Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-03-2008, 09:36 AM   #1  

Height: 168cm

Default Considering Lap band. A few q's

Firstly I apologize if these questions have come up before, but I'd really like to know...

a) How bad are the scars? Do they disapear or can you get, say lazer surgery to remove them like with say, acne scarring?

b) Will there be loose skin? I've started the gym and if I get the surgery done it will be in about 6 months. If I keep working my muscles before the surgery will this reduce loose skin? and if I continue after the surgery will that help too?

c) Will hot drinks 'melt' the band? This might sound really stupid, but this is what I've heard
Flabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:39 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 415/238/220

Height: 5' 11"

I'm 8 days out from surgery and my scars are shinking fast. However, I think it depends on the surgeon. I have five small scars, the largest being about 2 inches long and the rest in the 1/2 inch range. My surgoen used glue which suppose to create the least amount of scaring.

The skin question is part genetic, just like some people have stretch marks and other don't. I've seen it both ways. My opinion and one of the reasons I picked the lap band is that you drop weight slower, which I hear gives you a better chance at having less hanging skin. IMO

No, hot foods or liquids will not melt the band. Think of it this way, anything hot enough to melt the band would cook your stomach.

In the end being here and asking questions is a very good thing. Each operation is different and each of us is different. Good Luck in whatever you choose.

Wes

Last edited by JustWes; 10-03-2008 at 02:46 PM.
JustWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:53 AM   #3  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

The skin issue can be a problem but I've found that it does improve with exercise. I had GBP and am not doing too bad with it though I have very good genetics on my side if you look at my family history.

Exercise before surgery is always a good idea! The better shape you are in before hand, the better you handle surgery and the faster your recovery will be!

Good luck honey,

Angela
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:56 PM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabulous View Post
Firstly I apologize if these questions have come up before, but I'd really like to know...
Don't apologize, ask away !!

Quote:
a) How bad are the scars? Do they disapear or can you get, say lazer surgery to remove them like with say, acne scarring?
I can barely see my scars, but I agree with Wes, it depends on your surgeon. I had appendix surgery years ago, a good 8" scar and you can barely see it now.

Quote:
b) Will there be loose skin? I've started the gym and if I get the surgery done it will be in about 6 months. If I keep working my muscles before the surgery will this reduce loose skin? and if I continue after the surgery will that help too?
That would depend on how much weight you have to lose, where the weight is carried and your age and yes, if you exercise. Every "body" is different.

Quote:
c) Will hot drinks 'melt' the band? This might sound really stupid, but this is what I've heard
The only thing they say to be careful with (food wise) is carbonated drinks, such as soda, seltzer, etc. But thats only because if can hurt you (the bubbles can cause pain in the pouch). Other than that, you eat what you can tollerate.

Good luck !!!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote