Alternachicks - October chit-chat

View Full Version : October chit-chat

ollie27
10-02-2008, 09:54 AM
not much to say this morning gals, but i thought throughout the month someone might have something to say.

like most months i can't believe it's october already. i usually want time to slow down, but I'm already ready for winter break! hope everyone is fit as a fiddle. it's kinda slowed down in here, but such is the life of the alternachick forum.

and i know no politics, but the vp debate is tonight! should be interesting to say the least and that's all i can say, right? right.

later!

jandaman
10-02-2008, 11:14 AM
howdee-doo guapas

suffering from temp insanity due to crazy and i mean CRAZY friggin pms..does anybody else get it this bad??? i think KILL KILL sever heads and mutilate and torture and then a commercial makes me cry..like literally SOBBING and then i feel super frisky then KILL KILL KILL all over again....i am really stressing myself out! garrrrrrrr

lizziep
10-02-2008, 01:44 PM
holy mood swings! :) I just feel the KILL KILL KILL and an occasional EAT EAT EAT thrown in just for funsies. I've had it really bad the past couple of months. Then again, I've sort of been a raving lunatic in general- no matter what time of the month lately.

owlmonkey
10-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Mood swings were a prob for me recently (like a roller coaster ride with Sybil at the switch)-because of the pill I was on. I'm on the nuvaring now and I barely get any symptoms of pms. I'm much happier (and so is my BF!)

ghost
10-02-2008, 03:11 PM
I become insane with rage when I'm pmsing. Sometimes I just lock myself in the house and don't go out. Its safer for society that way.

ollie27
10-02-2008, 09:55 PM
i've been super sensitive lately round my time-o'damonth. i hear ya on the sobbing tip, jan. good luck with that. tea always helps me. garrrr? you a pirate?

:)

missygith
10-03-2008, 01:52 AM
I just got the merina iud and now my cravings are as bad as when I was pregnant. (i actually thought maybe the iud didnt work, nope, just pms!)

KitschKitten
10-04-2008, 05:23 PM
Hey missygith, I've been on Mirena now for 6 months, and I have the same problem with cravings! Oy! Still, it's better than actually having my period...

Does anyone have any tips to curb the cravings a little bit? ;)

150reasons
10-05-2008, 11:59 PM
I got the Mirena five years ago. It's almost time for it to come out. Have either of you ladies noticed problems with weight loss since getting it? Maybe it was just the cravings that did it, LOL. Also, be warned, your periods will come back with a vengeance during the last six months of the thing, at least mine have. The only thing that has helped with the cravings is completely cutting refined food out of my diet. I eat like a cave woman. It helps, some.

owlmonkey
10-06-2008, 10:22 AM
On the BC note-I think I'm all messed up. This pill stopped working for me (in the OMG I am irritable and moody ALL the time sense) so my doc put me on the nuvaring, which I loved, but now I'm starting a week early! Cravings haven't been too bad, but my moods & H2O retention are crazy!

PinkyPie
10-07-2008, 03:37 AM
Hi my girly-girls! Posting from the blackberry again because I wanted you all to know I was thinking about you! I can't comment on everything right now but I'm giggling madly on the train with the Pms talk, and there are quite a few peeps here wondering what I'm on, laughing at my phone like this!

Anyway, i went to a WW meeting last night for the first time in a year and I was surprised I weighed the same as then. Good surprised as we all know it can be worse. My former gym buddy is now my meeting buddy! I'm so happy, I much prefer going to meetings with someone.
Anyway, I promise to not be such a stranger and hopefully I can pop in later to be reply more personally to the chickies here.

XX

ghost
10-07-2008, 05:00 PM
Okay, my week has been insane and it is only tuesday. I think next week is going to be TOM, and I havn't been on birth control to regulate that...so IDK, I lose track of my cycle. I think I like having my tubes tied except for the fact that I can't just decide to skip a period by skipping the pink pills. Dangit!
I want to try out a differnt gym location for the gym I go to. It has weight machines instead of free weights and stability balls and yoga mats and its only across the street from the location I frequent. I figure if I have to find a babysitter in order to get to the gym then my golly I'm going to find a babysitter. Besides, people are coming out of the woodworks offering to babysit for me since I've magically aquired two extra toddlers to keep me busy.

jandaman
10-09-2008, 03:51 PM
we-**** ladies.....so good to know i am not alone!
i actually got off the pill because i felt i was living the life of a frigid stifled asexual mary poppins.......now i have my creative power back but pms was way better on hormones than off...sigh...probably need to get to know myself again...i hate tomorrow. i have to teach business englsih to a bunch of financial consultants..it's such goooood money but ugh ugh ugh..feel totally out of my depth..i am an english teacher whaddo i know 'bout banking and finance (welll...whaddo they know....considering bail-out and stuff and stuff) sigh. feel like a fraud!
so signing off on this self-doubting note...TGitsalmostfriday
good luck on finding a babysitter ghost!
howdee velveteen :)

littleblacklies
10-09-2008, 03:56 PM
we-**** ladies.....so good to know i am not alone!
i actually got off the pill because i felt i was living the life of a frigid stifled asexual mary poppins......

:cp: Now my husband will have a name for what I get like. Hahahaha.

PinkyPie
10-13-2008, 03:29 AM
Good morning all. I had a less than stellar week but it's WW day again and I'll be going to face the music this evening regardless.

I'm not feeling that great mentally / emotionally and the lack of self-control doesn't help me at all. I just keep thinking "just ONE day, Renee" but the "need" to self-medicate with food and/or drink seems to win each time. Its like another personality, mocking and laughing at me. And it just makes things worse.

This is so not who I am, and I'm trying again, just ONE day to grab control of my life again. I have so many issues that are tearing me up inside and I have no real outlet, or rather I'm still struggling to share with others but it really seems old coping methods die a pretty slow death, even methods that clearly don't work!

Sorry to dump this on you guys, I just feel like if I don't talk to someone, even vaguely, I'm risking a big crash. And I really don't think I could handle that again.

Take care and I hope things are going well for you guys!

XX

jandaman
10-13-2008, 01:43 PM
hey renèe..not to pry and/or get too personal..(yeah..but now i'm gonna do it anyways cuz i care!) but have you tried seeking professional help/guidance? i started cognitive behavioral therapy to stop the false "medicating" w/food/booze/etc. and now i have progessed to full-blown psychoanalysis and am uncovering so much "stuff" i thought i had under control (denial denial)...it is painful and HARD A§§ work but it does help. i would not have been ready to shed any weight if i hadn't done it.:hug::hug::hug:

PinkyPie
10-13-2008, 04:15 PM
Thanks Jan, and its ok to pry! I've had a lot of therapy in my life and could probably do with some right now, but I simply can not afford it at the moment. To be honest I do know exactly what to do to make the switch but I hold so much in that it tends to explode from time to time. When I had friends in my life I dealt better with things because there was that bouncing-things-off-a-girlfriend thing that helped me get through whatever it was that was happening. I just don't have that anymore. I have my boyfriend, who loves me madly and would do anything to support me but its NOT the same. I don't want to bog him down with this stuff. Men take a different approach and just want to FIX things when its a little more complicated than that.

There is my friend J whom I'm just getting close to but it takes me time to really open up. She was previously my gym buddy and now I'm going to WW with her and the travel time gives us a chance to connect. I still worry that I'm going to cause people to run away from me, from dumping my issues on them and I do realise I shouldn't worry so much about that.

With all that said, thanks for your reply and I appreciate you being open with me as well.

Not surprising, I gained a kilo this time around, but its a new week and I'm proud to say I did really well today. One day at a time, chicks, one day at a time...

ollie27
10-14-2008, 11:04 AM
renee, i hope it gets better for you. have you tried replacing your old habits with new ones? yoga, journaling, a quick walk, etc. etc.?

i can relate on losing touch with gal pals. most of my chick friends and i have lost touch and right before i moved i finally made another friend--and then moved 1200 miles away. it was obvious both of us were in need of a friend and we immediately "dumped" everything on each other and became quick confidantes. how refreshing! maybe test the waters with J? you never know...and yes, talking it over with the dude in your life just isn't the same. i know we haven't spoken much on this website, but feel free to pm me if you just need someone to listen/read :hug:

i hope everyone else is hanging in there! things are getting might sloooow round these parts. maybe that means everyone is outside?

later!

mauvaisroux
10-14-2008, 06:26 PM
Agh! It feels like I haven't been in the forums for ages! So much catching up to do!

I hear you on the lack of female friends. I find it hard to relate to a lot of women and the friends I did have got married, had kids and moved to the burbs and now they no longer have time, energy, money to go out. :(

And although my hubby is awesome you girls are right - it is not the same as having a good girlfriend or two to chat with.

owlmonkey
10-14-2008, 07:05 PM
My problem with female friends is that I never really had any. I was, and still am more of a tom-boy & I've never really been interested in most of the conversations the women around me were having. Occasionally I find a rare gem who is a lot like me, but they are few & far between.
I miss my guy friends. Since I got into a LTR I've a paucity of guy friends. I miss being one of the guys!

PinkyPie
10-15-2008, 02:39 AM
Thanks for the replies girls! I am not very good at really opening up so I appreciate knowing that what I feel or go through is not isolated, that there are plenty of others who relate.

I am pretty picky about the women I choose to be friends with because I find I get on with guys better! But yeah occasionally you find someone who gets you and its not all girlie talk! My best friend for the past 20 years I hardly connect with any more. Before she had kids (and religion, actually) it was different. I could still pick up the phone (but not on Shabbas) and call her if I need to, we still have the deep connection.

Anjera, where are you in NM? I'm actually originally from Alamogordo :) I don't meet a lot of new Mexicans online!

This week is going better WW-wise, but I'm not fully where I want to be on program. I need to invest just a little more time in planning. One day at a time...

jandaman
10-17-2008, 12:52 PM
i used to have only guy friendses (samesame canna handle frilly pinkness and tupperwareses)but i now have 5 super important ladies in my life and the guyses have all hooked up w/super-lame chicas. ugh. it's TOM and i want a CUPCAKE!!!!!
after re-reading this post i have come to the conclusion that my cramp medication has made me mental....keeses for all youse guapas!!
sorry my brain canna seem to focus.....boyfriend's djing tonight

ollie27
10-18-2008, 10:55 AM
hi mauvaisroux ! how's yer busy busy october?

i was always one of the guys as a wee lad. played basketball instead of cheered (in elementary school of course) and then puberty came and ever since, although i was and am still one of the guys it was inevitable some weirdness happened at some point in the friendships on one or both sides. but i like my women folk, too. i never thought of it as few gal pals, or few guy pals, i've always just had few friends in general. still, i can count 'em on one hand (acquaintances are different). just never been into spreading meself thin.

ayi ayi ayi what a week! i've had a paper due, a proposal due, taught my first lesson (yay!), had 4 tutoring sessions, and read an entire novel just to hit the biggies of the week. so so glad it's saturday. there's still a lot of ****e to do, but hey, it's saturday.

hope everyone is rockin!

jandaman
10-21-2008, 12:28 PM
kudos ollie! awesomeness!
sounds like we've got quite a bit in common..i am a teacher and struggling to get my college courses done on top a all dat. sigh. well, you know what it's like.hope ur weekend was all dat and more..peace out
(i REALLY am ridiculous:) )

ollie27
10-21-2008, 01:34 PM
jan - i think maybe we both teach literature and writing, too? or did i make that up? my weekend is never "all that and more". it's usually cleaning and homework all done with the help of a coupla beers. but yeah, i've noticed in a few of your posts that we do share some commonalities i.e. ridiculousness, awesomeness, englishness, your an expatriot/i wanna be one but refuse to put me kitties through that, love of rockin' out, and gettin off the pill for asexual reasons and much much more! we should hang!

later!

jandaman
10-22-2008, 12:32 PM
aiiyiii! yes, hang we shall! i do teach english lit and writing..but as a second language. a wee bit different or mebbe not so? my students tend to astound me with their literacy (sometimes i think i'd be better off getting paid to make juvenile farting noises and such) and range of vocab.
apropos beer: dealing with icky icky sinusitis and my russian friend recommended warm beer...hmmmm might try it! waddevahz!

gator!

(oh hahahaha i actually cracked up. me soo lame)

ollie27
10-22-2008, 11:42 PM
well, sometimes judging by the looks on my students' faces i, too, teach english as a second language! juvenille farting noises! ha! how cool would that be? pretty effing cool. pttttfffhhh!

warm beer for sinusitis? hey whatever reason you can find. actually what helps me with my sinus issues is a cup of really strong black coffee. not sure why, it just does.

so, do German men really wear Lederhosen? and speaking of beer, isn't october like, THE month of beer there? awesome.

jandaman
10-25-2008, 08:48 AM
aloha ollie....warm beer is gnarliness! ginger tea w/lemon much better..yeah, espresso does the trick but only alleviates my pain short term.
anyways: lederhosen-they sure do, but only in bavaria (the rural areas there..and at oktoberfest of course of course)which is kinda like texas as the bavarians would prefer to secede from the rest of germany.
beer beer beer..EVERY month is THE month for beer! Here in the wine country it's "weinlese" right now-grape harvest . so "federweißer" and Roter rauscher" are in season, super yummy. i think it's a kind of "green" wine ..not completely vintaged yet (donno any wine jargon, really) and super sweet and strong. goes well with "zwiebelkuchen" onion tarte. unfortunately i am now on antibiotics and so canna partake. blurg!

ollie27
10-26-2008, 06:42 PM
hmmm...sweet and strong wine and onion tarte. :doh:

so are we like the only ones here or what? but, yeah, beer rocks. the hubs and i just moved up this way from alabama and in alabama most beer is still illegal. i think anything over 6% alcohol is illegal which means that there were absolutely no craft beers in the state, and the city we moved from draft beer was illegal. weird, huh? so although it's not germany, we're still having our 24/7 octoberfest a la massachusetts:) so silly. you could go buy a bottle of Bacardi 151 proof, but not a ber with 12% alcohol. silly silly.

sunday. i do hate to see the weekend end. especially when i have nothing to show for it. i hope all you quiet alternachicks are alive and well...