Old 10-19-2008, 11:45 PM   #1  
I will be positive

S/C/G: 224/183/135

Height: 5'4"

Default A question about pasta

would someone mind telling me the difference between whole wheat pasta and multi grain pasta please? we have tried both and love the multi grain but cant stand the whole wheat. is there really that much of a difference? i just thought getting off of white pasta was good. now i'm wondering. thanks in advance.
inspired by you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:25 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspired by you View Post
would someone mind telling me the difference between whole wheat pasta and multi grain pasta please? we have tried both and love the multi grain but cant stand the whole wheat. is there really that much of a difference? i just thought getting off of white pasta was good. now i'm wondering. thanks in advance.
Whole wheat is ... whole wheat. Multi-grain is - multiple grains (not just wheat; maybe not any wheat, but often wheat is included). Multi-grain may or may not be whole grain.

You can also get pasta that is whole wheat / wheat blend - partly wheat flour that has been refined, and partly wheat flour that is from the whole grain. You might like that.

I used to use the whole wheat blend, but recently tried multi-grain from Trader Joe's and like it better.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:20 AM   #3  
I will be positive

Thanks Julie...but is whole wheat better than multi-grain? I knew the composition difference between the two just not the nutritional difference.

Last edited by inspired by you; 10-20-2008 at 07:25 AM. Reason: mispelling
Old 10-20-2008, 10:18 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Better is relative. Each has it's benefits to you ... asking which is better is like asking if broccoli or spinach is better for you. They're both good, but for different reasons.

Read the nutrition label on the boxes the next time you're at the grocery store and see what you think and what works better for you. If you like the Multi-Grain better, then eat those. Either way, whole wheat or multi-grain is a better choice than regular white pasta.

Edited: Ok, so I did a little research for you (cause I'm a geek).

Barilla Plus Multigrain: semolina, grain & legume flower blend (lentils, chick peas, oats, spelt, barley, egg whites, ground flaxseeds and wheat fiber), niacin, ferrous lactate (iron), thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, and folic acid.

Barilla WholeGrain: Whole Durum Wheat Flour, Semolina, Durum Wheat Flour, Oat Fiber.

So you can see the big difference in the Barilla brand (which is what I buy) is that the whole grain is wheat, semolina, and oat. The multi-grain is semolina, lentils, chickpeas, oats, spelt, barley, wheat, and flax.

I personally would choose the Multi-grain for the benefits of all the variety, but there's nothing wrong with the whole grain either.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 10-20-2008 at 10:24 AM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:30 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
Barilla WholeGrain: Whole Durum Wheat Flour, Semolina, Durum Wheat Flour, Oat Fiber.
Doesn't really seem like whole grain, does it? Just has *some* whole grain in it.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:11 PM   #6  
I will be positive

thanks photochick. we really love the multi-grain so i'm glad we dont 'have' to switch. thanks for checking that for me.