General chatter - Your Favourite Cardio Machine

View Full Version : Your Favourite Cardio Machine

mazza
10-15-2008, 08:56 PM
We all know that it's up to you to push yourself when you exercise, and the sort of machine you use to do your cardio with doesn't necessarily predetermine the level of intensity of your workout.

What is your favourite cardio machine? This can be the one you use most often, enjoy the most (if you do like exercise :D) or feel is the most challenging.

I'll start off: I love the exercise bike and rower but right now I'm in a big treadmill phase. My knees are taking a beating from sprint intervals and uphill jogging but I've never felt this fit in my life!

How about you?

MadelinRose
10-15-2008, 09:13 PM
I looooooove the elliptical! It's hard for me to push myself on a stationary bike, and treadmills are just too hard on my legs, but the liquid motion of the elliptical allows me to get my most efficient work-out. I usually burn as many calories as minutes on the machine times 10, so where I am now thats 450 to 500 calories (and by December, I plan on that number being 550 - 600!)

At my college gym, they have both the original elliptical and the "ski-machine" version with moving handles. I alternate from day to day to keep things interesting, and always come armed with my iPod! It's actually become one of my favorite times of the day.

chunckymonkey
10-15-2008, 09:35 PM
Yep, it's the eliptical for me...I go 2.5 miles in 30 min burn around 340 on tension 1. I think this machine goes to 10 but 1 works just fine-;)

murphmitch
10-15-2008, 09:41 PM
I think the treadmill is the best for me. I'm not too coordinated so sometimes the elliptical is a little too much more me. I used to love the recumbent bike, but my gym moved it farther away from the TV's that you can tune into, so I don't use it as much anymore. I like to gradually up the incline and occasionally do sprints so I like the versatility of being able to do a variety of things on it.

nelie
10-15-2008, 11:04 PM
Actually not a machine, I have to say I enjoy exercising outside. I've been enjoying my running outside :)

BarbPA
10-15-2008, 11:08 PM
I love the elliptical!!! That is my prefered mode of cardio. I never feel comfortable on the bike and I get bored on the treadmill. I love cranking up my ipod and getting a good, sweaty workout on the elliptical.
:carrot:

PhotoChick
10-15-2008, 11:50 PM
Elliptical for me. I have to force myself to change it up sometimes because I like the elliptical so much.

The treadmill doesn't work for me as well as it used to because now that I'm in better shape I have to run to get my heart rate up and I still have too much jiggly fat to run. It's actually quite painful - both on my hips and with my boobs.

So for me it's really all about the elliptical. :)

FB
10-16-2008, 12:32 AM
Well hoorah Mazza! More exercise questions! :)

I'm having this love affair/honeymoon with gym cardio machines. Until recently (a few months) I solely used the gym solely for weights.

Elliptical is great, great & GREAT for intervals, also love that stairmill/escalator thing. Rowing also ranks up there recently.

JazzyNurse
10-16-2008, 02:01 AM
I'm in love with the Arc Trainer! Since I started using it about 2 months ago I have seen a huge change in my body shape. I do 30 minutes along with 15 minutes on the treadmill. The scale isn't moving as well as I'd like but the inches are definitely coming off and it's huge motivation.

Wifey
10-16-2008, 12:46 PM
I really love the elliptical! I'm so proud that I can do more than 30 mins on it now! I enjoy the treadmill on occasion. These are the two machines I use the most. :wave:

mazza
10-16-2008, 11:27 PM
Sounds like a lot of people like the elliptical!

misserica3
10-17-2008, 12:22 AM
The elliptical machine is definitely my fave.. I try to be on it for a hour when I work out.

lizziep
10-17-2008, 01:39 AM
i absolutely loathe the eliptical- it hurts my knees, i have a hard time coordinating it, i am dying after about 1 minute!
my machine of choice is a recumbent exercise bike- no jostling which makes me dizzy like on the treadmill, easy on the knees, no crotch falling asleep like on the regular bikes... it's perfect for me. :)

PearFreak
10-17-2008, 10:42 AM
An Arc Machine Fan here. It took awhile to get used to it (read: coordinated)... but now it is my prefered machine. Love me My Arc Machine!!!

zeffryn
10-17-2008, 10:45 AM
I prefer working out outside. My DH and I are both avid cyclers. If I have to have a day inside, I take a cycling class or go for a run on the treadmill. The elliptical bores me.

besita
10-17-2008, 11:59 AM
My favorite is the treadmill! I love to run, and it's perfect since I have it pointed towards the window and have a good view. I crank the stereo up and go! :)

asparagus4sale
10-17-2008, 12:35 PM
I love the treadmill too. I don't even understand how people can manage the ellipticals. I have trouble setting a good pace on it but the treadmill does it for me. Also, I like running.

alinnell
10-17-2008, 01:22 PM
I love the treadmill. I can stay on the treadmill for three or four times longer than the elliptical, but if all the treadmills are taken, I'll go for the elliptical. Not once have I sat at a bicycle and my knees cannot handle the stair steppers. At home we have a NordicTrak which I used to use faithfully, but if I'm home I'd rather take the dog out for a walk. At the gym, its the treadmill.

DRose
10-17-2008, 03:40 PM
I really dislike going to the gym to do cardio, sooo boring. If I had a choice I'd just take a long walk with my dogs, or just through a nature trail but thats not usually an option as it rains 8 months out of the year here. SO if I were to go to the gym and do cardio I like the eliptical and the treadmill.

blackdove95
10-21-2008, 11:50 PM
Do any of you have affordable, effective ellipticals at home?

Hat Trick
10-22-2008, 12:32 AM
Definitely the treadmill. Love the variety it provides. Intervals, steady state, incline walks, incline runs, incline intervals, running faster or slower, weather doesn't interfere . . . :D

PC - if running is not possible right now have you ever tried upping the incline to like a 6 or 7 and walking around 4.5 mph or so? It gets your heartrate up there and the calorie counter on the machine goes round and round. :yes: Easier on the bod than running but it kicks butt - literally, you will feel it in your butt the next day!