20-Somethings - Feeling Fat

View Full Version : Feeling Fat

Kayhm0711
10-06-2008, 12:39 AM
Can you believe this? In high school I weighed only 140lbs, and I thought I was a cow. I hated my body and everything about it and wanted to always be thinner. Now I am 240lbs after a baby too (she is 14 months old) no reason for me to be this overweight though. I have lost weight. I was up to 260 and slowly losing it now.

But when I look back at pictures of me now at 140lbs and think about how I felt about my body I feel stupid. I wasn't fat, still in a healthy weight range, not the skinniest person in the world, but I was by no means fat, and NOW I am FAT!

Does anyone else feel that way about the way they use to weigh?

UrsusMaritimus
10-06-2008, 12:48 AM
Oh yeah. I felt the same way in high school, at 145 lbs. - which is my goal weight now! My perception of my body was so out of whack.

JulieJ08
10-06-2008, 12:51 AM
I think it's very common. Nothing like a different perspective and a little age to make us realize how unnatural our society expects our bodies to be.

Skullarix
10-06-2008, 01:49 AM
I hear you! I was 140 as well, and always thought I was fat, now I know differently. I'd love to be 140 again!

WormwoodDoll
10-06-2008, 01:51 AM
I am the exact same way! I'd do ANYTHING to just be 180 again, let alone 140!

Blcarter84
10-06-2008, 01:54 AM
Yeah I was 145 in high school and I would LOVE to be that way again....only then I thought I was fat so basically i was borderline anorexic and this time it is all HEALTHY

sh3l5
10-06-2008, 01:55 AM
i was never skinny in school....
im thinner now than i was then....

Jolie4me
10-06-2008, 03:54 AM
I never remember thinking I was skinny... I was around 105 through High School and remember thinking I would never be over 120 pounds no matter how much I ate. I was the biggest out of my best friends.. One was 5'7" and 98 pounds and the other was shorter about 5' and under 90 pounds. I remember we couldn't even give blood at the the blood drive in High School. BUT even then I didn't think I was thin enough. Don't get me wrong I wasn't obsessed with losing more weight but I just didn't think i had a "good" body even when I was getting a lot of positive feedback from people. At one point my parents did take me to a doctor b/c I was malnutrientioned which was acutally due to depression not an eating disorder.

My point is that I think that especially during adolescent no one is every happy with what they have.... even the skinny popular girls.

I do believe that it would have been harder to be overweight in H.S. and definitely can appreciate the hurt people can inflict on others. I'm glad I was never mean to anyone for being over weight.

I joined Facebook recently and a bunch of my old H.S classmates found me and they all look the same... I'm the ONLY one who has gained weight from what I can tell. I'm sure they are all talking about it LOL oh well

Anyway... i guess i was sort of venting and TMI :grouphug:

reddahlia
10-06-2008, 05:13 AM
My point is that I think that especially during adolescent no one is every happy with what they have.... even the skinny popular girls.

I think you're so right! When you're a teenage girl the hormones, the other girls, the wanting guys attention, all of that contributes to make you never satisfied with yourself.

Mango683
10-06-2008, 10:52 AM
SAME thing for me!! I thought I was always the big girl! In middle school I was, but then I evened out in high school, but never really knew it..looking at the pictures, I can't believe I didn't embrace it and keep it that way..college was the killer..it was all over after that. Until now. I'll get there. I will. I have to. I WANT to!

jahjah1223
10-06-2008, 10:58 AM
I remember being 120 and thinking i was too chubby!

Circebee
10-06-2008, 11:54 AM
How much our perspective changes! I remember crying for weeks because I had "ballooned" up to 125 pounds from 105 pounds between my soph. and junior year in high school. I crash dieted back down, of course, and now pay the price for those years of yo-yo dieting with my current snail-like metabolism. Silly teenaged me!

mariarose
10-06-2008, 01:33 PM
No matter my weight, I've always felt fat (especially as a 100 lb 8th grader!). Soooo basically I need to ignore how I feel, since it is unchanging, and go by objective measures, which is something I've learned to do.

DRose
10-06-2008, 01:52 PM
I was overweight since 2nd grade, I can't remember ever being thin.

LandonsBaby
10-06-2008, 01:56 PM
When I look back at myself at 85lbs I still see fat. I don't think I was ever thin enough but I know that it's ridiculous and I don't need to go back there. The goal weight I have chosen is reasonable and healthy, regardless of if I get there and still think I'm fat. My perception is still skewed so I've got to work with what is logical not what looks right to me.

mariarose
10-06-2008, 03:22 PM
When I look back at myself at 85lbs I still see fat. I don't think I was ever thin enough but I know that it's ridiculous and I don't need to go back there. The goal weight I have chosen is reasonable and healthy, regardless of if I get there and still think I'm fat. My perception is still skewed so I've got to work with what is logical not what looks right to me.

That is exactly what I was trying to say!

HeatherMcG
10-06-2008, 05:26 PM
Well I was always the fat girl, always. I hated the way I looked, the way clothes fit, just everything about myself in general. As a junior, I weighed 220. Magically, (and I mean magically) over the summer before my senior year I dropped 40 lbs. I still though I looked horrible. I hid in huge sweatshirts and only wore jeans.

I recently just saw a picture from Thanksgiving of that year. WOW! All I can say is wow. I was so beautiful and healthy looking. I wasn't bone skinny at 180 but geeze, I was hot! I so wish I could've seen then what I see now. Maybe then I wouldn't have kept eating like I was 220 and wouldn't be in the position I am in today!

Apparently hind sight is 20 /20. And the hind I saw in those pictures was pretty cute too! :)

Quiet Ballerina
10-06-2008, 10:58 PM
I'm not sure what my weight was, but in 7th grade I was a size 4 and I remember feeling *so* fat. My best friend had a really think body type, where my body type has always been more muscular. Looking back, my weight crept up and up over the years (going by sizes anyway). I don't know if I'll get into a size 4 again, but a size 6 would be AMAZING!

Susie Derkins
10-07-2008, 10:29 PM
I recently found a photo of me sitting on the steps of my middle school with some pals. At the time, I thought I was much heavier than any of my friends and I remember always feeling fat. But now when I look back, I realize I was a healthy size for my age and height.
But, back then, I used to skip breakfast and lunch on a regular basis, refuse to drink soda (tho that was probably a good thing!:)), and hardly eat anything for dinner in order to lose what I now realize was imaginary weight. It was such an absurd belief on my part, but I fully thought I was fat. So silly!:o

gatorgirl6
10-08-2008, 12:32 AM
These pictures are from senior year in high school and I thought I was an absolute COW! I even joined WW to lose weight. I must have been crazy! I would love to be this size again. I even still have the yellow shirt. It was one of my favorites. Lets see if I can fit back into it one day.

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp325/dmmajr60/squattingpatty.jpg

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp325/dmmajr60/yellowshirt.jpg

JulieJ08
10-08-2008, 10:08 AM
These pictures are from senior year in high school and I thought I was an absolute COW! I even joined WW to lose weight. I must have been crazy! I would love to be this size again.

You looked just fabulous, as you now know.

Wow, what I wouldn't give to be 18 again. Emphasis on the "would not." ;)

fattgirl
10-08-2008, 10:43 AM
Can you believe this? In high school I weighed only 140lbs, and I thought I was a cow. I hated my body and everything about it and wanted to always be thinner. Now I am 240lbs after a baby too (she is 14 months old) no reason for me to be this overweight though. I have lost weight. I was up to 260 and slowly losing it now.

But when I look back at pictures of me now at 140lbs and think about how I felt about my body I feel stupid. I wasn't fat, still in a healthy weight range, not the skinniest person in the world, but I was by no means fat, and NOW I am FAT!

Does anyone else feel that way about the way they use to weigh?

Yep, in high school I bobbed between 140 and 145 lbs. I used to starve myself because I thought I was fat. Now I'm 231. I have no idea how I let myself get here. I have like vague memories of sitting in front of the TV with bags of chips. ......food amnesia........
I think I ate my way through life for happiness only to find misery in my new size.

amandarose17
10-08-2008, 12:37 PM
I always always a little larger, but I was never the biggest girl in the room. I weight the same now as I did in HS. IN college I was down to 135, but I didn't notice the weight loss because I was really sick (I had a stomach infection) and I still had a gut.

I am however, the smallest person in my family, my dad being the next smallest @ 225lbs and 5"11. My sister and mother both weight well over 300lbs, so I always felt small around them.

I think if we could just cut off this gut, I might not feel fat anymore.