30-Somethings - What Brands of Makeup Do You Use?

View Full Version : What Brands of Makeup Do You Use?

SBD Sass
10-13-2008, 12:57 PM
I started wearing makeup when I turned 30 and that was just this past June. I've started out with Bare Escentuals because I was opposed to liquid foundations so it was either BE or Raw Minerals to start with.

Since I've been wearing makeup my needs have started to change. I'm into primers and blemish creams and colors and masquera and liners...it's getting expensive!

Anyway, what brands of makeup do you use? What products do you recommend or not recommend? I'm looking for a good eye shadow primer and it's not easy. I think I'm leaning toward Stila for that, but I'm not sure.

Or am I the only one who wears makeup around here??? :cool:

kelly315
10-13-2008, 01:01 PM
I don't generally wear any, except on special occasions. Too much hassle, and I hate to put potential chemicals and toxins on me.

Starrynight
10-13-2008, 01:07 PM
I loove Mineral Makeup! It's so light and isn't bad for your skin..
But I do love eyeshadow though, I love Urban Decay shadows.
I also use the Urban Decay eyeshadow primer, it's the best, makes your eyeshadows more saturated in color and keeps it in place..
These days though I've just been putting on the mineral foundation, concealor, and eyeliner.. sometimes blush. If I'm not wearing glasses then I'll wear mascara.

raw23
10-13-2008, 01:22 PM
I just use Rimmel foundation and some mascara, I like Cover Girl for mascara.
Oh, my mom uses Rimmel, too. I think it's pretty versitle.

SBD Sass
10-13-2008, 01:42 PM
I loove Mineral Makeup! It's so light and isn't bad for your skin..
But I do love eyeshadow though, I love Urban Decay shadows.
I also use the Urban Decay eyeshadow primer, it's the best, makes your eyeshadows more saturated in color and keeps it in place..
These days though I've just been putting on the mineral foundation, concealor, and eyeliner.. sometimes blush. If I'm not wearing glasses then I'll wear mascara.

That's what I heard!

luvja
10-13-2008, 02:04 PM
I spend too much $ on make-up.. It's my addiction. I use all brands basically, but covergirl seems to be my favourite. I love their foundations and colour-stay lipsticks.

bigsexy
10-13-2008, 02:07 PM
I've worked for Clinique for four years and Origins for a half year so I'm always trying the latest in the make-up brands. You're right--it becomes addictive and expensive!! But I have to say that in terms of eye shawdow primer, Clinique has one that has been a best seller every year that I've been there. We can barely keep it in stock! It's called Touch Base in Canvas. It's a neutral color but it grips your eye shadow and keeps it from creeping so the shadow you put on that morning it still there in the morning and in the original place too! I love it

bigsexy
10-13-2008, 02:12 PM
Cover girl is inexpensive and has a good selection to play with, but they STILL perform animal testing! That made me stop buying it--how can a company in today's time still use innocent animals to test cosmetic things on? And they don't just put the eyeshadow on their skin and observe what happens; they apply each individual ingredient to their eyes and mouths to see what happens! I know I sound like a PETA activist and I'm not, but I think it's not fair for that to be done to them and I don't think many people actually know about it. Ok....I'm off my soap box....sorry

SandiCO
10-13-2008, 03:29 PM
Bobbi Brown moisture foundation with SP15 works great for me. I also use the mahogany eye shadow to fill in my eyebrows. (I really don't have any ... I think it's a birth defect)

MarStevens
10-13-2008, 03:36 PM
I use bare escentuals; but it seems to not be covering for me anymore...

I'm NOT brand loyal..but HATE the heavy feeling of makeup..so I'm interested in hearing what you all say!

zenor77
10-13-2008, 03:36 PM
I wish I could wear makeup more often! It all makes my skin itch or makes me break out in a rash. I'm still looking for a brand my skin can handle.

Right now all I can use is Kiss My Face tinted moisturizer and ZuZu mascara.

colebear
10-13-2008, 04:06 PM
I love Mary Kay. I use their Mineral Makeup and mascara everyday. I love their lipsticks and glosses too, but it's a little pricy for me to play with all the colors. I buy the neutrals from MK and get the loud colors to play with from less expensive sources.

RangerChic
10-13-2008, 04:58 PM
I don't wear much makeup normally. I just wear a bit of CoverGirl coverup (to hide any imperfections!) and a powder foundation. I'm blanking on the brand right now which stinks. :p

SBD Sass
10-13-2008, 05:30 PM
I've worked for Clinique for four years and Origins for a half year so I'm always trying the latest in the make-up brands. You're right--it becomes addictive and expensive!! But I have to say that in terms of eye shawdow primer, Clinique has one that has been a best seller every year that I've been there. We can barely keep it in stock! It's called Touch Base in Canvas. It's a neutral color but it grips your eye shadow and keeps it from creeping so the shadow you put on that morning it still there in the morning and in the original place too! I love it

Do you know how much it cost? I'm playing around with Clinique pore minimizer for about a week now and it's cost me $18,50. I don't have really out of control pores but I'm shooting for a smooth face w/o the look of pores...I'm just not sure if it's a repair or a cover up kind of product. The girls in Sephora couldn't tell me, but that's a different story. Tell me about the pore minimizer a little bit if you're familiar. Thanks!

SBD Sass
10-13-2008, 05:32 PM
I use bare escentuals; but it seems to not be covering for me anymore...

I'm NOT brand loyal..but HATE the heavy feeling of makeup..so I'm interested in hearing what you all say!

I'm definitely not brand loyal. You should see my makeup bag, it's out of control. But do you use a BE primer (gah it's expensive - i'm still looking for a good primer - they say that Smashbox has a very good one) under the BE foundation? I found that when I were the primer the foundation keeps longer. W/O it, it's gone before noon.

PearFreak
10-13-2008, 06:05 PM
You can't go wrong with Stila. I LOVE their stuff. Have you ever gone into Sephora's? They have a wide selection of organic and mineral make-up. But a warning--- it can get addicting.

bigsexy
10-14-2008, 10:31 AM
The canvas touch base costs $13.50 and should last you around 6 months which I think is pretty cost effective. You only need just enough to be sheer on the eyelid--you should still be able to see your skin underneath. As for the pore minimizer it's great too. The instant perfector is a "filler" of sorts. There are only two colors (light and dark) and you pretty much press it onto your skin instead of rubbing it--you want it to press it into the pores to fill them. It also leaves your skin feeling SUPER soft. It's $16.50 though. If you're paying 18.50 you're probably using the refining lotion, which isn't what you need for what you're going for--it's a treatment for large pores. But for everyday use the perfector isn't cost-effective for the whole face but is fabulous for spot treatment. You'll get addicted! I would try the tinted moisturizer, Superbalanced foundation, or mineral powder (called Almost makeup powder) for full face application. All of them are sheer to moderate coverage, but just give you different finishes. Sorry so lengthy, but let me know if you have any more questions! :)

RangerChic
10-14-2008, 11:06 AM
OK, I wanted to clarify what my makeup brand was since I looked at it this morning (heh), it's L'Oreal. I used to use cheaper stuff, but my mom got me into this powder stuff. Not really sold on it as much anymore though.

Kati
10-14-2008, 11:35 AM
I use Max Factor and Mary Kay. Max is great for when you just need to grab something your out of and your MK dealer is away. However, since living here I have no way to get Max and my closest friend is a MK dealer and she is always throwing stuff at me. *sweet!*

oneupsteph
10-14-2008, 08:55 PM
I'm not a 30-Something, but makeup?! How could I not reply?

:soap:

I love makeup, and I'm not brand loyal either. I use Urban Decay/MAC for eyeshadow, Urban Decay for eyeshadow primer, Maybeliene/Drugstore brand for mascara, Makeup For Ever for concealer, MAC for powder foundation, and Makeup For Ever for eyeliner.

*breathe*

I don't wear all that makeup all the time. Typically I wear only mascara, concealer, and foundation. Sometimes I'll throw on some eyeliner and eye shadow when I'm feeling like it. : )

Also, I love my Starbucks napkins for blotting my oily face!

A really good website for makeup is Makeup Alley (http://www.makeupalley.com). It's my favorite!

Okay, I'm done!

:)

SBD Sass
10-14-2008, 09:41 PM
The canvas touch base costs $13.50 and should last you around 6 months which I think is pretty cost effective. You only need just enough to be sheer on the eyelid--you should still be able to see your skin underneath. As for the pore minimizer it's great too. The instant perfector is a "filler" of sorts. There are only two colors (light and dark) and you pretty much press it onto your skin instead of rubbing it--you want it to press it into the pores to fill them. It also leaves your skin feeling SUPER soft. It's $16.50 though. If you're paying 18.50 you're probably using the refining lotion, which isn't what you need for what you're going for--it's a treatment for large pores. But for everyday use the perfector isn't cost-effective for the whole face but is fabulous for spot treatment. You'll get addicted! I would try the tinted moisturizer, Superbalanced foundation, or mineral powder (called Almost makeup powder) for full face application. All of them are sheer to moderate coverage, but just give you different finishes. Sorry so lengthy, but let me know if you have any more questions! :)

OK th is really helps! I was reading the reviews about the pore minimizer and people where giving it 1 and 2 stars on the Sephora site because it doesn't minimize the pores. I see now! Thanks!!!

SBD Sass
10-14-2008, 09:42 PM
I'm not a 30-Something, but makeup?! How could I not reply?

:soap:

I love makeup, and I'm not brand loyal either. I use Urban Decay/MAC for eyeshadow, Urban Decay for eyeshadow primer, Maybeliene/Drugstore brand for mascara, Makeup For Ever for concealer, MAC for powder foundation, and Makeup For Ever for eyeliner.

*breathe*

I don't wear all that makeup all the time. Typically I wear only mascara, concealer, and foundation. Sometimes I'll throw on some eyeliner and eye shadow when I'm feeling like it. : )

Also, I love my Starbucks napkins for blotting my oily face!

A really good website for makeup is Makeup Alley (http://www.makeupalley.com). It's my favorite!

Okay, I'm done!

I wear all of my makeup everyday. Ha! I really don't need it but it's fun and it makes me look prettier. My man likes it too. Anyway, I have to try those Starbucks napkins! I can see myself going in asking for napkins...I can't eat anything in there so this will be weird.

Thanks for the site. Checking it out now!

SBD Sass
10-14-2008, 09:43 PM
Who has the best eyeliner??? And where do you all get your brushes???? I love my MAC all over brush and I spent a pretty penny on it too. I need a better kabuki brush as my BE kabuki brush doesn't cover evenly, I have to keep going over.

PearFreak
10-15-2008, 09:46 AM
Avon has a nice Kabuki brush. I don't own one from them, but a friend does. I bought mine at Sephora's. I'd have to look to see who made it though.

SBD Sass
10-15-2008, 11:46 AM
Avon has a nice Kabuki brush. I don't own one from them, but a friend does. I bought mine at Sephora's. I'd have to look to see who made it though.

If you could look I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

me4life
10-15-2008, 01:10 PM
i don't wear makeup often but when i do its bare minerals so easy to use and doesn't feel like your wearing any

oneupsteph
10-15-2008, 10:53 PM
Who has the best eyeliner??? And where do you all get your brushes???? I love my MAC all over brush and I spent a pretty penny on it too. I need a better kabuki brush as my BE kabuki brush doesn't cover evenly, I have to keep going over.

I use Makeup Forever's "Aqua Eyes". I put my eyeliner on my waterline, and finding one that lasts longer than 10 minutes seemed impossible. But it's awesome! You can get it at Sephora. It was like 16-17 dollarsish.

I love my Sonia Kashuk brushes for my powders and foundation, and I like my Sephora brushes for eye shadow.

PearFreak
10-16-2008, 12:14 AM
I looke... I got a Too Faced Retractable Kabuki Brush. Love it.

SBD Sass
10-17-2008, 12:43 PM
OK I'm about to put in my monthly order with Sephora and I'm trying to figure out which primer I should go with. I need help! Which one???

Smashbox 1oz.
http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml%3B$sessionid$Z4LYIAFQALAKQCV0KRRQQAQ ;jsessionid=Z4LYIAFQALAKQCV0KRRQQAQ?id=P191603&categoryId=A47

or

BE 1oz.
http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml%3B$sessionid$Z4LYIAFQALAKQCV0KRRQQAQ ;jsessionid=Z4LYIAFQALAKQCV0KRRQQAQ?id=P182405&categoryId=A47

Wifey
10-17-2008, 01:22 PM
I usually don't wear make-up. If I do...I have a fav colour of MAC eyeshadow and 2 fav colour of CoverGirl lipstick that I throw on. That's about it!

owlmonkey
10-17-2008, 02:03 PM
I really don't wear makeup often, and I wish I could afford mineral makeup. When I do wear it I splurge on choice items: a mascara, lip tint, and an eyeliner from Aveda or Burt's Bees. I can't wear foundation ususally because I like my skin to breathe. The only one that doesn't bother me is from Kiss My Face-and it's actually just a tinted moisturizer.

owlmonkey
10-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Has anyone tried Eyes Lips Face? Everything there is $1.00.

SBD Sass
10-17-2008, 02:38 PM
Has anyone tried Eyes Lips Face? Everything there is $1.00.

I have one of their lip glosses and I tried the eye shadow but it doesn't last. I ended up giving my ELF stuff to my daughter to play in. I love the price though!

Kati
10-17-2008, 03:10 PM
YOu cannot beat Marykay for eyelinner. That stuff ROCKS!!!!! You can splash acid on your face and your nose will drip off but that eyeliner stays there. LMAO

oneupsteph
10-17-2008, 10:02 PM
YOu cannot beat Marykay for eyelinner. That stuff ROCKS!!!!! You can splash acid on your face and your nose will drip off but that eyeliner stays there. LMAO

:lol: Ow! Really? Maybe I'll check that out... ;)

PearFreak
10-18-2008, 10:35 AM
OK I'm about to put in my monthly order with Sephora and I'm trying to figure out which primer I should go with. I need help! Which one???

Smashbox 1oz.
http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml%3B$sessionid$Z4LYIAFQALAKQCV0KRRQQAQ ;jsessionid=Z4LYIAFQALAKQCV0KRRQQAQ?id=P191603&categoryId=A47

or

BE 1oz.
http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml%3B$sessionid$Z4LYIAFQALAKQCV0KRRQQAQ ;jsessionid=Z4LYIAFQALAKQCV0KRRQQAQ?id=P182405&categoryId=A47

I like the Bare Escentuals better, myself. It is lighterweight and breathable. JMHO.

LBH
10-18-2008, 11:10 AM
I wear makeup everyday, but I'm not obsessed with it. Right now I'm using Neutragena foundation, Covergirl loose powder, Jane blush, Mabelliene mascara, and this Lorac lipstick that I've had since i got married...it's almost gone, have to order more.

SBD Sass
10-18-2008, 01:13 PM
I like the Bare Escentuals better, myself. It is lighterweight and breathable. JMHO.

I'll take your opinion! Done! Thanks!

momof2girls1boy
10-19-2008, 12:05 AM
I have used Bare minerals in the past but now I use Sheer cover because i get a discount for working with a company who takes calls for them.

oneupsteph
10-19-2008, 02:31 PM
I have used Bare minerals in the past but now I use Sheer cover because i get a discount for working with a company who takes calls for them.

I've heard Sheer Cover is just as good as Bare Minerals but half the price. Do you agree?

PearFreak
10-20-2008, 11:13 AM
I'll take your opinion! Done! Thanks!

Let me know how things work out for you. :)

momof2girls1boy
10-22-2008, 02:19 AM
I've heard Sheer Cover is just as good as Bare Minerals but half the price. Do you agree?

Seems to be the same to me

SBD Sass
10-22-2008, 10:45 AM

I'll buy one of their foundations and take a crack at it. I'll report my findings.

I just got a free, small blemish therapy (Bare Escentuals) with my order from Sephora. I have some minor blemishes on my face that came from mosquito bites this summer working out in Granny's garden so I'm hoping this will help. I'm glad this was free because I really didn't want to pay for a big one ($35) and it not work. I'll also report back on that.

bigsexy
10-22-2008, 11:36 AM
I'll buy one of their foundations and take a crack at it. I'll report my findings.

I just got a free, small blemish therapy (Bare Escentuals) with my order from Sephora. I have some minor blemishes on my face that came from mosquito bites this summer working out in Granny's garden so I'm hoping this will help. I'm glad this was free because I really didn't want to pay for a big one ($35) and it not work. I'll also report back on that.

I know I keep going back to Clinique but 9 times out of 10 it works so I feel confident suggesting it. They have something called the Post Blemish Formula. If you have scarring or dark spots from blemishes that are less than two years old, it will do really well in helping to smooth them out and correct the darkness. You have to use it twice a day or it won't work, and it only takes a little. Also it's only $13.50 so it's really worth the money. It takes about four weeks and you'll see a difference, but if you don't it's completely guaranteed! I suggest taking a before picture when you start using it and an after at the one month mark so you'll really be able to tell if there are any changes. It's kind of like losing weight: the small changes are hard to notice on a daily basis! Let me know if you try it and what you think. :write:

Kddid
10-25-2008, 09:52 AM
I generally wear Bare Escentuals, but am definately not brand loyal. For those that use the primer, I will say that I have bought it brand new and sealed on Ebay more than once for $5.00 including shipping. What can I say? I'm a bargain shopping. (No, it was not expired.) I am still searching for the perfect mascara. I am also looking for a good eyeliner. I love the BE paint on kind, but some days that requires more time than I have available for makeup application. I used to wear Avon's Glimmersticks, but it just doesn't hold up throughout the day. I have tried Almay's, but it stays put a little too well. I end up looking like a clown when I get out of the shower, and have to fight it off. I am sure makeup remover would get the job done, but my eyes are sensitive. Just my 2 cents.

oneupsteph
10-26-2008, 06:36 PM
I generally wear Bare Escentuals, but am definately not brand loyal. For those that use the primer, I will say that I have bought it brand new and sealed on Ebay more than once for $5.00 including shipping. What can I say? I'm a bargain shopping. (No, it was not expired.) I am still searching for the perfect mascara. I am also looking for a good eyeliner. I love the BE paint on kind, but some days that requires more time than I have available for makeup application. I used to wear Avon's Glimmersticks, but it just doesn't hold up throughout the day. I have tried Almay's, but it stays put a little too well. I end up looking like a clown when I get out of the shower, and have to fight it off. I am sure makeup remover would get the job done, but my eyes are sensitive. Just my 2 cents.

I like the new yellow tubed mascara from Maybelliene, and Makeup Forever makes amazing "Aqua Eyes Eyeliner". And I have sensitive everything too! Almay makes awesome sensitive eye makeup remover pads/towelettes. Their not sensitive stuff is like oil central. It's disgusting!

Kddid
10-27-2008, 06:23 AM
Thanks Stephi! I appreciate the advice. Wasting money by trial and error is never fun. I am all for getting recommendations. By the way, congrats on your halloween challenge success. It is very encouraging to see your tickers!

SBD Sass
11-04-2008, 01:58 PM
OK so I love BE's prime time primer. It's NOT oily and it makes my face look so smooth but not fake which is a very good thing. I also can't feel it in my hands and when I put it on my face...it's that light. I also love the eye shadow and blush minis - lightens up my face really well. I also got the BE lip gloss and I LOVE that too! I like BE's lip gloss better than Stila's which I have in the same color...I think it's that I don't like how the Stila glosses are packaged. Their brushes are weird (sorry I can't explain better).

I'm not feeling the Stila package for Sephora's 10 year Anni either. They could have put better products in it. I will try out of the cream blush though, it comes in a little round container with a mirror so that's cute. The mascara it comes with is OK...but I don't prefer curved brushes because I make a mess. Blah!

I also used my free sample of BE's Rareminerals Blemish therapy and it made my zit bubble up and scab...I don't like that! When zits scab up they leave blemishes. I'll try it on another zit in the future to test run it again, but for now I don't like it. The smell isn't too bad. It smells like Noxema, no big deal.

I also got a sample of Juicy Couture's fragrance called Juicy Couture and it's smells so good on me. I'm going to go buy a full bottle this weekend.

That's all for now!

brandy922
11-04-2008, 06:08 PM
I use Sheer Cover mineral make up and I love it. It doesn't have the heavy feeling that liquid foundation has. All of my other make up is Maybelline. I've been using that brand since I was 13.

Thighs Be Gone
11-04-2008, 06:13 PM
I use Merle Norman stuff. I have used Clinique, Estee Lauder and then went to Mary Kay respectively. Merle Norman is by far the best IMHO. The foundation I wear is called Luxiva and it's a tinted sunscreen--not thick at all. The Luxiva loose powder goes on top flawlessly and couldn't be happier. The skin care products are very concentrated and top-notch. My skin has never looked better.

fmb101
11-08-2008, 10:50 AM

I used to sell MaryKay back when I was 20 and just getting into makeup. Since I sold it, that's what I used. I also had a large supply when I quit so I continued to use what I had until it was gone.

NOW, I've been trying to find one that I like and I have to say that NOTHING has compared to the MK eyeliners. For me anyway, the color goes on nice and smooth, it doesn't rub off or run and lasts a long time.

I'm thinking I need to put in an order and replenish my supply!:lol: