Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-13-2008, 09:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/219/150

Height: 5'7"

Default Is it possible to run a marathon?

Hey everyone! I am on to my 3rd week of exercising and I have about 60 pounds to lose to be considered at a "healthy" weight. I recently decided that I want to run a marathon in the next few years and am just looking for some motivation. Has anyone out there been overweight and gone on to run a marathon? I'm not out of my mind and expect to be able to do this within the year, but think that by this time next year I can at least run in a 10k, if not a half marathon. Once that is accomplished I can start training for a full marathon. Any thoughts, encouragement, advice?
Mae8217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:45 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I know there are a few people who have done a half marathon around here. My goal is to do a half marathon sometime soon and eentually a marathon. It is definitely possible to do.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:16 PM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

I ran one. It was fantastic, and when I get the postpartum weight off, I'm going to do it again. Probably another year or so.

You should look up YP1 (Helen) on the Goal section. She hasn't been around much lately, but is still out there running. Quite an inspiration.

My advice is to build up slowly. I had to sit out the first marathon I trained for due to a stress fracture.

Anne

P.S. I lost 115 pounds to get to a comfortable weight, still slightly overweight by BMI standards, but it works for me.

Last edited by AnneWonders; 10-13-2008 at 10:17 PM.
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:53 AM   #4  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Yes! I think it's doable, if you build up to it gradually over time. You are only in your third week of exercise, so it will take some time to build the endurance you will need. I'd suggest starting off with a smaller, short-term goal like a 5K. Then work up to a 10K, then a half-marathon,and so on. There are lots of beginner training schedules out there to show you how to train up to races of varying lengths. Running the shorter races will give you targets to shoot for, help you in your training, and give you some experience with running "events".

When you are first starting out, it is most important to establish a consistent running routine. If you try to push too far, too fast --that can be a recipe for injury. Take it gradually and don't forget the cross-training. Strength conditioning, core conditioning and stretching are also important for overall fitness and injury prevention.

But, yes, I believe that anyone in reasonably good health CAN complete a marathon given sufficient time and conditioning and motivation. It's a wonderful goal and a tremendous feeling of accomplishment when you reach that goal. And the training between now and then should help you toward your weight loss goal as well. I wasn't considered overweight when I started running, but I've seen lots of people out there that were ... and they could do it!

Good luck!!
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:21 AM   #5  

Height: 5'5"

I just started running this year and a marathon in a few years is also my goal. It might take me a while to build up to it. The main thing is to be consistent. Start now and try to slowly build up what they call a base. Beginning with a 5k and working your way up is great advice, and I would also add that it would help to start reading as much as you can about the subject so that you can learn how to go slow, listen to your body and eventually run a marathon injury-free. If there are any beginners running clubs in your area that can be a great way to get awesome advice and support as well.

I have no doubt that if you start now and train smart that you can do it
JoyfulVegGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:54 AM   #6  

If you want to be ready for the marathon the most important thing is to set a date. Then work as hard as you can to get there by that date. You just have to make up your mind and go for it.
teaspoondiet is offline   Reply With Quote