Crockpot/ Slow Cooker - Phase I - Crockpot Refried Beans

View Full Version : Crockpot Refried Beans

CyndiM
10-05-2008, 08:49 PM
These are as good or better than any of the reduced fat refried beans in a can. They're also a lot cheaper! If you prefer the extra fat they can be cooked in a pan with a little fat after they are done. I served mine with sauteed veggies and some brown rice for P2.

Makes about 8 1/2 cup servings

2 cups of dried pinto beans
water

1 1/2 yellow onions
1 1/2 red onions
5 whole garlic cloves
1.5 T cumin
2 tsp coriander

Soak the beans overnight

Put the beans in the crockpot & cover with water, about 1 inch over the beans.

Stir in the cumin and coriander.

Peel and cut the onions & garlic in half & add to crockpot.

Cook on low for 8-10 hours, or until the beans are tender. I used the full 10 hours.

Discard onions. If there is a lot of extra liquid drain some and save it. Mash the beans with a potato masher. Season to taste.

The original recipe called for removing the garlic too but that seemed wrong. I added a generous amount of a Mexican seasoning blend to mine. Next time I will make them with black beans.

cottagebythesea
10-21-2008, 07:23 AM
I'm going to make this with black beans, and leave the onions in it. I may add a can of diced chilis, too. :T

CyndiM
10-21-2008, 07:30 AM
The ones I made with black beans came a little thin but still delish. I'd suggest a bit less liquid with them. The original recipe called for removing the garlic but I thought that was just silly :)

Ruthxxx
10-21-2008, 07:46 AM
Removing garlic is VERY silly!

KO
02-12-2009, 03:03 PM
does this freeze well?

CyndiM
09-20-2009, 09:50 PM
KO - better late than never - this freezes really well. I now make big batches and freeze half.

So far I've used pinto, black and anasazi beans and all are great. I'm actually partial to the anasazi when I can get them. They are a little smoother and creamier.

WaistingTime
02-15-2010, 02:18 PM
I made these for my second time now. When I wrote the recipe down I missed Cyndi's last comment about Mexican seasoning... that would be perfect. So instead I added Rotel tomatoes to my second batch. I drained them first so it would not be too spicy but may not do that next time.

I am still struggling as Goldilocks here...one batch was too dry, one batch was a bit watery. My third will hopefully be just right.

I am trying to freeze some this time too.

CyndiM
02-15-2010, 02:23 PM
I often end up too watery. I either just drain them a bit (you can freeze the liquid for your next batch) or if I happen to have some instant Fantastic foods dried refried beans I add a couple of spoons. That's my next project today. I just do them in the pressure cooker now.