Old 10-19-2008, 02:22 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7

Default Whats your eating/workout routine

Im curious as to what all you gals follow. What is a normal day of eating for you, and how many days per week and for how long do you work out?

im also curious how much weight you have lost and how long it has taken you?

Im trying to set my goals but dont want to be unrealistic. I was hoping to have the 45lbs that I want to loose gone by my birthday next year which is Aug, 22, 2009. Is that a realistic goal? what do you think?

Im just starting to calorie count tomorrow but I am currently working out 4 days per week.

45minutes on the treadmill for 3 days with weight training. On the 4thday I do one hour or longer of just cardio.
eilla05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:14 PM   #2  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

I currently eat 2000 cals on rest days, 2150 on cardio days, 2300 on strength training days. I started in December eating less, but increased it in March when I started lifting weights. I brought the calorie levels down ~150 cals a day back in September to account for weight lost. For exercise I do 3 days a week of strength training (70-75 mins, but with rest periods between lifts) and 2 days a week of cardio (generally just walking, sometimes light, sometimes harder) for 60 mins, so 2 hours cardio total.

Since September I'm down 13.4 pounds, and for one of those weeks (on purpose) I ate at maintenance levels (~3000+ cals). Overall I've lost 97 pounds since December. My weight loss has been more consistent since I raised my calories and included weight training (and cut back on the cardio).

So to answer your question, yes, I think losing 45 pounds in about 43 weeks is a realistic goal. The one thing that has helped me greatly is becoming really precise about what I'm eating. I have lots of food that I enjoy, but I use my kitchen scale a lot, especially with higher calorie items. I really do believe that most of my weight loss has come from what I did in the kitchen, not in the gym. (Well, okay, I workout at home, but I think you get the idea.)
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:05 PM   #3  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Well I started really overweight (376) and was systematically eating my way much higher. I gained 70 lbs in the last four years alone.

So I eat 1800 cals a day. All healthy dairy, fats, carbs, lean proteins, seafood, fruits and veggies. I DON'T stray from my eating plan and have not for the 23 days I've been doing this. I drink 2 liters minimum a day of water. I exercise by walking 5 days a week (for 20-25 minutes)

I've lost 25 lbs in 23 days. I know it's not always going to come off this fast but I'm enjoying it for now I have to say.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 305/172.6/135

Height: 5foot 4 inches

Well, i started in april of this yr and I have lost about 65lbs so far. On average i loose about ten lbs per month. 6 days out of the week I eat an average of 1500 calories a day. I only drink water and lots of it! I cut out all red meat. I eat whole foods, lots of vegies and fruit. chicken, fish, turkey, and whole grains. I try my hardest to stay away from processed food but, dont cut it out all together. I do like the lean cuisines and healthy choice meals although they have more sodium than i like. I do cardio for 50 minutes 4-5 days a week with weight training about 3 days a week. for cardio I like the eliptical and treadmill. I recently started on the stair stepper. I also stretch and my job requires lots of walking. here is the part that keeps me going strong all week. This might not work for others but it has for me so far. If i stop loosing than I might have to cut this out a bit, but I give my self one day a week to cheat. usually on sunday i will have ice cream, and go out to dinner. plus, anything i crave throughout the week, i will try to have on my cheat day. It keeps me on track the rest of the week. well,
HVEECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 215.5/185.5/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi eilla05,

You've gotten some really good information above.

I'm pretty new to this and to be honest, I still have a lot to learn. I'm losing overall, but it's a little inconsistent - just like me.

I keep trying to stay around 1200 calories, but I can't say it's working for me. I just can't make myself stop eating there.

As for working out, I'm working hard at getting at least 30 minutes of something 5-6 days per week. I'm doing the C25K program (though I just moved to week 3), and I do weight stuff, too. I KNOW I'm missing core strength training, and especially ab training. I just haven't figured out how to get it in safely yet. Right now, I feel like I have my hands full juggling all that I'm doing not just exercise wise, but learning-wise also.

I also use fitday.com. I'm not perfect at it. I sometimes do not post food that I eat because I can't stand the fact that I'm not more in control of myself. To be honest, I'm working on a few bad habits, here, but Fitday has also shown me that I have a few GOOD habits. For instance, I am almost always below 30% fat. That is very difficult for me to believe. I almost always get my RDAs (with a multi-vitamin). So Fitday has been a huge help for me, too.

Additionally, and MOST importantly... I try to come to 3FC EVERYDAY. I make it a point to GIVE and TAKE. I post some encouragement and thank those who share themselves so freely here. And, I try to learn from the wisdom of others ideas and experiences. I'm working on this thing from lots of angles, but 3FC is the most important part of what I'm doing. I just wouldn't stay motivated otherwise.

Best wishes to you and I hope to see you around!
beth4365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:37 PM   #6  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

I do calorie cycling, but the average comes out to 1400-1500 calories per day.

I do strength training 3x per week.
I run 3 miles 3x per week, sometimes that falls on the strength training days.
I do other cardio when I feel like it now, usually a walk or bike ride on non-jogging days.
I have lost 106 pounds, it has taken me 4+ years to do it, with a long span of some plateau/regain in there.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I started in January. Went off-track in April for about a month (including a vacation) and gained back several lbs. At this point, I've lost 40 lbs.

I'm eating about 1500 calories/day. I avoid refined carbs and red meat. I eat a lot of chicken and salmon, some pork, dairy, veggie burgers (soy), lots of beans/lentils, veggies, fruits, and some nuts/flax, whole grains. I have a square of dark chocolate and a PB cup every day. At this point, I am allowing myself one off-plan meal a week.

For exercise, I get a 45+ min brisk walk most days and a Curves workout maybe 4x/week.

At first I was losing about 1.5+ lbs/week but now I am down to less than 1 lb/week. But the slow loss doesn't bother me too much at this point. I do want to drop another 5-10 lbs, but there's no rush.

Good luck!

Last edited by yoyoma; 10-19-2008 at 04:58 PM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:42 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/139

Height: 5'6"

I started at 267lbs eating about 1450 calories per day.
I have lost 103lbs in 18 months, I currently eat about 1700 calories per day

I try to do a full workout no less then 4 days per week. A full workout for me would be 45min of cardio (running or elliptical/stairmaster) and strengthtraining. I alternate abs/arms and legs. I also do pilates once per week (sometimes 2x) and lately I am doing alot of heavy yard work when not working out. When I first started I averaged more like 3 days a week.

The key to success is consistency. I may have an occasional off day or a bad week where I barely get one workout in. But nothing derails me completely. I immediately get back on track.
lorilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:19 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/187/140

Height: 5'8

I think your goal is certainly attainable.

I currently average 1400 calories a day and calorie shifting.
I've been working out about 3 times a week but I'm trying to do more. My apartment's cardio room recently changed hours and it conflicts with my work schedule so I'm looking into joining a gym. Right now I'm doing work out vids. I have netflix so I cycle around with what I currently have and renal vids.
Since the beginning of September I've lost 12 lbs. It's been about 6 weeks, so I'm averaging about 2 lbs a week.

Good luck!
raw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:52 PM   #10  

Height: 5'7

Some more questions from your replies..lol

what is the calorie shifting a few of you speak of? Is it where you eat more on workout days and less on non?

Also I was going to start out with 1800 cals a day but it seems like most of you started off with way less than that, whats the reason behind that?

ETA: How many of you have a family to cook for? and how many are single? Are your spouses supportive?

thanks much for your replies it gives me hope that I can indeed reach this goal!

My problem in the past is actually sticking to it long enough to really see results, although I must admit when i would try before it was some kind of diet with no real exercise, the one time I got serious, i joined WW and started walking an hour everyday, did great for a month and found out I was pregnant so stopped going to WW. Granted I only gained 19lbs for my whole pregnancy so im happy with that..

in any case im looking forward to getting to know some of you and reading about your sucess and failures and picking yourself up again. This seems like a great group of supportive women

Last edited by eilla05; 10-19-2008 at 07:56 PM.
eilla05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:39 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I started in January 07 and lost approx 60 by August 07. I'm currently maintaining.

When I started I was eating approx 1700 calories per day and I bumped that down to 1500 as I went along. I did have some days where I went below that, but not often. I maintain at approx 1900-2000 calories per day. I walk for exercise.

I think your goal is very realistic and doable. Also, 1800 calories might work for you with the amount of exercise you are doing. Try it and see if you lose, if you don't see a loss in a couple weeks, then lower it a bit. Everyone's body is different and it may take some tweaking to see what will work for you.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:45 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Quote:
I keep trying to stay around 1200 calories, but I can't say it's working for me. I just can't make myself stop eating there.
Beth, at your weight, 1200 is just too low. Most people who started out over 200 lbs, started out with a much higher calorie count. I started out at 1800 at 237 lbs. I now weigh 161 and eat 1500 calories and am losing. Had I started out at 1200, I'd have given up long ago. There's just no way you can expect your body to handle 1200 at your weight.

Back to the OP ...

I currently eat 1500 calories (+/- within a range of about 100 cals). I eat 3 meals and 3-4 snacks a day, including a protein shake after my workouts.

I lift weights and do a short bit of ss-cardio 3x per week and do HIIT cardio 2x a week. I try to get in a DVD workout or some kind of other activity at least one other day a week, but not always formal exercise. When I wake up in the morning I do stretches and crunches - but not in any formal, routine kind of way, more in a wake up and get the body moving kind of way.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:44 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 204/188/120

Hi, I'm with a trainer twice a week for 1 hr sessions...I go to the gym every other day and do 30 minutes on the elliptical (6 days a week at the gym total). I have cut sugar out of my diet as well as all fast food. I eat lots of grains, chicken and salads with low fat dressings. I lost 10 lbs the first week and 1 lb the second. Presently, my calorie intake is 1300 - when I only lost one pound last week - I asked the trainer should I increase my calories - we decided that we would increase the workout on the elliptical. (I can't believe I actually pay this guy-lol).

Best to ya!
chunckymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:06 PM   #14  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunckymonkey View Post
Hi, I'm with a trainer twice a week for 1 hr sessions...I go to the gym every other day and do 30 minutes on the elliptical (6 days a week at the gym total). I have cut sugar out of my diet as well as all fast food. I eat lots of grains, chicken and salads with low fat dressings. I lost 10 lbs the first week and 1 lb the second. Presently, my calorie intake is 1300 - when I only lost one pound last week - I asked the trainer should I increase my calories - we decided that we would increase the workout on the elliptical. (I can't believe I actually pay this guy-lol).
I really can't believe you pay him either.

Seriously though, there's a show on the air here in Canada - The Last Ten Pounds Bootcamp. They take women who are perhaps 10-20 pounds overweight and the aim is to get them to drop 10 pounds in 4 weeks. They use a very standard 1500 cal diet with 6 days of exercise (depends on the person but roughly 60-90 mins).

I suspect that the trainer probably thinks you're lying about what you're eating. I've seen this attitude from others (ie. fat people lie about their intake). That's why he's probably suggesting more working out. If that's not why then I would suggest you find out what his reasoning is for increasing workouts without increasing food. Has he worked out your BMR and the appropriate activity modifier? Can he tell you what he thinks you burn on a daily basis (including workouts)?

A quick and dirty number for your BMR would be 1800 calories. If you rested for 12 hours and did very light activity for 12 hours you might burn 2275 calories. So you should be able to lose weight on 1300 calories... without exercise. Once you add in your exercise your calorie requirements go up.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:25 PM   #15  
BELIEVE!

Hi eilla05 -

I currently eat 1600-1800 calories per day. I journal all my food on Fitday.com and get a healthy balance of carbs, fats, protien.

My exercise routine is 3x a week strength training with a personal trainer. I do cardio 6-7 days a week. On training days I do 30 min of cardio and non-training days I do 45 minutes. I also add in abs and always stretching at the end of my workouts. I find that I need/want to be in the gym. I may not need the 7 days, but it's working for me and it really helps my spirits and mental game in all of this.

I have 2 young children (3 year old & 20 month old). I usually give them the same things that I cook for me, but occassionally supplement their meal with extra fruit or things I know they will eat if they are refusing whatever else I give them.

My husband is the toughest part of my equation right now. I love him dearly - we've been married 14+ years, but he's not the most supportive or encouraging person right now. He is very complimentary of my weight loss and how I'm changing, but he's making no attempts to join me in a healthy lifestyle. This is even more frustrating because he really needs to do this. He struggles with his weight and health. I am doing my best to lead by example, do this for ME and hope that one of these days he's ready to do it for himself.

Lastly, I got back on track August 1st and I'm down 45 pounds.

Good Luck! You've found a great place for support and encouragement.

Barb
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote