Old 10-21-2008, 11:15 PM   #1  
On my way...

S/C/G: 255/240/150

Height: 5'7

Red face What is quinoa?

I have heard alot of people talk about quinoa. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what it is, if you have had it, if it is good, where do I find it, and how do I cook it? Thanks.
dek6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:29 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Quinoa is a yummy high-protein whole grain. I use it wherever I would use rice or couscous - in soups, pilaf, as a starch side. My whole family enjoys it. It's not too hard to find - You can get it at Trader Joe's and Health Food or Natural Food stores. I'm also seeing it now in the regular groceries - look where the rice or box rice mixes are, usually near the couscous. Cooking instructions will be on the box.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

You can also buy it in bulk at some places. I suggest buying it like that first to see if you like it. You need to rinse it before cooking, then cook it like you would rice. In addition to main dishes and side dishes (lots of recipes online), I eat it like oatmeal. I really like quinoa, and it contains more protein than other grains.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa

Quote:
In contemporary times this crop has come to be highly appreciated for its nutritional value, as its protein content is very high (12%–18%), making it a healthy choice for vegetarians and vegans. Unlike wheat or rice (which are low in lysine), quinoa contains a balanced set of essential amino acids for humans, making it an unusually complete protein source. It is a good source of dietary fiber and phosphorus and is high in magnesium and iron. Quinoa is gluten free and considered easy to digest. Because of all these characteristics, quinoa is being considered as a possible crop in NASA's Controlled Ecological Life Support System for long-duration manned spaceflights.
I get mine at Trader Joes or Whole Foods. It's yummy!!!

Last edited by PhotoChick; 10-22-2008 at 12:51 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

I know that most people say they love quinoa, but I just want to let you know... I HATE it. Absolutely detest the stuff. So, if you do try it and end up not liking it... don't feel bad.

Last edited by FreeSpirit; 10-22-2008 at 12:51 PM.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I don't hate it. But I keep trying, and not liking it either. Too tiny to have much chew, so I don't feel like I'm eating much and don't find it very filling either. And the flavor doesn't do anything for me either. Being light, I think it will be good in certain recipes, I just haven't found them yet .
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:48 PM   #7  
Almost the Big 50!

S/C/G: Goal of 150!

Height: 5'8"

I love oatmeal but not steel cut oats go figure?
CyberGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote