General chatter - Halloween!

View Full Version : Halloween!

Smiling_Sara
10-08-2008, 08:46 AM
So, Halloween is coming up. My sister and BIL are throwing a party, any cool ideas as to what I can go as? What is everyone here doing for Halloween?

belinda245
10-08-2008, 08:58 AM
we are going to a halloween party as well..
I am going to go dressed as an old cuban lady.. basically..a moomoo with panty hose, flip flops, rollers in the hair with a hair net.. a pillow on the tush.. and excessive makeup.. haha. I did this a few years ago and everyone really got a good laugh out of it. :D

GONNABE165
10-08-2008, 09:09 AM
goin to a party as well

I'm going as a Go Go Dancer

futuresize6
10-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Every year my husband and I do a team theme at our friends' huge party-
2005-Dog and Beth chapman(Dog the Bounty hunter)
2006-Britney and Kfed(10 days prior to their breakup-thank god)
2007-hubbby was a nun-I was sick as a dog that night
2008-we're thinking pimp/prostitute-me as the male pimp, him as the female prostitute-not 100% yet
Any ideas for a duo out there? Should be a little scandelous.:p

zeffryn
10-08-2008, 09:42 AM
I'm completely out of ideas. DH and I have been racking our brains trying to come up with something funny and original.

The catch this year is that I'll be hugely pregnant. DH suggested body painting....but a snowball has a better chance of surviving in **** than he does of getting me to go out of the house without a top and just a painted torso.

It seems like everybody and their mom takes it upon themselves to dress like a ... ahem...slut on Halloween.

Last year, DH and I went as Michael Vick and one of his dogs...it would have been great had there not been a manufactured costume of the same thing. :( We put a ton of effort into that.

The year before I was a maxi-pad with wings.

Here are some pictures:

http://b9.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01369/96/38/1369518369_l.jpg
Ignore the mess....this was an idea that was thought up the night before Halloween....we had a LOT of work to do.

http://a645.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/111/l_a8f430207b852abf9aac618f09ed9324.jpg
I should note that DH's skin was stained for almost a week...he had a fun time at work ;)

zeffryn
10-08-2008, 09:46 AM
My husband also mentioned that we could go as Gov. Palin's pregnant daughter and boyfriend....

I'm not sure how many people would "get it" though.

futuresize6
10-08-2008, 09:52 AM
I think dressing a little scandelous is Ok for halloween, it's out of character for most people and a chance to be a little racy for 1 night-BTW have you seen the enormous selection of "slut/any occupation" costumes in the halloween stores? Now that's somewhere to direct any anger with racy costumes.:o

zeffryn
10-08-2008, 09:57 AM
It seems like the only costumes available for women in stores are "slutty [insert occupation here]" costumes.

I was really surprised last year at the number of YOUNG tween and teenage girls dressed in the slutty occupation costumes......and also the number of mothers accompanying them dressed the same way.

futuresize6
10-08-2008, 10:05 AM
My nine year old daughter wants to be dead cheerleader so we purchased a costume that was size appropriate for her(she's tiny @ 9yr) and the skirt was so "open" and inappropriate for a kid-for an adult as well. We are taking it back, she agreed as well. Plus made cheaply, poor quality fabric for the money that they charge. Goodwill has some finds if a person is creative with the same cost!

zeffryn
10-08-2008, 10:20 AM
definitely. The goodwill and other places like that have been lifesavers. It's amazing what you can find...especially with a few weeks notice :)

Also, you could try putting a listing on your local freecycle and craigslist to see if anybody has any old cheerleading outfits....you may get lucky and get a real one from a local school.

futuresize6
10-08-2008, 10:26 AM
Thanks-
We did luck out and borrow one from an older neighbor girl down the street-FOC!!! Now I have to do "cheerleader" hair-whatever that is, I was NEVER a cheerleader.

zeffryn
10-08-2008, 10:28 AM
think...BIG.

belinda245
10-08-2008, 11:20 AM
i love the dead cheerleader idea.. my 2 girls want to dress up like the raven triwns from busch gardens.. so I am on the hunt for matching outfits.. and eye makeup for them..

zeffryn.. that michael vick idead was great

my pregnant coworker is dressing up like a pregnant nun.. and her husband as the priest.

alinnell
10-08-2008, 12:04 PM
I found a website with some really funny and inexpensive Halloween costume ideas. Here are some that I shared with my daughter:

nudist on strike--wear your normal clothes and wear a sign around your neck that says "Nudist on Strike"
Leaf blower--attached one (or several) leaves on strings to a hat and wear the hat. When anyone asks what you are, blow on the leaves and say "I'm a leaf blower."
In the shower--wrap a towel around your body (be a good idea to wear a tube top and shorts underneath!). Wrap a towel around your head, turban style or wear a shower cap. Carry a rubber duck and a back scrubber.
cat burgler--wear all black, including hat and mask or balaclava and carry a bag of stuffed cats (let their heads peek out)
kissing booth--find a box big enough to fit over your body and attached it with straps over your shoulders. Print on the box "kissing booth" and name your price.
Twister game~buy a twister game, attach ribbon to the spinner and tie it on your head like a hat. Cut a hole in the middle of the mat and wear it like a pancho and then invite people to spin

shantroy
10-08-2008, 12:52 PM
I'm not doing anything halloweeny this year. I was going to dress up for work, but I have to give a presentation to the excutive team of one of the airlines here and I don't think they would appreciate it if I showed up in costume.

Instead of celebrating halloween my bf and I are heading up to the mountains for the weekend, to celebrate our bdays. We're going to a couple of screnings at the Banff mountain film fest and I've booked a dog sledding tour followed by a couples massage. We're also going for a really nice dinner on the Saturday. It's not very halloweeny, but hopefully romantic.

zenor77
10-08-2008, 01:34 PM
We are throwing a pumpkin carving party (BYOP~bring your own pumpkin.) We've done this before and it's a blast. We just newspaper the living room and everyone has at it. This year should be even more fun since there will be a couple of 4-5 year old girls attending. I'm going to make some fun food for the party too. Any ideas? I'm going to make teriyaki wings (baked) and call them "bat wings" and I was thinking of making some kid friendly sandwiches and using Halloween cookie cutters to cut them out of the crusts.

I'm not sure if I'll dress up this year. I love to dress up, but we don't have a party to go to at this point and I'm not sure if I'll have a job at that point (I'm waiting to hear back from one~:crossed:.) Someday I want Dh and I to go to a party as Ms. Piggy and Kermit/Puppeteer. DH hates dressing up, but he has agreed to dressing in black and carrying a Kermit puppet. I just want an excuse to go buy a really sparkly dress and a feather boa. :D A few years ago we went to an 80's themed part as Mr. and Ms. Pacman. I made the Pacman faces out of science fair boards and we wore them around our necks. They were huge and hard to walk in, but very fun. I'm posting a picture of before we put them on.

alinnell~ Those ideas remind me of a costume that was really popular a few years ago. Cereal Killer! You just wear a cereal box around your neck with a knife in it. :lol:

zeffryn~ How comfy are you showing off the belly? I'm going to run with the Catholic theme and say DH should be a priest and you could be a pregnant Catholic school girl. I hope that doesn't offend anyone! Oooh, or you could dress in normal clothes and paint just your belly. Your hubby could go as Al Gore and you could be Earth. :lol: Sorry, couldn't help myself! If you like the idea you could paint the earth on a t-shirt too (if you don't want to paint the belly.)

shantroy
10-08-2008, 02:39 PM
zenor,

Here's a great recipe for baked honey garlic boneless wings (they actually use chicken thighs) I've made them once or twice and are pretty good. If you roll them up properly, they actually look like wings.

Lord of the Wings (http://www.foodtv.ca/recipes/recipedetails.aspx?dishid=8413)
Yield: 32

Boneless honey-garlic “wings” with blue-cheese dip.

Per serving (7 boneless wings with 2 tbsp dip): 543 calories, 18.6 g total fat (5.2 g saturated fat), 57 g protein, 30 g carbohydrate, 0 g fibre, 258 mg cholesterol, 975 mg sodium

Ingredients:
Chicken "Wings" with Honey-Garlic Marinade
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
3 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tsp grated gingerroot
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
3 pounds (1.35 kg) boneless, skinless chicken thighs

Blue Cheese Dip
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise (not fat-free)
1/4 cup light sour cream
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
1/4 tsp salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Directions:
Chicken "Wings" with Honey-Garlic Marinade
Whisk together all marinade ingredients in a medium bowl. Set aside.
Cut each chicken thigh in half. Place chicken pieces in a large, heavy-duty, resealable plastic bag. Add 1/2 the marinade to bag (reserve remaining marinade). Turn bag several times to coat chicken with marinade. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and fold or roll the chicken pieces into uniform oblong “wings.” Place wings on baking sheet close together (touching), as this will help them hold their shape. Bake for about 10 minutes, until partially cooked and still pink in the middle.
Meanwhile, preheat gas grill to medium-high heat. Brush grill rack lightly with oil or spray with cooking spray. Using tongs, transfer par-baked wings to grill and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes per side, basting often with reserved marinade. The more you baste, the better they taste! They should have some nice grill marks on them. Serve hot wings with cold blue cheese dip.

Blue Cheese Dip
Whirl together all dip ingredients in the bowl of a mini food processor until almost smooth. The dip shouldn’t be perfectly smooth like sour cream; it should have some texture, but no lumps. You can mash the blue cheese and mix the dip by hand, but it will be chunky. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Keeps in the fridge for about two days.

Here's a link to a ghostly pumpkin pudding recipe from the food network:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ghostly-pumpkin-pudding-recipe/index.html

There are some more cool halloween food ideas here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/halloween/package/index.html

Hat Trick
10-08-2008, 02:53 PM
For Halloween I usually just put a knife in my head and take it from there.

An old standby has always been a bee costume. Loooog ago and far away it was a 'killer bee' costume (for those thinking some whacked strain of africanized deadly bumblebuzz . . ah, no. John Belushi, Dan Ackroyd and the gang from the original SNL days).

Black pants, BIG yellow sweatshirt, electrical tape across the front and back of the sweatshirt for the stripes. Headband w/black pipecleaners for the antennea and yellow-painted styrofoam balls attached. The more beer you drink, the more the balls bobble around. :D

Made my oldest this costume when she was little and passed it down to each kid as they grew into it. A few years back, we dressed the dog in it. :lol:

mazza
10-08-2008, 11:37 PM
My friend is throwing her usual halloween party this year.

I think i'll go as a fried egg - white jeans and open white jacket and a bright orange tshirt.

GatorgalstuckinGA
10-09-2008, 07:40 AM
one year i went very cheep but fun costume. I took a cheep white tee shirt and used a sharpe to create classified ads. It was fun. I thought of the silliest classified ads and wrote them all over the shirt. So i was a section from the classified. Great and cost me only about $6.

zeffryn
10-09-2008, 09:19 AM
Zenor - I like the Earth and Al Gore idea. I'm not uncomfortable showing my belly...my boobs on the other hand are a totally different story. I think if we did any belly painting, I would have to cut a shirt to cover the girls. The chance of having someone spill a drink on my chest and the paint running is FAR too high :)

Slashnl
10-09-2008, 11:42 AM
My friend is throwing her usual halloween party this year.

I think i'll go as a fried egg - white jeans and open white jacket and a bright orange tshirt.

You could also go as a "deviled egg". Just add the devil horns, tail, and pitchfork to the costume you mention here!

Shopaholic1204
10-09-2008, 11:52 AM
My friend is having a party. I'm gonna be going as a vampire. I'm gonna have the fangs, fake blood, dark makeup. Its gonna look awesome My hubby still has no idea what he's gonna be yet.

Here's my costume:

zenor77
10-09-2008, 12:36 PM
Zenor - I like the Earth and Al Gore idea. I'm not uncomfortable showing my belly...my boobs on the other hand are a totally different story. I think if we did any belly painting, I would have to cut a shirt to cover the girls. The chance of having someone spill a drink on my chest and the paint running is FAR too high :)

Yeah, I'd never show off my girls either! I definitely meant you could paint the belly and wear a half shirt or something.

lunabella
10-09-2008, 01:35 PM
My usual standby is a cowgirl or a cop, but I've been wanting to be the pink power ranger for FOREVER so this year I'm going to buckle down and make it. . .I'm super excited!

peachcake
10-09-2008, 01:59 PM
Could someone explain the Michael Vick and dog costume to me? I can't see how anyone could find that funny or entertaining. That situation, in my opinion anyway, is NOT something to take lightly. It was horrifying and inhuman. All dog fighting is.

zeffryn
10-09-2008, 03:04 PM
So is dressing little girls like whores....

peachcake
10-09-2008, 04:25 PM
Well I agree, dressing little girls like whores should not be taken lightly either. I am just wondering if the Michael Vick thing was a spouf on him to make him look like an idiot or if it was meant to downgrade the seriousness of his actions. He beat, drown, hung and tortured countless dogs. Why anyone would intentionally portray him is no laughing matter.

If it was meant to call attention to horrible animal cruelty then I understand the costumes, if it was meant to be funny then I am appauled.

belinda245
10-09-2008, 04:32 PM
peachcake-- no offense but halloween is a time of the year where almost everything goes.. there are plenty of people that dress like pregnanct nuns and other such provacative costumes.. this is all they are is costumes. Its a time to have a sense of humor. I don't think anyone would even think that they would get dressed in those costumes to make fun of the situation. It is clearly a spoof. Dont take things so seriously.

sorry had to throw my 2 cents in.

LindseyLouWho
10-09-2008, 04:53 PM
I agree with Belinda. There's a very fine line between what people find funny and what they find offensive, and that's different for everyone. Technically speaking, is it acceptable for people to dress up as pimps and prostitutes? Prostitution isn't a "laughing matter", and yet people go in costumes like this every Halloween without batting an eyelash.

mazza
10-09-2008, 05:35 PM
You could also go as a "deviled egg". Just add the devil horns, tail, and pitchfork to the costume you mention here!

LOL!!! I love it!! Thanks for the great idea :D

peachcake
10-13-2008, 11:43 AM
Belinda - I appreciate the input, and I suppose that you're right. Animal abuse happens to be the one thing I am most passionately against. Probably the same as someone who is Catholic seeing a pregnant nun and thinking it repulsive. Never the less... it bothers me, but I guess that's my own issue and nobody else's.