Old 10-27-2008, 07:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 194/139/125

Height: 5'8"

Default OT, need advice...

Okay, so i've been doing part time temp work at a warehouse as their main admin/legal person.

I am the only female on the floor, but this doesn't bother me. The last few years i've been predominantly the only female, or one of maybe 10 or so. I'm used to working with men, and though you would think men with high rank with wives and children that call themselves "professionals" in the military would refrain from bugging girls for dates and sex -- that is not the case. I got pestered a LOT and there was a lot of attempted flirting, but all of it was harmless, usually sort of flattering, and I would ignore it or tell them to shut up. The point of telling you that being that I can take a lot of crap and it doesn't get to me.

Fast forward to this temp civilian job, it's a lot of the same crap. The harmless flirting, etc. but there is ONE GUY who keeps taking it way over the line and won't leave me alone. He's always making it a point to try and adjust the collar of my shirt, or touch me on the arm or pat my back and it makes me very uncomfortable. I've told him i'm happily married, and that he needs to back up because he's too touchy-feely and I don't know him. I have also told the boss and he said he would keep an eye on him. Today Creepy Dude came up behind me while I was making copies, snaked his arm around my waist and pulled me very close to him, so kneejerk reaction ... I elbowed him in the chest as hard as I could and would have knocked his *** across the Atlantic if some of the guys on the floor wouldn't have seen it and come running up to grab me off of him when the commotion broke out.

Anyway it turned into a big thing, with him screaming that I assaulted him and he was 'just joking'. The boss comes running in and sent me home the rest of the day to "cool off" and says he'll handle the perv.

That dude has been at the company for a long time and I doubt they will do much more than give him a stern talking to. I don't want to go back there, but I don't want to quit and have the temp agency fire me. What do I do?

Last edited by NishKitten; 10-27-2008 at 07:54 PM.
NishKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:01 PM   #2  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Hmm... I would 'wait and see'. If you really can't go back there, then there's a real possibility that the temp agency might fire you. HOWEVER, if you can provide written details of these incidents along with the fact that you spoke to your boss before this incident, I don't know why they would.

I would see what the boss says. Yeah, he probably won't be fired, but if that were my employee I would see him as a real liability.

If it were me, I wouldn't care about some temp agency. No job is worth having to put up with that (but I'm impulsive that way). And WAY TO GO in knocking him good!! I bet if you do decide to return he won't come near you anytime soon.

What a %&*(# situation, but unfortunately it's more common than people realize.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Height: 5'3"

If they fire you ... i say get a lawyer !!
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:59 PM   #4  

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug41 View Post
Hmm... I would 'wait and see'. If you really can't go back there, then there's a real possibility that the temp agency might fire you. HOWEVER, if you can provide written details of these incidents along with the fact that you spoke to your boss before this incident, I don't know why they would.

I would see what the boss says. Yeah, he probably won't be fired, but if that were my employee I would see him as a real liability.

If it were me, I wouldn't care about some temp agency. No job is worth having to put up with that (but I'm impulsive that way). And WAY TO GO in knocking him good!! I bet if you do decide to return he won't come near you anytime soon.

What a %&*(# situation, but unfortunately it's more common than people realize.

Probably a good call. It's just that I think if I lay eyes on his stupid face i'll be seeing red all over again. I left a message with the temp agency telling them what happened and asked if there was a way to get a different assignment.

I wanted to quit so bad, but my boss is the one who mentioned that the temp agency might fire me if I did and he didn't want that to happen over 'some jackass in mid-life crisis.'

The only thing is that he's very passive-aggressive and I don't know if he'll handle it the way he should.

I wish they would have just let me break his nose, then I would be alright.

Last edited by NishKitten; 10-27-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

I agree, get a lawyer! What a jerk, the guy and the boss! Good luck, girl!
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:26 PM   #6  

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NishKitten View Post

I wanted to quit so bad, but my boss is the one who mentioned that the temp agency might fire me if I did and he didn't want that to happen over 'some jackass in mid-life crisis.'
Wow, that doesn't sound right to me. Sounds kind of like a threat. It doesn't matter if you are a temp, you would think that his priority would be to provide a safe work place. Having someone invade your personal space after you've specifically asked them not to is NOT ok.

Hopefully the temp agency reassigns you and makes this right (and if they have half a brain they will).

Forgot to add: Document EVERYTHING, just in case.

Last edited by JoyfulVegGirl; 10-27-2008 at 09:27 PM.
JoyfulVegGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:36 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Way. Over. The. Line.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:48 PM   #8  
Let's do this!

Quote:
Probably a good call. It's just that I think if I lay eyes on his stupid face i'll be seeing red all over again. I left a message with the temp agency telling them what happened and asked if there was a way to get a different assignment.

The only thing is that he's very passive-aggressive and I don't know if he'll handle it the way he should.

I wish they would have just let me break his nose, then I would be alright.
Uh, wrong answer. That sounds exactly like a threat. I hope you mentioned that part in your message to the agency.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:51 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
Way. Over. The. Line.
Thank you! People keep telling me that thinking about it is making it worse, but I really wish I could have beat him senseless or something. I would at least feel vindicated or in control of the situation.

It's nothing compared to most assaults on women, but what in the **** made him think he could do that to me!?

Grrr. I took two showers and I still feel gross.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:59 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
It's nothing compared to most assaults on women, but what in the **** made him think he could do that to me!?
When a culture makes what happened to you so difficult to take care of, and makes you doubt yourself over it - that's the foundation for the worse stuff. And frankly, how do you know that somebody like that won't get pissed at you and corner you somewhere or wait for you at your car at night?
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:00 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug41 View Post
Uh, wrong answer. That sounds exactly like a threat. I hope you mentioned that part in your message to the agency.
He didn't say it as a threat or anything, I really think he feels bad about it, but he is right.

The contract I signed with the temp agency does state that they can fire me at will if I quit an assignment.

I think he knew I was mad and was trying to get me to hold my horses so that we can figure something else out and I don't end up losing any future opportunities on account of some idiot who can't keep his hands to himself. It isn't worth it.

So far all he's told me is that he is having the offender moved, and that he's alerted his bosses so that they can decide what to do with him. Way to pass off the responsibility! I told you he was passive-aggressive. Some men are just useless.

Where did all of the upstanding, tough as nails, stoic, authoritative men with integrity like my dad go?
Old 10-27-2008, 10:11 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/188/120

Height: 5'4"

Young Lady, you look out for yourself first. Lawsuits are made and won from cases such as these. And your boss is the one who should feel nervous. We all need our jobs but you can and should get restitiution for time lost.

Of course, knocking his lights out would make you feel better initially and the last thing you want is for your husband to come home and deal with this also. I understand where your coming from...

There must be other temp agencys around search them out. I'm willing to bet that the other agencies will say they would NOT put there temps in such a position - remember, your agency is making money on you being there and you staying happy!

Keep yourself FIRST and remember Your Just As Important
chunckymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:32 PM   #13  

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunckymonkey View Post
Young Lady, you look out for yourself first. Lawsuits are made and won from cases such as these. And your boss is the one who should feel nervous. We all need our jobs but you can and should get restitiution for time lost.

Of course, knocking his lights out would make you feel better initially and the last thing you want is for your husband to come home and deal with this also. I understand where your coming from...

There must be other temp agencys around search them out. I'm willing to bet that the other agencies will say they would NOT put there temps in such a position - remember, your agency is making money on you being there and you staying happy!

Keep yourself FIRST and remember Your Just As Important
Thank you. This made me feel a lot better.

I don't know who you are, but I swear as I was reading this I could hear my grandpa saying these words. It's just like what he would say.

I am taking your advice, and i'm going to watch out for myself. Julie is also right, he could be some whackjob that would wait around my car or try to catch me by myself again. I left the warehouse a message telling them that I quit, and I left another message with the temp agency letting them know too. I don't need this job anyway, especially if i'm always going to be looking over my shoulder. I've got two others (three if you include school!)

And now I feel much better. I think I might actually sleep.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:37 PM   #14  
Let's do this!

Quote:
Thank you. This made me feel a lot better.

I don't know who you are, but I swear as I was reading this I could hear my grandpa saying these words. It's just like what he would say.

I am taking your advice, and i'm going to watch out for myself. Julie is also right, he could be some whackjob that would wait around my car or try to catch me by myself again. I left the warehouse a message telling them that I quit, and I left another message with the temp agency letting them know too. I don't need this job anyway, especially if i'm always going to be looking over my shoulder. I've got two others (three if you include school!)

And now I feel much better. I think I might actually sleep.
Atta girl! You will feel really good about your decision when you get up tomorrow morning (if you don't already). Sleep well.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:40 PM   #15  
Mommy of 3 Boys!

S/C/G: 245/173.6/164

Well considering that you talked to your boss and nothing happened the first time I would say get a lawyer because that is sexual harrassment for sure and the courts do not tolerate it in the workplace so they got nothing on you. Especially if they want to fire you!! That company is totally going to get their you know whats kicked Just dont do nothing because I'm sure you will not be the last woman in that place. Good luck!
Blcarter84 is offline   Reply With Quote