Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2002, 06:34 PM   #1  
I WILL get to my goal!

Question Yoga Anyone?

I had this thread in another section of this forum, and I found it may be more appropriate here...

Does Yoga help in losing weight?

If it does, how much can I expect it to help with weight loss if I choose Yoga over traditional exercising?

Give me ALL the details!
Old 04-17-2002, 06:51 PM   #2  
Just one bite at a time

S/C/G: 210/210/146

Height: 5'5"

Oh!

I am probably going to make myself realy unpopular here. But read it all before you jump on me!

Yoga does not aid weight loss. It does not increase weight loss. It is not a way to lose weight.

It IS a very very good way to tone and strengthen the body. To relax and invigorate yourself. It DOES help maintain weight loss, but you'll need to have either reduced your calorie intake or increased your expenditure to achieve this. It is just one of the many activities that we should all try to incorporate into our lives.

You should concentrate on the usual activites that increase muscle strength and cardiovascular fitness to aid weight loss (walking, swimming, weights and treadmills, aqua classes, aerobics classes, gardening etc etc etc). Add yoga to your life, biut don't drop something else to fit it in - unless that something is eating or relaxing in front of the TV!?!?!

I hope this doesn't put you off trying it out, it is a wonderful way of relaxing and stretching and lengthening muscles. Stef
Old 04-17-2002, 07:13 PM   #3  
I WILL get to my goal!

Angry

Stef,

Thanks for your reply. I kinda thought that was the case since yoga isn't doing anything that keeps your heart rate up for at least 30 min.

I feel better with the advice you gave because now I know that I need to start an aerobics to help lose weight as well as decrease me cal intake, but I can use Yoga to firm and strenghten the new found muscles I will be uncovering.
Old 04-26-2002, 02:34 PM   #4  

Hi, I'm new here. I just had to but in and disagree, yoga does get your heart rate up. I do the Ashanta form of yoga and I deffiniteley get out of breath as I work my way through the fluid, no resting salutations. But, It is moderate exercise I increase my HR by perhaps 50%. I use it because it builds strength and is excellent for flexabillity. I do an hour of yoga perhaps twice a week, I also do Pilates, and I am looking around for a treadmill. I need variation in my routine, I get bored easily.

My friend has a tape or DVD called Yoga for weightloss (Living Arts I think)and she has incorporated it into her plan really nicely. As part of an overall plan I think Yoga rocks. I have a lot to lose though and I don't know that it is agressive enough. Also, quite honestly, it makes me very sore and I would have trouble getting through it 2 days in a row, LOL.

Good Luck.
Old 04-27-2002, 09:28 PM   #5  

I have to agree with Sundrop... some forms of yoga do get the heart rate up and going. It is definitely possible to sweat in a yoga class (and it's not because the room is hot!). Some forms focus on stretching and focus while the Ashanta version (some might know it from power yoga) is what is great to really rev up your body.

I've taken some of these classes before and they are great!
Old 05-10-2002, 07:54 PM   #6  
it's always something

That all sounds really interesting! I've been considering yoga lately, not for weight loss, but just for relaxation and stress relief. I'm curious about the "power yoga" though, as I've never really looked into it.

Thanks for all the input!
Old 05-12-2002, 07:57 AM   #7  

I'm new here and thought I would post a comment about yoga.

I take yoga three times a week. What kind it is -- I don't know. I take the yoga for the strengthening and toning of my muscles. This could never be the only exercise I do because I don't find it aerobic, but then I don't consider walking exercise either. Let me qualify that, I didn't think of walking as exercise. Now I do. I go to 2 stretch and toning classes, one aerobic class, walk 4 days a week, and two sessions of nautilus and free weights training in addition to 3 yoga sessions every week.

I do get a little warm in my yoga classes because I am expending energy holding the positions, but I don't confuse that with aerobic activity. Yoga, stretching and toning, and using weights (resistance training) are probably considered anaerobic exercises and we need to incorporate both, the aerobic and anaerobic, in our exercise program. The resistance training is good because it helps the build muscle which will help your metabolism and that means burning fat.

So if you do yoga, good for you. But you will probably need to add some aerobic exercises to your program too. I enjoy yoga immensely, especially when I go right before work.
Old 05-13-2002, 03:25 PM   #8  

I think that the beautiful thing about Yoga is that virtually anyone of any fitness level can do it and get something out of it. I am a pretty flexible Fat Chick, years of ballet as a kid and teenager left me with long tendons. So for me the challenge is balance and strength. I have different tapes for different moods. I have one that always kicks my ***, I have never finished the full hour and held all the poses to completion, other tapes give me serenity in the middle of 2 kids under 5. Power yoga, how shall I put this? It's a hybridization of ashanta Yoga to make it seem more commercial and aggressive. It is in my oppinion dangerous to not pay full attention to breathing while moving through yogic poses at double time. Yoga is not a quick workout, and it shouldn't be. There is a pace and warming of the body that takes time to develop and the cool down is long and leaves you feeling calm and energized like after a massage.

Oxygen has a Yoga program that's shown several times each morning called Inhale (I think) I used to do it quite a bit. It's a full hour and quite challenging if you really concentrate. It might be fun to just tune in one morning and give it a try or set your VCR to record it.

Right now I'm doing Yoga 3X a week and I have this new Swiss ball thing that is just shredding my arm and abdominal muscles (in a good way) the other 2 days. I probably do not get the cardio I need but I'm dropping weight quickly with my diet and I always have sore muscles telling me that I'm effecting some sort of change in my body. I'm picking up a treadmill soon though because I do think in the long run I will need X minutes at X heart rate. All of the serious yoga types I know do other things as well.

But Yoga I think I will always keep and once the kids are in school I'll start classes agin, hopefully in a smaller stronger body.
Closed Thread