General chatter - Parkour

View Full Version : Parkour

mazza
10-25-2008, 09:43 PM
I'm just now really learning about this. It's amazing - what these people do.

Does anyone here do, or know people who do parkour?

In case you're wondering what I'm talking about...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkour :

"Parkour (sometimes abbreviated to PK) or "the art of movement" is an activity with the aim of moving from one point to another as efficiently and quickly as possible, using principally the abilities of the human body. It is meant to help one overcome obstacles, which can be anything in the surrounding environment—from branches and rocks to rails and concrete walls—and can be practiced in both rural and urban areas. Parkour practitioners are referred to as traceurs, or traceuses for females.

Founded by David Belle in France, parkour focuses on practicing efficient movements to develop one's body and mind to be able to overcome obstacles in an emergency."

JulieJ08
10-25-2008, 09:55 PM
I don't really know anything about it except reading a bit and seeing a youtube video. Looks pretty wild.

PhotoChick
10-25-2008, 09:56 PM
If you see the last James Bond movie (the Daniel Craig one), the first chase scene at the very beginning - the bad guy is doing Parkour. It's really amazing.

iriswhispers
10-25-2008, 10:17 PM
wow I never heard of it before but suddenly I want to do it...

mazza
10-25-2008, 10:24 PM
They have parkour gyms and everything. Parkour australia has classes. A friend has convinced me to try it, not that it took much effort for him to persuade me.

RoyalAthena
10-26-2008, 01:21 AM
This is way cool. They walk the walls. I have seen this in movies , mostly action movies, and been amazed. This has been around for a LONG time. I like old movies. One of my favs has this in it. Donald O'Connor did a dance move where he incorporated this parkour into it. He walked the wall. This was in Singin In The Rain!! Gene Kelly rules!!

mazza
10-27-2008, 04:11 AM
I'm thinking of going to a class either this friday or next tuesday. Should be really interesting.