Old 10-25-2008, 07:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Any ideas for low-cal french fry replacement?

I've been craving something like french fries and ketchup, but I don't want to eat fries!

Anyone have anything they use in place of french fries? Looking for something low-cal that I can bake and would taste crispy and good with ketchup.

Much obliged!
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:06 PM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

I bake potatoes in slices and still dip them. I also bake sweet pot and I love them. When i am wanting a crunch like from chips i cut up bell peppers and eat it with a sandwich..it gives you the same crunch without the salt.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Sweet potato makes great fries (but I like better with light ranch dressing than ketchup).

Another favorite of mine that reminds me of french fries (not sure the ketchup works here either) is roasted green beans. I buy the hericot verts at Sam's (very thin green beans) toss them in a couple teaspoons of oil and then a couple tablespoons of a no sugar added ranch dressing mix powder I buy in bulk (or a mixture of garlic, parsley, Lawry's seasoned salt and a tiny pinch of dill). I bake at 425 for about 25 minutes or a bit more (stiring every 10 minutes), until the ends of th beans start to carmelize and get crunchy.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:28 PM   #4  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Agreed - white, golden, red or sweet potatoes - toss with a little olive oil and favorite spices, bake in the oven. They will get golden brown and "crispy" and are ever-so wonderful!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 221/173.5/165(for now)

Height: 5'8"

I'm not sure which post I saw this in, but I make it for my family and although it doesn't look like a french fry, it is a great crunch fix. You boil whole potatoes until soft (poke 'em with a fork or knife - soft thru). Spray a baking pan with Pam or olive oil spray. Take the taters out of the water, place in baking pan and squish down with a masher - it breaks open the skin and squeezes out the white. Turn the masher and squash down again. I sprinkle the potatoes with onion & garlic powder, S & P and spray them with more Pam. Bake in a 425 degree oven for about 20 minutes - more or less - until browned and crunchy! Serve with ketchup or even (light) sour cream & green onions.
judipurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:22 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Another vote here for roasted green beens. Yumm!!! I don't use oil though, I just coat with cooking spray. Half way through roasting I add slivered garlic and thinly sliced onions.

I haven't tried this yet, but a friend of mine says that she makes butternut squash "fries". Also using cooking spray. Says they're fabulous.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:39 AM   #7  

Same as everyone else. I do use olive oil and I also use lots of sea salt. Ususally if I'm craving fries I'm craving salt and fat so I make sure to get enough of that. Green beans are my favorite for light days. Baked sweet potatoes with butter and brown sugar for heavy work out days. Sliced, baked potatoe for TOM days.
cdiem4994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 229/206/1??

Height: 5'2"

I agree with everyone else! I love sweet potato fries!

Quote:
Originally Posted by judipurple View Post
I'm not sure which post I saw this in, but I make it for my family and although it doesn't look like a french fry, it is a great crunch fix. You boil whole potatoes until soft (poke 'em with a fork or knife - soft thru). Spray a baking pan with Pam or olive oil spray. Take the taters out of the water, place in baking pan and squish down with a masher - it breaks open the skin and squeezes out the white. Turn the masher and squash down again. I sprinkle the potatoes with onion & garlic powder, S & P and spray them with more Pam. Bake in a 425 degree oven for about 20 minutes - more or less - until browned and crunchy! Serve with ketchup or even (light) sour cream & green onions.

That is a great idea, kind of like a waffle fry!
AngelMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:19 PM   #9  
150 by my 50th!!!

S/C/G: 341/261.4/150

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I haven't tried this yet, but a friend of mine says that she makes butternut squash "fries". Also using cooking spray. Says they're fabulous.
I make these all the time and absolutely love them. All you need is cooking spray, 1/2 of a butternut squash and kosher salt. Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees. Peel and de-seed your butternut squash. Place on a cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick spray. Cover lightly with kosher salt (regular salt works too). Place tray in your pre-heated oven and bake for 40 minutes or so, flipping halfway through baking process. Fries are done when they are starting to brown on the edges and get crispy. A serving size of 5 oz is 65 calories, 0 grams of fat , 16.5 grams of carbs and 4 grams of fiber for a total of 1 point per serving...
Arlene Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:30 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

thanks everyone!~
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:20 PM   #11  
FB

Kaplods - I bought the same lovely green beans from Sam's and decided to try out your suggestion on one of the pouches tonight. The only thing I changed was using my olive oil mister lightly instead of measuring out oil.

YUM! I ate the entire bag.

Those green beans are great, much tastier than the normal ones I usually get.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:25 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 200/190/150

Height: 5'6"

I love the roasted green beans too. They are yummy!
its4me is offline   Reply With Quote