Exercise! - Too fat to run, huh?

View Full Version : Too fat to run, huh?

Primm
10-14-2008, 11:31 PM
I'm in the middle of the C25K program. Up to week 4 this week, which is 3 min jog, 1.5 walk, 5 jog, 2.5 walk and repeat.

I usually run early in the morning to beat the heat, but yesterday was my "recovery" day from night duty, so I slept until lunchtime and did my run at about 5pm, when it had cooled down a bit. Apparently Tuesday is Little Athletics day, so as they were using half of the track I modified a bit.

There were a group of early teens standing near the kids, stirring them up and having a bit of a go. Loud enough for the kids to hear, but quiet enough so their parents and coach couldn't. But I heard them, and glared as I ran past.

Then I heard "Jesus Christ! Check her out - she's way too fat to run!" I turned around and asked him to repeat what he'd said, so he did.

At which point the conversation went something like this:

Me: Fancy yourself as a bit of an expert on running, do you?

Kid (puffing chest up): Yep.

Me: Reckon you can run a mile?

Kid: Easy!

Me: Wanna race?

Kid (laughing): Sure!

Me: Ok then. A mile is four laps. And just to make it interesting, you can have a head start. Say, the length of the sprint track? (100m).

So he's off. And sprinting. And as he hits the end of the straight I can see him starting to falter.

I took off after him, but pacing myself at a nice easy jog. By the end of the 2nd lap I'd caught him. By the end of the 3rd lap I'd lapped him! I felt a bit sorry for him at this stage, as he looked like he was going to throw up. But to his credit he finished the whole 4 laps, even though I'd been sitting around drinking from my water bottle for an entire lap.

I patted him on the shoulder when he got back and said "maybe you should be joining those kids instead of teasing them!" The look on his face as I started jogging again was priceless.

Yes, I did more jogging than the program said. And yes, it nearly killed me! But I had to, to save face and to prove a point.

Too fat to run? Not this little black duck! :D

luvja
10-14-2008, 11:50 PM
You go girl! :)

MissKayytaay90
10-15-2008, 12:47 AM
hahah thats awesome. waay to go!

etherence
10-15-2008, 01:41 AM
HA! That was great!

tinamae
10-15-2008, 06:31 AM
Primm You Rock! You are my inspiration today. I just finished W3D3 this morning and I am feeling good! Keep up the good work.

Elwing
10-15-2008, 07:34 AM
Thank you for giving me a smile :). And good for you that you stood up against that guy instead of looking away!

MBN
10-15-2008, 07:39 AM
I love it !!! You showed them!! :cp:
It was a double-victory -- taught the kids an important lesson AND spurred you on to accomplish more than you thought you could do! :D Nicely done!

Circebee
10-15-2008, 08:08 AM
Primm, that was AWESOME! You must know that that boy will never forget the life lesson he learned! He will most likely tell his own kids about it someday. Little black duck, nothing- little roadrunner sounds more like it! Beep Beep!

Mae8217
10-15-2008, 08:24 AM
You Rock! That is the best story I've heard in a long time. :)

scarahjs
10-15-2008, 08:36 AM
Congrats!!! I love when you can show a bratty teenager up, especially when he was teasing kids younger then him!

JamieJo
10-15-2008, 12:12 PM
Oh my gosh, this MADE MY DAY!!!!!

BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly
10-15-2008, 12:17 PM
:cp::high: way to go!! thats awesome!

MotoMichelle
10-15-2008, 12:27 PM
:lol3: That is awesome!

sxulcmnky
10-15-2008, 12:55 PM
that is so awesome! i hope to do that one day!!!

midwife
10-15-2008, 03:00 PM
Yea, Primm! :carrot:

Shan
10-15-2008, 03:33 PM
Way to go! I just started c25k. I've finished w1 but I will repeat days 3-4 today and Friday, just so my run day have only one day in between them. What a great story. I love inspiring our youngsters!

Ookpik
10-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Way to go, Primm!

FB
10-15-2008, 05:50 PM
Oh, that's a butt kicking story! You so totally rock!

Primm
10-15-2008, 08:49 PM
Aw, thanks guys! :sniff:

Funny thing is, before I started running I wasn't that type of person. I'm a bit of a doormat as a rule, and spent a long time in an abusive relationship because I thought that's what I deserved.

Now I'm married to a man who thinks I am a supermodel and a princess, and treats me like that every day of the week. 5 years after we first went out, and he still opens the door for me. Every. Single. Time. Even when no-one is looking!

I stood up to one of the doctors at work who was doing something I didn't agree with last week as well. A senior guy, who until now I have been intimidated by and just whinged about what he did behind his back. He treats his nurses like crap, and disagreed with me the other day just for the sake of disagreeing. (I was right, by the way). So I told him I was right, and told him he was wrong. A month ago I didn't do stuff like that.

Don't know if it's the running. Don't know if it's the weight loss (9.4kg to date - best part of 21 pounds). Don't know if I've just reached a "stage" in my life, where I'm nearly 40, and I'm just turning into a cantankerous old broad (I hope so!) But I'm definitely a different person than I was a little while ago.

Thanks again for all your comments. You guys are the best!

Ilene
10-15-2008, 09:14 PM
Good for you for giving this young man a life lesson he probably will never forget, and doing it with style!! :bravo:

kittycat40
10-15-2008, 09:31 PM
I have a big smile on my face!! :) Great story. you so totaly rock! :)

chunckymonkey
10-15-2008, 09:51 PM
You Are Awesome and an Inspiration To Us All!

Way To Go!

Nancy7189
10-15-2008, 10:14 PM
Way to go! That is great!!

jenguin
10-15-2008, 11:45 PM
Best. Story. Ever.

Way to go, Primm!