General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-15-2008, 11:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Default I'm excited!

I'm less than a pound and a half away from the 60 lb mark. It's really exciting for me, as it's my unassisted weight loss record (I lost 70 lbs in high school on prescription diet pills). I've only lost 60 lbs twice before. Once on Nutrisystem, and once after herniating a disc (the combination of pain and vicodin are a pretty effective appetite suppressant - also I was in the YMCA pool three times a day - though for the first couple months it wasn't so much swimming for exercise as treading water to escape the pain caused by gravity).

This past month I've been really sick with a nasty respiratory infection, and my typical change-of-season fibro flares. When my sinuses are plugged I tend to want to eat and eat and eat (feed a cold, feed a fever, I feed them all), but I did very well. Not gaining was an achievement. I credit my success to hot broth soups and sugar free popsicles (and my hubby for making the grocery runs to get them).

Hubby's idea of meal preparation is microwaveable soups, frozen dinners and fast food, and I didn't argue. I made the best choices I could given his idea of menu planning.

Another of his bad habits is wanting to bring me my favorites when I'm sick to make me feel better. I did pretty well (but I didn't turn down the cheesecake, I just asked him not to bring that again unless I asked).

That I didn't gain any weight has been a real achievement. It does strike me though, how very different my outlook is this time. It's so much about the longhaul that I'm less likely to be discouraged over small gains, or non-losses, or obstacles. Sure I would have loved to have spent this month losing steadily, instead of taking a whole month to lose 1 lb, but I don't feel like this month has been a "total loss," or a reason for discouragement as I would have in the past.

That's not to say I'm not a bit annoyed or frustrated that this month wasn't more productive. But it's nice to not feel constantly stressed while trying to lose weight. I've had to be a bit of a split personality as I've learned how to succeed at weight loss, and unlearned all the bad habits I've had. When I would start that old "stinkin' thinkin'" I had to remind myself to stay focused and stay positive. And while it worked, it was weird having to feel like two people Old Colleen and New Colleen. I'm having to remind myself less, so it's rather refreshing to feel like just one person (although hubby says I have personalities to spare).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

You didn't lose them, you threw them away! It was no accident
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Colleen - that's awesome. Good for you. I know when I'm sick I tend to want to indulge myself. It's hard to not say "well, I feel miserable and so I deserve this!"

Just think ... at 60 lbs you'll be 1/4 of the way towards your goal. 25% ... that's pretty incredible.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:44 AM   #4  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

congratulations! it's encouraging to see you getting there. i also tend to want to eat eat eat when i'm sick. part of it is being home and being bored and feeling yucky- i just want to make myself feel better and food is just right there in the kitchen! you did a good job!
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:57 AM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

It is exciting, and for some reason the first time in this weight loss attempt that I've really seen and felt the weight loss as significant. Because I'm still pretty much in the same size as when I started (having for some reason, lost absolutely no inches in my hips), it's been hard to feel that the amount is significant (even though I keep reminding myself that it is, I didn't really "feel" it).

For some reason it hit home today. Last winter I bought a peach sweat suit, for cold night jammies. It fit, but was too snug in the thighs to be comfy for jammies, and I looked too much like a giant piece of fruit to wear it in public (think Willy Wonka's Violet Beauregarde as a peach or mango instead of a blueberry). I've been thinking of trying it on for a few weeks now, but I've been putting it off (afraid it still wouldn't be comfy), and finally tried it on tonight, and it's comfy. Yeah!

It is funny though how difficult it is to "feel different." If I list everything that I can do now that I couldn't do when I started, there's been a lot of progress in those 60 lbs - more so than any weight loss in the past (when I was young and active, even though very fat. The weight loss never made huge differences in my abilities like it is doing this time).

It's just really sinking in that I'm going to make it this time (as long as I remember that giving up isn't an option).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:59 AM   #6  
Ready to do this!

S/C/G: 215/197/145

Height: 5'7

I'm so impressed with your attitude!! It's very strong! Congratulations and best wishes!
reddahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:23 AM   #7  
Going goal.

S/C/G: 316/ticker/140

Height: 5'6" & 3/4"

Congratulations!! 60lbs is defintely something to hoot about. And I agree, with that attitude there's no doubt you'll reach that goal. Here's to getting to goal and maintaining a wonderful lifestyle

Last edited by pixiefalls; 10-16-2008 at 04:24 AM.
pixiefalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:28 AM   #8  
No description available.

midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:42 PM   #9  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

CONGRATULATIONS to you!
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 05:53 PM   #10  

Height: 5' 8"

You ROCK!

Your attitude is an inspiration!
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:07 PM   #11  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Congratulations! You are continually a source of inspiration to all of us.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:11 PM   #12  

Height: 5'9"

Whoo hoo Good for you!
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:25 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Yeah, Colleen... just 2 lbs. to hit this major goal! Way to go (especially doing well this last month when you had to depend on DH to feed you)!

I'm proud of you, and I'm excited to watch your ticker continue it's downward trend... slowly but surely!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:50 PM   #14  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Kaplods, congrats! You should be excited. 60 pounds is excitement worthy

Like you, I am happy with my weight loss as it is the first time, in many many times, that I have lost weight without pills and/or hurting myself.

Really and truly healthy eating and exercise. Hooray for both of us

Last edited by kittycat40; 10-16-2008 at 08:54 PM. Reason: edited to apologize for patting my own self on the back in your thread!!
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:01 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Congratulations!!!

You and your thoughtful posts are such an inspiration!
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote