Exercise! - Think I hurt myself -- anyone know about this?

shannonmb
10-10-2008, 11:38 AM
I'm pretty new to exercise, been working out with a trainer since August. It's going great, and I've never felt better in my life!!!!!

I have a question, though. A couple weeks ago I tripped on the treadmill and and in trying to catch myself, I got a searing pain in my upper abdomen. It hasn't really bothered me in general, but every time I do any ab exercises, It hurts bad right in that same spot. I'm not talking about "oh, my abs are burning", more like, "I think I'm hurting myself". :yikes: Is it possible I tore a muscle? And if so, what do I do about it??????

Thanks for any advice. Like I said, I'm new to this stuff!!!:dizzy:

partypantalones
10-10-2008, 01:14 PM
oow! sounds nasty :/ im no expert by any stretch, but it does sound like you pulled a muscle or sumpin up there.

id definitely lay off the ab exercises for a while and let your body recover. keep moving your body in other ways and focus on arms or back or yoga for a while??

i dont think theres much else you can do about that sort of injury, but your trainer will probably have a lot of insight too.

feel better! :hug:

nelie
10-10-2008, 01:26 PM
It is possible to 'pull' a muscle which sounds like you may have done. It may take a couple weeks to heal.

lunabella
10-10-2008, 01:32 PM
I agree, you probably pulled it. You'd be in a lot more pain with all movement if you tore it. Rest your abs for a couple weeks and put a heating pad on it occasionally to help the blood flow to it to help the healing process.

If you ever do any exercise and you feel the "I might be hurting myself" feeling, stop immediately. That's your body's way of telling you something is not right. Just listen to your body, and as you've already shown you will know when it's just normal burning and actual pain.

It's better to stop and let yourself heal and then be able to do the workout in a week or two rather than keep pushing through the pain and hurt yourself so badly you can't do the workout for a couple months!

I hope you feel better!

shannonmb
10-10-2008, 05:24 PM
I really appreciate the advice! It makes perfect sense, so now I have a plan... :)

I'm going to lay off the crunches, etc for 2 weeks, then re-evaluate. I guess I've never really listened to my body about ANYTHING before (hunger, etc!), which is probably why I'm where I am today. Time to start listening!

Thanks again, I mean it! :hug: