Old 11-01-2008, 07:46 AM   #1  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Smile The Royal Procession towards the Solstice and the Festive Season

Calling all Royalty -- and you KNOW who you are! Let's all take a deep breath, join hands, smile and courageously forge ahead towards the Winter Solstice and the Festive Season.

Let's celebrate our sacred journey with a pledge to seek health and wholeness, in the knowledge that therein lies the purest celebration.

We're just about eight weeks away -- in that time, we can relax, reinvigorate and rejuvenate. Then, when the blessed day arrives, we'll be fortified to venture forth at our radiant best, into the ever-increasing light!

Pop in and post your own personal challenge/commitment. Let's get excited!

Last edited by Arabella; 11-01-2008 at 07:47 AM.
Arabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:57 PM   #2  
the sword bearer

S/C/G: 209/140

Yes...I read a book called "On strike for Christmas" a funny look at just what we do at holiday time and why do we do it...as wimmen and wives that is.

Have had another good day...took the breed, nothing in group. Again. But the food and activity levels were good! Grilled lemon pepper chicken, lots of broccoli, rice and carrots, and caesar salad for dinner. Still no booze...curious to see what the scale shows when I get home!
ceara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:57 AM   #3  
Changin' my ways :)

S/C/G: 338/298/180

Height: 5'6"

Perfect timing for a new thread!
I have an announcement to make...

*drumroll*

I am getting stronger!

I was doing a water workout yesterday, hoping to ease some of the leftover kinks from Wednesday training with Gym Jim, and I realized at the end of my usual 20 minutes that I wasn't breathing all that hard. I pushed myself harder for another 10 minutes, trying out a few new things, and I still wasn't exhausted or feeling overly exerted. I got a wild hair, and instead of just water walking and doing deep water running, I ditched the weights and decided to just run/jog it out for as long and hard as I could handle. It took 10 minutes before I decided to call it quits! Wahoo! I was so proud of myself!

The results are beginning to show on the scale as well. I did my normal new-workout-routine-jump-up of about 5 pounds when I started with the trainer. I had managed to whittle it back down to 303 despite the presence of Halloween candy/chocolate everywhere. But this morning the scale is reading 301, and I'm thrilled! This time I feel like I've earned that number instead of it happening by accident.

Obviously I'm excited. I'm also energized, committed, and ready to make things happen. My biggest stumbling block right now is journaling, and I've been making all sorts of excuses as to why I'm not doing it: my journaling program didn't switch over well to the new computer, I don't want to try a new one, I'm too busy today, blah, blah, excuse after excuse. Well, enough of the excuses. I'm perfectly capable of writing down what I eat and how much time I spend exercising every day. I don't need an exact account of every calorie as much as I need the accountability itself.

So, my first goal is to continue doing what I am doing. I will do two big workouts a week, and I commit to 30 minutes of movement a day every other day. Yes, those 30 minutes may be broken down into smaller chunks, but there must be 30 minutes total come bedtime.

My second goal is to journal. I will start with pen and paper and move up as I feel the need. The most important thing right now is to get accountable for my intake. Food will be logged, exercise will be logged, and I will take a moment for myself and give the entire day a rating with a quick note about what that number means to me.

My third goal is to make time to live, love, and laugh. I adore the holidays, and I want to go through them with the lightness of spirit they deserve. Heck, with the lightness of spirit I deserve!

That ought to do it. Wow, did I mention I am feeling good this morning!

Ceara, grats to you and your girl again! The shows seriously keep you on the move. I don't know how you do it, but it does sound like you have fun. With that kind of activity and eating, sound like there will be another nice surprise waiting at home for you.

Arabella, thank you for starting our new thread. It is just what I needed to get motivated for the upcoming season!

I'm trying to remember what was posted on the other thread. I know wsw got the pan finally! WAHOO!!! Anagram had fantastic results for her eye surgery! Another huge WAHOO!!! But I'm struggling to remember anything else this moment, and there isn't time to go back right now.

I'm running off to get the girlies to church. My honey is on long call today (means he has to be there overnight), so I'm going to spend some me time here at the house and just bask in the quiet. I should take advantage of the quiet time and get a bunch of grades entered as well. My students would appreciate that. Post quiet time is Gym Jim at noon. I'm almost afraid to tell him I'm not sore today, because that means he will push me a lot harder. Yes, feel free to laugh and tell me to keep off my lazy backside!

Here's to starting out fresh, starting out new, and being our best, most gracious, and beautiful selves possible!

Andria

Last edited by qsilver; 11-02-2008 at 08:59 AM.
qsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:40 AM   #4  

Smile Sunday in the Palace

And I almost said "the winter palace." Cold out there! Then it's supposed to get warmer again in a few days. Yesterday was beautiful and but

Before I go any further, I want to include a link back to the old thread because there are some posts there that may not have been read.

We had friends in for dinner last night and then went to a jazz concert. I made a layered Lebanese rice and chicken dish: mounded cooked, spiced rice on a platter, arranged roast chicken on top of that, and then sauteed pine nuts and onions. Sprinkled pomegranate seeds on top and arranged roasted garlic and lemon wedges that were cooked with the chicken around the edges. It made a very nice presentation and our friends loved it. Only DH felt a little cheated because he could tell there wasn't as much chicken in a serving as he would usually have had.

Oh, we're having our first snow today, intermittent snow showers. We just went for our long Sunday walk and it looked like a snow storm at some points and then all the clouds would roll away and it would be all sunshine and blue skies. And then back to snow again. I guess that's living on a little island, all those offshore weather things. We've still got a lot of leaves on the trees, some barely changed color and some ablaze, golden yellow, orange, red. Gorgeous when the skies are blue.

Ceara, is there something different going on that's got you travelling so much? You seem to be always on the go. Sounds like you're enjoying it, though.

Andria, you on your progress at the gym AND being right on the border of that milestone! Good going on that jog, too. When I was running (that's what I like to call it ) yesterday I thought "This is hard!" and then I realized, well, if it was never hard it would never lead to improvement. So I kept going.

Anagram, how are the new eyes? I'm still excited every time I think of it.

WSW, hope you're feeling better!

Kaylets, Kat

K, lies, let's make this a good one!

Last edited by Arabella; 11-02-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:30 AM   #5  

Bumping up. It's Fresh Start Monday, lies -- let's hit it! I've been doing pretty well but stopped journaling the last few days, eased up on the prohibition against eating only when seated, didn't get quite all my steps each day. And I KNOW that I need to really put in the effort to make a loss. And I'm looking at slightly over a pound a week to make Onederland this month so... Time to hocuspocusFOCUS!

Yea-ah! Let's take this day and make it work for us!
Old 11-03-2008, 07:45 AM   #6  
Changin' my ways :)

S/C/G: 338/298/180

Height: 5'6"

Fresh Start Monday is right!
Today is my day to not make excuses and to just get things done. Journaling is the top of my list. I have no idea why I let something so good and so easy to do slip away, but it does. Not today though. Before the end of this week, I'm going to see 2s in front of my weight!

Arabella, the chicken and rice dish sounds lovely! So do your goals. You really are that close to the next milestone, and I plan on being here to scream and yell the second you hit it. Is it silly of me to be slightly jealous of snow? Because of the past knee surgery I'm not missing living in slippery winter wetness, but there is nothing like the beautiful, pristine, white tableau set out first thing on a snowy day. Heck, our leaves don't even really change color here. They sort of get tired out one day and all land on the ground at once. Bizarre stuff.

The girls have appointments with therapists this morning (leftover CPS stuff), and instead of zooming from there to school, I decided to take a bit of a break for myself today. I haven't taken a personal day yet, and I need some prep time for my next big Canterbury Tales unit. I set the substitute up with all sorts of work I don't need to be there for, and I'm going to have a little bit of ME time here at home. Wheeee! I feel kind of guilty, like I'm playing hookie or something. Never did that while I was a student, guess I should see what it feels like now?

Andria
qsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:20 PM   #7  
the sword bearer

Well, yes. I am doing what they call "specialling" a dog. The dog is a finished AKC champion, so you enter in Breed only and rack up breed and group points. WHY? Some days I wonder. We have her in the top ten I believe by some systems and in the top 20 in the breed....for competition next October at the Bouvier National levels. It does keep me busy. And out of the pantry!

Got stitches out today and worked a 3 hour supply shift. I have 3.5 hours in my own workplace this evening. 2 loads of laundry going and dogs are out between rain showers. It is quite warm here.

Andria! Excellent work...you must be estactic!

Arabella....your ticker is decreasing too....YES!

'K...gotta go!
Old 11-03-2008, 06:47 PM   #8  

Hello alll!

LOVE the new thread! Yes.... a march to good things.....I would like a bucket of good things please.....

Anagram! Was it lasik surgery? SO glad to hear you are doing so well.
That's a good thing to put in my bucket!

Ceara! Your specialling dog sounds like a good thing too! I will put that in my bucket too!

Andria! Getting stronger is ALWAYS a good thing! That's going in the bucket too!

WSW! Hears to hoping your heat pump is working just fine..... Its time you had some good luck your way!

WoodNymph! Ticker going down is ALWAYS a good thing... My bucket is nearly 3/4 full now!

Do I have any of my own good news? Well, a little..... I was able to use 2 $5 coupons on two grocery orders.... You had to spend $50 to get th $5 off but Ground Beef was $1.99/lb which is a pretty good price in this kingdom so I have lots in the freezer. I enjoy an almost full freezer. It just does something for me.

I am still plugging away. Trying to stay on top of what I can control, and not paying too much attention to what I can't.

Easier said than done but I really need to make some space between me and stress. I've been broken out for about 2 weeks now and belive me, its not pretty.

Here's what this morning's Thought of the day was:

Lucky Dog....

Anyone who has pets will really like this. You'll like it even if you don't and you may even decide you need one!

Mary and her husband Jim had a dog named 'Lucky.' Lucky was a real character. Whenever Mary and Jim had company come for a weekend visit they would warn their friends to not leave their luggage open because Lucky would help himself to whatever struck his fancy. Inevitably, someone would forget and something would come up missing.

Mary or Jim would go to Lucky's toy box in the basement and there the treasure would be, amid all of Lucky's other favorite toys. Lucky always stashed his finds in his toy box and he was very particular that his toys stay in the box.

It happened that Mary found out she had breast cancer. Something told her she was going to die of this disease . . . in fact, she was just sure it was fatal.

She scheduled the double mastectomy, fear riding her shoulders. The night before she was to go to the hospital she cuddled with Lucky. A thought struck her . . . what would happen to Lucky? Although the three-year-old dog liked Jim, he was Mary's dog through and through. If I die, Lucky will be abandoned, Mary thought. He won't understand that I didn't want to leave him. The thought made her sadder than thinking of her own death.

The double mastectomy was harder on Mary than her doctors had anticipated and Mary was hospitalized for over two weeks. Jim took Lucky for his evening walk faithfully, but the little dog just drooped, whining and miserable.

Finally the day came for Mary to leave the hospital. When she arrived home, Mary was so exhausted she couldn't even make it up the steps to her bedroom. Jim made his wife comfortable on the couch and left her to nap. Lucky stood watching Mary but he didn't come to her when she called. It made Mary sad but sleep soon overcame her and she dozed.

When Mary woke for a second she couldn't understand what was wrong. She couldn't move her head and her body felt heavy and hot. But panic soon gave way to laughter when Mary realized the problem. She was covered, literally blanketed, with every treasure Lucky owned! While she had slept, the sorrowing dog had made trip after trip to the basement bringing his beloved mistress all his favorite things in life. He had covered her with his love.

Mary forgot about dying. Instead she and Lucky began living again, walking further and further together every day. It's been 12 years now and Mary is still cancer-free. Lucky? He still steals treasures and stashes them in his toy box but Mary remains his greatest treasure.

I have to go fill up my Good Thing Bucket.......
Kaylets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:46 AM   #9  

Happy Tuesday Royals!!!!

Here's today's Good Morning Thought:

Thought of the day:

"Do something for somebody every day for which you don't get paid."
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, musicologist, doctor

Question of the day:

"When is the last time someone held a door for you?"

Today's Interesting Fact:

Imagine a water bottle filled a quarter of the way up with oil. That's about how much oil was needed to produce the bottle.
-- National Geographic

DH has an all day meeting with all the other supervisors and managers. The purpose has not been explained. He is stressing.

I meanwhile, am going to hope for the best and wait until he calls me b/4 I start to worry too......

Meanwhile, I am enjoying the time change!!!
(Let me put that in the bucket!)

Old 11-04-2008, 08:49 AM   #10  
the sword bearer

Beautiful day out there...think I am going to walk a fair bit, and maybe woggle? My breathing muscles have recovered from the damage I did by not breathing correctly...I would rather have another child than go through that pain again!

Kay....sending good vibes your way for the day! I like the dog story....

Right. If I am ever going to get anything done....I need to boogie.

to all s. Have a great day!
Old 11-04-2008, 07:29 PM   #11  

Hello all!

Well, DH's meeting was about Labor Unions. And luckily, the 8 hr meeting was reduced to 4 hrs.... DH called me about an houir into the meeting and he was very much relieved.

That was a good one for the Bucket. Less stress is always a good thing!

Took us longer to get to the poll than to vote which is also a good thing .....putting that in the Good Thing Bucket.

Ceara-- Here's to your walk and continued convalesence.(Spelling)... I have to go back see what you did ..... stiches and breathing .... YIKES...

Until morning!

Old 11-05-2008, 05:53 AM   #12  

Hello all!

Wonderful Wednesday and all that.................

Here's today's Thought of the Day:

Thought of the day:

"The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live."

- Flora Whittemore

Question of the day:

"Do you believe in the 7 second rule? ( That food on the ground ohly 7 seconds is still safe to eat.)

Old 11-05-2008, 06:35 AM   #13  
the sword bearer

Mornin'!

Good news on the meeting Kaylets. In this climate.....

Had another really good day yesterday....found myself cruising in the fridge/pantry last night though....hadn't eaten enough during the day. Topped up on the calories, then went into the tub and read. My standard way of coping with this. I still didn't sleep all that well though. We'll see what tonight brings.

The weather has been very warm here....almost need to get out my shorts again I'm sure it won't last though. The nights are cool.

Alrighty...I have a brekkie set up with the parentals, and stuff to do...ironing and toenails! I know... what a pair....so I must be off....

Have a great day ladies!
Old 11-05-2008, 03:06 PM   #14  

Default So. I gave the rest of the chocolate to DS

GET IT AWAY FROM ME, I said. Yup, I succumbed, 2 days in a row. And felt horrible. And like I was in danger of regaining all the weight I'd lost. Those darn slippery slopes.

Anyway, it's gone. And I've pulled up out of that downward spiral.

Feeling wiped and under the weather, a little stressed. Which is probably what led to the issues. But these things happen and I can't let them derail me.

Oops, sorry for the me-me-me fly-by but I've got to finish up work for the day and then try to relax a little.

Take care, all!
Old 11-06-2008, 05:52 AM   #15  

Good Morning all!

WoodNymph, GOOD FOR YOU pulling up out of the spiral!! Sometimes just pointing the other direction is enough to change the momentum..... I can so, so relate to that feeling.....

Ceara--- Soaking in a hot tub is SUCH A GREAT IDEA..... I think the sensory change makes a big difference....it seems to distract and gives a chance to refocus......

Well, Queenlies, you have both set the tone for my morning, thanks for two Good Things for My Bucket.....I need to do the same for someone else.... Sneak some Good Things in their bucket without them realizing what I'm up to......

Here's something fun if you have an extra minute or two.....

Welcome to the 2008 edition of getting to know your Friends. Change all the answers so they apply to you, and then send this to your friends including the person who sent it to you.
The theory is that you will learn a lot o f little things about your friends that you might not have known!

1. What time did you get up this morning? 4:30-4:45

2. Diamonds or pearls? Pearls

3. What was the last film you saw at the cinema? Underdog!

4. What is your favorite TV show? ER--- Last season!

5. What do you usually have for breakfast? Toast w/ Peanut butter or cottage cheese with cinammon

6. What is your middle name? Marie

7. What food do you dislike? Anything thing too greasy or too spicy

8. What is your favorite CD at moment? I listen to lots of Chris Botti, and lots of Soft Jazz

9. What kind of car do you drive? Ford Focus

10. Favorite sandwich? Chicken Salad on Rye

11. What characteristic do you despise? Control Freaks

12. Favorite item of clothing? Anything Comfortable

13. If you could go anywhere in the world on vacation, where would you go? Grand Canyon

14. Favorite brand of clothing? Hmmmmmmm

15. Where would you retire? Will I retire is more the question!

16.What was your most recent memorable birthday?

17. Favorite sport to watch? Figure skating

18. Furthest place you are sending this? FL

19. Person you expect to send it back first? Hmmmmmmmm

20. When is your birthday? July 5

21. Are you a morning person or a night person? morning

22. What is your shoe size? 8 1/2 W--- in a well made shoe 8W

23. Pets? Dog--Lady

24. Any new and exciting news you'd like to share with us? Most exciting thing for me is already on the news; so I have been looking for dull and boring......

25. What did you want to be when you were little? A famous singer

26. How are you today? All in all, I feel good.

27. What is your favorite candy?

28. What is your favorite flower? Blue Iris

29. What is a day on the calendar you are looking forward to? Thanksgiving and Christmas. Spend the day with the family.

30. What is your favorite pastime? being with the family

31. What are you listening to right now? XM radio-- Watercolers

32. What was the last thing you ate? A Snickers Bar

33. Do you wish on stars? Sure
34. If you were a crayon, what color would you be? A great shade of blue

35. How is the weather right now? rain is coming

36. The first person you spoke to on the phone today? My husband

37. Favorite soft drink? Root beer

38. Favorite restaurant? My husband cooks better than most all of the places we've been....But we do go to Arners often

39. Real hair color? blonde ---now with some red

40. What was your favorite toy as a child? Farm house

41. Summer or winter? summer

42. Hugs or kisses? both

43. Chocolate or Vanilla? Chocolate

44. Coffee or tea? Coffee first in the morning, then tea

45. Do you want your friends to email you back? .yes

46. When was the last time you cried? Today as a coworker told me about her son's passing

47. What is under your bed? I would have to check

Here we go Thursday, here we go!