General chatter - Are you single or married?

View Full Version : Are you single or married?

BellaLucia
10-08-2008, 01:06 PM
1. Do you ever want to marry?
2. Do you miss the single life?
3. What's the best part about being single? married?

zeffryn
10-08-2008, 01:17 PM
I'm married.

No, I don't miss the single life. I have a lot of married friends that do, though.

The best part about being married? Oh man....just one? Probably the constant support system that I have through my husband. There is nothing that I can't tell him and that feeling is wonderful. I don't have to feel self conscious about anything - my butt jiggles a little...ok, a lot...and in past relationships I was VERY insecure about it. Now, I embrace it because my husband has taught me to love myself. He supports me in my weight loss, not because he doesn't think I'm sexy now but because he wants me to be 100% happy and he knows that I would be happier if I was healthier. He took the time to read the South Beach Diet book so he could understand what I was going through and know the ins and outs of what I could and couldn't have....this could go on for days...

Ah...I love him.

LandonsBaby
10-08-2008, 01:28 PM

I am married
I don't miss it at all, not even a little
I love pretty much every aspect of being married.

Lori Bell
10-08-2008, 01:32 PM
I'm married, for 20 years.

Would hate to go back to the single life, and the best thing about being married is my husband is rich and I don't have to work...LOL (kidding) ;)

BoopRN
10-08-2008, 01:33 PM
I am engaged, to be married in May 2009
I don't miss being single at all
I love that I am with the love of my life every day

GONNABE165
10-08-2008, 01:35 PM
I am married
I don't miss the single life
The best part is I am with my best friend for the rest of my life. There is nothing I can't say or do with him. I have my own personal cheerleader, counseler and rock when needed. We are one and when I hurt he does to (vice versa) We live every day as our last and I think thats why we have such a strong marriage - I would never trade that!!!!

ladybugnessa
10-08-2008, 01:52 PM
married. (again)
yeah i miss being single and being able to come and go as I please when I please
best part of being married? ya know I can't really say... but i know i love him and he loves me.

raw23
10-08-2008, 01:54 PM

Dating, 2 1/2 years... waiting on the ring :D

I dont consider myself singe, and I dont miss it. My guy is just great. He's my best friend. I tell him everything... I've never gotten along with someone so well or been more comfortable with anyone else in my life. I've been more vulnerable with him than anyone, ever. He challenges me in every way possible. I'm never bored. He doesn't sufficate me, I have my own independance. Everything is relaxed, no games. If we have an issue we talk it out immediately. I could go on and on. I'm just happy...

I seem to have all the good things about being single (freedom, independance) and all the good things about being in a relationship (companionship, love) right now.

kuhljeanie
10-08-2008, 01:56 PM
just celebrated our 1st anniversary, and it's wonderful. i wouldn't trade being married with DH for anything. there are few minor things that i miss about being single, though. i'd be lying if i said there weren't. little things like having total control over home decor, and fewer family obligations with in-laws (he comes from a huge irish family that has constant occasions - we're obligated to attend, and i don't really know most of the extended family). that's nothing though compared to how content i am to come home to a true mensch every night!

RangerChic
10-08-2008, 02:04 PM
I am single and want to get married. Having not met anyone in the last couple years, hasn't helped either. I so need to get out more!

PhotoChick
10-08-2008, 02:17 PM
Separated, but still sharing a house.

Can't answer this one simply: I don't miss the stereotypical single life, but I am enjoying some of the benefits of being "single". There are things I like(d) about being married and things I like about being single.

Best part about being single: Having the freedom to do what you want when you want and not have to take another person into consideration.
Best part about being married: Having someone there who you know is there for you first - to be your companion, your support, your touchstone. And to be able to be that for them as well.

grneyedmustang
10-08-2008, 02:22 PM
1) I am single
2) I am living the single life; sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it. Especially when friends have "couples" get togethers and I'm excluded because I'm single. And even if I am invited, a lot of times I don't go because I don't want to be the fifth wheel.
3) Best parts about being single: Being able to come and go as I please; not having to share the bed; being able to keep the temperature in the house the way I want it; being able to leave the house in any condition I want to, and only being accountable to myself; being able to watch what I want on TV when I want it; and being able to eat/drink the last bits of food/drink when I WANT it. I miss having a man though.

nelie
1. I'm married
2. Yes. Now don't get me wrong, I love my husband and there is no one in this world that I would rather be married to. I also love our life together. I loved being single though and I wouldn't say I miss it so much as I would say that if I was single again, I know I could be happy. Not to say that I want to be single.
3. Best part of being married - Someone to do stuff with and someone to share stuff with. My husband is my best friend and we have a lot of fun together. Best part of being single - Independance without being accountable to anybody.

LisaMarie71
I've been married for 15 years (since I was 21) and we just had our first child (2 months ago). I love being married. To be fair, I really didn't have much of a single life since I got married so young, so I can't say if I even know if it's worth missing! I think I lucked out with the person I ended up with, though -- I really can't imagine a better husband.

In that movie Shall We Dance? from a few years ago, Susan Sarandon's character had a great line about marriage. I looked it up so I could put the whole thing here: ""We need a witness to our lives. There's a billion people on the planet ... I mean, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything. The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things ... all of it, all of the time, every day. You're saying 'Your life will not go unnoticed because I will notice it. Your life will not go un-witnessed because I will be your witness'."

I don't think we really NEED a witness -- people can be quite happy without getting married, obviously. I just think it's nice to share my life with someone, and I feel thankful that I found someone worth sharing it with.

KateRN
10-08-2008, 02:29 PM
i am not married but have been in a live in relationship for 1 year, so i dont think i qualify as single.

i do want to get married, have kids, get a house with a yard and do that whole aspect of life.

i do miss being single from time to time for the convenience. i was able to pick up and go where-ever. i could come home late, i could do nothing, my house was always clean... but i dont miss sleeping alone, the horrors of dating new people, the stress of whether or not the new date is serious or able to look beyond my chub, being the odd girl out.. i dont miss that at all. and i think the fear of being single again is one of the few things that has held our relationship together sometimes!!! haha

PhotoChick
10-08-2008, 02:30 PM
my house was always clean...

Oy! :rolleyes:

Don't get me started on the house cleaning thing! :) My husband went to visit his family for a week, last month. While he was gone my house stayed SPOTLESS. Now that he's back ... it's a losing battle.

It has to be a guy thing. It just has to.

ladybugnessa
10-08-2008, 02:32 PM
i agree. i gave up. it was clean when i lived alone. now it's a pigstye.

SBD Sass
10-08-2008, 02:42 PM
Not married anymore.
I'm single, but I do have a boyfriend. I'd marry again when the time is right.
And I can't answer #3...I can't say what's the best thing about being married. Sad.

Dazzling
10-08-2008, 03:43 PM
I m happily SINGLE for a year and lately I've been missing having someone in my life. It's great being in a relationship if you are with the right person. I have been into some great relationships in the past where I had all the freedom I wanted and at the same time having that special person to love and care for each other.
I m already letting some people into my life slowly but surely :)
I would love to get married and spend the rest of my life with him, but only GOD knows when and where that would happen !

zeffryn
10-08-2008, 03:53 PM
I totally agree on the house being clean....I don't understand it. He can just SIT there and not move, yet still everything gets all rumpled and out of place.

Bane of my existence, right there.

TJFitnessDiva
10-08-2008, 03:54 PM
I'm married :)

No...We've been together since our sophomore year in high school (about 15 years) lol Sometimes I miss being very spontaneous though!

The best part of being married to me is having my husband in my life.

Smiling_Sara
10-08-2008, 06:18 PM

single. :(

1. yes, but unsure if it will ever happen
2. single life stinks.
3. to me, there is no best part. it's lonely.

mandalinn82
10-08-2008, 06:29 PM
I'm married, and am glad to be so!

1. Yes, absolutely.
2. Not even a little bit.
3. Best part of being married - having someone you can go to with anything, and a real partner in all things. Not all marriages have that, but I'm fortunate that mine does. I can't imagine living my life without that.

mandalinn82
10-08-2008, 06:30 PM
And I'd like to point out it isn't a guy thing. I deal with it too! I swear, Sarah can just sit on the couch and mess springs up around her!

GatorgalstuckinGA
10-08-2008, 06:38 PM
married,
Don't miss being single...but i have a husband that loves me to do the things i do.
Love having the constant support my husband gives me. He keeps me calm when i'm going nuts...he hugs me when i have a bad day. I wouldn't give it up for anything.
As for the mess..i think i'm opposite. My dh is a neat freak and i'm the messy one LOL

kaplods
10-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Married, for nearly 6 years now (still feel newlywed, for the most part.)

There are some things I miss about being single, mostly the just doing what you want, when you want it, and not having to deal with another person if you didn't want to I hated even having roommates, even my sister who was about the best roommate a person can have, very quiet and very clean (she even picked up after me - I'm not saying that I was a good room mate).

Sleeping alone, oh gosh I miss sleeping alone (hubby snores, and so does the cat). When we lived in Illinois, we had to have separate bedrooms. That wasn't really fun either, though. But we didn't have much of a choice. I had to be on a CPap for the sleep apnea (which has disappeared with the first 40 lb loss), and my sinuses were so bad that I had to sleep on an incline, a steep incline. Hubby used two car jacks to jack up the head of the bed about a foot offf the ground. We had to strap the mattress to the frame so it wouldn't slide off the bed (a little bit steeper, and we would have had to strap me in at night). Between the incline and the noise of the CPap hubby couldn't sleep in the same bed. It sounds extremely unromantic, but we just used his room for romance and our own beds/bedrooms for sleeping.

I'm definitely a cover hog. I was telling hubby that we needed a new electric blanket for the bed for winter (with our joint and pain issues, an electric blanket is the only thing making winters bearable), and suggested getting a king blanket with dual controls- he said no way, he wanted two twins, because if we had only one, I'd end up with it, and he'd have none.

The best part of marriage is really the worst part of marriage, always having someone hanging around. Hubby and I are both on disability, and our apartment is very, very tiny, so cozy togetherness can quickly turn to irritating cabin fever. I tease hubby on his boys' night out with friends "Hurry up and go away, so I can miss you."

me4life
10-08-2008, 06:50 PM
i'm in between i guess you can say...recently seperated so can't say how i enjoy the single life or even if i want to find out

kaplods
10-08-2008, 06:55 PM
Funny about the neatness thing. I'm not neat by any definition unless you compare me to my hubby. With a slightly messy person and a REALLY messy person living together, our house can go from neat to condemned in a few days. I've been sick for two weeks with some nasty virus on top of a flare of fibro, and geez the house looks like a herd of elephants were partying in the house the whole time. I think hubby dirtied every dish in the house (the only clean dishes were in the dishwasher).

It's definitely not just a girl/girl or girl/guy thing either, because my best friend is a gay man and he has the same complaints about his guy (when we get together as a pair of couples, my friend and I are in the kitchen complaining about the barbarians we are with, and the barbarians are off showing off/discussing their latest car or home repair project and complaining about how prissy we are).

kelly315
10-08-2008, 07:47 PM
1. Engaged (a long engagement, while I'm in school)
2. Me? Miss the single life? Nah.
3. Favorite part... always having someone to hang out in sweatpants and watch a movie with.

CyndiM
10-08-2008, 09:43 PM
And I'd like to point out it isn't a guy thing. I deal with it too! I swear, Sarah can just sit on the couch and mess springs up around her!

I feel your pain ;) When I come home at night I can tell what rooms Julie spent the most time in and what she did there. Still worth it though - I did single and it was fun, but this is better.

murphmitch
10-08-2008, 09:57 PM
1) Married 26 years.

2) Don't miss single life except the poster above who mentioned sleeping alone. My husband has restless legs at night and frequently disturbs my sleep. We keep thinking down the road we may go the twin bed route, but I really don't want to.

3) The best part about being married is having a best friend nearby all the time. We both get and give support to each other and our love seems to deepen the older we get. I have a husband who can cook as well as clean (His momma raised him right). He was single quite a while before we married, so he was pretty self sufficient. He actually does the dishes and makes the bed more than I do. Now that our kids are older we are really enjoying more couple time and loving it!

oneupsteph
10-08-2008, 10:24 PM
1. Maybe some day.
2. I'm livin' it, baby! :p
3. I guess it's the fact I never have to commit to anything. (I'm a commitment fearing girl!)

DRose
10-08-2008, 10:52 PM
1. I've been with my boyfriend for over a year now, we talk about when we'd like to get married all the time (still 5 years off though)
2. I really don't consider myself single so no I don't miss the single life
3. I guess having someone I can talk to about ANYTHING I mean really anything and how much fun we have together

luvja
10-08-2008, 11:28 PM
I'm single. left the love of my life in Jamaica when I moved back home in May.
I don't really like being single...
the only good thing about being single is being able to come and go as you please, and do whatever you want.

FreeSpirit
10-08-2008, 11:38 PM
1. I am married
2. No
3. That I get to spend the rest of my life with my best friend.

FB
10-09-2008, 12:05 AM
Married here.
I don't miss being single. I sometimes am nostalgic over old times - but never mistake that for missing the single life.
Favorite part? He's the eye of my hurricane. Really, he's so great to be around, supportive, secure, safe, calm. The best guy in my world. I'm more of a maniac myself.

chubbiebunny
10-09-2008, 12:22 AM

I'm twice divorced (each marriage only lasting 4 yrs), but would love to marry again.

I'm ok with being single, but I miss having someone in my life fulltime.

Best part about being single... spending my money however I want without having to inform someone else. =)

ducky0224
10-09-2008, 12:23 AM
I'm married, don't miss being single at all, I hate being by myself. I mean, a couple of hours during the day to get things done is nice, but I hate spending more than that alone. I love the fact that I have someone who appreciates what I do for him and loves me for what and who I am instead of trying to change me. I love the fact that whatever I am doing, he is supportive and encouraging, and helps whenever he can. We got married 7 years ago, and have a 6 year old son, so there have definatly been some hard times, but they say if you can get through the first five years, you can get through anything. I believe it.

pixiefalls
10-09-2008, 03:48 AM
1. Engaged.
2. Nope.
3. So many things! There's always someone special there for me when I need the support and his love is what I need. I feel secure and overall just wonderful that we are together. We've been living together for almost 2 years now and I wouldn't change a thing.

Chele615
10-09-2008, 06:32 AM
1. I am single....and feel like I'm going to be single forever. I really would love to get married though.
2. I've pretty much been single my entire life, so I don't really know any different.
3. I love being able to get up and go and not have to worry about anyone else but myself. However, I wouldn't mind having a boyfriend to go out with and do things with.

ViolinJenn
10-09-2008, 07:24 AM

I am single, no kids. I do want to get married, but it has to right. I refuse to settle because in the end that's not healthy. I'll know when I find him.

The best part of being single is my freedom to what I want or nothing at all. Right now, I'm SO glad I'm single. I returned to college this Fall and being that it's been 13 years since I finished Community College it's a rough transition. Being single right now allows me to focus on myself and getting down this new routine. But should I meet someone along the way that I click with, I'd definately so where it goes.

aphil
10-09-2008, 08:23 AM
I am married. I have been with my husband for 11 years, and in a few days (October 23) we will be celebrating our 9th wedding anniversary.
Absolutely not. I don't miss the drama, the heartbreaks, or the lack of companionship...not to mention I have a wonderful home, and three gorgeous children. I think that if you are married, and are missing the single life...then maybe the marriage has some issues that need to be worked on.
The only part that I thought was great about being single was doing whatever I wanted. But, I don't miss it. If you marry the RIGHT partner, then all of it is wonderful. My husband is my best friend in the entire world. He is funny, sarcastic (as am I) and we can sit and laugh about everything, all of the time. I actually call him on the cell phone sometimes, and he does me as well, just to say something funny. I'll call him and say "I am at the store right now...and I am staring at someone's visible buttcrack." :lol: We just laugh all of the time. When a grandma takes the kids, we go out on the Harley and ride around all day. He is supportive of my interests, and I am supportive of his. We are partners in everything, yet we also have separate interests and activities-which keeps things interesting. Because of this, we have something to talk about when we sit down together. He is a great father, and a big kid, like I am. We joke that we had kids, so that we would have an excuse to play with toys, and decorate like crazy for the holidays...and it be "okay". :lol: We just have a great life together. He spoils me, and I spoil him. I couldn't have dreamed of marrying a better husband.

queenofthehouse
10-09-2008, 09:09 AM
Married, for 11-1/2 years

DO NOT miss the single life

Best thing to me about being married is just knowing we love each other through thick and thin and we are never alone.

Darby1
10-09-2008, 10:58 AM
I've been married for 12 years. Funny thing is that I never planned to get married, EVER. But life had different plans for me.

The only thing I miss about being single (besides sleeping alone-he's a loud sleeper) is how I was more spontaneous. But I wonder if I would have changed anyway as I got older.

The best thing about being married is that I always have the support of my best friend. He is a wonderful husband and I'm so glad life worked out the way it did.

belinda245
10-09-2008, 11:05 AM
I am engaged.. no wedding date set yet

I was never really into this whole marriage thing until I met my now fiance.. I can't wait to make it official!

There are times that I miss being single.. only because I love to shop and sometimes have to lie about my spending.. hehe

The best part of my relationship is the constant support... and the unconditional love.

nelie
10-09-2008, 12:05 PM
I never thought I was going to get married either until I started dating my husband.

Its funny, I had dated a few guys before him but only one really serious relationship before him. With that guy, it was a long distance relationship, we dated for nearly a year and I wasn't really interested in changing anything. I liked the freedom by myself but I liked being with him. I didn't think about marriage with him.

With my husband, we also started as long distance and it killed me to be apart from him. Within 3 months of dating we were living together. We had been friends for years so we knew eachother decently before dating. I did freak out a bit about the moving in part (and he is so patient to deal with me freaking out because we were going to be living together). I knew at the point where I moved in with him that I would probably marry him. He knew the same.

I'm a bit of a loner though and I like being alone. He is also a bit of a loner as well. It does work out well.

Shopaholic1204
10-09-2008, 12:11 PM
I'm married, and I love it!!! I love feeling loved, safe, happy, content. I cannot wait to start a family with my hubby. I also love it when he comes home from deployment, and everything seems so new but yet familiar again. He's my rock, and if it wasnt for him, I wouldnt be alive today.

owlmonkey
10-09-2008, 12:26 PM

Not Married-shacking up
Want to be-yes (he does keep asking about my ring size, and more often since I've started losing weight in the "your ring size is still 5 & 3/4 right?" sense)
Miss the single life-not really, but sometimes I miss living alone, I am a neat freak, he isn't, so on occasion I say, "Oh you must be confusing me with the maid we don't have"
Best part(s)-I feel safe and secure. My apartment was burlarized twice in one year when I lived alone & it made me feel unsafe.
I feel supported
I have someone in my life who, to put it crudely, really does think I blow sunshine when I pass gas. (sorry it was a great line in Juno and I haven't done it justice here.)

KLK
10-09-2008, 01:28 PM
1. Yes, and I'm getting married this Sunday! :D

2. Sometimes. I miss the independence of single life -- I sometimes miss being free to ONLY worry about myself and what I want and need. I also sometimes miss the privacy I had when I was single. But that's the only thing I miss about it.

3. The best part of being single is the freedom to worry only about yourself, what you want and need, and make decisions with only your own interests in mind. The other great thing is being able to order your life the way you, and only you, want.

The best part of being married, though, is having someone in your life whose love is meant just for you. :)

Shopaholic1204
10-09-2008, 01:31 PM
CONGRATS on getting married!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

littleblacklies
10-09-2008, 01:53 PM
Married!!! Although I never wanted to be married and was apprehensive about it even after we signed our lives away to each other (*giggle*)

My single life was actually very nearly the same as it is now. For starters, my husband was my best friend. I still do whatever I want to, and go wherever I want to, with whomever I want to. I'm just lucky that my husband likes a lot of the same things and most of the same people.

The best part of being single was probably not knowing what life had in store. Being married gave me some limits. Safety and assurance came with that, but still.

The best part of being married... My family stops ASKING WHEN WE'RE GOING TO GET MARRIED! Kidding. But really, that was so embarrassing and they were relentless. Knowing that he loves me enough to say "forever" in front of anyone and everyone, even that hot little waitress or all his single buds. Awesome :D

KLK, congrats to you (:

KLK
10-09-2008, 02:23 PM
Thanks! :D My diet/exercise routine has been SOOO put on the back burner bc of the wedding, but I plan to get back on track ASAP once the wedding is behind us.

biosci02
10-09-2008, 06:01 PM
I'm single and I'm not sure if I want to get married. I don't really thing about it that much; if it happens, it happens....

Joslynn
10-09-2008, 08:02 PM
I am neither single or married, but I do live with the loves of my life. My son Simon and my Andy.

Jassica
10-10-2008, 12:02 AM
I am in a relationship for over a year, I dont plan on getting married anytime soon, the thought may seem nice, but im not ready for that definitely not . But i love him :)
I do miss the single life sometimes, just doing my own thing stuff like that, but hes worth it.

nicoledg
10-10-2008, 11:19 AM
1. I'm getting married!
2. No, sometimes I look back and think about all the fun I had, but now I'm just so excited for the next step and for making fun memories with my soon to be hubby!
3. The best part of being with someone, someone always has your back :)

EZMONEY
10-10-2008, 12:25 PM
MARRIED :hug:

DON'T MISS BEING SINGLE :no:

BEST PART OF BEING MARRIED? :chin: Hummmm... SO MANY GOOD ONES....I guess it's knowing who is in :drill: CHARGE :drill:.....I told Angie she :nono: couldn't get a dog!.....she went out and got 2! ;)

Robin41
10-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Very married.

I have not missed being single even once my entire marriage. The thought of it makes me cringe.

The best thing about being married is how contented I feel. There's a real sense of peace that comes with a happy marriage that I wouldn't trade for anything. That doesn't mean boring; being secure makes it possible for me to be a lot more open with him, and be a lot more fun, than I ever was with anybody else.

junebug41
10-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Married for 48 days (woo hoo!). We have been together for 4 years, lived togethe for 3.5. Not an eternity, but so far so good ;)

I do not miss being single, however I'm thankful that I had the experience of living by myself for a few years. I actually do not mind the pleasure of my own company, but I love being coupled up, especially with this guy :) Also, I never in my wildest dreams imagined finding someone who is my true counterpart, who is my safe place. I know that sounds very hokey, but it's the truth. I have to echo Robin41's statement about peace and contentment.

zenor77
10-10-2008, 01:28 PM

1. Married for 3 1/2 years

2. NO WAY!!! I have a great husband who shares many of my interests and who doesn't mind if I want to go out with the girls (I don't mind if he goes out with the boys either.)

3. There are so many wonderful things about marriage... Too many to mention... I've got a wonderful guy!