20-Somethings - Stupid Starbucks...and a low cal pumpkin recipe!

yesitsmeagain
10-03-2008, 08:49 PM
So I was walking by my local Starbucks and noticed a sign advertising a new drink- salted caramel hot chocolate! MMM did that sound GOOD! I've been pretty satisfied with Starbucks in the past offering lower-cal versions of their treats (using nonfat milk, no whip, sugar free syrups and light frap base) I went right to their website to figure out how I can work this delicious sounding drink into my meal plan. IMPOSSIBLE! A tall, nonfat, no whip one is STILL 400 CALORIES! :tantrum: WTF is in that thing?

Instead I give you a pumpkin smoothie recipe to get you in the mood for fall!
http://www.recipezaar.com/140445 I'll be making this one tonight using skim milk, pureed pumpkin, 1/2 a frozen banana and some ice!

ghost
10-03-2008, 09:08 PM
OMG, I am soooo trying that smoothie. And carmel, that is my freakin favorite!

Jo7475
10-03-2008, 09:10 PM
This sounds YUMMY! Thanks!

Shannon in ATL
10-03-2008, 09:20 PM
I saw that salted caramel cocoa today, too. According to the website, a short (8 oz. v. tall = 12 oz), nonfat, no whip is 270 calories, 10 grams of fat. With whip takes is to 320 cal, 15 grams of fat. What I don't know is if any of the stores actually sell the new 'short' size yet...

ChileanChick
10-03-2008, 09:22 PM
Caramel Frapuccino Light.. the smallest one of course is like 180 cals... not bad for a treat... although I prefer an ice cream..

Glory87
10-03-2008, 09:23 PM
My friend has the world's tiniest stomach and orders a short at every Starbucks she goes to - no problem. Pity about that salted cararamel calorie count. I might get one ONCE just to try it :)

ghost
10-03-2008, 09:26 PM
We don't have a starbucks on our island, but I have a starbucks barista espresso machine at home so I can pretend. I make my own lattes at home every morning with carmel sauce. A 12 oz double latte with non fat milk and carmel sauce that I make is 220 calories. Ya, I usually stick with a liquid breakfast.

caligirl98
10-03-2008, 09:37 PM
We don't have a starbucks on our island, but I have a starbucks barista espresso machine at home so I can pretend. I make my own lattes at home every morning with carmel sauce. A 12 oz double latte with non fat milk and carmel sauce that I make is 220 calories. Ya, I usually stick with a liquid breakfast.

I didn't know a place on earth existed where there wasn't a starbucks on every corner...lucky you. There are about three starbucks a block from my house. I thnk peets is better.

ChileanChick
10-03-2008, 09:51 PM
I didn't know a place on earth existed where there wasn't a starbucks on every corner...lucky you. There are about three starbucks a block from my house. I thnk peets is better.

In Chile the first Starbucks opened just 2 years ago... LOL!

yesitsmeagain
10-03-2008, 10:02 PM
I saw that salted caramel cocoa today, too. According to the website, a short (8 oz. v. tall = 12 oz), nonfat, no whip is 270 calories, 10 grams of fat. With whip takes is to 320 cal, 15 grams of fat. What I don't know is if any of the stores actually sell the new 'short' size yet...

I've never seen anyone order a short before! I wonder if they really exist? Hmmm I might be able to swing 270 calories...

To those making the smoothie, I recommend adding some a bit of honey to it!

creativename
10-03-2008, 10:12 PM
All Starbucks (at least the ones I've been to, and I live in Washington, so that's a lot) offer the "short" size, they just don't advertise it.

Taylor86
10-03-2008, 10:48 PM
I have tried "shorts" but it's literally like a shot glass. I drink americanos which are only 5 calories (espresso and water) but I was reviewing my budget the other day and saw that the boy and I spent 253 dollars a month on starbucks. That's about 1-2 drinks there a day.

After that I got my coffee maker outta the closet and bought some espresso blend coffee from starbucks and we are gonna make our own coffee at home!

mandalinn82
10-03-2008, 11:11 PM
We use coffee shops as a treat...usually on weekend mornings. During the week, we make a pot of coffee each night and put it in the fridge overnight. In the morning? Iced coffee! My partner uses it to make coffee ice cubes...with the ice cubes, the coffee, some milk, and some sugar free syrup, she has a low-cal Frappucino every morning.

Salted caramel is one of my very favorite things. I wish they hadn't done whatever they did to get that astronomically high calorie count!

junebug41
10-03-2008, 11:30 PM

Starbucks is fine and all, but Peets is the BEST :D

Bee20nine
10-04-2008, 01:04 AM
Starbucks is my wallet's enemy. I love their hot chocolate in the winter. I make room in my diet for them. I want to try with non fat milk but I don't know if it will taste the same and ruin the experience.

Ufi
10-04-2008, 01:27 AM
I went to get a latte this morning, usually soy when I get the treat. I asked about the special, and it was made with with half-and-half. Before thinking, I shocked myself and said before thinking, "Oh, that's too fattening for me," and ordered the soy latte. As I waited for my drink, I was first stunned that I said that (what a mindset change) and then stunned that I said it out loud!

zenor77
10-04-2008, 02:40 AM
So I was walking by my local Starbucks and noticed a sign advertising a new drink- salted caramel hot chocolate! MMM did that sound GOOD!

You totally lost me on salted part. That sounds gross!

mandalinn82
10-04-2008, 02:48 AM
Zenor - have you had Salted Caramel? If you want a REALLY yum treat, buy yourself one of these.

http://www.franschocolates.com/home.php?cat=2

Grey salt caramels = little bite of perfection.

It sounds weird but it totally works.

deanna125
10-04-2008, 03:35 AM
Mandalinn82, I had those caramels last time I was in Seattle at Frans. They are to die for! I drove 45 minutes out of my way to find them after another web site recommended them. When I saw the ad for Starbucks new hot chocolate they were the first thing I thought of. I especially liked the ones with the smoked salt. Out of this world. Even at that price!

I think I'll have to try the hot chocolate - just to say I did.

Shannon in ATL
10-06-2008, 03:45 PM
I went to Starbucks over the weekend and learned two things - 1) the short is commonly referred to as the 'kids' size and isn't advertised, 2) the salted caramel cocoa is really good... the cocoa mix was pre-blended in a container from the cooler- they let me order nonfat and didn't tell me it couldn't be made that way, but who knows what I actually got. Maybe the above mentioned half and half...

Edit - remember when you could get 8 oz. sodas in little glass bottles at the convenience stores? It was a perfectly valid adult size then! :)

ghost
10-06-2008, 04:10 PM
I hate fast food sizing. I'll never understand why any human thinks they need and extra large or super size of ANYTHING. Unless they are returning from an island in the middle of nowhere where there are no fast food places or starbucks (because you can bet that when I hit the anchorage airport on the 31st I'll be in line for one of the aformentioned salted carmel hot cocoas. And I'll probably get a big un' too!

Cali, thats right, this island has no starbucks, no "fast food", no wally world. We have a safeway...wooohooo.

jahjah1223
10-06-2008, 07:14 PM
Starbucks is my enemy! lol

Smagash
10-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Starbucks is my enemy! lol

ditto

chai tea lattes are my budgets arch nemisis

sh3l5
10-07-2008, 03:03 AM
whenever i go to the coffee shop i opt for water as i cant stand coffee!....

shantroy
10-07-2008, 01:25 PM
I love, love. love starbucks! last year for xmas i got $750 in starbucks gift cards! I swear every relative got me one, my boss gave me one it was kinda crazy. But I managed to used them all up....

Shannon in ATL
10-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Smagash - I used to get a chai tea latte every day from Starbucks until I realized how easy they are to make. All they do is pour Tazo Chai concentrate out of a box and mix with your milk or soy and ice or steamed milk or soy for hot. I drank mine iced, and I could make 8-10 venti equivalents out of one box of chai concentrate that cost me $3.99 from Target plus whatever the cost of my milk or soy. At the time, $2.00ish for a container of soy that made a matching number of iced beverages, so $6.00 made 8-10 drinks that I used to pay $4.23 apiece for... I tried the hot sometimes by heating the soy in the microwave, and just as good...

Glory87
10-07-2008, 04:47 PM
You totally lost me on salted part. That sounds gross!

Come on Z - sweet and salty is CLASSIC goodness. Yogurt pretzels?

Peets is okay, but I'm a Coffee Bean and Tea leaf fan! I also like Seattle's Best because of their sugar free raspberry syrup (once a year or so, I email Starbucks and suggest they should carry it!). Considering Starbucks owns Seattle's Best...seems like a no brainer.

peachcake
10-07-2008, 06:46 PM
I agree that salted carmel sounds icky. But I don't like things like chocolate covered pretzels or any sweet/salty mix. I like my food seperate, my Mom thinks I'm weird and swears I must have been switched in the hospital at birth.

I LOVE non-fat peppermint hot chocolate in the winter. I despise coffe or coffee flavored anything though. I can't even remember the last time I had Hot Chocolate with full fat milk and I don't want to! I know it tastes good but is sooo bad for you. Being that I am so use to non-fat it doesn't bother me. I don't drink plain milk, I'm sure there's a difference in taste there too though.

yesitsmeagain
10-07-2008, 10:53 PM
Well I finally caved and got it! The guy didn't seem to know what a short was...once he found it he was like "are you sure you want this size? it's so small!" YES I wanted it...heck it's a normal serving size (8 oz I think), so I told him that. It's super rich so I was barely able to finish the short...my verdict is that it was pretty good but not fantastic. Glad I tried it so I can move on in my life, heh!