I thought was flat is actually a slight uphill the entire way.

I made up for it yesterday though when I ran for 2 miles, no stopping although very very slowly.

Today I'm not feeling very well and think I may have been fighting something for the past few days which may have affected my saturday run. I was supposed to swim this morning but I woke up and knew I wouldn't make it. Tomorrow, I'm supposed to run 2 miles so I'm hoping I'll feel better by tomorrow evening. The 5k is 2.5 weeks away... It will also signal the end of my running class so now I'll have to self motivate to run which is a scary prospect :)

Tomato
11-18-2008, 12:56 PM
Silver,
I wish we had a rowing machine at the gym. All I can do is a seated row. Not quite the same.

Today is my cardio day, so Zumba tonight. I am supposed to be doing legs tomorrow but I purchased 3 training sessions with a trainer (I need to make sure that when I do my BFL exercises my form is correct) so I may skip the leg workout and do treadmill instead so that I am not all achy on Thursday for the first session with the trainer.

silverbirch
11-18-2008, 03:32 PM
[QUOTE=Lydia227;2457993] I will print your suggestions out and secure them in my lifting book just for laughs as I'm practicing. If I should ever be so fortunate to assist anyone else with their rowing I will quote you directly. Midrow the conversation would be "I learned how to row from a woman in Wales..."

:D I'm flattered! It would be good to meet up for a session in the gymn - I thought you might be over with the rowing machines this morning when I was doing chest and arms but you'd gone when I got over there!

Pat! Good to see you! We mention you every few months and think we should send you some suggestions for children's books to buy. (Astrosaurs series by Steve Cole - dinosaurs which are also astronauts, the Cat Royal series by Julia Golding, the Roman Mysteries by Caroline Lawrence all spring to mind ... )

Tomato - keep on with the seated row and your time may come. :)

Hello everyone else. It's good to know you're here.

Tomato
11-19-2008, 10:20 AM
Good morning gang! Wishing you a happy Wednesday.

Lydia, I woke up at night and could not sleep and I realized that I wanted to ask you a question [seriously - I need a life! LOL] - I think you mentioned in one of your posts that you had a "gym cleavage" - can you pls explain that term to the uneducated masses (that would be me). :-)

Alena

tikanique
11-19-2008, 10:24 AM
Hi all,

Nelie, hang in there. one foot in front on the other, does the trick. and you KNOW you have a cheering section in your corner for the entire run.

Silver, I haven't rowed in YEARS!! My gym only has one rowing machine and it looks funky and decrepit. Sounds like you should be captain of a rowing team.

How did ZUMBA go? And I'm so envious of your sessions with the trainer. Hopefully the workouts will be AWESOME!

I got in a late night work out last night - chest, tris and two miles on the treadmill. My previous workouts have been more cardio, less weights so I'm trying to flip it and put more emphasis on weights. Like an idiot, I tried to do dumbbell presses AFTER I'd done several chest exercises (including a few supersets) on the machines. My poor noodlly upper body PROTESTED like crazy and I was only able to lift the 20s. Ah well, it will get better, stronger, tighter with time.

Have a good day all!

Lydia227
11-19-2008, 01:36 PM
Alena: Gym cleavage develops when the body fat is low enough to reveal well developed pectoral muscles. Think about the chest of male bodybuilders. I'm not masculine huge and the effect if very feminine IMHO. Having a little more developed pectoral muscles adds a little shape and contour onto my upper body where I ordinarily wouldn't have any. Trust me, I didn't exactly trade having breasts for pecs. I've just always been made that way as well as all the other women in my family. Now, I look a little more filled out at the top of the chest/breast instead of just flat skin. Man, I can't believe this kept you awake last night. But I love your questions. Does anyone else have a better definition of this slang term. I tried to wiki it but believe it or not it wasn't in there. :D

Nelie: (speaking of people thinkin' of people) You crossed my mind this morning. At the end of my lifting I got a quick treadmill run in this morning. After the first ten minutes I was ready to quit. (The warm up part is always the most difficult) But I hung in there thinking about you. Really, though I only lasted a few more minutes. The clock was ticking and used it as an excuse to hit the mats for core work before I needed to scramble. Point is, Running is difficult! Some days more so than others and every course takes a different toll on our bodies. Inclines even slight are tough as well as weather conditions and wind... You are doing and will continue to do just fine. (barring an injury) Keep trying and at the end of the day, (even though you have joined a group) it's all about you and your success. :hug: Just don't quit. :^:Tiki's right. Think of us cheering for you as you do these runs/swims/rides. :cheer:

Silver: I did get my rowing in yesterday! The Channel was darn busy that morning and after about ten minutes I was whipped. By the way, I checked. No mackerels on board my little boat. :D

Nice workout this morning. Upper body with some changes in my rotation. Like you Tiki I'm trying to get more lifting in during my time at the gym verses the cardio. I know it sounds insane, sick, unhealthy, I don't know but really, I could use at least two two hour workouts each week to polish off all the edges. One things suffers as I try to incorporate something else and it's driving me nuts. Balance...On the upside, being available for the rest of life during those mid morning hours has been really important this year. Ah Balance.

Real quick: I wanted to share this. The fish tank episode could so happen in my house in the next few years as my oldest begins lifting. ~sigh~ And the last one. I've seen it before but it still makes me laugh. I'm just dying to see this in real life at my own gym. Okay, maybe not really. But it's such a classic it must be staged. Why else would they have captured it on camera?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiMtypKJQ9I&NR=1

Mel
11-19-2008, 09:19 PM
Ow! The fish tank was sadly funny, but the rest of them were really painful looking!

Lydia, great description of gym cleavage :) The other advantage of gym cleavage is that if what you have is somewhat saggy, they hang up a bit higher :rofl:

Silver- great to see you back. Sorry to hear you had such a hard year.

Tomato- Enjoy your sessions with the trainer and ask all the questions that you can think up!

This morning I did a 4 1/2 mile treadmill run with inclines and sprints for my cardio. My leg workout was yesterday and I'm really starting to feel it tonight. Unfortunately, I've missed two weight workouts this week due to lunch time meetings (I ate what I brought :D), but that is fairly rare. I'm going to have to make sure I get there the rest of the week. I find it really difficult to lift after work- getting ready for the next day and making dinner seem to consume most of the evening. I really admire those of you who do evening gym workouts!

While we are posting youtube fun, here are two exercises that made my legs so sore:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyssUu6Cfy0&feature=related

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44rf8Rg6dks&feature=related

I'm loving the slideboard these days. The one at my gym is too short, tho!

Mel

Tomato
11-20-2008, 10:45 AM
Lydia,
thanks for the nice explanation of gym cleavage. I kinda thought it was something along these lines, but I was not sure ("When in doubt, ask Lydia!" :D)
I refer to it as Goldie Hawn cleavage. I saw her a few times in very low cut evening dress with spaghetti straps (mostly red carpet moments) and that's what her chest looked like. I tried to google up a picture of her but did not come up with anything useful for this discussion.
Well, I will never have a gym cleavage - I have a plenty of cleavage already! :(
Mel, thanks for the assurance that chest exercises will help to get the saggy stuff a big higher. My boobs were never the perky kind.:cry:

I watched the clip with the gym blips and ouch, I find it too painful to watch. I laughed at the fish tank episode though, that was funny. I guess the rest reminded too much of the moment from the Beijing Olympics when the Hungarian weight lifter dislocated his elbow, it was awful to hear his screams. Here is the clicky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRvtEC8sSy8&feature=related) - in the third rerun (from above) you can actually see clearly when the elbow pops out. Poor guy.

Otherwise, I am grumpy today. Winter arrived early and we already have a several inches of snow and it keeps coming. It is supposed to continue snowing (6 more inches in the forecast for saturday). this is going to have a very adverse effect on my workouts. If I have to get up at 5:30 to shovel, then I can't be at the gym. Besides, shoveling puts too much strain on my right arm/shoulder. We had a horrible winter last year (snow-wise) and I was hoping it will be better this year. Generally, we don't get too much snow until after Christmas. It's way too early for this. I HATE WINTER. :mad:

Oh well. Thanks for letting me vent. :^:

Oh, I forgot to add - Mel, a coleague of mine built his own slideboard for his son, who is about 10 yrs old (but the kid is a hockey and gold whiz). He told me about it last year, apparently it is something hockey players use a lot (well, I can see why). He said it was really easy to make, so maybe you can have your own version at home. :-)

Mel
11-20-2008, 06:53 PM
Tomato- How did he build it? What did he use that was so slippery? I love'd to make one. My dh is a hockey player (or pretends to be a few times a week :) ) and he would love to make it for us, I'm sure :rofl:

BTW, I used to live in Toronto, and back in good old days, we had snow before Christmas. I enjoy horrifying people by telling them we also used to have a snow pile sometimes into May in our driveway...but the truth is that it was a circular drive, and the city decided we didn't need to be able to use it and used one end if it as a snow dump because we were the last house on what was then a dead end street. Wow, that sure was a run on sentence!

Good chest and shoulder workout today- my combos are weird this week!

Mel

kittycat40
11-20-2008, 09:11 PM
Hello lifting chicks!

I tried a different tactic today. Instead of trying to do a full body weight and resistance training in 25 min, I did an upper body work out. I brought out the 5s and the 8s but I didn't get to the 8s b/c lemme tell you-- I was mightily challenged by the 5s.

I did take a motrin before the work out b/c I thought I'd get really uncomfortable if I didn't. Now, 12hours later, I'm vaguely aware that anything took place. I'm more of a day after and the day after the day after type of hurting chick.... So, I'll keep posting on the progress of the hurt. (it's kinda nuts that I'm feeling disappointed that I'm not in pain, yes?-- but I know you all get that :))

But, I did feel pretty wicked fit and comfortable in my tank top (mentioned at great length earlier ;)) as I sat in the 1000 degree indoor pool area as my twin 4s and 7 year old were taking their swim lessons today. Last year at this time I was wearing a big thick bulky sweater whick I would NOT take off no matter how blisteringly hot the pool area got. ANd I played with my 2year old w/o wanting to drop from the heat :)

BTW, I did know what gym cleavage was!! yay me! and do you know who has great gym cleavage? Does anyone watch The Practice? I'm referring to the doctor who is married to another doctor in the practice and they are presently separated... there were recently episodes about which of them would be the medical practice administrator?... heck if I know her name...

anyway, thanks for bearing with my chitty chatty-ness. have a lovely night :)

Tomato
11-20-2008, 09:51 PM
Mel,
I'll find out from him tomorrow.

I had my session with the personal trainer today. It was so groovy! I gave him a list of exercises what I normally do (ahead of time) and he showed where I am not doing enough for my back, triceps, etc. We went over all the upper body exercises and I was quite happy to find out that for the most part, I did not need any corrections.
It was such a riot - whenever he was showing me something new, he would set the resistance and then had me try it. I would do one or two reps and then I would give him a dirty look and say "C'mon, Andrew, we can do better" and he would laugh and set the resistance higher. He said that most women say "don't make it too heavy" while I always wanted it heavier.

I think he had fun, too, because he said he likes me because I like to push myself. I am pretty sure I blushed like a 13-year old. :o I think he was quite impressed with the number of reps I am doing on the Gravitron.

So I had a very fun evening and I'm looking to my next session (next wednesday).

Later, chickies!

Lydia227
11-21-2008, 04:50 PM
Mel: The scorpion is an interesting exercise. I may have to practice that one. The slide looks like a lot of fun. That's a toy I haven't played with.

Alena: Your session sounds like a lot of fun. I'm glad you have a trainer who appreciates your enthusiasm. And :bravo: with your form. It must boost your confidence to know that you've been doing many things correctly all along. :hug:

No gym workout for me today. ~gasp, I know.~ I needed an extra day off. Not so much for physical but mental recovery. I'll be back at it tomorrow. It wasn't exactly a day on the couch though. One of my friends has asked me to join her on morning walks a couple of days a week. This will be nice. Obviously it will be in addition to my gym workouts. I see this as an opportunity to reconnect with the outdoors during the winter months and a good excuse to finally purchase the snow pants I've put off for the past couple of years.

Fran: It's snowing here. Just so ya know...It may be coming to a kitchen window near you. ;) No accumulation and very light flurries off and on all day with sunny skies weird.

Kitty: Those indoor pool areas can be incredibly uncomfortable in a warm sweater. It's wonderful to wear the clothes we want to wear and feel good in them! Swim lessons...I love to watch my sons during their lessons. Last summer I was darting back in forth between the two trying not to miss a thing. Since there are five years between them one was diving while the younger one was in the baby pool holding hands and singing songs in a large circle. Both awesome!

~Have a great weekend everyone~

Mel
11-21-2008, 05:56 PM
Snow was already here, Lydia and here again. This morning was a traffic nightmare. It only took me 20 minutes to get to work, usually it takes 8 minutes. Most of my co-workers spent hours in traffic snarls. Ds said that 4 school buses were in accidents on the way to the high school, luckily no kids or anyone else hurt.

I did make it to the gym and managed to take a hard tumble of a foam roller doing one of my stupid gym tricks :rolleyes: I landed smack on a kneecap which is nicely purple and swollen now. The really dumb part is that today wasn't really a lifting day. I was just goofing around to get out of the office for a while.

I'm hungry, annoyed and generally in a foul mood. The temptation to dive into the kitchen and consume anything I can find is killing me.

So I think I'll change my signature.... It's now SEVEN years of maintenance and I really need to keep it that way!

Mel

AnneWonders
11-21-2008, 11:17 PM
Yay, Mel on 7 years! Be careful. It seems like just a couple weeks ago you narrowly avoided death on the choking front.

Tomato, LOL on blushing for your trainer. I think it is cool that you are so strong!

I'm getting checked out on Wednesday for a possible stress fracture in my left foot. Running and lifting on hold until then. I'm not amused.

So, swimming is plan B for running. Anybody have any experience lifting with a stress fracture, assuming I'm allowed to do so?

Sigh.

Anne

sportmom
11-21-2008, 11:23 PM
Yes, snow here yesterday and today too, but the best kind - it blows really hard sideways but doesn't cause much trouble on the roads. I notice we are fortunate to be below the line of **** known as Delaware and I do not miss the freaky road conditions in Pa. Altho driving home from swim practice tonite was iffy. We had squalls while we were there so I needed my icescraper (which I didn't have) when we came out and had to take it easy on the hills. No scary moments thankfully. It's 28 here now, brrr!

Today during their practice I walked 45 mins on the indoor track. Yeah, I pushed myself so hard that I got a blister on the back of one foot. I left the house with the right shoes but my trouser socks on, so i didn't really have adequate padding. I had my ipod mini on and so I make sure to work out with songs b/w 150-180 bpm which got me moving. I lapped another woman who was going pretty fast. That was funny. I think she was relieved when I finally passed her bc she probably felt like she was being stalked the last 2 laps beforehand. :lol3:

Anne, I guess I would suggest lifting that can be done while on a bench and not standing? Like some leg extensions, lifts or floorwork like hammy curls. All your upper body stuff can be done or modified to be done on a bench no problem, but the lb stuff needs to be creative.

Lydia227
11-22-2008, 08:47 AM
Anne: I so hope you do not have a stress fracture in your foot. :hug: What an awful pain that is in so many ways. Like Fran suggested upper body can be done easily with a bench. Lower body is more difficult but Fran's suggestions are great. Anything that can be done on the floor maybe with a ball. I had several months were all I could train was upper body as well. It's a bummer to lose a little strength in the lower body but I was able to maintain during those months as well. Good luck and let us know what the x-ray/mri results indicate. :crossed: Hoping for the best for you.

Mel: Seven Years! Did you know that the body completely regenerates itself every seven years. :yes: You officially have a body made mostly of chicken, egg whites, oatmeal, fruits, veggies, and lots of hard exercise. I think this is much more than an accomplishment of maintaining a certain bodyfat or weight percentage. :cheers:

Fran and Mel: Sorry to hear about the snow you've had to drive through. That's miserable. I really dread having to drive through snow and ice. I'm grateful that we just haven't had more than a slight dusting so far.

I'm heading in for my workout later this morning. I predict it will be quiet at the gym today, OSU vs. Michigan game today. I'll catch the score but I'm not exactly motivated to make peanut butter buckeyes for the thing. :lol:

Mel
11-22-2008, 10:17 AM
I'm not exactly motivated to make peanut butter buckeyes

Awwwww! Not exactly a maintenance food, but definitely one of my favorite Ohio discoveries! :drool: There is an small Ohio ice cream chain here called Handel's who makes Buckeye ice cream...good thing it's expensive and 5 miles away!

Better stay away from the campus area, Lydia- I went to one OSU-Michigan game and was astounded. DD and boyfriend are going to be there. I hope she doesn't freeze to death!

My knee is purple, but not painful or too swollen. Good thing, because I have a leg workout in an hour and a half :)

Anne- Although I'm usually badgering women to STAND UP when lifting, there are plenty of seated exercises. I'd avoid any weight bearing lower body work until you get a diagnosis. Fingers crossed for you :hug:

Mel

Tomato
11-23-2008, 10:33 AM
Hi gang,

:wave: to you all. It's sunny today but very cold and grrrrrrr, it looks like winter is here to stay.

Anne, good luck with the foot, I hope it is not a stress fracture. Never had it myself but I imagine what a drag it would be.

Killer Zumba class yesterday (1 full hour). I was totally pooped afterwards. I learned one important thing: I will have to bring two pairs of sneakers on Saturdays - I cannot do exercises on stability ball in my spiffy pink sneakers. It is hard to do crunches on the ball and hold a bridge position when your feet are sliding forward. My leg muscles got a workout just from trying to support me while I kept slipping. :D
My midsection was quite sore when I got home - all that butt wriggling in half-squat, etc.

Mel, shame on me, I forgot to ask Gary about the slideboard on Friday but I pounced on him after work when I saw him log on into Messenger. He said he just built ït "from hear" after looking at some pictures online. Well that is not much help, but he promised to take some pictures that I can pass along to you. I will go talk to him on Monday (I sent myself an email to work in order not to forget).

I will finish my coffee and then I am off to the gym to do legs. Then groceries and cooking. Have a nice Sunday.

Oh, I forgot to add this: after the Zumba class, I was chatting with a young lady (who also took the class) as she was weighing herself. She happily commented that she lost 5 pounds and I said "WHERE?" - she was so lean. She complained that her tummy is flabby and pulled up her tank top to demonstrate. I saw zero flabbiness (I would have killed for that tummy) and she said that it is so hard after having kids. She asked if I had kids, I said no, and she told me she had a 9-year old daughter. I said WHAT? She did not look older than 17. She said, yeah, I know, I look young but I am 27. I am pretty sure she gets carded a lot.

kittycat40
11-24-2008, 04:52 PM
back again-

Since I did that upper body workout I did feel a nice worked-type feeling in my triceps particularly. I did it again last night and my muscles were still fatigued from the first go-round. So, that's good :).

I'm reading along with all your posts and trying to learn. One of my challenges riight now is that all this resistance/weight work needs to be added to my routine. So, like all- I know, even fitting the current mileage in is challenging. Now, I would like to add in 3-4 20-30 min weight sessions too.

tricky stuff. but so clearly highly valuable. so- I'll get there.

Anne, I hope you avoided a stress fracture...
Mel, how did you get a purple knee?
Sportmom, I'm finding a winter sock need lately. my running shoes have netting around the toes--too windy!
Lydia, yes, those little and littler swimmers are delish!
-- and a hello to all lifting chicks!

and I have made buckeyes-- served them at a book club. most people had one and not much more... I thought they were a dessert failure but they got good reviews!

stay warm :)

WaterRat
11-24-2008, 08:32 PM
Buckeye ice cream

OMG, :drool: good thing it's way too far for me! :lol:

An announcement: I am finally well again (though still on antibiotics) and can get back to exercising more than the hit or miss when I feel okay business that has been happening. I intend to go swimming tomorrow (pool is closed today for a swim meet or something), and will do some weights tonight. Yay! I haven't gained any weight, but I feel flabbier.....

Fran - I enjoyed the descriptions of snow angels in your other thread, and may have to give them a try. Shoulders I know are very easy to injure, so i'm careful with mine.

Anne - hoping you're feeling better. Any diagnosis yet?

:wave: to the rest of you.

It's warm(er) here today - in the 30's, making our snow very soft and wet and - ick - slushy! Wouldn't be so bad if I thought it would melt, but it'll freeze in the slushy piles and make a mess.

sportmom
11-24-2008, 09:50 PM
Kittycat - did I neglect to mention that I had on my netted shoes too? lol Walking across campus and the parking garage in the flurries? Not a smart move! I really thought, what's the big deal, I won't notice.... I'm rotating them out asap! ON the way back to the car after I had burst a hole thru the big toe on each sock, it was even more fun. :doh: You'd think after 4X years on this planet I would know how to dress myself, but apparently it's still quite the challenge for me! :twirly:

So, I think I have decided I am not eating:
* well enough
* often enough
* enough

I am cold, starving and exhausted tonite. To sum it up in one sentence....

"While putting my bra on this morning was a non-event, getting it off tonite was quite another different story. I almost had to request assistance....."

ugh! Triceps - check, back - check! Opposite of the toilet problem, but a little dangerous for reaching for things out of the fridge.

I'm watching the videos and blog of a 12-week fitness program person on bodybuilding's feature story and will try to follow her eating a little more closely. I actually had pizza for dinner (family ritual on mon nite bc of a local store special) and came away after eating 2 pieces (chs only) thinking, how unfulfilling, empty and needing more I feel right now. Probaby not getting enough protein either. :rolleyes:

BUT, in the last 6 weeks, I've been able to adjust my measurements by dropping 2.5" on my hips, 1" on my bust, and in the really strange dept., 1" off my calves (w/o doing any calf work)! My biggest challenge is my waist, abs - the last place I put on all the weight and I guess the hardest to take off bc it must be a very different, thick kind of fat perhaps. Not sure. Used to be the first place I would drop. Welcome to your 40's and beyond, right?

WaterRat
11-25-2008, 02:34 AM
Welcome to your 40's and beyond, right?

:rofl: You got it in one!! But congrats on the inches lost! When I regained weight this last time, it was very differently distributed than it had been before I lost 70 lbs. It left my hips/thighs and landed square in my mid-section. Boo, hiss! Much harder to lose it seems. Still haven't got it all to shift. But, if I don't keep trying, I'll only have more......

On that annoying note, I take back what I said earlier. I am not recovered. Got home from work. DH was off to a yoga class and the cat and I fell asleep on the couch. Sigh. I am also very chilled, can't get warm, though I don't feel like I have a fever. I'm off to bed. (really - I just came down to turn off the PC, and well, got sucked in for a few minutes... ) Tomorrow will be better and it's a short week. :)

elisa822
11-25-2008, 08:31 AM
So I managed to lose last week's extra 4 lbs. but I'm learning to stay off the scale for the weekend and maybe through Monday/Tuesday as well. I go up and down so easily that it's just not good for my moods! When I was doing well, I checked in more often for my weight but only "counted" my Friday weigh in so that's what I'm going to try again.

I decided I needed more cardio, with the weather keeping my from running outdoors. I tried the treadmill but wanted to shoot myself after only 1.5 miles so I went back to spinning yesterday! It's been a long time but it was good. Definitely got a good sweat going so maybe that will stick for once a week.

Fran - congratulations on your inches lost! And I sympathize with the bra thing...it can be the most difficult thing to do when you're sore! The blog etc. sounds interesting. Is there a link you could share? And I hear you on the food. You summed up the way I feel about my eating.

And I don't know what a peanut butter buckeye is but sounds good...count me in for all things peanut butter! ;)

The little snow we got last week is gone but not for good, I'm sure. It's too early for snow...no matter what Mel says about living in Toronto! I'll accept a white Christmas but that's it!!

Today...yoga!

sportmom
11-25-2008, 09:57 AM
Elisa, here's her page, I find the videos most interesting. Start with the intro and then watch weeks 1-2. Both links are available at the bottom of the video screen. There will be a new video update on Dec. 2. Her blog is pretty interesting too. Just one disclaimer - she's incredibly young and without alot of weight to lose, so it's more the working out that's interesting to me. Although interestingly enough, she's only lost 2 lbs all month, so maybe I do have something in common with her after all!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sarah_jones_transformation_1.htm

Lydia227
11-25-2008, 11:44 AM
Fran: This is very interesting. :chin: Thanks for the link. I'm really busy the next few days. Who isn't right? Just wanted to give a big "Hello" to everyone. :wave: Oh. And congrats on the changes of measurements. :dance: I'm so excited, ~and inspired~ to keep my own focus here for the next couple of months. I've been holding steady around the 128 to 130 mark through Halloween. This was one my goals for this year not to use Halloween as an excuse to begin to pack on those five to ten extra pounds that takes all winter and early spring to peel off again. I just can't handle the mental burden of feeling like I have no control over those silly holidays when I really can do this. This was so much easier than last year for some reason. :dunno: Maybe just getting better at it.

Elisa: Nice to hear from you. :hug: Have a great yoga class today! I'm thinking of joining a new studio but it's a little further from my home than the current one. I just want to find the best place to call "home" before I commit to continuing my practice.

Enjoy the weather today everyone. :coolsnow:

AnneWonders
11-26-2008, 05:49 PM
I got a non-diagnosis on my foot. No fracture evident on the X-rays, which is consistent with a stress fracture happening in my time-frame, but it could also be a bad strain of a ligament. No running for a minimum of two more weeks, and the doc wants me to stick to machines for lower body. Other than that, if it hurts, don't do it.

If it keeps hurting, they'll have to figure out what is wrong, but I can't do a bone scan because that involves radioactive tracer and I can't do that because I'm nursing.

Anne

Tomato
11-27-2008, 08:09 AM
Hi gang,

My life has been quite chaotic this week and my exercise not as it should have been. On Tuesday, I had windows installers at home until 7 pm (that would be house windows, not the operating system Windows LOL - just in case it needs clarification). Afterwards, I did an hour of Zumba and I am still hurting. Our instructor had us pump 3 lb dumbbells during several songs and the legwork was also more demanding.

Last night, I was supposed to have my second session with that cute personal trainer and I found out that he by mistake book for tonight. I was actually glad it got cancelled because my mind was elsewhere and I am pretty sure it would have showed. Since I was there, I did 15 minutes on the elliptical and then I skunked off. Yeah, you read right, 15 minutes.

So the PT session (legs) tonight and I can actually have a 45 minute Zumba class prior to that (who would have thought I will become such a Zumba addict?) and then upper body on Friday.

I have been sleeping really badly the last two weeks and I feel like a zombie.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving - I will be drooling at the thoughts of you all having roasted turkey (all the good protein!!!) - I think Canada should have 2 Thanksgivings - one at our usual time in October and a second one in synch with the US one. :D

Alena :thanks1:

P.S. Anne - not sure if the no diagnosis is a good thing or not. Take care of yourself.
Mel - I reminded Gary to take pics of the slideboard. If I nag long enough, it will get done. ;)

Mel
11-29-2008, 02:02 PM
Happy Last Saturday in November :D

I tried to make up for 3 missed workouts this morning :rofl: I know I can't really do that, but I did a loooong full body workout with almost as many exercises as if I'd been doing "parts". I'm exhausted! It was hard hauling all the extra food weight around. The gym was unusually empty for a Saturday morning- I thought it would be mobbed with others trying to work off extra meals, but they must still have more to eat or are out "stimulating the economy".

DD and I went out yesterday at a civilized time and did enough damage to our credit cards that mine got flagged for potential fraud. I was horrified to see the video of the stampedes and trampling in stores. Yet another reason to stay in bed until 8 am.

I'm back to normal eating and working out as of today. Too many mirrors in the gym this morning convinced me that I really need to go back to losing mode because maintenance has been slipping for the past few months. I've only gained about 6 pounds, but it shows. :( And it's darn hard to do pullups with even 6 more pounds!

Have a good one :)

Mel

Lydia227
11-29-2008, 09:23 PM
Did everyone in the States have a great Turkey Day? The gym was closed that morning so I went for a seven mile run along the river. It's been months since I've done that and it really felt great. I found that I had to run most of it because when I slowed down to a walk my muscles were begin to stiffen from the cold outside. In this case, it was much more comfortable to just run it even if I had to slow down the pace. The next morning the tips of my toes were really sore to walk on. Time for new shoes. :dunno: But...my knee did not ache. :yay: Lets just say I felt lucky.

I was horrified to see the video of the stampedes and trampling in stores. Yet another reason to stay in bed until 8 am. Mel

That really was just horrific. Where is the sense of common civility? I can almost be certain that the employees of the store must have been almost out of their minds with this event as well.

I spent the morning at the gym instead. ;) Had a nice two hour cardio/upper body workokut. :goodvibes: Showered and then met up with my mother and sister for some shopping as well. When I returned DH had surprised me by setting my bike on a trainer in the basement. :dance: Of course I had to test it out and found that it is LOUD. VERY LOUD. Think plane flying overhead loud. :lol: The trainer I'm using was given to me by a neighbor who just didn't enjoy the whole indoor biking experience. Since it was a freebee I can deal with the noise for a while until I decide to splurge and invest in a more expensive model.

Silverbirch: The rowing is coming! I tacked on an extra 15 minutes at the end of my workout Saturday to practice. I think I may need to wear gloves when doing this. I've been lifting for almost four years without wearing gloves but the rowing machine made my calluses raise up with angry white welts when I was finished. ~sigh~ Gloves it is. Maybe. :D

Have a great evening everyone!

silverbirch
11-30-2008, 03:34 AM
Great news, Lydia! I haven't had the problem with my hands but gloves can be :cool: Shades too? The glare can get quite bad.

Good morning to everyone else. 07:30 here and -2 C (not sure in F but cold enough). Have a good day.

Tomato
11-30-2008, 12:53 PM
Good morning everyone,

I hope you enjoyed your turkeys and whatever else you were doing these last few days. I just got back from the gym (1/2 hour core class and then about 50 minutes upper body). I cut it a bit short because I am afraid I will get a big workout tonight or early tomorrow morning as we expect a big dump of snow.
Lydia, are you getting it as well? I think you may be in winter storm's path as well.
Yesterday, I did an hour of Zumba. We had our office Christmas party last night and I am afraid I OD'd on calories a bit. It was a buffet style and loaded my plate with a salad and veggies and a big piece of beef roast which was not that bad, but I decided to have a dessert. I had the most delish cake (fruity and fluffy) but the service was terrible and the waiters kept removing everybody's plates with half of a dessert still on them. I salvaged a few other people's desserts (at my table) but then my name got called as I won a prize (a completely useless set of 4 espresso mugs with saucers) and when I returned to the table I found out my dessert plate was taken away (I still 1/2 of the dessert left). :devil:
Ummm.... so I went and got another piece of the fruity fluffy thing. :fr:
Oh well. I also had a glass of red wine (but only one). I danced for about an hour so hopefully that offset the dessert somewhat.

I need to hit the store and get a new snow shovel as my old one is falling apart.

Alena

WaterRat
11-30-2008, 10:32 PM
Alena, that snow is working its way across the continent! We had about 8" over the past 2 days. Since it's the weekend, it's not as crazy as a work day. However, it surely means that winter is here! :)