Old 10-05-2008, 03:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/190/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Default Question about calories of today's menu! (Input needed)

Hello Ladies, I wanted to start count calories using fitday. I tracked my calories today and they were a little bit more than what I would like them to be ( I am aiming for 1400 with almost equal ratio of protein:carbs). I think that the food I ate is pretty healthy, but I think I had too many fruits!
Can anyone help me by giving suggestions on how to cut down on eating fruits in my case? I really think that I need them.
Oh and I normally don't drink fruit juice, but lately decided to drink green shake and needed a base for that!

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 2.jpg (25.1 KB, 32 views)
ouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:55 PM   #2  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I think it's the dates that threw you over the edge. I tend to avoid them (or only eat 1) because they've got a TON of natural sugar (and carbs). I've noticed that when I'm craving something sweet if I counteract it with something salty my craving disappears quicker. I would replace some of the fruit servings with veggies .
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:12 PM   #3  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I don't think I'd cut out the fruit; it doesn't look like you are eating an excessive amount to me. In fact, I think a little more fruit and especially more veggies would be good. Here is what I would change:
  • Drop the latte. Drink coffee with a little fat free half and half and sweetener. That cuts about 100 calories.
  • Significantly cut back on the olive oil (this is what really seems excessive to me). You don't need 2 tbsp olive oil to cook one chicken breast (I'm just guessing that's what you are using the olive oil for because I'm sure you aren't eating the oil by itself--yuck--and I don't really see anything else it would be used for). I would broil the chicken breast with no oil or I would pound it flat with a meat mallet and cook it with cooking spray (in a non-stick pan). That would drop 240 calories. Or you could cook the chicken in a non-stick plan with 1 tsp olive oil. That would still drop 200 calories
  • Exchange the 1.5 cup milk for yogurt or cottage cheese. Both of these would provide the same nutrition as the milk (so the calories you are consuming wouldn't change) but would be more filling for longer. But this is really just a personal preference.
  • Exchange the dates for fresh fruit or veggies. Dried fruit is a lot of calories for not a lot of food. This could drop up to 280 calories, as the volume of fresh fruit/veggies that would equal the volume of dates you are eating would probably have 50 to 100 calories.
  • Drop the orange juice and eat fruit or veggies instead. All the beverages with calories that you are consuming (latte, milk, orange juice) are using up 400 valuable calories (over 1/4 of your calorie goal for the day). Maybe you could try to limit yourself to one caloric beverage per day.

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 10-05-2008 at 04:13 PM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

First of all, did the latte have sugar? Switching to black coffee or coffee with just a splash of milk will cut some cals. I don't like to drink my calories (unless I've saved up for wine) so I'd cut the juice too. Eating an orange gives you fiber and more benefit for less calories then orange juice.

I love dates, but they are mostly sugar and they are high in calories. I'd find something else to substitute, like dried apricots or an apple.

Also, did you use 2T of oil to cook one breast? I find most recipes only need 1T for four servings. Cutting back on the oil will allow you to eat other healthy fats that are filling (nuts, avocados, etc.)

Where are the veggies? I would definitely trade most of the fruit for veggies. They are very important.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:14 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

I think it would really benefit for you to weigh out your foods. It's hard to judge what a "medium sized" chicken breast is. If you weigh it out and figure out how many ounces you ate, it'd help make your count more accurate. Where are the vegetables? Why not substitute that 100 calorie glass of orange juice with dinner for some cooked veggies instead?

Your breakfast seems to be seriously lacking. Maybe add a yogurt instead of having coffee with so much creamer/sugar.

Instead of the dates, have a real piece of fruit.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:18 PM   #6  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Pretty much what I would have suggested is already above, I third the vote for not drinking your calories and cutting back on the amount of olive oil used for cooking.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Yup. I agree with the above.

And I'd skip dates except as a "treat" food. There are a lot of yummy fruits that I enjoy, but are just too calorie high for me while I'm trying to lose, so they become treat items. Once you move into a maintenance phase, you can probably add back more of them.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:32 PM   #8  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

i would also get rid of the oil
i know that for me weighing and measuring is a big thing.

1 medium chicken breast is about 8 oz of meat.. double what you need

i never drink fruit juice...

also what spread was on that chicken sandwich?

i'd get some more veggies if you could

and make sure that latte was fat free and sugar free and it's ok...
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:15 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/190/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Thanks for the quick reply ladies.
The coffee is low in fat and without sugar. I did not use 2 tbs to cook my chicken breast. In fact I had a spoon over my oatmeal I know this might sound yukkie to some people, but I thought if I had fat early in the day it will help me stay full for a longer time. I used half of the other tbs to cook the chicken and the other half over the chicken sandwich with some mustard, since I didn't add any cheese or mayo.
And yesو I aslo think that I should cut back on the "medium chicken breast،" ّI will try to weigh this next time.
ouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:35 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Quote:
In fact I had a spoon over my oatmeal I know this might sound yukkie to some people, but I thought if I had fat early in the day it will help me stay full for a longer time.
For the same calories and more protein you can add some cheese to your oatmeal and it will help you feel full. I don't like sweet oatmeal in the mornings - I prefer cheese, salt, pepper, etc. in mine.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:41 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouch View Post
In fact I had a spoon over my oatmeal I know this might sound yukkie to some people, but I thought if I had fat early in the day it will help me stay full for a longer time.
You could accomplish the same thing with flaxmeal in your oatmeal, which will give you fiber, flavor and omega-3 to boot. I have been doing this.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:54 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I add flax to my oatmeal as well. A bowl of oatmeal lasts me at least 3 hours (1 cup steel cut oats, 1T flax ground, 2T soymilk, 1t sweetener, and some fruit= approx 300 cals of filling breakfast.)

You could also get a little fat in by adding some chopped walnuts or another nut/seed of choice.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote