Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-19-2008, 01:27 PM   #1  
ready 4 a re-birth ...

S/C/G: 5'2

Question Need Assistance from anyone and everyone that has input...

I had the lap band completed 12-31-08 and in the last ten months have lost over 130 lbs. I weigh in at 161 and figure I really only have 20 pounds to loose before I need to get all of this skin removed. I imagine that I have 20+ pounds of skin from the inner/outter thigh, butt, back, stomach, and under arm area .... guess all of me. I need to start investigating surgeons. I am sure some if not everyone is aware of the show "Big Medicine" on TLC??? Well they have that plastic surgeon that works with him and they are located in Texas (I am in Chicago). I wrote the show requesting that they forward my e-mail to the surgeon regarding any recommendations of surgeons in Chicago or if he is taking on any new patients. Since I have a PPO I am willing to do what I have to do to have the right surgeon complete the surgery. I wanted to have the total body lift all together (that is how the doctor on the show completes them). The surgeon has to be knowledgable with the lap band because he has to make sure that when doing the tummy lift he does not harm my port area.

So after all that background information I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations and even if I find someone on my own... I need help with questions I should be asking. I have had probably 17+ surgeries in my life due to other illensses and do not want to endure any surgery mess ups as we have all heard concerning plastic surgeries.

Thanks for all listening. Hope all is well with everyone.
redE2b1lessphatchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 156/150/130

Height: 5'4

I think that, with any plastic/reconstructive surgeon you choose, you might want to ask to see before/after pix of their work. Most (I think) have an album of some sort. Also, how many total body lifts, pt's with lap band, etc., they've had may help you make a decision. One more thing, does the doc who did the lap band have any suggestions? Good luck!!
winning the war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:34 PM   #3  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

I want a tummy tuck too!

-Pics are a great idea! Gives you an idea of what their stitches look like, and is a good indicator of what the scars will eventually look like...some dr's are better then others, check them out!

-When interviewing a surgeon, find out what kind of precedures he would recommend and then do the research online and see if you agree, we have more of a say then we somtimes think.

-A good dr won't do all the needed surgery at once if the skin removed weighs more then 10% of your current weight...otherwise is can be dangerous...ie if you weigh 160 then only removing 16lbs pf skin at a time is wise.

-Also...as I understand it, those that do the whole body lift should not be under the knife for more then 8-10 hours.

-If there are any questions about how long or how much skin is to be removed...they really should recommend doing the surgeries in sections like arms and breasts then legs and stomach wiht 8 weeks between surgeries...etc.

Good luck honey, read everything you can...Knowledge is power!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 10-19-2008 at 08:37 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote