Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-07-2008, 02:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 216/214/165 WI day Monday

Height: 5'9"

Default Will diet coke derail me??

So, I love diet coke and have been known to drink way too much. If I had only one per day would that still derail me? Do most people just decide to give it up entirely?
Thinnerinnerme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:58 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey! Why are you giving up the diet coke?

I drink diet colas, especially when eating out. Some people give it up completely, others don't. It's up to you, I think...

If I drink diet drinks at home, I usually dilute them 1/2 with plain soda water just because they seem too sweet to me. Also, I don't need much extra caffeine in my day!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

This is one of those "depends" things. I didn't give up Diet Coke. I don't drink as much of it as I used to, since I'm trying to cut out artificial sweeteners and processed foods, but I do like to have something cold and fizzy in the afternoon and I just like Diet Coke.

Some people find that it's no problem ad some people find they do better w/out it.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:02 PM   #4  
FB

I've drank much of it throughout my weight loss and have had no problems. I don't see how a Diet Coke could derail you - the only thing that can derail us is ourselves.

Practicing everything in moderation is always a good idea if you feel you go overboard. It doesn't matter whether it's cheesecake or a diet drink, the act of moderating oneself is probably one of the most important in making a healthy lifestyle.

Many people eschew diet drinks because of the chemicals, avoiding artificial sweeteners, possible health risks and whatnot. I personally derive much enjoyment from my cans of chemicals so I continue to drink it.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:03 PM   #5  

I would like to limit them to one a day. I like my diet coke but once I've had two it's three and so on. I was just wondering if even one was an appetite stimulate etc. It's good to hear that other, healthier individuals still have some diet coke. =0)
Old 10-07-2008, 03:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

I figure... I don't drink, I don't do drugs, I don't smoke, I eat healthy most of the time, I exercise... I need to have at least ONE vice, lol.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:04 PM   #7  

FB, too funny. It may be a can of chemicals but it's a good can of chemicals to me too. LOL
Old 10-07-2008, 03:08 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 225/219/150

Height: 5'7"

I was a regular pop drinker. Like...probably close to a liter of Pepsi a day. It's what helped me make it through my day at work, having that large fountain pop on my desk. Anyways...I quit that and have been drinking water only, except with dinner I have diet pop. Truthfully, I drink so much water througout the day tht by evening, drinking any more water makes me want to gag!
Mae8217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:12 PM   #9  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

I've read studies that show, in some people, artificial sweeteners can slow weight loss. If you don't have a sensitivity to it, and it doesn't slow your progress, I don't really see a reason not to drink it. Personally, I hate the stuff and it brings on migraines very quickly.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:14 PM   #10  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I'm actually one of the people that have increased food cravings when drinking diet soda. I am very addicted, but I stopped it because I know it's not good for me in terms of weight loss or with total health. I hope that helps.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:18 PM   #11  
In love with...THE GYM!!

S/C/G: 243/213/150

Height: 5'8"

I used to LIVE on diet pops. Then I cut caffiene. Then I cut all soda. I've noticed on the rare occasion I do have a pop, it tends to trigger cravings. I avoid it and we don't keep it in the house.
julie99s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:46 PM   #12  
Believe it, be it

S/C/G: 198/ticker/125

Height: 5'0"

It's best to give it up completely. The crap in soda is just that, crap. I'm almost off soda totally, just down to about 6oz or so in the AM (this is coke zero) with breakfast. I have found that I feel MUCH better drinking just water or things that have very little sugar in them.
RangerChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:54 PM   #13  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

This is definitely a "Your Mileage May Vary" issue.

Lots of our long-term maintainers have kept drinking diet sodas...they are evidence, IMO, that drinking diet soda is not a death knell for weight loss or health. Lots of others have dropped them. Some, like me, still drink them sometimes, but in a limited way (I have maybe 1-2 per week).

Your body will generally let you know if they are a bad idea for you (in the form of migraines, increased cravings, slowed weight loss). Many people here have removed them for a week or two, noticed no difference, and concluded they don't have any negative effects. Others have removed them, found a HUGE difference, and concluded that diet sodas make them feel worse, crave more, etc. You can't know which you are unless you give them up and give it a shot, which I recommend anyone concerned about diet sodas do.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:05 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 259/224/148

I do drink diet soda but I don't drink ones with caffine or at least not very often. Because of medical issues I cut caffine out of my diet, so when I buy diet now I get diet orange. I think like with any thing as long as it is in moderation you should be fine. I wouldn't think one or two diet cokes a day would hurt anything
Nichole28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:20 PM   #15  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I successfully lost 80 lbs (before my darling beautiful DD helped me pack them back on) while drinking at least 1 diet soda a day. If given the choice between binging out on a box of cookies or curbing my craving with a coke (which is how I use it ) I'd think the Coke is the better choice!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote