Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - How do you cook chicken?

View Full Version : How do you cook chicken?

JamieJo
10-20-2008, 02:38 PM
I want to make up a bunch of chicken for the week. Some to eat plain, some to put on salad, and so forth.

How do you cook your chicken breasts??? To eat plain and on a salad...

stellarwbz
10-20-2008, 02:41 PM
Usually I just cook it in the oven. If it's frozen for about an hour, other wise it varies.

JamieJo
10-20-2008, 02:42 PM
Do you just put it on a baking pan or do you use any oils/spice/etc?

ValRock
10-20-2008, 02:44 PM
I grill mine! YUM

JamieJo
10-20-2008, 02:45 PM
You grill it even in the winter?

ValRock
10-20-2008, 02:46 PM
You grill it even in the winter?

YUP LOL. The grill is out under the porch and I just put my coat on and fire it up!

JamieJo
10-20-2008, 02:48 PM
Haha Val! You are more hardcore then me! I usually just put a little oil in a fry pan and cook it up. But it's so boring like that. I need to figure out something different. I do like to make chicken taco's and just eat the chicken that way, but I think I'm burning myself out from that too...

raw23
10-20-2008, 02:58 PM
Get a grill pan and "grill" the chicken.

PhotoChick
10-20-2008, 03:01 PM
George Foreman grill. Sometimes when Kroger puts their boneless skinless chicken tenders on sale 2 for 1, I'll get 3 or 4 packs and throw them on the GF grill.

Sometimes I'll marinade them in Italian dressing first, but usually just a little salt and pepper, and on the grill. They freeze well after they've been grilled, too. :)

yoyonomoreinvegas
10-20-2008, 03:02 PM
I broil mine. Sprinkle with a little garlic powder and a dash of chili powder and pepper. Drizzle with just a smidge of olive oil. I put a little bit of water in the bottom broiler pan - makes the clean-up easier and keeps the chicken from drying out under the flame.

rubbytummy
10-20-2008, 03:07 PM
I don't prepare meat for myself at home anymore, but when I make it for my boyfriend I frequently cook tenderloins nice and slow on the frying pan (medium heat) with a spoonful of chicken broth or tbsp of butter and lots and lots of minced garlic, then when it gets up to 160 degrees internal temp, toss it with 1tsp of brown sugar splenda per tenderloin.

It's not too decadent, but tastes amazing on its own, in spinach salads, and -- our favorite -- in sweet potato/black bean burritos.

grneyedmustang
10-20-2008, 03:15 PM
Another vote for grilled. And it's gotta be charcoal... :)

tommy
10-20-2008, 03:16 PM
Years ago a very successful 3FCer posted her method for making a bunch of chicken breasts for use throughout the week. My recollection is that she put them in a baking dish rolling the thin parts under so that the packed dish was basically all of even thickness. Seasoned with maybe lemon pepper and salt. Not too much because she was using the chicken in various and different preps throughout the week. Covered with foil and baked at 350 for maybe 45 minutes to an hour. The breasts will be pale and stay moist making them ideal to "spruce-up" during the week. Store in a big zip lock bag after they cool.

kelly315
10-20-2008, 03:32 PM
I like mine pan cooked, so the edges turn brown and yummy. Because there's so little fat in it in the first place, pan cooking doesn't turn into "frying" like with a lot of other foods (hamburger, for instance). A little garlic powder and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese gives it a nice flavor, no matter how you cook it.

stellarwbz
10-20-2008, 04:59 PM
Do you just put it on a baking pan or do you use any oils/spice/etc?

Oh, normally I coat it with smart balance margarine, and some salt and pepper. I also really like it with fajita seasoning too.

zeffryn
10-20-2008, 04:59 PM
It's not too decadent, but tastes amazing on its own, in spinach salads, and -- our favorite -- in sweet potato/black bean burritos.

You didn't happen to get the sweet potato/black bean burrito recipe from a Saving Dinner cookbook?

-

We grill up a huge batch of chicken once a week or so on the George Foreman. If we're grilling something else, we'll also throw some chicken on the regular grill. I usually slice it up, package it in single portions and freeze.

littlelilly
10-20-2008, 06:25 PM
I usually just put it in a baking pan with a little bit of water in it and add whatever chicken spices I have in the cupboard.

Wolf Goddess
10-20-2008, 11:14 PM
I roast bone-in, skin-on breast in the oven at 400 for an hour. I add a little olive oil onto the skin to crisp it, and I rub both the flesh and skin with Mrs. Dash blends and some kosher salt.

chickybird
10-20-2008, 11:21 PM
Sometimes I'll marinade it in a little teriyaki sauce and pineapple juice.
Or put some lemon juice and sea salt on top before I bake it.

I'll brush it with bbq sauce before I bake it.

DH loooves it marinaded in fat free italian dressing

zenor77
10-21-2008, 12:36 AM
It depends on what I'm using it for. If it's for chicken salad (the kind with mayo) then I poach the chicken, if it's for stir fry I cook it in a wok with just a bit of oil (adding veggies and such), for on top of greens I broil it, and sometimes I make chicken katsu by dipping in egg and whole wheat panko and bake in the oven.

I like to use herbs de provence, salt, pepper, garlic, chili powder, smoked paprika, curry power, and other herbs to spice chicken, although not all at once. The spices depend on what I'm making.

JamieJo
10-21-2008, 09:04 AM
Thanks everyone. I made three different kinds of chicken last night and they were all yummy. My fav was bake it. Put chicken broth in the bottom and put lawreys salt and minced onion. OHHH. YUM YUM.

Lori Bell
10-27-2008, 02:27 PM
Today is the first day I ever stumbled upon the cooking section of 3FC...Wow, I never realized it was here! I love to cook. And I'm a wiz at chicken...lol. I have several bulk chicken methods.

First, my favorite. In a 9x13 baking dish I load with 8 (More or less depending on size) chicken breast. I prefer bone-in, but skinless/boneless works too. Season each piece with salt, pepper, minced garlic, (or garlic powder) and poultry seasoning. Carefully add a can of light beer being careful not to wash the seasoning from the tops of the chicken pieces (for presentation only). bake loosely covered with foil in a 350 degree oven until the beer is mostly evaporated and juices run clear. (about 1 1/2 hour). Something about the beer makes it so yummy, almost buttery. Since there is no strong flavors (and all alcohol cooks out) it can be added to several recipes, including chicken soup. Better than beer butt chicken IMO. I also have an old grungy baking pan I use when we go camping, and I will make this on the grill as well. A cup of white wine instead of beer is good too. This adds very few calories to each piece, especially if you remove the skin...

My next favorite is to grill chicken after marinating in teriyaki sauce, lime juice and garlic. If you boil the marinate for several minutes (to kill any bacteria from the raw chicken that was marinading in it), you can then use it to brush on the chicken while grilling for more flavor. You can also add a little honey to the simmering marinade for more tang. So good.

princess2323
10-27-2008, 04:27 PM
make sure you marinade them so that they are juicy --- there are ready made marinades or you can throw some spices together like lemon and herb or garlic and herb with some vinegar and maybe some olive oil let sit for like half hour and then slow cook/grill on stove top-keeps the juices in without needing to add any oil-- in a griddle is good or the george foreman-- and then simply reheat if you like it warm to toss in your salad