Support Groups - Any other short girls out there? (5'2 or under)

Pages : [1] 2 3

mermaid20
10-02-2008, 04:23 PM
I'm looking for any girls under 5'2 on the site that are also trying to lose or maintain their weight to talk to.

I feel like it is so much harder to look good being only 5'0 as the weight has no where to distribute LOL... and since I don't exercise much, I'm supposed to eat under 1200 calories to lose weight... but sometimes I can eat that much in one meal! I usually average around 1600-1800 calories a day but that seems to only help me maintain my already too-big figure.

So here are my main questions/concerns: what are typical daily menus for you/calorie count? What do you eat throughout the day? Does anyone else hate trying on clothes and getting dressed? where do you shop to find clothes that are flattering to shorter and heavier than society thinks short girls should be?

Feel free to post any comments you would like!

bargoo
10-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Do not eat under 1200 calories a day as you will be shortchanging yourself nutritionally. I lost weight eating 1200 -1400 calories a day. When I shop for pants I take a tape measure with me so I can get the correct inseam. I do not want to pay for alterations unless absolutely necessary, usually petites or sometimes short lengths are OK. As for other clothing I just try things on as sizes vary widely

mermaid20
10-02-2008, 05:19 PM
Wow you have made such amazing progress-past your goal! I am so jealous! LOL. Congrats!

So you think by maintaining 1200-1400 i can still work towards my goal? whats a typical day for you food wise?

rockinrobin
10-02-2008, 05:43 PM
Another 5 footer checking in here. Yes, I feel the same way. I feel at only 5 feet tall there's just not many places for the fat to go. And I feel that being only 5 feet tall, I just don't have the same caloric needs as the average person.

As far as what I eat, I eat lots and lots and did I mention? - LOTS of veggies - I LIKE volume and veggies allows me to eat lots while staying at a lower calorie count. I also eat plenty of low fat protiens - no fat yogurt, chicken and turkey breast, egg white omlettes, tuna and salmon and other fish, beans every now and then ,etc.

As far as your calorie count goes, trial and error is the best way to know for sure what you "can" eat to get you a weight loss.

It's really important to add in exercise. You say you don't much. But doing so would really, really help you. This way you can burn off some of those calories.

bargoo
10-02-2008, 05:48 PM
I eat six times a day. breakfast, snack, lunch. snack , dinner , snack. I eat about every 3 hours, snacks are things like, non fat yogurt, laughing cow lite cheese wedge, sugar free jello, sugar free pudding, fruit or melon.

AllyN
10-02-2008, 05:56 PM
Hey there! I'm barely 5'2, probably really 5'1.5"!

Anyway, the way I try to keep within my calorie needs is to eat lots of fruits and veggies like rockinrobin said. I also eat sporadically throughout the day. I usually eat like 8 times. They aren't really "meals". I'll have my biggest meal at breakfast and then wait about 3 hours then eat a one small snack, usually a/an (unsalted mix of nuts/tuna/pineapple chunks/small chicken breast slices/ or carrot sticks ) almost every hour to two hours...this constant snacking keeps me full.

I'm not saying that it will work for everyone, it kinda took me a while to figure out what my body would allow me to do!

Good luck!

Taurie
10-02-2008, 06:04 PM
When I was losing weight I was eating about 1200 cals a day and I was exercising 6x a week. Since I haven't been counting calories I've stopped losing, but have been maintaining. Eventually I'll get serious again and go back to 1,200 cals a day.

Basically I ate low(er) carb and high protein, and no carbs in the evening. These are some of the foods I would eat:
ff soy milk
oatmeal
sweet potato
lean red meats
chicken
fish
fruit (in moderation, in the morning)
granny smith apple with cottage cheese (at night if I was still hungry)
all veg except avocado, peas, carrots, corn, potatoes

So for dinner I would have a lean meat and grilled veg, a stir fry or salad.

I don't hate getting dressed now. Since I've lost most of the weight I feel more confident about my figure. And, I feel I can wear more of a variety now.

I didn't allow myself to shop until the weight came off because I hated how everything looked on me. If I did buy something it was practical stuff aka boring stuff that fit.

AngelMae
10-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Hey, I am about 5'2". Like everyone else has said I have been eating lots and lots of fruits and veggies. I eat 3 meals and 3 snacks and I get some sort of exercise in 6 days a week. Usually I walk a mile and a half or do a DVD. I also use free weights 2 days a week.

Good luck!!

:)

mermaid20
10-02-2008, 09:17 PM
I can't weight to lose the weight, and then trying on clothes might actually be fun!!

Is doing 30 minutes of cardio 3X a week enough? What else do you all do for exercise?

I love my fruits and veggies too, but I have a weakness for cheese (all kinds), nachos, and all sorts of stuff. Usually my cravings change per day. How do you all fight cravings? I like the idea of a little laughing cow cheese to try and satisfy my cheese cravings...

For the people now maintaining, how much did you lose and how long did it take you to lose it? I started in early september and I am hoping to lose at LEAST 25 pounds by March.

angiemo3
10-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Hi, I am new too and I am 5'2". I hate being this short because I carry most of my weight in my stomach and it hard to look good in anything. I am not on 1200 cal. diet either. I am walking a lot and monitoring my portions. I would probably lose more weight faster if I was more strict on myself but I think if I do that I will end up feeling deprived and go on a binge. Everyone is different and it takes a while to find what is right for you, but I think anything UNDER 1200 cal can slow progress.

mermaid20
10-02-2008, 10:33 PM
Yeah, I found that if i eat under 1200 i binge. But I'm just trying to find a consistency now. I'm looking for the certain amount of calories that I can maintain everyday rather than bouncing between high and low calories.

LandonsBaby
10-02-2008, 10:35 PM
I'm 4'9" and I've never seen that as a disadvantage as far as weight goes. I will always be small. Even though I'm not obese people still constantly comment on how tiny I am. I've sorta thought of it as an advatage because even when I'm ridiculously fat I'm still a small person.

There is NO way I can buy pants that don't have to be altered, it just doesn't work. Even children's pants are too long for me (of course I can't wear them at this weight but when I could, they were too long). For clothes I really like Dillards, Macy's, Ann Taylor Loft, and Target. I don't buy much clothing but those are the places where I find things I like and that actually fit (only shirts and shoes at target).

I'm not counting calories but when I was I usually stayed between 1400-1600on my good days. I could lose on that if I stuck to it.

Jolie4me
10-02-2008, 10:38 PM
Yes I'm 5'2"... I got all the short fat genes. My sister is 5'7 and skinny... even after 3 kids.

WW put me on 1000 calories a day... that was quite a few years ago b/c I wasn't losing weight but then I just stored more fat :( I start a 1200 a day plan next Monday so we will see how I do.

Amanda

LandonsBaby
10-02-2008, 10:41 PM
WW put me on 1000 calories a day... that was quite a few years ago b/c I wasn't losing weight but then I just stored more fat :( I start a 1200 a day plan next Monday so we will see how I do.

This is one of my big issues with WW. They put people on ridiculously low calories!

mermaid20
10-02-2008, 10:57 PM
well i wish you the best of luck amanda.

im still wondering what other types of exercise i can do and if 30 min 3 times a week is enough of it?

and im still having problems with cravings. any creative ways to avoid them?

rockinrobin
10-03-2008, 05:37 AM
well i wish you the best of luck amanda.

im still wondering what other types of exercise i can do and if 30 min 3 times a week is enough of it?

and im still having problems with cravings. any creative ways to avoid them?

When I first started out exercising I started out very slowly. But then again I was 287 lbs and doing much was really not an option. At your weight, I would aim for some kind of "added physical activity" at least 5 times a week. Even if it's just a brisk walk for 30 mins to start out with. You could also break it down and walk 2 x a day for 20 minutes each to begin with. You might also want to look into some strength training type program. Buy a resistance band to start off with.

The best way to fight off cravings, I've found is to go cold turkey. I avoided the food that I loved best and abused, (cakes, cookies, ice cream, pasta, rice, bread, etc) and my cravings for them, after 2 difficult weeks, slowed down incredibly. It's really the only way IMO.

Although I elminated many foods, figured they were doing me NO good whatsoever, I might as well do without them, I mean they certainly weren't making me happy, I added in many, many new and wonderful foods that I've come to absolutely love. They are now (mostly) the foods that I crave. So yes, make sure that you eat - just experiment and find healthy, low calorie foods to eat. Eventually your tastes will change.

Planning has also been key for me. I plan my days ahead of time. I eat frequently, at least 6 - 8 times a day. I always know that very soon another healthy, tasty snack/food is not too far off.

Mermaid, give it some time. Your food choices will evolve. The first thing you should work on doing is making a longterm commitment to eating well and exercising. Once you make that decision, that commitment, everything will fall into place. Best of luck to you.

JayEll
10-03-2008, 07:21 AM
Just a note on WW--the program does not put you on that low a level of calories. You're supposed to be eating additional points beyond the base level. If you're interested, check out the 3FC Weight Watchers forum and ask the chicks over there! :)

Jay

Spoz
10-03-2008, 07:27 AM
I totally agree about being smaller and having less place for the weight to spread to! I generally think unless us small girls are pretty slim we look pretty chubby (even at healthy weights).

Anyway, I'm 5'2 and I've lost weight at about 1450 calories, it's starting to slow down but anything between 1200-and 1500 should be manageable when losing weight.

Hat Trick
10-03-2008, 10:33 AM
I've lost twenty lbs so far by counting calories and exercising. I like to vary my calories each day, staying between 1400-1800. It seems to be working so far. I eat lots of protein with good carbs - veggies, some fruits, whole grains, and good fats (evoo) to help fuel me, fill me and keep me full longer. Alot of people like to eat 6 times a day or so. I've found that I don't like or need a snack between breakfast and lunch (most of the time) so I don't have one but between lunch and dinner I always need a snack, sometimes even two. The after dinner snack? Um, for me anyway it's really more of a dessert because I'm usually not hungry at night, I just like to eat at night. :D While I'd like to tell you that yours snacks can be chips and cookies and such, you know it just isn't so. Cheese sticks, veggies sticks, nuts, whole grain crackers, yogurt -- these types of things are what I usually snack on. Sometimes a cup of coffee in the mid-afternoon w/a cheese stick will keep me going. Caffeine and protein - what a combo! ;)

As for the cravings -- I'm w/Rockinrobin on this one. The first week or two -- I'm not gonna kid you, they were pretty hard but going cold turkey was the only way I found to really diminish the cravings for all the prepackaged junk. I think they put a little 'something, something' in those foods so the more we eat them, the more we want them. Geez, talk about a catch-22. So yeah, cold turkey. I just dug my heels in and just said no. It worked for me. Do I still get cravings? of course! I think everyone does. But now I know I can have a serving of doritos and not feel compelled to eat the whole bag. I've also realized that after the first 10-12 chips or so (which is somewhere around a serving) I don't really taste the chips anymore. Those first ones taste great but then I don't really notice the taste as much as I'm just going after that satisfiying 'crunchy/munchy' thing. Being aware, paying attention and not mindlessly eating really, really goes a long way in keeping the hand-to-bag/hand-to-mouth pattern under control.

As for exercising, I started off walking on the treadmill. I added in intervals (here's a link for a good explanation/example of what an interval is) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUV7Xiy2HAQ and freeweights. I also use a stability ball (do a youtube google search; tons of exercises out there), yoga and I try to walk my dog 1 1/2 miles several times a week. The more I move, the better I feel and the stronger I get. Yes, it burns cals but mostly I think the weight loss comes from diet vs. exercise. I like exercising because of how it makes me feel and because I want to kick butt when I'm 80! :)

Make a commitment, make a plan, tweak both the food and exercise constantly as you go along and you will lose the weight. Oh, and change your mindset too. Don't think of it as 'on a diet' cause then there will come a time when you are 'off a diet' and you will just resume your old habits. I thought I could just lose the weight and once at goal go back to eating and not exercising. I never even got to goal, twice!, and this time finally figured out that I'm changing my way of eating, my way of exercising and my entire outlook. I'm not 'on' anything and I'm not going to be 'off' anything. This is the way I live. Good luck!

LandonsBaby
10-03-2008, 12:09 PM

Do you have any activity in mind that you already know you enjoy or that you think you might enjoy?

healthytoad
10-03-2008, 01:31 PM
My doc says I am 5'2.. I say I am 5'3. He obviously can't measure correctly :P

Thank you for suggesting YouTube for exercise videos! I never thought about YouTube as good for anything besides funny cat videos :)

Taurie
10-03-2008, 02:10 PM
avoid cravings by not letting yourself get too hungry. Eat every 3 hours, drink lots of water. If your craving something after you've eaten treat yourself to a small nonfat latte.

One thing I have changed is that I always get the small size or kid size in everything that I buy when eating out. Like a small latte, or a small orange juice, etc.

Newshinyme
10-03-2008, 06:12 PM
I am 5' 1" (and 1/2!) and a huge cheese addict like you.
In my daily plan I am allowed a few protein or dairy servings in a day, so what I do is make one of those a cheese serving (I always weigh it to make sure I don't over-do it). I have found out that as long as I know I can have a little every day, I am ok.
I don't crave sweets or other things as much, but I still made sure I got them all out of the house just in case, because I know if I start eating them, it will be harder to stop.
As for exercise I started on the Wii Fit, and as I felt I need more of a challenge, I started doing exercise DVDs, so now I alternate between both.

mermaid20
10-03-2008, 06:46 PM
Do any of you have a scale? I am curious about buying a food scale so I can tell exactly how much of something I am eating. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? Where should i get one? is there something specific i should look for? are there differences between the cheaper and more expensive models?

LandonsBaby
10-03-2008, 07:35 PM
I got a cheap one from target. It appears to be accurate. It has a "tare" mode which lets me take it down to 0 without taking off the food. It also has 2000 foods listed but I've never used that feature and don't even know how to use it. It was $10. Oh, and it's digital. Chef Mate brand I believe is what Target sells.

aino
10-04-2008, 03:10 PM
Thanks mermaid20 for the link to this thread! It's awesome to see there are other petite people here who are trying to lose weight as well :)

So I have about 25 lbs to lose before I'm in the healthy weight-range. I recently signed up with WW - but I feel like I often blow my points (18 a day) before dinner! :( Obviously I'm making the wrong food choices... I'm trying to motivate myself to eat more fruits and veggies and cut out on the junk food.

I think the biggest change I can make is start exercising. Last year I'd lost 15 lbs just by running 3 times a week ( I was training for a half-marathon). After the half, I started running less frequently, but I was still able to maintain for almost 8 months until this summer when I stopped running and bam! I'm back to where I'd started :(

So anyway, like Hattrick suggested, I am trying to think of this as a lifestyle change. I signed up for kickboxing classes, now I jsut have to make sure I go more than just once a week :) Motivation and commitment - two simple concepts but... *sigh* oh so hard to maintain! What do you guys do to stay motivated?

mermaid20
10-04-2008, 07:48 PM
I found I need to exercise too. That is key for me, if I want to see a difference on the scale and in the clothing stores. It is hard for me though. I'm trying to stay motivated by thinking of the future- how nice it will feel to have the weight be gone, the compliments i would get, the clothes i'd be able to fit back into, and when I invest some money into it (gym membership, new fitness mat, etc) I feel like I have more of a commitment to it because I don't want that money to go to waste.

but making this into a lifestyle change is hard. One month in, and I have seen some results, but it's so easy to step back into old ways.

kamesennin
10-05-2008, 03:24 PM
subbing--
I love all the tips on this thread, thanks!

aino
10-07-2008, 12:17 AM
wow kamesennin - you have lost 29 lbs!! that is FANTASTIC :) what are some of your best tips?:)

mermaid - yeah I'm the same - in order to see the difference I *have* to exercise :) I'm a very people person, so it's hard for me to motivate myself to go it alone - which is why I signed up for kickboxing. atleast there are people around me, so i feel like I have to keep going the whole 55 minutes, and not be able to slack off! :)

kamesennin
10-07-2008, 02:26 AM
wow kamesennin - you have lost 29 lbs!! that is FANTASTIC :) what are some of your best tips?:)

mermaid - yeah I'm the same - in order to see the difference I *have* to exercise :) I'm a very people person, so it's hard for me to motivate myself to go it alone - which is why I signed up for kickboxing. atleast there are people around me, so i feel like I have to keep going the whole 55 minutes, and not be able to slack off! :)

Oh kickboxing! That sounds like a lot of fun. Be sure to come back and tell us how you like it!!

As for losing 29 pounds...well I kind of cheated and had a baby--that's good for about 7 pounds plus fluid and placenta=easy 20 lbs right there. I'm averaging 2 lbs per month so I'm hoping to increase that by a little!

I bought this scale here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/55-ULTRASHIP-Digital-Shipping-Postal-Scale-Scales-w-AC_W0QQitemZ290223862366QQcmdZViewItem
It is called Ultraship 55. I guess it is a postal scale because you can use it up to 55 lbs. Good for shipping stuff too so now I don't have to go to the post office. It is digital, has a tare function and can switch units . Only $20! Well you have to pay shipping, though.

mermaid20
10-07-2008, 10:21 AM
Wait, you use a postal scale to weigh your food? =0)

aino
10-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Oh kickboxing! That sounds like a lot of fun. Be sure to come back and tell us how you like it!!

As for losing 29 pounds...well I kind of cheated and had a baby--that's good for about 7 pounds plus fluid and placenta=easy 20 lbs right there. I'm averaging 2 lbs per month so I'm hoping to increase that by a little!

It IS fun, when I do go :) So far I'm averaging 1.5 times a week (well, went 2 the first week, once the second :) ) but I'm hoping to go at least twice a week! Here's hoping... :)

congratulations on the baby! 2 lbs a month is still faster than me :) I've been on WW for almost a month now, and so far my net loss is 1.6 lbs I think :) Snails move faster than I do when it comes to weight loss !

aino
10-08-2008, 07:48 PM
Wait, you use a postal scale to weigh your food? =0)

lol :)

well, there's also Escali Primo Digital Multifunctional Scale - on the few occasions I've used it, it's been great :) It has excellent reviews on Amazon. Check out Amazon - they have many other scales starting at $4 !

RangerChic
10-08-2008, 08:43 PM
I'm five foot. And, I never eat under 1200 cal a day. You really shouldn't go below that. I average out between 1200 and 1500 tops.
As far as exercise, I try to work out 4-5 times a week for at least 30 minutes.

Losing4another
10-08-2008, 11:25 PM
I wanted to jump in and say...I'm a shorty too @ 5 " 1 I have a lot to lose and with being so short that even losing 100 I'm still going to be OVERWEIGHT...My goal is just to feel better and add some healthy habits to my life. So excited to see a thread for us shorter gals

RangerChic
10-09-2008, 08:29 AM
Losing, where in Florida are you? I grew up down there and just moved up to NC this past summer.

As far as being "still overweight" after losing weight, I think it's proportionate to your body type too. I'm a big boned gal, so I've got that against me as far as the weight itself. So, while I'm shooting for a final goal of probably 140, I will always weigh a bit more than what I "should" weigh on those silly charts. :p

Losing4another
10-09-2008, 01:29 PM
I'm on the east coast central florida area :cool: I've been here since my family moved here back when I was eight years old from TX...which was a long time ago :lol: 22 years.

:yikes: I don't know about a final goal. I have to break my goals up or it just seems way to far away. I remember about 170 feeling good ...Still OVERWEIGHT of course but not feeling like a whale :o

What are you all doing for diet and exercise?

mermaid20
10-09-2008, 01:53 PM
Yeah it's good to have small goals. I find myself overwhelmed with the big numbers and I get discouraged...

for diet and exercise... I just started cardio (using biggest loser's cardio max for 20 min or jillians 30 day shred for 25 minutes) and also 10 minutes of abs and some stretching/yoga. I try to get in 30 minutes of exercise three times a week.

For eating, I try to eat only 1200 calories, but usually fall between 1500-1800. My average is like 1680. I track this using fitday which is a website I can't live without when it comes to this new lifestyle. it helps calculate everything I eat and gives you charts and reports on your progress. I've been trying to reduce my fat content (my diet probably used to consist of 80% fat, now it's between 30-40%) It is supposed to be under 30%.

littleblacklies
10-09-2008, 02:16 PM
I'm an inch over the limit, but I'm also a "big" girl in general, D bust and fairly large bone structure for my size etc so I'm looking a little muffin-like over here, whereas my 6 foot cousins are model proportion. I've got some advice for you but if the one inch negates it... sorreh (:

I typically eat around 15-1600 calories a day. I cut way back on bread, that has helped me most of all (did you know that flour and water makes a wonderful glue?? Yep and it sticks so wonderfully to your insides. Yuck). I try to eat something raw (fruit and veggie) in every meal. I try to fill up on the raw foods or the most undesirable part of the meal first. This way I'm sure to eat it, and I feel rewarded for eating all the cauliflower by getting to the cheesy potatoes! I don't eat breakfast, but I'm not a morning person. This helps for snacking during the day, I've got more calories I can stuff into meals, but if you love breakfast, you go for it.

WATER!!!! Agh, learn to drink water, or at least low calorie drink mixes in water. The more water you have flowing through your body, the better. I drink 16 oz at a time so I don't feel overwhelmed by the booming "eeiiiight glasses a daaaaay!" directive.

I'm not very active either (I despise sweat). I'm not competitive. I don't particularly like the outdoors in any season except autumn.. texas heat isn't my friend. So I have learned to make things more difficult for myself just to throw in some activity. It seems to be working, because in three weeks I've maintained a 10 pound weight loss and it really hasn't been a big lifestyle change.

For instance, we live on a farm, so we have to open the gate before we drive up. I walk the long driveway back to the house instead of getting in the car again. My hubs and I also go to college on a large campus so I make it a point to park in the furthest parking lot, and go to his classes and wait for him at the end of the day in a building I otherwise would have no business in. This way, I focus more on where I have to be than "omg I have to walk all over the place @#$@!"

If we have groceries to bring in, I grab two bags at a time so I have to make more trips. I haven't taken an elevator in 3 months and don't plan to again. Obviously you can't do things like this all the time or things wont get done, frozen pizzas will thaw, and you'll get nowhere on time, but throw it in where you can (:

If you ever can get to a nutrition or health seminar for relatively cheap, or even sit in on a class on a local campus, it will help put you off some of that junk food and you will get very sound advice. I am a biology student and I hear about the stuff they put in all the junk food/meat over and over and over and it just makes me ill. But then, I've always been a picky eater.

Good luck to you!!!

kamesennin
10-10-2008, 04:57 PM
I've just started this whole "healthy" thing but so far I do Leslie Sansone's walking dvds and try to get 10,000 steps on my pedometer. I eat about 2,000 cals a day (bfing a 3 mo old). I'm also on week 3 of the 100 push up work out. I really really want some Richard Simmons dvds!

joyra
10-10-2008, 06:39 PM
This is a great thread! I don't have too many friends as short as I am so I don't exactly know what a good weight would be. Granted I know we are all different and some of you can weigh 125 lbs and be a size 4 (at that weight, I was pretty fit, had completed a triathlon, and was still as size 10).

Eating is my biggest downfall--I want to eat like everyone else! My current partner in crime is a 6'1 fella, 135 lbs (down 10 lbs since moving to Korea with me) and can eat whatever the **** he wants. So here's me 1 foot shorter, 30 lbs heavier, generally eating the same portions as him. I've lost like 1 lb since being here. ... Anyways, cutting out the bad food that does nothing to him and eating less than him will really be a challenge.

My exercise comes and goes but right now it's pretty good--it's at least 25 minutes a day (30 Day Shred) plus maybe some walking or hiking. So it's really the eating that's stalling my weight loss. I really think there will be some grief going on when start trimming the fat, so to speak.

As for clothes (not many people commented on that), I wear dresses! Easy to buy, on my shape (pear) they look good, and depending on the cut, can really hide my disliked parts. I own like 2 pairs of pants because a) it's so hard to find pants that fit my big butt and short legs and b) if they fit, they might not look that flattering--it's just adding definition to my worst area, which is my lower body. Plus I have no clue what size I am... a 14 could to baggy on me or maybe I wouldn't be able to pull them up past my knees.

I also think people overestimate my size... someone with my proportions and taller would wear a much larger size. Whenever I get free t-shirts, they usually hand me a XL and then I swim in it with it coming down to my knees. I usually get a kicked out of their embarrassed expression then--way to judge, jerk! :devil:

jahjah1223
10-10-2008, 07:50 PM
My doc says I am 5'2.. I say I am 5'3. He obviously can't measure correctly :P

Thank you for suggesting YouTube for exercise videos! I never thought about YouTube as good for anything besides funny cat videos :)

haha that's what i always say :o i just think im 5'2 and some change lol

mermaid20
10-12-2008, 02:05 PM
It is funny how we can be the same height and weight and yet our clothing size will still be different. When I was 108 pounds I squeezed into a size 4. A few years ago when I was 125 pounds I fit into a size 6/7. I am now back down to 125 pounds, yet I am still wearing a 9/10. It's very odd that at the same weight I am wearing such different sizes. That is why I prefer dresses over pants too. I feel I always look my best and skinnier in dresses and skirts.

As for exercise, I do really like the 30 day shred workout and should be doing it everyday, but I only do it twice a week. Are you finding you are getting good results from it? I was reading the 30 day shred thread and some said they are losing weight, some said they are losing inches... I'm just curious as to everyone elses results.

This is a great thread! I don't have too many friends as short as I am so I don't exactly know what a good weight would be. Granted I know we are all different and some of you can weigh 125 lbs and be a size 4 (at that weight, I was pretty fit, had completed a triathlon, and was still as size 10).

Eating is my biggest downfall--I want to eat like everyone else! My current partner in crime is a 6'1 fella, 135 lbs (down 10 lbs since moving to Korea with me) and can eat whatever the **** he wants. So here's me 1 foot shorter, 30 lbs heavier, generally eating the same portions as him. I've lost like 1 lb since being here. ... Anyways, cutting out the bad food that does nothing to him and eating less than him will really be a challenge.

My exercise comes and goes but right now it's pretty good--it's at least 25 minutes a day (30 Day Shred) plus maybe some walking or hiking. So it's really the eating that's stalling my weight loss. I really think there will be some grief going on when start trimming the fat, so to speak.

As for clothes (not many people commented on that), I wear dresses! Easy to buy, on my shape (pear) they look good, and depending on the cut, can really hide my disliked parts. I own like 2 pairs of pants because a) it's so hard to find pants that fit my big butt and short legs and b) if they fit, they might not look that flattering--it's just adding definition to my worst area, which is my lower body. Plus I have no clue what size I am... a 14 could to baggy on me or maybe I wouldn't be able to pull them up past my knees.

I also think people overestimate my size... someone with my proportions and taller would wear a much larger size. Whenever I get free t-shirts, they usually hand me a XL and then I swim in it with it coming down to my knees. I usually get a kicked out of their embarrassed expression then--way to judge, jerk! :devil:

joyra
10-12-2008, 06:53 PM
I totally recommend the 30 Day Shred everyday! I don't know if results would show up the same if you only did it a couple times a week.. ??? Anyways, I lost a couple lbs instantly and then none. After 5 days I had already lost a little bit of size in my waist and thighs. I am going to re-measure myself every 5 days (for motivation--the scale really isn't moving so quickly). The support in that thread is great--if not for them, I'd probably have quit or skipped some days.

ZetaMD2Be
10-13-2008, 05:02 AM
Hi Everyone! I'm a shortie too -- 5'0'' if I'm pushing it... I think I'm more like 4'11.5''. Right now, I'm just adding in some exercise to my week-- aiming for 45 min workouts 4 times a week. I've also made it a point to try and drink 80oz of water each day and take my multivitamin. Other than that, I haven't made great effort to change my eating habits, but that's going to be my new goal for November. October is a hard month for me due to school and my current rotation in school (OB/Gyn) -- it just doesn't lend itself to strict eating habits. I'm lucky if I have time to eat lunch at all some days. I've never been good with counting calories or points, so I'm just going to try and change my portions and eat more veggies than anything else. If that doesn't work out for me, I'll move to a stricter diet of some sort (that's a bridge I'll cross when i get to it).

I hope everyone had a great weekend!

Losing4another
10-13-2008, 08:15 AM
Zeta- I'm starting slow as well. Cutting one bad habit at a time. This week I'm going to try and get 3 days of exercise in. Work my way up to going to the gym 5 days a week and staying for 45 mintues. Also adding a walk with my dogs in the evenings. I know the more exercise I do the better I feel. I think twice before messing up my whole day with fast food or some other high fat food. Just need to figure out a plan for the weekend...I'm home with the family and all they want to do is eat :yikes:

ahill1979
10-13-2008, 08:49 AM
Hey guys, I was reading where someone said that even if they lost 100 lbs they would still be overweight. I feel your pain. I have lost about 128 lbs and I am still obese. I did start out morbidly obese so it is getting better, but sometimes being so short bites. :)

RangerChic
10-13-2008, 09:05 AM
I'm on the east coast central florida area :cool: I've been here since my family moved here back when I was eight years old from TX...which was a long time ago :lol: 22 years.

I lived in the south Orlando area, where my parents still are. :)

RangerChic
10-13-2008, 09:08 AM
WATER!!!! Agh, learn to drink water, or at least low calorie drink mixes in water. The more water you have flowing through your body, the better. I drink 16 oz at a time so I don't feel overwhelmed by the booming "eeiiiight glasses a daaaaay!" directive.

Yeah, I just quit soda totally as of yesterday (Sunday). Before that, I was only drinking a cup of coke zero in the morning, but now nada! So, all I really drink all day is water, some flavored with the low-cal mixes like crystal light as well. It is amazing how much better you feel when you aren't drinking sugar all day! :)

RangerChic
10-13-2008, 09:10 AM
Oh, and I do the Biggest Loser videos along with working out in my apartment's fitness center. I love Jillian, but wonder how difficult her 30-day Shred is. I have a couple of her other videos and am working up to being able to do them.

dollypie
10-13-2008, 09:25 AM
I would love to jump in here at 5'2". I am just getting back to counting calories and aiming for a 1500 a day. Before having my darling daughter I was exercising 5x a week and averaging 1500 calories. This worked out really well for me. Today I made it back to the gym in the early morning hour and it felt great. It just gives me so much energy in the morning.

ZetaMD2Be
10-13-2008, 04:15 PM
Oh, and I do the Biggest Loser videos along with working out in my apartment's fitness center. I love Jillian, but wonder how difficult her 30-day Shred is. I have a couple of her other videos and am working up to being able to do them.

Hey RangerChic, a lot of people swear by her 30 Day Shred. It kicked my butt. After doing it twice I decided maybe I need to start off a bit slower. It was hard for me to get through the first 10 min. I think I'm going to try it again in November after I've got a solid month of exercise under my belt. Good luck if you're up to the challenge!

MarStevens
10-13-2008, 05:29 PM
Hey all!

I'm new to everything here on this site..but I definitely fit in on this thread!

I'm 5'1 (5'2 if I tease my hair LOL)..and I'm 176..a tight sz 14 pants; I can't wear clothes from the "plus" section as they are TOO big on me the size 14's..and the shirts too..
but I'm too big for the regular sections too ..talk about discouraging!

Petite's are just a bit too short for me in every aspect; plus I am a 36DD so thats playing against me too..

(and hubby wonders why I don't get clothing!!)

anyway...for the last year I have been a martial artist in TaeKwonDo..now some schools are "fluffy" but I purposely picked this 7th degree black belt Master instructor to kick my butt!

and he does!

I usually get there 2 times a week on the week dh is home..the wk he works his 77 hrs in one wk; I don't get there at all except to drop my kids off..cause i have 2 small children that i need to take care of..
(17, 10, 4 and 2)

he doesnt turn on the air etc..he actually turns on the heat! UgH in Illinois; middle of summer and the heat on! ackk..but it is a great workout!

The first few times I thought I was going to pass out, I did get sick in class; he stopped class and waited for me...said I worked my abdominal muscles really good right then..then made me get back in line..

We have 1 1/2 hrs of workout; the first 1/2 is situps (about 100 or more..sometimes about 200 depends on if we make him upset lol)..leg lunges and pushups are interchanged and not necessarily every day for them..we do lots of VERY FAST active kicks, turns and punches ..

when we spar (fight) we have 30 to 1 min rounds and every spars the entire time..usually lasting about 15-25 min..

I leave and I am completely soaked from sweat..so I know I burn calories there..my issue is I've GAINED weight..I know its muscle..but now the muscle pushes my fat out more lol...

so..he used to help train witht he Chicago Bears years years ago; he rec'd the US Ski Team diet and a few people in our school have used it lately and lost anywhere from 12 to 22 lbs in 2 wks..

so out of desperation I am trying it..altho I hate grapefruit, hate tomatoes raw, dislike cabbage and spinach...the other stuff I can handle..but its a chemical based diet..so we're trying it for 2 wks (thats all you can do..)..

I just need a jump start..the other jumpstart is that this is making me eat..that was 90% of my issue..I never ate..literally; then when I did (late night while working from home after kiddos went tos leep) I binged big time..

AND it is making me drink UNsweetened tea..

so...there is good n bad w/it I think...

MBN
10-14-2008, 06:17 AM
Hi fellow shorties -- I'm a little late to this thread ...

I'm 5'2" too, in maintenance, and I figure that my baseline calorie needs (without exercise) is around 1200-1300 calories per day. Sucks, but that's what my tracking over time tells me. I strive to burn between 400-500 calories per day in exercise (and I do work out pretty much every day, with rare exception), so my actual maintenance calorie "budget" is around 1600-1700 calories. I have to be very careful to measure accurately, because it's really easy to underestimate calorie intake.

What I find that happens, though, is that maintenance for me is a series of mini yo-yos. I go on vacation or a business trip and gain several pounds because I'm totally off plan. Then I come back home, drop my calories back to 1200 per day and spend the next 4 weeks taking it off at a half pound per week. I stay pretty good until my next trip and repeat the cycle. I wish I were more consistent .... but maybe this is what maintainence really is ? I never go below 1200 for any length of time though, because that sets me up for binging, big time. 1200 seems to be the lowest, sustainable calorie level for me.

Size-wise, I'm either a 2 or 4 petite, depending on the brand.

RangerChic
10-14-2008, 08:23 AM
Hey RangerChic, a lot of people swear by her 30 Day Shred. It kicked my butt. After doing it twice I decided maybe I need to start off a bit slower. It was hard for me to get through the first 10 min. I think I'm going to try it again in November after I've got a solid month of exercise under my belt. Good luck if you're up to the challenge!

Hmmm...maybe I'll pick it up in a couple weeks since then I'll have been working out and all for a month. :)

mermaid20
10-14-2008, 09:40 AM
Congrats MBN- I still have plenty of weight left to lose, but one of my motivations to lose it is dreaming of the maintaining stage... do you feel it is easier to maintain then it was to lose, or is that a misconception?

MarStevens- food is my weakness. I'm just trying to take it slow. Slowly cut out the food that is bad for me, if I eat something unhealthy I try to make sure it is the only bad thing I ate that day. It's not easy, but you can't deprive yourself of everything. AND i also always fall in between sizes. Everything always seems too big or too small so shopping is never any fun because I try on clothes for 2 hours and walk away with one misfitting item.

RangerChick- 30 day shred is hard, but kind of fun actually. Before that I was doing Bob's 20 minute segment of cardio max. I found some of that to be really hard too. What's your favorite biggest loser workout?

RangerChic
10-14-2008, 10:08 AM
RangerChick- 30 day shred is hard, but kind of fun actually. Before that I was doing Bob's 20 minute segment of cardio max. I found some of that to be really hard too. What's your favorite biggest loser workout?

Hey mermaid, my fav is the first dvd, all of it. I love working out with Suzy and Drea especially. Though, I do think the 2nd set of dvds is harder which is good in that it keeps you growing and everything.

MBN
10-14-2008, 12:54 PM
Congrats MBN- I still have plenty of weight left to lose, but one of my motivations to lose it is dreaming of the maintaining stage... do you feel it is easier to maintain then it was to lose, or is that a misconception?

I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but in many ways, I find it just as hard to maintain as to lose. I still count calories, I still watch what I eat and log it daily, I still work out faithfully, I weigh and monitor regularly, I just have about 300-400 more calories per day leeway. That's it! On the other hand, I now reap all of the benefits of my weight loss -- better endurance, improved health, cute clothes! :D

It's seeing the benefits that keeps me on track, I don't want to backslide!! (again) I've yo-yo'd many times over the years, so I'm much better at weight loss than maintenance. But, I've been here for over 9 months now and counting and I'm determined to stay here this time. The difference is that I've finally accepted that I have to do these things permanently, and monitor diligently. Where I failed before is that I viewed the "diet" as temporary and stopped watching ... then the weight slowly crept on again. This has to be a lifestyle, and not some temporary thing. Hopefully I've finally got it this time!!

maui
10-14-2008, 05:27 PM
Mermaid:

My partner is 5' even and has lost weight on a new meal plan called Fat Mom Skinny Mom. The food is great and very affordable. hope this helps.:carrot:

kamesennin
10-14-2008, 10:47 PM
Hey all. I went to the chiropractor for the first time in my life today. It was great--I can finally sit up straight. I feel taller too. Most times my legs are too short to reach the floor when I sit in chairs unless I sit at the very edge. I feel like this has contributed to my back problems. I just had a baby too so now my hip bone (or whatever that is called) is back in place! Yay.

Newshinyme
10-15-2008, 07:44 PM
I never believed in chiropractic until I started going for myself and I have to say, it does make a difference, my hubby used to get this really bad migraines and I am happy to say that now he does not get them as often/severely as before. The biggest thing I noticed, other than now standing straight and evenly is that my periods became almost painless, I am not going to complain about that :)

aino
10-16-2008, 07:51 PM
i'm a big fan of massages and stuff, but i have never been to a chiropractor yet.. sounds like everyone who's gone has had psoitive experiences! Would love to check it out... I get migraines at least once a month...

kamesennin
10-17-2008, 01:33 AM
i'm a big fan of massages and stuff, but i have never been to a chiropractor yet.. sounds like everyone who's gone has had psoitive experiences! Would love to check it out... I get migraines at least once a month...

Ooo migranes sound soooo painful. I've never had one but I bet if feels like you want to die. A few chiro visits might just be what you need! It's weird I seriously feel like I can walk better now. I go in again tomorrow.

mermaid20
10-17-2008, 10:02 AM
How is everyone doing?

I'm having a few problems. one is that my weight loss is slowing to a halt. I lost around 10 pounds in one month and now the second month mark is approaching and i think i only lost 1-2 pounds. I'm supposed to be eating 1200 calories but it is SO hard and I usually eat around 1400-1600. So To make up for that I should be exercising hardcore. But I am so beyond lazy and hard to motivate when it comes to physical activity that if I do get in a workout, it is usually only 30 minutes and that only burns 150 calories at most.

my second problem is i feel that due to being more conscious of my body now, i am actually feeling less secure and have less self esteem then before i lost the weight. I never really felt bad about my body until I saw 138 on the scale and overheard my parents talking about how I was fat and they wished i would lose some weight. Right now I am at 124.5 and all I see is the fat I have left to lose and I just hate looking in the mirror, getting dressed, I'm always worried about how I am sitting or standing because I don't want to emphasize the tire of fat i have on my stomach. I am also upset because in undergraduate school when I was 125 I was fitting into size 6 and I looked more toned and fit. Now I'm a 9, 3 sizes bigger at least and I'm assuming thats due to more fat less muscle... but it's still upsetting. I want my old body back.

kamesennin
10-17-2008, 02:30 PM
How is everyone doing?

I'm having a few problems. one is that my weight loss is slowing to a halt. I lost around 10 pounds in one month and now the second month mark is approaching and i think i only lost 1-2 pounds. I'm supposed to be eating 1200 calories but it is SO hard and I usually eat around 1400-1600. So To make up for that I should be exercising hardcore. But I am so beyond lazy and hard to motivate when it comes to physical activity that if I do get in a workout, it is usually only 30 minutes and that only burns 150 calories at most.

my second problem is i feel that due to being more conscious of my body now, i am actually feeling less secure and have less self esteem then before i lost the weight. I never really felt bad about my body until I saw 138 on the scale and overheard my parents talking about how I was fat and they wished i would lose some weight. Right now I am at 124.5 and all I see is the fat I have left to lose and I just hate looking in the mirror, getting dressed, I'm always worried about how I am sitting or standing because I don't want to emphasize the tire of fat i have on my stomach. I am also upset because in undergraduate school when I was 125 I was fitting into size 6 and I looked more toned and fit. Now I'm a 9, 3 sizes bigger at least and I'm assuming thats due to more fat less muscle... but it's still upsetting. I want my old body back.

How about doing more weight training, taking a class or finding something fun to do for exercise? I would kill to be 125 but it is all about self body image, I guess. Do you feel better adopting a healthier lifestyle? Even though I am ~30 lbs overweight I feel strong and healthy with the changes I have made in diet and exercise. That in itself motivates me to keep going. PS 1200 seems awfully low, I could never keep going on that even if I wasn't bfing.

tinamae
10-17-2008, 07:28 PM
I have put on 8 pounds since early May and it has soo made so much of a difference. My clothes fit so much tighter. I think if I weighed 5'5 or taller, such a small weight gain wouldn't make so much of a difference.

Newshinyme
10-17-2008, 07:56 PM
I have put on 8 pounds since early May and it has soo made so much of a difference. My clothes fit so much tighter. I think if I weighed 5'5 or taller, such a small weight gain wouldn't make so much of a difference.

*sigh* I know..... I generally like being short (maybe it's that I am used to it hehe), except when it comes to the weight thing. Even a few pounds do make a big difference in our bodies.

mermaid20
10-17-2008, 10:05 PM
I totally agree.

mermaid20
10-19-2008, 01:31 PM
I have gained about two pounds in the past 3 days! I need to get motivated again to exercise... I don't want to watch my work get ruined by letting the weight creep back up. I want to keep going down... if only it was easy...
sigh.. 18 more pounds to go to hit my first mini-goal.

hereyago
10-21-2008, 10:21 AM
Hi All,

I am 4'10", and try to stay around 1200 to 1300 calories a day. When eating out most portion sizes are way too large for most people, but are really off for me.

I have been trying to lose weight and have watched my weight for many years. I have worked out an hour a day, 5 days a week for years and just never seemed to be able to shed even a few pounds. The only thing that ever worked was Phentermine with all of its wacky side effects. As soon as I came off of it, the weight came back.

So a few weeks ago I bought the Sensewear armband (similar to the Bodybugg that The Biggest Loser Contestants wear on the show). What it has done for me is confirm that I just don't burn a lot of calories in a day - sedentary job, long commute in the car every day. Without exercise, I only burn about 1400 calories a day which is the calorie requirements for dieters. On the weekends, I can burn about 2,000 calories a day without exercise because I am running around and doing housework.

I have changed my behavior over the last two weeks to try and hit 2,000 calories every day (exercising vigorously for an hour during the week) and eating 1300 calories. I am having some success which I am excited about.

This technology was expensive, but I had to start understanding what was wrong so I can try and lose weight.

Anyway, enough about that.

mermaid20
10-21-2008, 08:09 PM
id love to try that, where can i look into that?

Hi All,

I am 4'10", and try to stay around 1200 to 1300 calories a day. When eating out most portion sizes are way too large for most people, but are really off for me.

I have been trying to lose weight and have watched my weight for many years. I have worked out an hour a day, 5 days a week for years and just never seemed to be able to shed even a few pounds. The only thing that ever worked was Phentermine with all of its wacky side effects. As soon as I came off of it, the weight came back.

So a few weeks ago I bought the Sensewear armband (similar to the Bodybugg that The Biggest Loser Contestants wear on the show). What it has done for me is confirm that I just don't burn a lot of calories in a day - sedentary job, long commute in the car every day. Without exercise, I only burn about 1400 calories a day which is the calorie requirements for dieters. On the weekends, I can burn about 2,000 calories a day without exercise because I am running around and doing housework.

I have changed my behavior over the last two weeks to try and hit 2,000 calories every day (exercising vigorously for an hour during the week) and eating 1300 calories. I am having some success which I am excited about.

This technology was expensive, but I had to start understanding what was wrong so I can try and lose weight.

Anyway, enough about that.

ZetaMD2Be
10-21-2008, 11:35 PM
Hey Ladies!

After a seriously disasterous weekend, exercise wise, I hoped on the scale Monday morning expecting to see a gain.. but I lost a pound! YIPPEE!!! Gotta love the small victories!!!

Cassie

hereyago
10-22-2008, 09:33 AM

You can go to myminifly.com or to sensewear.com to read about it. There is also a thread on the 3fc forum where people talk about their experiences. Just search for "sensewear" or "bodybugg".

Can be bought online or available at 24 hour fitness gyms. I bought mine online.

Have to warn you it is pricey. You pay for the device, and a few accessories, then an online subscription to their webserver to upload your data. I justified the price because nothing else was working.

Hope that helps.

Newshinyme
10-22-2008, 02:15 PM

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146354&highlight=bodybugg

this is an awesome post about it, it will give you lots of information

mermaid: could it be that your weight gain is just water retention? 2 lbs in 3 days seems a bit much, that would mean that you ate 7000 extra calories!, maybe TOM, not enough water or lots of salty stuff?
For exercise, I've found that going into one of the exercise accountability threads really helps me stay on track, I am not perfect, but at least I keep trying :)

Cassie: Congratulations! :carrot:

mermaid20
10-22-2008, 06:36 PM
Congrats Cassie!!

I'm setting my mini-goal for November 1st. I don't have a weight goal, but it's more of a check in date, since that will conclude my first two months trying to get healthy and skinny!

I need to join some exercise threads so that I stay motivated to work out. Any recommendations?

mermaid20
10-22-2008, 06:38 PM
Hey Ladies!

After a seriously disasterous weekend, exercise wise, I hoped on the scale Monday morning expecting to see a gain.. but I lost a pound! YIPPEE!!! Gotta love the small victories!!!

Cassie

Sometimes I find that if I'm good all week (with eating AND exercise) and I go moderately crazy on the weekends, I still end up losing weight by the next mid-week. I try to not worry so much on friday and saturday but sunday-thursday I try my hardest to eat right and work out. It seems to be working!

RedKat
10-23-2008, 11:29 AM
I'm checking in, at 4'10 1/2"....And it's frustrating, i have friends that weigh the same as me yet because of their height they look fab! And my back is the worst, i store it all there, and no exercise seems to target it, my doc told me I just have to lose a bit more to get rid of it....

aino
10-26-2008, 12:53 PM
i have back aches too, redkat - my biggest problem is the size of my boobs -- :( Which puts added pressure on my back. Still, I do know that when I reach my optimal weight, the aches lessen, at least in intensity!

So I'd dropped off blogland and the msg boards for a couple of weeks --- but the damage hasn't been bad - i havne't lost anything, but i havne't gained anything -- yay for small victories? :D

mermaid20
10-26-2008, 02:33 PM
Yes, yay for small victories I hope.

i gain and lose the same pounds, maintaining a weight of 123/124... with the holidays coming up in nov/dec, i am just hoping I don't gain at this point.

Any suggestions on how to jump start a stalled weight loss? I'd like to keep going down to get closer to my goals.

Tonja81
10-27-2008, 04:00 AM
Another fellow shorty right here! *raises hand* I come in at about 5'1"...maybe 5'2" if I'm lucky! LOL I get very frustrated when I have to buy jeans/bottoms.

rockinrobin
10-27-2008, 07:44 AM
i gain and lose the same pounds, maintaining a weight of 123/124... with the holidays coming up in nov/dec, i am just hoping I don't gain at this point.

Any suggestions on how to jump start a stalled weight loss? I'd like to keep going down to get closer to my goals.

Mermaid, what you are currently eating now? Are you being very consistient? I find that it is the key to steady weight loss - oh and patience. Are you tracking your calories? Closely? What kinds of foods are you eating? How's the exercise been going? Cause really the only way to "jump start" weight loss is to restrict calories, eating cleaning and exercising. Let us know what you've been up to so we can suggest how you can kick things up a notch, so to speak.

aino
10-27-2008, 11:21 AM
Good Monday morning, ladies! It's the start of the last week in October - so how about a quick challenge to keep us on track, and get us ready for November?

Here's what I suggest -
1. Do ONE thing health/food/weight related that you've been neglecting/avoiding doing, or that could use some improvement/change. Examples: drinking 6-8 glasses of water, exercising 30 mins a day etc...
2. Log on at least once a day (monday to friday) to let us know if and how you've done!

I'll start: from Monday to Friday, no soda for me! :)

Newshinyme
10-27-2008, 05:22 PM
Me: Exercise 4x/wk for at least 30 min.

mermaid20
10-27-2008, 05:30 PM
rockinrobin- you mean i should be eating the same things everyday? Does that really help/make a difference? I'm not consistent as I like to mix it up. i try for a lot of fruits and veggies throughout the day as snacks and sides.

For breakfast i have special K cereal and fruit everyday. But my lunches and dinners always vary.

i don't think I drink enough water and I need more exercise, but i feel that my diet part is going well since I have cut down my calorie intake by at least half and I'm eating a lot healthier then ever before.

I used to have garlic bread, baked ziti, loaded nachos, tons of cheese on breads, plain bread and butter with stuffed shells or ravioli, soda once or twice a day, chocolate, cookies, ... i mean, you name it. Sometimes those items would be lunch, dinner and snack all in one day!

Now it's cereal, fruits and veggies, hummus, healthier breads (never more than 2 slices), a little turkey or chicken now and then, squash, sweet potato, and only water. I don't know how I haven't lost more weight considering all i gave up and how many calories I cut on a daily basis.

mermaid20
10-27-2008, 05:31 PM
My goal: Exercise at least three times a week for at least 25 minutes...

ugh =(

mermaid20
10-27-2008, 05:37 PM
Another fellow shorty right here! *raises hand* I come in at about 5'1"...maybe 5'2" if I'm lucky! LOL I get very frustrated when I have to buy jeans/bottoms.

welcome i wish i lived in the warm weather...

aino
10-27-2008, 07:40 PM
rockinrobin- you mean i should be eating the same things everyday? Does that really help/make a difference? I'm not consistent as I like to mix it up. i try for a lot of fruits and veggies throughout the day as snacks and sides.

For breakfast i have special K cereal and fruit everyday. But my lunches and dinners always vary.

i don't think I drink enough water and I need more exercise, but i feel that my diet part is going well since I have cut down my calorie intake by at least half and I'm eating a lot healthier then ever before.

I used to have garlic bread, baked ziti, loaded nachos, tons of cheese on breads, plain bread and butter with stuffed shells or ravioli, soda once or twice a day, chocolate, cookies, ... i mean, you name it. Sometimes those items would be lunch, dinner and snack all in one day!

Now it's cereal, fruits and veggies, hummus, healthier breads (never more than 2 slices), a little turkey or chicken now and then, squash, sweet potato, and only water. I don't know how I haven't lost more weight considering all i gave up and how many calories I cut on a daily basis.

Sounds like you're doing great on the food front! Are you eating around 1200-1500 calories these days!? It sucks being stuck in a plateau, but may be if you tried a different exercises? I mean, if you have run, maybe you could try kickboxing...if you do yoga, then maybe pilates would be interesting..? I think what happened is that your body is now used to the level of calories/exercise you do- and needs a shakeup - not necessarily a reduction in calories or an increase in fitness activities, but just a change. It might be just the jumpstart your body needs! :)

mermaid20
10-27-2008, 08:52 PM
thanks for the advice aino.

come to think of it, when i was trying out different exercises i was losing more weight, but now that i stick to one exercise routine, it has slowed. maybe i do need to switch it up a bit.

rockinrobin
10-27-2008, 09:21 PM

No, no, no Mermaid. I didn't mean consistient with the FOODS that you eat, I meant consisitient with sticking to your plan.

Sounds like you're eating some good stuff. Just wondering though, are you tracking your calories??? It's so easy to overdo it - even on the healthy stuff.

Exercise can do wonders. Wonders. I think you might want to aim a tad higher then 3x a week, 25 minutes if you want to see better results, IMO. I really can't stress how important it is, at least for me, to add in some kind of formal exercise. We need all the help we can get in burning up those calories and creating a calorie deficit.

You may never love to DO exercise, but you will absolutely adore what it can do for your body.

Newshinyme
10-28-2008, 07:11 PM
Hi guys,
Just checking in with my goals, I did 20 min cardio, 30 min firming today

1 down, 3 to go :)

aino
10-28-2008, 07:33 PM
Hi guys,
Just checking in with my goals, I did 20 min cardio, 30 min firming today

1 down, 3 to go :)
way to go!< newshinyme! :)

I'm checking in as well: one day soda-free! :D 4 more to go! :D

kamesennin
10-28-2008, 08:50 PM
way to go!< newshinyme! :)

I'm checking in as well: one day soda-free! :D 4 more to go! :D

Hi Aino, are you in Northern or Southern California? I live in San Mateo. :) Yay for no soda!

I walked out of Barnes and Nobles today without a cookie. I am so depressed today and I wanted it really bad but I didn't get it. I need a freaking medal of honor or something, seriously. What should I eat now that I am at home?

mermaid20
10-29-2008, 04:42 PM
Congrats on resisting that cookie kamesennin- i WISH i had your self control. I was tempted to eat gummi bears so I ate an entire serving! I couldn't stop even after i felt sick of them. You've made great progress on your weight loss. How have you been doing it? Care to share some tips/advice/information with the rest of us?

Goal check in for me... 2 days of 25 minutes of exercise. One more day to go!

aino
10-29-2008, 06:05 PM
Hi Aino, are you in Northern or Southern California? I live in San Mateo. :) Yay for no soda!

I walked out of Barnes and Nobles today without a cookie. I am so depressed today and I wanted it really bad but I didn't get it. I need a freaking medal of honor or something, seriously. What should I eat now that I am at home?

OOo kamesennin: I live in Santa Clara :) Howdy, "neighbour" ! :)

And here's an awesome ":yay::yay::yay: happy confetti your way for resisting that cookie! It's the little things that'll add up, yes!? :D

aino
10-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Congrats on resisting that cookie kamesennin- i WISH i had your self control. I was tempted to eat gummi bears so I ate an entire serving! I couldn't stop even after i felt sick of them. You've made great progress on your weight loss. How have you been doing it? Care to share some tips/advice/information with the rest of us?

Awesome job girl!

I have to confess I had half a glass of coke today! Went out for lunch with coworkers, and totally forgot about my no soda rule - ordered by usual coke, drank about half of it, before i remmebered! :(

At least it was ne of those watered down, iced fountain drinks!

kamesennin
10-29-2008, 07:10 PM

Thanks! Isn't it awful when you feel sick but still keep eating? I hate it when that happens. It's like, "why am I doing this?" and then you still keep eating them.

Well after I got home I ate something else instead of the cookie. So that was good. But then later I crapped out on dinner and I went to get a pizza. BUT, it was thin crust with cheese and olives, plus I roasted some zucchini/garlic/onions/Spike in some olive oil so at least we had vegetables with the pizza.

As far as weight loss I guess I pretty much do what everyone else does--fight with myself about food nearly every single minute of the day, exercise, drink water, and try to get lots of fruit and vegetables. I have been able to keep myself from eating in between breakfast and lunch (it's only about 3 hrs but I used to be eating constantly), and keep myself out of the kitchen after 8 or 9pm. Progress is soooooo slooooow...........

kamesennin
10-29-2008, 07:11 PM
Awesome job girl!

I have to confess I had half a glass of coke today! Went out for lunch with coworkers, and totally forgot about my no soda rule - ordered by usual coke, drank about half of it, before i remmebered! :(

At least it was ne of those watered down, iced fountain drinks!

1/2 a coke is way better than the whole coke!! :carrot:

mermaid20
10-29-2008, 07:22 PM
Yeah, progress is slow... unfortunately. i guess its a never ending battle. i have to drink more water and exercise more. I've already cut back on food too much. I'm dying for some thin sliced pizza. I haven't had a slice in like... a month. I used to have it at least twice a week lol.

How long have you been trying to lose weight, kamesennin?

kamesennin
10-29-2008, 07:31 PM
Yeah, progress is slow... unfortunately. i guess its a never ending battle. i have to drink more water and exercise more. I've already cut back on food too much. I'm dying for some thin sliced pizza. I haven't had a slice in like... a month. I used to have it at least twice a week lol.

How long have you been trying to lose weight, kamesennin?

I know, pizza is evil. :devil: At least I have a skinny husband who will gobble up all the extra pieces so I don't eat too many slices. I've been trying to change my lifestyle since August or so? I had a baby so that was good for about 20 lbs right there, LOL. How long have you been at it?

mermaid20
10-29-2008, 09:51 PM
Congrats on the baby! How much do people typically gain when they have a baby? 20-30 pounds? I'm trying to lose weight so that I'll be in good shape to have a baby... (and before that-look good in a wedding dress) I've started September 1st! Almost two full months in.

kamesennin
10-31-2008, 01:54 AM
Whoa you have lost a ton of weight, mermaid! And in only 2 mo? :carrot: You must feel great. I think 20-30 lbs for a baby is ideal if you are at a good weight to begin with, but you can gain less if you have more fat reserves. Just don't do what I did! I mistakenly took pregnancy as a time to eat whatever and whenever I wanted. And I never exercised! Big mistake. I gained way too much with my first and never lost it. Then I got pregnant with my second and I just felt horrible! I think the best thing to do is to eat clean and healthy throughout the pregnancy and also keep up the exercise. With my second baby I gained only 4 lbs but I was considered "obese" on the charts, like all the medical people liked to tell me. My baby was a healthy 6 lbs 15 ounces and I lost 25 lbs after she was born. I should have laid off the ice cream with my first--but at least I am done now so I can get my body back! Wow I just wrote my life story how embarrassing. :o

aino
10-31-2008, 02:20 AM
so i was wondering if any of you have ever also dealt with depression. I have to admit that from time to time, I feel this huge sense of despair, and find it hard to believe that I'll ever lose any weight, or look good, or feel positive.

sorry for such a downer post - i just saw some pictures from a networking event i went to last night, and i just look so...

bah humbug!

mermaid20
10-31-2008, 10:54 AM
Kamesennin- thanks for the life story lol. I enjoyed it! and it's helpful, because i do like to plan ahead and I'm dying to get pregnant, so... it's information I am grateful to hear. I want my body to be in as perfect as possible shape before I decide to have kids, in hopes not to go overboard and be able to maintain a decent body/weight after the children are born. You are tiny for having two children! I applaud you on your weight loss journey so far.

aino- Yes! sometimes depression kicks in. I started a thread called "I hate my body!!" the other day, because I was having a day where I felt just like you. I actually saw pictures of what I used to look like when I was skinny, and had looked in the mirror and just felt so ugly. I can't explain how ugly I felt, I wanted to smash the mirror. Even when i'm exercising and i feel i am accomplishing something, I still have this feeling deep down that I'll never lose any weight and I won't feel any better. As I said on the other thread, even though I am considered healthy on the bmi charts, i don't feel healthy and I certainly dont look it. I'm usually a positive person, but lately, especially when trying to lose this weight, I feel negative- like I will never be satisfied with my body and constantly disgusted by myself and my excess weight. Change just takes such a long time, I'm too impatient in this process. I want more immediate results, so I get depressed.

mermaid20
11-05-2008, 04:05 PM
any short girls still out there?

lets talk. how is everyone doing?

kamesennin
11-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Still here although I've been avoiding my scale the past few days. Halloween and then the election has kind of done some damage. I'm trying to exercise more to make up for it. Also, I leave for a trip tomorrow and I haven't packed yet. How on earth am I going to make it on the plane with two kids. What was I thinking. :dizzy::dizzy:

I finally got around to hemming my new jeans and came across this method for hemming: http://www.sketchee.com/963/hemming-jeans-like-a-pro I have yet to try it but it looks so much easier than what I have been doing. I usually cut off the excess and double fold a hem and then sew.

I also got a new bra at Target!!! I broke down and got an underwire and now my boobs are back where they belong, about 5 inches higher. LOL

mermaid20
11-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Yeah, why is it that we lose all our weight from our chests? I've been a B cup my entire life, until I gained a lot of weight. I became a small C cup. Well, now that I started to lose the weight I gained, I went down to an A! I'm still 20 pounds heavier than I was at my smallest, yet for some reason, my chest went down to a large A cup. I've never been that in my life. I miss my B cup chest! Where did it go and is the only way to get it back through weight lol??

Also, I really wanted to discuss hip to waist ratio... everything i research and read is for/by tall people. The standard 34-24-36 figures are for people 5'7 or taller! I want to know what is typical for someone 5'0 or around that height. I know our ratio is supposed to be under .8 or some places even say under .7, but I'd like to find out what other peoples measurements are that are 5'2 and under... please list yours. I'll start. I am 34-27-34. Is this average for people our height? Will I be able to ever have a 24 inch waist do you think?

AngelMae
11-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Hey everyone! I guess I didnt realize this thread was taking off so much!! Well just checking in and saying HI!! I will be sure to check the thread more often!

LandonsBaby
11-06-2008, 10:12 PM
I'm here. Sorta. I'm miserable and I don't care if I'm fat this week. There will be other weeks. Right now I have a fever and I think my head might explode.

LandonsBaby
11-06-2008, 10:14 PM
oh, you want measurements. okay. well, i'm currently still obese at 146lbs (I think. I didn't weigh myself last week). right now my measurements are 38-31-45. It would be nice if I lost another 5 inches in my waist and 5 inches in my hips and got to keep my chest...but that isn't going to happen!

mermaid20
11-06-2008, 10:42 PM
LandonsBaby, don't get discouraged. I know it is so easy to, and I have fallen into those same feelings time and time again. But it just means you lost track. Because You have lost 16.5 inches and 17 pounds and those are amazing accomplishments that took a lot to do! I admire that. I have to say, i thought this lifestyle change would be easier and quicker, and now i realize, how special it is to be able to lose one pound, and keep it off. It is difficult. Yes, we will still be upset with our progress, yes we will still think we are too fat, but look at us making this effort to lose weight and doing something about it! I applaud us for that. I am upset with my waist size and and losing my bust, however, i have to just be happy for what i did lose already and i guess invest a ton of money in new bras or something... lol. this thread is always here to rant or rave too. I was having a couple of bad days earlier in the week, and i was upset i didnt exercise today, but i am going to sleep with optimism that after this weekend, i might do better.

MBN
11-07-2008, 06:59 AM
Yeah, why is it that we lose all our weight from our chests? <snip>

Also, I really wanted to discuss hip to waist ratio... everything i research and read is for/by tall people. The standard 34-24-36 figures are for people 5'7 or taller! I want to know what is typical for someone 5'0 or around that height. I know our ratio is supposed to be under .8 or some places even say under .7, but I'd like to find out what other peoples measurements are that are 5'2 and under... please list yours. I'll start. I am 34-27-34. Is this average for people our height? Will I be able to ever have a 24 inch waist do you think?

Yeah, well, I feel your pain!! I'm now a 32A bra size ... about the same as a 12 year old in a training bra!! On the other hand, camisoles are really fun to wear, and finding effective running sports bras really isn't an issue. ;)

I have no idea what is "average", is there such a thing?? I am currently right about 33-26-34. That gives me a waist/hip ratio right around .7, which does fit within the guidelines. After 2 kids and at my age (pushing 50), I don't think a 24 inch waist is in the cards. I'm just happy that for the first time in my adult life, my hip measurement is within 2 inches of my bust. That makes me an hourglass instead of a pear! Now, if my thighs would just get with the program, then I'll be all set .... :p

MBN
11-07-2008, 07:14 AM
oh, you want measurements. okay. well, i'm currently still obese at 146lbs (I think. I didn't weigh myself last week). right now my measurements are 38-31-45. It would be nice if I lost another 5 inches in my waist and 5 inches in my hips and got to keep my chest...but that isn't going to happen!

Unfortunately, no, we don't get to choose where the weight comes off! But if it's any consolation, I can share that I lost way more off my hips than my boobs, because that's where I had it to lose! I didn't measure when I started losing weight at 150, and I wish I had now for comparison. But in losing weight from 135 pounds to 115 pounds, I also lost 6 inches off of my hips, and only another inch or so off of my bust. A lot of that was due to regular exercise, running and weight lifting, which did a LOT to reshape my body. I also strength-train to build my my upper body muscles, to try to visually balance out the top and bottom. So, IMO, body fat comes off where it will, but we can add muscle and tone up through exercise and have a lot of influence on our body shape. It just takes time!! It took me a year .....

RedKat
11-07-2008, 07:29 AM
What is simply amazing to me, is that I still don't look that different after losing 50 pounds. I am now currently 143 pounds, I am aiming to be around 110 but my doc said even 120 would be ideal. Yet I look at my body and I cannot see that just 23 more pounds will do it. I still look extremely heavy, and although I know extra skin will be a factor, I just don't see how 23 more pounds, or even 30 will make the difference. I still have a huge belly and my back is scaaaarrrry.

AngelMae
11-07-2008, 09:41 AM
Yeah, well, I feel your pain!! I'm now a 32A bra size ... about the same as a 12 year old in a training bra!! On the other hand, camisoles are really fun to wear, and finding effective running sports bras really isn't an issue. ;)

I have no idea what is "average", is there such a thing?? I am currently right about 33-26-34. That gives me a waist/hip ratio right around .7, which does fit within the guidelines. After 2 kids and at my age (pushing 50), I don't think a 24 inch waist is in the cards. I'm just happy that for the first time in my adult life, my hip measurement is within 2 inches of my bust. That makes me an hourglass instead of a pear! Now, if my thighs would just get with the program, then I'll be all set .... :p

I wish I could feel your pain!! Mine is a pain the back, I am a 40DD!! No fun!!

LandonsBaby
11-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Unfortunately, no, we don't get to choose where the weight comes off! But if it's any consolation, I can share that I lost way more off my hips than my boobs, because that's where I had it to lose! I didn't measure when I started losing weight at 150, and I wish I had now for comparison. But in losing weight from 135 pounds to 115 pounds, I also lost 6 inches off of my hips, and only another inch or so off of my bust. A lot of that was due to regular exercise, running and weight lifting, which did a LOT to reshape my body. I also strength-train to build my my upper body muscles, to try to visually balance out the top and bottom. So, IMO, body fat comes off where it will, but we can add muscle and tone up through exercise and have a lot of influence on our body shape. It just takes time!! It took me a year .....

I was pretty flat chested when I was thinner so I'm expecting to go back to that. I actually have changed my goal weight quite a bit so I can maintain some boobage. Haha.

Mermaid, I'm not discouraged, I'm just really sick. Yesterday I could barely get out of bed...so I really didn't care how fat I was! Today my head is feeling better but I'm still sick and I think I'll go lay down again. I don't beat myself up about my weight, especially when I'm sick. Getting better is top priority. And if I needed ice cream to do that, well, then I'm willing to sacrifice. :D

LandonsBaby
11-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Redkat, I bet there is a big difference your brain just hasn't adjusted yet. You've been so focused on seeing the bad things about your body that you can't see the good. You have to change the way you look at yourself and the way you think about your body. It takes looking at those positive things and not focusing on the things that still bug you.

RedKat
11-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Redkat, I bet there is a big difference your brain just hasn't adjusted yet. You've been so focused on seeing the bad things about your body that you can't see the good. You have to change the way you look at yourself and the way you think about your body. It takes looking at those positive things and not focusing on the things that still bug you.

Thanks LandonsBaby...I guess when I was at my heaviest, I envisioned myself looking better after 50 pounds would be gone. I know I do look better, I have to, just seems that the same lumps and bumps are there, and had hoped some of them would have disappeared. But then, it's not like I'm at the goal yet, for my height I am still very much in the overweight stage.

mermaid20
11-07-2008, 08:30 PM
wow redkat, you've lost over 50 pounds? That is an amazing accomplishment. I am sure you look amazing! I know what you mean though, because when I dropped over 15 pounds, I expected to see a little difference and I saw nothing.and of course other people would mention it looked like i lost some, but it only offended me because it made me feel like i looked even fatter than i thought i did and i personally couldnt see a difference in the mirror. So then, (I never took my waist and hip measurements at my heaviest) i decided to take my current waist and hip measurements and i still felt like my body didnt change. However, slowly i am starting to see how different my body is, in the fact that I am gaining some more muscle - making it a teeny bit easier to do exercise - and clothes on my upper body are starting to fit differently. My thighs and butt are still tremendous, i didnt lose anything in my legs for all my 16+ pounds i lost, but im hoping the last 12 i want to lose WILL make the difference. Just know that others probably see a bigger difference than you see in yourself. we are just hard on ourselves!

livinglife
11-07-2008, 08:53 PM
Yeah thats me. lol sometimes the guys (just a few) call me a opa lopa ( cho. factory). A few years back one of the guys wanted to push me so that I would fall and roll down the hill (small) its ok that they joke with me there good guys really. Its like we're family we've been together for some time now. they would do anything for me and me to them. So I dont take any thing to heart. I HATE shopping for myself thats for anything u put on the body. **** I LOVE the summer and tanning so to get the right bathing crap is so upsetting so I have to settle on things I dont even like. I'm here to find a diet (MAYO CLINIC DIET) and to talk with other people to make friends. So good luck with all, Nancy :carrot:

ZetaMD2Be
11-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Hi ladies,

It's been awhile since I've been on boards. I had a midterm yesterday, so everything that wasn't going to help me pass it had to go for a few days!

I understand what everyone's saying about when they lose weight, it doesn't look like it to them! I've lost about 10 lbs (I can't officially change my ticker until Monday - my weigh in day) and it makes no difference. However, I have noticed that my pants fit a bit looser in the waist, which is a beautiful thing.

Have a fabulous weekend everyone!

LandonsBaby
11-08-2008, 12:53 PM
I could tell a difference with 10lbs and now I really do see a difference. No one else but my husband and my mom can tell but I'm losing soooo slow, I wouldn't expect anyone to notice.

AngelMae
11-08-2008, 07:13 PM
The only place that I can tell a difference is in my face. My chins arent quite as big!! :)

RedKat
11-08-2008, 07:25 PM
Thanks mermaid20 :) I am very proud that I was able to get 50 off, and I am determined to continue on. I realized too, that when I wear my newer clothes, I feel fatter, if this makes sense. They fit well, not snug, but since they don't hang on me, I feel humungous. So I still wear some of my old clothes, the baggier sweaters and shirts, and that of course, is when most people can see the weight difference. And I feel much smaller too.

aino
11-10-2008, 02:01 PM
I've been MIA lately - depressed over lack of progress :( But thought i'd check in and say hi, and remotivate myself :) Hope you all had a fabulous weekend! :) Here's to healthy and fit choices this week!

RedPorcupine
11-10-2008, 07:18 PM
I eat between 1300 and 1400 calories a day. After the initial huge losses, things do really slow down after a while, but I'm steadily continuing to lose almost a pound a week. Today I went shopping for clothes and was pleased to see I've gone down to the single-digit sizes for jeans. FINALLY! I haven't been there since junior high.

The thing that sucks about being short, as was mentioned before, is the fact that your body is very unforgiving when it comes to weight gain. It becomes extremely obvious after only a few pounds.

I always thought I'd look much better than I do at this weight, but reality checks are still good in my book. I can only imagine what I looked like 31 pounds ago. I'm hoping to end up with a number of 50 or more pounds lost, but for now I'll keep truckin' to 130 and move on from there.

Being under 5'2 definitely gives us the short end of the stick when it comes to calories and such, but imagine how cute we'll be when we're the tiny petite ones getting all the attention. :D

~Laura~

mermaid20
11-10-2008, 07:45 PM
How is everyone doing with fall/winter weather and the holiday season? I am so nervous to gain back what I already lost due to the holidays. I wont give up thanksgiving but i can try and give up christmas cookies and all that... try is the key word LOL. I just feel so animalistic when winter hits because I feel like overeating to stay warm like I am about to go into hibernation or something...

I hope the holidays don't hurt me because I really, really want to be 100-105 before I get pregnant, that's for sure. With a 30 pound average weight gain for people our height/size, I don't want to see 138 pounds again... even pregnant. So yeah... I CAN DO THIS. I WILL be a size 4 for my wedding. I will try to lower my waist size.

Oh the silly pep talks we have with ourselves to keep us going...

kamesennin
11-11-2008, 02:07 AM
How is everyone doing with fall/winter weather and the holiday season? I am so nervous to gain back what I already lost due to the holidays. I wont give up thanksgiving but i can try and give up christmas cookies and all that... try is the key word LOL. I just feel so animalistic when winter hits because I feel like overeating to stay warm like I am about to go into hibernation or something...

I hope the holidays don't hurt me because I really, really want to be 100-105 before I get pregnant, that's for sure. With a 30 pound average weight gain for people our height/size, I don't want to see 138 pounds again... even pregnant. So yeah... I CAN DO THIS. I WILL be a size 4 for my wedding. I will try to lower my waist size.

Oh the silly pep talks we have with ourselves to keep us going...

You can totally be a size 4 for your wedding! I did it and I am a lazy a$$. That was before kids, too. I hope to be a size four again next year so I can go shopping.

I am back home visiting my folks and I don't think I will be seeing a weight loss this month but that's ok. I'm still exercising everyday so that should keep the damage down to a minimum. I went to the dentist and he noticed that I lost weight!! (I haven't seen him in over a year) :cool: Of course I played it off all cool, like, "oh? I *think* I've lost weight. I'm just walking everyday." LOL In reality I worked my butt off to lose just 2 pounds last month.

aino
11-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Of course I played it off all cool, like, "oh? I *think* I've lost weight. I'm just walking everyday." LOL In reality I worked my butt off to lose just 2 pounds last month.

Lol! :) Yes I did the same when I'd lost 15 lbs last year! :D

jahjah1223
11-11-2008, 07:23 PM
With me i only noticed my body changing when i was losing weight slowly.

ahill1979
11-11-2008, 09:33 PM
Hi, everyone. Just thought I would check in and see how everyone is doing. So, how are you? :)

Laura, Congrats on the single digit jeans. I can't imagine being able to wear a single digit size. Woohoo!

I am doing well. I have lost a total of 133.5 lbs now. I still have 22 lbs to lose to get to my initial goal weight and then probably another 25 lbs to get to where I want to be. We can all do it!

gailr42
11-11-2008, 10:00 PM
Hi, fellow shorties! I have never had a waist-line even when I weighed 100lbs. my waist was 27 - 28". This means that if pants fit me in the waist, the crotch is about at my knees. Whine, whine.

Keep up the good work. Shortly, we will all be fit and slim!

RangerChic
11-16-2008, 01:22 PM
Hey all, been a crazy month, so I probably will only be around on and off through the end of the year.
Anyway, I was sick last week and am still getting over a cold, so I haven't worked out lately. Need to get back into the fitness center this week. At least some time on the bike/treadmill to get myself back going. Not going to push it just yet, but gradual because I do kind of miss exercising believe it or not. :p

aino
11-19-2008, 12:10 PM
So I have been doing a personal challenge - working out 6 days a week - so far so good - except when i went into my weigh in, i'd gained weight!!!! what the heck!?

6 miles of running, 2 hours of step cardio and 30 minutes of elliptical -- all in 6 days.

And I gain weight.

Seriously?!

ZetaMD2Be
11-19-2008, 07:50 PM
Hi Everyone!

Aino -- that weight gain might be water retention from your muscles trying to repair themselves from your intense workout this week. No worries. Keep doing what you do and the scale will reflect it eventually. The scale is a fickle fickle thing anyway!

Laura -- Congratulations on your single digit pants size!!! I don't know the last time I ever wore a single digit size! It's a big accomplishment!

Two things I'm proud of so far this week:

1. I went to a meeting yesterday, where they unexpectedly served pizza for dinner, and I did not eat a single slice! Will power in full effect! I came home and ate my taco salad that was on plan and ready to go for the evening. It was great!

2. I broke down and joined the local gym today. I plan to con my parents into paying for personal training sessions. It's my goal for this Thanksgiving break. LOL. I'm excited about it. Let's hope it motivates me to get into the gym!

LandonsBaby
11-20-2008, 01:14 PM
Zeta is right, the scales are funny things. When I have a really really good week it does not reflect on the scale immediately. It's a week or two later that the numbers drop.

aino
11-20-2008, 02:19 PM
zeta - good job on joining the gym !:) I know I'm sad about gaining weight the is week, but i also know I feel so much better after a workout! And that you're right - the scale will reflect it eventually! :)

landonsbaby - i can't wait for the scale to show a weight loss in a week or two ! :D heheh here's hoping! :D

offmyfranny
11-20-2008, 02:40 PM
Hi! I'm only 5'0 tall, so I can relate.

On my way out the door now, but wanted to bookmark this to come back to later.

RangerChic
11-20-2008, 03:28 PM
So I have been doing a personal challenge - working out 6 days a week - so far so good - except when i went into my weigh in, i'd gained weight!!!! what the heck!?

6 miles of running, 2 hours of step cardio and 30 minutes of elliptical -- all in 6 days.

And I gain weight.

Seriously?!

Couple things here. One, you probably gained some muscle. The sale obviously doesn't know the difference between that and fat. Two, try taking another rest day. Working out 5 days a week for one hour a day should be enough. There is such a thing as overdoing it.

hereyago
11-20-2008, 04:34 PM
I see there are some very short girls posting here (like myself - 4'9" - 4'11") that started out around the 160's but are now in the 130's and 140's.

How long did it take to get there? I lost a couple of pounds the first week, then a pound a week for 4 weeks, and now I keep going up and down within a pound range.

Working out an hour a day and eating 1200 to 1300 calories (posting and tracking every morsel and calorie). Should be at least a pound a week loss, and not always seeing that at all.

Want to keep encouraged and hoping you gals didn't drop 20 to 30 pounds in the same amount of time that it has taken me to drop 7.

RangerChic
11-20-2008, 04:48 PM
I see there are some very short girls posting here (like myself - 4'9" - 4'11") that started out around the 160's but are now in the 130's and 140's.

How long did it take to get there? I lost a couple of pounds the first week, then a pound a week for 4 weeks, and now I keep going up and down within a pound range.

Working out an hour a day and eating 1200 to 1300 calories (posting and tracking every morsel and calorie). Should be at least a pound a week loss, and not always seeing that at all.

Want to keep encouraged and hoping you gals didn't drop 20 to 30 pounds in the same amount of time that it has taken me to drop 7.

Do you have a high calorie day? If not, give that a shot, have a day where you eat say 1500 to 1600 calories, could give your system a jolt. I tend to have about a day a week where I eat up to 1600, whereas otherwise I stick to 1200 to 1300 a day. Also, do you workout 5 days a week or everyday? You need at least one day a week, if not two to give your body a rest.

hereyago
11-20-2008, 04:51 PM
Occasionally I will have a high calorie day, and I do work out an hour a day. Most times it is very vigorous work out, but a couple of days it is just a brisk walk.

RangerChic
11-20-2008, 04:52 PM
Occasionally I will have a high calorie day, and I do work out an hour a day. Most times it is very vigorous work out, but a couple of days it is just a brisk walk.

Give yourself at least one day where you rest. Give that a try for a couple weeks and see if it helps. The body just needs a day to recoup.

LandonsBaby
11-20-2008, 08:11 PM

Um, defiantely not. My PM I set you is probably going to make me look like such a loser, haha. Oh well. I'm trying. And you are doing great so keep it up!!

Dee1979
11-20-2008, 09:26 PM
I'm 5'2...blah!!!!!!!!!

MBN
11-21-2008, 06:22 AM
Aino -- I agree with the previous poster about temporary water weight gain due to intense exercise. I see this all the time -- partly it's the muscle repair process and partly the body restocking glycogen supplies. Both processes involve storing water in muscle tissues. So, don't be too freaked out, keep it going, and the weight will come off over time! And as far as overdoing it -- well, it all depends on what you're used to. I work out vigorously almost EVERY day, including running 20-30 miles per week, kayaking, strength conditioning, yoga/pilates, etc. But I certainly worked up to that, I didn't start out that way! My philosophy is to move as much as possible, so I can eat more!

hereyago -- it took me a YEAR to lose about 40 pounds. It definitely wasn't a quick process!!! I lost the first 25 pounds in about 6 months, then it took a good 6 months to lose the last 10-15. I've bounced back up a couple of pounds and am now trying to stay under 115, and it's NOT easy!! But, I've been in maintenance mode for almost a year now, and that is the best I've ever done. I've yo-yo'd so many times and have vowed that THIS time it will stick.

aino
11-21-2008, 07:01 PM
MBN and others - i'm working out 6 days a week, as part of a personal challenge. Starting December 11, I'll scale it back to every other day. Thanks for the temporary water weight theory - I've been reading up on it, and it makes sense! I HAVE also been drinking a lot more water the past two weeks... but to be honest, I find it hard to limit my soda intake + junk food cravings......and that's one of the reasons I'd like to be able to work out as often as possible, just so I can eat my "treats" without feeling too guilty :)

Hereyago - last year I'd lost about 15 lbs and it took me about 5 months to do so. I had cut down on eating out + soda, and also took up running. I maintained for about a year by running/working out on a semi-regular basis and then this summer gained almost all of it back when I quit being physically active :( SO here i am now, joined WW plus trying to exercise more... it's such a struggle, and such slow progress! :( Still, it'll happen, right? It must!

mermaid20
11-21-2008, 08:56 PM
hereyago- I only started at 138, but with diligent calorie counting and a little exercise, I have lost about 18 pounds in three months. It has slowed a lot now and I am having trouble losing more.

aino- it's probably that you are gaining muscle! which is a good thing. the pounds will drop soon, you should measure inches because i am sure youll see a change.

Losing4another
11-21-2008, 10:21 PM
Hi ladies!

Just wanted to say Hi! I'm back online again:) My computer crashed and I was out of internet for a few weeks...YIKES! You don't realize how much you use your
computer until you don't have it LOL

mermaid20- Thanks again for the PM :hug:

mermaid20
11-21-2008, 11:54 PM
Yeah I convince myself I can go X # of days without my computer and 24 hours later, I am dying without it

ZetaMD2Be
11-22-2008, 03:02 PM
Yeah I convince myself I can go X # of days without my computer and 24 hours later, I am dying without it

Same here!! I'm addicted to the internet I think!

I hope everyone's having a great weekend! I'm trying to load up on exercise on the weekends these days just because life sometimes gets in the way on the weekdays. :) I'm loving my new gym by the way!

kamesennin
11-23-2008, 08:22 PM
I'm so behind on this thread! I just got back from my parent's house in WA for a few weeks. I was expecting to see a gain, but instead I appear to have lost almost 2 lbs. Wha? How does that work when I ate a whole 9" pumpkin pie plus a pint of b&js. ??? Good thing I took my walking dvds with me. It's nice to be back at home again! I just got a cardio hula dvd in the mail (from swapadvd.com) so I'm going to try that later.

mermaid20
11-25-2008, 09:28 AM
Cardio Hula? Tell me how that is, it sounds fun!

Thanksgiving in a few days. I'm nervous... I've been stuck at 119 pounds for like a week now, and Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday- I love the food. I'm worried it'll push me back over 120+. I need to lose these 9 pounds to reach my first goal, not gain 5 back!

offmyfranny
11-25-2008, 10:27 PM
I hear ya. I've been going back and forth between 118 and 119 for a long time and it's making me nervous about Thanksgiving too. I am eating 2 dinners.. one tomorrow with one family and one Thursday with the other. UGH. I will just try to take a little bit of everything. Luckily, I don't like a lot of the higher-calorie stuff anyway. Veggies, bit of turkey, bit of stuffing. Shouldn't be too bad, right?? lol.

Good luck!

LandonsBaby
11-26-2008, 02:03 PM
Whoo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, I've had this pair of pants in my closet for over 6 months that I couldn't quite wear. They are a dark, wide leg denim (Like the ones on the left http://christinaghuman.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/wide-leg-kardashian.png). Today I decided to put them on despite the fact the scale hasn't really gone down. They fit!!!!!!! They even fit with my long john pants underneath!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited. They actually look really good too. Now I need a form fitting, shorter style shirt to wear with them. I think I'll go get them hemmed (duh, we're in the shorties thread here) and wear them for Christmas. :carrot::carrot::carrot:

Christielovely
11-27-2008, 11:36 PM
:o So new and late to this thread! I am a shortie too... some say 5'1'' and 1/2 others 5'2'.. still a small fry lol. I actually love my height tho, Heels are made for us short sexy girls, thats the up side. The downside.. short and slightly thick (healthy) is really attractive to me, but having gained weight and being short and FAT.. not so great:?: Mostly, I've tired of my too snug jeans dragging along the ground and being to snug to pull up. Oh and my doctor says "yeh for your height, you would do well at about 107 lbs" .. FRUSTRATED! I don't want to be skin and bones but don't feel comfortable at my current heaviest weight either. Honeslty, I don't know about the rest of you ladies, but, 150-140 is heaven for me! Anything less and people offer me food all of the time..

LandonsBaby
11-28-2008, 01:17 PM
If you want to weigh more, then the heck with the doctor. You would be pretty darn thin at 107lbs. Healthy yes, but more weight would be healthy too.

LandonsBaby
11-28-2008, 01:24 PM
I actually love my height tho, Heels are made for us short sexy girls, thats the up side.

Not if you wear a size 1 in little girls! :p But it's okay, I like my height..er, I mean, lack of height.

aino
11-28-2008, 09:15 PM
107! I'd be happy with 115-120!

i'm barely 5 feet so 5'2" to be would be awesome :)

Christielovely
11-28-2008, 11:14 PM
If you want to weigh more, then the heck with the doctor. You would be pretty darn thin at 107lbs. Healthy yes, but more weight would be healthy too.

Thanks for that LB.. I honestly grew up with a mom who had an unhealthy relationship w/ food and she stayed around 105.. SOOOOOO not for me tho!;)

Munchy
11-29-2008, 06:43 AM
Chiming in late on the measurements - I'm at 36-25-36, and I haven't gotten to goal yet. My WW leader thinks that I may want to modify my goal and think about maintaining. Post baby, I've now lost just about 70 lbs - 30 right after her birth, and another 40 with weight watchers.
Like we were saying before, we're all built so differently. At almost 5 ft tall and 123 lbs, I'm back in my size 1s and 2s. I do want to lose another 8lbs or so, but I'm pretty happy where I am.

mermaid20
11-29-2008, 03:01 PM
I'm 34-26-34 I think right now, 5'0 and 121 pounds (argh-Thanksgiving) and I fit (tightly) into a size 6. I wish I was a 1 or 2. At my skinniest of 100 pounds, I was still only a 4. Sometimes, I think I'll never reach my FIRST goal of a 110 pounds. I hate the way i look right now... I am so depressed. I feel so fat and ugly. like a big blimp or elephant walking into a room and just distracting everyone with a big stomach and fat thighs and arm wiggling

aino
11-29-2008, 05:10 PM
I'm 34-26-34 I think right now, 5'0 and 121 pounds (argh-Thanksgiving) and I fit (tightly) into a size 6. I wish I was a 1 or 2. At my skinniest of 100 pounds, I was still only a 4. Sometimes, I think I'll never reach my FIRST goal of a 110 pounds. I hate the way i look right now... I am so depressed. I feel so fat and ugly. like a big blimp or elephant walking into a room and just distracting everyone with a big stomach and fat thighs and arm wiggling

I dont' think I've ever seen 100 lbs! In fact the last time I was in my 110's (118) was when I was 19! My own personal goal is to be between 110 and 120 - I think I'll be happiest then.

Mermaid - I hope you feel better soon! It's a lifetime challenge to lose weight, and then maintain that weight loss, while still maintaining a positive outlook of life. Look at how far you've come! And the way you're able to work towards your goal - holyyyyyyyy! you're really an inspiration! :)

kamesennin
12-01-2008, 04:44 AM
Hey dudes I got fatter this month instead of losing. POOP! I'm hoping it is muscle since I started callanetics and got some dancing dvds--hula with Kili and a Crunch Salsa workout. My new jeans still fit well and are not as tight as they were last month when I bought them so that is good, right? I'm a pig and need to stop eating pie. AGHHHH. I totally slacked on walking, too. I was shooting for 100 miles but barely got 77. :o

offmyfranny
12-02-2008, 09:07 AM
Landonbaby - congrats on fitting into the pants! What a GREAT feeling! And I hear you about the small feet. My son is 9 and we wear the same size shoes. lol.

christielovely - there is quite a range as to what is a healthy weight even for women our size. Some women just can't get down lower than a certain amount or they don't want to, and either way, it's fine. I look/feel my best around 110, but I know women my same height who wear 105 or 125 just as well. And even at 110, I am still curvy (well, mostly from the waist down. The other curves almost disappear, lol) and I wouldn't want to lose all of them.

kamesennin - better luck this week/month!

mermaid - you're like my weight loss twin. lol.

mermaid20
12-02-2008, 01:10 PM
offmyfranny- we are weight loss twins! Do you have one child? How much did you weigh before you got pregnant and how much did you gain? I gained a lot of weight after college and having to move back home. I am trying to get back to my smallest size so I can get married and have children at a healthy weight. I am getting scared about weight gain during/after pregnancy though. Just wondering since we are so similar in stats what your story is. Welcome to this thread!!

mermaid20
12-02-2008, 01:36 PM
aino - thanks for your words. I never got to tell you how that cheered me up. it was much needed.

offmyfranny
12-02-2008, 09:04 PM
mermaid - lol.. um.. let's see..

I got pg with my 1st when I was 20. Young mom, but it grew me up quick!
I weighed probably around 110ish. I gained 22 pounds, but he was born a month early. It was ALL in my belly. I got some stretch marks but nothing too awful. I was back to my pre-pg weight within a couple months.

I got pg with my 2nd at 22 and was very thin, maybe 105 (I was also very depressed and never ate, though, until I found out I was pg, obviously!) I gained almost 60 pounds with her. Everything was big and swollen with her and I got stretch marks everywhere! She was born just a few days before her due date. It took me less than 6 months to get back to my pre-pg size.

A couple things to note though:

I was 21 and 23 when my kids were born. Our bodies are WAY more resilient at such a tender age!

I was a single mom when my second was born, and had a 2 year old as well as a newborn, so I was on the go 24/7.

As my stories suggest, no 2 pregnancies are exactly alike. I had 2 VERY different experiences with my 2! I thought I had it in the bag with my 2nd one. I had no IDEA I'd gain so much!

And lastly, even though I was able to get back to my pre-pg weight somewhat quickly with both of them, the weight was redistributed. Meaning, it was in all different places than before. lol. 110 after 2 kids looks very different than 110 before 2 kids. lol. No matter how thin I got afterwards, I always had (and still have) a little pooch of all that extra skin on my belly.

I hope you have a wonderful experience with your second pg and if you didn't gain much your first time around, don't assume you won't! I should have monitored my eating better, but I was way too smug for that. The joke was definitely on me. lol.

mermaid20
12-10-2008, 11:31 AM
How is everyone doing?

I've been stuck at the same weight since Thanksgiving! Help! It's been close to two full weeks already at the same weight. I'm not ready to maintain. I was hoping to lose 8-15 more pounds before maintaining...

Any tips?

MBN
12-10-2008, 01:14 PM
I was really struggling the week or so before Thanksgiving. Partially it was hormonal I think, I'm in that dreaded perimenopausal period and the hormones are definitely fluctuating!! There are times that I just fall head first into the candy jar and cannot extricate myself. Then, we went out of town over Thanksgiving weekend, and I was off-schedule exercise-wise and ate way too much. I was several pounds over red-line, yikes!

But, I've been regrouping since Thanksgiving weekend (went back to diet mode) and have been much more on plan. I still have a pound or two I'd like to lose before Christmas, but mostly I'm trying to minimize the damage. There's just so many holiday parties and much food!!! But, I'm trying to choose carefully, restrict portions, and keep up my exercise routine. So far, not so bad. I'm taking it one day at a time ....

gymlee
12-10-2008, 11:59 PM
I'm new to this thread too and I'm a shorty just like the rest of you at only 5 ft and maybe 1/4-1/2 inch on a good day haha Right now I'm in the process of losing a ton of weight that I put on partially because of eating too much and partially because of hormonal imbalances. I put down 115 as a goal weight but I'm not sure how its going to work out. I know there's quite a range like ohmyfranny said but how did all of you determine what your goal weight was going to be? Maybe you all said so earlier in the thread (I haven't had a chance to read all of it) but I'm trying to figure out the best way to go with it. I'm conflicted because while I'm short and have a small frame I also have a bigger musculature because of all my years in gymnastics. I guess it just might have to be one of those things that I will have to see as I go along. *shrugs*

aino
12-11-2008, 06:15 PM
welcome gymlee! that;s a good question - basically, I'm going by a combination of factors to determine goal weight. Firstly, according to the healthy weight range charts, shorties like us are ideally between 97 - 128 lbs, depending on body frame etc. Secondly, I know that last year when I'd reached 125, I still didn't look thin (i looked average), so my ideal weight would be definitely lower than 125. I'd also like my BMI to be in a healthy range. So based on all these three factors, I figured that if I could be between 115-120, I should be happy with myself (although of course, I won't complain if I can somehow make it below 115 ;-) )

Newshinyme
12-11-2008, 06:27 PM
I have been gone for so long from here, so many new posts!
Hi all! :wave:
I will eventually catch up, I am soooo craving a cookie right now...I will just sit here and type while it passes.

gymlee: same as aino, I looked at the weight charts and BMI charts, and although they are somewhat arbitrary at least they gave me an idea of what a healthier weight for me is. I picked a number in the higher range to make it slightly more manageable in my head and since I've never been that low in my life, I am not sure how I will look/feel then. I know that for me, the number is not set in stone and I will adjust as I go along and get closer to it.

gymlee
12-11-2008, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the perspectives aino and newshinyme! I was planning on adjusting it as I go along depending on how I feel, look, and what my body fat percentage is. I don't want to go too low on the body fat percentage because then I'll probably look too gaunt in the face and have no boobs and that's no fun. When all is said and done I still want a little bit of boobs haha. :lol: Jillian Michaels says that when she works with women she usually likes to see them anywhere between 16 and 20 % body fat so I think that's going to be my marker.

aino
12-16-2008, 02:37 PM
that's a good goal, gymlee - i should figure out my body fat percentage too !

mermaid20
12-16-2008, 03:33 PM
My goals have been shifting since I first made mine, It's all about what you can easily maintain and where you feel comfortable. I don't even think I'll be happy at my first goal of 110 and therefore wanted to aim for something between 100-110 but, I'm not there yet so I can't tell for sure. Right now I am sort of maintaining a weight of 117/118. I have to work really, really hard to lose now and I'm not really losing at all. I hope i can at least tone up, because even though I've lost weight.. I still feel all loose and flabby and have zero muscles... if you have muscles from gymnastics like you said (I quit when I was 14) you may weigh more but actually look better at a higher weight range because of muscles.

gymlee
12-16-2008, 07:02 PM
Aino, yes I think it's better to go by body fat percentage than a number because I think it's a better indicator. You can be skinny but have a higher body fat percentage than someone say that weighs a little more than they should by like BMI standards but they're actually better off than the skinnier person. It's what Jillian calls "skinny fat" because you may be really thin but if your body fat is high your just kinda squishy and that's not good either.

And mermaid, yea I'm still pretty jacked haha My friends who were/are gymnasts too look at me and are like "You can just look at you and tell you are a gymnast." Even as fat as I am! It's unbelievable. Even when I was hovering around 200 in March of 07 and I went to a ballroom dance competition at the Arnold Classic in Ohio where they have all kinds of sports and health and wellness things going on anytime I ran into a stranger even at the ballroom dance competition they were like "Oh are you a gymnast here competing?" I just had to laugh. I guess they didn't notice how fat I was because I tend to carry my weight very well. I always tend to look about 20-30 pounds lighter than I am, or so people tell me. But yes, my intention now is to be flexible (no pun intended) with the goal weight and play it by ear. :)

LandonsBaby
12-16-2008, 11:33 PM
Hello shorties! I don't have a computer right now so I've been around less. My hubby has been bringing home his computer for me to use. Hopefully we'll get another one in January or February (ours totally bit the dust).

We might be getting another gym membership at the end of the month. We'll be going to the hospital's health plex on thursday to see if we like it better then the ymca. if not, i guess we'll probably go back there. I guess I'm also getting ready to lead an online weight loss group. Our leader left her husband, moved across the country and decided to leave the group. I'm sorta confused but whatever. The other girls don't want to be the leader so I think that leaves me. I don't mind I just hope I don't suck!!

mermaid20
12-20-2008, 12:14 AM
I'm desperate! I've been stuck at this weight almost all month now! And if it ever changes, it goes up!! And then I get back here and it goes up a pound or two and then I get back here.

What should i do? What do you guys do when this happens? I'm already eating as few calories as I can without being unhealthy. I try to load up on fruits and veggies. I exercise at least 3 hours a week. I do need to drink more water, I'll admit that. Anything else I can try?

rockinrobin
12-20-2008, 12:41 AM
I'm desperate! I've been stuck at this weight almost all month now! And if it ever changes, it goes up!! And then I get back here and it goes up a pound or two and then I get back here.

What should i do? What do you guys do when this happens? I'm already eating as few calories as I can without being unhealthy. I try to load up on fruits and veggies. I exercise at least 3 hours a week. I do need to drink more water, I'll admit that. Anything else I can try?

How much protein are you eating? Carbs? Maybe your foods can be switched up a bit. Your percentages.

How about increasing that exercise? Since you certainly can't go lower on your calories, the only way to create more of a deficit would be to burn more - through exercise. Are you doing strength training? Or just cardio?

One other thing to consider- maybe your body is happy where it is and is done losing for now.

aino
12-20-2008, 03:04 PM
How much protein are you eating? Carbs? Maybe your foods can be switched up a bit. Your percentages.

How about increasing that exercise? Since you certainly can't go lower on your calories, the only way to create more of a deficit would be to burn more - through exercise. Are you doing strength training? Or just cardio?

One other thing to consider- maybe your body is happy where it is and is done losing for now.

I agree - switch up your routine, if you can. Here are some ideas that I'm trying to incorporate into mine to jumpstart my weightloss since i'm horrible stuck :

Drink half a glass to 1 glass of water before a meal
Adding in extra bits of exercise/activity --> parking further than I usually do, trying to take the stairs whenever possible (and when I remember!), weights --"
eating less carbs after 7 pm
doing different workout classes to keep my body from getting used to the exercises I do.

I am down a lb this week - so hopefully, it'll be a sustainable weight loss, and I'll be able to see some real results!

mermaid20
12-21-2008, 01:33 PM
aino- congrats on that pounds. Every pound counts. I wish I could lose another pound or so. i've been stuck here foreverrrrr...

I hate how "petite" or "short" pants still need to be hemmed for me! Anyone else experience this? They are always still too long. I fit into size 4 at NY & Company now though - yay! Still 5/6 at most other stores.

I really hope I don't ruin this success with the holidays. I will be away from home for a month. I will talk all the advice and try to drink a lot of water, take a bite, take a sip, take a bite, take a sip seems like a plan.

aino
12-22-2008, 12:31 AM
aino- congrats on that pounds. Every pound counts. I wish I could lose another pound or so. i've been stuck here foreverrrrr...

I hate how "petite" or "short" pants still need to be hemmed for me! Anyone else experience this? They are always still too long. I fit into size 4 at NY & Company now though - yay! Still 5/6 at most other stores.

lol 0 i just took in 3 pairs of pants (which are petite btw) to get hemmed! :D Most of those pants are 30 inseam, i need mine to be 29 :) *Sigh*

thanks mermaid - hopefully it'll be a pound that stays off! :D And good plan - you'll be away for a month, so it might be a good idea to journal what you eat every day - when you're not at home/in a routine, it's so easy to overeat - a bagel here, a latte there - and pretty soon, it all adds up ! So...if you get a chance, just write down what you eat each meal - it just helps keep things in perspective :) Good luck!

110 here I come
12-22-2008, 05:10 AM
Hi

I'm 5'... well barely and sitting at 140 pounds... I have a closet full of clothes that have been altered that I don't fit and I REFUSE to buy anything but Yoga pants right now...thank god for Lycra... but they too had to be altered..lol.. darn inseam.

I just find that being short can really be a detriment with the weight distribution... I'm the largest I've ever been other than when I was pregnant.. Not really nice to compare the two but it's true... I find it's harder to camoflauge... unlike my tall girlfriends...

I'm determined this time... I think..lol:dizzy:

flatiron
12-22-2008, 05:20 AM
Where are all you short gals living! Because there sure arn't any here in Virginia!

I am short 5'8" (well really 5' 7 3/4") and all the gals round my way tower above me! LOL! Heck even my ex was 5'11"

Sure would be nice to dance face to face with a gal for a change! :D

mermaid20
12-23-2008, 09:51 AM
110hereicome - i feel you with the lycra. When I gained up to 138, I was living in sweats day and night. Now my sweats, even those got all stretched out, they are less flattering than smaller tighter jeans/workpants. So I am trying to rethink my wardrobe. I wish you luck on your journey to 110, I am here for you! I can be a support buddy if you need one. How many children do you have? I'm curious about pregnancy weights. How much did you weigh before your first child and how much weight did you gain during pregnancy and did the weight stick or were you able to lose it?

aino
12-23-2008, 06:44 PM
110hereicome - i think we have a similar path to take - :) my heaviest 2 years ago was 145, went down to 125, then back up to 138. *sigh* the see-saw of weight loss/gain. I'm living in workout pants myself :) so comfy!

flatiron - i guess all the short girls live in the west coast :)

gymlee
12-23-2008, 10:16 PM
:nono: Aino, we shorties live on the east coast too. But it's funny because I feel a pull and wanting to move west. Is it because the west just attracts shorties or is because we are short we want to go there? hehe :)

And I feel you guys on the yoga pants. I live in them as well. Oh so comfy!

aino
12-23-2008, 10:30 PM
:nono: Aino, we shorties live on the east coast too. But it's funny because I feel a pull and wanting to move west. Is it because the west just attracts shorties or is because we are short we want to go there? hehe :)

And I feel you guys on the yoga pants. I live in them as well. Oh so comfy!

hahaha gymlee - i'm an east coast transplant myself :) Moved to Cali two years ago! I tihnk we want to move here because we're short ;-) And i was just kidding about all of us shorties being on the west coast :D

gymlee
12-25-2008, 11:45 PM
haha aino you're too funny. Where are you originally from?

aino
12-28-2008, 12:45 AM
i'm actually from toronto, in ontario, canada! :D Still counts as east coast! :D

what about you, gymlee?

MsFB
12-28-2008, 01:09 AM
Technically, I am 5'2 1/2 but I am certainly a short gal.

I can't reach anything and all sleeves are always too long. If it fits my bust, it will never fit my arms. I hate when petite pants always turn into flood pants so I'd rather hem regular pants. Although those right fit pants are doing well so far.

ah, but I've always said I'd rather be short than too tall. :)

gymlee
12-28-2008, 06:45 AM
Well, Aino, I was born in New Mexico but moved to New York when I was about to turn 2. I lived there for 20 some odd years and just recently moved to Delaware because I did my undergrad at the University of Delaware and I loved it here so I decided to come back for a while. Plus it gives me a chance to put some distance between me and my dad who drives me crazy. It's amazing how he still manages to drive me up a wall when I'm hundreds of miles away. I think I need to put a couple thousand. Can I come live out in Cali with you? hehe ;)

mermaid20
12-29-2008, 12:19 PM
Ugh... I've been staying with my boyfriends family for the two week holiday break I have.... week one... I gained almost 5 pounds!! I came to his house at 114.5 and today I weighed 119!!! This is ridiculous and I have another week to go. His family believes in an over-consumption of butter, maple syrup, chocolate and all things bad for you. I just want to get back to my routine and foods I have at home! i cannot believe I have to relose all this weight and that now i'll go back over 120 when i was on 114.5 and on the right track... i havent been 120 since like early november. I cant wait for the holidays to be over and when I come home Jan 5th, I am at least getting back to 114.5 as soon as possible, within two weeks hopefully. I am so depressed and angry and sad right now I cant even express it.

rockinrobin
12-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Hey Mermaid don't fret. It's even that much more difficult when we're away from our homes. You will be back home soon and have more control over the cooking. In the meantime, can you maybe offer to help with some of the shopping and cooking and stuff? Purchase some fruit? Get some healthy foods going? Maybe try to practice some portion control? Take in an extra walk each day?

Anyway, some of that weight is most likely water weight from the added sodium that you've been eating. Hopefully it will come off quicker than you think.

kamesennin
12-30-2008, 03:14 AM
Don't worry Mermaid, you will be ok. Even if you have to eat stuff you don't normally eat, it's probably not as bad as you think. Drink a ton of water everyday to balance out the salt and you should feel better. :hug:

aino
12-31-2008, 01:37 PM
gymlee - anytime :)

msFB - welcome! 5'2 1/2 " is an awesome height :) you get to be short, without being short short ! :D

mermaid - oh no! keep you chin up! Sometimes it's a temporary thing - being out of routine etc. No doubt you will be able to rectify the situation quickly - in the meantime, don't beat yourself up over it, make healthier choices when/if you can given your constraints, and just get ready to rock 2009 !

gymlee
01-03-2009, 12:56 AM
aino, thanks!!! perhaps if I can ever get my funds together to make my way out there haha :D

mermaid- are you doing any better?

Just wanted to check on you ladies! Keep it going!

ladyfirefighter1
01-03-2009, 08:49 AM
Hello all, I just sat here and read all post from page1 to 14. I just found your post. I am 4' ll . I am too over weight. I am 165 lbs. I do need to start losing weight and exercising. I love reading all the posts. I know some count calories and some go to ww, is anyone else out there on a certain diet they follow???? I am miserable. I have to start losing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ladyfirefighter

mermaid20
01-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Well, i will be home tomorrow. I will start calorie counting again, trying to eat mostly fruits and veggies and trying to pick up a steady exercise routine. I have to adjust my goal though now. I originally wanted to be 110 by March 1st. Before Christmas I was 114.5 and thought I would make it. I am back to 119.5 since this two-week "vacation" away from home. I doubt i'll make it to 110 before March. I need some sort of support. Want to have some sort of group challenge for us on this 5'2 and under thread? Maybe we can all do the 30 day shred or something. Any ideas, anyone interested? Or we can just rant and rave! That is always fun.

welcome lady firefighter. The diet I follow is moderation and calorie counting. I try to aim for 1200 calories a day with under 30% fat. I usually end up eating 1800 calories and 32% fat, but I'm trying.

ladyfirefighter1
01-03-2009, 12:54 PM
sounds good to me mermaid20. Maybe that will get me movtivated to start moving. I don't have the 30 day shred, but i do have several leslie samsone walking dvds i could do. count me in

aino
01-03-2009, 05:22 PM
I love the idea of a challenge! should we aim to start on Monday? What should we do? What's the 30 day shred challenge?

ThickMadame530
01-03-2009, 05:31 PM
I understand. I am 5'2 and well over 300lbs. Trust me. Even black is making me look lumpy.

gymlee
01-03-2009, 06:52 PM
Aw mermaid, you can do it! Adjusting goals isn't the worst thing. I think that as long as you make it that's all that counts. Just get yourself back on plan with eating and exercise and I'd say if possible try not to stress it. When you think about it too much and put too much emphasis on it I think that's where it can go bad. Just stay the course and work on just being as on point as much as possible with the things you can control and eventually it will come. I read this quote a while back that I think describes your situation well: "Work on being and not having, for with what you are you will have." As long as you stay the course and work on "being" whether it's being full of hope and faith and belief in yourself and your ability to reach your goals or staying on plan you will have what you want (your goal) by just being who you are and doing what you're doing. You can do it. I just know it!

mermaid20
01-04-2009, 11:33 AM
the 30 day shred is a workout video with jillian michaels who is known for being a trainer on the biggest loser. Its strength training, cardio and abs. 20-25 minute workout per level (3 levels). Instead of picking one video let's just agree to all do any workout video of our choice for 30 minutes. and If your video is less than 30 min, just throw in some extra cardio (jumping jacks, running in place) or some abs (sit ups, crunches) or even some dancing. So, anyone in for 30 minutes a day of a video VHS/DVD exercise for Mon-Friday? We can share which videos we did and how it went? I havent exercised in two weeks since vacation and with an added 5 pound gain on my body... it's going to be tough but I'm up for the challenge and would love support!

ladyfirefighter1
01-04-2009, 03:17 PM
count me in. I am going to start wearing my odometer (i thing that is what its called) an make sure i'm getting in 10,000 steps daily. ladyfirefighter

DiBaskin
01-04-2009, 11:47 PM
Hi,
I am 5' 2". I just started my new diet January 02, 2009. I find that the more I weigh the harder it is to find clothes that fit. I find that some stores do carry WP sizes. I am hoping I won't have that problem by this time next year. I try to wear loose clothing as much as possible. I also try to wear support garments a lot.
I find that I have to cut back to about 1200 calories or less to lose weight. I basically cut out junk food and high calorie snacks and I am OK. That is my only weakness. I am not a big portion eater or one that goes back for seconds. My problem like I said is junk food. I am trying to like fruits and vegetables more.

Lilly
01-05-2009, 01:07 AM
Hello everyone. I'm new here & I'm also pretty dang short. I'm somewhere between 4'11" - 5', lol. My sister, mom, cousin, and grandma are all about the same height. And it seems like every 5lbs. makes a huge change in my body! I hate trying on clothes and buying jeans is pure torture! My mom is always telling me to just take the jeans in to have them hemmed, but I'm just too lazy for that. So I try and find the petites or the short sizes.

I think my biggest problem that keeps me from losing weight is my Mt. Dew addiction. At one point I cut back to one a week and lost about 15 lbs. But I went on vacation and drank it again and am now heavier then ever! When I was workingout I was doing the Slim n 6 DVD's 3x's a week and my elliptical machine for 30 min's 2x's a week. I was losing inch's like crazy! But I got sick, nothing serious, just a bad cold and the next thing you know, I'm out of my workout habit and back up to the same weight. So this last week I started workingout again. I managed to w/o 4 days this past week. I'm going to flip between my Slim n 6 DVD's, my elliptical machine, Core Rhythms DVD, and my Zumba DVD's. Maybe this way I won't get bored. Plus throw in some weights too. I get bored too fast and can't stay motivated. I'm getting married this summer and would like to not look like a short round butterball, lol. I don't want to be thinking everytime someone snaps a pic. if I looked fat in that one. I'm tired of dressing to hide my fat, when it's just not possible. I'm laid off right now, so I've got no excuses, this is my chance to change my habits and really get started!

Oh! Mermaid20, I think that 30 min. w/o thing you wanted to do sounds great! I'm in.

mermaid20
01-05-2009, 11:39 AM
I haven't done my 30 min for today yet, but I just wanted to check-in to welcome all our newbies to this thread! So, Welcome.

lilly and dibaskin- I am in a similar boat. Overeating is a weakness of mine. It is so hard to eat only 1200 calories!! I hate trying on clothes and 5 pounds does make a huge difference, I gained 5 pounds this holiday season alone and now my brand new wardrobe doesnt even seem to fit right. My boyfriend and I are trying to get engaged this summer, so for all the pictures and everything else that will come along with it, not to mention, wearing a bathing suit at the beach... I really want to drop 20 pounds. What are the Slim n 6 DVS? and what is core rhythms and zumba?

freeqeegrl
01-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Man Do I Hear You Im Only 4'11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its Really Hard. . . . But You Know What Id Rather Be Tiny And Cute Sooooo Lets Begin This Workout Journey Together , Everyone Whos Pocket Size!!! Lets Do This!!!!!!!!!!

freeqeegrl
01-05-2009, 11:49 AM
Mermaid 20 Just Read Your Last Post I Cant Tell You Much About The Other Dvds But Zumba Is Pretty Fun, The Dialogue Is Reaaaalllllyyyyy Cheesy But I Burn About 600 To 700 Hundred Calories Everytime. . . So I Love It , I Do It On My Weightlifting Days On P90x So I Can Get Some Cardio In Too. Also Turbo Jam Is Silly But Good! Good Luck!!!!

RangerChic
01-05-2009, 12:08 PM
Welcome to the "new" short chicks!

I probably won't be around this thread much since I'm participating in the Biggest Loser challenge. That said, everyone keep up the good work, and remember, you CAN do it! :)

aino
01-05-2009, 12:33 PM
So I'm in as well, mermaid! i worked out for an hour yesterday - 30 minutes on the elliptical, 30 minutes on the treadmill! and I weighed in at 135.4 this morning! w0ot! :)

And welcome to all the new pocket-sized newbies :) Hahaha i loved that word - pocket-size :) It makes me feel very delicate :D

mermaid20
01-05-2009, 01:27 PM
awesome aino!! Congrats on the weight loss and good job on getting in an hour workout! I wish i could afford an elliptical, I think i would enjoy using it.

After 2-3 weeks of slacking- it is so hard to do the workouts I was doing 3 weeks ago. I feel like I lost everything. and it's hard to eat 1200 calories again! All my cravings are back lol. So thanks for joining the challenge. I'm motivated to lose these extra 5 holiday pounds as quickly as I gained them. I hope to be able to change my ticker soon too.

I took out the 1200 calorie a day menu cookbook from the library, and it was very disappointing. I was only interested in about 8 recipes. Anyone have a healthy or low calorie cookbook they love? or at least a normal cookbook that provides that nutritional information for all of their recipes?

mermaid20
01-05-2009, 05:04 PM
I did 30+ minutes of exercise today! 4 more days to go until next week ;). Tomorrow I am aiming for 35+ and if I can do that, than on Wed, possibly 40+ minutes.

gymlee
01-05-2009, 06:25 PM
Welcome newbies!!!!

I'm so proud of you mermaid and aino! I worked out as well yesterday! I was so proud of myself that I think I'm going to exercise again today :)

Lilly
01-05-2009, 06:29 PM
I did about 20 min's of this Core Rhythms dvd and I had to stop, I couldn't follow it at all! Well I shoudn't say at all, they just got all complicated on me with the feet and hips moving too fast, lol. So I'm going to get on my elliptical later for another 20. Core Rhythms is kind of a dance workout. So is Zumba. Like freegeegrl said Zumba is kind of cheesy, but it's a blast. I let my sister borrow it and I need to get it back. Slim n 6 is alot of squats and lunges and moving around, it really kicks your butt! You do that one and you are sore the next day for sure! I need the different stuff to keep me interested.

aino
01-05-2009, 06:30 PM
excellent stuff, gymlee and mermaid! look at us! we're so motivated - i love it! :) I'll go for a walk after dinner today to get my 30 mins in, and then do an hour class tomorrow ! :)

As for a good cookbook - WW has some, which are really healthy and low in "points". I think if you are counting claories, then you just make sure you stay within 18-20 points a day (for ppl our height!). I lke their cookbooks because they really look at low fat options, and have a variety of recipes in each of their cookbooks!

aino
01-05-2009, 06:31 PM
Lilly - that's a great idea doing a variety of DVDs. I heard Zumba really makes you move :) CHeesy or not, as long as you're having fun :) It's all good! :)

Elliptical trainers are fantastic - they're low impact, and you can spend a long time on it, especailly if you have a good music list on your ipod! :)

mermaid20
01-05-2009, 07:30 PM
do you use an elliptical in a gym or did you buy one? which one do you have and how much did it cost? I'm trying to find one, but being short, i think i need a shorter stride than most? I'm a little confused, but interested in seeing which types might be a good choice for me, a short person, who is interested in using the machine only about 5 hours a week.

Lilly
01-05-2009, 08:00 PM
I own one, it's a nordic trak Elliptical and it cost me around $900. I was only going to the gym to use it, so I figured I might as well just own one. They fit any height. There are cheaper one's but, you get what you pay for. I had one of the cheap ones someone gave me and it kept my legs to far apart, which in turn hurt me. You want one that doesn't have have of the equitment between your legs, lol. But if you are going to go to the gym, just use theirs. They do take up alot of room.

gymlee
01-05-2009, 11:56 PM
Yay Aino!!!! I worked out again today!!! I did 45 mins of all kinds of stuff in my living room such as using the step I have and doing like step aerobic kinda things (step ups, knee ups, jump ups, etc.) jumping jacks, marching/running in place, seated squats against the wall, handstand push-ups against the wall, moutain climbers (I hate these), and mini sprints between the step and this other container and just general dancing around whenever the mood struck me. Haha I know I'm such a dork. At some points I had my heart rate up so high and I was working so hard I started to get nauseous! I know that isn't a real good thing but on the other hand as Jillian Michaels says "If you're not puking you're just not working hard enough." :lol: She is way too funny. Her work out dvds are pretty good but they kick your butt! The Carmen Electra videos are pretty sassy and fun as well. I also use the "Dancing with the Stars" one too. Then there is the old school "The Firm" series. I've only ever used one of them called body sculpting basics but that one was awesome. Except I hated the lunges. I hate them with a passion! They are my own personal ****. I try and avoid them as much as possible. Anybody else have exercises that they hate?

aino
01-06-2009, 12:36 AM
Mermaid - if you have room at your place, then it might be worthwhile to invest in one. I move around alot, so it's not practical for me to buy gym equipment. I usually just go to the gym - they're easy to use, even for us shorties - not a lot of adjustmnet required.

Gymlee - whoa u're on fire, woman! that's fantastic working out at home like that ! after reading about jillian's 30 day shred, i checked it out at the local borders, and am going to go get it I tihnk! it definitely looked very interesting! :) I love dance videos though, so maybe i'll check out dancing with the stars as well !

Lucia
01-06-2009, 12:36 AM
awesome aino!! Congrats on the weight loss and good job on getting in an hour workout! I wish i could afford an elliptical, I think i would enjoy using it.

After 2-3 weeks of slacking- it is so hard to do the workouts I was doing 3 weeks ago. I feel like I lost everything. and it's hard to eat 1200 calories again! All my cravings are back lol. So thanks for joining the challenge. I'm motivated to lose these extra 5 holiday pounds as quickly as I gained them. I hope to be able to change my ticker soon too.

I took out the 1200 calorie a day menu cookbook from the library, and it was very disappointing. I was only interested in about 8 recipes. Anyone have a healthy or low calorie cookbook they love? or at least a normal cookbook that provides that nutritional information for all of their recipes?

Hi! I am 5'1 or at least I like to think so..in reality I'm more like 5' 0 Go us, the shorties! I wanted to ask how long did it take you to lose as much as you did? We have similar start weight and goals. thanks! And what plan (if any) do you follow?

gymlee
01-06-2009, 01:46 AM
Gymlee - whoa u're on fire, woman! that's fantastic working out at home like that ! after reading about jillian's 30 day shred, i checked it out at the local borders, and am going to go get it I tihnk! it definitely looked very interesting! :) I love dance videos though, so maybe i'll check out dancing with the stars as well !

Thanks! :thanks: I didn't feel like going to the gym here in my complex and it was dark out so walking outside was out so I just kinda did my own thing. As for Jilly, she's so awesome! :hyper: Just be careful with the 30 day shred. I've never done it personally but I hear it's not for the faint-hearted. It's like a major butt-kicker. :kickbutt: She says that when she was filming it, her and all the back-up work out ppl were like dying because it was so intense! So be careful. I'd start off with her "Shape Up" dvds, still hella hard but not quite so insane! :eek:

mermaid20
01-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Get the 30 day shred aino- after a week it will become fun!

mermaid20
01-06-2009, 10:37 AM
Welcome Lucia.

I started in Sep 2008. So I lost about 20 pounds in 4 months? The holidays set me back a bit, but I'll hopefully soon be on my way to losing more. My next goal is to lose 8-10 more before March 1st, but that's probably not happening.

My plan was to do the 30 day shred, a workout video, for 25 minutes 3 times a week, and to calorie count. I use fitday.com and that helps me a lot. I log everything I eat and try to aim for 1200-1600 calories a day. 30% or under for fat. I also track my weight there, I weigh myself every morning. Counting calories and some exercise did it for me, but I've gained and then stalled... so I might need to cut more calories and I'm trying to bump up the exercise! Also, sometimes when I have a food craving, I convince myself to come to this forum and post on this thread instead!!

Hi! I am 5'1 or at least I like to think so..in reality I'm more like 5' 0 Go us, the shorties! I wanted to ask how long did it take you to lose as much as you did? We have similar start weight and goals. thanks! And what plan (if any) do you follow?

gymlee
01-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Oh mermaid, I wasn't trying to discourage her from getting it. I was just giving her a heads up! I'm sure it's great fun! All her videos are even though they kick your tushie! hehe Did any of you guys exercise today? I didn't. Things got away from me today but seeing as I worked out Sun and Mon and I'm going to tomorrow I think I'll be ok! :)

aino
01-07-2009, 07:37 PM
I woke up this mornign at 5 am to go work out, instead I snuggled into my covers even deeper and went back to sleep! :( Lol!

Ok, seriously - tomorrow, I will be at the gym in the AM!

gymlee
01-07-2009, 08:00 PM
Aw aino, I didn't work out today either. I was supposed to go to bed early and get up early to take my mom to ny but then it turns out I couldn't fall asleep and by the time I started to get sleepy it was time to get up. Then there was this whole other fiasco that screwed things up but gave me a like an hour or two of broken sleep. Then I had to go do so many other things and now I'm like running on empty and have no energy to exercise at all since I've been up pretty much since yesterday if you don't count those few hours of broken sleep. Going to bed early tonight and hopefully I'll recoup and get going again tomorrow. I want to work out at least 2 more times this week! We'll do it though! I know it! And if you need me to pm and give me your # and I'll call you 17 times to wake you up at 5 your time its 8 my time and I'll be up :D

anneelk
01-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Hello! I'm new, and I'm also a short arse. I'm 4ft 11" and quite broadly built (giant knockers, wide shoulders and hips) and my goal weight is about 110lbs. Even though I don't eat much, my weight loss has totally stalled.

I'm starting exercise this week, have only been to the gym once so far though, eek. Does anyone have any advice on what is the best cardio and exercises for abs, bums and arms for beginners? Thank you!

Lilly
01-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Well, I've managed to workout mon, tues. & wed. so far! Yea me! lol...On Tues. I did my Slim n 6 DVD and last night I was soooooo very sore. My legs especially! I'm going to do my Zumba dance DVD today. I think doing something different almost everyday will help me stay motivated. I just hope it helps me lose some weight too.

anneelk, well I hate to say it, but for your rear end area and thighs, squats and lunges are the best way too firm and lose inch's. I hate lunges & I'm not too fond of squats, but they do the job really well. That's why the slim n 6 DVD works so well, lot's of those in there, lol. The rest I've still really not found anything that works really fast other then crunch's and pushup's. But I'm sure other's on here have idea's.

aino
01-08-2009, 01:10 PM
ahahah gymlee - you really crack me up! :) So I have my gym gear with me today, and all ready to go! Have a kickboxing class this evening - yay me! :) Hope you got a chance to recover from your hectic, sleepless day!

welcome anneelk ! And hahaa, I totally know what you mean about the broad shoulders and huge knockers - the bane of my existence! :( :)

Lilly - wow - way to go with your workouts! :)

gymlee
01-08-2009, 10:15 PM
Aino, I try :p I'm slowly recovering. Slept all night last night and most of today. Trying to find the motivation now to exercise but I really just want to bake a cake for my dogs birthday tomorrow. I know I'm really silly but he's my baby and we have to celebrate his birthday.

Anneelk, if you can afford it I would recommend investing in a session with a personal trainer to see what you should be doing based on your own personal fitness goals.

aino
01-09-2009, 01:21 PM
Happy Birthday to your dog :) how cute!

Aino, I try :p I'm slowly recovering. Slept all night last night and most of today. Trying to find the motivation now to exercise but I really just want to bake a cake for my dogs birthday tomorrow. I know I'm really silly but he's my baby and we have to celebrate his birthday.

So I went to a kickboxing class yesterday - AND I ran on the treadmill for 10 mins! :D Woohoo! :D

gymlee
01-09-2009, 11:38 PM
Great job aino!!!!! Thanks for wishing him happy birthday! He's 2 years old today! I did end up baking the cake instead of exercising. I've not been feeling like working out the past few days and I've not been eating on plan as much as I should. But I'll get myself back in the saddle soon enough. I didn't think that sleepless day would throw me off as much as it did. Ah well, there is always tomorrow. :)

gymlee
01-10-2009, 07:53 PM
I exercised today!!! Wooooooo! Totally made up for the last few days I didn't exercise by doing a whole hour and 15 mins!!! I actually feel amazing. I did a lot of the same stuff from monday but threw in a few new things as well. I'm sure to be sore tomorrow :)

How are all you guys doing with your exercise??? For those of you are doing it: Great job!!!! And the rest of you who are struggling: :kickbutt: Lets get it movin!!! :D

Onederchic
01-10-2009, 08:02 PM
I am 5'2". I read everywhere that 1200 calories is the least you should eat per day. I have been changing my eating habits since July and recently I have started new food changes and a typical day for me is

Breakfast - 1 cup oats, 1 boiled egg

Snack - rice cake

lunch - 2 cups lettuce with 1/2 can tuna

snack - 5 saltines

supper - brown rice and some sorta veggie

I exercise 7 days a week, indoor walking/jogging and I am up to 6 miles @ 55 minutes. I don't feel starved or hungry and I am shedding pounds so I guess I am wondering why I should add more foods to be sure I am getting at least 1200 calories when I am not feeling hungry or weak or anything negative?

gymlee
01-11-2009, 12:03 AM
I don't feel starved or hungry and I am shedding pounds so I guess I am wondering why I should add more foods to be sure I am getting at least 1200 calories when I am not feeling hungry or weak or anything negative?

The reason why they tell you to not go below 1200 is because it will cause your metabolism to slowdown and you can develop hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid). Also when you don't eat enough to fuel your body it will start to eat muscle which is counteractive because you need the muscle to burn fat and calories when you're not working out. The more lean muscle you have= more calories you burn at rest. I would try and maybe add in another lean protein source or so and some more fruits and veggies to try and bring the calories up. I would also watch the simple carbs and try to add in more whole grains. For example, lose the rice cakes and use a slice of whole wheat toast or eziekel bread and peanut butter and if you're going to do crackers do multi-grain crackers. I believe it's Kashi that makes a really good 7-grain cracker.

I think it's great that you're exercising and getting in close to an hour but it would be good to give yourself a day off every once in a while to let your body recover. I would also see about adding resistance/weight training in as well to build your muscle. :)

Onederchic
01-11-2009, 08:38 AM
Okay..how about if I added 1 tablespoon peanut butter and an apple each day and take away the saltines and rice cake? I really can't wrap my mind around eating when I am not hungry but i am trying to understand and learn so bear with me. I feel better when I exercise so I don't really want to skip a day on that. My boyfriend has a standard weight bench set but he doesn't use it and I haven't a clue what to do with it so I use ankle weights on my wrists and ankles when I exercise :|.

ladyfirefighter1
01-11-2009, 12:06 PM
i joined a gym thursday, worked out thurs, fri and did 1 mile of leslie samsone this am. i hope i can keep it up and lose down and get to watching what i eat. ladyfirefighter

gymlee
01-11-2009, 03:37 PM
Okay..how about if I added 1 tablespoon peanut butter and an apple each day and take away the saltines and rice cake? I really can't wrap my mind around eating when I am not hungry but i am trying to understand and learn so bear with me. I feel better when I exercise so I don't really want to skip a day on that. My boyfriend has a standard weight bench set but he doesn't use it and I haven't a clue what to do with it so I use ankle weights on my wrists and ankles when I exercise :|.

The apple and peanut butter is a good substitute. It's better carbs for you and good fats. Try and make sure the peanut butter if you can is organic or at least natural so it's without all the hydrogenated oils. As for eating while you're not hungry, I know it's hard but if you start substituting in higher calorie whole foods that have good fats such as raw almonds and maybe a whole can of tuna instead of just a half and then maybe another lean protein source at dinner it will def bring your calories up. You should also try and maybe get some dairy in there. See if you can try and get in some lowfat or fat-free milk or cheese. I can tell you if you get the recommended servings of dairy in a day it'll bring your calories up at least 240-300 cals a day by just drinking 3 8oz glasses of milk (depending on if you're drinkin low-fat or fat-free). What else are you drinking in a day? Are there any fruit juices or soda? Because those calories count as well and sugary drinks aren't the best for you either. These are just a few options. I would def calculate them in exactly and see where they stand for you and the rest of your food in a day. I'm just going off what you said you eat in a typical day, and while I don't know for sure the exact calories for that food it doesn't seem like enough. It might be good to invest in a calorie counter book like the Calorie King. It's 6 bucks at Barnes and Noble or you can go on the Calorie King website as well.
Just search for it on yahoo or google. (Only because I don't know if I can post links in here yet :) )

As for the exercise, I can totally relate to it feeling good! Just make sure you don't overdo yourself. If you ever get stumped on what to do exercise wise you can go buy some exercise dvds or look up exercises on the internet. Maybe you could even invest in a session or two with a personal trainer so you can learn the proper technique to do certain exercises. As for right now I can give you a few options for the work out bench: you can do push-ups against the bench, lay on the bench and do chest flys, chest press with free weights, you can do tricep kickbacks, rows for your back, you can also do ab work using the bench. These are just a few things you can do. It's hard to kind of explain these exercises just by typing but if you can get someone to show you it would be best. You may want to invest in a heart rate monitor or a bodybugg to see the calories you're burning and your heart rate when you're exercising.

Mind you all these things I recommend investing in are not essential, however they do make things a lot easier. I hope some of this helps!

gymlee
01-11-2009, 03:41 PM
i joined a gym thursday, worked out thurs, fri and did 1 mile of leslie samsone this am. i hope i can keep it up and lose down and get to watching what i eat. ladyfirefighter

:yay: :cb: Great job!!!! That's super exciting!!! Keep up the great work!!!

Onederchic
01-11-2009, 03:53 PM
Thank you very much, gymlee. I usually drink water throughout the day with a 16 ounce (I think it is 16 ounces anyway, lol) glass of iced decaf tea. I can start drinking a glass of milk and maybe a glass of orange juice if you think that would help. I just worry that when I step on the scale, I will be disappointed. I am a habitual weigher..I weigh frequently over the course of a day. Yes, I know I shouldn't but I can't seem to help myself. And even though I know that weight fluctuates throughout the day, I still freak when my weight is 2 or 3 pounds more than when I woke :|.

gymlee
01-11-2009, 04:34 PM
No problem chunkychic! I do what I can. I think the milk would be more beneficial than the juice because you can substitute juice for actual fruit. And if you are going to do juice make sure it's no sugar added juice and it's all natural (not from concentrate) because concentrate adds more sugars. If you have trouble with the whole calorie thing I would try to aim for servings of foods from each food group. For example, I would do like 3 servings dairy, 3servings protein, 4-6 servings whole grains/ complex carbs, 2 servings good fats, at least 3 servings veggies, and 2 servings fruits. That way you should make those 1200 calories in a day. That's a prototype of what my nutritionist had me do a couple years ago. Now I'm just logging my food and trying to count calories. But I do try to make sure I get servings from each food group everyday. And also do a little research into the foods you're eating and make sure what you're eating in your portions is actually a serving.

And I don't want to sound mean but you gotta knock off the weighing throughout the day. It will only make you neurotic. If it's a hard thing to stop, I would say maybe cut it down to once daily and then work on maybe a couple days a week and then hopefully you could get it to only once a week. When you only do it once or twice a week, it'll give you a better picture of your weight loss over time.

Onederchic
01-11-2009, 04:42 PM
Milk I can handle so I will add a couple glasses milk as well. And you don't come off as mean, you come off as helpful and I appreciate it. And my budget is tighter than tight so I have to buy the cheapest foods that I feel are healthy and will last more than a day. I typically buy oats, lettuce, tuna, eggs, dried navy beans, green beans, dried pinto beans, spinach, brown rice, sugar free gelatin and now I will add apples, peanut butter and low fat milk. If I make my meals as follows, will that be on the correct path?

1 cup oats
hard boiled egg
1 glass milk

apple 1 tablespoon pb
1 glass milk

lettuce
can of tuna

brown rice
some sorta veggie (beans or spinach usually)
decaf iced tea

I use FitDay to track my daily intake and exercise. My intake is usually around 900-1000. I do have days where I eat more, just not very often because I normally do not feel like I am hungry and need anything else.

gymlee
01-11-2009, 07:33 PM
You'll def be getting there I think. I understand about money being tight (I am at a job where I make a little over min wage) but understand that this is your health and if you're going to spend money on something it might as well be on your diet. I agree with many experts out there that your food can be your medicine and if you eat a well balanced diet it can help to keep you from getting sick whether it's the common cold or developing something like diabetes. So if you can squeeze it out, spend the money on good foods. If possible throw in some regular or ground chicken or turkey breast . Those are leanest of meats if you get the breast. And if you package it out and do by servings you can make a pretty good amount of food for just a pound or so of meat. Because remember a serving of meat/protein is usually 3-4oz so with that being said you can make 4-5 servings of meat from a pound package of chicken or turkey. And sometimes it's a little more expensive if say you get like a turkey breast (probably around 9 bucks depending on where you shop) but you can get days and days worth of food out of it. You can even bake it all at once, cut it up, and then freeze some of it and dethaw in the fridge as you use it. It's both cost effective and efficient so you don't have to cook so much all of the time. I would also watch how much tuna you eat due the mercury content. Also try and add in a multivitamin so on the days you have trouble meeting calories you can get all the nutrients you need especially when you are so restrictive with what you eat. I would def recommend branching out if possible. :)

Onederchic
01-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Thanks again. I will check into other possibilities. I do take One a day Weight Smart vitamin every day.

gymlee
01-11-2009, 11:00 PM
You're welcome! Let me know if I can help you with anything else! :D

Chicklette217
01-11-2009, 11:15 PM
I am 5'1 and 215 pounds. Yes everyone can tell when we gain 10 pounds but look on the bright side everyone can tell when we lose 10 pound it makes a difference! I started eating 6 times a day instead of my normal once a day I lost weight right away and It keeps coming off. I still don't eat super healthy but I stopped eating fried foods and fast food. I do plates and after 2 weeks I lost a size. I buy my clothes at old navy there websites have plus sizes and some of there stores, they have short sizes!!!!

mermaid20
01-12-2009, 09:03 AM
Thanks Chicklette, welcome!