Old 10-03-2008, 01:18 PM   #1  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

Default Low fat/calorie pizza dough recipe

does anyone have a recipe for a low fat/calorie pizza base?....
myself and the bf have decided to attempt to make a pizza tomorrow....
im quite excited but cant find a decent recipe....
thanks in advance!....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:55 PM   #2  
I love Werewolf Movies

S/C/G: 270/Tracker, baby, tracker/127

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh3l5 View Post
does anyone have a recipe for a low fat/calorie pizza base?....
myself and the bf have decided to attempt to make a pizza tomorrow....
im quite excited but cant find a decent recipe....
thanks in advance!....
I swear to god that i am not being a lazy butt - but I have always used the Pita bread. Me - the person who used to LOVE making pizza with her own dough... the pita is probably the easiest way to count exactly what you are eating and it is way easy to clean up. Direct on the rack a 400. xoxoxox!
Paula
xYourBelleMortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:02 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Here's the recipe that I posted to another thread. I'm not sure exactly if you'd consider it "low" calorie, but it's fairly healthy. We cut it into 4 pieces and make individual pizzas out of it. Divided into 4, each crust is 250 cals and 4.6 g of fat.

I actually use Alton Brown's recipe for pizza dough, but I sub whole wheat flour (which I buy from King Arthur Flour, so it's really ground whole wheat, and not unbleached white or something like that), and ground rolled oats for the regular flour.

Alton's recipe works really well for whole grain doughs, because it requires an overnight in the fridge, which allows more gluten to form. Normally the problem with whole grain pizza crust is that they don't have enough gluten and they don't get "stretchy" enough to make good crust.

In the recipe below (which is his from Good Eats), I use 1.5 cup whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup ground rolled oats (I just whirl them in the food processor).

2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon kosher salt*
1 tablespoon pure olive oil
3/4 cup warm water
2 cups bread flour (see above substitutions)
1 teaspoon instant yeast
2 teaspoons olive oil
Olive oil, for the pizza crust

Place the sugar, salt, olive oil, water, 1 cup of flour, yeast, and remaining cup of flour into a standing mixer's work bowl. Using the paddle attachment, start the mixer on low and mix until the dough just comes together, forming a ball. Lube the hook attachment with cooking spray. Attach the hook to the mixer and knead for 15 minutes on medium speed.
Tear off a small piece of dough and flatten into a disc. Stretch the dough until thin. Hold it up to the light and look to see if the baker's windowpane, or taut membrane, has formed. If the dough tears before it forms, knead the dough for an additional 5 to 10 minutes.
Roll the pizza dough into a smooth ball on the countertop. Place into a stainless steel or glass bowl. Add 2 teaspoons of olive oil to the bowl and toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 18 to 24 hours.
Place the pizza stone or tile onto the bottom of a cold oven and turn the oven to its highest temperature, about 500 degrees F. If the oven has coils on the oven floor, place the tile onto the lowest rack of the oven. Split the pizza dough into 2 equal parts using a knife or a dough scraper. Flatten into a disk onto the countertop and then fold the dough into a ball.
Wet hands barely with water and rub them onto the countertop to dampen the surface. Roll the dough on the surface until it tightens. Cover one ball with a tea towel and rest for 30 minutes.
Repeat the steps with the other piece of dough. If not baking the remaining pizza immediately, spray the inside of a ziptop bag with cooking spray and place the dough ball into the bag. Refrigerate for up to 6 days.
Sprinkle the flour onto the peel and place the dough onto the peel. Using your hands, form a lip around the edges of the pizza. Stretch the dough into a round disc, rotating after each stretch. Toss the dough in the air if you dare. Shake the pizza on the peel to be sure that it will slide onto the pizza stone or tile. (Dress and bake the pizza immediately for a crisp crust or rest the dough for 30 minutes if you want a chewy texture.)

In the summer time we actually put our pizzas on the grill and cook them that way - makes for really yummy pizza with a smoky flavor - almost as good as a real brick oven.

I top mine with tomato sauce, artichoke hearts, chopped baby spinach, mushrooms, basil, and cheese.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 10-03-2008 at 03:05 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:12 PM   #4  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

if you like mushrooms use a big portobello mushroom cap for "dough". de-spore it, brush it with a little teeny bit of olive oil and bake it on 350 for 4 minutes, remove, turn it upside down so the top of the cap is facing down, add your toppings of choice, broil on high for about 5-8 minutes, enjoy. super low calorie!
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:33 PM   #5  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

brilliant....
thanks people!....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #6  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Quick Pizza Dough

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/qu...zza_dough.html

1 pound dough (6 servings) | Active Time: 10 minutes | Total Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 package quick-rising yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 cup water
Preparation

Pulse flour, yeast, salt and sugar in a food processor until mixed.
Heat oil and water in a small saucepan or in a glass measuring cup in the microwave to between 120 and 130°F. With the processor on, gradually pour the warm liquid through the feed tube. (If the mixture is too dry, add 1 or 2 tablespoons warm water.) Process until the dough forms a ball, then process for 1 minute to knead.
Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
Nutrition

Per serving : 151 Calories; 1 g Fat; 0 g Sat; 1 g Mono; 0 mg Cholesterol; 30 g Carbohydrates; 4 g Protein; 1 g Fiber; 390 mg Sodium; 65 mg Potassium

2 Carbohydrate Serving

Exchanges: 2 starch

Tips & Notes

Make Ahead Tip: The dough can be made ahead, enclosed in a plastic bag and stored in the refrigerator overnight. Bring to room temperature before using.
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #7  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

I also use pita bread easy, makes cooking time fast, information on the pack, can choose between normal, wholemeal, whatever. nice!
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote