Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-26-2008, 05:44 PM   #1  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Default Why you need SLEEP, EXERCISE, MORE PROTEIN, and LESS CARB

Greetings, Friendly Fowl!

I've been reading about the role of hormones in the body, and specifically, growth hormone (GH).

This hormone, as the name implies, is responsible for cell division and growth, especially during childhood and adolescence, but it also has effects all throughout life:

- It stimulates protein synthesis--to build muscle and repair many different tissues.
- It increases lipid metabolism--GH stimulates fat burning for energy so that protein is not burned (this is called protein sparing).
- It increases carbohydrate sparing--GH reduces the need of most cells to use glucose, meaning more is available for the brain (which HAS to have it) and for storage. So, if cells aren't burning protein, and they aren't burning carbohydrate, what's left? FAT!

Growth hormone has its greatest effects on bones, muscles, and cartilage, stimulating the cells that produce these tissues to grow and make their stuff. Thus it increases bone strength, muscle mass, and cartilage production.

So, what does this have to do with the title of this thread? Well, GH is produced naturally in the body at certain times--for example, during the first 2 hours of deep sleep every night. If you're missing out on deep sleep because you drink too much caffeine, stay up too late, have your sleep interrupted... well, your GH levels might drop.

GH is also produced in high levels when you exercise vigorously--an even higher level than during deep sleep!

A high-protein meal stimulates the production of GH.

A high-carbohydrate meal suppresses the production of GH. (This may explain why going off-plan and eating lots of carbs and sweet stuff can stall weight loss for awhile.)

Although GH declines with age, regular exercise, proper diet, and proper sleep can increase it--and help you to burn fat.

Now, you might think the answer is GH supplements. But unfortunately, studies using supplemented GH injections are not conclusive, and there are some possible side effects. In fact, GH is an FDA controlled substance and cannot be obtained without a prescription. Any ads you see offering growth hormone are either a scam, or are really selling some sort of supplement supposed to "increase" GH. Don't fall for them.

Your body makes GH anyway! No need to take more... Just do those healthy things... "What! Can it really be that simple?"

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 10-26-2008 at 05:47 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:19 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Jay - I was reading something about exercise and GH not too long ago. The interesting thing is that it helps build muscles, even for muscles that you don't actively exercise. So if you are doing squats (lower body exercise), your body will produce GH and release it throughout the body so that your upper body will use it to help build muscle as well.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

Do either of you know how different types carbs affect GH levels? Or if they do at all?
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:46 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

I've seen some information that says low glycemic index foods are better than high glycemic index foods--but that just makes sense anyway, and I'm not sure about the reliability of those sources.

You can overeat on any kind of carb, though.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 10-26-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've been paying attention to the GH studies, as it may also play a role in fibromyalgia symptoms (some theorize a major role). Some fibro patients are jumping the gun and finding doctors (in the US or even Mexico) to prescribe it. There's no proof this is safe or effective, but it has quite a following because of the promise of quick and dramatic results.

The rheumatologist that spoke at our local fibro support group, stressed Sleep, exercise, and diet (and in that order of importance, for most folks with fibro) is the most effective treatment for fibro. Interestingly while there's no proven "fibromyalgia diet," a diet high in carbohydrates (especially high GI carbs) is often reported to trigger or worsen flares. Many folks with fibromyalgia find that a higher protein, lower carb diet helps control symptoms (I'm one).

If GH does play a role in fibromyalgia, it could account for why the disorder has become so common, because in general, we sleep and exercise less, and eat a higher GI carb diet than people have in the past.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Now, you might think the answer is GH supplements. But unfortunately, studies using supplemented GH injections are not conclusive, and there are some possible side effects. In fact, GH is an FDA controlled substance and cannot be obtained without a prescription.
Scary to think about anyone being naive about hormones. Hormones are complex and powerful. GH excess is the problem in acromegaly - Andre the Giant. GH has extensive effects. Want insulin resistance anyone?
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 10:24 PM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Yes, one of the concerns with GH injections is that there could be an increase in diabetes. Nope! I'll make my own, thanks! Right in my own little pituitary gland.

Jay
Old 10-27-2008, 09:16 AM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Bump!

Jay
Old 10-27-2008, 03:35 PM   #9  

Height: 5'-2"

Wow! That's so interesting, Jay!
I'm going to make a good dinner with lots of protein and no processed carbs, get on my exercise bike (I have to work up a real sweat, eh?), and get a good sleep tonight.
I knew all that stuff makes me feel good, but it's nice to know why! I'm off to produce some GH!
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:03 PM   #10  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

Anything that stresses more sleep is a-ok by me! Interesting info; thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Jay - I was reading something about exercise and GH not too long ago. The interesting thing is that it helps build muscles, even for muscles that you don't actively exercise. So if you are doing squats (lower body exercise), your body will produce GH and release it throughout the body so that your upper body will use it to help build muscle as well.
I've often times thought this. Nice to know it!
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote