Old 10-15-2008, 11:50 AM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Default Alli

Hello! Is anyone (still) taking Alli? I started last weekend and so far so good. I've had treatment effects once, and while they were unpleasant it could have been worse. I don't take it with every meal, as it turns out most of the time I don't eat too much fat, but I have taken it at least once a day since I started. I find that knowing it's in my system helps keep me honest.

I'm more interested in sort of being forced to make healthy choices until that becomes habit, rather than the extra 50% boost in weight loss. Not that I'm opposed to the boost, it's just that I didn't take Alli thinking it was a magic pill or anything.

As for the cost, it's about the same as WW, which I was a member of last year. At that time I was looking for accountability more than anything, and Alli is keeping me accountable for sure!

Anyway, just wanted to get a new thread started to see if there's anyone else out there.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 260/252/150

Height: 5'7"

I just received my starter kit today, I also think that being on Alli will help me make healthier decisions and will help me break the munching habit that I have. And since I am a college student, that is a very hard habit to break. Its great to see there are other people out there doing the same thing that I am, helps make it easier for some reason. Like with you I too was on weight watchers last year and though it helped me start to look at how I was eating, I am hoping alli will be a little more helpful.
mashfreak077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:17 AM   #3  

I've been using it for about three weeks now. I honestly don't know what to think. I have yet to have any treatment effects. That hasn't been too surprising because my diet is pretty low fat. But, two days, I was traveling and succumbed (for the first time in two months!) to fast food. I thought it would be a good chance to see whether Alli really works. I had a Double Stacker and a small order of fries. That's a LOT of fat grams--39 in the burger alone. So I should have had some treatment effects, right? Nada. Not a thing. I'm beginning to wonder whether this stuff actually works.

I've been on a very healthy low-fat diet that focuses on vegies, fruit, whole grains, low-fat dairy and lean protein. Until my Burger King sin the other day, I haven't eaten one thing I shouldn't have. I've only lost three pounds in the last month and a half, and only one pound since starting Alli. I think I wasted my money.

I've had two knee surgeries in the past two months, so my activity levels have dropped off, but two weeks ago, before my second surgery, I was back to (slow) jogging on the treadmill and I'm already back to walking 45 minutes a day on the treadmill, so it's not as if I've been lying around on my big butt the whole time. I'm very discouraged. :-(
JukieF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:17 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukieF View Post
I've been using it for about three weeks now. I honestly don't know what to think. I have yet to have any treatment effects. That hasn't been too surprising because my diet is pretty low fat. But, two days, I was traveling and succumbed (for the first time in two months!) to fast food. I thought it would be a good chance to see whether Alli really works. I had a Double Stacker and a small order of fries. That's a LOT of fat grams--39 in the burger alone. So I should have had some treatment effects, right? Nada. Not a thing. I'm beginning to wonder whether this stuff actually works.

That does seem odd! I believe it does block fat because I did have treatment effects. Maybe your body had adjusted to Alli and did dispose of the additional fat without treatment effects? Especially since you say the rest of your diet is pretty low-fat.

I'm personally not on Alli right now but I think I'll start back up tomorrow. It started with traveling to a wedding over the weekend, then I had to travel for work the last couple of days, and eating/bathroom use were pretty much out of my control. I was happy to find when I was on it last week that I was generally altering my behavior. I would scrape off extra mayo, cheese if I was eating a sandwich, for example just to be sure to avoid those effects.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:35 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 210/199/150

Height: 5'6

Hello!
I am back on Alli . I tried it once before and didn't have much success.
I have been on about a week.No teatment effects at all.
I ,too, need extra "help"being accountable for what I eat.
Wishing everyone GOOD LUCK !
cartp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:58 AM   #6  
Starting to Get It!

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/120

I was looking at Alli, it seems kind of expensive. How does it work? What are treatment effects?
AmberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:33 PM   #7  

Hi Amber!

Alli works in two ways. One, it blocks some of the fat you eat from being absorbed, so you save calories. Two, it is a behavior modification plan. If you eat more fat than recommended, you experience the unpleasant treatment effects. These include oily spots in your undies and unpleasant poops. (Sorry, I don't know how else to put it). I experienced them one time and it was unpleasant but I don't have any horror stories to share, nothing that anyone else would have been able to notice.

Alli is kind of expensive, but I figure the price is the same as a month in WW. I've also found that I don't use a pill at each meal, because some of my meals are just so low in fat to start with. (I guess I'm not really following the Alli plan as recommended).

I was in a Dollar Tree the other day looking for stocking stuffers, and I found the Alli Diet Plan book there! I remember reading about the book here, it was recommended even if you didn't take the pills. So I picked it up for myself! I still haven't looked through it too closely, but it's in my kitchen waiting to be used. If you have a Dollar Tree near you, you might pop in and see if they have this book there!
Old 12-04-2008, 12:51 PM   #8  
Starting to Get It!

Wow Thanks a lot Amy! I feel kind of stupid for asking what the treatment effect where...I should have gotten that . Thanks for explaining it though. I am having a really hard time trying to figure out how to do all of this.

I think I need to start a journal or something to get a focus.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:30 PM   #9  

Height: 5'6.5

Amber - Try one of the calorie websites. I'm newly addicted to fitday.com.

My advice, personally, stay away from the pills. You can't take them forever and I don't think they are worth it.
JamieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:05 PM   #10  
Starting to Get It!

Thanks Jamie Jo for the advice. Just out of curiousity...Why do you think diet pills are bad? I know doctors subscribe them sometimes to people. I do think the "treatment effect" (thanks Amy for explaining) seems kind of weird.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:10 PM   #11  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Hi ladies. I have been taking Alli since June. I have taken the Rx strength before but have switched OTC Alli this time. I am weaning myself from the pills now. Typically my breakfast and lunch have very little fat--like under 3 or 4 grams total so I only take one at dinner time. I feel they have helped me achieve my weight loss. They do not leave my digestive tract and don't make me shaky or anything. I have had side effects before (red, oily thing) but only when I have eaten things that weren't on plan! In some ways, I am glad to see they do their job. Pills are not the answer but for me they have been part of success and if I have trouble maintaining once I hit goal I am sure I will go full force with them again (3x's a day). I wish all of you luck. If you will follow Alli advice you will have success. By the way, I pay $70 for 120 pills. At the rate I am going now that one bottle lasts me 3-4 months.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:16 PM   #12  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Oh, one other thought I wanted to share--

A year or so ago I started Alli half/heartedly for a few weeks and made no other changes. I did not exercise and ate as usual. I lost zero weight. The key here is to change your habits in addition to Alli. It will not MAKE you lose weight--but it will help if you are doing your part.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:01 PM   #13  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

The treatment effects are real - trust me. I went to an Italian restaraunt a while back and had a few too many pieces of sourdough bread and butter. It told on me the next morning.

I don't know if they work alone, but I could see them being used as a form of "aversion therapy" - by holding you accountable if you eat too much fat.

Last edited by grneyedmustang; 12-04-2008 at 06:01 PM.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:07 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 210/199/150

Height: 5'6

well I do kinda like the fact it has some "adverse" effects. Makes you think before you order those fries.
I am currently having a binge I guess so at least I know if I am real bad ,bad things will happen.
Aversion therapy is not a bad idea for me.
I am a food addict
cartp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:27 PM   #15  
Starting to Get It!

After Jamie Jo's comment I decided to look up about Alli. It seems kind of dangerous from what I have read. I don't really think it is the route I am going to go.