20-Somethings - Spinach

View Full Version : Spinach

Here we go again
10-03-2008, 12:45 PM
I've been eating a lot of spinach lately. I didn't realize it but I ate it all three meals yesterday.

I've heard that spinach is good for you especially in weight loss, but why?

AllyN
10-03-2008, 12:51 PM
I also love spinach! It's good for you because it has lots of beta-carotene, that helps fight disease! Also, one cup of raw spinach is only about 7 calories! (Yippie) It also has lutein, which helps prevent age-related macular degeneration (vision problems). Also lots of vitamins, antioxidants and minerals!

I've also heard that it can lead to an increase in energy, fuel production and blood-sugar levels. (I think this is currently being studied!)

Be careful though, cooking it also reduces some of the benefits..like most things raw is the best...but it's so versatile and yummy!

Any good spinach recipes?!

sotypical
10-03-2008, 12:59 PM
I love spinach smoothies.

I fit as much spainch as I can into my magic bullet and add a bit of water and blend until smooth.

Then I through in frozen blueberries (another very vitamin rich food), 1-2 tbsp frozen orange juice concentrate - sometimes I add some flax seed or other berries as well. Blend until smooth again.

This is my favourtie way to eat all the foods that all full of good for me vitamins - I can mix them all up and eat them all at once.

I also love Gomaae (http://japanesefood.about.com/od/salad/r/gomaae.htm) - I just found a bottle of the dressing at a Japanese place though, so I just boiled my spinach, add a bit of the dressing and some sesame seeds... YUM!

Here we go again
10-03-2008, 01:02 PM
I actually have been experimenting with it.

Yesterday I had a spinach & mushroom frittata. It was so good. I put 1 1/2 cups of spinach, 1/2 cup on sweet onion, 1/2 cup of mushrooms, 2 egg whites and one egg, and parsley patch seasoning. It was so good.

L- I had tuna salad- 1 can tuna in water, 1/2 avacado, sweet onion, 1/4 cup salsa, 1 tbl spoon lemon juice, 1 tb spoon of sweet relish, s & p,
I put the tuna salad on a whole wheat tortilla, with lots of spinach and alfalfa sprouts on top. It was amazing!

D- Had 1 1/2 cup spinach, sauted with 1 tbls sp of olive oil, 1/2 cup onion, 1 cup of mushrooms, then put in a can of stewed tomatoes, garlic salt, Italian seasoning. 1 link of chicken sausage. It was way better than a restaurant.

I'm wondering if anybody else has great spinach recipes.... Is spinach high on fiber? I can tell a difference if you know what i mean. :)

junebug41
10-03-2008, 01:09 PM
Spinach is sooooo good for you!! It's super rich in Vitamin K, Vitamain A, Folate, Magnesium...

Well, there's too many to list, but this site will show you just how awesome it is:
http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=43#summary

I'm not a huge fan of it in salads (I have to have it mixed with other greens), but I love it cooked and throw it in with just about everything. I also love it in smoothies because I can get SO much of it in there.

raw23
10-03-2008, 01:12 PM
Spinach kinda confuses me... at the store they only have baby...?? Do I need to try a new store is does spinach only come in baby (which doesn't make sence in my mind)?

NishKitten
10-03-2008, 01:45 PM
I don't eat meat at all unless it swims in the ocean, so I eat a ton of spinach to combat anemia. Lots of iron, and eating it with every meal means I don't have to take any supplements. During my period I take flintstone vitamins just to get a little extra so i'm not dragging @$$ everywhere, but blech!

zenor77
10-03-2008, 01:46 PM
Spinach kinda confuses me... at the store they only have baby...?? Do I need to try a new store is does spinach only come in baby (which doesn't make sence in my mind)?

Baby is the most popular because it is more tender then "adult" spinach. I bet your store does carry adult spinach, but it's probably not bagged and pre-washed. I usually see regular spinach in bunches near the "loose" produce.

zenor77
10-03-2008, 01:49 PM
I love spinach and eat a lot of it too.

Just make sure you eat it raw and cooked to get the most benefit (not necessary in the same meal.) Some vitamins (like K) are destroyed in the cooking process, but others (like iron and calcium) are only available after cooking. It's also beneficial to eat cooked spinach with something acidic (tomatoes or vinegar) to help your body absorb the calcium in spinach.

raw23
10-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Ah... I'll check there. Thanks! I love the stuff, but there's a lot of stem for very little leaf.

junebug41
10-03-2008, 01:54 PM
Ah... I'll check there. Thanks! I love the stuff, but there's a lot of stem for very little leaf.

I usually get it in the big tubs and don't notice that problem. However, the loose "adult" spinach that you will find in bunches at the grocery store in the greens section do have very long stems.

Here we go again
10-03-2008, 01:58 PM
Spinach is sooooo good for you!! It's super rich in Vitamin K, Vitamain A, Folate, Magnesium...

Well, there's too many to list, but this site will show you just how awesome it is:
http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=43#summary

I'm not a huge fan of it in salads (I have to have it mixed with other greens), but I love it cooked and throw it in with just about everything. I also love it in smoothies because I can get SO much of it in there.

This website is awesome! Thanks. Back in the day, I only used to eat spinach in quiche and on top of mashed potatoes. Let's just say I've come a long way. :)

junebug41
10-03-2008, 02:00 PM
It's one of my favorite sites ever and makes me feel very good about what I put in my body :)

My only experience with spinach growing up was cooked beyond recognition and drenched in butter, so I know where you're coming from!

ghost
10-03-2008, 04:27 PM
I am a huge spinach fan, raw or cooked. I like it because I'm not huge on dairy and it has a lot of calcium (as most green leafy's do). I have to force myself to eat yogurt, so spinach is my savior in the calcium department. Oh, and everytime I feel like I'm coming down with something I grab a can of spinach, nuke it, add balsamic and eat it, liquid and all...I am rarely sick and I swear its because of spinach.

PhotoChick
10-03-2008, 04:32 PM
I loooove spinach. I eat it just about any way I can. I also buy cooked frozen spinach at the store (nothing added) and puree it to add to soups, baked goods, etc.

LindsayL0ve
10-03-2008, 04:37 PM
More power to all of you, but I HATE spinach.

ghost
10-03-2008, 04:42 PM
my son does too, he gags when I force feed it to him.

PhotoChick
10-03-2008, 04:56 PM
If you blend it up and add it to things like soup, you really really don't taste it. I know it sounds weird, but it's true.

raw23
10-03-2008, 04:57 PM
In high school we were doing a scavenger hunt and at one of the stops the team had to eat a can of spinach. No one would touch it and it was taking sooo long with everyone arguing (it's a race people!). So I relaxed my throat, opened my mouth and downed the whole can in seconds! It was my first try of spinach! :lol:

leighish
10-03-2008, 05:00 PM
when I was pregnant, one day I was overcome with the urge to eat as much spinach as possible.

Normally my cravings consisted of chocolate milk, macaroni and cheese, and milky way bars. not necessarily in that order.

BellaHTH
10-03-2008, 05:02 PM
If you blend it up and add it to things like soup, you really really don't taste it. I know it sounds weird, but it's true.

I second this. I put a hand full blended in fruit smoothies, and I can NOT taste it (and trust me when I say I have a sensitive palette, just as my mother...)

ghost
10-03-2008, 05:03 PM
leighish, you were probably lacking iron. I hate cream of wheat but one day when I was preggo I ate three bowls of it, turns out it was iron fortified and my labs said I was anemic. I've never eaten it since...BLECK!

UrsusMaritimus
10-03-2008, 07:32 PM
I too love spinach. My mom hated it, so I never had it growing up - didn't even try it until I was in my 20s. I'm glad to know it's so good for me!

Here we go again
10-03-2008, 07:37 PM
My mom always had it in a can with vinegar. So I'd never touch it. I didn't even know what spinach looked like not canned until early 20's. I don't think I tried it until I was 23.

ghost
10-03-2008, 09:17 PM
now I feel like I desperately need spinach! add that to my list of stuff I need today (spinach, wine, pumkin spice smoothie, jalapeno cheese roll)

Its Courtney
10-04-2008, 02:13 AM
Ohhh I love spinach! I got home from work tonight and made a great dish that's so filling and delicious! I scramble 2 egg whites with spinach, asparagus, feta and a couple of cherry tomatoes..add a little ground pepper and MAN it's good! I had that along with a nectarine and a glass of chocolate soy milk...mMmMmmmmm!!!

iriswhispers
10-04-2008, 02:57 AM
I've never had spinach from a can but it doesn't sound very appetizing. I picture it kind of slimy. But in general i'm quite a spinach fan!

here we go again, did you say spinach on top of mashed potatoes? that sounds really yummy... did you steam it first or how did you serve that?

Taylor86
10-04-2008, 03:36 AM
I love spinach. You can do so much with it!

Here we go again
10-04-2008, 05:04 AM
I've never had spinach from a can but it doesn't sound very appetizing. I picture it kind of slimy. But in general i'm quite a spinach fan!

here we go again, did you say spinach on top of mashed potatoes? that sounds really yummy... did you steam it first or how did you serve that?

I used to cook spinach over the stove, put just a lil bit of milk in it and cook it. Then I would put a scoop over mashed potatoes. it's really good.

ChileanChick
10-04-2008, 07:39 PM
I lvoe spinach too! And chard ("acelga" here, I had to look that up in a translator)
Anyway, the other day I had a spinach/chard/ zuchini "cream", it´s a soup but it was kind of less watery and it was great!.. just boil them, put them in the blender with water and it´s so so good, tons of vitamins and great for winter!

beaka
10-05-2008, 03:20 PM
I LOVE spinach! Never had it growing up though. I add it to pastas and use it in salads.

I even make low cal spinach dip. 1 container fat free sour cream, 1 handful fat free mozerella cheese, a box frozen spinach. Throw a little more cheese on top and back for 15 min. LOVE it!

Kelbrina
10-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Any ideas for spinach for someone who hates spinach? :"D

JulieJ08
10-05-2008, 04:03 PM
Any ideas for spinach for someone who hates spinach? :"D

Chop it up small and throw in soup or really most anything. It has such a mild taste that you won't taste it. And as long as you're not adding the whole bag to a single/double serving, you'll probably not even see it.

kamesennin
10-05-2008, 04:31 PM
If you don't like spinach, try buying organic spinach. Conventional makes the back of my teeth squeak. It's hard to explain, but I can't stand the feeling. Organic doesn't do that, for some reason. :dizzy: