Exercise! - Keep "tri"-ing triathlon chat!

Pages : [1] 2

View Full Version : Keep "tri"-ing triathlon chat!

paperclippy
10-03-2008, 10:24 AM
:swim: :bike2: :running:

So now that I'm committed to train for my first triathlon (a sprint), I thought it might be fun to have a triathlon chat thread, since I know I'm not the only one! Please join in if you're even considering triathlon training.

I'm still working on putting together a training schedule. My triathlon is on April 19th, and it's a 400meter swim, 10mile bike, and 5k run. I haven't swam a lap since I was about 10 years old so I think swimming is going to be the biggest challenge. I'm planning to hop in the pool this coming week though! I'm also still in recovery from knee tendinitis so I need to take it slow. Luckily I have lots of time!

How about the rest of you?

nelie
10-03-2008, 11:12 AM
My 'training' schedule is a bit out of whack now that I'm officially training for a 5k run. So I'm supposed to run 4 days/week. I swim 2-3 days/week. I lift 2-3 days/week. I need to figure how biking fits in and just do a bit of juggling.

Mrs Snark
10-03-2008, 11:33 AM
Paperclippy -- I have a post in my blog about the swim training I did for triathlon (http://3fatchicks.com/diet-blogs/tylerdurden/2008/08/07/total-immersion-swimming/) if you're interested... :)

midwife
10-03-2008, 11:37 AM
What a good idea for a thread!

Right now I am focusing so much on training for my half-marathon, my biking has gone out the window. But I could totally bike 10 miles right now--maybe not quickly, but I could do it.

Which leaves me with swimming. Our pool is now 72 degrees and that is ***cold*** for me. I hate it when it is less than 89 degrees (yes, I am a wuss). At any rate, we are closing it soon, so I will need to come up with an alternative swimming plan. I do have some choices. The high school by my house has an indoor pool and early am hours for a reasonable fee. There is also our local YMCA with an indoor pool and I am encouraging my 8 yo to pick up a sport....maybe swimming, maybe basketball but both at the Y, so that is another possibility.

paperclippy
10-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Midwife, our community pool is closed for the season too. I'm looking at a couple different indoor pools. They're about the same price ($3.50/visit at one, $4 at the other). I think I'm going to go to the one in the new fitness center our city runs because then I can pay like $1 extra and use their treadmills and stationary bikes (and indoor track, etc) too, for when I am up to doing swim + run or swim + bike at the same time, or when it's totally freezing and nasty outside.

Josephine - thanks! I think I'll try just hopping in the pool once and getting a baseline before doing a training plan, but I'll look at the total immersion program if I just flop around like a dead fish. ;)

nelie
10-03-2008, 01:42 PM
I joined a swim center which wasn't exactly cheap but since I joined as a couple, it came to a little over $200/person/year. They also do have a small workout room. Some of their hours are weird, especially weekends but it works well.

AnneWonders
10-04-2008, 12:03 AM
I started doing tris in 2004 after I overtrained myself into a stress fracture by running too much.

I've been mostly off exercise for a year due to a moderately complicated pregnancy, and my comeback tri (a sprint) is scheduled for October 12. I haven't been running much since my right knee apparently unhooked itself during said pregnancy and is slowly knitting itself back together, but I'm good for the swim and the bike, and there is no shame in walking the "run". This is shaping up to be a personal worst time for the course, but it should be fun and it certainly is motivating. I'll be happy to finish at 4 months postpartum and, sigh, almost 40 pounds above my race weight, but my secret goal is no more than 2 hours (my PR was in the neighborhood of 1h30m).

I'm trying to squeeze training in between caring for two small children, including breastfeeding my 4 month old son, and starting back to work part time after my maternity leave. It has been a struggle, and the first daycare induced cold has hit me. Fortunately my body remembers it used to be in shape after such a long layoff, and it is coming back more quickly, except for the run. Right now I'm happy to get one swim and ride in a week, and two walk/run sessions.

We have good public pools here in Tucson that are open and heated in winter. $1.50/swim. Limited hours, but a nice option. I'm thinking of joining the Y soonish though so I can get DD into swim lessons.

Anne

paperclippy
10-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Good morning everyone! I got my run in for the day (couch to 5k week 4 day 1). My legs are pretty sore since I hiked 9 miles on Saturday. Oops! Oh well. I was planning my first swim for this Thursday, but I just realized it's Yom Kippur so there is no way I will have the energy to work out after work having not eaten since the previous night. I think I might try for the swim tomorrow instead.

Question for the swimmers . . . How the heck do I put on a swim cap? I bought one, but I can't figure it out. Do I shove it on my head, then try to stuff my hair up under it? My hair is pretty short, it just comes to the bottom of my ears, but since it's short I can't really tie it up or anything.

nelie
10-06-2008, 01:28 PM
The swim cap is well interesting. Get it on your head as best you can and then stuff your hair into it. Some days I do better than others.

AnneWonders
10-06-2008, 11:56 PM
I have short hair so I'm not much help on getting the hair/cap thing straightened out. Just stretch it a lot before it goes on and try not to move it around much once it gets there because it pulls.

I was going to try to strog yesterday, i.e. jog with my big giant double stroller, but a nasty cold has its hooks in me, so I'm happy I managed to stralk. I don't know that I'm going to get in any last minute training before my race on Sunday, so we'll have to see how far a refusal to quit and minimal training will get me. It's an 825yd/12mile/3mile sprint, so I should be OK. I think. Yikes.

Anne

paperclippy
10-07-2008, 09:58 AM
Anne, strog and stralk are my new favorite words! :lol: Your sprint is harder than mine is going to be, good luck!

I put together a triathlon training schedule for myself based on one of the plans at the beginner triathlon website. It has me running MWF, swimming ThSat, and biking TuSat, plus strength training TTh. Do you think that's too much? The running is not negotiable for now, until I work up to being able to run 5k, at which point it could drop to twice a week. This morning I did an upper and lower body strength routine, and this afternoon is my first planned bike ride (2 miles).

AnneWonders
10-07-2008, 10:54 AM
Jessica,

That training schedule is probably fine, unless all the workouts are very long or intense. You need to monitor how you are recovering from each workout and if you are starting to drag, make some adjustments. I like that there is one day completely off. I really needed that when I was doing intense training. I also liked a periodized training schedule, which is (for me) three progressively harder weeks building distance, speed, and/or intensity, and then one week where all workouts are "easy". Then build again.

I also found it very difficult to include intense strength training with intense tri training--I just got too sore and couldn't recover adequately. UBW interfered with swimming and LBW with running and biking, so I never found a good split. Core is helpful though.

Anne

nelie
10-07-2008, 11:13 AM
That training schedule seems fine. Unfortunately, due to my 5k training, my biking is falling off. I need to try to fit it in but...

Run - Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday
Swim - Tuesday, Thursday (was also Sunday but Sundays are dropping off)
Weights - Tuesday, Thursday, Sat or Sun (this is very flexible)
Bike - When I can fit it in...

I'm also doing physical therapy right now which takes up a bit of time.

paperclippy
10-07-2008, 06:13 PM
Anne, all my workouts are 30 mins or less, at least for now (until I can handle more time/distance). For example, this week I'm doing couch to 5k week 4 for my runs (26 mins, 16 of which are jogging), 2 mile bike ride, and 50 meter swim. My strength training is exercises given to me by physical therapists for when I was recovering from my knee and wrist injuries, so they are pretty light, plus standard core exercises. I don't think I could handle going without a rest day either! I'm interested in your three weeks buildup, one week easy plan though, maybe I'll try to incorporate that.

Actually I'm upset because today was supposed to be my first bike ride, but it is pouring rain outside. :mad: DH is apparently working late though, so in a minute I'll head to my office's gym and use the stationary bike, even though they only have a recumbent one.

paperclippy
10-08-2008, 01:00 PM
So, I didn't make it to the stationary bike, but instead I went to the pool and did my first swimming workout. All I can say is that it's a good thing I have 6 months to train for this! Phew! :eek:

The pool is apparently 25 yards long. I went one length as kind of a warmup (after attempting to swim and failing after three strokes), doing a mish-mash of freestyle, breaststroke, and underwater breaststroke. I had to stop to catch my breath at the end. Then I came back breaststroke the whole way, caught my breath again, went out freestyle, rested, came back breaststroke, rested, then did a there-and-back all freestyle with a short rest in the middle. I was still breathing hard ten minutes after getting out of the pool! This morning my pecs and triceps are sore.

I had trouble remembering how to breathe correctly. I kept getting big mouthfuls of water, or lifting my head too high. Then when I started to get out of breath, I would feel like my legs were sinking too far. By the end I think I had my freestyle a little more under control, but this is going to take a LOT of work.

This morning: c25k w4d2, done! I'm bumping the missed bike ride to replace Thursday's planned swim.

Edit - so the triathlon registration wanted me to give my 100-meter estimated swim time. I put 12 minutes as just a random guess. Doing my last lap at the pool last night, which was 50 yards total, took me 2 or 4 minutes (I can't remember now). Do you think I should change my estimate? They seed people's entry times into the pool based on speed.

nelie
10-08-2008, 01:06 PM
When do you plan to register for the tri? Maybe get more comfortable in the water before doing so. I can swim 100m in under 3 minutes and I'm a slow swimmer.

paperclippy
10-08-2008, 01:46 PM
I'm already registered, but you can change your estimated swim time up until a month before the race. I'm really hoping I can make a lot of progress in the next six months, otherwise I am going to use up all my energy swimming 400m and have none left for the bike and run!

sznn
10-08-2008, 10:15 PM
Hi Jessica - and everyone else,

I found your thread.
I am training for I guess you could call it a 1/2 triathlon in June 09
750m swim
20K bike
5K run

So far I have only been running - I can run about 6-7 K ...but nobody calls me
Speedy, that's for sure.
I have a big gnarly mtn bike I am going to train on - then I think I will rent a tri bike for the race (maybe try it out before the race)
I am not sure I want to invest in a bike as I am such a flake and I change my focus every 2 or so years. The equipment is piling up.

Jessica thanks for starting this thread - i think it will help keep me motivated.

-Susan

AnneWonders
10-09-2008, 10:07 AM
Jessica, you'll make a LOT of progress in 6 months. If you haven't done so already, I'd highly recommend a session or two with a professional swim coach to look at your stroke and make suggestions. That will make a big difference, since technique is so important.

Hi Susan! Tri-specific bikes with the full aero setup are notoriously twitchy and hard to handle, so if you rent one, it is a really, really good idea to try it a few times before the race. I ride my road bike for my races, and put on clip-on aerobars if I'm feeling serious, and even that makes my bike hard to handle.

Nelie, how goes the strength training with the tri training? I want to try to add it back into my plan, since I like the things it does for my body, but I always have issues with being too sore, i.e. big time sore and not just the little "good" sore I'd normally get with weight training. Being timecrunched and really into tri, lifting is the first thing to go. If you find something that is working, I'd really like to hear what splits you are doing and how you time them relative to your tri training to get good recovery.

I'm still trying to shake this cold. I've decided that at this point, getting well is more important than training, and I'm trying to make rest a priority, which really isn't happening with two small children. I'm hoping that things go well on Sunday. I need to go through my sports clothes today and see if I can find some things to fit me for this race, since I still have my postpartum body. If need be I can fill in the gaps at our tri store on Saturday when I go in for packet pickup. I'm starting to get excited about the race!

Anne

paperclippy
10-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Welcome to the chat Susan!

Anne - good luck on your tri this weekend!!

I did my first bike ride yesterday, 2 miles. Pretty easy. Since my goal with this tri is just finishing, not speed, I think the 10 mile bike ride will be no problem. I'll just go slowly. ;) Plus, it's Indiana, and therefore everything is flat as a pancake, so no hills to worry about! I bumped today's run from morning to afternoon, since it is supposed to be really nice this afternoon and I was totally sleepy this morning.

I'm out of town for a conference Sat - Wed. I'm planning on bringing my workout gear and swimming gear with me since I believe the hotel has a pool and fitness center. I might be able to run outside, but it depends on how dark it is in the morning (I'm going to Portland, OR).

nelie
10-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Anne,
Good luck on your triathlon!

If you get super sore with weights, then I'd suggest to build up slowly. You should really only get super sore in the beginning and then it becomes harder and harder to really get sore.

The part that is difficult is just fitting it all in. I do fairly short weight workout sessions (20-40 minutes) so they aren't too bad to fit in.

AnneWonders
10-13-2008, 12:58 AM
I did my sprint tri today, and was I ever undertrained. It is rough doing this with children. There is no time to rest and recover.

Tinfoilman is a sprint distance 825yd/12mile/3mile race. About as easy as it gets. Pool swim, and ride and run are flat as a pancake.

I swam the distance in about 20 minutes, which is about 2 minutes slower than I'd expect had I been training. Back and forth, 33 lengths. T1 was fairly slow, about 5 minutes, since it was cold out and I took the time to dry off and get a long sleeve jersey on and put on socks. I got out on the bike course, which is 3 laps of a 4 mile "block", 1 mile per side, and rode steadily, 47 minutes. I got passed a lot. I got into T2, and did a quick transition to the run, just about 2 minutes to get to my spot, rack bike, and change shoes. The run was pretty tough for me, since my training for this has been absolutely non-existent with the knee issue. I did run about half the time I was on the course and finished the run in about 47 minutes. I'm a pretty visual person, so I ran to, say, that bench, or that tree, and then walked a bit. My knee started whining at about 2.25 miles, so I walked a lot from there, but started to push it again at the end, when I saw I'd be getting close to my 2 hour wish goal. I finished in 2 hours and maybe 4 seconds (I haven't double checked all my math but the finish time is right). The official results aren't in yet, but it is true that this is a personal worst for me on the course. But, I'm so glad I finished.

Now I have to figure out what I'm going to do to train. I have one more fun tri, which is November 1, and a couple 5Ks for the year. I'm going to sit down with my coach soon and figure out what works. I'm sort of planning to play with swimming and biking, doing my home grown C25K, and just kind of get my life a bit more settled before I get serious next year. I'm sort of planning to do an Olympic distance race the first weekend of June, and it's at altitude, so I can't skate through that one like I did this one.

I'm so tired and sore now. But it was a lot of fun.

Anne

AnneWonders
10-13-2008, 01:00 AM
Nelie, when I was getting that sore, I had been lifting regularly for some time. I just don't think I could ever get proper recovery. That would certainly be an issue now, when only my left bicep (baby lifting arm) is well-trained.

midwife
10-13-2008, 10:26 AM
Congrats on the tri, Anne. Finishing is a victory!!!

My trainer designs such interesting weight lifting regimens for me, that I still get rather sore on a regular basis. I try to make sure I am getting enough protein, but sometimes my soreness makes it way to easy to justify skipping a run. I semi-jokingly reminded my trainer last week that I have a half-marathon next weekend and need to be able to walk. :lol: I'm fairly sore the first couple of weeks after each workout regimen change. I've kind of learned to just live with it, and I have really limited myself to lifting 3 days a week, running on the days I don't lift, except for one day when I rest. It was really hard to cut my running down to 3 days a week. Once the half-marathon is done, I think I will cut my running to twice a week, add a day of cycling, and put in some swim time...somewhere. I might have to drop weights to twice a week. All this keeps me busy! Worth it, but busy!

AnneWonders
10-17-2008, 01:17 AM
Bump. I've been a slug this week after my tri on Sunday, and a huge meeting at work that has been killing all my time.

I have a 5K on Saturday. Again no training. Sigh. I see lots of walking in my future.

I signed up for this stuff to motivate me. I need to re-evaluate my decision making process, obviously.

Anne

paperclippy
10-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Congrats on finishing the tri Anne! I will be really happy if I can finish mine in two hours, and it's shorter distances than yours. I hope your knee improves!

My training fell off the wagon this week thanks to going out of town for a conference. Conferences are grueling work! 8am to 9pm every day. I did get in my run on Monday, but not Wednesday, and no swims since last Tuesday (the hotel's pool hours were 9-5, so I couldn't get there), no weights or biking since last Thursday. I'm planning to get my run in this afternoon, and a swim tomorrow.

I think I need to reevaluate my training schedule. My knees aren't ready to do 3x/wk running and 2x/wk biking. I think I am going to drop biking to either not at all for now, or once a week. I'm thinking that biking 10 miles will be not so bad to just complete, ignoring speed, so I don't think I need six months of intensive training on it. Maybe I'll throw it back in in a couple months.

AnneWonders
10-17-2008, 12:50 PM
Jessica, I'd recommend just noodling around on your bike once or twice a week, just to stay familiar with it and keep your bike handling skills sharp. Also, if you haven't gone to your LBS for a bike fitting, you could try to do that. If your bike is properly adjusted for you so that it really fits you, it should be easy on your knees. An improperly fit bike can hurt.

I found a sweet new mountain biking area about 3 miles from my home! I am all stoked to go, maybe even Sunday afternoon.

Anne

paperclippy
10-20-2008, 11:39 AM
Anne - thanks, I will try for once a week and get myself fitted. How is the mountain biking area?

They opened up a street that was under construction near me, including a brand-new multi-use path along it, so now I can bike/run somewhere different! Last week ended up being not good in terms of keeping on schedule. This week will be different! My run is done for today already. Amazingly I had no problem waking up at 6, despite the fact that I slept until 10 Saturday and until 9 Sunday.

AnneWonders
10-21-2008, 12:52 AM
Sigh. I didn't get to mountain bike. I always forget to allow for the fact that I have children (duh) when I make my plans, and everything takes SOOOO much longer than I would have thought possible. Tonight I did get my mountain bike cleaned up and ready for a quicky test ride around the neighborhood tomorrow, and I'll be ready to go up to the off-road area soon. I also have to time-share training with DH, who is shooting for a 3 hr marathon in early December.

I did run this morning and my knee behaved. I'm basically following a C25K plan to build up my skeletal system slowly so I'll be injury free. I'm thinking I should go to the pool but am completely tired and unmotivated. I have another tri, the last of my season on November 1, and it's shaping up to be rough too. I'm planning to get serious with my training in January, but am having a hard time getting in the base I need with training this fall. I will get there from here though. It will just be slow. It is hard to know when I'm just making excuses and dragging, but the facts are that DS is still not sleeping through the night, I'm breastfeeding, and sleep/rest is a big priority for me. This is hard.

I did a 5K on Saturday. Took 5 minutes off my first 5K, which is mostly attributable to being able to walk rather than limp to the finish line. Still, I'll take it. 13 minutes to go to get back to my PR. One more year? I should be running about 3-5 miles by year's end, barring more injury, so that sounds about right.

Anne

paperclippy
10-21-2008, 09:58 AM
Anne, glad to hear your knee behaved. I think the fact that you are even attempting to do tri's and 5k's with a new baby and a toddler is amazing! :cheer:

I'm having trouble being motivated to swim too, largely because I have to drive 20 minutes to get to the pool. A poor excuse, I know. I'm scheduled to go swim Thurs and Sat so hopefully I'll get my butt there. Today is strength day for me. I was too sleepy this morning but I should have no problem getting it in this afternoon. I might do half at lunchtime and half after work.

AnneWonders
10-21-2008, 10:51 AM
Wanna make a pact? I'll go swim Thursday if you will. Deal?

Anne

P.S. I did ride the mountain bike this morning, mostly on the road, and practiced standing the uphills and downhills, bailing out on the "wrong" side, starting with the "wrong" foot, etc. For my graduation exercise I rode across a primitive road in my neighborhood that crosses a wash (dry stream bed) with lots of rocks and sand. Thirty minutes. Now I have to motor to work.

nelie
10-21-2008, 11:06 AM
I didn't go swimming today even though it was my scheduled day. Mostly because I was exhausted from yesterday's running/physical therapy. I plan to ride my trainer tonight.

I'm also having trouble with my food and swimming makes me hungry. I hate the idea of struggling with food and being hungry to top it off.

paperclippy
10-21-2008, 12:24 PM
I'm in, Anne! We'll both hit the pool Thursday.

Pink Geranium
10-22-2008, 04:22 PM
I applaud all you triathloners, and I'm interested in your progress as a bystander!

I'm full of advice, thanks in advance for reading. But I couldn't pass up swimming questions.

This is for Paperclippy. The 100 meter swim. Let's say you did the 50 in 3 minutes, (using your 2 or 4 minute numbers) and multiply it by 2 and say 6 minutes. Then if you want you could add another minute for the conversion from the yards you swam to meters (there is a 10% difference, 100 meters is about 110 yards) So you could even say 7. Then add another minute just for fun, if you want. No way you'd do 12 minutes for 100 meters. In fact I think 7-8 may be too much, given you will be training for a while and you'll get better fast. But, it gives you some room. I would think you would not want to be with people who swim a LOT slower than you as it will drive you insane going around them, and mess up your rhythm. Of course you don't want to be with people going too fast either, but I personally think you'd be better off with those who are a little better vs too slow.

I think this makes sense as I've been working with a friend who wants to do a triathlon and is an AWFUL swimmer. I mean sinking to the bottom when I first saw him swim. But he's really determined and works really hard and he's progressed very well - now can do 50's and 100's when before, well, it was 25 yards, wait 3 minutes, try again. Anyway, he can do a 50 in about 1 minute now, and for the 100, it's about 3 minutes. He switches between breastroke and freestyle to save energy if he needs it, but these were freestyle times. This is after about 2 months of working on it. I think by the time he wants to do the triathlon in the summer he can hold a 4 minute pace on the 100 easily while swimming continuously.

If you can find someone to look at your stroke and help you with your breathing or any other issue it will really help - it will save you energy to swim more efficiently. I guess this is an obvious point but people often think they just need to get in the laps and get stronger. Why work harder than you need to? You have the other 2 events to think about and you need your energy for them.

Somebody else asked about caps. On the cap question, I don't wear one now, as I have hair about 1 inch long, but I did for some time. Works better if your hair is a little damp but you can put it on dry. Stretch it over your forehead and pull back over your head. Stuff in the rest of the hair as needed. Works better if your hair is also in a pony tail, etc, rather than being loose. Less pulling. With practice you'll know how far up on your head you need to start to get it to go over all your hair comfortably.

Good luck with the whole thing, everybody, it speaks to your determination.

paperclippy
10-23-2008, 09:57 AM
Geranium, thanks for the info/advice! I have a friend who did a tri a few months ago who also recommended getting someone to look at my stroke. I think I can maybe pay for a single session with a swim coach at my pool, so I'll look into that.

paperclippy
10-23-2008, 10:54 AM
Anne, are we still on for swimming today? I'm planning to go right after work.

Yesterday's run was C25K week 5 day 2 -- two 8-minute runs with a 5-minute walk in between. It felt surprisingly easy, but my legs/knees were kind of sore last night. Probably because I did leg strength on Tuesday. I know I need to do leg strengthening to make sure I keep the muscles I don't use as much strong so my knees don't get screwed up, but I feel like doing strength in between two days of running is too much for my legs to handle. Any suggestions?

It's supposed to rain tomorrow. :( Not sure what I'll do about my planned run.

AnneWonders
10-23-2008, 11:36 AM
Yeah, still swimming today. I was going to go this morning, but got the 4 am wake-up call from the boy, and then got the kids out and it was 45 deg, and I decided that going after work would be a good plan. So after work it is. Bag is packed and in car (I have 7 bags today, I kid you not).

No suggestions on strength training and running. I always had the same issue and never figured it out. There are some tri books that suggest different types of strength training depending on what tri training you are doing. One of these days I'm going to try one of those schemes and see if it helps.

Anne

nelie
10-23-2008, 11:44 AM
paperclippy - I'm actually in a place where I'm doing leg strength workouts on the same days as my runs. You should be fine with doing strength in between your running days. My lower body strength training though comes from the physical therapist that is helping me with my running program.

AnneWonders
10-24-2008, 12:11 AM
Today was absolutely bananas, but I did go to the pool for a quickie swim and got in about 30 minutes (2x500yds + rest). I wouldn't have gone without the deal, so thanks. Did you make it, Jessica? My time was sort of cruddy, just under 12 minutes for the 500, but hey, I swam, and it did feel good.

My Active tri newsletter has this link about strength training for triathlon. I haven't had a chance to read it, and probably won't for a few days, but it is by a reputable tri coach.

http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/Weight_Room_or_No_Weight_Room_.htm

Anne

paperclippy
10-24-2008, 09:52 AM
I did go, Anne! I'm glad we made a deal. I also did about 30 minutes but for me it was 5x50yds. Now I just need to get my butt over there Saturday too. ;) Yesterday's swim actually felt easier than last week's, which was encouraging. I find that breaststroke is about infinity times easier for me than freestyle, so I'm wondering if I should give up on freestyle and just stick to breaststroke. I managed to find a little more comfort with freestyle once I realized that I don't need to kick as fast as I can the entire time. :p I'm starting to think that I will actually be able to do this 400m swim in a reasonable amount of time.

Also got in core strength, UBWO, and 2 miles on the stationary bike last night. Woohoo!

AnneWonders
10-24-2008, 10:12 AM
Excellent! Keep working on your freestyle, but mix it up with some breaststroke while you are training. Getting that coach to look at your stroke will help too.

I barely kick when I'm swimming distance. Working on a more productive kick is one of those things I should do, but then again for tri swimming, there is something to be said for saving your legs for the bike and run.

Rest day for me today!

Anne

AnneWonders
10-27-2008, 10:08 AM
I got in a run on Sunday. I'm planning to run Tues & Thurs this week, and the Saturday is my last tri of the season. The kids have been high(er) maintenance this week, so it's been a little rough.

Anne

paperclippy
10-27-2008, 10:43 AM
Anne, good luck on your sprint triathlon!

I had a great workout day Saturday! I had to postpone Friday's run to Saturday since it was raining Friday, but I got myself out there Saturday morning. Well, okay, sort of -- I drove to the gym since I had a swim planned and ran on the track. This was my first 20-minute run in the couch to 5k program, and it felt great. I'm clocking about 12 minutes/mile, which I'm pretty proud of. If I can do a 5k at that pace I'll meet my PR from before my knee injury.

I also did my planned swim after I finished running (and stretching)! I am really amazed at how much improvement I'm seeing with swimming each time I go. Saturday I did two warmup laps of backstroke, then one lap freestyle, one lap breaststroke, one lap freestyle, and a cooldown lap of backstroke. I paused for 15 seconds between lengths and 30 seconds between laps, but other than that I felt really good, and probably could have kept swimming longer.

I am so excited about this triathlon. I really feel proud of myself for the work I've done so far, and I've only been at it for 3 weeks. I went to my local running store yesterday and spent waaay too much $$ on winter gear. Hopefully this investment will keep me warm in the snow and ice so I can run outside all winter. I got this shirt made out of this crazy new fabric -- it actually heats up when it gets wet, so instead of getting cold and clammy when you sweat, you warm up instead!

AnneWonders
10-29-2008, 10:07 AM
Jessica, it is great to hear you so excited about your race!

I did my run yesterday. My knee is yelling at me today though, which makes me a little nervous. Hopefully it is just tweaked instead of damaged. I think it is still lose from the pregnancy and gets itself into whacky positions--sometimes it feels better after a run (or bike or swim) than before, which I attribute to being bumped back into place. Of course, I'm perfectly willing to accept that may be wishful thinking, but I do better if I think positively about it.

Anne

paperclippy
10-29-2008, 10:14 AM
Anne, have you tried wrapping your knee or wearing a flexible brace while you run? It might help hold it in place until it heals completely.

I have a question for the seasoned triathletes . . . what do you wear? As of right now, I have a Speedo swimsuit which is fine for swimming, and then I have good running gear (including sports bra) for running/biking. I'm a little concerned about the time it will take me to change from my swimsuit into my run/bike clothes, because there is no way I can do the run/bike without a sports bra. OTOH I don't want to spend a lot of money on special clothes, and my goal is just to finish, not speed, but still. If I wore the sports bra under my swimsuit would that work? Or would I end up freezing as soon as I got outside? (the swim is in a pool, and the race is in April so it may be a little chilly out)

AnneWonders
10-29-2008, 11:14 PM
Jessica, there is special tri clothing that can go through an entire race. I recommend trisports.com for good selection and service (disclaimer: the owners are friends of mine). This is a good time of year for the end of season discounts. It is really really important to get clothes that can deal with extreme moisture, because, well, you are wet for lots of the race and chafing can be an issue. Load up on Bodyglide too while you're at it. For my last race, where none of my clothes are really fitting me, I swam in two water friendly sports bras, and tri shorts, threw on a jersey in T1, and wore all that out on the bike and run. I'll do the same this weekend.

I haven't found a knee brace or wrap style that is working for me. Today's issue seems to be a tendency to hyperextend (ouch) rather than a runner's knee or IT band thing, so as long as I'm paying attention with active muscular support, no worries. We'll see what new surprise there is tomorrow.

Anne

AnneWonders
11-01-2008, 08:19 PM
I did my sprint tri today. Ouch! Actually the swim and the bike went pretty well, but it heated up here as Arizona can, and I was completely fried by the time the run came around. I didn't quite come in last, but close. I did finish, and that is the most important thing right now.

Next up is to try to do some run focus training for a while, play on the mountain bike and start some strength training again. I have NRLW for women coming on Tuesday, so that should give me something to think about.

Anne

paperclippy
11-03-2008, 06:06 PM
Anne, congrats on finishing your tri!

I discovered that I can actually put on my sports bra over my swimsuit, so I think I'll be okay with just layering stuff on. I don't really want to spend the money on tri-specific clothes after I just dropped about $350 on winter running gear (ssh, don't tell DH!).

You guys were right about my bike seat height -- I bumped it up one inch and everything was a million times easier. I biked around 3.8 miles Saturday and it was pretty easy, although my hamstrings are a little sore now.

JamieJo
11-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Hey everyone! Thanks for the invite Paperclippy!

So I registered for a mini-tri in June! Boy, do I have my work cut out for my sagging butt!

Completed week 6 day 3 on the C25K but haven't been in a pool to actually swim since high school (maybe earlier!) and don't even own a bike! OUCH!

Yeah, so sorry if this has already been talked about but do you guys train on the bikes in a gym or actually outside? Outside in Wisconsin is kind of out of the question but then how should I be setting the speed and such on the indoor bikes at the gym? I also have to find out the length of the pool at the gym....which brings up another question that I did read a little on in the start of this thread. I don't want to ruin my hair. Should I be wearing a cap? I feel kind of silly wearing a cap but I probably should, hu? Hope this doesn't sound TOO girly, but any advice on hair shampoo to use if you are in a pool often? What kind of caps do you get and where can you purchase them? Sorry ladies...I'm just all excited now. :)

paperclippy
11-05-2008, 10:42 AM
Hi Jamie, welcome!!! :D I hadn't been in a pool to swim since way before high school, but I'm feeling much better about it now. :) I bought all my gear (swimsuit, goggles, swim cap) at Dick's sporting goods. I bought all Speedo brand because I feel like they're pretty reliable. The tri I registered for requires everyone to wear a swim cap so I figured I might as well get started right away to get used to it!

I'm doing a mix of indoor and outdoor for biking. I think as it gets colder I'll be indoors more often on the stationary bike. I'll leave it up to the experienced ladies to answer your questions about biking!

Anne, want to make a deal again? I'm supposed to go to the pool tomorrow evening, how about you?

JamieJo
11-05-2008, 12:58 PM
I'm so nervous about going to the pool. I actually went to the gym I have access to this morning and did week 7 day 1 on C25K. Gosh it felt good today. I was with a gal pal who I always considered in shape and I was all over her with the running. For the first time in my life I could run "better" then someone else. Her asking me questions on how I'm doing it and all that just made it all worth it. I feel like a million bucks today! But yeah...I'm nervous about the pool...getting into a swimsuit, and all of that...I just need to get over it, I know, but it didn't happen today. :(

AnneWonders
11-06-2008, 11:28 PM
Sorry, Jessica, I didn't even read this until just now. I hope you went to the pool. I'm officially declaring this my off-season and am now just committed to running until January. Taking the time off to reacquaint myself with lifting. I'm playing on the bike some too as time permits.

JamieJo, I bike almost exclusively outside, and when I do come in, I'm on a trainer with my road bike--it is a sort of bike treadmill. That way my biomechanics are all pretty constant and the training is directly relevant instead of close. Fewer aches and pains that way. Maybe you and Jessica should make the swim pact. I understand that putting a bit of conditioner on your hair before the swim cap will help protect it, and there are special swimming/tri shampoos that are supposed to help remove chlorine, but I never really bothered. Just cap and standard wash for me. I have short hair though, so if it does get a little damaged, it doesn't last long.

Anne

paperclippy
11-07-2008, 03:29 PM
I didn't make it to the pool last night - I was exhausted from a rough day and my wrists were aching from too much typing at work. :( I will definitely go tomorrow though. Planning on my run tonight! I could use the run to wind down from some of my stress at work.

AnneWonders
11-11-2008, 09:34 AM
I went to my tri club meeting last night. Along with other things, we had a presentation from my coach on swimming technique. Her philosophy is a lot different than most coaches. Breathe often, kick to maintain good body position, and make sure your wrists are always below your elbows throughout your stroke, and the rest will take care of itself. This is for triathlon swimming--pure swim competition is a different beast.

Anyway, there are apparently LOTS of swim technique video clips out there on YouTube. We watched a couple last night.

paperclippy
11-12-2008, 09:43 AM
I watched a couple swim videos on YouTube a few days ago too. One of my friends does tri's and she said for swimming faster freestyle that your stroke should only bring your hand down to your waist before you reach out of the water again. I don't quite get how that works -- I thought you were supposed to bring it all the way to full extension. Maybe that is a difference between pure swim (what I was taught in swim lessons when I was a kid) and tri swimming.

Last Saturday I did my swim and then went upstairs in the gym to do the stationary bike. It was tough but doable (I did 250yard swim and 4mi bike). I doubt I could have gotten off that bike and run more than 10 feet though. Tomorrow night is my next scheduled swim -- I am going to actually go this week! I've been falling down on the job -- my one rest day turned into three. I got in a run this morning though.

AnneWonders
11-13-2008, 05:27 AM
Oh, definitely go for full extension on your stroke. My coach has me work drills for this!

Still sore from lifting on Monday. Ouch! I did run yesterday, and it was unpleasant. I remember now why I quit lifting. It will get better so I'm sticking to it for a bit, but geez!

Anne

paperclippy
11-13-2008, 06:04 PM
:sigh: I have to bail on my Thursday night swim tonight. I've had a massive stomachache since about noon and can't even sit up straight. :p Hopefully I'll be okay to run tomorrow morning.

artichokegirl
11-17-2008, 03:05 AM
Hi, I apologize if this issue has been addressed elsewhere (or if it should go elsewhere), but I have had a hard time figuring out how many calories to eat when I am training and still lose weight while having enough energy. I realize there are charts that set forth how many calories we burn per hour doing each type of exercise (biking, running, swimming, etc.) but I don't think they apply to the extreme situation when someone is training for a marathon or ironman. So I'd love to hear if any of you have had personal experience with this where you have trained for either a 1/2 marathon, marathon or 1/2 ironman, etc., while dieting and how you determined how to balance weight loss and energy? Thanks!

AnneWonders
11-18-2008, 12:11 AM
artichokegirl,

I actually have a hard time training for a long distance endurance event and keeping weight loss going at the same time. I get bad bad cravings for sugary stuff if I try to restrict calories too much. I do OK up to about a half marathon level, and after that, whammo. On the flip side, weight maintenance is practically a no-brainer for me with that kind of training.

Anne

paperclippy
11-18-2008, 01:15 PM
Artichoke, sorry I don't have any advice, I'm not up to that level yet. Good luck though!

Dropping in to say hi . . . I'm super-busy at work, so I haven't been around 3FC much. My triathlon training is going well -- I actually swam 11 laps (=550 yards) at the pool Sunday, including my warmup and cooldown. Yay! I am confident that I can do the 400m swim in my sprint tri in April with no problems.

On the other hand, I'm still taking a 30 second break between laps (although no more breaks between lengths), and I have to alternate different strokes. I've been doing backstroke for warmup and cooldown since it is way easier for me, and then alternating freestyle and breaststroke for my workout. I'll keep working on freestyle -- I'm not sure why it is so much harder for me than breaststroke. A friend of mine who does tri's is going to meet me at the gym Thursday to help me out, yay! As far as I can tell my biggest problem is that my feet tend to sink when I'm doing freestyle.

Run status: I'm currently covering 2.6 miles in 35 minutes, which is a 5 min warmup walk, 25 min run, and 5 min cooldown walk. According to online mapping software, it looks like I'm going 2 miles in the 25 min run. A 12:30 pace is really good for me so I'm happy with that. Now the trick is getting up to the full 5k.

Bike status: I admit, I'm slacking off. I did do 4 miles on the stationary bike a week ago, but I haven't biked since then. Maybe I can actually get outside this weekend if it's not pouring rain again.

artichokegirl
11-18-2008, 08:46 PM
Thanks for your input Wndranne.

AnneWonders
11-21-2008, 11:21 PM
Jessica, sounds like you are doing great on the swimming!

artichokegirl, sorry I couldn't be more help.

I'm dealing with a possible stress fracture now. Just got the knee to cooperate and now this. I'm not amused.

Looks like I may be rethinking my run-focus winter. I'm getting the foot checked out on Wednesday and then probably figuring out something at the Y for swimming. Biking is sometimes outlawed as well, so I'll have to see what they say.

Anne

atenderheart
11-22-2008, 11:10 AM
congrades on the training for your first tri! my family does a tri every year on mothers day at disney ... i unfortantly am the cheering squad the packer unpacker and bike hauler lol... thats what happens when you cant swim and the gym you belong to refuses to teach you lol... but (they are all females that do this race) they all wore unisuits.. they swam in them and ran and biked in them they said that it made it a 100 times better and easier.. i know you didnt want to spend more $$ and just wanted to finish but it really saved them the only thing they had to do in trans was put their helment ,number, and shoes on and away they went... but anyway just wanted to say i think you all are great for doing it and keep up the good work :carrot:

paperclippy
11-22-2008, 02:51 PM
Anne - Oh no! It has really been one thing after another for you. :hug: I hope it's not too bad of a fracture (or that it's not a fracture at all)!

Today's workout: swam 2 warmup laps, 10 laps, 2 cooldown laps, which is 700 yards. Woohoo! Freestyle is still a b*tch for me though. I wasn't able to swim two freestyle laps without having to take a break. 2 miles on the stationary bike and some strengthening finished up my workout. I was falling down on the job this week because I have been working lots of overtime, but hopefully things will calm down this coming week!

RunningRN
11-22-2008, 07:03 PM
I am shopping for a bike- A road bike that I could eventually ride in a tri. Any and all suggestions are welcomed. What bike do you have? Do you love it? Wish you had purchased another brand? Problems with your bike?

AnneWonders
11-25-2008, 10:33 PM
I ride a Specialized, and I like it a lot. I think the important thing though, is to get a bike that fits you and that you are comfortable with. Check out your local bike shop, and tell them what type of riding you'd like to do and they'll help you find something that works for you. They can also show you what adjustments and maintenance you'll need to do. Finally, getting a good saddle is very important and it is a very personal thing--what works for me won't work for you. Some shops have a generous exchange policy on them, since you have to ride a few miles to really know.

Anne

paperclippy
12-01-2008, 11:45 AM
RunningRN, I'm afraid I have no advice as I'm just a beginner and I'm riding my hybrid road/mountain bike still.

Speaking of bike riding, after getting home from Thanksgiving Saturday afternoon, I had a great 5.5-mile bike ride. It's a good thing I went then too, because Sunday morning everything was covered in snow! :eek: This week's plan: 2.25 miles on my runs, 450yd swims, and a 6-mile bike ride.

I had a dream about the triathlon the other day. I dreamed that I had forgotten my bike helmet, and then when I got in the pool for the swim, the pool was only as long as me! :lol:

AnneWonders
12-01-2008, 11:34 PM
I'm here. Bummed about the foot. May be a stress fracture, may be a strain. I can't run for a while.

I got out on my mountain bike this weekend, and remembered that, oh yeah, I'm a coward. But I did more on the way back than the way out, so I suppose that is progress.

I also joined the Y so I can swim, now that the city has closed most of the pools for the winter.

Elliptical tomorrow. Pseudo-running...

Anne

paperclippy
12-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Anne, any news on the foot?

I finally hit a rhythm swimming yesterday. I managed to swim six laps breaststroke without stopping, and four freestyle. It felt great! After I got out of the pool I did 7 miles on the stationary bike.

I only ran once last week, thanks to bad weather mostly. Hopefully this week I'll do better -- planning on a run this afternoon.

artichokegirl
12-20-2008, 04:31 AM
Hi All,

I was reading the threads and wanted to pass along something I learned when training for the triathlon. Maybe I'm naturally bouyant but I hadn't swam in 18 years and went and said "I'll get in the pool and see if I can swim 1 mile." I decided I wasn't going to care how fast i swam or whether I alternated between swimming breast stroke one lap and freestyle the next, etc. and I wasn't going to care if I wanted to take breaks, etc. I was just going to go out and see if I could swim. Well, I did it. It really was just about an hour and a few minutes, and I swam more slowly than if I were walking really slowly. I think there's a lot of pressure to start out swimming fast. I could only swim about 5 minutes if I went fast and freestyle. Anyway, please be careful and don't push yourself too much, but I provide this advice as just one more opinion. For me, it gave me a sense of accomplishment. I thought, I can swim that far now without training just think how good I'll be in a few months. I did the same thing with running. When I tried to run when I was in my early 20s, I'd go out and try to run 8 minute miles and get discouraged because I could barely make it 1/4 mile. Then when I was in my thirties, I decided, "what the heck, I think I'll just go out and walk/run for an hour and see how far I go and enjoy being outside." I started out walking more of the hour than running and slowly worked my way up to an hour of running -- 12+ minute miles but it was an hour of my shuffling along.

artichokegirl
12-20-2008, 04:39 AM
Oh -- another question too, are your triathlons in open water or in pools?

paperclippy
12-21-2008, 10:22 AM
Artichoke, thanks for the advice! I went and swam half a mile yesterday and felt great. The girl in the lane next to me must have lapped me five times, but that's okay. My goal is just to finish, not to be fast.

My triathlon is a beginner's tri so it is in a pool to make it easier for first-timers. If I do okay with this one I'm considering signing up for two more sprint triathlons this summer which are in a reservoir (so it's open water, but no waves).

I think I'm making good progress. I can swim the full distance I need to for my tri (400m) either freestyle or breaststroke, although I can't seem to do it freeestyle without warming up breaststroke first. I can swim twice the distance without any problems getting tired, so I'm really encouraged by that. And to think, I thought swimming would be the hard part! I ran 2.5 miles Friday, which was tough but I did it. My longest bike ride is still 7 miles but I haven't really been working on the biking much.

artichokegirl
12-21-2008, 01:59 PM
Hi Papperclippy,

That's terrific! You're inspiring! You're motivating me to get back into it. I actually haven't been swimming in a year or so and, after writing that post, I went out and wanted to see if I was giving random, unhelpful advice or if it was possibly useful. I am still a little worried that my post will discourage people rather than encourage but I think my point is that swimming doesn't need to be intimidating. We all can probably walk 30 minutes and, so if we all take it really slowly, we all probably can swim on and off for a bit. Another problem I have with both running and swimming is that I sometimes get bored. One way I've dealt with the boredom with swimming is to treat it like yoga or meditation and to focus on my breathing. I breath out when I'm underwater and take a breath when I lift my head (I use to try to do both when I was out of water.) I also try to think about something that's been bothering me in my life and try to think through it. Last night, I was able to swim 35 minutes.

In the summer, my town has open water swims every thursday at our reservoir. I think it is 1/2 a mile??? (the fastest swimmers finish in 18 minutes!) and it is two laps so people can get out after the first lap (1/4 mile). It is a great way to get use to swimming in open water.

paperclippy
01-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Bumping up this thread again. How's everyone doing?

I got a new waterproof watch with a stopwatch and heart rate monitor and I'm excited about it. So far I've learned that when swimming or running my HR gets to about 155-160, which I think is about 80% of my calculated maximum. Haven't biked since getting the watch.

I'm currently running 2.75 miles and swimming about a half mile. Biking is falling off track but I'm confident I'll be able to pick it up. Right now I'm focusing on the running so that I'll be able to run the whole 5k.

I got new running shoes yesterday and it was funny because the girl at the running store asked me if I was training for anything. Turns out she's training for the same tri! Her husband is actually in charge of it.

AnneWonders
01-06-2009, 09:08 AM
Still here. Had a long string of illnesses (mostly the kids) and injury (mostly mine-possible stress fracture), and am just now getting it back together.

Started easing into running again and am on 2nd week of a C25K build up. I'm also lifting weights. I joined the Y so I could swim, but apparently am afraid of the cold.

Still planning to do the Olympic distance tri in late May/early June, but now putting off race specific training until beginning of March so I can get my base built up a bit. Racing on a zero base just isn't a lot of fun.

Anne

paperclippy
01-09-2009, 02:23 PM
Last week I missed both my swims, and when I went swimming last night I could really tell I'd been slacking. :mad: I still made my 1/2 mile swim like I'd planned, but it was tough!

My friend who does tri's who got me into it in the first place is going to start swimming with me, so I'll have a buddy to keep me on track. I'm excited! Plus tomorrow I scheduled myself for a trial run of doing all three events in a row for the first time. I'm planning on a 200m swim, 5 mile bike, and 1.5 mile run. The transitions won't be as "real" because the pool in my gym has a separate area and locker room and everything from the gym, so once I finish my swim I have to get all my stuff out of the locker room and lug it up the stairs to use the stationary bike. Going from bike to run should be pretty "real" except for the fact that I'll be on a stationary bike.

paperclippy
01-12-2009, 10:22 AM
I did it! 200m swim, 5 mile bike, and 1.5 mile run, all in a row. :woohoo: I didn't manage to do the whole swim freestyle although I did more than half of it that way. Of course I got a huge bruise on my foot where I accidentally kicked the lane divider. :mad: It took me 8 mins for the swim portion, 19:30 for the bike (level 6 on stationary bike), and about 19 mins for the run. Total time was about 59:30, since getting from the pool to the stationary bike took me a whopping 12 minutes.

Things I learned:
* Yes, I will be able to put my sports bra on over my swimsuit and be comfortable, so I don't have to bother buying a tri suit or having to totally change in the first transition.
* My heart rate monitoring watch doesn't work well when it's wet on the side that's touching my arm.
* I could probably have done a little more distance than I did, but I don't think I could have done the whole distance of the sprint triathlon.

My plan is to do another trial triathlon at the end of February, which will be 3/4 the distances of the actual one.

AnneWonders
01-12-2009, 11:35 PM
Jessica, you are doing great!

I'm so slacking on the tri front. Biking is killing my knee for some strange reason, and I just got my ears pierced and can't swim for about 4 weeks. I'm back on the running though, in week 3 of a C25K build. Weird how running is fine for the knees and biking isn't.

I'm still hoping to do my June race, but my immediate goals are 1) to get back to 5K running distance since running is the hardest discipline for me, and 2) to get a few more of these postpartum pounds off. I'll decide in March about the June tri.

http://www.trisportsracing.com/

Ah, it is in May this year.

Anne

paperclippy
03-24-2009, 10:10 AM
Okay, I'm reviving this thread in the hopes that now that it's spring there are more people training!

Anne, how is your knee doing? Are you still planning to do the June race?

I'm starting to get really nervous as the tri draws closer. I have a feeling I'll be the very last person to finish! Also the more I think about it the more questions I have. Do I have to bring my own towel or do they provide them? Do I *really* need to know how to fix a flat tire? Is it likely that I'll get one? I have a hybrid mountain/road bike so my tires are pretty tough. Will there be water/sports drinks/food in the transition areas? Are there bathrooms? None of this stuff is on their website, but they are having a first-timers meeting the day before the race so hopefully it will get answered then.

SGeranium
03-29-2009, 03:09 PM
I signed up for my first tri. It's July 5. This week I need to get in the pool. It's been a while. It's my first one, so I just want to finish, but doing a sprint tri has been a goal of mine for a long time. This is the year.

paperclippy
03-30-2009, 10:38 AM
Hi Geranium!!! Thanks for joining the thread! My sprint tri in just under three weeks is my first one ever too.

I've been slacking in my training and I think it's because I'm afraid. If I slack off, and then I do poorly, I can say it was because I didn't train enough. But if I train really hard, and then do poorly anyway, it's just because I suck! :lol: I told DH that next time I come home from work and whine that I don't want to work out he has to just kick me out the door and force me to do it. I did get in a good run over the weekend at least!

WarMaiden
03-31-2009, 06:45 PM
I've committed to training for a sprint triathlon that's to be held in September. A friend asked me to train with her, apparently she's got two other friends doing it as well. I've wanted to do a triathlon for about 15 years...since I was first athletic in my mid-20s. Now is the time! I'm excited but also scared. Working on my training plan and all that now, guess I'll "officially" start training in a couple of weeks. (I've been doing walk/running and biking and strength training for a few months now, but this commitment will necessitate kicking it all up a notch.)

paperclippy
04-01-2009, 10:12 AM
Welcome WarMaiden! beginnertriathlete.com has a lot of useful stuff on it for beginners.

I'm starting to obsess over details at this point. Things like how I need to buy something so I can attach a water bottle to my bike, and whether to fill it with water or gatorade, whether to wear my sports bra on the inside or outside of my swimsuit, whether my bike helmet is up to the standard required or I have to get a new one . . .

Apparently the mayor is firing the shot to start the race! :lol: They sold out the adult tri, which means I think there will be about 300 people there (not including the children's version).

Athenawithheart
04-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Hi everyone! I just joined 3FC, but I've been on beginnertriathlete.com for a couple years (offthegrid is my handle there)!

I love triathlon! I am hoping to continue losing weight so I can do some races longer than sprint distance this year. I've registered for an Olympic distance in August. :o

I've been having ongoing issues with plantar fasciitis, so I'm not running much at this point, but I can swim a mile and bike about 25. I am soooooooooo glad it's spring! I can't wait to get out riding this weekend.

paperclippy
04-02-2009, 11:58 AM
Welcome Athena! Good luck with the Olympic distance! I hope your plantar fasciitis gets better.

My knees have been acting up the past week or so. I didn't run yesterday because they were achy. I think I'm going to call my doctor to get my thyroid checked earlier than usual because in the past it's been the culprit when my knees hurt.

SGeranium
04-04-2009, 06:46 PM
Thyroid / knee connection? Please tell me how they could relate if you don't mind.

I made it to the pool today. I had been putting it off, because I knew it would be humbling. I haven't been in the water to exercise for a while. A long while. It was OK though. I ran the 1/2 mile to the community pool, and spent 20 minutes doing laps. SLOOW laps. More breast stroke than crawl, with a few kickboard laps in there too. I did succeed in moving forward the whole time. :carrot:

I'm reading Transformed by Triathlon: The making of as Improbable Athlete by Jane Booth. Interesting red if you haven't

Athenawithheart
04-04-2009, 07:06 PM
I got up the guts to swim with the master's group this morning, and yowsers are they fast! I think I probably did 2,200-2,400 yards (2,000 was the most on my own), but I had to use fins for about half of the time because they are just too fast. So my first goal is to be able to keep up with them without fins!

It's also tough being the slowest, because I never get a rest. They get to take 10 or 20 second breaks between sets, but by the time I get there, they are leaving.

But they are super nice and very encouraging, and I definitely swam way harder than I would have on my own.

paperclippy
04-06-2009, 09:38 AM
Geranium, I don't know the mechanics of how the thyroid and knees interact, but aching knees can be a symptom of hypothyroidism. A lot of people don't know that it is, and most doctors wouldn't suspect it. I had all sorts of physical therapy treatments for my knees that didn't help at all for years. I had to have a whole lot more symptoms before I got diagnosed with hypothyroidism, but once I got on the right medication my knee pain totally disappeared. Weird! Hypothyroidism can cause all sorts of bizarre symptoms. I think theoretically it has something to do with the thyroid hormones affecting collagen production but I'm not a doctor.

I did mostly breaststroke for the few few months of swimming training I did. It took me a while to be able to do a crawl for more than one lap, but now I'm pretty much equally proficient with the two. I'm still slooooooow but nowhere near as slow as I used to be!

Athena, good job practicing with the masters group! I'm afraid to do any group training because I am so slow in all three events.

Last night I had dinner with the friends who convinced me to sign up for triathlon in the first place. I got to check out their fancy tri bike. I seriously think if I tried to ride one of those things I would just fall over and kill myself! :lol: They are just totally in a different class than I am. The only special gear I own is a good pair of running shoes. I went this weekend to our local triathlon store, but it was also really intimidating. The running store people are really friendly to beginners, but the triathlon store people are like, if you're not going to be spending $3000 on a bike, get out of my store. In any case I picked up a thingy to attach a water bottle to my bike, and a "fuel belt." It's this belt thing that you wear that has a water bottle in it and a little pouch for food.

It's snowing here today. :faint: So I think I'm going to hit the pool tonight, since running or biking would be a bad idea. I'm going to try out wearing my sports bra under my swimsuit during the swim, and work on my swim to bike transition.

paperclippy
04-07-2009, 05:47 PM
The transition practice went pretty well. It took me two and a half minutes from when I unzipped my bag until I was fully dressed for biking. I think that's pretty good, although I'd like to dry off a little more. The hardest part was getting my socks on. Wearing the bra under the swimsuit was totally comfortable.

SGeranium
04-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Are you wearing a wet suit? The transition time worries me too, I'm sure you'll be great.No one expects you to be a professional your first time out. When I went to the pool Saturday, I ran. I didn't want to bring a bag , so I wore my suit and put a change of underpants in my pocket thinking I was super smart and unencumbered. I was so proud of my smartness until I was in the pool and realized I didn't have a towel. Not as smart as I had hoped. Also, running with wetish feet and no socks = a small blister.

AnneWonders
04-07-2009, 08:57 PM
Jessica, I just saw that you bumped the thread. Sorry. With all the BL stuff, I don't subscribe to the Exercise forum in general. I'll catch up tonight.

:wave: to everyone.

Anne

AnneWonders
04-08-2009, 12:43 AM
Okay, I'm reviving this thread in the hopes that now that it's spring there are more people training!

Anne, how is your knee doing? Are you still planning to do the June race?

I'm starting to get really nervous as the tri draws closer. I have a feeling I'll be the very last person to finish! Also the more I think about it the more questions I have. Do I have to bring my own towel or do they provide them? Do I *really* need to know how to fix a flat tire? Is it likely that I'll get one? I have a hybrid mountain/road bike so my tires are pretty tough. Will there be water/sports drinks/food in the transition areas? Are there bathrooms? None of this stuff is on their website, but they are having a first-timers meeting the day before the race so hopefully it will get answered then.

Knee is great! I haven't had any issues for a while. It still feels a bit "off" but moving in the right direction.

I traded out the June race for a shorter one, a sprint plus sort of distance, on my 40th birthday. Should be fun, and I should be adequately trained, which is probably the important thing.

Your Questions:

Yes, bring your own towel. Or two. Look up how to do a transition area on the web, and practice laying it out and going through your stuff a couple times. Most time you can take off your race without really training!

Yes, you really need to learn how to fix a flat. Go to your local bike shop and ask them to help you. Buy some tubes and such and they'll do it. Not especially likely that you'll get one in the race, but you will get one sooner or later and you'll need to be able to take care of yourself. And if you do get one in the race, your race is over if you can't fix it, training or no.

There is usually water or sports drink in the transition areas. Feel free to email the race director if it isn't on the web site. (PM me the web site and I'll see if I can't find something...)

There will almost certainly be bathrooms or port o potties around. Otherwise, it'd just be messy.

Wear the sports bra under your swim suit.

What else...

Your bike helmet is probably ok, but if it is more than a couple years old you should think about replacing it anyway, since foam does break down and get less safe over time.

Anne

AnneWonders
04-08-2009, 12:48 AM
SGeranium Woo hoo! Your first tri! Excellent.

Sarah/Warmaiden Love the username! Do you have a training plan picked out yet?

Athenawithheart Hello again!

OK, I'll try to stay caught up now.

Oh, me. My swim got hosed today because DS (10 months old) was sick. Going mountain biking tomorrow, running Thursday. Friday's road ride was also hosed (this is a technical term) since I have to make up some work since I was out Monday for DS. Running either Saturday or Sunday and will try to swim for 20 min while DD has her swim lesson at the Y.

Training was so much simpler before I had kids.

Anne

Athenawithheart
04-08-2009, 10:09 AM
I wanted to add some of the smaller races may only have water, and they may only have it at the halfway point of the run. And some really small races might not have anything. Better to be prepared by bringing your own -- just in case!

paperclippy
04-08-2009, 10:23 AM
Geranium, I'm not wearing a wet suit -- the swim for my race is in a pool and it's not allowed. I hope your blister gets better!

Anne, glad your knee is feeling better! A tri sounds like a great way to celebrate your 40th birthday! Thanks for the info. I tried to bike to the local bike shop last weekend, but I couldn't find it! It moved from its old location (which was right next to the bike path). Then I rode around with the address in my hand but still couldn't find it. :sigh: Maybe next week I can make it over there in the afternoon.

I think today I crossed the line from being scared about the tri to being excited. My mom sent me an email last night that she found cheap tickets and decided to come out here to cheer me on! (She lives in L.A., I'm in Indianapolis.) It's both good and bad -- good because I'm glad I'll have support, but bad because I wasn't planning on entertaining my mom for the weekend (two weekends in a row of family -- my sister's flying out this weekend). Oh well, I'm sure it will work out okay.

AnneWonders
04-13-2009, 03:14 PM
Jessica, you are almost there! Yay. We are heading off to Boston in a couple days, DH is running the marathon, so I wanted to make sure I popped in and said good luck. I know you are going to do well and have fun!

Anne

SGeranium
04-16-2009, 03:23 PM
Jessica,

Have fun with the race, have fun with your mom. You rock !:carrot:!

Christine

paperclippy
04-16-2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks guys! I'll be back with a race report next week!

paperclippy
04-20-2009, 10:51 AM
I did it!!! :cheer: And I met both my goals: not being last, and finishing in under 2 hours. It was drizzling, but not raining enough to be too dangerous and it was actually really comfortable for the run (I had long pants and a long sleeved shirt).

My total time was 1:49:05, here's the breakdown:
swim: 15:07
T1: 5:29
bike: 45:42
T2: 1:28
run: 41:18

Overall that placed me 565/573.

It turned out that the swim was the hardest part. They divided us up into waves and had one person enter the pool every 5 seconds. We were ordered based on our estimated swim time, but somehow it dissolved into a mass of people in the pool all trying to swim over each other's heads. Luckily I got to get in the pool for a warmup before the actual swim, because the pool I trained in is 3-5 ft deep, and the one the tri was in is 14 feet deep at the deep end. I didn't expect that to freak me out as much as it did.

In any case I started out swimming freestyle like I'd planned but ended up reverting to breaststroke after about 1 1/2 lengths of the pool. When I tried to do freestyle, there were so many people splashing around that when I tried to take a breath I got water splashed into my mouth. Since I was near the back of the pack after the first couple lengths there was enough room for breaststroke and it was easier to breathe. I saw a couple people doing backstroke, and my mom said she saw one guy doing backstroke with a mirror mounted to his goggles so he could see where he was going!

In any case I had planned on about 15 minutes for the swim, so even though it seemed like forever, when I looked at my watch after getting out of the pool I felt better because I was right on time. I must have swam faster than I thought because I ended up resting on the ends of the pool between lengths, which I hadn't planned on, but still ended up at 15 minutes.

The T1 transition wasn't bad. Everyone ended up keeping all their stuff in plastic bags instead of laying it out so that it wouldn't get soaked from the rain, so that made it a little harder to get things out in the right order. I had a moment of panic when I accidentally ran to the wrong row of bikes and couldn't find mine, but then I remembered where it was. It was kind of hectic because the elite people, who had gotten in the pool half an hour before me, were already coming back from their runs, and other people were coming back from the biking, while those of us who were last out of the pool were still trying to find our bikes and get dressed. I felt better when I overheard a couple at the next bike rack over who had also just gotten out of the pool.

The bike course was a little hilly but I was surprised at how easy it felt. I was also surprised at how fast I went -- I finished about 10 minutes faster than I expected. Partially I bet that's because when I was out on training rides I had to stop at stop signs and lights for cars to go by, but they had stopped traffic for us for the race. I managed to pass a few people on the bike so I felt better about my slow swim time. I had one minor issue when I hit a bump going around a turn and suddenly heard this really loud noise coming from my bike. Luckily one of the volunteers saw it and told me that it was my saddlebag hitting the wheel. So I did have to stop for a second to tighten the strap on the bag, but that was my only stop along the route. The fuel belt I'd bought was actually handy -- I was able to drink some gatorade and eat half a clif bar keeping one hand on the handlebars the whole time.

The T2 transition was pretty easy since I all I had to do was drop off my bike and take off my helmet. I was annoyed when I got to the rack though because while the space for my bike was still there, someone had left their duffel bag sitting in the middle of it. So sorry anonymous person, I kicked your bag out of the way! :lol:

I jogged out of the transition area only to find that the beginning of the run was up a really steep hill. My legs felt like lead weights and refused to run up the hill, so I walked up to the top, then started jogging. It took a little over a mile before my legs felt normal again. I could have run faster after that point probably but I decided just to keep the pace I was going. I did pick up the pace once I could see the finish line though!

My mom said I didn't look too tired at the end compared to some of the other people she saw coming through (she said a couple people looked like they were about to have a heart attack!). I definitely could have pushed harder. Next time I will!

The website that has our results from the race lets you sort by anything you want, so I can find out all sorts of interesting stuff. I ended up having only 8 people after me overall, but in each individual area there were more people than that behind me, they just made up for it somewhere else. I am still amazed that the fastest person finished the whole course in 47:10. Wow!

Athenawithheart
04-20-2009, 11:26 AM
congrats, congrats, congrats!

Did you sign up for another race yet?

Athenawithheart
04-20-2009, 11:27 AM
I did a 37 mile bike ride on Saturday - one of my longest rides EVER. I was just riding along, and thought I'd shoot to ride 2 hrs. 30 minutes, but I was not getting tired. And then once I got out, I had to ride back. But now my knee is a little tired, so have to rest a bit.

midwife
04-20-2009, 12:31 PM
Yea, Jessica!!! I had to come read the whole report. WTG!!! :carrot:

paperclippy
04-20-2009, 02:11 PM
Thanks guys!

Athena - :lol: I haven't signed up for another yet, but there's a series of them this summer. I'm thinking I might sign up for the one in July or the one in August. They're an open-water swim so it would be a little different. Great job on your long bike ride!

SGeranium
04-20-2009, 07:36 PM
Well done. I'm sure it feels great to be done.

paperclippy
04-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Geranium, thanks!

Okay guys, I'm ready to sign up for another sprint tri but I can't decide which one. There are three in one of the local parks, one in June, one July, and one August. That series has a 500m swim in the reservoir, then a 10 mile bike and 3 mile run through the park, which can be hilly. There's also one downtown in August, which has a 500m swim in the canal, a 12.5 mile bike, and a 5k run, and is basically totally flat.

I think the one downtown would be fun, but even though their website says it's safe to swim in the canal, that canal is pretty sketchy. I think I only want to sign up for one more for this year. Which should I do?

AnneWonders
04-23-2009, 11:05 AM
Jessica! Huzzah!!

I just got back from Boston, where BillBlueEyes did a real life forum catch-up for me and said YOU DID IT!!

I'll stop in later for lots of animated smilies! You deserve them.

Anne

AnneWonders
04-25-2009, 10:32 AM
Jessica!

:swim::swim::swim::swim::swim::swim::swim:
:bike2::bike2::bike2::bike2::bike2::bike2:
:running::running::running::running::running: :running:
:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:
:congrat::congrat::congrat::congrat::congrat: :congrat:
:hat::hat::hat::hat::hat::hat:
:dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer:
:dance::dance::dance::cb::cb::cb::carrot::carrot: :carrot::broc::broc::broc:

paperclippy
04-27-2009, 10:07 AM
:lol: Thanks Anne!!! :hug: How was your 5k in Boston?

AnneWonders
04-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Jessica, I have my 5K report on the April Runners thread. Hmmm, here (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2713137&postcount=70).

Are you doing another tri? I'm going to lay out my training plan for the next few weeks so I can get ready for the May 25 tri. Tomorrow I'm planning a brick: ride about 6 miles down to pool, swim 1000 or 1500, ride about 10 miles home, over a couple substantial hills.

Anne

paperclippy
04-30-2009, 12:30 PM
Anne, I'm thinking of doing another sprint tri in August but I can't decide which one to do. There is one in a local park with a swim in the reservoir, but the bike and run will probably be hilly. There's also one downtown, which would be flat, but the bike is a couple miles longer, and the swim is in the canal (which they claim is safe to swim in, but it's kind of sketchy).

The downtown one is also doing an olympic distance -- the sprint is basically one loop of everything and the olympic is two loops. I'm not sure if that would make it more confusing. THe one in the park is just a sprint.

Which should I do??

AnneWonders
04-30-2009, 11:43 PM
I'd probably pick the one with the cleaner water! LOL. You can train for hills, but not really for giardia (seriously, they test for that stuff, and races do get canceled from time to time). I wouldn't worry about the Olympic/Sprint combo. Things are usually well marked, and you will study up in advance if that is what you want to do. And there will be people on the course longer, so you will have more company.

Planning a bike/swim/bike brick tomorrow. Basically ride to the pool, swim, and ride home.

Anne

AnneWonders
05-06-2009, 01:24 AM
Anybody still training? My plan for the week is/was:

Sunday: run 3 miles (done, badly)
Monday: swim 1500 yd (5x300, done)
Tuesday: run 3 miles (done, YES!)
Wednesday: mountain bike, 1 hr
Thursday: run 3 miles, fartlek
Friday: road bike, 20 miles
Saturday: REST
Sunday: run, 3.5 miles

Training for a sprint+ distance on 25 May. I need to try on my wetsuit to make sure it still fits, and get my aerobars back on the bike in the next week or so.

Anne

paperclippy
05-06-2009, 10:28 AM
That sounds like a tough week Anne! Good luck on your sprint+!

My training plan is in flux right now. I'm trying again with NRLW and I'm committing to it this time, plus I'm taking a boot camp class, so with a rest day that leaves me only three days a week for tri-related stuff. Plus knowing me, I always end up with more rest days than I planned. :p I'm also trying to lose weight right now so I'm trying to do more metabolism-boosting workouts.

Here's what I did/am doing this week:
Sunday: swim 1000yd (done)
Monday: bootcamp (done)
Tuesday: NRLW 2A (done)
Wednesday: plan is for HIIT run, but my calves are so sore from bootcamp and NRLW I can barely walk so we'll see if it happens or not
Thursday: NRLW 2B
Friday: HIIT run or bike
Saturday: bike or swim (Sunday will be rest, I'm having people over for brunch)

AnneWonders
05-08-2009, 12:55 AM
Where is that rest day????

Anne

paperclippy
05-08-2009, 09:34 AM
Anne, my rest day switches between Saturday and Sunday, depending how busy I am and on the weather! Although like I said, I always end up skipping a workout somewhere too. This week I rested on Wednesday too.

lobon
05-08-2009, 01:08 PM
Someone advised me to post this here...

I have recently gotten into cycling after 10+ years off the bike. My rides are 8-12 miles right now (on a cheap road bike) but due to an insane work schedule I only get out 1-2 times per week. I signed up for a duathlon in June and on a whim I went out and bought clipless pedals/shoes. I've heard it's an adjustment but I really suck at clipping in and out- my balance on the bike isnt great even without the added challenge. Do you think I'll be ready by the race in June or should I finish out my training on the standard pedals? Does a typical race situation require a lot of clipping in and out?

jajabee
05-08-2009, 03:46 PM
I just started my triathlon training!! I haven't chosen a Tri yet, there's a good flat one mid-June that's supposed to be great for beginners, but honestly I'm not sure I'll be able to finish one by then, that's pretty soon! The one I'm really excited about is end of August right here in Portland, but the swim is gonna be tough, and the bike is hilly (and a little longer than most sprint bike legs). Hmmm... maybe I'll be able to find a good beginner course in July sometime.

I signed up for a training program at beginnertriathlete.com, it's a 13 week program based entirely on the duration of the workouts. So far this week I've done a 10 minute swim, 35 minute bike (spinning class, I figured that counts), 20 minute run, and 30 minute run. It's really nice not having to think about what I should do each day. :)

Woo!! I feel like such an athlete. :D

AnneWonders
05-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Anne, my rest day switches between Saturday and Sunday, depending how busy I am and on the weather! Although like I said, I always end up skipping a workout somewhere too. This week I rested on Wednesday too.

Jessica, perhaps I should have said where is MY rest day. I sure need it. Coming up tomorrow.

I had an awesome ride this morning. Did a hill I usually have problems with. 20 miles.

Welcome lobon & jajabee.

lobon, I use clipless on my road bike and love them. Yes, they are an adjustment, but once you make it, it is a really nice thing. I spent a lot of time holding myself in a door clipping in and out to get used to it, some time on a trainer, and then some really easy rides just practicing. Remember to practice with both feet, just in case. If you can train with them, you can race with them, but if you aren't comfortable by race day, I'd keep what you're used to. No need to induce more stress than necessary, and if you are being extra cautious, they won't buy you speed.

jajabee, I know a lot of people who've had a lot of success with beginnertriathlete. A good site to get started with.

Anne

AnneWonders
05-16-2009, 04:04 PM
Preview ride and run of my race route today. It went OK, so I think I'll do reasonably well for my race. One week from Monday. Ack.

Anne

paperclippy
05-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Good luck Anne!!!

My workout schedule is kind of messed up at the moment. This is what's ended up happening the past two weeks:
M - boot camp
T - NRLW (strength)
W - rest
Th - NRLW (strength)
F - rest
Sa - run 5k
Su - bike or swim

W and F were supposed to be HIIT runs with a rest day on the weekend, but for various reasons it ends up not happening (either it's raining out or I'm too sore to run). I think I need to rethink what goes on which days so that I have my planned rest day on either W or F, and figure out how to fit some more running or something in.

I felt like I got a lot of good exercise in this weekend though -- a 5k run, 8.4 mile bike ride, and a 5.4 mile walk. Boot camp tonight. Next week is off from boot camp because of memorial day, then the week after starts doggie boot camp Tuesday nights as well.

AnneWonders
05-24-2009, 06:11 PM
It's tomorrow! Transition bag is packed. Ack!

Anne

paperclippy
05-26-2009, 09:33 AM
Anne, how did it go???????????

AnneWonders
05-26-2009, 09:57 AM
The race features a 1000 m lake swim. I started in the third wave. I had a decent swim, given that my swim training has been sacrificed at the altar of running lately. Reach, swivel, pull, breathe. As usual, the womenís waves are relatively civilized. After I finished passing most of the breast- and backstrokers, and catching a few of the older menís wave stragglers, the young menís wave began to swim by me at about 400 m. They are not so civilized, and while Iíll cut a little slack given the opacity of the lake water, I did have to convince a couple of them that swimming over the top of me was not an option with a swift kick to the whatever. Then one of the young women whacked me hard in the nose. This is seriously much cooler than swimming in a pool!

I had a relatively quick transition given that I had to escape from a 5 year old wetsuit (very stiff) that had adhered to my body with a thick coating of lake goo, spray on sunscreen, body glide and human sweat. I liked the bike course, which was very fast. At one point I looked down at my newly-installed computer reading 24 mph on a relative flat and thought I must have screwed that up somehow, because normally Iíd be turned inside out to hold that. It was right, with a slight downhill and light tailwind helping me out, but I feel like I had an awesome bike. The return was slower with a light headwind and crappy pavement, but I still finished the course easily in under an hour.

I had another relatively fast transition to the run, and managed to hold a decent pace for the first couple of miles, with minimal walking. The last mile was tough, with just enough of an uphill grade (the same stretch I managed 24 mph on the bike but the other direction) and at the end of the race that it started to hurt and I had a couple walk breaks in the end. But my time was reasonable, and the breaks were just breaks and not a break down, and I was happy with my performance in the end. I finished closer to my dream time than my nightmare time and had a great day on the course. I pushed myself, challenged myself, but didnít kill myself. This is the first race in a while Iíve been adequately trained for, and as always, training helps.

Finally, this was a special race for me. I turned 40 on the course, the bike to be specific, and it was a great way to start a new decade.

Anne

paperclippy
05-26-2009, 10:09 AM
:cheer: :woohoo: :swim: :bike: :running:

Great job Anne! And happy birthday!!!

Idealmuse
06-04-2009, 05:14 AM
Anyone else have one coming up soon? I want to hear about it!

I did 2 last year (One Sprint and one Oly) but I backslid a bit over the winter/spring fitness and weight wise. I'm thinking of signing up for just a Sprint for late summer/fall for this year. I won't do as well as last year, but at least it will get me going again.

I'm shooting for a Half for late next year and I think doing the sprint this year will keep my training and moving forward. Too easy to put things off until it's too late otherwise, which is what I did this year.

AnneWonders
06-04-2009, 09:02 AM
I almost always have a race of some sort on my calendar. It helps.

Right now I'm doing a weekly series of aquathlons (swim/run) put on by our local parks and rec department. 800 yd swim with a 3.1 mile run. It is a little toasty this time of year, over 90 for last night's race, but at least I'm wet while I'm running, which helps.

Anne

midwife
06-04-2009, 10:09 AM
Happy Belated Birthday Anne! What a great way to turn 40!

Idealmuse
06-05-2009, 06:04 PM
Well I've started running again as of yesterday and despite it being 6 months since I've ran at all I was still able to go for 10mins and then 3 5 minute runs after that. That doesn't sound fabulous, but I'm 10lbs heavier then when I started learning to run and I couldn't even do a minute back then, so a total of 25mins spaced out with some walking was a pleasant surprise.

I'm thinking of signing up for either Danskin or Chicago Tri sprint later this summer. Kinda depressing since I was upto doing Olys last summer, but I have to ease into it. I'm thinking about the steelhead 70.3 for next summer.

Now I just have to get my butt back on the bike and back to the pool.

Has anyone here used a Tri training group at all? There is one starting up this weekend, but as a not-quite a beginner anymore I'm wondering if I'd get much out of it. Just hesitant because of the $$$.

paperclippy
06-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Good job starting running again Idealmuse! Starting is always the hardest part.

I haven't used any training groups, but I think Anne is part of a triathlon club/group.

I still haven't signed up for the sprint in August I was thinking about. I'm pretty sure I'm going to sign up for it, but I don't know if I'll really train for it so much as just try to keep up my current fitness level. I'm focusing on weight training right now and I think it's really helping me with other sports. Stronger leg muscles means faster running and biking, and stronger arms means faster swimming!

In other news I may convince DH to do it with me, or at least to do one next year with me. He's started couch to 5k for general fitness, since he's been slacking off on working out for oh, the past YEAR (funny because from the time we met 8.5 years ago, he worked out three days a week consistently up until last year!). We grabbed an old bike his mom had for him to ride, not with the intent of triathlon but more so we could go on recreational bike rides together. It's in the shop right now so that it will be rideable again (it sat in a basement for about 10 years, and despite being old, it's $150 to fix it compared to $500 for a new bike). And the final hurdle? Our community pool opened up on Memorial Day and I've convinced him to come swimming with me (by telling him I was afraid to go by myself, which was true).

Yay! I'm excited. At least so far, our pool is totally deserted Sunday mornings, which means it's open for lap swimming instead of full of crazy kids playing marco polo. I need to get DH a pair of goggles though, right now he's just swimming with his head above the water. Yesterday he tried to match my laps. He managed to make it 9 laps but was pretty exhausted. I did 12 but stopped at that because I didn't want to make him feel bad for not being able to swim as much as me (I usually do 20). He is significantly faster than me at freestyle but surprisingly slow at breaststroke.

Okay, I'm writing a book here. I'm just so excited that it's finally warm outside, I can go swimming in a pool that's a 5-minute walk away instead of a 25-minute drive, and it's free, and I found a great new bike route that's really scenic. :D

AnneWonders
06-08-2009, 11:28 PM
Can't talk. Training. :)

Working with my tri coach again. I should see some improvement in my times soon.

I do belong to a tri club, which is great for training partners, information, and discounts from sponsoring businesses (running stores, tri stores). I recommend it.

Anne

Idealmuse
06-08-2009, 11:41 PM
I did end up signing up for the 12 week training group. My first schduled workout was today at the pool (after bring away from the pool for 10 months!) and our first Group workout is tomorrow night. Still havent decided on the oly versus the sprint. I rather do the Oly because it's the one I did last year, but I don't know if I'll be prepared enough by then.

paperclippy
06-16-2009, 10:30 AM
Muse, how is your training going?

I'm still debating about which sprint to sign up for in August. There is one downtown August 15, one in the park August 22, and a women-only one in the park August 29. I'm kind of thinking I'll either do the downtown one or the women-only one but I can't decide. I'm afraid that if I put off signing up any longer I'll end up not doing it.

AnneWonders
06-16-2009, 10:39 AM
Jessica,

Don't overthink it! Pick the one that feels right to you and sign up. You'll have a great race either way.

Anne

fiberlover
06-17-2009, 04:16 PM
Hi all! Jessica pointed me over here. I am training for my first triathlon in July!

It's a shorter one
325 yd swim
12 mile bike
3.25 mile run

I am pretty excited. I actually feel ready now, and have a harder time taking rest days than getting in the workouts. I have been experimenting with different fuels, trying to find the right one that gives me energy without loading up the tummy.

paperclippy
06-17-2009, 05:11 PM
Welcome Fiberlover!! :D

I was bad, I didn't experiment before my tri. I did okay with some powerade before the swim, and then half a clif bar and gatorade during the bike ride. I was too scared to try "gu"! :lol:

paperclippy
06-18-2009, 10:28 AM
Guess what? DH finally got a bike!! The old one we got from his mom is finally out of the shop. I wouldn't call it good as new, but it is rideable. There are some cracks in the casing around some of the cables, and one of his gear indicators doesn't work (the gears work, just not the indicator), but everything else is functional. We went for a spin around the neighborhood last night.

I want to take DH on my favorite bike route this weekend but I'm not sure if it's okay to take him on an 8.4-mile ride his first time out. I think his legs could handle it okay but he's certainly not used to sitting on a bike seat.

fiberlover
06-18-2009, 11:13 PM
Welcome Fiberlover!! :D

I was bad, I didn't experiment before my tri. I did okay with some powerade before the swim, and then half a clif bar and gatorade during the bike ride. I was too scared to try "gu"! :lol:

That Gu scares me! I worry that I will choke on it. I actually have found the best fuel so far has been Stoneyfield yogurt smoothies. They go down easy, and have enough sugar to give me energy, but enough fat and protein to last for a while.

AnneWonders
06-18-2009, 11:48 PM
Lori, those smoothies sound like a great after food, but I'd be puking on that during a race.

Ran 3+ this morning. Getting back on the bike tomorrow after a minor crash last weekend.

Anne

Idealmuse
06-21-2009, 11:08 PM
GU's aren't bad if you like sweet things. I just bought a bunch of them because they were on sale, but I've also tried them before. They gave out Gu's at the Chicago Tri last year.

Speaking of which I finally bought my entry, so I'll be doing the International Distance again. This year is just "To Finish" again because of my weight I don't run all that fast.

Idealmuse
06-21-2009, 11:13 PM
"Muse, how is your training going?"

Paperc -

Thanks for asking. It's going well I'm back to running again. I did 30mins today... fairly slow because I was instructed to stay in zone 3 HR so for me that's about 4.3mph. I like working with the group so far. They don't train as much as I'm used to though so for weight loss purposes I'm adding in walking. I still want to lose another 20 or so before my Tri.

The womens only races are nice because there is less of an intimidation factor, but I'm sure you'll have fun which ever you pick.

SGeranium
06-23-2009, 06:41 PM
My first tri is in a couple of weeks. I feel confident I will be strong enough to finish strong for me, but I'm having trouble with what to wear. That's what I'm stuck on. That's what I can't stop thinking about. I need SUPPORT for the run.

paperclippy
06-24-2009, 12:00 PM
Geranium, for mine I wore a sports bra under my swimsuit, then layered on sweat-wicking pants and a shirt. It was cool and rainy during mine though so I wore long pants. The only thing I know for sure is that if you don't have something covering your thighs, you can get pretty chafed on the bike and run.

I was at the running store getting shoes for DH the other day and I saw their tri shorts and tri tops. I was seriously tempted, but at $75 for just the shorts it wasn't worth it at the time. Still fretting about which August tri to do (if any). I think I might stop going to bootcamp next month and go back to running, biking, and swimming on my non-weights days to prepare.

SGeranium
06-24-2009, 02:48 PM
that's kind of the heart of it. I know what would be the easiest (go to REI, Buy all new stuff), but I feel I have all ready invested so much money in something I haven't even done yet. I'm over thinking it I suppose. Congrats on getting your DH on the bike. Mine is really athletic, but it's sometimes hard for me to get him to join me. He is extra obsessed with mountaineering lately, so it's hard for me to pull him into a simple ride or run when he could be off climbing mountains. I think I talked him into an 8k fun run at the end of July though. That should be , well fun......

paperclippy
06-24-2009, 05:46 PM
That's exactly it, Geranium. I spent so much money on running shoes, gear for winter training, bike supplies, and swim gear before the triathlon that it felt like it would be ridiculous to spend another $150 on clothes!

Idealmuse
06-25-2009, 02:50 AM
SGeranium those Danksin Tri-suits are pretty flexible as far as sizing. I wore mine last summer and lost about 35-40lbs while training and was only starting to get to a point were it seemed a bit big. If you buy one size down it will probably last awhile.

Other then that you could wear sports bras that look less like bras and then just slip on a shirt for the bike/run over top.

For both my Tris I've just done a tri-top and capri running pants (also danskin) going under the wetsuit and threw a shirt over the top for the bike/run. I only use my tri-suit to swim in practice as little sense as that makes, and the capris make me more comfortable since my legs sag because of my weight loss.

SGeranium
06-25-2009, 01:43 PM
moments after I order what I think will be the missing pieces of my outfit I checked the race website and find it's been delayed. FOR THREE MONTHS. I couldn't be more disappointed. I've been working towards this goal for months and I'm ready to go. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Nothing to do but carry on I suppose, chin up and all that. I'm going to spend some time trying to find a race or two to fill in the gap and keep it interesting.

Idealmuse
06-27-2009, 04:18 AM
That sucks was that the Danskin/Trek or whatever they are calling it these days (I know they are 2 different races now)

At least you have more time to train!

AnneWonders
06-27-2009, 12:30 PM
Hey triathletes!

Body Glide. Lots and lots of Body Glide. Everywhere. For chafing. Don't be shy with the stuff.

As life gets busy, I post less. Sorry. Still training hard for the big race in October. My bike is really improving to pre-kid levels and my swim is back where it should be too. If only I could get it together running. I'm hoping it is the heat. It's often 80 deg at 5 am here this time of year, and I could just be feeling that.

Anne

SGeranium
06-27-2009, 03:29 PM
The Danskin is impossible to get into here. I need to change my schedule around a bit. What do your training schedules look like?

Idealmuse
06-28-2009, 02:24 AM
Body Glide: Does it dry out? I bought some last year and there doesn't seem to be much "glide" to it. I put it on my neck for the wetsuit and I wasn't sure it was even rubbing on. Wondering if I just bought a bad one or its properties are just subtle. Someone mentioned they have it in a gel now too or something?

Training: Not sure if you were asking me, but mine is dictated by the tri group I joined. She has us mostly doing 2x each sport for 45mins-1hr a day. Way less then I was doing last summer on my 3x Olympic plan (from beginner triathlete.com) I also was using more intense training zones. When she wants us to "Run" in Heart rate zone 2 I have to walk to keep my HR that low. :(

SGeranium
06-30-2009, 05:26 PM
I was talking to anyone interested in sharing:). I got off track with the sprint plan I was doing from beginnertriathlete.com. I just having a hard time fitting in everything I want to fit in. I was doing double workouts most days so I could fit in the extras I wanted too, but time is a challenge right now. Plus right now I really enjoy running the most, so I get antsy to do it more than 2x a week, so I add it in as a second work out and feel tiiiiiiired. Do you all do Yoga and/ or weight train in additon to 2x a week? I'm still trying to figure it out.

Christine

paperclippy
06-30-2009, 06:01 PM
I'm trying to figure out a new workout schedule myself. When I was training for the April sprint, I ran MWF, swam TSa (sometimes only one or the other), and biked ThSa (usually only one of those days). But I had a lot of my workouts cancelled because of springtime rain.

Lately I've been weight training TTh, doing bootcamp MT, and swimming or biking Su, and occasionally something on W, F, or Sa. Bootcamp is ending though and I'm still eyeing those August sprints.

I'm thinking my new schedule will be something like this:
M - run
T - weight training, maybe swim
W - run
Th - weight training, maybe swim
F - rest
Sa - swim and/or bike
Su - swim and/or bike

I don't really know. I've been swimming in my neighborhood pool lately which is usually full of little kids so it's hard to do laps. Sunday mornings it is pretty much deserted so that's my ideal time for swimming. OTOH swimming is my favorite to do after weight training because my legs cramp up too much biking or running. I am open to suggestions! I do my weight training at lunchtime at work so my evening is free for another workout.

Idealmuse
06-30-2009, 06:16 PM
"Do you all do Yoga and/ or weight train in additon to 2x a week? I'm still trying to figure it out"

No yoga - She does have us "strength train" but to be honest I'm finding it not that useful. We do it from worksheets which I find myself fumbling around and reading more then doing. I was thinking of just forgoing those and just picking out a strength training DVD to do instead. I have the Chalean Extreme DVDs which I'd love to do but I think it would be too much/too often on top of the tri training so I'm not sure what would be a good replacement.

Sucks that you can't train that well in the pool. Mine is a university pool with lots of swim lanes and has a community membership.

I like the BT plans, I'll probably follow one for my 1/2 IM I want to train for next summer.

fiberlover
06-30-2009, 07:14 PM
Hi everyone! I got my trisuit at the end of last week and I love it! It's going to be great for just our long bike rides when I am done with this triathlon. I got it here: Paragon Sports (http://www.paragonsports.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=5116565&storeId=10551&catalogId=10051&langId=-1)
Only $67.50 with free shipping! :woohoo: I wore it biking on Saturday and then for a swim and it was very comfortable and I think it reduced drag in the water.
My tri is on the 12th of July. I think I am going to do 1 or 2 more bricks between now and the weekend, then take it easy and do lots of stretching next week.

Any good hints on what to put in my transition bag from swim to bike?

Idealmuse
07-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Fiber - besides the obvious - Bike helmet, Sunglasses, Bike shoes, Socks, and liquids...

I'd make sure you have at least some gels or something similar... and advil just incase. I also like to have chapstick. Try doing a search on some of the tri sites for suggested packing lists you'll get tons of suggestions.

And make sure you remember to remove the bike helmet for t2... In my first tri I ran off wearing it before a friend noticed shortly after I crossed the mats. D'oh! but makes for a good newbie story. :)

paperclippy
07-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Fiberlover!!! I just saw on the maintainers thread that you did your triathlon!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!! :carrot: :cb: :broc: :celebrate: :swim: :bike2: :running: :bravo: :congrat:

paperclippy
07-27-2009, 12:08 PM
After much agonizing I finally signed up for the downtown sprint triathlon on August 16th. The deciding factor ended up being that I tried swimming in the reservoir and got freaked out, and tried biking the hills in the park and got exhausted, so I figured I was better off saving that more challenging course for next year.

Now I just need to figure out my training plan for the next couple weeks until the tri. I haven't done any bricks since the last triathlon so that will probably be on my plate soon.

Idealmuse
07-29-2009, 10:10 PM
Paper - Good luck!!!

I think I should have stuck with a sprint this year also... I signed up for the Oly because it's what I did last year, but I've been having a hard time getting my run fitness to match last season (Stupid Stupid me for taking too much time off!!) and smart me then signed up for a 15k on top of that Nov 1st of which i'll likely be dead last!

4 1/2 weeks and counting for mine....

(Off to hop of the bike trainer!)

paperclippy
08-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Muse, how is your training going? I saw in your sig you're planning a half IM next year - wow! A friend of mine just did one of those (the Vineman). I doubt I'll personally ever progress past sprint distance, just because of the running.

I need some advice from you ladies. My sprint is coming up next weekend. There are two problems:

1) I stupidly didn't check my calendar and scheduled it during TOM. I hate hate hate tampons. Any advice? I could stack my BC to skip my period but I really hate doing that too.

2) We're expecting temps in the upper 80's and high humidity for race day, plus there is little shade on the course (also a potential for thunderstorms, but I imagine it would be cancelled if that happened). My last race was in April and it was cool (60 degrees) and rainy. I had a Clif bar in my fuel belt and it was fine. I imagine it would melt into gooey nothingness at 86 degrees and full sun. What's a good alternate energy bar that won't melt? I admit, I'm still afraid of GU.

SGeranium
08-07-2009, 02:27 PM
I think GU and others also makes gummy bear like energy bits. I tried them once and they were OK. The power bar will probably still be OK though, just softer. I ate a lost in the hot car protein bar last week when it was in the 90s. It was a little sticky, but it still did the trick ;). I 'm drifting aimlessly the last couple of weeks. I need to refine my plan. DH and I have a big hike scheduled for Sunday, I hope I'm up for it, last time I went hiking with him I bit off way more than I could chew. He's nuts........

Idealmuse
08-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Muse, how is your training going? I saw in your sig you're planning a half IM next year - wow!

1) I stupidly didn't check my calendar and scheduled it during TOM. I hate hate hate tampons. Any advice? I could stack my BC to skip my period but I really hate doing that too.

2)What's a good alternate energy bar that won't melt? I admit, I'm still afraid of GU.

Well That's the plan either a half or full (which would be insane I know) but we'll see how things go. My run fitness isn't coming back as quick as I'd like. I can run it's just sllllllloooowwwwww.

Not sure about TOM. Mine looks like it will hit during my race too. If your doc thinks its okay to skip it with BC it might be your best option as racing otherwise w/o a tamp it's like racing with a wet diaper.

I agree with switching to the gummies. Might be slightly stick but won't melt... or a Gu packet. I like to use the shot blocks that cliff makes or the luna moons. Your race is short though you might be able to get away with just liquid nutrition.

paperclippy
08-07-2009, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys! Muse, if I could just find a tampon that was comfortable I wouldn't have a problem with it. The other thing I'm thinking about doing is taking out my Nuvaring a day or two early so that my period might be over by next Sunday. Not sure how that affects its contraceptive powers though, I guess I should check the labeling.

Idealmuse
08-13-2009, 02:11 PM
Good Luck this weekend PaperC! Let us know how it went.

paperclippy
08-13-2009, 03:16 PM
Thanks Muse! I'm a little freaked out at the moment because I popped a bike tire and need to fix it. :p I have all the equipment, the guy at the store showed me how to do it, but I'm still afraid I'll do it wrong and go flat in the middle of the race! My plan is to fix it tonight and go for a ride, and if it's flat again tomorrow afternoon take it to the shop and let the pros do it.

SGeranium
08-14-2009, 05:59 PM
It's always good to have a back up plan. Be strong and we'll need an updaye after.

C

paperclippy
08-17-2009, 10:16 AM
Phew, that race was a killer! So after my last post, I did replace my tire. Then I rode it to the bike shop to buy more tubes, and on the way there my spoke protector broke. :dizzy: In any case they fixed it for me and I got it back just in time on Saturday.

Saturday night I had to go to a wedding. Not the best activity the night before a race since the food was not very controlled at all. I did not eat very well. However, we did manage to escape the wedding at 8:30 so I was in bed by 10:00. Woke up at 5:00, had a bit of a mess trying to figure out what to eat for breakfast (yeah, I failed at planning -- I ended up with oatmeal, milk, and some fruit), and had to deal with my stomach being kind of upset about the previous night's food. :p

Anyway we made it downtown just in time to catch the tail end of the pre-race meeting (nothing new, just the usual rules). I forgot to bring my camera, sadly, but we took some pics with my cell phone. After getting set up in the transition area I waited in an extremely long line for the bathroom, then headed out to find the starting line. It was a point-to-point swim so the starting line was a couple blocks away. We got there around 7:25 so we had plenty of time to spare. The Olympic distance started at 7:30 and the sprint couldn't start until all the Olympic swimmers had passed our starting line, plus then I was in one of the last waves so I had even longer to wait. DH and I killed time by looking for another bathroom (which we found, eventually, in a hotel, though the receptionist probably thought I was nuts coming in there in a swimsuit). It was 88 degrees out and sunny so I slathered on the sunblock, and the 78-degree water was pleasantly cool.

In any case my time finally came up for the swim. The canal wasn't really any dirtier than a lake or river (there are fish in it) so it wasn't bad, plus it was only 4 feet deep. I felt like I did pretty well on the swim. I didn't have to stop to rest at all, I swam the whole way. DH walked along the sidewalk next to me so every time I turned my head to breathe I could see him there, which was nice. I got kicked in the face at one point and got some water into my goggles, but nothing bad. According to my watch I did about 20 minutes for the swim (500m) which is about what I had expected, maybe a little longer. DH said that I was one of the few people in my wave who actually swam the whole way -- others kind of pretended to swim while walking along the bottom. :p Against the rules!

In any case I got out of the swim and over to my bike relatively quickly, considering my bike was all the way on the other side of the transition area. No problems with T1, and I got out on the bike course. The course was nice enough, although there were a couple railroad tracks. I got passed by a few people and passed a few people (mostly people on their second lap for the Olympic distance). I have to say, the previous sprint I did had a 10-mile bike and this one was 12.5, and those last 2.5 miles were really tough! I trained for it, but still. There was a hill right at the end that was exhausting. I estimate my time for the bike ride at about an hour but I didn't check my watch when I was leaving from T1 so I'm not totally sure. I'll know when they post the official times online.

During the bike I intended to do the same for nutrition that I did last time -- half a clif bar and some gatorade, but I was hungry and ended up eating the whole bar. Probably a mistake. When I started the run my stomach started cramping up, and after about a mile I had to start walking. I was running so slowly at that point that I was walking faster than I was running anyway, but I was still annoyed about it. I ended up walking a bit more than the middle mile of the run, then running the last 3/4 mile or so. Crossed the finish line at 2:20 on my watch.

Things I learned from this time around:
1) It's harder to do a triathlon when it's 88 degrees and sunny than it is when it's 60 degrees and cloudy.
2) Don't eat so much.
3) Don't go to a wedding the night before.
4) I need to work on swimming faster (my endurance is fine, I'm just super-slow).
5) I need to work on my running endurance.

It was a good experience overall, and I'm glad I did it. Swimming in the canal was fun, and the bike ride was scenic (the halfway point was at the velodrome and there were people doing all sorts of bike tricks in there). I got a good workout. Now I'm just waiting for the official results (I was too tired to stick around at the event until they posted mine).

Of course now my workout schedule is thrown off -- I was going to do weight lifting tomorrow but I'm pretty darn sore today!

midwife
08-17-2009, 10:27 AM
Congrats Jessica!!!! :bravo: :carrot:

AnneWonders
08-17-2009, 10:48 AM
Way to go Jessica!!

paperclippy
08-17-2009, 11:48 AM
Thanks guys! They just posted the results, but they make no sense. This is what it says for me:

Overall Rank 456/463
Swim 23:21.2
Swim rank 463 (however, someone else has a swim rank of 468, but there were only 463 total people?)
T1: 0:00.0 (???)
Bike: 3:00:44.1 (??????)
Bike rank 462
T2: 1:41.4
Run: 0:47:30.7
Run rank 436
Final time 2:19:56.3

Something is screwy with their timing. The final time is correct since it matches my wristwatch within 30 seconds. The run time and T2 time are probably correct. I'm not sure where the T1 time went, and I have no idea where that number for bike time comes from. Working backwards I'd guess my bike time was actually 1:07:24 but that might include part of T1 as well.

SGeranium
08-17-2009, 03:39 PM
I'll bet 88 degrees is different. I hate running when I'm hot. I'm a total baby about it...... It's great that you did it, good for you.

paperclippy
08-25-2009, 01:03 PM
The race guys finally got the "final" results put together and these make much more sense. Here's the run down:
total rank 460/467
swim 23:21.2 (rank 464)
T1 2:05.0 (rank 111)
bike 1:05:17.9 (rank 453)
T2 1:41.4 (rank 235)
run 47:30.7 (rank 459)
total 2:19:56.3

I'm surprised T1 was so short -- that's twice as fast as I did it last time. Maybe because my bike was closer to the bike out?

In any case I have a question for you guys. How do I learn to swim faster? I can swim for a long time, but I am SUPER slow. What techniques can I use to improve my speed? Should I do a session with a swim instructor? Does interval training work for swimming too?

Idealmuse
08-25-2009, 02:35 PM
Paper -

From the advice I've gotten from others (I swim slowish too) they say lessons are the best way to go. A lot of people like the Ti swimming books/DVD too but personal instruction will get you swimming better faster.

It's mostly about swim form. (Although I've discovered a bit of upper body strength training certainly doesn't hurt!) Also swimming more once you get better form... but if you don't have good form lots of swimming won't get you anywhere.

I'm probably going to be taking a class this fall and if I can find a few private lessons that aren't too pricey I'll do that too.

Congrats on the Tri! Mine is Sunday and I'm still a little worried about my durability for the run. I'm 15+ lbs more then I was when I did this race last summer. Sigh.

paperclippy
08-25-2009, 02:53 PM
Thanks Muse, I'll check into swim coaching. I'm not sure what sort of private lessons my local pool does for adults so I guess I'll see how much it costs.

Good luck on your race!!! I can't wait to hear your race report! I'm sure you'll do great!

SGeranium
08-25-2009, 05:12 PM
but speed drills help too. I have the "Total Immersion" dvd and I have been trying out some stuff. It's hard to do on your own. How you feel in the water isn't necessarily where you are in the water KWIM. Look at your pool for a masters swim class. They are usually pretty cheep, and will work on form and speed drills a bit. Think swim team for grownups, but the one I go to has MANY swimming levels.

Good luck Idealmuse, Be strong and have fun.

paperclippy
08-27-2009, 10:31 AM
Looks like my local pool/parks dept. offers adult swim lessons for "beginning and intermediate" swimmers. It's $65 for 8 classes (once a week). I think that sounds like a good price, what do you think? The only problem is that it's not exactly at a great time (Saturdays at noon) and I will be out of town during the first class.

SGeranium
08-27-2009, 09:43 PM
that's a great price. plus it will open up the swimming world more for you.

I need to take a class in how to keep the water out of my ears and sinuses so I can hear and breath thru my nose again. I have apparently become allergic to pool chemicals...

Idealmuse
09-09-2009, 02:28 AM
Hi girls - The race went well! It was a beautiful cool day almost like it was fall already. Despite being slightly heavier and it being more windy I only lost 8 minutes from last year. I did have to switch to walk/run after mile 2 though, but that strategy seemed to work well. I had a great time.

What's everyone have going on for the rest of the year now that things are winding down?

SGeranium
09-09-2009, 01:11 PM
I was just thinking about you and how your race went. Congratulations. Job well done. I bet it feels great to have that checked off. Mine is in a week and a half. September 20th. I'm a little nervous about the first time details, but not the actual work part.

As for the off season. I already signed up for a November 10k trail run. The distance will be fine, but I currently only run FLAT. I have to drive to get it too(I'm Lame) . I need to get over my fear of running uphill. I live on top of a big one. I will search out more race options. I like having a goal date to keep me focused. Next season I want to step up to oly, and do the Seattle to Portland ride. This is only going to work if I maintain/ expand my current endurance level. Seattle is very rarely snowy and never as cold and windy as Chicago. I'm from Central WI and Milwaukee originally. I couldn't manage outdoors in the cold of it. I think my lungs would explode. Lovely to look at, hard to breath.

What are your plans? Are you still thinking of trying a HIM?

Idealmuse
09-09-2009, 11:04 PM
Mine is in a week and a half. September 20th. I'm a little nervous about the first time details, but not the actual work part.
I need to get over my fear of running uphill. I live on top of a big one. I will search out more race options. I like having a goal date to keep me focused. Next season I want to step up to oly, and do the Seattle to Portland ride. This is only going to work if I maintain/ expand my current endurance level. Seattle is very rarely snowy and never as cold and windy as Chicago. I'm from Central WI and Milwaukee originally. I couldn't manage outdoors in the cold of it. I think my lungs would explode. Lovely to look at, hard to breath.
What are your plans? Are you still thinking of trying a HIM?

Please let us know how it goes. First time is always the most exciting if not nerve wracking.

Hills while not my friend aren't that bad and they are good for improving your fitness level. My group had us doing hill repeats which was basically running up a little hill and back down... waiting till our HR lowered and then repeat. You don't have to run up a big long hill. I hate hills though. I'm still too heavy so I can't do too many hill repeats before wanting to stop.

Maintain if you can. Having to back track are re-gain fitness is a bit discouraging. I spent all summer trying to get back where I was last summer. No breaks for me this year.

Winter can be tedious but I have a treadmill and a bike trainer and I'll have the university pool so it should be easy enough to keep up.

I'm definately doing at least a half Ironman. I really really really am tempted to sign up for the full Ironman Wisconsin. It's not really a smart idea and I would risk not making the cut-off times even with a year of training, but I'm having a hard time talking myself out of it. Ideally I should be aiming for the half next summer and not take on too much too soon, but... sigh. We'll see. Maybe I'll shake out this insane idea before sign ups on Monday. (It sells out quickly if it makes it online at all)

Idealmuse
09-18-2009, 11:09 PM
Good Luck this weekend SGeranium!!! Tell us how it went.

Since fall is coming I guess there won't be much activity in our quiet little thread, but my mind is still pretty focused on training at the moment as I went a little nutty and signed up for Ironman Wisconsin. It's going to be a long interesting year.

Weight loss is going to be focused on extra hard this fall as I want to start off training in February as near to goal weight as I can manage. Training for these kind of things is hard enough without hauling around an extra 50lbs.

Working out what my base training schedule will be for this winter.

paperclippy
09-19-2009, 10:16 AM
Muse, great job on your race! Sorry I'm a little late posting. Good luck with IM training!

Geranium, did you do your race yet? How did it go?

At the moment I'm focusing on weight loss rather than training, but I am trying to get my running better. I'm looking for a Turkey Trot 5k to sign up for but haven't found one yet. I haven't gotten around to signing up for the swimming lessons yet -- I'll go do it right now. Hopefully the class isn't already full!

SGeranium
09-21-2009, 12:45 AM
All and all I felt pretty strong. Sally Edwards was the spokesperson, and she was as delightful and motivating as I had heard she was. I had a total panic attack during the swim, really only 10 minutes into it. I couldn't even breast stroke, I had to flip over and just float on my back for what seemed like forever, but really couldn't have been all that long. I was eventually able to pull myself together and continue. The rest went well. I underestimated the bike, it was not as flat as I was led to believe..... I had a great time after the panic attack. My first goal was to finish, check. My second goal was to run the run, check. My time estimate was 2.15 and I finished 2.05ish. I'm pleased and proud. I spent the entire race behind two women who were together. passing this way and that, but always very close. I told my Dh and he said I should have given them my number, he's cute to think to make dates for me. It seemed to go so fast. The day was lovely, Seattle is lovely, all the women were really great. It was an awesome introduction to the sport.

SGeranium
09-21-2009, 01:06 AM
Muse : A little nutty????? Ironman!!!! I need to hear all about that. Good luck . It's in Madison right. I love Madison. If we ever move back to WI it will be to Madison or the Madison area . I would love to hear about IM training plans and progression. WOW WOW WOW

Clippy : I hear you on the weight loss concentration. After my celebratory quiche and wine tonight I'm also am in weight lose mode as I haven't lost an ounce months.

paperclippy
09-21-2009, 10:30 AM
Great job Geranium!!!! :cheer: :woohoo: :swim: :bike: :running:

SGeranium
09-21-2009, 07:11 PM
My official time was 1:57:33. I 'm feeling pretty proud of my overweight, middle aged, ex smoker body today. My T1 was nearly five minutes!!! What the heck was I doing?? My swim was 28 minutes flat for 800m. I couldn't have been floating out there for the half an hour it felt like gripped in panic/ emotionally melting down. Wierd

Idealmuse
09-22-2009, 12:13 AM
SGeranium yeah Madison... I'll keep you guys updated. I'll probably post a race report in a thread of it's own no matter if I make it or not. I feel like it's important to pass on to let people know that anything is possible. Hopefully I don't embarrass myself. I'll likely do a Half before it sometime mid-summer as a "training" race.

GREAT job on your Tri. 1:57 is fantastic! I love when your time is better then expected. Sweet of your husband to want to fix you up. Hah! I have another friend who did the race there too and she had a great time.

I had a nice 6.3 mile run today. :) I'm trying to run every-other day in prep for my Nov race.

paperclippy
09-22-2009, 10:08 AM
Great time Geranium! And great job on the swim!

I finally got around to going to sign up for the swim class and found out that it is already full. :( They have an 8am section that still has space, but honestly I don't want to get out of bed that early on Saturdays (it's a 30 min drive to the pool). I might contact them about private lessons, or I might just wait and see if they're going to offer another session of adult lessons in the spring. That would probably be ideal in any case since I'm focusing on weight loss and running at the moment.

Idealmuse
10-11-2009, 04:42 PM
How's fall going ladies? Anyone still training?

I signed up for a swim class that is run by a masters program that is for local-tri club members starting next weekend, so I'll be doing that for the next 8 weeks. Still running. I'm up to 7.5 miles now so I feel OK about the 15k in a few weeks.

I wish I could get more comfortable on my bike trainer I can't seem to get my backside to not hurt! I can ride for hours outside but an hour on the trainer? Yuck.

SGeranium
10-11-2009, 05:49 PM
I have been very inconsistent with my training for the last few weeks. I need a club or a challenge or something to help get me on task again. I refuse to start over. A spin and running there, I haven't been in the water for weeks. ughhh. I have a 10k I'm thinking about doing OCT 31 to help prepare for the 10 k trail run I signed up for Nov 15 that was supposed to help me get over my fear of hills. I am making some progress there so that's good. Now instead of driving my car to run where it's totally flat, I drive my car to run where it's mild to moderately hilly LOL. I live on top of a BIG hill surrounded buy other BIG BIG hills.... My DH started running a little over a month ago and he is rockin it. He's very athletic and had a strong hiking big elevations background so of course it took him two minutes to pass me by. He wants to run an under 4 hour marathon next year and I think he'll do it first time out. For him it's in the genes, his dad was an ultra runner for years. It's great to run with him though, it's a nice thing to share. I had my first 6 mile run yesterday, I was happy with the mileage, but the whole thing felt awful. I can't find my pace for running solo. I need to spend some treadmill time so I can monitor my speed,but the weather is so breathtakingly perfect for outdoor sports that I can't bring myself to exercise indoors. My kingdom for a garmin. To fast or to slow something always hurting, never zen.

So miss Muse I have no advice on the bike trainer, I use the spin bikes at the gym if I have to be indoors. I'm also not putting up your kind of mileage either. It's curious that it would hurt more....

It was Chicago Marathon weekend this weekend right. I meant to watch some coverage.

Hopefully everyone else training is more organized and zen like than mine

Christine

paperclippy
10-12-2009, 02:06 PM
I've been working out, but not "training" per se. Trying to get off 2008's holiday weight before I put on 2009's. I've been running intervals 3x/week, but only about 1.75 miles each time. Last week was kind of a wash (literally) since it was raining most days. Doing strength training 2x/week. I checked out a book on triathlons from the library to try to get some ideas for how to swim faster, then went and did a swim workout yesterday. I think it was my first time in the pool in a month. I'd planned on doing a bike ride too but didn't have time.

Tonight, a run (at least, it looks like it's not going to rain...). Maybe I'll kick it up a notch and aim for 2 miles of intervals.

LOL Geranium, my DH started running with c25k a few months ago and very quickly was doing a 7 minute mile, and running 4-6 miles in a go. Then of course he hurt himself by overdoing it again and is currently in the "I'm injured, so I will never run again" mentality. :rolleyes: More I think it's that he hasn't bought winter running gear and it's now too cold to go with shorts and a t-shirt, so he's making excuses. I tried to get him to go shopping yesterday but he opted for gardening instead.

paperclippy
10-13-2009, 05:13 PM
Woohoo! 2 miles in 23:07. Go me! I think that's the fastest I've ever done 2 miles. I ran the first mile straight in 11:16, then did intervals for the second mile.

SGeranium
10-16-2009, 12:59 PM
It's exciting to watch your speed decrease.

I decided to add yoga to my schedule twice a week and boy howdy I'm still sore three days later. I may be the least flexible person on the planet with a very week core .... So yoga it is.

Idealmuse
10-21-2009, 09:01 PM
SGeranium - Yeah it was the marathon that weekend - I was considering going down to volunteer. I probably should have.

paperclippy - Woo 23 is awesome! That's about where I am too. I can do 5+mph for an hour, but if I want to run any longer then that I have to slow down to more like 4.7 - I can go about 8/9 miles that speed.

I joined a swim class run by one of the masters group here in town. (edit to add I already posted that didn't I? Oops!) So far the first class was good. Nothing new leaned but it was great to get things explained in a slightly different way and get a fresh pair of eyes.

paperclippy
10-26-2009, 10:05 AM
Funny how several days after my previous post, I blasted my 2 mile PR again! 21:52 this time, 10:30 for the first mile. :woohoo: :running: Of course I can only keep up that pace for 2 miles. I think I'll work on that distance for a couple weeks then bump it up again.

DH has suddenly gotten super into running since we spent $$$$ on winter gear for him. He checked out several books on running from the library and now has all sorts of plans. Of course while I was super excited about my 21:52 2-miler, he ran a 5k in 23 minutes and complained that he was "slow." :rolleyes:

Muse, how's the swim class going?

SGeranium
10-26-2009, 02:56 PM
You keep running strong and put your DH blinders on when you need to. It's great that he is running too and it's fun/ motivating to share as a couple, but plezzzzzzzzzzz with your slow 23 m 5K Mr I've been a running for all of seven minutes. LOL My, I've been running two whole months, Dh did his 9 mile long run on Sat and told me hasn't really felt like he's been challenged yet. OK!!!???!!!. I told him he will always get supportive loving wife comments, encouragement, etc first, then he gets semi competitive roommate extreme eye roll, sarcastic comments. We are good with that.

Muse you have your 15k coming up soon, no? How are you feeling? Is this your longest running only event?

I am settling into a new routine finally. I found a great spin teacher at my gym. She rides outside and has for a while on a team. She teaches spin as a supplement to outdoor riding , not just as a fat burner. I heard she will invite the class out on group rides for free and fun a couple of times a month. I don't have much in the way of riding skill or gear smarts. I have a seemingly endless list of needs so whatever I can get on the cheap gets me stoked.

Do either of you have a specific plan for weight loss? This is where I need to focus my attention now. I need to change it up, but I'm not sure of how to do it. Eat less and more more has taken me as far as it can with out further refinements.

Idealmuse
10-27-2009, 02:27 AM
My husband isn't and hasn't ever been a runner, but he did start walking on my treadmill about 2 months ago and he's lost about 10-15 pounds so far. I don't know if he will ever run, but you never know.

SGeranium - Yeah the race is next weekend and it will be my first running only event and therefore longest. Hehe. I plan on doing a half mary in the spring, but I haven't picked out which race yet. I'm feeling pretty good about it I did a 9mi run tonight so I know I can do the distance just not very fast!

Weight loss: I just use my bodybugg which is basically just calorie counting and working on your deficit. (I try and aim for 1000 or so a day) so yeah it's basically the same old same old, but I do find having it graphed out helps a whole lot. It's really interesting to see how little you burn doing some things and how your overall daily activity can really boost your overall burn.

paperclippy - You're really getting speedy!! Woo Hoo! Swimming class is going well thanks for asking. Were mostly just doing drills and such. I did swim on my own today (2000yds) and I figured out a few things to improve my form, so their comments have helped. Makes me think individual lessons would be good maybe if I can afford them in the spring.

Hey did you guys see on "Diet Tribe" the TV show they are doing a triathlon? It's on Fridays... on Lifetime I think?

paperclippy
10-27-2009, 03:31 PM
Muse, good luck on the race!

Geranium, my weight loss plan is just calorie counting. I aim for under 1400 cals/day M-F, usually hit around 2000 on Saturday when I have my "cheat" meal (meal where I can eat whatever I want in whatever quantity I want), and somewhere between 1200-1600 on Sunday. In terms of what I actually eat, I take sort of a whole foods approach. Lots of fruits, veggies, whole grains, and lean protein. I am not afraid of carbs and I eat bread, rice, and pasta pretty much every day. My primary rules are (1) only one restaurant meal per week, (2) no dessert on weekdays, and (3) no second helpings.

The other part of my plan is exercise. Right now I'm doing HIIT runs MWF and strength training (new rules of lifting for women book) TTh, with the weekend as "active rest" days.

SGeranium
10-28-2009, 01:50 PM
Diet tribe meet and consume afternoon...... So I had never heard of diet tribe and quick search-a-roo told me I could watch me the whole thing on line for free....... Please don't judge to harshly I've been home with sick children for a week; or has it been forever (read sick myself now and STIRCRAZY)???...... Any who thanks for the show heads up it's kind of everything I've ever hoped TBL would be. Good TV, plus I talked to two girlfriends last night.

So do you have girlfriends to race, train , diet etc in reallife?

SGeranium
10-28-2009, 05:54 PM
I have fallin' into the "I work out a lot what could it hurt" trap. It is hard to find the balance of enough calories to fuel what I'm doing and not make me a CHORE to live with, but enough of a deficit to lose.

Idealmuse
10-29-2009, 04:03 PM
Yeah calories are always a struggle. I try and listen to my body if it needs a day of more calories once in awhile I don't sweat it. Lots of people warned me though training for an IM and losing weight are sometimes hard to do at the same time. This is why I'm trying hard to get most if it off before spring.

I haven't watched the first season of Diet Tribe, but I plan to get around to watching it too. I try and watch most of my stuff on the treadmill while running/walking so I don't feel too guilty!

SGeranium
11-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Idealmuse: Congrats on the run. I hope your feeling better. Your new pic is adorable.

Clippy: I hope your well and running fast......

lobon
11-07-2009, 05:10 PM
hey ladies. looking for some advice for a wanna be beginner triathlete on a bike purchase

I recently started to bike twice per week, either spinning, indoor on the trainer on a nice Trek road bike (not mine), or outdoors on a cheap walmart road bike GMC Denali. I have very little experience on the bike and still feel a little nervous on roads and intersections and tentative about using the brakes and drops. I also have some pain in my back with an aggressive riding position. i would like to do some duathlons and tris next summer. I'm a competitive person but I definitely am not going to be trying to place or anything.

I want to replace the cheapo road bike but I'm torn on whether I should go for a hybrid or road bike. I want to be comfortable on long training and race rides but I also don't want to feel unnecessarily slow.

What do you gals think?

paperclippy
11-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Lobon, I have a hybrid bike that I got back in college for riding to class. It's comfortable enough for doing sprint tri's, but if I ever move beyond that level I will probably get a road bike. My bike has 24 speeds but I find that I only ever use the top 5 or so. Maybe a road bike would have higher gears that would go faster? It does seem kind of silly to me to be riding in my highest gear a lot of the time, but on the other hand I don't have a very high rpm so I still have plenty of room to improve with my current bike.

augeremt
11-20-2009, 12:46 AM
Idealmuse recently introduced me to this thread and I'm writing to say hi!

I haven't yet registered for a triathlon but am definitely doing one in mid-April. Mostly, I can't figure out if I want to do a sprint or an Olympic, so I'm putting off the decision til I see how the training is going. I'm mostly intimidated by the really hilly course and I don't know if I want to challenge myself that much on my first tri, or if I'll even be able to finish (which is my goal for the first one).

Regardless, it'll definitely be The Rage in the Sage tri in Vegas, though, so I'm kind of excited to beat myself up in the morning and then hit the town in the evening. I guess that's added incentive ;)

And there's also another triathlon around here in late June so maybe I'll do the sprint in Vegas and train for the Olympic here. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Anywhos, I've been working on developing a training plan, and it looks like my week will be swim, bike, run, swim, bike, run, rest, with varying speeds and intensities depending on the workout. My town is also very big on triathlons so maybe once I get a good base, I'll go to some of the local triathlon club workouts because I'm pretty sure I can't keep up right now.

Idealmuse
11-20-2009, 01:46 AM
Au - If it's anything like my Tri-club they have people of all levels. You may be one of the slower ones but I doubt the only one. I'd suggest checking it out. My club is rather large so they have a whole program with newbie clinics and so on...

Lobon - If you at all think your going to do more the one Tri... I'd highly suggest the road bike. A road bike if fit properly to your body (make sure you get fitted at the store by a person and not just standing over the bike kinda fit) will be just as comfortable if not more so then one where you sit more upright believe it or not. I used to get numb hands on long rides with my old hybrid but not with my road. It doesn't take as much time to get used to as you might think. I had never ridden a road bike until a few months before my first Tri. Anyway, a road bike will get you a few MPH faster over dirt/hybrids with the same biking effort and there is usually "room to grow" as far as gearing.

Idealmuse
11-20-2009, 02:05 AM
BTW for the new people:

"The Slow Fat Triathlete" if you haven't read it already is a great/funny book for timid beginners. It's the thing that sparked my interest in thinking I could try one some day.

paperclippy
11-30-2009, 12:00 PM
Welcome Au!

My parks department is offering another session of adult swimming lessons and I think this time I will sign up early to get in (signups start tomorrow). The session is basically one month long of a 45-minute group lesson MW 7:15-8:00pm for $65 total. I think I will sign up for one month and see if after that I feel like I need more coaching or if I just want to go it alone. I do think I need some help right now though.

Question for you guys though -- if I'm going to be swimming from 7-8pm, when do I eat dinner?

augeremt
12-08-2009, 05:34 PM
It's been pretty quiet lately, so I thought that I'd mention that I finally registered for my first triathlon! I opted for the Olympic distance since I have the time to train. SO...

April 17th in Vegas I will become a triathlete!

Idealmuse
12-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Aug - congrats how exciting! Did you pick out a training plan?

Jess - Before swimming I generally either grab a latte or light sandwich. You don't want too much squishing around while your swimming. I've never had issues with eating something light despite the old wives tale about waiting a certain time length between swimming and eating.

Not much going on here. I did some run intervals at 6.0mph the other day... that was kinda cool. Only 2mins at a time (and then 3 jog) but hey it's progress!

augeremt
12-14-2009, 03:22 AM
Ideal - I'm going to be doing a 20-week plan I found in a book: Triathlon Magazine's Essential Week-by-Week Training Guide

I like that it has a bunch of levels of workouts, so I can do more advanced stuff for swimming, while still starting slow for running. And it's super detailed, which I really like.

So that "officially" starts on Dec 28, but I've been doing something most days of the week now, trying to get some sort of base before the real training begins.

paperclippy
12-15-2009, 06:04 PM
I'm starting to think about planning out which sprint triathlons to sign up for next year and when to start training. This past year I did one in April, but I'm not sure if I'll be ready for it next year since I've been slacking on the biking. OTOH it would be nice to do to see if I could improve on last year's time. In general at least I know I'm running faster now, although I haven't been working on distance much.

I did sign up for 4 weeks of swimming lessons, starting January 11. If it's good I may sign up for more after that. So at least hopefully my swim time will improve, since that is really where I'm slowest compared to other competitors. Once the swimming start I need to modify my workout schedule. I think it will be swim MW, weights TTh, run FSu, rest on Saturday. It will be too cold/treacherous for biking outside still in January.

I think in my area there's a sprint in June, one in July, and three in August, at least if it's the same as last year. Training is easier once the weather is improved so I'm kind of considering skipping the April one and going for June or July instead. OTOH the one in April is an easier course. I'm so conflicted! Plus I have about seven weeks left on my strength training program, so I can't do much intense leg stuff until after I finish it.

augeremt
12-27-2009, 04:59 AM
I'm having a somewhat similar dilemma, in that I'm not sure which tris to do. So far I just signed up for one in April to have an official race that I've paid for to get me to the gym and training. But after that, I have no idea. There are a few in my area but they tend to sell out pretty quickly (we have a huge tri scene here) so I feel like I'm going to have to make that decision before I decide if triathlons are really for me.

And yeah, it's so much more pleasant to train in nice weather. I'm in California for the holidays and the bike ride in t-shirt and shorts was actually insanely warm, as compared to the few layers of clothes required for my Colorado rides.

paperclippy
01-08-2010, 11:20 AM
Augeremt, did you decide on any tris yet? I still haven't! I was in SoCal for the holidays too and got a lot of good running in.

A friend of mine who has never done a tri before signed up for an IronMan. :fr: I think she's nuts, but I wish her the best of luck!

How's everyone else doing? Any winter training plans? My swim classes start next week and I'm excited to see how it goes! Still need to figure out the food situation though. I think I'll just cook big batches of food the day before my class so that as soon as I get home from work (around 5:30) I can heat up leftovers and eat right away, so I won't have a full stomach for my 7:15 swim. I might also buy some Lean Cuisines so I have food in case of emergency. Poor DH will have to handle dinner on his own for a little while.

Also it turns out that my swim class ends the same time that I finish my strength training program, so that will be a good time to determine a new training schedule or start a program.

SGeranium
01-08-2010, 11:48 AM
We are all on the same wavelength. I've been thinking about the upcoming season and What and when and where. I've also been playing around with the idea of doing a half marathon this spring as well. So many options, my brain hurts and I overload. I definitely need to get back in the pool. Running has been the easiest and most consistent for me. Spinning next, often just in spin class, but often enough. swimming -- not so much. I do know that I want to do an Oly distance though. I think that that will be a nice step.

Paperclippy: 0- iron man that is a little crazy. I wish her the best of luck.

augeremt
01-08-2010, 08:25 PM
Paperclippy - Ironman?! Wow. I agree with you, she is kind of nuts.

I've finally registered for an Olympic distance: Rage in the Sage in Vegas on April 17th. I technically started training a week and a half ago, but haven't done nearly as much as I should've. So I need to play catch-up.

This whole triathlon business is a bit disheartening being a big girl. Since most triathletes are skinny and tall, they don't make anything real-people sized, such as wetsuits, which I'm going to need since the water's going to be super cold. I was telling my concerns about wetsuits always being too long for me in the arms and legs (so that they fit my boobs and hips) on a tri-specific forum which I frequent, and this girls responds:
"I'm short and heavier (5'3" and 130 lbs)"

Seriously?! That's "heavy"?! If so, then I'm in trouble!

SGeranium - A half marathon and a tri, you go girl! I've had trouble figuring out what I want to do as well, so I feel your pain. I'm the other way around in terms of exercise, though. I need to start running! I've been avoiding it like the plague, swimming a lot instead. Biking is second, and running is way dead last. But I'm slowly starting to change that so there's hope. Good luck with the decisions!

SGeranium
01-09-2010, 04:53 PM
augeremet: which tri site. I mostly lurk, but post a little at beginnertriathlete.com there is a specific athena area for questions just like that.

augeremt
01-10-2010, 01:52 AM
augeremet: which tri site. I mostly lurk, but post a little at beginnertriathlete.com there is a specific athena area for questions just like that.

That would be the one :) I used to be a lurker, but recently joined their winter mentoring program since I don't know squat about this new sport. Great site! I absolutely love it. I didn't think to ask wetsuit questions on the Athena threads ;) Duh, that makes so much sense!

SGeranium
01-10-2010, 04:26 PM
Aug: I'm in pirate girls mentor group. :) I have the same name there too. Ask in the Athena or weight loss section, I'll bet you'll get a more helpful answer.

clippy: I have the same problem with a Monday night yoga class I love. I usually end up having something light before and something light after. It's not perfect, but it's the best solution I've come up with. I've tried to eat before only. But I eat light to not feel gross in yoga then I'm STARVING.

I managed to put off getting in the pool again all week. I think I have a problem................

paperclippy
01-11-2010, 09:51 AM
I prepped enough food so I can eat right away when I can get home tonight. But then, I looked at the parks department website and it says that currently 3 people are signed up for the swim class, but there is a minimum enrollment of 4 (maximum 6). I'm really hoping they don't cancel it due to insufficient enrollment! I'd be happy to pay another $20 to the instructor to not have it be cancelled. Well, I'm crossing my fingers in any case. Nobody's said it's cancelled yet, so hopefully they will offer to just let us pay a little extra.

paperclippy
01-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Swim class happened! It was good. It was just me and two other guys, and I was probably the best swimmer of the bunch, but both of them could also swim. I think I'll learn a lot because in the first class we covered just about everything I know and the limits of my abilities. I signed up for 8 sessions so hopefully my technique and speed will improve. Next class is tomorrow!

shea5
01-12-2010, 03:17 PM
Hi there, I figured I'd poke my nose in here because I'm hoping to get some triathalons done this year. I've done about 5 sprint ones a few years ago (pre-kids, but still big-210 or so) but nothing for a while, and I'm the type that really needs something to train for. So I've been looking at races, and trying to decide what to do. I haven't even looked into training yet, because I'm still working at getting into an exercise routine, but I'll be looking shortly and trying to pick up some advice here. Thanks!

Meredith

augeremt
01-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Meredith - That's great! Are you looking to do a sprint again? I'm training for my first triathlon and also started because I needed something to train for and needed some variety in my workouts (not a fan of just plain running). Good luck with the exercise routine!

paperclippy - Sounds like you'll get a lot out of your swim class. And lots of one-on-one instruction. I can't remember, do you have a specific triathlon you're training for?

SGeranium - I'm in GrooveTime!'s group. Same name on there too. I'm so glad I signed up since it's been so helpful with everything. I'm going to put off getting the wetsuit until a little later in the season since I've been dropping a few pounds lately, which I hope will continue to happen, so I may be a size down by the time I need one in April. And want to get one that'll fit. But I will definitely consult the Athena forum.

SGeranium
01-12-2010, 05:57 PM
clippy : I'm really glad the class happened for you. It sounds like you will get a lot of attention .

Shea welcome there are a lot of beginner training plans out there. I used the one at beginnertriathlete . It's much easier for me to stay focused in the day to day with a goal as well.

paperclippy
01-13-2010, 09:44 AM
Meredith, welcome!

Auger, I still haven't decided which one to train for, but it will be a sprint. At this point I'm thinking it may be too late to train for the one in April. I'm thinking I might go for one in June and one in August. The August one would be one of the same ones I did last year, the June would be a new one (with an open water swim, which I haven't done before). My only concern is that the June one is on a hilly course, and there aren't really any hills to train on right near me. I would have to drive my bike over to the park that the tri is going to be in to train on the hills, which is kind of annoying. That and I'm not sure if I'd need a wetsuit for the open water swim, I don't have one.

augeremt
01-19-2010, 05:27 AM
Ladies, I need advice. Beware, this is really long.

I signed up for an Olympic tri in mid April in Vegas and have been training for it semi-seriously for the past week or so, when I should've been doing it for 3 weeks now (the first problem). At this point, my heart is not in it at all and it's making it very hard for me to motivate myself to get stuff in every day.

I also have a lot on my plate now, which I know all of you do so I guess that's not an excuse at all. But I'm essentially going from 0 to 60 with workouts and it's getting really stressful. Like, I didn't really exercise regularly before this so going from that to 6 days a week is really getting to me. I mean, I play in a few sports leagues and sometimes make it to the pool, but nothing this intense and this regimented.

In short, this isn't fun anymore and I'm super duper stressed, which I haven't been in a while. I signed up thinking it'd be a fun way to get myself to exercise regularly, but it's turned into a complete stress bomb.That, and a weekend in Vegas, with flights, hotels, food, bike and wetsuit rentals (and the list goes on) is getting pretty expensive, and since I'm not feeling this thing at all, I'm weary of spending that kind of money on something that's making me stressed and essentially miserable.

If you can't tell, I'm seriously leaning towards skipping out on this one and instead attempting one near home and about 10 weeks later in mid-June. It seems a lot more reasonable with regards to finances and training time since I can build up a base now before the "official" training begins (again) 16 weeks out from the tri. Also, the course is A LOT flatter than the Vegas one, which a seasoned tri friend told me is "challenging but difficult". Not something I want to hear when I'm already doubting my abilities to do this.

So, here's where I need advice. I'm already signed up for Vegas with my roommate (who just happens to be my best friend, which complicates things somewhat since I can't really flake out on her as easily), having paid the registration fee a couple months ago in hopes of the money motivating me. She's really set on going and has very excitedly been training diligently, and does not take my saying "I don't think I wanna go" very well. I know because I talked to her about it last week and she got very upset, mad, and disappointed. I feel bad copping out, but 1) I honestly don't think I can complete the course since it's so hilly and I don't really have a base, 2) it's really expensive to get out there, and 3) I'm not ready to train 6 times per week.

For that last point, maybe I'm just being lazy and not wanting to go to the gym every day. I do generally have that problem, and once I get in a bike ride or a good swim, then I feel great. But it's getting out that door which is the killer. I can motivate myself to workout a few times a week, with the knowledge that I can rest sometime soon. But 6 days straight is just too much. Everywhere it says that you should ease into workouts/diets/life changes slowly, and I feel like I need to do that before I take on this HUGE thing. Those extra 7 weeks of build-up before the June tri I mentioned would be used for just that. I know I could've done the same with the weeks before Christmas, which I didn't, but I'm more focused with food choices and everything now, so I think I'll be able to manage 3-4 times per week workouts to build up a base and increase from there. I just think I'm rushing into things and it's stressing me out like crazy. I mean, look at me, it's 2 am and I'm posting to 3FC cuz I can't sleep.

Anywhos, any advice? Should I try to train for April and see how it goes? Or somehow find a way to reason with my roommate without really pissing her off and go for late June? I'm really leaning towards June for so many reasons, but I also don't want to quit on myself and, yet again, not accomplish something I committed to do simply due to laziness (the not building a base before Christmas, not the not wanting to go to the gym 6 times a week part now, although I guess that also qualifies).

Another alternative is to drop down to the sprint distance in the Vegas tri (which my roommate is ok with), though I'm not sure I can do yet as I haven't contacted the race director, but it's the same day, same price, etc, so I'm thinking that shouldn't be a problem. The 12-week training for that would start next week so I wouldn't be behind and I wouldn't piss off my roommate, but it wouldn't eliminate the getting-to-Vegas problem and the I'm-not-ready-for-6-straight-days-of-workouts problem.

Sorry this is so long, but I'm having a huge dilemma here.

paperclippy
01-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Auger, I think there are a couple options. If your friend wants to do the olympic in Vegas and would be put off enough by you not going that it would ruin your friendship, I would say either drop down to the sprint distance and go anyway if you think you can handle the training, or you could skip the tri altogether and just go to support your friend and have a fun weekend in Vegas. It doesn't solve too much of the money problem since I'm sure getting there is the expensive part, not the race itself, but it would be a show of support for your friend and let you see how a tri works before having to actually do it yourself.

If your friendship can survive you not going to Vegas, I'd skip it and go for the one close to home later. Is that one a sprint? With limited training time I would highly recommend doing a sprint instead of an olympic unless you're already used to running and biking long distances.

In other news, I learned at swim class last night that I have been doing breaststroke WRONG this whole time! :lol: (I'm imagining a LOLcat saying "Ur doin it rong!") Apparently the arm movements I was doing are the ones for *underwater* breast stroke and are not correct for regular breast stroke. Oops.

shea5
01-19-2010, 05:14 PM
I would also not jump into an olympic distance tri withough a better base, especially if it is stressing you out. On the other hand, I can see your friend's point of view about bailing on her. If you do the sprint triathalon, you will have time to train (and if the 6 days a week is stressing you out, you can try to modify it to make it work...) Vegas can be done on the cheap, especially if you are not planning on partying too much before a sunday race. Just a thought. However, if your friend will not be too mad, just wait until June. She will forgive you; just maybe not right away :)

SGeranium
01-19-2010, 07:52 PM
What Shea said. The sprint option would be great if you can swing it financially. For inspiration just watch Diet Tribe season two on lifetime. They were ready in 16 weeks from no activity. Training, logistics, money ,it's a lot of unknowns which cause stress. Give yourself a break.

I f your feel like you have to bail she will eventually forgive you, she's your best friend.

shea5
01-20-2010, 04:26 PM
Ok, so I finally sat down and picked out a couple of competitions. I'm going to do a 5k on April 3rd, and then a spring tri (the CBI Tri out of the Woodlands) on May 2nd. I've already told my husband, and I'll sign up at the beginning of February, and make it a little public, to give me added incentive to train (my other ones, I had a distinct lack of training in anything but the swim portion; I basically did the bike/run cold, and it showed, but I was able to finish...this time I want to do the full training, but modified to fit the schedule I already have, so I'll have to think more on that over the next couple of weeks.

:carrot: I'm still excited to have a goal!

Meredith

augeremt
01-20-2010, 11:16 PM
Ladies, thanks for the quick responses and support. The friendship will survive (I hope). We've been through worse. And we're both super stressed about money in general so not going would lift a huge financial burden off the both of us. So that may be the deciding factor, and I may not even have to mention the fact that I don't want to do a tri quite yet.

I've been thinking it over the past week so it's not a spur-of-the-moment decision, and I'm pretty set on not going. Now I just have to have this dreaded conversation. Gotta wait for the right time.

Thanks again!

paperclippy
01-25-2010, 11:38 AM
Meredith, good luck on your 5k and sprint! I still haven't signed up for any. :p

Auger, did you talk to your friend yet?

I'm getting ready to transition from winter maintenance into training for the summer. Why is the weather not also ready for this? :rofl: I'm finishing up the last stage of the NRLW strength training program so it seems like a perfect time. I need to come up with a new strength routine that I can do while doing tri training to keep up my muscle mass without making me too sore for running and biking.

I have a question for you folks -- do you have any training plans that are based on distance rather than time? The ones I found on beginnertriathlon.com (the free ones, at least) are all based on time, like, run for 17 minutes, etc. I need a distance-based one because I'm so slow that even if I meet all the times on the training plan, I won't actually be covering the distance that I need to.

shea5
01-26-2010, 04:45 PM
I've not seen any free ones that are based on distance, but I haven't looked too hard yet. I need to find one for this upcoming event though, so I'll be looking in the next week, so I'll let you know if I see anything...

SGeranium
01-26-2010, 05:52 PM
I think the one I used last year was based on distance I'll look for it. I agree it's much more helpful for me as well.
I'm still pluggin' along trying to add mileage. I've been getting SUPER dizzy and sick to my stomach when swimming lately. I need to figure that out. IDEAS?

paperclippy
01-26-2010, 06:07 PM
Geranium, there are a couple things I could guess . . . Are you swimming really really hard? If so it might just be the general dizziness/nausea you can get when you work out too hard. Otherwise, maybe you aren't breathing frequently enough so you're running out of air? How long before swimming do you eat, and what do you eat? Is the temperature in the pool/pool area okay? Does it happen every time you swim, or only in certain situations? Does it happen while you are swimming or when you get out of the pool?

Sorry to answer a question with more questions!

augeremt
01-27-2010, 04:50 AM
Talked to my friend today kinda sorta. It didn't come out the way I wanted it to, but she seems pretty receptive. She still wants to do a tri the day we should've been doing the one in Vegas, and mentioned that she may just do one on her own. So I said I'd do a sprint with her around here just for fun...kind of a practice run, I'd say. That went over well, so I think we're good. Small price to pay, I guess.

So yeah, all is well :) And the official one we'll be doing is on June 26th about an hour north of here. I've heard really good things about it so it should be fun. I'm kind of excited instead of stressed, like I was before. Yay!

Idealmuse
01-29-2010, 01:22 AM
I actually think as a slow person its better to train by time not distance otherwise you'll be over-doing things and possibly over-training... I used the BT programs time based and it worked out OK for me at the time but you might want to ask more people about it. I think I did add in some longer rides in the end.

My IMgroup coach just send us the first weeks workouts for IM training! Eeek! I'm ready though... interesting to see where this will go.

Idealmuse
01-29-2010, 01:24 AM
Aug - Glad you talked to your friend... you will be better off if this is fun and not just a constant source of stress. There is plenty of time to do the longer races if you end up enjoying this.

paperclippy
02-03-2010, 05:58 PM
Au, glad you worked it out with your friend!

I have a question for you folks. How do you bike in winter? Do you use a stationary bike at a gym/at home, do you use a trainer that you put your regular bike in indoors, or do you just have good enough weather that you can keep biking outside?

SGeranium
02-03-2010, 07:30 PM
aug I'm glad it worked out. That must be a relief.

clippy : Theoretically it's possible for me to year round here. It rarely freezes in Seattle and snow only last a day or two if we get any. But I don't like to ride in the dark or in the rain. I'm not getting out there all that often lately. I love to go to spin class, but that doesn't always work out time wise. Classes are reservable in my gym so often class is booked before I know I'm free for it. Most often I do my own spin training on the spin bikes. I use the stationary bikes too, but the positioning is better for me on the spin bikes. It's closer to my actual bike. A trainer would be great, but our house is small with no basement. I couldn't leave my bike set up up in the house permanently without it getting on my nerves and in my way. I feel like this is not ideal, but It does keep my stamina up.

SGeranium
02-03-2010, 07:32 PM
Ideal : Yikes!!!!! Good luck, I look forward to hearing all about your journey. Are you going to blog about it?

Idealmuse
02-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Chicago is too unpredictable with weather and snow on the ground so I'm biking indoors on a bike trainer. I don't really have cold weather riding gear either yet.

SGeranium I keep meaning to make a blog, but not yet. I do have a workout log on BeginnerTriathlete.com under the same username and I've sorta semi-been blogging there. If I make one I'll let you guys know. My first group workout went well. Our first group swim is tomorrow morning (At 6am! Eeep! I have to get up at like 4am. Wah)

SGeranium
02-04-2010, 07:19 PM
Ideal: the last thing you need to do is add another thing to do to your list. IE a blog. That said I would totally love reading along your journey. Very gutsy my friend. I'll have to peek on beginnertriathlete. I joined a mentor group so I have started to poke around there from time to time.

jellofer2
02-06-2010, 05:27 PM
Hello ladies. I am really excited to have found a thread for triathlon discussion. I signed up for my first one yesterday. June 13, Naperville, IL women's triathlon. It is a sprint. Any advice? Also, how did training effect your weightloss?

Thanks.

Idealmuse
02-07-2010, 11:29 AM
Hello ladies. I am really excited to have found a thread for triathlon discussion. I signed up for my first one yesterday. June 13, Naperville, IL women's triathlon. It is a sprint. Any advice? Also, how did training effect your weightloss?

Thanks.

I've heard good things about that Tri Jello... The womens only Tris are really nice to do for first timers. I did the Danskin one up in Wisconsin a few years ago as my first. The environment tends to be very supportive and in my opinion a little less intimidating!

Lets see advice. Training plans are a good idea. You can get free ones on BeginnerTriathlete.com. Do you run yet? I'd start learning now even if your training plan won't kick off for awhile but don't fee like you have to run the whole thing if you can't. Have you read the book "The Slow Fat Triathlete"? It's great...

Tri Training has been awesome for my weight loss I went from 240 to 186 the 7 months I trained for my first. With obviously some very careful calorie watching... but as long as you behave with your food the exercise helps the weight loss quite a bit.

paperclippy
02-08-2010, 09:36 AM
Welcome Jello! I agree with Muse, check out beginnertriathlete for training plans. If you don't run at all I would suggest also looking into the Couch to 5k program (you can google for it).

Personally, since I am in the maintenance phase of weight loss, I actually gained a little weight during training. I wouldn't let that put you off though. I was already at a "normal" weight and already working out 5 days a week, so I mostly added muscle. You should be aware though that you may need to modify your diet a little bit (either content or timing) so that you have enough energy for your workouts.

Idealmuse
02-16-2010, 04:56 PM
Hey jellofer2 did you pick out a training program?

Most of the ones for Sprint Tris are 12 weeks or so... so you have plenty of time. I was just curious!

I'm currently on week 3... of I think 32? Seems far off at this point but the weeks are passing quickly. Enjoying my training so far. We are doing our first bike LT Threshold test tonight.

Hope everyone is well!

SGeranium
02-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Welcome Jello. I have a lovely auntie and some very nice cousins who live in Naperville:carrot:. Good luck and have fun with your training. BT has a lot of great plans.

Idealmuse: i found you on BT I hope that isn't to weird. I'm really rooting for you /inspired by what you are doing.

Well I think I found my first race of the season. I heard it's a good one. it's in between sprint and oly distance. 1/2 mile , 21mile, 5 mile. it's in June. and their race site says they strive to run the least expensive , most organized race in the state. Inexpensive and organized: my true love.

It turns out one of the people who teaches spin at my gym used to be pretty competitive in sprint distance tris in the area. She offered to help me out with some transition training and other junk. We started talking because she complimented my form after class. I'm such an easy get. What? my form is great? tell me everything.... You're my new best friend. Especially since I've been reading about and working on my form lately.

I'm going to run a half marathon this spring. Running has become my new favorite except for when I hate it. :dizzy: I'm inspired by all of you guys to find some swim classes, so that's on the agenda oh and I haven't lost a pound in months so I should probably do something about that. Exercising is the easy part for me. .....

Idealmuse
02-17-2010, 01:31 AM
Idealmuse: i found you on BT I hope that isn't to weird. I'm really rooting for you /inspired by what you are doing.

Well I think I found my first race of the season. I heard it's a good one. it's in between sprint and oly distance. 1/2 mile , 21mile, 5 mile. it's in June. and their race site says they strive to run the least expensive , most organized race in the state. Inexpensive and organized: my true love.

It turns out one of the people who teaches spin at my gym used to be pretty competitive in sprint distance tris in the area. She offered to help me out with some transition training and other junk.

Running has become my new favorite except for when I hate it. :dizzy: I'm inspired by all of you guys to find some swim classes, so that's on the agenda oh and I haven't lost a pound in months so I should probably do something about that. Exercising is the easy part for me. .....

Hah, no that's fine. Everyone is welcome to peek in on my since I've been too lazy to start the blog... I actually saw your banana post SG. Interesting replies you got there ha!

Sounds like a really cool race you found. That's sweet that you found someone to help you out!

Running is a love/hate thing for me too. Because my weight is sorta high for a runner it still doesn't come easy for me, but I do like the way it makes me feel. Exercise too is the easy part for me... I weight the same as I did around Thanksgiving if that makes you feel better. I kept going up and down 5-10lbs although now I'm in crack-down mode... should be headed down again.

paperclippy
02-22-2010, 12:11 PM
I swam 25 laps yesterday! Woohoo, go me. I think I will definitely be improving my swim time this year over last year. Still slacking on the running and biking. Winter, aren't you over yet?? I really hate running on the treadmill. It is just. So. Boring.

SGeranium
03-07-2010, 06:46 PM
25 laps is fantastic PC congrats to you and your hard work.