South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 10-14-2008, 05:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/169/133

Height: 5feet 2inches

Default Phase2 and carbs problem

I have been on phase 2 now for a little while and have found that carbs trigger my IBS and increases the pain lebvel of my arthritis.The culprits are Potatoes, Pasta and bread.
I have not lost any more weight and finding it hard to keep going. My biggest problem is the evening meal. I try not to have carbs during the day and save them for the evening meal as DH hates the evening meal minus carbs.
I think I will have to cook carbs for him and leave it out for me.
Tonight we had half a twice baked potato each and I feel bloated.
I am going to have to sort out mealas that are really low in carbs or stick to lowGi carbs and see how I go with that.
I am disappointed that I have not lost any more weight.
paula953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

So sorry you're having these problems. I think that finding the low GI carbs that work with your IBS and arthritis pains is a good plan. Just three questions, though;

Were the twice-baked potatoes sweet potatoes or regular?

How long have you been on P2?

What is your daily meal plan? (Not specifics, but how many grains, starches, proteins, veggies, legumes and etc.)
Kim_Star060404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:47 PM   #3  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Wheat products may cause GI problems for some people. Could you use a different carb - like brown or wild rice, barley, oatmeal, quinoa? I'd play around with non-wheat whole grain choices.

Also are you getting plenty of healthy oils? Mediterranean diets like South Beach that encourage use of healthy oils (nuts and nut butters, olive oil, avocado, plenty of seafood) can sometimes ease arthritis symptoms. I take fish oil daily and use Glucosamine/chondroitin supplements which have really helped a lot.

Last edited by murphmitch; 10-14-2008 at 05:51 PM.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 329/311/not 329

Height: 5'6"

Paula, do you have RA? I do and I can confirm that carbs are murder. I REALLY feel it the next day when I've eaten any amount of bad carbs. I tend to stay away from anything white (potatoes, sugar, rice).. however when I do eat a carb I usually stick to pasta and it's always dreamfields. I don't know why but it's the only pasta I can eat that doesn't make me feel like crap.

I had a bad weekend a couple weeks ago and the very next day I was useless because the RA in my hands hurt so bad I could hardly function.

Last edited by BrendaS104; 10-14-2008 at 11:13 PM.
BrendaS104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:30 AM   #5  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by paula953 View Post
The culprits are Potatoes, Pasta and bread.
Sorry these are causing pain. But SB may have helped you isolate the culprits. Double check that the pasta and bread are truly whole grain and not white wheat with descriptions that you may be mistaking for whole wheat. Look at the ingredient list not the marketing description to be sure.

If you are sure these are whole wheat products, then as suggested above, you may need to find alternate products made with other grains and with no added wheat.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:27 AM   #6  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

well for me on SBD i almost never have pasta or bread (even whole wheat) and potatoes are always sweet potato. It's easy to nuke one potato or make one serving of pasta (which is really only 1/2 cup rather small)

there's also oatmeal (my favorite breakfast food) or stuff like barley or quiona for dinner grains.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:03 AM   #7  

Hi everyone
I have OA and borderline RA my arthritis flares up every so often and it is really painful when that happens.

I use beans, lentils, whole grain rice, chicken, salmon, lean mince, lean beef not much as it is so expensive, turkey, mackrel, sardines ( fresh not tinned)
lots of green veg, mushrooms, parsnips, onions, various other vegetables that are on offer, Salad stuff, sweet potatoes.
I watch the servings of meat and fish. I do not count the calories that is just so boring. I can never get it right anyway as different books and sites tell you different calories for the same things.

The twice baked potato was a regular potato, I am going over to sweet potatoes and see how they work out. I will see how much they are on the market tomorrow, cost has a lot to do with what I get as I am on a very low income. Fuel bills take a huge portion of our money not that I am unique with this everyone is in the same boat, it just makes it harder to buy in what we need for a healthy diet. I hunt around for the cheaper foods and get vegetables form the market and shop in the cheaper stores for other foods. Here in England we have supermarkets that are really trying hard to lower food prices and I go there as much as possible to help with costs.

I am hoping that I will start to lose weight again soon as it is really disappointing when I am trying so hard not to shed even one pound.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:54 AM   #8  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Paula I have Fibromyalgia which is not RA but I know similarly how you are feeling! Fish Oil Rocks! it helps lubricate your joints and brings down inflammation. Pain and flares make it difficult to lose. Are you able to exercise a little?
Are you near a community centre that might have a heated pool? Heat is an achy girls best friend!

Kierie
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:15 PM   #9  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Fish oil and glucosamine/chondroitin supplements have eliminated my pain from OA. Exercise really helps too.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:29 PM   #10  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Paula, I'm sorry that you're suffering with this. Did you read the SBD book? If you did, then you'd know that regular potatoes aren't allowed on Phase 2. I'm wondering if you'd feel better if you followed the "Foods to Avoid" and "Foods to Enjoy" lists closely? If not, you may want to talk with a dietician or experiment to find what things you can have.

Did bell peppers, dairy, tomatoes, or beans bother you in Phase 1? All have carbs. If they didn't, then maybe the issue isn't carbs as much as it is starches. Hope you can figure out something that helps you feel better!

Last edited by beachgal; 10-15-2008 at 12:29 PM.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:35 AM   #11  

I am trying to follow the lists closely but at the moment DH is doing most of the cooking as I have hurt my right arm and sort of out of action. I am planning the meals more now and supervising DH in the kitchen so we do not stray from the plan.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:50 PM   #12  

I am sorry to read about the pain that you are experiencing. I find fish oils as mentioned to be really helpful. I hope that the pain eases for you soon
Marianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:59 PM   #13  
Bingo

S/C/G: 270/202.8/165

Height: 5'8

My arthritis and tendonitis is better now that i'm in Phase I. I'm also worried about adding back carbs, for more than one reason.
dcapulet is offline   Reply With Quote