Nutrition and Labeling - How do you figure your % of calories from protein, fat, and carbs?

MotoMichelle
10-28-2008, 03:44 PM
I've tried FitDay and it just doesn't really work for me. What works with tracking my food is the journal I carry everywhere with me.

I write down what I eat and the calories, protein, fat, and carbs that are in that food.

I'd like to figure out at the end of the day my protein, fat, and carb % of my calories. Does anyone know how to manually do this? I've tried Googling but I must not be searching the right key words.

JulieJ08
10-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Protein and carbs are 4.1 calories per gram. Subtract the fiber grams before calculating the carb calories.

Fat is 9.4 calories per gram.

The total calories you get by these calculations will probably be slightly off from the calories you already wrote down due to rounding off differences.

After multiplying grams for each macro times its calories per gram, you can divide the calorie count of each macro by the total calorie count to get percentages.

A lot of people use 4 and 9 even.

raw23
10-28-2008, 04:16 PM
:eek:

Gosh thats a lot of work! :dizzy: Do you do that every day??

MotoMichelle
10-28-2008, 05:29 PM
Thanks, Julie!

Rebecca - Yep I do. It just works well for me and actually isn't as much work as it seems. For me it's more of a hassle to have to get to my computer, login and punch in my food. If I'm cooking in the kitchen I just got down what I'll be having and the nutrition info straight from the label or my Calorie King book. ;)

I like crunching numbers so it's kinda fun. :D