Old 10-26-2008, 06:21 PM   #1  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default yet another newbie

I dont have an interesting story, must slowly getting fatter as the years creep up. I am fortunate to have work I love, a wonderful spouse, a nice place to live and enough money to be happy but still need to work.
Yet I can't keep my eating under control. I binge on junk. I wrote in the intro forum that I'm not even sure I am ready to give up the junk food. I can and do eat healthy and well, and add the junk into the mix.
I have a big problem with portion sizes, stopping when full, needing to eat beyond full.
I did go thru a time of poverty in my life, but never really went hungry, but good food was something that I have enjoyed since getting good work and leaving poverty behind. Other than that, I really don't see any psychological reason I need to eat so much.
I used to be that thin girl that many hated. I could eat anything, and often did, without gaining. So I have a lifetime of bad eating habits behind me.
I can't blame kids & pregnancy for the weight, I did gain a lot with both pregnancies, (50 lb and 30 lbs respectively) but lost it easily after the babies came. (of course breastfeeding helped, but thats not currently an option )
I did gain while on night shifts, as I said with the posts about 3rd shifting. I now work on call, so have a crazier schedule than ever.
What I do right is that I exercise some virtually every day. I have a dog, so she gets walked by me at least once a day. I also go to a yoga class and a pilates class every week. The classes make me keep to a schedule. I sometimes do yoga to a dvd or tv show a couple of times a week.
I eat lots of veggies, and get a well balanced diet, (just to much of it) and I can sleep well most of the time.
So Im here for inspiration, to help me want the changes enough to go with it. Thanks to all the others who post their stories for the benefit of others.

fatmad
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:22 PM   #2  
Let's Get Going!!!

Default Wow, you posted a month ago and nobody replied!!

I hope you are still here. We sound like we are in the same boat. Except I am single and have one kid. I have a good job and am not as happy as you seem to be.

But I do over eat, especially at night. I need to find a way to put a muzzle on. About 5 years ago, I closed the kitchenat 6:00 and man, I stuck to it. I was 44 at the time and I got skinnier than I have ever been.

Now, I can't do it. I even get up to eat something right before I turn out the light to sleep. Awful.

HELP
dmc2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:57 AM   #3  
Madeleine

DMC: keep coming. I have managed to get some control of binge eating, and have decreased my portion sizes to some extent.
Without going on any formal "diet" I have started to lose weight. I expect at some point I will get more formal, but for now, shedding the bad habits is more important, as the habits will sabotage any "diet" I might try.
Also, I have found the concept of mini-goals very helpful, and this was totally new to me.
The forums have been a great support. I hope you will find this to be true for you too.
Best wishes
Old 12-01-2008, 04:13 PM   #4  
Let's Get Going!!!

Thanks FMad,
I will keep coming. I try to journal, its so boring. Yesterday was a complete bust, I just pigged out last night.

today, been really good so far and hope to get better.

Its the first, so clean slate!!!

;-)
dmc2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:48 AM   #5  
Madeleine

Default learning more

Dmc, you might find the binge support forum helpful.
Somehow, being "good" during the day, can sabotage us. We don't eat enough calories early on in the day, and take to bingeing later.
By eating well through the days, I have managed not to binge as much. In over a month, I had *one* binge, and it was accidental, at a grey cup party (football final in Canada) where I didn't realize how much I ate.
(was still much less than most binges, but I have gotten used to smaller portions)
Without any formal "diet" I am losing weight, by portion control and not bingeing.
Wahoo!