Old 10-17-2008, 05:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 254 / 229 / 154

Height: 5'6"

Default Tips for staying on plan over the weekend?

Weekends are always my downfall! I've had a good week so far - I've been eating healthy and exercising - but too often it all comes apart once the workweek ends and I don't have the structure of my work schedule.

So over the weekend, I wind up eating out, overeating, eating junk, and not doing enough exercise.

Help a newbie here - please share your tips and tricks for making weekends work for you!!

Thanks
SeaSideSparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 05:08 PM   #2  
Intuitive Eater

Hello SeaSide

I just happened to see your post while checking out the new posts and the title caught my attention. I've started a personal challenge thread for this very reason. I struggle during the weekend. Check out the thread, it's based on goal setting.

Here's the tracking thread: http://3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154205

Here's the chat thread: http://3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154203

Could be worth a shot!

PS. to 3FC!

Last edited by Blue Serenity; 10-17-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Blue Serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 05:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Seaside....I agree that weekends can be challenging. That being said...it is all the more reason to do your planning ahead the best you can. If you are going out with friends - check the online menu at the restaurant, if possible. If you have a party to attend - bring something healthy for your dish to pass. If you have a party or event - eat a large lettuce salad with lite vinegarette before you go so you won't be really hungry when you get there. If you go to the movies, get air popped popcorn or bring yourself a 100 pack and buy a large water. The key is planning ahead.

For example - I know that tomorrow we are having friends over to watch the OSU/MSU football game. I will have snacks - veggies and lite dip, fruit, and chips & salsa (I won't eat the chips). We decided to get Chinese at halftime. I already know what I'll order from the restaurant...steamed veggies dumplings. I am hoping that all this planning will keep me from overeating or binging. My DH bought a cherry pie today and he'll get ice cream. I'll allow myself a sliver and a small spoonful to taste it and not feel deprived. I am hoping for the best. Sometimes all the planning in the world doesn't work...but often it does.

Also....do your exercises as soon as you get up!

Good luck!

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 10-17-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:06 AM   #4  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Planning is really important, especially if you don't have a structured schedule. If you eat out a lot on the weekend, start by changing where you go so that you have healthy options to choose from.
Or start new habits like creating fun healthy dishes to eat at home - trying new recipes and invite your friends over to try them (but don't call them healthy LOL).

Bring certain portable snacks with you if you are out all day. Things like string cheese, zone or balance bars, zip bag with some nuts or dry cereal. Something that you can pull out and nosh on knowing exactly what you are eating instead of giving into temptation somewhere.

The more you practice this on weekends, the more it will become your habits and it will get easier over time. Not easy, but easier
I have those times where the best laid plans end up on the floor all trampled on - but I know that the very next meal is an opportunity to get back on track.

Last edited by fiberlover; 10-18-2008 at 10:07 AM.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:41 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 248/240/167

Height: 5'6

Eat breakfast. If I eat breakfast then I am fine for the rest of the day. Like others have mentioned already have snacks with you or if you go to a party or event, eat before you go.
aliciag57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 254 / 229 / 154

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for the tips everyone!! This weekend was rough for me - I did try to do some planning, and I was good about sticking to my exercise, but I had some rough patches too.

Buffet of tasty hors d'oeuvres. Even as I was loading my plate with tasty nibbles, I knew it was a mistake. But I'm determined to just learn from my mistakes, and get better every day.
SeaSideSparkle is offline   Reply With Quote