General chatter - Black Friday 2008

View Full Version : Black Friday 2008

zeffryn
10-06-2008, 09:20 AM
I found this article...thought it might be useful to some.

Here's some useful info for those who will be out in line at 2am for the day after Thanksgiving Day sale

Target

What's likely to be on sale: Target will continue to draw in customers with low prices on apparel, DVDs (including TV box sets) as well as toys and videogames. The chain will have a few deals on electronics, but the bulk of their low-priced items will be on low-cost items for holiday shopping.

Prediction: Look for Target to go low as it senses wallets tightening even more in its core demographic.

---------------------------------

Walmart

Status: Tough economic times are boom times for the discounter.

What's likely to be on sale: Everything. The retailer will be cutting prices early and often this season -- like announcing a $10 toy deal at the start of October -- to try to get the scoop on everyone and keep its #1 position. Expect laptops in the $299 range, popular video games for $10 and toys for practically nothing.

Prediction: Walmart will win in holiday sales, but extra-deep discounting will hurt the bottom line.

Kmart

What's likely to be on sale: Traditionally Kmart has used Black Friday to move kid's clothes and those prepackaged Christmas gifts you end up buying on the way to a gift exchange you forgot about, so expect extra discounts like last year's 10% off all apparel. If the past is any indicator, shoppers can expect to see great deals on board games -- buy one, get one -- and other toys. And cheap, cheap electronics.

Prediction: Kmart will likely draw in a crowd with a careful selection of low-priced loss leaders.

Toys R Us

What's likely to be on sale: Young kid's toys and video games will dominate the ads this fall. Also look for Toys R Us to be pushing lead-free and U.S.-made toys. There will definitely be rock bottom prices to aim for consumer's shrinking disposable income.

Prediction: Many BOGO and B2G1 sales will bring in shoppers with young children at home who still expect Santa to shower them with presents.

Best Buy

Status: Even when the economy is doing poor, consumers still want their gadgets

What's likely to be on sale: HDTVs, laptops, picture frames and GPS. Expect to see extra long lines at Best Buy this year as many first-time Black Friday shoppers looking for new TVs in response to the digital switchover. Dan de Grandpre from Dealnews.com predicts that shoppers will find very aggressive pricing on laptops and Blu-Ray players as well as Insignia and Westinghouse HDTVs.

Prediction: Lines stretched around the block will bring in record sales for the electronics giant.

Circuit City

Status: Under new leadership, Circuit City will be counting on Black Friday to bring in a profitable quarter.

What's likely to be on sale: Home theater, games and cameras. Like Best Buy, Circuit City will be looking to lure in customers who are upgrading to their first HDTV. Don't be surprised if Circuit City also offers crazy deals for a quality 7.1 surround sound home theater in a box system below $200! Dan de Grandpre from Dealnews.com expects similar laptops deals as well as "wicked" HD TV deals from Circuit City.

Prediction: Circuit City may do well this year by being a one-stop Black Friday shop

JC Penney

Status: Sales were plunging even before a weak back-to-school season

What's likely to be on sale: As in the recent past, JC Penney will be cutting prices on clothing for the entire family, but will be gunning especially for the teen audience -- at least as shopped for by moms and dads buying presents (while the teens themselves seem only to be heading to Aeropostale).

Prediction: Doorbusters, like the 88-cent items offered this fall, may do better than any new "fashion" lines that the store adds.

Kohl's

Status: Kohl's is down but not as down as some (like Penney's, which was down 38%)

What's likely to be on sale: Kohl's will be heavily discounting apparel but should also be counted on to provide a large selection of boxed gift items for family and friends. Many of Kohl's best deals will go quick so be sure to get there for the doorbusters. Also expect a celebrity-friendly marketing campaign that will try to lure in youngsters.

Prediction: Kohl's will be cutting prices on loss-leaders to fill up the store with excited customers in order to boost overall sales.

Sears

Status: Struggling the most (down 62% last quarter) and trying to stay out of bankruptcy.

What's likely to be on sale: Sears will offer alluring prices on clothing and their Craftsman line of tools to bring in shoppers early in the day. Expect in store sales to be complimented with several online only deals! And keep a watch out for competitive prices on big-ticket items and home electronics, which may end up besting Best Buy and Circuit City.

Prediction: With price guarantees and 0% financing Sears will be a busy store on Black Friday.

Old Navy

Status: Struggling even as consumers head for low-cost brands, down 9% at last check

What's likely to be on sale: Old Navy typically offers up fewer items than most Black Friday retailers but that the deals will still be plentiful on cold weather clothing. Online discounts may be the best bet, as the parent company just merged all of its brands onto one shopping site.

Prediction: Old Navy will draw crowds but it's not likely the deals will inspire long lines.

Amazon

Status: Riding high on digital sales and low prices Amazon is set up to offer great prices this Fall

What's likely to be on sale: Dan de Grandpre from Dealnews.com predicts that consumers will see amazing prices on home and garden items as well as tools and hardware. Due to moves Amazon took last year he wouldn't be surprised to see them beat other retailers prices in the days and weeks leading up to Black Friday.

Prediction: Amazon will use free or cheap shipping and discounts across the board to come out on top of online retailers this Black Friday.

auntie g
10-06-2008, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the article! Black Friday is a huge day for me. I go out with a group, and it's our one "girls day" a year, so it's always fun!

nelie
10-06-2008, 10:06 AM
I avoid shopping on busy days so... I generally don't shop between Thanksgiving and Christmas, unless its online.

modkittn
10-06-2008, 10:58 AM
I LOVE Black Friday and have been going for the past 3 years with a friend - its like tradition now. The lines at Best Buy ALWAYS suck. I always go to Circuit City, Target, Kohl's, and Walmart. Then I throw in any other stores that have specific things on sale that I am looking for. This year I want to look for a digital camcorder though, so I might have to go to Best Buy... which I am not looking forward to! I might have to add Babies R Us this year too.. :lol:

PhotoChick
10-06-2008, 11:00 AM
I avoid Black Friday like the plague.

Amazon.com is my friend. :)

This year it's going to be a lot of books from Amazon, and a lot of iTunes gift cards since 3 people I know broke down and got iPods this fall. :)

jahjah1223
10-06-2008, 11:07 AM
I've never really shopped on black Fridays due to it being very busy and crowded , but i might consider it this year if i find a baby sitter :-D

mikkos
10-06-2008, 01:24 PM
I can't believe that's next month already!

SunshineCA
10-07-2008, 01:41 AM
My DH told me about this earlier. I usually stay as far away as I can from the stores on Black Friday BUT I may have to indulge a bit if I can't find the things I need scratched off my list.

futuresize6
10-07-2008, 09:15 AM
I did Black Friday once-1996 a month after we were married. I bought a low price TV for my husband at Caldor(anyone remember that store?). It was a mess and stressful, people followed me to the car to "help" me get the TV into the car just so they could have my shopping cart. Never again.

zeffryn
10-07-2008, 10:02 AM
This year I'll be 8 mos. pregnant...but it is so much fun that I think I still might go. My girlfriends and I get together after everyone's Thanksgiving festivities are over and plan our morning. Sometimes there are different priorities and we might meet later in the morning.

Last year, it really wasn't that bad. I think the key is to stay away from certain stores. Target and Best Buy are always crazy...so we avoid them. Last year, we hit Walmart for kids toys and a few electronics, JC Penney for towels and linens (it was awesome! - this year I'm going for organic cotton towels), Sears for small appliances, Macy's, Old Navy and a few local stores. When I came home, I shopped Amazon.com for the deals there.

It really wasn't that chaotic though - my DH and I went out later in the day and found that it was busier around noon than it was in the Early morning.

PhotoChick
10-07-2008, 10:09 AM
Last year, we hit Walmart I would sooner shoot myself in the foot than go to Walmart on a *regular* day ... on Black Friday?? Good grief. I'd be suicidal if I had to go to Walmart on Black Friday. You're a brave woman.

modkittn
10-07-2008, 10:17 AM
Actually, Walmart is pretty good at getting their lines MOVING. Best Buy, IMO, is not. It takes way longer to check out at Best Buy than at Walmart!

nelie
10-07-2008, 10:21 AM
If you live in an expensive area, Walmarts are horrible because they don't allow many. Not that my parents live in a poor city but they have 4 walmarts in their city. All the walmarts (well minus 1) are very easy, well kept, etc. I live in a county that will only allow 1 walmart for the entire county. It is dirty, hectic and makes me feel like I can't breathe. Sometimes, during the week, its not bad but weekends are horrible.

zeffryn
10-07-2008, 10:39 AM
I would sooner shoot myself in the foot than go to Walmart on a *regular* day ... on Black Friday?? Good grief. I'd be suicidal if I had to go to Walmart on Black Friday. You're a brave woman.

haha! I feel the same way...on a normal day, waiting in line for a half hour isn't unheard of. We avoid it like the plague. BF is one of the few times of year that I'll actually go to a Wal-Mart. Target has been progressively worse crowd and line wise each year.

The thing about Wal-Mart and Black Friday is they are anticipating a million people and every single register lane was open. The store by us is open 24 hours, but they do not "unveil" the Black Friday deals until 5 a.m. Most of the people there were buying electronics - which had to be checked out in electronics. The line there was enormous. Since we were only buying toys and a few other things, we could go to the front of the store, which was empty! We were in and out in 20 minutes.

zeffryn
10-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Actually, Walmart is pretty good at getting their lines MOVING. Best Buy, IMO, is not. It takes way longer to check out at Best Buy than at Walmart!

Oh man. I am not willing to deal with Best Buy crowds to save a few bucks.

Last year on BF there were 3 arrests at Best Buy for assault. I wonder if that camera or TV was really worth it.

Lunacy.

Glory87
10-07-2008, 10:41 AM
After working retail on Black Friday, I can't even stand the thought of being in a store on that day! I worked in a mall bookstore right after college - Black Friday was CRAZY! Online shopping at amazon sounds good :)

raw23
10-07-2008, 10:49 AM
Great article, thanks! Last year I did about 90% of my shopping at Amazon. Worked wonderfully! I'll be looking out for that cheap shipping and discounts.

stacylambert
10-07-2008, 12:05 PM
We've gone out on BF every year since we've been married, this year will make #6. We avoid Best Buy and Target. Rarely does Wal Mart have anything we're interested in (no kids). We usually go to Circuit City first, then Sears, then any stores that have something specific that we want. We got our TV on BF at Circuit City TWO years ago and its still a very competitive price. They have amazing deals there and the wait to get in and out are nothing like Best Buy.

SBD Sass
10-07-2008, 12:08 PM
Which website is good to take a look at for Black Friday sales and deals on certain items???

zeffryn
10-07-2008, 12:44 PM
Stacy - I totally agree about Circuit City. I may brave going there this year to if the deals are right...DH has been hinting towards a HDTV for the bedroom.

SBD - I usually just get the deals in the local paper. I used http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/ (this) website last year for other deals, but I think it is more fun just digging through the paper. Some ads for BF are released the Sunday prior to Thanksgiving, others are released Thanksgiving day. It is hard to tell. Also, each of the stores websites will have information on what sales they will be having.

SBD Sass
10-07-2008, 12:46 PM
SBD - I usually just get the deals in the local paper. I used http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/ (this) website last year for other deals, but I think it is more fun just digging through the paper. Some ads for BF are released the Sunday prior to Thanksgiving, others are released Thanksgiving day. It is hard to tell. Also, each of the stores websites will have information on what sales they will be having.

Thank you! :)

lizziep
10-07-2008, 01:20 PM
just reading this is starting a panic attack for me. lol. for the first time EVER I don't have to work the day after Thanksgiving. My aunt and cousin want me to go do black friday with them. I've never done it before- I'm terrified. I don't know if I can do it.

And really- it's just STUFF. I don't know how I feel about feeding the corporate machine.... on the other hand it's STUFF I desire... hmmm... we'll see. Maybe i should just take a valium with my thanksgiving dinner. lol.

zeffryn
10-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Lizzie - a lot of coffee helps ;)

Last year I converted my sister in law. She was a staunch "NO" in years past, but last year there were things that she really wanted. She admitted that she had a lot of fun and was the first person in the group to bring it up this year.

zenor77
10-07-2008, 01:44 PM
I thought you were going to post an article about the stock market crashing on Friday. Lol. I'm a dork!

I've only ever gone shopping on Black Friday twice. Once years ago and last year I got dragged with my Aunt and cousin. I was surprised, it was busy, but not insane like I thought. Target, Kohls and Old Navy were the only stores mentioned that we went to. Then we went to Michaels.

Unless I see some killer deals, we'll probably stay home. This maybe be a digital camera Christmas though, so I might brave some stores.

I make most Christmas gifts and I pick up stocking stuffers here and there for a few months, so I don't usually need to buy much by the time Thanksgiving rolls around.

zeffryn
10-07-2008, 01:54 PM
Zenor - Michaels had some really great deals last year. I bought my Mom a ton of scrapbooking stuff for a great price.

Also, I stocked up on knitting needles and other odds and ends.

Hobby Lobby (if you have one around) has really great stuff as well. I bought my baskets there on BF to make holiday baskets. I think I paid $2.50 a piece.

This year may be a digital camera year for us as well. Try circuit city over Best Buy....they usually have a lot of the same stuff on sale and it is MUCH less packed.

zenor77
10-07-2008, 02:04 PM
Hobby Lobby (if you have one around) has really great stuff as well. I bought my baskets there on BF to make holiday baskets. I think I paid $2.50 a piece.

I just discovered Hobby Lobby and that place is awesome! I went looking for 2" rings (I'm making ornaments with them) and Hobby Lobby was the only place I could find them. I <3 a good craft store. :)

zeffryn
10-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Me too!

They also have a buttload of Christmas decorations on sale around that time.

Definitely a store I need to put on my list. Also, since they cater to a rather small crowd and aren't selling televisions, the crowds are very light.

futuresize6
10-08-2008, 10:11 AM
The anxiety of the day and the crowds is so not worth my time, or my sanity!

modkittn
10-08-2008, 10:48 AM
All this talk of Black Friday makes me wish that I could see some of the ads and start making a list!

auntie g
10-08-2008, 06:39 PM
For those who are interested in knowing stuff ahead of time, try this

http://bfads.net/

You can sign up to get emails whenever they receive new ad info. I just got my first email of the season a couple days ago. No ads yet, it was just the warm-up letter, sort of, but it was exciting. It won't be long now!

NaturalStupidit
10-08-2008, 09:05 PM
I loooove Black Friday!!! My mom, sister and I did it a couple of years in a row. My boyfriend and I did it last year and it was so much fun! (Mind you, we're near Chicago and last year, in the early morning hours I think it was in the 20's out) If my boyfriend can get off of work, we definitely plan on going this year.

biosci02
10-09-2008, 06:06 PM
Last year I went out to Walmart at 5am with my sister to get a digital camera. It was crazy! Like someone mentioned, you have to purchase the electronics on sale at the electronics section which is really small and gets crowded really fast. I got my camera without incident, so I was good. I may go out this year with my sister again....

zeffryn
10-09-2008, 09:29 PM
can I just say that I'm so freakin' excited about Black Friday.....

auntie g
10-09-2008, 10:04 PM
Me, too!

modkittn
11-18-2008, 08:19 AM
I am really disappointed with most of the ads that have been leaked this year. :(

zeffryn
11-18-2008, 09:08 AM
Where are you finding leaked ads?

SBD Sass
11-18-2008, 09:15 AM
Macy's needs to hurry up with theirs. They have a good sale today and tomorrow on comforters sets 200-400 for 60-80. Too bad I couldn't get off work to go snag a few for gifts. I know there won't be any left for Black Friday.

modkittn
11-18-2008, 10:02 AM
Where are you finding leaked ads?

www.bfads.net
blackfriday.gottadeal.com

PearFreak
11-18-2008, 10:39 AM
I LOVE BLACK FRIDAY SHOPPING!!! Target and Old Navy and Toys R Us are the ones we mainly go to... stay far from Best Buy, as some mentioned they have s--l--o--w lines. I've already got my sitter lined up, so the hubs and I can shop, shop, shop... then get breakfast at the Cracker Barrel.

modkittn
11-18-2008, 11:03 AM
I LOVE BLACK FRIDAY SHOPPING!!! Target and Old Navy and Toys R Us are the ones we mainly go to... stay far from Best Buy, as some mentioned they have s--l--o--w lines. I've already got my sitter lined up, so the hubs and I can shop, shop, shop... then get breakfast at the Cracker Barrel.

Have you seen Target's ad this year? Its pretty horrible :(

zeffryn
11-18-2008, 11:07 AM
Mod - thanks. I thought that was what you meant...I checked it out and wasn't too impressed...although there are a lot of places that release new information the day before. Let's wait to see. Most of the stores that I'm going to haven't even released their stuff yet.

I thought I would see better deals on Blu-Ray players. DH wants one for the bedroom.

It looks like Kohls has some pretty decent stuff....they always have good sales, though.

Sass - is that sale in-store only?
-

Unfortunately, my in-laws have decided to split a month before Thanksgiving. It really is putting a damper on my black friday shopping as now we're having two thanksgiving meals - one Thursday and another Friday. Friday is the one that I have to bring the most stuff to. :( I told DH that I would set him up with a list of things that I needed him to do while I was gone. I'm not planning to hit as many stores this year as I'm going by myself - in and out! I shouldn't be home too late this year. Even going as many places as my group went last year, we weren't home much later than 9. Hopefully I'll be able to come home and rest for awhile before starting on my Turkey Day cooking.

zeffryn
11-18-2008, 11:13 AM
Mod - I heard from a friend who works at Target that they have other sales that will be released Thursday.

Ugh...I definitely stay away from Toys R Us...I can't handle the people in that store!

This year, I'm doing Wal-Mart, Old Navy and Kohls for sure. Probably a golf store in town for DH. Maybe Target if I find out they have better deals. So far, Target really hasn't impressed me. We'll see what they release Thanksgiving Day. Last year their sales weren't all that impressive either.

I really don't have a lot of things that I need to buy...most of the stuff that DH put on his x-mas list, I'm going to have to buy online from a specialty music store. Family is mainly getting food gift baskets. DS is getting toys and games, but I bought all of his stuff at Wal-Mart last year. I am hoping to be able to find more pajamas for him this year. Last year, I bought a ton of different jammies for $3 a piece.

I'm hoping Kohls has some x-mas decor on sale, I'm sure they will. Bigger home this year requires more stuff!

I always get a hundred times more excited when the actual ads come out - I guess I'm tactile like that.

nelie
11-18-2008, 11:17 AM
zeff - if you are looking for blu-ray, don't forget to look at ps3s. Gaming systems are built to put up with a lot of abuse and I know many people who bought a ps3 to play blu-ray movies and they have been pretty happy.

modkittn
11-18-2008, 11:34 AM
zeff - if you are looking for blu-ray, don't forget to look at ps3s. Gaming systems are built to put up with a lot of abuse and I know many people who bought a ps3 to play blu-ray movies and they have been pretty happy.

We bought our PS3 for the gaming AND the blu-ray. I love it! If you are only using it for blu-ray though, you're probably wasting money. The PS3 is around $399 and yuo can get a blu-ray on Black Friday for $150

nelie
11-18-2008, 11:38 AM
We bought our PS3 for the gaming AND the blu-ray. I love it! If you are only using it for blu-ray though, you're probably wasting money. The PS3 is around $399 and yuo can get a blu-ray on Black Friday for $150

We are going to wait on blu-ray for a while although we are going to buy a laptop with a blu-ray drive. Woot recently had a blu-ray player for $150 but it wasn't very good so I'm a bit skeptical :) Although for me I rather spend more on an electronics item than have to shop on black friday. Actually, I generally don't step into a store (other than grocery) between Thanksgiving and New Years. Once 2009 hits, it'll be safe again for me to enter stores :)

SBD Sass
11-18-2008, 11:52 AM
zeffryn - it's totally in-store today/tomorrow and that's why i'm so bummed

zeffryn
11-18-2008, 12:19 PM
Sass - I just saw an ad on TV for it....sounds like a great sale.

Re: PS3, we already have one. It's our blu-ray player for our big tv in the living room. DH wants to be able to play blu-rays on our new bedroom tv (32" Sharp 1080p) without having to unplug and replug the ps3 each time. I can't blame him, it takes forever.

Blu-Ray players have definitely come down in price quickly....probably since the format war was decided. I recently saw a Magnavox at Wal-Mart for $199. I saw a Sony blu-ray player for $249 on Black Friday...although I can't remember where (Target or Best Buy, probably).

Anybody know if stores like Banana Republic do BF stuff? I would like to get DH more shirts.

I wonder if The Dark Knight is going to be released before the Holidays...I'm sure it will. I haven't seen mention of it being released before BF, though. DH wants it bad (it had the almost never used triple star next to it) as well as the Matrix blu-ray box set.

Jeez...his Christmas list could almost be interchangeable with my 14 year old nephew's x-mas list. ;)

zeffryn
11-18-2008, 12:24 PM
Also, I wonder what Amazon is going to be offering this year....last year they had some really great deals.

I have a $25 gift cert. to Amazon....not sure if I'm going to save it and use it for gifts or if I'm going to pick something out for myself, it was a birthday gift :)

PearFreak
11-18-2008, 12:32 PM
Have you seen Target's ad this year? Its pretty horrible :(

Yeah, I've seen it. Not as good as previous years. But still some things I want to get. Can't beat their dvd assortment and prices. I have lil ones so the toys/clothes section is where I go...

apotter8
11-22-2008, 02:59 AM
I love Black Friday!! I go out every year. This year I have to work though. The mall that I work in is opening up at midnight so I get to work from midnight til 5:30 then I get to go get all of my shopping done. As a gift to you guys I"ll let you know about our doorbusters!!

I work at the ever so wonderful Bath and Body Works. Every store in the country has the same deals however most will not be opening at midnight as ours is so check your local opening times.

Wallflower plugin starter kits and refills are on $5 normally 12.50

Japanese Cherry Blossom and Warm Vanilla Sugar Products EXCLUDING the eau de toillet are $4.oo each normally 9.50- 12.50

All hand soaps are 4 for $10 normally 4.00-5.00 each

AND................................ With any $40 dollar purchase you will be eligible for to buy our VIP bag for another $15. This bag includes multiple full sized products totalling to $106.00! VERY limited quantity of these bags. Our store is the busiest in the district and recieved about 300 of them. Ejoy, be safe, and have fun!!

CandyKisses0204
11-22-2008, 01:16 PM
im not going out this year... BUT i am doing some black friday online shopping.

black-friday.net has TONS of stores and sales. It shows what things will be on sale at what places and what time they open and what not