Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-27-2008, 12:35 PM   #1  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

Default worried about rapid weight loss

You don't see THAT title very often do ya?

So this month I have been doing things right and just about 100% on plan. I eat three meals and two snacks, all healthy food and a good mix of protein, carbs and fat. I exercise just about every day give or take for 45-60 minutes, mostly cardio (run/walk combo or swimming). I gave up drinks with calories except every once in a while (maybe once a week). I eat chicken, beef, rice (brown), pasta (WW usually), tuna - I don't restrict any one type of food except for straight junk food, and I eat enough fruits and veggies as sides and snacks. Portion wise I eat enough and I don't count calories but if I did I assume I would probably be around 1400 per day.

So, I shouldn't be complaining but I am a bit worried about the speed of my weight loss. If 2 pounds is a normal amount to lose per week, I would feel comfortable losing 1-3 pounds but lately I have been losing a lot more than that. Since October 1st I have lost 12 pounds. Yes, I am jumping for joy but I also don't want to overdo it. Is this something to worry about? I don't want to do damage to my body by losing too quickly, but I also don't want to stall out altogether. Is there a happy medium I am missing?

Thanks for any advice you can give me!
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:39 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Weight loss rates vary....my body went through "quick losing" streaks, then stalled out for a few weeks. In fact, I -only- ever really lose the week after TOM. If you looked at my loss for a week, it'd seem fast (3-6 lbs within that week). But in the context of the month, it would make more sense.

I'd probably add up calories for a few days, just to make sure you're not horribly overestimating and at starvation levels, and then I'd just enjoy it. Fast losses are really only inherently unhealthy and unsustainable if the methods you use to cause the loss are unsustainable, and that doesn't appear to be the case.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:55 PM   #3  
Believe it, be it

S/C/G: 198/ticker/125

Height: 5'0"

Nah, sounds like you're doing good. I've already lost about 10 pounds since Sept 29th, so I think it's just a matter of our bodies hitting different peaks and what have you. As long as there isn't starvation as mand said, you should be okay.
RangerChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:02 PM   #4  
just a girl

S/C/G: 215/196/135

Height: 5'6''

I'm experiencing somewhat the same thing as you are. The thing is that I have DRASTICALLY changed how I eat. I have lost about 5 pounds this first week. Before starting my plan I was maintaing 215 and eating really really BAD things. I don't expect to keep losing at this rate, because I'm sure my body is going to adjust to the new lifestyle, but it seems that after such major changes this would naturally follow. If you're worried about doing damage to your body you could always ask you doctor.
foxsealady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Again, I agree with Mandalinn.

Even when I am strictly on plan, I don't always lose consistently. I may hold steady for a while, then *wham* lose 5 lbs in a week. As long as you know you're not eating below a healthy level of calories for a long period, that you're getting the nutrition you need, and that you're exercising healthily, then I'd say just enjoy the little "whoosh" you're getting.

I'd also consider that weather may have a lot to do with it. If it's cold where you are, your metabolism may be shifting up for the winter to help keep you warm. Some people tend to lost more weight when it's cold and some people tend to go the other direction. Maybe you're one of the lucky ones!~

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:21 PM   #6  

Height: 5'9"

I also have been noticing this for the last few weeks(losing weight rapidly). I'm not complaining though. I know it won't last, but wish it would!

Last edited by luvja; 10-27-2008 at 01:21 PM.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

I agree, calorie count for a few days, just so you know better. If you aren't already, I'd add in some of those healthy nuts!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:41 PM   #8  
FB

Thanks for bringing this up - I've dealt with this issue too this month and have been worrying myself like crazy, because - like you said - it's not something you hear of too often.

I'm very careful with my intake and energy expenditure, have been extremely consistent since starting and have never experienced fast, fast loss so I was pretty much taken aback when it started happening.

Anyhow, you're not alone! All of the weight I've lost in the last 5-6 weeks happened to come off in the last week.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:43 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Holy ...! FB are you really 2 lbs from your goal? That's AWESOME!!!!!

Yay for you.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:47 PM   #10  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

For October my weekly weigh ins have gone like this:

10/6 199 (-1 pound)
10/13 194 (-5 pounds)
10/20 192 (-2 pounds)
10/27 187 (-5 pounds)

So I guess overall two out of four of those weeks were "normal" for losing. I did some sample days from last week on TDP and I was between 1300-1600 each day. I guess I should just be excited and ride this as long as it lasts.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I just need to make sure I am doing okay sometimes
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:49 PM   #11  
FB

Oh Photo! Thanks! You've made my morning.

But really, I don't know WHAT my goal is. I've just been taking it five pounds at a time since losing 100 - otherwise I get overwhelmed.

At 5'10" I'm currently around 171 - so that's still not a healthy weight I guess. I dunno anymore. I figure I'll just keep doing little 5 pound goals until I get there - wherever 'there' is.

I lift a lot, a lot - so I know I'll weigh more than I used to. Right now I'm wearing clothes that I saved from 10 years ago, but I was 20 pounds lighter! The power of muscle!

Sorry - back to previously scheduled programming. I'll continue my muddled quest to an unknown goal.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:21 PM   #12  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

I had two weeks in a row in August where I lost 4 pounds, which completely shocked me--especially since I didn't really change anything much (it was like the loss just came out of nowhere). And in October, I've basically lost nothing so far, probably due to letting some bad habits creep back in...but this week I think I will have a large-ish loss since cutting those bad habits back out. All I'm really saying is, like others have said, weight loss is weird. If you know you're doing what's healthy, then don't let yourself worry about it.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:08 PM   #13  
frustrated foodie

S/C/G: 237/223/size 10/12

Height: 5'5.5"

The last time I lost it was really fast (and when I look back on it maybe not as healthy as it could have been) I lost 160 lbs in 13 months. I wasn't able to maintain that fast loss. You seem to be doing okay as far as calorie intake, etc, so I would just feel blessed that your body loses a little faster (and remember that when you plateau.) I agree that you should calorie count to get a baseline, and make sure you are training your muscles to ensure you're not losing them instead of the weight you want to lose!
owlmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:01 PM   #14  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Every couple of months I'll go through a rapid weight loss phase. I enjoy it while it lasts. I haven't changed the way I eat since beginning my healthy diet. Sometime I lose a little (or none) and sometimes I lose a lot. Within the last month I hit the motherload...LOL. For 3 consecutive weeks I lost, 4 pounds, 3 pounds, and then 5 pounds but nothing the week before or the week after! So actually I lost 12 pounds in 5 weeks. Average of 2.4. which is pretty normal. Just in time for my 25 year class reunion!

Last edited by Lori Bell; 10-27-2008 at 09:02 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:06 PM   #15  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Cakses, you said you've recently gotten 100% on plan, and given up all caloric drinks...if I'm reading that correctly from your original post. If that's a big change to your diet, I wouldn't be surprised if you're throwing off weight quickly, a lot of which could be water weight, if your eating wasn't right on plan before this month. I don't think I'd worry at this point, but would rather just enjoy it.

Last edited by jamsk8r; 10-27-2008 at 11:11 PM.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote