Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-31-2008, 12:14 AM   #1  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

S/C/G: see siggy!

Height: 5'10 - tall girls rule!

Default Slimming Suit (beware: dumb question inside)

I bought a slimming suit from Walmart made by Gold's to try it out.

Question...does it really matter if you sweat a lot when you're working out? The more sweat you make the more calories/fat you burn? Or does it even matter? I notice I sweat a lot more with the suit on but I'm thinking it's because the suit is plastic or whatever material it is and it's long sleeved and long legged...not totally plastic.

I'm not sure about this so I wanted to ask some of you with experience with burning fat fast. I hope it's not gimmick!
SBD Sass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:25 AM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Sorry - it's a gimmick!

Sure, you lose additional WATER when you sweat a lot, but as soon as you eat or drink, that "weight loss" comes right back on. The suits are at best just dehydrating. At worst? It could lead to dangerous levels of dehydration.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:33 AM   #3  
=D

Exactly what Mandalinn said - the fact that you're sweating more doesn't mean you're burning more calories. You're just getting dehydrated faster, and losing minerals.
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:07 AM   #4  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

This is good to know. I'll take the suit back. Thanks!
Old 10-31-2008, 09:28 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Well the sweat is getting the bad stuff in your body out faster--the same as drinking lots of water. I personally think my skin looks better the more I sweat.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:50 AM   #6  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
Well the sweat is getting the bad stuff in your body out faster--the same as drinking lots of water. I personally think my skin looks better the more I sweat.

I get what you're saying. I may just keep the suit afterall. I'm getting the yucky stuff out of my skin. Thanks!
Old 10-31-2008, 10:35 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Ah, the dreaded "toxins" and "impurities." Anybody know what these actually are? I mean, besides marketing terms designed to part you from your money?
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:54 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Height: 5'3"

I use it about twice a month to sweat and get rid of toxins ONLY. i dont use it for weight loss at all and i make sure i drink LOTS of water after
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:59 AM   #9  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

So, it's like being in a sauna...which rids your body of impurities and toxins. I'll keep the suit! I get warm in the suit and start sweating like crazy.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:07 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Height: 5'3"

its actually called a "sauna" suit but you have to be REALLY careful with it and drink lots and lots of water.
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:11 AM   #11  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

You wanted to return the suit after you wore it? Eew. Sorry, don't take it personally but I would hope they would not take it back (although Walmart probably would).
I am sorry to say but sweating won't help you lose weight any faster. If that was so, I would be like Twiggy by now. Cardio makes me really sweat and my last Zumba class on Wednesday left me literally dripping. (I really hate it, but not much I can do, and some of the other ladies sweat as much as I do).
Actually, I when I am buying workout clothing, I stay away from really plastick-y feeling ones. It may say it is Dri-Fit, Cool Max, Dry Zone or whatever the names are, if it feels very polyester-y I won't wear because I know it will make me sweat even more.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:34 AM   #12  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato View Post
You wanted to return the suit after you wore it? Eew. Sorry, don't take it personally but I would hope they would not take it back (although Walmart probably would).I am sorry to say but sweating won't help you lose weight any faster. If that was so, I would be like Twiggy by now. Cardio makes me really sweat and my last Zumba class on Wednesday left me literally dripping. (I really hate it, but not much I can do, and some of the other ladies sweat as much as I do).
Actually, I when I am buying workout clothing, I stay away from really plastick-y feeling ones. It may say it is Dri-Fit, Cool Max, Dry Zone or whatever the names are, if it feels very polyester-y I won't wear because I know it will make me sweat even more.
Take it back to tell them it doesn't work as described on the packaging. I've done it before with other things and they throw it out and refund my money.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:53 AM   #13  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

I love to sweat when I work out. I tend to be a water retainer and getting really sweaty helps me feel great!
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:27 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I'm with Julie on the toxins and impurities thing ... that's 99% a marketing ploy. Sweating doesn't "release toxins". Really.

Here's one source for you:
http://www.latimes.com/features/heal...,7913944.story
Quote:
But, Glaser, adds, in the big picture, sweat has only one function: Cooling you down when you overheat. "Sweating for the sake of sweating has no benefits," she says. "Sweating heavily is not going to release a lot of toxins."

In fact, Glaser says, heavy sweating can impair your body's natural detoxification system. As she explains, the liver and kidneys -- not the sweat glands -- are the organs we count on to filter toxins from our blood. If you don't drink enough water to compensate for a good sweat, dehydration could stress the kidneys and keep them from doing their job. "If you're not careful, heavy sweating can be a bad thing," she says.
The reason your skin can look better when you sweat is not about toxins - it's about the fact that what causes you to sweat is increased body temp. Increased body temp = increased circulation to the capillaries just under your skin to help cool you down. Increased circulation to the skin = healthier skin. Also when you get hot and sweat, your pores open up. Whatever dirt and dust is in your pores can get "washed" away by the sweat. (This isn't sweating out toxins, though). So you get that healthy glow from increased circulation and the opening of the pores.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 10-31-2008 at 02:28 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:35 PM   #15  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Photochick--not sure if you were addressing me but I never said anything about my skin looking better due to depletion of toxins.

The idea of the sauna (or whatever method you are using) and it's benefits is hardly a new one. Ancient Romans even did it. There is conflicting data on the internet on nearly any subject your mind can muster.

Every person has to find what works for them best.

Gosh, drama even here!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote