Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-27-2008, 11:44 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default My Halloween Pledge

I may have other issues this holiday but I WILL NOT do my annual face plant in a bag of Reese's Peanut Butter cups. I'll do my best to avoid temptation with the other candy too, but the cups are an issue for me, so I'm just abstaining until at least Nov 1.

Anybody else?

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:58 AM   #2  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

Good for you! If you know halloween is a 'trigger' for you, maybe you can make some healthy treats to set out, so if you do have to eat something it can be something healthy.

jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:24 AM   #3  
Chuggin' along...

This might sound like a wimpy pledge, since I do have a (emphasis on single!) treat planned for Halloween. I'm going to make these Vampire Cupcakes for the office - they just look so fun, and the recipe only makes 18, perfect for my building. BUT I WILL ONLY EAT ONE. No BLTs when I'm making them!

But I'm with you Anne, peanut butter cups and Snickers are particular weaknesses but all of those little fun sized candies are so addictive. I open one and that turns into 20 or so. I will abstain from all Halloween candy, I promise. I don't get trick-or-treaters and so far no one has brought any candy into the office, so that's half the battle there. I'll think of you ladies if I'm tempted.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:32 PM   #4  
No description available.

Those vampire cupcakes are adorable, Megan!!

My problem with Halloween candy is it is so hard to eat just one. One is fine, but then I want more.....

And it is all around me!

I join your Halloween candy pledge, Anne. No candy for me through 11/1.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:41 PM   #5  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

May I stick my nose in here, say hi and say to Megan1982 THANK YOU for that great link to the vampire cupcakes!! I think I have found what to bring to our friend's party on Saturday
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:01 PM   #6  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

We bought stuff at the store, but decided on a no candy route. We got snack packs of Snyders pretzels and Jax. They are put way up high, so that I actually would have to pull out a step stool to reach them, so the temptation isn't at eye level. I don't tend to binge on pretzels anyway.

However, DH did buy a bag of candy corn to eat (not give out). Candy corn is one of my favorite candies, and I have no control over it. I was smelling the bag like it was crack or something after we got home. So, DH has hidden the bag so that I won't be tempted.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:59 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiberlover View Post
However, DH did buy a bag of candy corn to eat (not give out). Candy corn is one of my favorite candies, and I have no control over it. I was smelling the bag like it was crack or something after we got home. So, DH has hidden the bag so that I won't be tempted.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:23 PM   #8  

This is working well already. I did NOT eat a piece of candy cause of this thread. Woot!
Old 10-28-2008, 11:18 PM   #9  

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
This is working well already. I did NOT eat a piece of candy cause of this thread. Woot!

Yes!!
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:07 AM   #10  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

I'm doing pretty well for Halloween so far. I managed to convince DH that we should not open the bags of candy until Halloween night, and so far they have stayed closed and hidden in the closet. I'm starting to call it the "dessert closet" because we hide all our sweets in there so we won't see them. The only time we go into that closet is to get the vacuum cleaner out! Obviously it's not too frequent of an occurrance around here.

We're having a Halloween party Friday night. I'm thinking about working from home Friday so I can avoid all the treats that will be around the office. I've got recipes planned for the party, and they're not "light," but it is my splurge meal for the week (I'm making "Dark Chocolate Graveyard Pots de Creme with Tombstone Cookies"). I hid the ingredients in the dessert closet too.

So my pledge is this: I will only eat Halloween-related junk food during my party Friday night. No candy before, no candy after. Any leftovers go straight to work Monday morning.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:31 AM   #11  
Meg

I pledge that no Halloween candy will pass my lips. Thanks for the thread, Anne!

(and Reese's PB cups are the )
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:25 AM   #12  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

I like this thread too! Here's my problem.... most of my damage comes from raiding my kids' bags-- and the candy we did not give out, on the days FOLLOWING Halloween.
I'm already too late on oriental trading trinkets and I bought only one very large bag of chocolates

(I looked for candy I don't loove but I didn't see it....didn't look too hard after spying this megamonster of chocolates, if I'm being totally honest..)
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:05 PM   #13  

One of my pregnant ladies just gave me a bag of candy. She is so sweet.....Argh!!! None. Shall. Pass. My. Lips. See this is such a good thread for me again. I have also walked by the buckets of butterfingers and abstained.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:06 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

I made peanutbutter fudge bars for my neighbors and boyfriend for halloween, and I can't express to you how beautiful they looked to me. I got so close to eating them I could literally smell them (my face was a foot away from the plate).

This was the first real battle of willpower I've had in the two and a half months I've been dieting, but boy was it tough!
And i don't even like peanut butter that much!
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:44 PM   #15  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Anne,

Thanks so much for this thread. My trip up began last year at this time. I distinctly recall the moment. I was certain that I was beyond opening the bags of candy and that they would be safe in my closet. Wrong. As I wolfed down maybe the second and contemplated the third I was pretty upset with myself. This was the beginning of a battle of up and down five or six pounds that lasted all winter long. I promised myself this summer that I would not repeat the same mistake.

I've admitted to myself that I'm really not above opening those bags so they must remain in my garage. On occasion they have crossed my mind. What is stopping me from hiding out in the garage with a handful of Snickers is that I don't want to feel bad about this six months from now. The voice in my head would scream at me while I'm cycling my glutes off that the reason I can't get to my bodyfat goal is because of the choices I made begining in October and lasting through Easter. I'm all done with hearing that voice this year.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote