South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 10-22-2008, 07:18 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

Default P2 and struggling

Hi Everyone~
I am actually phase 1.5. I have been gradually working in p2 foods. I started with oatmeal and did fine. This week I have added apples. I have gained everyday that I have eaten apples. Consitantly for the last 4 days. I have tried an apple at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I even quit eating oatmeal thinking maybe the two together? So what do you all think? Do I take apples out and try something else? I am getting frustrated because I was down to a good weight and now I have put on more than I am comfortable with. Not sure where to go with this?

Menzy
Menzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:25 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I would try eliminating the apples and try something else. Different things work for different people. It can get frustrating and confusing, but by introducing new foods to Phase 2, you'll eventually discover what works best for you. Check out the Sticky in our FAQ section about Phase 2 Combos. You'll find it very informative.
Hang in there, and good luck!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:08 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

It's definitely trial and error, so don't get frustrated. Sometimes it takes some time to find what works. I would get rid of the apple for now and try some berries instead - maybe blueberries with your oatmeal. Or if you want to experiment some more with the apple, try it for an afternoon snack with peanut butter on it. You didn't say how much you have gained, but also remember that fluctuations of up to 5 lbs or so can be due to other things - if you have been eating more salt than normal, exercising more or changing exercise, TOM. I know that just before my visit from Aunt Flo, I will stop losing or even gain a few, then they drop back off, usually with a couple of friends just after.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

I have gained about 5 pounds in about 4 days. I am consistently seeing the scale climb. Not TOM but have started exercising. I usually put in 30-60 minutes in 6 days a week. Just finished my first 6 days last week. I am really trying to make sure that I eat and behave and workout. I am under some stress this week so that could be it too.
Menzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:09 PM   #5  
Heather-Nic

S/C/G: 293.5/248/220

Height: 5'7"

Hang in there....know that the weight will come off, you just have to be patient. And be sure that you're eatting enough overall. sometimes we freak out over adding new foods in, so we try to compensate by not eating others or eating less. Make sure you're still getting in your protein & veggies like you're supposed to.
Keep it up!!!!
hmacneil6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:39 PM   #6  

Height: 5'7.5"

Hi, I feel your pain..the same thing happened to me when I went to P2 the first time, I added oatmeal,and strawberries and gained. This time when I went to P2 I started with a apple,so far pretty good..although I've stalled several times,then for no reason,the few extra lbs.will drop off. I stopped going back and forth on my weight thingie because it seems when I put it to my new lost weight,I gain a lb. lol,so I'm just leaving it there. Hang in there, a apple is a good thing.
choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:00 AM   #7  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

It's possible that apples aren't for you, Menzy. I find that apple juice (it's not SBD approved, but I tried something that was apple juice sweetened in my attempts to find some natural sweeteners that might work for me) makes my blood sugar skyrocket faster and harder than even sugar does! But there's a lot of fiber in apples, and they don't affect me at all.

Have you tried eating the apple with protein, fat, or both (natural peanut butter)? Like Dr. A says in the book, protein, fiber, acid, or fat will help slow down the release of sugar into your bloodstream.

That said, the calories in one apple a day shouldn't cause you to gain a pound...and unless there's something really wrong medically (not that I'm an expert, at all!!!), I'd be surprised that it could lead to a pound gain just because of what it does to your blood sugar. The reason some things don't work for people is usually that they cause cravings which leads to bingeing and all those extra calories cause weight gain. Did eating the apples lead to bingeing? Are you eating the same as you did in P1 with the exception of the apple and oatmeal? Are you eating a lot of salt so that you are retaining water?

Sounds like you are working very hard to understand your body, which is great! Keep at it and I'm sure you'll figure this out.

Last edited by beachgal; 10-23-2008 at 10:00 AM.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote