General chatter - Loose vs Lose

View Full Version : Loose vs Lose

Marathon Mom
10-30-2008, 11:46 AM
"If I lose weight my pants will be loose..."

I am having a debate and a friend insists it's "If I loose weight....

Can anyone please confirm...

I see a lot of instances where loose is confused with lose...

JulieJ08
10-30-2008, 11:55 AM
"If I lose weight my pants will be loose..."

I am having a debate and a friend insists it's "If I loose weight....

Can anyone please confirm...

I see a lot of instances where loose is confused with lose...

Yeah, your friend is wrong :). But I wouldn't consider this forum proof. Just use a dictionary. Lose is a verb, loose is an adjective.

MadelinRose
10-30-2008, 11:56 AM
It's lose. One easy way to tell: the double vowel "oo" makes the s hard (my pants will be loose.) The single "o" makes it soft (if I lose weight...")

I'm more than happy to spread the knowledge, as I've been a hard-line grammar policewoman all my life. I always read posts here as "I need to LOOSE some weight!" Wait, what do you mean, loosen your weight? ;)

mxgirl737
10-30-2008, 11:57 AM
haha that's one of the things that really bugs me. I can't understand how people can't get the right word in the right sentence. Like, their, there, and they're...or wait, weight....it's annoying.

It is Lose weight. Loose is if something doesn't fit properly and is to big. You are correct.

Marathon Mom
10-30-2008, 12:04 PM
Thank you.....

I wanted to make sure I wasn't losing my mind... and not loosing my mind... ;)

mandalinn82
10-30-2008, 12:05 PM
One more confirmation on that.

During weight Loss, you Lose weight, inches, etc. That makes your pants Loose.

JulieJ08
10-30-2008, 12:27 PM
It's lose. One easy way to tell: the double vowel "oo" makes the s hard (my pants will be loose.) The single "o" makes it soft (if I lose weight...")

I'm more than happy to spread the knowledge, as I've been a hard-line grammar policewoman all my life. I always read posts here as "I need to LOOSE some weight!" Wait, what do you mean, loosen your weight? ;)

On a related matter ;) I've seen a lot of posts lately about "weighting" oneself in the morning.

lizziep
10-30-2008, 12:49 PM
yay those things bug me to no end. sometimes if someone's email is bad enough i won't even read it. i'm a word snob i guess. lol.
i have a boss who refuses to properly conjugate verbs and i drives me crazy.
or - if i was here i has a boss who refuse to properly congugate verb and it drive me crazy. lol. she totally weights herself to see if she loosed any wait. lmao.

JulieJ08
10-30-2008, 12:59 PM
yay those things bug me to no end. sometimes if someone's email is bad enough i won't even read it. i'm a word snob i guess. lol.
i have a boss who refuses to properly conjugate verbs and i drives me crazy.
or - if i was here i has a boss who refuse to properly congugate verb and it drive me crazy. lol. she totally weights herself to see if she loosed any wait. lmao.

But capitalization doesn't bother you? ;)

aphil
10-30-2008, 02:26 PM
But capitalization doesn't bother you? ;)

:lol3:

Sorry...but that was funny. You walked right into that one. ;)

midwife
10-30-2008, 08:06 PM
I'm not bothered by grammatical errors or typos on message boards. I know I've made my fair share--especially when I am in a hurry or tired.

But I do have to brag a bit---my 8 year old daughter showed me a story she wrote the other day and she wrote "a lot"---two words!!! Tears of joy filled my eyes!! If my children learn nothing else from me other than "a lot" is 2 words, my life will still be well-lived.

>sigh of complete happiness<

murphmitch
10-30-2008, 08:14 PM
But I do have to brag a bit---my 8 year old daughter showed me a story she wrote the other day and she wrote "a lot"---two words!!! Tears of joy filled my eyes!! If my children learn nothing else from me other than "a lot" is 2 words, my life will still be well-lived.

>sigh of complete happiness<

Ha, ha! Too funny! I thought I was the only one that wrote it that way.

PhotoChick
10-30-2008, 08:21 PM
Typos and the occasional grammatical mistake don't bother me, but there are a handful of things that set my teeth on edge.

Your / You're
They're / Their / There
alot

Also I see a lot of people who use phrases or words that they've heard, but don't really know ... which sometimes results in a funny sentence, but sometimes just annoys me. :D

I guess I'm kind of a grammar/usage snob myself.

CountingDown
10-30-2008, 08:46 PM
On first read, grammar errors DO bother me. But then I step back and laugh at myself.
I have to remember that we are an international community and many of our members have learned English as a second language.

And - working in a junior high school, I also realize that things are changing when it comes to casual written conversation. Attention to capitalization, punctuation, spelling, grammar - seems to have diminished.

And - I'm thankful that few people here use words and phrases that have me running to Urban Dictionary to decipher. At least I UNDERSTAND the posts here ;)

kaplods
10-30-2008, 09:07 PM
I used to be very proud of my spelling and grammar skills (and I often can still access them if I concentrate - luckily for hubby - he asks me to spell at least three words per day). But cognitive problems are common with fibromyalgia (it's a neurotransmitter disorder, so that may account why it messes with so many systems in the brain), and for me that means short term memory problems and difficulty with words, especially finding the right word, and a tendency to spell words phonetically.

I've never had to think twice about two/too; they're, their, and there; alot/a lot; 've/of. Now I make all fairly often (I caught myself not long ago writing I would of - and although I caught it right away I felt like a super bonehead, since it was my personal pet peeve). I can still usually proofread, thankfully as the words still look wrong to me, but when writing I find myself using phonetic spellings for words (embarassingly small and easy words). I wrote tue the other day instead of two. I had just written the word true, so maybe that accounted for the cross in brain signals.

As a result, I definitely am more sympathetic to spelling and grammar errors. Nothing's worse than thinking you're now one of the people you used to roll your eyes at (I think it's now ok to end a sentence with a preposition, if not I guess I should have said, "Nothing's worse than thinking you're now one of the people at which you used to roll your eyes").

I think it does remind me that "pride goeth before a fall," not in that I think my difficulties with grammar are divine retribution, but I definitely do have a different perspective and find myself looking up, instead of down, in a way I wouldn't have expected. It's taught me to be more patient with a lot of things that people do that used to annoy me, because right now I annoy myself more than anyone in the world.

EZMONEY
10-30-2008, 09:16 PM
I got enough of this stuff in school....ummm....maybe not.

ray of sunshine
10-30-2008, 09:39 PM
What about the word irregardless... I mean doesnt that word just cancel itself out ... I dont care about all the other stuff but when I hear someone use a word like that :lol: I just have to laugh! sometimes I have to use the word when I am in a really dumb conversation just to show how stupid something is:lol:

Primm
10-30-2008, 09:46 PM
Grammar **** here! I have to work very hard to restrain myself sometimes, but I've made a pact with myself that I won't correct people on message boards.

But..."I could care less" is one of my absolute, all-time most hated phrases! Do the people who type that have basic comprehension? If you could care less, that means you DO care about something! If you COULDN'T care less, then you care the least amount about that thing.

Sorry, stepping down off my soapbox now.

Americaninuk
10-31-2008, 12:13 AM
It doesn't bother me too bad when i see gramatical errors on a forum. It does bother me when i see them on road signs, billboards etc..
My husband is English and I love the fact he says 'me' instead of my for the most part.. it's endearing to me.

alinnell
10-31-2008, 12:22 PM
There is no such word as irregardless. It is regardless. If you have to have a word starting in ir- use irrespective.

kittycat40
10-31-2008, 12:39 PM
I have the nerve to be a grammar snob. I also have the nerve to be a spelling snob.

I have the biggest nerve b/c I AM THE WORST OFFENDER of both!!

Can I share that I cannot use the spell check function on this forum. It told me I need to download something and I didn't. So.... I don't use it.

But seriously, I have these 3fc daydreams of going back into all my old posts and editing them to be correct.

Am I a total DORK?.... YUP!!

JulieJ08
10-31-2008, 12:51 PM
LOL, I think most of my posts are edited because I see a typo and cannot let it be :-) ESPECIALLY if it involves homonyms. I can't stand to think someone might think I don't know the difference between it's and its, or to and too. :o Sure, it's on my list of hang-ups to get over, but it's waaaaaaaaaaaay down at the end of the list ;).

Fressca
10-31-2008, 12:52 PM
"Irregardless" - brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department... can't remember where I heard that, but it made me laugh...

PhotoChick
10-31-2008, 02:04 PM
I think most of my posts are edited because I see a typo and cannot let it be :-) Same here. Probably 90% of my posts show an edit - not because I change the post or added more info, but because I noticed a typo or a grammatical error.

lizziep
10-31-2008, 02:11 PM
ha! you got me there- i don't care about capitalization. at all. online. only online emails and posts are fine but that's it. :)

there are a few phrases that people in my every day life use that drive me crazy. one is "per se" the person who uses this does not use it correctly and says it multiple times a day and it makes me want to cry.

the other one is just a peeve- I loathe the term "and what not."

mayness
10-31-2008, 02:28 PM
What about the word irregardless... I mean doesnt that word just cancel itself out ... I dont care about all the other stuff but when I hear someone use a word like that :lol: I just have to laugh! sometimes I have to use the word when I am in a really dumb conversation just to show how stupid something is:lol:

This word might just be my biggest pet peeve in the entire world. I had an English teacher in high school (let me repeat that -- ENGLISH) who would use that word daily. Eventually, a group of us got copies of every different dictionary we could find in the building and confronted her with them -- she just laughed and kept right on using it. She was just a long-term sub at the time, but by now she probably has a permanent position somewhere.. how sad. :p

Oh, and the other thing that REALLY bugs me grammar/spelling-wise, is when the person has easy access to a word, maybe it's even sitting right there on their computer screen, and they still spell it wrong. There's a video game I play where the word "Exalted" comes up now and then, and people throw all kinds of extra letters in it, even though it's right there for them to look at! "Exhaulted?" Seriously?!? Yeah, I grew up going to church, I knew that word when I was 8... but it's still RIGHT THERE for them to see!

lol I'm such a jerk... I keep thinking of more things to whine about... "should of," using "literally" when it's not at all literal (my SIL does that constantly!), and "rediculous" (mostly because someone once argued with me that it was the right way to spell it and I'm still offended that they thought I spelled something wrong). Does anyone remember the episode of Friends where they mention Chandler dumping a girl because she said "supposably"? I'd totally do that, too.

I'm playful with words, but I like to think that's more honorable than just being dumb with words. Some people disagree and think my occasional purposeful grammarlessness is even MORE annoying than honest mistakes. Oh, well. :)

JulieJ08
10-31-2008, 02:31 PM
I had a BF very long ago who used to say reinsurance instead of reassurance. Drove me nuts. So did the fact that had to talk about being reinsured so much ;).

asparagus4sale
10-31-2008, 02:41 PM
Ooh I love this thread! I, too, get very annoyed with the lose/loose thing. I live in TX and something that drives me bonkers is when someone writes ya'll - it is a conjugation of "you all" not "ya all"!! I also take great pride in knowing that cannot is one word but I don't really care if people know that.

Do you all (or y'all) remember when the Limp Bizkit dude said (at the Grammy's or MTV awards or something) that he wasn't in agreeance with the Iraq world. I don't know why but I loved that one - still use it (jokingly) to this day.

ray of sunshine
10-31-2008, 02:41 PM
"Irregardless" - brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department... can't remember where I heard that, but it made me laugh... OH my gosh thats just funny:lol: and using the word per se in the wrong context.... :lol: umm i can picture that conversation.. this is funny

ANOther
10-31-2008, 04:08 PM
My nails-on-a-chalkboard peeve is when people insist on capitalizing the subject-word they're writing about as if it were a proper noun or proprietary term when it isn't: i.e., "We must learn to eat properly to combat Obesity" (I don't want to steal somebody else's quote, I made that one up myself, but I assume you-all know what I'm referring to)

Fressca
10-31-2008, 04:16 PM
Ooh I love this thread! I, too, get very annoyed with the lose/loose thing. I live in TX and something that drives me bonkers is when someone writes ya'll - it is a conjugation of "you all" not "ya all"!! I

Asparagus, I can't help myself... but the grammar geek in me just has to point out that "y'all" is a contraction, not a conjugation... :D

Operator265
10-31-2008, 04:34 PM
LOL, I think most of my posts are edited because I see a typo and cannot let it be :-) ESPECIALLY if it involves homonyms. I can't stand to think someone might think I don't know the difference between it's and its, or to and too. :o Sure, it's on my list of hang-ups to get over, but it's waaaaaaaaaaaay down at the end of the list ;).

Now y'all(yep, I know it too) know why I don't post much from my PDA. It's a PITA to use the FN button all the time and it can be difficult to tell the difference between ' and , on it. The _ and - look the same also.

PhotoChick
10-31-2008, 06:06 PM
Oh gosh I love this thread. :) I'm so glad there are others like me on the board.

asparagus4sale
10-31-2008, 06:08 PM
Asparagus, I can't help myself... but the grammar geek in me just has to point out that "y'all" is a contraction, not a conjugation... :D

LOL - guilty! Haha.

Operator265
10-31-2008, 07:41 PM
ofourse4 - ikt don't coun t when yo9ur wering 2in HAloween finge4rmails.:p

Suzanne 3FC
10-31-2008, 07:43 PM
The lose or loose problem is much worse than you think. It was so bad that we actually programmed the forum to replace instances of loose + weight with lose + weight :lol: Really, try to post it!

lose weight - didn't work!

LindseyLouWho
10-31-2008, 07:45 PM
Oh my goodness! That's fantastic that there's a grammar block on this message board for loosing weight. :lol:

Honestly, the only thing that bothers me is when people switch up homophones or when people conjugate verbs incorrectly. I expect punctuation errors and run-on sentences on a message board because I think people are typing the way that they would speak in casual conversation.

PhotoChick
10-31-2008, 07:58 PM
I expect punctuation errors and run-on sentences on a message board because I think people are typing the way that they would speak in casual conversation.We had a long conversation on another message board I belong to - years ago - about this and someone came up with the description of tuxedo conversation vs. t-shirt conversation. I love the phrases; I think they're very apt.

Tuxedo conversation is what you write at the office or what you speak when you're talking in a business situation. T-shirt conversation is what you write in emails to friends, on message boards, and when you are just talking to your buddies.

I write on message boards much the way I talk in casual conversation ... which is why I use lots of dashes, ellipses, sentence fragments, run-on sentences, etc. My writing (to a large extent) mimics my vocal/speech patterns. (There's also the element that I was raised overseas, so sometimes I get mixed up with punctuation and some spellings because I tend to switch back and forth between British grammar and American grammar.)

However, while message board writing is t-shirt conversation, there are still certain things that make me cringe when I see them - not because I think anyone should be perfect on a message board, but because there are some things that are clearly not typos or that people use repeatedly that show that they really *don't* know the correct version.

And to be honest my "snobbery" is not so much about *them* and what they know or don't know, as an overall sadness that educational standards have fallen that low. It's SO EASY to know the difference between "your" and "you're" ... but SO MANY people don't know it. That should be basic knowledge and no one should get that wrong. Same with "there" and "they're." Or knowing that not every "s" ending needs an apostrophe before it.

Oh, and one final thing - I HATE (loathe, despise) texting jargon used on a message board or in email. I text plenty and use the appropriate abbreviations then, but on a message board, if someone consistently uses things like "ur" and "b4" and other texting abbreviations, I'll stop reading their posts. It annoys me that much.

twilit tera
10-31-2008, 08:26 PM
Ooh Oooh! :bounce: this is my first chance to vent about some peeves I have with my DH's speech habits.

I love him to death, and I have to really bite my tongue when he does this. Yes, I sometimes fail and correct him. I don't think it will really change the way he talks but I sometimes find myself doing it before I realize I'm speaking.

1. His refusal to use soft G's. the name "Giles" becomes "Guiles" and the word gist "guist".

2. His reference to finding a good "lot" to park in. They are parking spaces! The "lot" is what the spaces are found in.

Petty? Yes. Nitpicky? Heckyes. I don't make a fuss, but I've never really vented about it either. Hopefully, next time it happens, I'll be a lot more cheerful about it and not have to work so hard to keep myself from correcting him. :)

Ookpik
11-01-2008, 12:56 AM
I don't mind grammatical/spelling errors online, but it gets on my nerves when I see them in a newspaper, etc...the way I see it, if you're paid to write, you should brush up on your English skills!

lizziep
11-01-2008, 01:22 AM
tera- my husband has some of these that drive me crazy. i honestly think some of them he does to drive me crazy... when we were first together we were moving furniture and he wanted me to unplug something - but he kept saying "plug it out!" and i had no idea what he was saying or what he wanted and it ended up in a fight. plug it out. puh! :)

JulieJ08
11-01-2008, 10:51 AM
2. His reference to finding a good "lot" to park in. They are parking spaces! The "lot" is what the spaces are found in.

LOL, I had a friend who used to call them parkings. As in "Oh, there's a good parking." Or, "I hope there's good parkings."

ray of sunshine
11-01-2008, 01:53 PM
Ok I will just make a confession... I used to use the word boughten, I actually thought it was a word. :D now I cant even figure out how I used it because it doesnt even sound right... and I used to think a lot was one word .. oh well I guess nobody is perfect;) I am sure that I make a lot of other errors too....opps:dizzy:

kaplods
11-01-2008, 02:26 PM
I have to admit I was a huge spelling snob, especially with the homonyms, to/too/two - they're/their/there... and my personal hugest peeve - of instead of have or 've - I would of gone with you. I never had to think twice about which one to use. Then I lost me spelling ability.

I didn't really lose it. If I concentrate, it's still there (luckily for husband - as he asks me to spell at least three words every day). But cognitive problems are often part and parcel of fibromyalgia, and for me that means short term memory problems (forgetting entire conversations as if they never occured, and constantly losing things - and finding them in odd places like the remote in the freezer) and a tendency to use phonetic spellings. I caught myself the other day writing tue instead of two (maybe because I had just written tuesday).

It sort of feels like I've lost my mind, and I've got a rental instead (and a beater at that). I mean I never had to give spelling a second thought. If I made a mistake it was generally a word I was unfamiliar with completely (in which case, I usually looked it up) or a true typo caused by a slip of the finger (in handwritten script I've always had a very odd tendency to sometimes switch a terminal d with a g as in bang instead of band, when really tired - now this happens even more easily - weird).

Fibromyalgia is a neurotransmitter disorder, so I'm guessing my brain is just misfiring and connections that used to be there aren't being made, at least not by the same route. It's not quite an aphasia, but it's given me a glimpse of what that might be like. My visual spelling is still intact - so I find most of my errors with proofreading (the problem is I used to be so good, I never thought of proofreading, so I need to remind myself to do it). Now I feel like I'm grading someone else's paper (and whoever it belongs to is an idiot).

I wish I could say it gives me a lot more patience with others - instead I have a little more patience with others, and a little more patient with myself (but it still bugs me way more than it should).

Hat Trick
11-01-2008, 04:01 PM
Drives me nuts too. Nearly all of my edits are because, even though I proof what I read, once it's posted I see more typos and such. My biggest pet peeve is when people do not captialize the G in God. Not as in 'gods' but as in 'God'.

kaplods
11-01-2008, 06:20 PM
Probably, in part because my posts tend to be novel-length, but I've gone back and edited a single post more than a dozen times, because I found a typo or an error - or just an awkward statement I felt the need to revise (and then reread to make sure it was better - and then found something else I didn't like).

(this post took four edits - five if you count adding this postscript)

PhotoChick
11-01-2008, 07:35 PM
My biggest pet peeve is when people do not captialize the G in God. Not as in 'gods' but as in 'God'.But some of us don't believe in "God" ... so to us he's just another god - little "g". I respect your right to believe what you want to believe, but I don't want to be forced to believe it too. However, when I am referring to the Christian God or to Jesus, I do treat them as proper names in context.

EZMONEY
11-02-2008, 12:27 AM
But some of us don't believe in "God" ... so to us he's just another god - little "g". I respect your right to believe what you want to believe, but I don't want to be forced to believe it too. However, when I am referring to the Christian God or to Jesus, I do treat them as proper names in context.

Not sure how putting a big G on the word God forces anyone to believe anything........those that do believe just use God instead of god out of respect to our Lord.

PhotoChick
11-02-2008, 12:31 AM
Not sure how putting a big G on the word God forces anyone to believe anything........those that do believe just use God The statement was made that someone was upset when OTHERS didn't capitalize the word. Those that do believe are welcome to use "God". I prefer to use god. I don't think that someone should be upset at my belief system or my choice of what kind of god I choose to invoke.

EZMONEY
11-02-2008, 12:36 AM
The statement was made that someone was upset when OTHERS didn't capitalize the word. Those that do believe are welcome to use "God". I prefer to use god. I don't think that someone should be upset at my belief system or my choice of what kind of god I choose to invoke.

She said it was a pet peeve of her's when someone didn't capitalize God, not that she was upset....but I didn't understand how you felt that you were being forced to believe "anything" by her post.

PhotoChick
11-02-2008, 12:41 AM
I never said her *post* forced anyone to believe anything.

I said that getting "peeved" (if the word "upset" annoys you) that others don't capitalize the word "God" is indirectly saying that you're peeved that they don't buy into your belief system.

I choose not to capitalize the word god because I don't believe in an all knowing, all powerful god.

EZMONEY
11-02-2008, 12:49 AM
But some of us don't believe in "God" ... so to us he's just another god - little "g". I respect your right to believe what you want to believe, but I don't want to be forced to believe it too. However, when I am referring to the Christian God or to Jesus, I do treat them as proper names in context.

To me it seemed like, in your quote above, you felt like you were being forced into believing something....I didn't see anything in her post that would suggest that.

Really makes no difference to me whether you big G or little g God...it is a personal relationship with Him that we all have or not. As for me...it's a big G!

ray of sunshine
11-02-2008, 01:04 AM
Ok so I was at my mils tonight and she said something like it looks unwindy I think she meant not that windy :lol: I couldnt help but giggle because I knew I had to share it since we had been talking about this, i just thought it was to funny

lizziep
11-02-2008, 01:54 AM
hehe- well some family made up words are fun - we have a lot of them in my house. sort of our weird version of "couple speak" i guess. better then baby talk- yuck!

i had a friend named Wendy who would get upset if someone complained about it being windy- and said it's not her fault- it's blowy. heh. i've always just said blowy since then, knowing it's not right and just in fun.

sweetnsassyfied
11-02-2008, 01:12 AM
I hate this too.

Oh, and one final thing - I HATE (loathe, despise) texting jargon used on a message board or in email. I text plenty and use the appropriate abbreviations then, but on a message board, if someone consistently uses things like "ur" and "b4" and other texting abbreviations, I'll stop reading their posts. It annoys me that much.

My biggest pet peeve on message boards, People who don't use paragraphs! :nono:

At first glance, my instinct is to exit. Which I have done on numerous times. Unless of course the subject speaks to me, is pertinent to me, or I feel I can help in some way. If that's the case then I read the replies first to either validate or invalidate my intial feeling. If validated, then I will go back and read the original post. :^:

The war I rage between my desire to help and my wanting to :club:.

:rofl:

lizziep
11-02-2008, 01:29 AM
i agree- honestly if i see loose instead of lose i usually just go to a different thread. i feel a little bit like a jerk when i do it. i do the same for the text jargon too. if i have to work that hard to figure out what they're trying to say- it's not worth it.

Lovely
11-02-2008, 01:33 AM
Confession on this note:

If a message (even a text) includes the phrase "ur" I don't read it. :o Ever.

PhotoChick
11-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Ok so I was at my mils tonight and she said something like it looks unwindy I think she meant not that windyOh I use made up words all the time in speaking. I told my guy the other night that I verbed a certain word (i.e. made a noun into a verb (like Googled)) and he just looked at me like I'd lost my mind and rolled his eyes. :) He's a PhD scientist, though, so I guess he's often more literal than I am. *grin*

rileyozzy
11-02-2008, 10:26 AM
Once, I had to quit a board because of all of the grammar errors that the posters made. I can't help but think that people are not very intelligent when their writing is consumed with simple grammar/spelling errors.

LisaMarie71
11-02-2008, 10:46 AM
I love this thread, because I'm a huge grammar and spelling snob. I don't mind the occasional mistake (and I certainly make mistakes myself), but carelessness bothers me when it's taken to the extreme. I'm a high school English teacher, so you can imagine the nightmare that is my life!! Seeing the mistakes made by 9th and 10th graders every day and trying to correct them -- oh my!

One of my biggest pet peeves is the apostrophe problem. Not only in "its" and "it's" (I really hate that, and once I called a company to make them fix their sign because it said "Photography At It's Finest" and I couldn't stand driving by it every day), but also just extraneous apostrophes added to plural words for no reason. "Book's for Sale" -- book's what? What does the book own? Arrrrggghhh!!

NightengaleShane
11-02-2008, 11:01 AM
YES, I have a HUGE peeve with the misuse of words! Your vs. you're, loose vs. lose, their vs. there vs. they're, "should of" as opposed to "should have", and I'm sure there are more. I'm glad to see I am not the only grammar snob here! Oh, did I mention how amusing it is when people misspell the word grammar? ;) If I notice myself making any sort of grammatical error (or even a typo), I feel the need to immediately go back and correct it. OCD much?!

However, seeing these words misspelled/misused does not bother me too much if the person doing it seems halfway intelligent (otherwise - heh heh - everyone has their strengths and for some, those may not be verbal!) and/or kind. :)

CountingDown - the lack of attention to capitalization and grammar in middle school and high school probably has to do with instant messaging. I remember first getting AOL in 7th grade and talking with my friends online. None of them used proper punctuation. This later peeved me and I asked one of them why she did this. She replied with, "im just lazy n i dun feel like it"

JulieJ08
11-02-2008, 11:09 AM
OK, here's one. When did "yeah" change to "ya?" As in, "Ya, I agree with you," not "How are ya doing?"

I know, I know, it must have to do with texting. But whenever I read ya, my brain hears "yuh" (as in ya/you) not "yah" (as in yeah/yes). It just completely stops the flow because I have to stop and reread to get the meaning.

PhotoChick
11-02-2008, 11:19 AM
Oh Julie - you'll love this one then. I once saw the following: Ladie's Shoes.

Does that make you cringe the way it makes me cringe?

JulieJ08
11-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Photo, I can't give my money to businesses like that ;)

But hey, none of us will ever fall for one of those Nigerian-type email scams. Worst spelling and grammar ever.

But I just *know* that the longer this thread goes on, my chance of committing one of these offenses becomes a certainty ;)

Ookpik
11-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Oh Julie - you'll love this one then. I once saw the following: Ladie's Shoes.

Some lady was selling her shoes? :dizzy:

Other grammar mistakes that get on my nerves:

When people use multiple commas instead of periods. For example: "I went jogging,,,it was cold" instead of "I went jogging...it was cold". Just using that sentence as an example.

And people who put a space between a word and punctuation. For example: "Are you going to work ?" instead of "Are you going to work?"

JulieJ08
11-02-2008, 10:48 PM
Some lady was selling her shoes? :dizzy:

Other grammar mistakes that get on my nerves:

When people use multiple commas instead of periods. For example: "I went jogging,,,it was cold" instead of "I went jogging...it was cold". Just using that sentence as an example.

How about using ellipses instead of periods?

I'm going out on Friday night ... my sister is going to pick me up ... we haven't been out together for ages ... hope it's fun ... talk to you later ...

evilwomaniamshe
11-02-2008, 11:24 PM
I just chuckle when I see a typo, but I am one of these people who reads the newspaper and I can find many typing errors which makes me crabby! Hellllllllllllllo try and proof read before sending to print, geesh! :dizzy:

I enunciate my hellllllllllllllloooo, but this is how I talk. Does that make anybody cringe when I stretch it out? :nono:

sweetnsassyfied
11-03-2008, 12:39 AM
Bad Spellers of the World....

UNTIE!!

:lol3:

Ookpik
11-03-2008, 11:44 PM
How about using ellipses instead of periods?

I'm going out on Friday night ... my sister is going to pick me up ... we haven't been out together for ages ... hope it's fun ... talk to you later ...

OK, you're right, I just wasn't sure of the proper term...ellipses...

My local newspaper had an article today about someone's dog being attacked and "drug off into the woods" by wolves. "Drug off"? :?:

kaplods
11-04-2008, 12:05 AM
Drug as a past tense of drag has been upgraded from "incorrect" to "nonstandard" or peculiar to certain dialects (as in mostly southern), depending on the dictionaries (for american use only, in brittish english it is still incorrect).

In central IL, where I was raised, both were used, but drug was usually used more for an animate dragger (look what the cat (or my son) drug in), but dragged for an inanimate dragger - the hem of my skirt dragged in the dirt.

Americaninuk
11-04-2008, 12:12 AM
None of it bothers me for a few reasons. First off, none of us is perfect. Secondly, if someone is sad, frustrated, having a bad day, depressed, excited etc... they should be able to come to this forum, spill their guts, and get support, not graded. I learned a long time ago it takes all kinds to make the world go round.. when i meet someone in person, or read a post i try to concentrate on what they are saying..not how they are saying it..:hug:

WebRover
11-04-2008, 02:47 AM
Does anyone remember the episode of Friends where they mention Chandler dumping a girl because she said "supposably"? I'd totally do that, too.

I have a co-worker who uses this 10 times a day.

Do you all (or y'all) remember when the Limp Bizkit dude said (at the Grammy's or MTV awards or something) that he wasn't in agreeance with the Iraq world. I don't know why but I loved that one - still use it (jokingly) to this day.

And another co-worker who uses this one a couple times a day.

Amount and quantity or number are two of my pet peeves. You can't have an amount of discrete or countable items and you can't have a quantity of continuous or measurable items. It's not a large amount of people; it's a large quantity or number of people. It's not a large quantity of gasoline; it's a large amount.

I cut a lot of slack for folks on a message board. A lot of misspelled words are typos where someone knows how to spell the right word but the fingers get away from the person. I think weighting yourself is one of these. I hope.
Also as someone said, English is not the first language of many folks on the boards.

However, people who make a living with language, as TV commenters (don't get me started on "commentators") or journalists, have an obligation to speak with clarity and correct grammar. (Yes, I know commentator is accepted and in the dictionary. It still makes me crazy. As does the fact that commenter is being noted as incorrectly spelled, while commentator is accepted as spelled correctly.)

Then there is the gradual loss of past participles and the prevalence of misplaced modifiers. I digress.

It is interesting that the things that annoy us differ.

PhotoChick
11-04-2008, 02:57 AM
Amount and quantity or number are two of my pet peeves. You can't have an amount of discrete or countable items and you can't have a quantity of continuous or measurable items. It's not a large amount of people; it's a large quantity or number of people. It's not a large quantity of gasoline; it's a large amount.Oh this is a peeve of mine. It's the same with "fewer" vs. "less". If you have less money, it means you have fewer quarters. If you have less of a crowd, you have fewer people. Fewer is for things you count; less is for things you measure.

Don't get me started on "who" vs. "whom". :)

I cut a lot of slack for folks on a message board. A lot of misspelled words are typos where someone knows how to spell the right word but the fingers get away from the person. I think weighting yourself is one of these. I hope.
Also as someone said, English is not the first language of many folks on the boards.I do cut much more slack on message boards than elsewhere, but there are some things that you can just tell when reading what's been posted that it's not a typo or a casual mistake but a true lack of knowlege (your / you're is the most blatant to me).

EZMONEY
11-04-2008, 08:08 AM
Thank God for spell check!....some of us were better at recess.

JulieJ08
11-04-2008, 10:26 AM
I do cut much more slack on message boards than elsewhere, but there are some things that you can just tell when reading what's been posted that it's not a typo or a casual mistake but a true lack of knowlege (your / you're is the most blatant to me).

I have to disagee with that. I've never had the slightest doubt how to use those words (or other similar examples), but I still type them wrong. And the spell checker won't catch them.

PhotoChick
11-04-2008, 10:50 AM
I have to disagee with that. I've never had the slightest doubt how to use those words (or other similar examples), but I still type them wrong.Yes, but you don't consistently use them wrong across every single post you make. :)

I have a friend who is super smart - a PhD, works for the CDC as an epidemiologist, etc. And I *know* he knows the difference, but he still types "your" instead of "you're" once in a while. The difference is that he doesn't do it all the time ... just when he's in a hurry or not paying attention.

And generally, over the whole oeuvre of a person's posting, you can tell if it's a typo or a general lack of knowledge.

Just sayin'.

alinnell
11-05-2008, 05:09 PM
I just read something that was so funny.

"Your spelling is so bad your blood must be type-o."

just keep swimming
11-05-2008, 09:55 PM
OK, so I know I'm late jumping in on this thread, but I just had to mention a funny thing that I read once in a rant someone had written about bad grammar on signs, etc.

The purpose of an apostrophe is not to announce, "Look out! There's an S coming!" :lol:

jimaterry
11-05-2008, 11:01 PM
what i find interesting is some dont like the 'text' speak, yet TOM, MIL, DH, etc are commonly used in some posts even from those that dont like 'text' lol.. amuses me really.. text speak is really only abbreviations and the shortening of words to make them easier/faster to type in.. kind of the same as TOM,MIL, DH etc.

PhotoChick
11-05-2008, 11:06 PM
what i find interesting is some dont like the 'text' speak, yet TOM, MIL, DH, etc are commonly used in some posts even from those that dont like 'text' lol.. amuses me really.. text speak is really only abbreviations and the shortening of words to make them easier/faster to type in.. kind of the same as TOM,MIL, DH etcNope. Not the same at all.

DH, MIL, etc. are acronyms. An acronym is an accepted grammatical form.

Texting "words" aren't any form of acronyms, nor are they any form of standardized abbreviations.

It's a matter of using the appropriate form of writing for the appropriate venue. Texting words/jargon are appropriate for texting situations when brevity counts and the ability to type is restricted. It's not appropriate for other situations.

kittycat40
11-05-2008, 11:11 PM
I have a friend who prides herself on being oh so smart.
But she will always use "and I" in place of "and me" in all the wrong places! My mother was an honors english teacher. I get a little stuck on this stuff.

FYI, I always correct her ONLY IN MY HEAD :)

EZMONEY
11-05-2008, 11:23 PM
FYI, I always correct her ONLY IN MY HEAD :)

Now here is a smart woman!

EZMONEY
11-05-2008, 11:27 PM
....Texting "words" aren't any form of acronyms, nor are they any form of standardized abbreviations.

Just give it a little more time....the youth of the world has accepted it...that's all it takes really.

Fast food....fast grammer.....

Just a matter of time.

sweetnsassyfied
11-06-2008, 11:39 PM
Now here are two that are easy to misconstrue...

Affect and Effect

kaplods
11-07-2008, 12:32 AM
Affect and Effect - a good way to remember the difference is "if you can do it, give yourself a "A" - that is if it's a verb (you can do it) it starts with "A", but if it's a noun (you can't "do" a noun) it's "e."

JulieJ08
11-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Affect and Effect - a good way to remember the difference is "if you can do it, give yourself a "A" - that is if it's a verb (you can do it) it starts with "A", but if it's a noun (you can't "do" a noun) it's "e."

Weeelllll ....

Then's there's "affect" the noun, as in an emotional state.

And "effect" the verb, as in causing something to happen, to effect change.

;)

You can effect an affect. And you can affect an effect. But only if you don't want anyone to understand what you mean. :o

kittycat40
11-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Now here is a smart woman!

It's not that I'm smart. The person can be a little scary. ;)

kaplods
11-07-2008, 04:53 PM
True enough about the noun affect and the verb effect. And having a graduate degree in psychology, I should have definitely mentioned the exceptions (having used the noun "affect" frequently) However, in every day usage, the "rule" applies much more often than it does not. Affect as a noun, is generally not used in common usage, but by medical and mental health professionals (or those exposed to the terminology - patients and family members, for example. However, it is becoming more commonly used as pop-psych and self-help becomes more popular). Effect as a verb is also not particularly common.

But, like the "rule" - "i before e, except after c" - it doesn't always work - but it's still pretty useful (you just have to know the exceptions, which at least in the case of affect/effect, are fewer than the exceptions to "i before e," to which there are at least a dozen).