30-Somethings - 30-Somethings Chick Challenge - 30 Day Shred w/Jillian Michaels!

SBD Sass
10-19-2008, 10:45 PM
I have it On Demand through my cable and she says one can lose 20lbs. in one month doing her Shred videos. She says a mix of cardio and strength is the fastest way to drop weight. I see there are two On Demand videos and I'm trying to memorize them so I can do them to test them out for a month. Anybody done or doing this??? She's the master on The Biggest Loser so she must know what she's talking about, right?

dixied
10-19-2008, 11:11 PM
I actually just did Day 1 today... ouch. Jillian really means business.

Ami12345
10-19-2008, 11:12 PM
I'm gonna look on my ON DEMAND... what part is it under? I wud luv to do that!

SBD Sass
10-19-2008, 11:40 PM
I'm gonna look on my ON DEMAND... what part is it under? I wud luv to do that!

Mine is under Exercise and Fitness right after going into On Demand. And then you have to choose Jillian Michaels. Parts 1 and 2 are there.

RangerChic
10-20-2008, 07:53 AM
OK, I'd love to start this with some people this week if anyone is new to it like I am. I just picked up the dvd this weekend (while still feeling guilty for buying it since I need to watch my spending, trying to tell myself that it's a small gift that is for my health) and was thinking of starting it on Tuesday. I did the level 1 cardio max workout with Bob from the BL dvd last night and damn was that a workout! Hoping I can keep up with Jillian.

asparagus4sale
10-20-2008, 08:01 AM
How funny! I just did Day 1 this morning. Ouch!! That would be so cool if we could set up a little support group here.

SBD Sass
10-20-2008, 09:50 AM
I'm down. I'm starting tonight with Jillian. I am also starting that Couch to 5K today too. I really messed up this weekend eating out and therefore it set me back a week. Last week Monday I weighed in at 191.4 and today, I'm at 191.2...no loss. :(

Anyway, I'm down if anybody else is and I'll keep count. I wonder if I can get the subject of this thread change to reflect a 30s Support Group challenge. ????

RangerChic
10-20-2008, 10:00 AM
OK, I'm down. I just hope I can make it through with Jillian. Heh. :)
I'll open my dvd and start tonight if everyone else is.

SBD Sass
10-20-2008, 10:12 AM
OK so that's 5 of us so far. Does everybody have weights?? The arm rows in Part 1 requires weights.

GONNABE165
10-20-2008, 10:46 AM
Count me in - I'm starting day 1 this evening after work

SBD Sass
10-20-2008, 10:48 AM
Ok that's 6 of us now...anybody else up for this challenge??

asparagus4sale
10-20-2008, 01:02 PM
I used both 3 and 5 pound weights -I would recommend getting both if you have them.

BTW, my legs are sore!!!

SBD Sass
10-20-2008, 01:48 PM
I used both 3 and 5 pound weights -I would recommend getting both if you have them.

BTW, my legs are sore!!!

haha! And I know why! I actually watched the workout first. Today I'm going to get down to it after I do my 1st week 1st day of Couch to 5K! No, it's not too much pressure.

We can do it ladies!!!!

RangerChic
10-20-2008, 02:00 PM
OK so that's 5 of us so far. Does everybody have weights?? The arm rows in Part 1 requires weights.

I've got 3 & 5 pound weights, so that part I've got. Heh.

SBD Sass
10-20-2008, 02:33 PM
I have to go pick up some weights. I only have resistance bands!

RangerChic
10-20-2008, 02:36 PM
I'm excited and nervous about this... I know Jillian is going to give us all some beatings! :p

SBD Sass
10-20-2008, 08:50 PM
OK so I did my day one of this and I was beat at the end. I am very out of shape! I couldnt do part 2 but I did push my myself through part 1 so I am so proud of myself! Tomorrow I'll do both 1 and 2. My legs and arms are soar from riding the bike but I did everything Jillian said to do anyway. Day 1 was great!

Those lunges with arm curls are killer!!!!

RangerChic
10-20-2008, 09:02 PM
I am SOOOO tired and beat right now. Whew! Wow, what a workout. I think it's time for a good night's rest now. :)

RangerChic
10-20-2008, 09:03 PM
OK so I did my day one of this and I was beat at the end. I am very out of shape! I couldnt do part 2 but I did push my myself through part 1 so I am so proud of myself! Tomorrow I'll do both 1 and 2. My legs and arms are soar from riding the bike but I did everything Jillian said to do anyway. Day 1 was great!

Those lunges with arm curls are killer!!!!

Well, my left arm is still soar from doing the level 1 cardio max with Bob last night. Made it through though.

Good job to the both of us! ;)

GONNABE165
10-21-2008, 08:53 AM
Did my first day after work yesturday and boy is this a tough workout.

I started out with 3lb weights and had to drop to my 1lb weights.

I had a hard time with the butt kicks - my legs were so tight and tired til I couldn't get them to move very fast.

Day 2 here I come

SBD Sass
10-21-2008, 09:35 AM
Those butt kicks after jumping jacks and low punching is killer! I am totally soar today because I pushed myself. I think I like it though. I'm going to still attempt to do parts 1 and 2 tonight.

Did anybody struggle with the push-ups? I did. I'm better than I was before and I think the resistance bands helped with that because I wasn't able to bend my arms before.

GONNABE165
10-21-2008, 09:55 AM
pushups - i can only do one or two the regular way and the rest have to be on my knees. They seem to go real slow with the pushups - guess it's all for exhausting those muscles

SBD Sass
10-21-2008, 10:25 AM
pushups - i can only do one or two the regular way and the rest have to be on my knees. They seem to go real slow with the pushups - guess it's all for exhausting those muscles

Yep, I noticed that too. She's also slow with the crunches and lunges too. And I did all the exercises with her and at her pace. She says you burn more calories working all the muscles at once than doing them one at a time. That's something new I learned.

RangerChic
10-21-2008, 11:41 AM
The jumping jacks and jump rope were the hardest for me. My heart is just beating so fast and I get out of breath!

mandalinn82
10-21-2008, 11:46 AM
((popping in my head))

I changed your thread title. I believe the instructor is named Jillian Michaels. Ever had a board misspell that made you nuts every time you looked at it?

Thank you for letting me indulge my OCD.

:dizzy:

GONNABE165
10-21-2008, 01:18 PM
Yes mandalinn! Thank you for changing the title it was drivin me crazy

asparagus4sale
10-21-2008, 01:24 PM
I didn't even notice the title - haha.

Okay day two done. I read that it feels harder than day one and I can see that. The cardio seemed a little easier but oh lordy those push-ups. That is my goal - to be able to do all of them and off my knees. But I seriously think that is going to take more than 10 days. Anyway, day two done!

SBD Sass
10-21-2008, 01:49 PM
I didn't even notice the title - haha.

Okay day two done. I read that it feels harder than day one and I can see that. The cardio seemed a little easier but oh lordy those push-ups. That is my goal - to be able to do all of them and off my knees. But I seriously think that is going to take more than 10 days. Anyway, day two done!

Wonderful!!!!

I'm sore from doing those lunges all the way down to the floor so I know today is going to kill me. I also sucked it up and did those push ups on my knees...my arms feel traumatized. :dizzy:

Keep up the good work!

SBD Sass
10-21-2008, 10:09 PM
OK my legs and arms HURT! I couldn't do level 2 so I'm going to ride my level 1 out and then after day 10 I'll move onto level 2. OUCHY!!!

gatorgirl6
10-21-2008, 11:44 PM
Do you guys mind if I join your chat? I am going to go buy the DVD for this tomorrow. Do I need anything else for the workouts?

RangerChic
10-22-2008, 07:50 AM
OK gals, I was pretty annoyed last night that I couldn't do my workout. About an hour or so before I left work, I started to feel sick and found myself in the bathroom pretty much the rest of the evening (felt a bit better about 8:30ish while watching BL). The only thing I can think that caused me to feel sick like that was the yogurt I ate at about 4:30 yesterday afternoon. Because, before that, I was okay. The only thing that made me a bit nervous about feeling sick is that I think I ate under 1200 calories yesterday since all I was able to stomach before bed was a couple servings of Cheerios.

RangerChic
10-22-2008, 07:50 AM
Do you guys mind if I join your chat? I am going to go buy the DVD for this tomorrow. Do I need anything else for the workouts?

You need some weights if you don't already have them.
And, of course you can join us! :)

GONNABE165
10-22-2008, 09:19 AM
did day 2 lastnight and boy is this a tough sweaty workout. I too want to conquer those pushups. Day 3 today!

Welcome gatorgirl and good luck

Ranger hope your feeling better

SBD Sass
10-22-2008, 09:38 AM

Welcome!!! And like RangerChic said, you'll need a pair of weights. Jillian says between 3-5lbs.

OK gals, I was pretty annoyed last night that I couldn't do my workout. About an hour or so before I left work, I started to feel sick and found myself in the bathroom pretty much the rest of the evening (felt a bit better about 8:30ish while watching BL). The only thing I can think that caused me to feel sick like that was the yogurt I ate at about 4:30 yesterday afternoon. Because, before that, I was okay. The only thing that made me a bit nervous about feeling sick is that I think I ate under 1200 calories yesterday since all I was able to stomach before bed was a couple servings of Cheerios.

That sucks! If I eat Cheerios on a bad tummy I'd hurl it all up. I usually don't eat anything on an upset stomach. I hope you feel better today!!!!

did day 2 lastnight and boy is this a tough sweaty workout. I too want to conquer those pushups. Day 3 today!

When I attempted to do Part 2 and got to the "walking push-ups" I knew I had to go back to Part 1. I'm not sure how long it's going to take me to master push-ups but I hope I do soon. I can do half push-ups because I was training with resistance bands for two weeks and I noticed that I did get stronger so I'm doing bicep curls at my desk at work during the day to get me ready for Jillian's workout when I get home. I hate push-ups!!!!

asparagus4sale
10-22-2008, 10:45 AM
Day 3 done and I hurt, hurt, hurt. My legs hurt, my arms hurt, my abs hurt. I swear day 3 was harder than day 2 but I do see some progress in my abilities.

SBD - I think you should just do Level 1 for 10 days and then switch to Level 2. That is my plan as long as I can do everything in Level 1 (aka the push-ups) - if not, I am going to stick with Level 1 until I can.

Ranger - Sorry you got sick - hope you feel better today.

Gatorgirl6 - Welcome!

SBD Sass
10-22-2008, 10:55 AM
Day 3 done and I hurt, hurt, hurt. My legs hurt, my arms hurt, my abs hurt. I swear day 3 was harder than day 2 but I do see some progress in my abilities.

SBD - I think you should just do Level 1 for 10 days and then switch to Level 2. That is my plan as long as I can do everything in Level 1 (aka the push-ups) - if not, I am going to stick with Level 1 until I can.

You said day 2 was harder than day 1. LOL! I'm on day 3 today and I HURT BAD! My grandmother seems to think that I'm torturing myself and that exercise that hurt isn't good for me. :lol:

If I don't move then I can only feel my arm sockets aching...I'm guessing that's from the pushups.

And yes, I was crazy thinking I could do Part 2...this is Jillian we're talking about here. I had to "duh" myself.

McKenziesmomma
10-22-2008, 04:33 PM
I have it On Demand through my cable and she says one can lose 20lbs. in one month doing her Shred videos. She says a mix of cardio and strength is the fastest way to drop weight. I see there are two On Demand videos and I'm trying to memorize them so I can do them to test them out for a month. Anybody done or doing this??? She's the master on The Biggest Loser so she must know what she's talking about, right?

I have the DVD. I got it at Wal-Mart for around $8.00 plus tax. It is a great DVD. HARD as all get out. I ended up doing each level for 30 days so it was more like a 90 day shred for me...LOL! I really don't think you could lose 20 pounds in one month just by doing this 20 minute workout everyday....I mean it really all depends on how much you weigh to begin with, how many calories per day you are eating, and are you doing any other exercise other than just this......

It is fun....it will make you strong...you will see results as far as being stronger and looking more toned.

gatorgirl6
10-22-2008, 05:44 PM
I just did Day 1 of the Shred. I have been working out with a personal trainer lately, so it wasnt as bad as I had anticipated. I am going to stay of level 1 for another day or two to see if its painful tomorrow, but if its not too bad then Im going to level 2. When you go to level 2, are you supposed to do both level 1 and level 2 together or just do level 2 alone?

gatorgirl6
10-22-2008, 05:51 PM
On second thought... I did the easier pushups, but everything else the more difficult way. Tomorrow I am going to try to do everything the harder way.

RangerChic
10-22-2008, 08:46 PM
OK, tonight was harder for me. For one, my calves, especially on my right leg hurt. It's pain I can deal with during the day, but working out, it kills me. Ouch. And two, I just didn't seem to have the energy tonight that you need to push through her workout. All said and done, I made it through, but not nearly as well as I did on day one. I'm wondering if I need to go to the fitness center and walk/bike tomorrow for a bit before I turn on the dvd.

SBD Sass
10-22-2008, 08:56 PM
OK, tonight was harder for me. For one, my calves, especially on my right leg hurt. It's pain I can deal with during the day, but working out, it kills me. Ouch. And two, I just didn't seem to have the energy tonight that you need to push through her workout. All said and done, I made it through, but not nearly as well as I did on day one. I'm wondering if I need to go to the fitness center and walk/bike tomorrow for a bit before I turn on the dvd.

I'm thinking I should have done more stretching on day one and two. The front of my thighs are achy and so are the back of my arms. I'm about to go and do Level 1 now...wish me luck on my Day 3.

gatorgirl6
10-22-2008, 09:06 PM
I always find that when I am sore walking or biking losens the muscles and makes me feel a lot better.

RangerChic
10-23-2008, 08:49 AM
I always find that when I am sore walking or biking losens the muscles and makes me feel a lot better.

Awesome, I'm hoping the same will work for me. Worth a try anyway! :)

GONNABE165
10-23-2008, 09:06 AM
today makes day 4 and i really enjoy this workout - makes me feel like i accomplished something.

my soreness tends to go away once i start working out but soon after it's right back plus some

good luck and :dust: to all

SBD Sass
10-23-2008, 09:46 AM
I fell over board yesterday and didn't do my Day 3 because I think I hurt my legs by going too advanced the first two days. I when I go to climb stairs it hurts and when I go to sit down I have to drop in my seat. A day's rest, I hope will take some of the pain away. I am going to do my Day 3 tonight for sure regardless. I really don't want to mess this up. I will not give this up!

I'm glad you gals are making better progress than me. Keep up the good work!

GONNABE165
10-23-2008, 10:10 AM
sbd it's not worth it if you hurt yourself over it be sure to give your body time to heal

SBD Sass
10-23-2008, 08:27 PM
I did my Day 3 and it was actually easier than days 1 and 2...I think I'm getting the hang of it and that day off did me some good. I'm still sore, but the pain is letting up.

asparagus4sale
10-23-2008, 10:59 PM
I did day 4 tonight after refusing to get out of the bed this morning after seeing the scale. I have to say it was easier and I am a lot less sore - not that I came anywhere close with the push-ups. But I am thinking that I may be able to actually use weights throughout the squats and standing lunges (?) pretty soon. Right now I have to toss them on the floor half way through. I can do all the cardio and all the abs stuff so that is something.

RangerChic
10-24-2008, 08:03 AM
I ended up not doing day #3 last night afterall. I worked out in the fitness center and did over 6 miles on the bike instead. I think I'm going to do the Shred 3 times a week spread out with my other workouts, at least at first to ease into it. Once I get into a stride, I'll do it more.

GONNABE165
10-24-2008, 09:10 AM
day 5 today and I can definetly feel/tell a difference already - I'm lovin it.

Keep it up guys!

asparagus4sale
10-24-2008, 01:20 PM
Day 5 this morning. It does feel easier but I still struggle on some things (plus it was only about 12 hours since I last did it). However, I am much, much less sore now so that is great.

SBD Sass
10-24-2008, 01:47 PM
I ended up not doing day #3 last night afterall. I worked out in the fitness center and did over 6 miles on the bike instead. I think I'm going to do the Shred 3 times a week spread out with my other workouts, at least at first to ease into it. Once I get into a stride, I'll do it more.

Yep, the shred is killer. Hang in there!

I took one day off and my Day 3 went very well. I can do a half modified pushup now. Amazing!!! Hopefully before I switch to level 2 I'll be able to do a full modified pushup.

I was watching some Jillian videos on Youtube last night and she says she's works out for one hour per day. So, I decided to add more strength to my workout with the Shred. The pain in my thighs are going away. :carrot:

RangerChic
10-24-2008, 05:32 PM
Yep, the shred is killer. Hang in there!

I took one day off and my Day 3 went very well. I can do a half modified pushup now. Amazing!!! Hopefully before I switch to level 2 I'll be able to do a full modified pushup.

I think I might be able to do the Shred tonight. I actually tried doing the stepper at the fitness center last night. It was a little easier than I thought it'd be, but I didn't last more than 5 minutes on it. Heh.
Anyway, report forthcoming about day #3... :p

SBD Sass
10-24-2008, 09:25 PM
Day 4 was good. I love those bicycle crunches a lot. I've been doing those reverse crunches all this evening. It will help with my pouch.

SBD Sass
10-26-2008, 07:27 PM
Anybody still here?

I'm trying to work in a little Tai Bo T3 into my workout, but that's not going to happen. I laid on the floor watching it after I got done with my shred. Ha!

GONNABE165
10-27-2008, 11:28 AM
Today makes day 7 as yesturday just seemed to hectic/crazy to find the time

asparagus4sale
10-27-2008, 12:46 PM
Sorry - I totally sucked this weekend - no 30 Day Shred at all. But I did it this morning so Day 6 is done and I almost managed to do all of the sit-ups (modified of course). I am thinking that by day 10 I may actually be able to do it. Woohoo!!

asparagus4sale
10-27-2008, 12:46 PM
I'm trying to work in a little Tai Bo T3 into my workout, but that's not going to happen. I laid on the floor watching it after I got done with my shred. Ha!

LOL!!

GONNABE165
10-28-2008, 09:26 AM
couldn't get up enough energy and shake the fatigue my bopdy was feeling to get day 7 done - i'm still in it just tryin to recoup from my weekend

SBD Sass
10-28-2008, 10:16 AM
My Day 6 (yesterday) is completed! I have to do the Shred faithfully because I want my Biggest Loser team at work to win. I'm their South Beach Diet guru (as so they call me) and my team leader wants me to be the example...the other team has an Atkins Diet guru so we've got MAJOR competition.

Trying to get these girls eating right and trying to get them to do some cardio - wish me luck! If we gain any pounds we have to pay $1 per pound and I don't want to pay! I have to be the example unfortunately so I've added in the Full Body Resistance training and the Power 90 Abs workout (100 crunches = 10 sets x 10 reps) to my workout. I'm on a freaking roll over here.

OK ladies, you can do this! I believe in taking day breaks so lets get back to the Shred today and rest tomorrow and so on and so forth. I'm cheering you all on!!!!

asparagus4sale
10-28-2008, 03:06 PM
I finished work-out number 7 today. Only 3 days and I have to switch to level 2 - I am scared!!!

SBD Sass
10-28-2008, 03:24 PM
I finished work-out number 7 today. Only 3 days and I have to switch to level 2 - I am scared!!!

Did you watch level 2? I did! :dizzy:

SBD Sass
10-29-2008, 04:37 PM
I completed my Day 7 late last night and it felt like Day 1 with less pain. Today is Day 8...level 2 is almost here!

asparagus4sale
10-29-2008, 08:55 PM
No I am scared to look! Is it awful?

Finished day 8 today.

SBD Sass
10-29-2008, 09:37 PM
Day 4 was good. I love those bicycle crunches a lot. I've been doing those reverse crunches all this evening. It will help with my pouch.

No I am scared to look! Is it awful?

Finished day 8 today.

It's definitely more interesting than level 1. It looks like it could be fun even. More movement and it's more of a challenge. I watched the whole thing last night and I don't know if I'll be ready in two days for it. I'm going to go ahead and try though. I've been doing wall pushups and planks as a supplement to get ready for it.

I hope everybody else is still dong this workout. How many of us left???

asparagus4sale
10-30-2008, 10:34 AM
Well, you know I am still here. Did day 9 today - one more day and then level 2!

GONNABE165
10-30-2008, 10:40 AM
I'm still here day 8 today - i had a hectic few days so I'm a bit behind on the days but I felt a big difference in my strength and endurance - I feel great!

Hang in there we can do it

SBD Sass
10-30-2008, 11:03 AM
How is everybody doing with the pushups? I can do about 10 modified pushups without panting. I can do more but it gets hard, but I feel a difference in my arms. I'm stronger! Who would have thought I would be doing pushups?? Not I.

I completed my Day 8 last night...going to DC on Saturday to Monday so I have to skip 30DS - that's not good. :(

Anyway, hang in there ladies!

asparagus4sale
10-30-2008, 04:23 PM
I can do about 20 (modified) and then I die. I also still hate the arms with the squats and side lunges. Those burn!!

SBD Sass
10-30-2008, 04:38 PM
I can do about 20 (modified) and then I die. I also still hate the arms with the squats and side lunges. Those burn!!

OMG yes it burns!!! I would have thought that pain would be gone by now, but it's not. I'm using 5lb weights in each hand doing these and to me this is the hardest strength exercise of all Jillian has in this workout. I feel you pain!

sassygrrl
10-30-2008, 06:53 PM
I hate the pushups and the jumping jakes.

So far I'm on day 8.

asparagus4sale
10-30-2008, 07:46 PM
OMG yes it burns!!! I would have thought that pain would be gone by now, but it's not. I'm using 5lb weights in each hand doing these and to me this is the hardest strength exercise of all Jillian has in this workout. I feel you pain!

I know and she talks the whole time about how she puts "easier" strength exercises with the legs because you don't burn enough calories. The whole time I am thinking I would rather do double legs than these horrible arm things (ok well not really).

GONNABE165
10-31-2008, 08:50 AM
I'm managing with the pushups a bit slower than her but getting them done.

Today is day 9

Keep it up!!!

SBD Sass
10-31-2008, 09:05 AM
Finished my Day 9 last night!!! Woot. I will continue Level 1 until I come back on DC (I have it memorized and I'm taking my weights with me)...so I'm leaving tomorrow morning and returning Monday evening and I'll be starting Level 2 that night. I can't wait!

GONNABE165
10-31-2008, 09:17 AM
SBD way to go on doing while away - thats the attitude that will get you success

asparagus4sale
10-31-2008, 11:14 AM
Level 1 is completed! On Monday I will start Level 2. Everyone pray for me! :D

sassygrrl
10-31-2008, 02:20 PM
I haven't done day 9 yet, but I have lost 1 pound this week!!

SBD Sass
10-31-2008, 03:02 PM
I haven't done day 9 yet, but I have lost 1 pound this week!!

Wondferful! I also dropped approx. 2lbs. this week. :carrot: It's working! It's working!

GONNABE165
11-04-2008, 10:01 AM
10 days into the shred and I am down 2.4lbs and I am wearing a pair of jeans I haven't been able to wear until now

Keep at it it works!

JamieJo
11-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Have any of you done the free 30 day online deal that Jillian has?

SBD Sass
11-04-2008, 11:49 AM
I haven't done it but I'm looking at it. Not sure I want to go there because I may forget to cancel.

I'm doing my Day 10 today and moving onto Level 2 tomorrow now that I'm back from vacation.

GONNABE165
11-06-2008, 09:34 AM
I am now on level 2 and boy is this tough. Level 1 is a slow walk in the park compared to this.

Where is everyone

SBD Sass
11-06-2008, 09:36 AM
I'm here but I'm still in level 1. I have been running errands and doing things for people after work and when I get home it's late. Bleh! I go for my 3 day motorcycle certification this weekend so no exercise this weekend either! I'm suffering over here because I know I need to exercise to get back to where I was last Friday (pound wise). I will jump back into this on Monday.

SBD Sass
11-07-2008, 09:30 AM
I finally did my Day 10, but I think I should start over with Day 1 because I'm sore. I guess one rule of thumb is that you cannot take breaks in the Shred or when you exercise period or you're body will become lazy and will hurt once you get back in.

RangerChic
11-07-2008, 09:59 AM
I've got to get back on this. Probably won't happen until next month though, this month is turning out to be pretty insane. Not giving up though on it!

SBD Sass
11-11-2008, 02:49 PM
OK so I started Level 1 over yesterday. Ha!

kellij
11-11-2008, 11:50 PM
Okay, I bought the dvd and did day 1. Yay!! :cb:

SBD Sass
11-12-2008, 08:33 PM
I have some serious, piercing pain in my front right leg up in the thigh. Not sure how I pulled it, but I was doing some kick boxing for the first time tonight and I went to do a lunge and OMG!!!!! This sucks because I want to work out! I'm so upset I can cry. :(