Old 10-21-2008, 12:55 PM   #1  
Remodeling The Temple

S/C/G: 229.5/161.5/149.5

Default Canned Tuna Recipe?

I've looked in the recipe thread and don't remember seeing any using canned tuna. Does anyone know of a OP tuna recipe that doesn't use boiled eggs? I was told to try tuna at dinner, when I can't have eggs. And my off plan tuna salad recipe calls for mayo and eggs and pickles etc...just wondering if someone had come up with something on plan.
silverbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 234/seetracker/170

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbelle View Post
I've looked in the recipe thread and don't remember seeing any using canned tuna. Does anyone know of a OP tuna recipe that doesn't use boiled eggs? I was told to try tuna at dinner, when I can't have eggs. And my off plan tuna salad recipe calls for mayo and eggs and pickles etc...just wondering if someone had come up with something on plan.
I have never tried this, but this was a suggestion on the recipe thread...

"I take 4oz leftover spaghetti squash, 2 oz tuna and 1 oz cheddar and make mock tuna casserole. It really is quite satisfying"
LauraSerendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 152.5/see ticker/128

Height: 5'6"

Default Spaghetti Squash / Tuna...

FYI - I tried the spaghetti squash/tuna casserole idea and LOVED it. It was my first ever spaghetti squash and I'm not sure if I cooked it long enough or too long, though! Either way, it was good. If anyone can describe the "right" consistency or texture of properly cooked spag. squash that would be great.

Even my husband loved the dish...I used grated fresh parmesan instead of cheddar though. Also drizzled about a teaspoon of EVOO on it to sort of give it something extra. And pepper.
SeminoleGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/140

Found this on the recipe thread and plan to try it tomorrow:

Spicy Tuna Burgers

Serves 2
This easy tuna burger has a very spicy flavor with a zing of lemon. It came out perfect the first try.

Ingredients:
1 can solid white albacore tuna, drained
1 large egg white
1 teaspoon lemon-pepper Mrs. Dash seasoning
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
(for dinner try adding ground up melba toast?)

Directions: Mix all ingredients together in small bowl. Form two patties and cook on a pre-heated non-stick pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray until tuna patties are slightly browned. Served on beds of lettuce (low carb) and/or on slices of 40cal bread

Try a dab of Dijonaise for a little extra flavor.

I've also tried the tuna casserole recipe (does not include spaghetti squash) in the MRC recipe book and it was pretty good. I can post it for you if you don't have the book.
WooPigSooie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:16 AM   #5  
Em

S/C/G: 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbelle View Post
I love eggs in my tuna salad too, but I just leave them out for on-plan tuna salad. I sub fat-free ranch dressing for the mayo. Add lots of celery, and I do sometimes add the sugar-free pickle relish. For lunch, sometimes I'll add a chopped apple to my tuna salad.
Sometimes, too, I'll just make a big tossed salad & throw in canned tuna (drained) instead of chicken.
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:39 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 214.6/193/160

Height: 5'7"

These are all great ideas. I tried to eat my tuna the other day for lunch - it was all I could do to choke it down. Of course, all I added was Mrs. Dash. I'm growing weary of the selection of foods. I'm going to have to venture out and try some other fishes, I guess!
Alloramadai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:26 AM   #7  
Remodeling The Temple

S/C/G: 229.5/161.5/149.5

Well, I made up my own recipe and it was pretty darn good!

I chopped up some summer squash and green peppers and sauted in EVOO until tender then mixed with drained tuna, parm cheese, salt and pepper and put in a casserole dish and topped with crumbled melba toast. Then I baked at 350 for about 20 minutes.

My husband enjoyed it too, so I know it wasn't just me!

Thanks for all the responses!
silverbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:57 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 234/seetracker/170

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alloramadai View Post
These are all great ideas. I tried to eat my tuna the other day for lunch - it was all I could do to choke it down. Of course, all I added was Mrs. Dash. I'm growing weary of the selection of foods. I'm going to have to venture out and try some other fishes, I guess!
Suggestion for other fishes... TILAPIA!! I love it, and Albertsons has these little individual serving packets exactly 4oz. That are normally 4 for $5. I buy them up and keep them in the freezer at my work. I spray them with ICBINB and then some sort of spice, lemon pepper, mrs dash sometimes i will use the wishbone dressings, just whatever sounds good that day. and they can be microwaved and turn out wonderful! Thats normally what I eat for lunch at least 4 out of the 5 work days.
LauraSerendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:45 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 214.6/193/160

Height: 5'7"

Thank you, Laura! I'm going to Albertsons this weekend for tilapia.

I so appreciate the suggestion.
Alloramadai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:22 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 183/173/141

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WooPigSooie View Post
Found this on the recipe thread and plan to try it tomorrow:

Spicy Tuna Burgers

Serves 2
This easy tuna burger has a very spicy flavor with a zing of lemon. It came out perfect the first try.

Ingredients:
1 can solid white albacore tuna, drained
1 large egg white
1 teaspoon lemon-pepper Mrs. Dash seasoning
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
(for dinner try adding ground up melba toast?)

Directions: Mix all ingredients together in small bowl. Form two patties and cook on a pre-heated non-stick pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray until tuna patties are slightly browned. Served on beds of lettuce (low carb) and/or on slices of 40cal bread

Try a dab of Dijonaise for a little extra flavor.

I've also tried the tuna casserole recipe (does not include spaghetti squash) in the MRC recipe book and it was pretty good. I can post it for you if you don't have the book.
I hate tuna but that sounds GOOD!
Colleen2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:52 PM   #11  
Melissa

S/C/G: 208.8/164.8/135 - 44.0lbs down

Height: 5'5"

Just a thought on the tuna... I asked my consultant the other day if I could have whole wheat pasta/noodles. She said yes but only 1/4 cup. It is a very small portion, but if you feel "noodley" then it is an option.
ilovekotilab is offline   Reply With Quote