40-Somethings - 40's October Chatter

View Full Version : 40's October Chatter

Clydegirl
10-01-2008, 09:03 AM
:witch:

Morning girls. It's October. How did we get to October? The year is racing by. Thought I would start a new thread seeing as it's the first of the month.

I have been very busy with my volunteer work. We are moving to a new building and there is a ton of work to do. It's all done by volunteers. It's almost like a full time job at the minute. Today I'm taking the day off and going out to get my hair cut and lunch with a friend. Looking forward to it.

Biggest Loser last night sad to see Jerry leave but he is doing so well on his own at home. It was very touching what he said at the end. I had a huge lump in my throat.

Enjoy the day.

clayr
10-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Hi all, Thanks for starting October Clyde :) I went on a lovely hike this weekend the fall air is perfect walking weather. I have still been dealing with the remanants of my summer leg infection, but tonight I get my Picc line taken out so I hope to get excercising regularly again. I haven't lost any weight this month, but I didn't regain either which I'm happy with.

Hattie22
10-01-2008, 04:34 PM
Happy October everyone! (thanks Clydegirl)

I haven't been watching Biggest Loser.
Cayr-
I hope you feel better. I hate when you get an injury and then can't work out. I had a problem with heel spurs and had to buy special sneakers. (That's what I get for wearing flip flops all summer!) I couldn't do anything for three days and was scared that I would get out of my routine. That is where I have fallen off the wagon before. Remember not gaining is as important as losing...maintaining is a good word.

Slashnl
10-01-2008, 04:51 PM
Clayr, good to see you again! Maybe little by little, you'll get past that infection. What a pain!

Thanks, Clyde, for starting the new thread. Can't believe it is October. Come on 40's chicks! Let's hear from you!

Gotta go, I'm at work.

Clydegirl
10-01-2008, 06:32 PM
I have had a lovely day :)

We went for coffee and then had our hair done. Then off to Chevy's for lunch.

After lunch we went to a bra shop and treated ourselves. We were measured and had a bra fitting done. I feel so uplifted :D What a difference. Of course I was wearing the wrong size bra. So I bought 2 new ones and feel like a new woman.

Clydegirl
10-02-2008, 09:05 AM
Morning girls.

Here I go again. My weigh in and I'm up 1.5 lbs. Aaagghhh. Why do I do this to myself?

:wave: Hi girls come and chat.

LetsGoMets
10-02-2008, 12:26 PM
Hi everyone! Hope you're all enjoying the month of October. It's finally starting to cool down a little here in Connecticut. As great as summer is, I adore the fall and all the wonderful clothing that comes with it. And the leaves here are really ramping up - just gorgeous beyond belief!

Well, tomorrow our little family is headed out to Ann Arbor, Michigan for Homecoming. I haven't been there in 2 years, and I can't wait! I'll get to see my 2 dearest college girlfriends and their families. Of course on Saturday, we'll go to the football game; hopefully, Michigan can pull off a win, this is a "rebuilding" year for them! But no matter - we'll have a great time no matter what. My son is so excited he can barely stand it. Our flight's at 9:00 a.m. tomorrow morning, so we have to leave the house pretty early to get down to LaGuardia airport.

Haven't lost any weight this week but am holding steady, so yes, I consider that a victory as well. I'll be doing so much walking around campus this weekend, so that will hopefully offset any naughty eating that might occur.

Have a great day, everyone!

Slashnl
10-02-2008, 01:22 PM
I just can't get up enough courage to get a bra fitting. I'm sure I could do a lot better than I am with the ones I have, but just can't subject myself to that. Spooky to me.

Don't worry, Clyde, you'll get it back off. You're having a great year overall, so it will continue!

Busy with sports and kids. Oh... and work.

dolphinlvr
10-02-2008, 03:01 PM
It is good to be back home. Thanks Sue and Hattie22 for the encouragement. It helped me get through and put things into perspective. We found the leak in the air matress so was able to get descent sleep. Made the best of the family situation. Ended up having a wonderful time all in all. After Florida, we went to NC to look at property and visit my two best friends. I used to live in raleigh and one of my best friends moved to the area so we went to check things out. it is so much cheaper than California and we could actually afford a house there. It was cheaper to fly from Cali to Tampa, Fl to NC and back to Cali then a direct flight to Tampa and back to Cali so we decied to check things out. Tony (my DH) met my two best friends and their families and fell in love with the area so our goal is to move in a year. We are so ready to go. I hate San Jose. People are so rude, traffic sucks and the cost of living is out of control. I will miss my friends and my son most of all but that is it. Brandon my son is moving to Tahoe next month and I will probaably see him more if we move back east. Sorry for the ramble but it has been awhile since I have posted.

Got home Tuesday and found out I gained 3.5 lbs:( but I am still in Onederland:carrot: so that is a positive. I look at it this way..it could have been alot worse. I need to change my weight avatar to reflect the gain. I realy don't want to:tantrum:

Congrats LetsgoMets on reaching the 180's:carrot::carrot::

Shy: Sorry for your loss. Be careful with the bronchitis. When I got it in April, it turned into Walking Pneumonia.

Suenami: congrats on the move to midwest and your continued weightloss. you are doing great!

Clayr: Glad your leg is better...sounds like the infection is gone even though you have reminders.

Clydegirl: Glad you are taking time out for yourself. Isn't having the right bra great?

Hi everyone else! It's good to be back in touch!

Pam9397
10-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Hi Everyone,
I am new to this thread and hope you don't mind another person. I really need all the motivation I can get.
I have only had my second weigh in and already gained .4. Thought I was following the plan pretty well. Guess not.:(
Well, on the plus side I walked 3 miles yesterday and about 2 today so that made me feel pretty good.:)
Sounds like you are a bunch of nice people and I hope to get to know you all. Have a great night.:)

Pam

Clydegirl
10-02-2008, 09:20 PM
Hi Pam welcome to the 40's.

Pop in every day and chat. We have a nice bunch of people here.

Hattie22
10-03-2008, 04:50 PM
:wave: Hi Pam! Welcome. Don't worry about .4, that is probably just water.

CyberGypsy
10-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Day 4 took a full pic in bra and panty on the day i started, want to use it in a blog......Hoping to keep it together thru the weekend:)

Hattie22
10-04-2008, 09:35 AM
Good Morning! I am so happy that I lost a pound! I have been waiting for the 20 lb lost mark and it is here. Just wanted to celebrate with you all!:dancer:

Clydegirl
10-04-2008, 01:37 PM
:bravo: Well done Hattie.

dolphinlvr
10-04-2008, 02:07 PM
Way to go Hattie:cheer::cheer::cheer::

:welcome: Pam. Always a pleasure to have newbies join in the fun!

I too am happy this morning as I lost 1.5 lbs I gained on my vacation.

Ho-pe everyone has a great weekend!

Where has everyone been...there is usually more chatter going on.

Karen

Pam9397
10-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Hi Girls,
Congratulations on your losses Hattie and Dolphinlvr.:carrot: Way to go! Also, is that your dog in your avatar Hattie? So cute.:) I'm a little biased though because I also have a rottweiler.
CyberGypsy, I wish I had the nerve to do the before and after pictures in my underwear. LOl, maybe I can work up the nerve, not sure.:o
Thank you for the welcome ladies and have a great weekend.

Pam

Hattie22
10-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the congrats Clydegirl ,Dolphinlvr, and Pam9397

Congrats right back at you Dolphinlvr!!! :cp:

Pam9397:
Yes that is one of my rotties. I have two. The other is a male to be pictured soon. I love them and since my children have grown up they are now my babies. Rotties are so affectionate...aren't they? My girl is 7 and my male is 6. Tell me about yours and send a pic.

BTW: My girl rottie always barks at the boxing guy on wii fit. I guess she doesn't like it or she thinks I am getting hurt ??!!?? lol

Have a great week everyone!!!

Pam9397
10-05-2008, 09:41 PM
Hi Ladies,
Yes Hattie, my pup is such a sweetheart. I got him from the ASPCA in June when my german shepherd died. I just always liked rotties and he is my first one. His name is Rocky and he is 4 years old. I will see if I can figure out how to post a picture of him. Not real good at posting yet.

Have a great night all, Pam

Oh, forgot to ask, Do your rotties chase shadows? Rocky always does this. He waits at the bottom of stairs for my son to make shadows under the light, lol.

WardHog
10-06-2008, 03:01 PM
Hi y'all! I am back from a short beach vacation. Good to "see" everyone! :)

Hattie22
10-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Wow...I can't believe it...I lost another 2 lbs. :dance:

Pam:

One of my Rotties is a shadow chaser big time! I can say "shadow" and she looks all around. For awhile we couldn't turn on our light in the living room because she would chase any and all hand movements. She has gotten a little better at that now. My male rottie doesn't really bother with shadows but will chase a light on the ceiling and wall. They are very entertaining! My girl is thin and my boy is a little fat. I am trying to put him on a diet with me but he doesn't like to move that much. He is the lazy (eeyore) and she is the hyper (tigger). But I love them.

Wardhog: Wow! How long have you been maintaining? You are my someday!!

dolphinlvr
10-06-2008, 08:37 PM
Just wanted to say hello before I head home.

Hattie way to go.:carrot::carrot::carrot: My in-laws have a ROT named Rosie, I'll find a picture and send. She thinks she is a small dog and can fit on your lap. She is the sweetest dog ever and endures alot of torment from her brother and sister who are chihuahuas (not sure of the spelling). She thinks she is their mom and they jump all over her and bite her and she just lets them. it is so cute.

I lost another pound and 1/2 so I am 1/2 pound away from where I was before I went on vacation so I am pretty happy about that.

How was your beach vacation WardHog? Where did you go?

How was homecoming and visit with your college friends LetsgoMets?

Where have all my chickies gone?

Suenami? Hopeful? Lovnmom? Hermitgirl? Photo? Hope you are still with us and just busy.

Hope everyone has a great evening!

TTFN

Karen

Chelby29
10-06-2008, 10:06 PM
Hi Friends, I'm relatively new to 3FatChicks. Got off track a couple months ago and am having a hard time getting back on. I'm up to 190, but haven't changed the tracker. It's too sad! AND, I plan on getting back to 179. What diets do you do? My goal is to watch portions. If I tell myself that something is banned, I'll fail for sure.

The smartest dog I've ever met was a Rottie. It could count! Really! :) We have a bloodhound named Blossom. She makes me laugh.

Michelle

Hattie22
10-07-2008, 12:48 PM
:welcome2: Chelby29

A rottie that can count? lol:^::lol::lol:

Pam9397
10-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Hi Everyone,

Hattie and Dolphinlvr, Congratulations to you both on your losses.:bravo: I hope to have as good a weigh in tomorrow night.

Welcome to the board Chelby29. I am pretty new here myself and everyone seems so friendly and helpful. :welcome2:

Have a great night everyone.

Pam

Clydegirl
10-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Hi girls.

I haven't been posting much. My mind is not in this at the moment. I feel as if I'm jeopardising myself. The scale will tell me on Thursday when I weigh in. I just got done watching The Biggest Loser. Only one hour tonight because of the Debate.

Welcome Chelby. We have a nice bunch of people on here. A few are MIA ;) at the moment.

Enjoy the evening.

clickchick
10-08-2008, 07:45 AM
Morning everyone! I'm new here and figured I might as well just jump in. :) Just a quick post this morning to say I'm looking forward to great day on program!

Hope yours is a good one...

Ingrid

Slashnl
10-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Hi girls.

I haven't been posting much. My mind is not in this at the moment.

This is me, too. While I really am happy for everyone who is on track and losing weight, I'm just not there. I'm ridiculously busy with work and kids and home life and my stuff is on the back burner.

I just feel like I don't have much to say right now. I still lurk, but not much to say.

Hattie22
10-08-2008, 05:30 PM
:wave: Hi everyone!

Pam:

:bday2you: Have a great day!!!

Clickchick: :welcome3:

Clydegirl and Diane : :hug: and some :dust: Just hang in there!! We are here for you!! Pop in to say hi if you can.

Dolphinlvr: :woohoo: on your 1.5 lbs. post vacation! That is great!

Where are all the chattering chicks?

Pam9397
10-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Yay! I lost 1.6 lbs. today.:dancer: I'll take it.

Hattie, Thank you so much for the birthday wishes. I appreciate it. Not feeling too great about hitting the big 4-0. :eek: Think I just have to get used to the idea, lol.

Hi Clydegirl and Slashnl, I'm new here but hope to see you both posting again soon. Good luck getting over that hump. I've been there....

Hi to Dophinlvr and Chelby29, Hope you are both having a good day.

Night ladies, Pam:)

Pam9397
10-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Hi Clickchick :) Sorry I missed your post first time around. Welcome aboard.

suenami
10-08-2008, 11:51 PM
Hi everyone, just checking in.

Karen...dolphnlvr....huge congrats on your weight loss!

We have recently moved. It has not been easy, we still have eight kids at home so they all had to relocate too. We found a great church close to home and they have a HUGE youth group which my kids love so that is a plus.

I was without a scale for nearly a week due to the move, which usually spells disaster for me, if I can't see a scale every morning I go into De Nile, LOL....

But when I finally unpacked the scale and I closed my eyes and stepped on it the next morning, I had lost a pound. I SHOULD have lost 2 or 3 at that point but I was so relieved not to have GAINED that I just exhaled...

Now two weeks later, we are so busy unpacking and getting the animals acclimated (we moved an entire farm) that I have lost three more pounds. I almost can't believe it. I *am* sticking to points (WW online) so why am I shocked? I guess because I still don't have my treadmill set up here, that is at least a couple weeks in the future. But all the animal chores take up more time right now until we get acclimated.

So I just wanted to check in and share my success. I feel so good about myself right now. I can look in a mirror and not be repulsed.

Hattie22
10-09-2008, 08:20 AM
Hi everyone :wave:

Suenami: :balloons:Congrats on the 4 lbs loss! That is awesome!

Pam: Congrats on your 1.6 lb loss! :congrat: Don't worry about the 40s. Welcome to the group!

Have a great day all!:sunny:

Pam9397
10-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Good Morning,

Suenmi, Did you say 8 kids? :eek: You must be a very busy person.:) Glad your move went well and you lost weight in the process. :carrot:

Hello to hattie, dolphinlvr, Chelby29, clickchick, slashnl, clydesgirl, Wardhog and OMG did I forget anyone? :)

Have a great day everyone.

PhotoChick
10-09-2008, 12:43 PM
Hey everyone. Popping back in again to say "hello".

It's been a busy few months for me. The wedding rush is slowing down but I'm getting started with holiday craziness.

I'm also dealing with some personal and legal issues that are taking up a lot of my time and emotional energy and so I've been back and forth and up and down and sorta all over the place. I'm hoping that this month will see the end of the worst of it and I can move into the rest of the holidays in a better frame of mind.

Hope everyone here is doing well!

dolphinlvr
10-09-2008, 02:32 PM
Suenami:

:congrat: on the continued weight loss. Even though you odn't have the treadmill set up yet, I am sure you are burning calories just unpacking and keep ing up with those 8 kids of yours. Woow you got alot on your plate but it is so good to see you posting and see your progress. We started around the same time and you are doing awesome.

Photochick:

I think you need this :hug:. I am sorry to here you are going through tough times but that is what we are here for...to get you through them.

Clydegirl

We all have good and bad days so don't feel like you can't share both. I gained 3 1/2 lbs but I did not let it get to me cause I knew I could lose it again...so even if the scale gives you bad news just say, tomorrow is a new day and I will try to do better. I have learned if I change my perspective I get better results.

Diane:

I know it can be hard when you are not sharing in the weight loss or you got other things going on so we appreciate you still being happy for us. Thanks for checking in.

Pam:

Happy Belated Birthday:hb: Make a wish. Also congrats on the 1.6 lbs yesterday. You go girl!

Hello to Hattie, Chelby29, clickchick, Wardhog, LetsgoMets and for those 40 somethings that are lurking :)

Karen

Clydegirl
10-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Hi girls.

Well as I thought I gained a pound. I should be thankful it's not more. This month is a challenge because 2 of my daughters have birthdays this week and my husband's birthday is at the end of the month. It's also our wedding anniversary,23 years doesn't time fly when you're having fun!

4 day weekend for our schools for the Columbus Day Holiday. Looks like the weather will be nice.

Enjoy the day.

chunckymonkey
10-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Congratulations Hattie!

You all are really fantastic...tomorrow I have my first weigh in and as long as I have your support - it will all be better. You All Are Really Terrific

AspiringButterfly
10-10-2008, 12:34 PM
Hi all! Dolphinlvr, I finally found this thread, LOL! I guess I thought the other one was the one you were talking about. That sounded weird, LOL! Anyway, glad to be around supportive people. I am also doing WW (I saw someone posted that). I'm doing it on my own though, trying to keep my costs down as much as possible. I'm doing the points counting and that seems to be less stressful for me as I've done it so many times, it's like second nature anymore. I found a really good article on Yahoo health "Training for Life's Transitions" (look it up on yahoo Health - I wasn't able to copy and paste the link as I have to have 25 or more posts) it was really helpful to me. Turning my focus to looking at my eating triggers but also how to develop ways to deal with them. For example, yesterday was especially a hard day for me. Stressful week (I fell off the wagon twice) and I was more tired than usual and developing a headache that I feared would turn into a migraine. This is a super big trigger for me! All I wanted was some comfort food to "feel better". I just wanted some buttered toast, late at night, and I went into my same mental attitude of "poor me, I deserve to feel better, I had a rough week and my head hurts". But thank God my logical mind stepped in and although wasn't as sympathetic as my emotional mind, nudged me into thinking "sure you might feel better initially....but you know that you'll have acid reflux then when you go to bed and then you'll be mad at yourself tomorrow and it would be one more setback." I agreed in my mind and tried to distract myself from thinking about food. I got online, looked around this website, checked out my myspace and then decided it was late enough I should just try and catch up on some sleep and maybe that would help my headache and also that I just really needed to rest. The next morning I was soooooo proud of myself for diverting my own attention and not giving into my emotions! It's so hard, but so worth it. I read somewhere "Nothing tastes as good as Feeling Good Feels" or something to that effect. I totally agree. One bad week down, and I'm feeling confident that maybe I could tackle another one, although I am certainly not inviting it, LOL! I wish everyone a good weekend and the strength to fight the good fight! Hugs, Carole

sillycat4
10-10-2008, 08:15 PM
Awesome guys!

I've been busy - work projects coming to an end - always gets crazy..

Last weekend went to LA to see Santana in concert - they were AWESOME!!!

Ate badly 2 days this week - then straightened out - whew!

I LOVE being able to wear most if not all of my old clothes! I HATED being restricted to one pair of fat jeans and 2 fat suits for work.. That just sucks!

Photo - hang in there those bad things will pass and you'll be able to enjoy the holidays.

I'm always sad to see summer go - but LOVE the holiday season too!

HATE what's going on in the economy - that said it's been a long time coming..

((hugs)) to all

beth4365
10-12-2008, 06:09 PM
Hello everyone,

I've resisted posting in these threads because I can't be here everyday and I don't want to jump in and then feel like I'm ignoring everyone who says hello.

I think I said something similar last month and then Ohio had this freak windstorm and I didn't have internet for almost two full weeks -- so it really DID look like I was ignoring people who posted to me, and it wasn't the case.

I love this site and all the information I've found here. I've learned so much about eating healthily. I'm a bit down that my loss isn't going more quickly. I started August 1 and in 10 or soon weeks I've been here, I've only lost 17 lbs. It sure seems like it should be more than that.

Anyway, hello, to everyone! Hope to see you around!

AspiringButterfly
10-13-2008, 02:02 AM
Beth, don't get down on yourself! 17 lbs. since August??? That is amazing!!! I've only lost maybe not even half of that since that time! You should be very proud of yourself and celebrate what you've accomplished. I love watching "Biggest Loser" and the one thing that has struck me (other than I would love to have personalized training and attention LOL) is that some weeks they lose, others they gain and some weeks they stay the same. Everyone loses at a different rate and there really is no "should be more than that". I see that you started at 213 and are down to 196! That is so awesome! I can't wait until I'm under 200 lbs.! Keep up whatever it is you're doing and don't get depressed thinking about what you think you "should be" at weightwise. My husband always tells me "it took more than a few weeks to put on these pounds, give yourself the same amount of time to take it off". I don't want it to take 10 plus years go take off 50 some lbs., but I have to be honest, as long as it's coming off, one lb. a month loss is better than l lb. a month gain. I'll take whatever my body wants to give me. Staying active is the key for me and the most daunting. But even if I fall off the wagon, be it for a day, a week or months, I will still get back on! Everyone on here knows it really is a lifestyle change and it takes time for that to become habit and incorporate into your life new habits and changes. You are doing great! Congratulations on your weightloss!

Huma
10-13-2008, 01:56 PM
Hi, I am new here and I want to shed atleast 15 pounds...Any advise???

Huma
10-13-2008, 01:58 PM
It seems I am putting n weight on my waist. Rest is all fine (so it seems to me). I am getting depressed.

sillycat4
10-13-2008, 04:07 PM
Huma - please don't get down on yourself - over the course of a year I put on oer 47lbs - just finished the 9 months of taking them back off - just set yourself some mini goals. The hardest thing is to realize that our metabolisms slow down and that not all of us are the same that way - we all have different rates of using calories that we eat. You'll find what works for you - especially once you hit your 40s it's harder. So cut yourself some slack and the best advice against depression - cardio exercise. It can seriously alter your brain chemistry in a positive way.

Beth - I only stop in sometimes - it's nice to read what everyone is up to and know that there are friends out there struggling with the same issues - you don't have to be here every day - none of us have time for that - so stop in when you can and hang in there - we all can and will do this!

(((hugs))) to all.

Lovn - Diane - Tech - where are you guys - hopefully off living your lives - but we miss you here too.!

C.

beth4365
10-13-2008, 05:10 PM
Carole - Thank you very much for your encouraging words. When I re-read my whine, I was embarrassed! You're completely right - I just need to keep stepping in the right direction. Thanks to folks like you, I think I'll be able to do that! I hope you're having a great day!

Hi sillycat... my cat looks like your cat! *smile* Thanks for letting me know it's okay to just post when I can. I appreciate that and will be making the effort to do so!

Grins, hugs and hi-fives to every one else, too!

Pam9397
10-13-2008, 06:41 PM
Hi Ladies,
I've been MIA for a few days. Just been busy with life in general. Yesterday my husband and I went on a fall foliage ride on the motorcycle. It was such a beautiful day and the scenery was great.

Unfortunately, the food choices were bad.:( I had 2 chicken fingers and a few fries. I was just glad I didn't inhale the whole serving. ;) I'm hoping to at least stay the same weight for my weigh in on Wednesday.

Hi to Beth, sillycat, aspiringbutterfly, huma and everyone else. Hope you are all doing well.:)

Have a great night everyone, Pam

Darlene 66
10-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am forever in a battle with the same 60lbs I have lost several times. I need all the help I can get and you all seem nice.

Clydegirl
10-13-2008, 10:59 PM
Hi girls.

Boy do I need to get back on track. I've been very indulgent this weekend. Chinese food, birthday cake over the weekend and Red Robin for lunch today. Too many birthdays in October. My husband's and 2 of my daughters and our anniversary aagghhh.

Things can only get better.

Darlene there is lots of support in here.

Darlene 66
10-13-2008, 11:10 PM
Thanks Clydegirl. You sound busy. My oldest son is getting married next June that is what shook me out of laziness and back on track.

Darlene

AspiringButterfly
10-14-2008, 02:46 PM
Hi Darlene! What has been working for me is slow and steady so far. When I try to lose too much at once I just end up working myself up and getting depressed and ultimately giving up. I'm telling myself over and over that it takes time to make new habits and encorporate them into my lifestyle. I've always had an "all or nothing" attitude and it's hard to get out of that mindset but I believe I will eventually. It's all about (for me) changing my negative self-talk to positive self-talk and just plain being as nice to myself as I am to others. I treat complete strangers better than I do myself sometimes, so I have to remind myself that it's okay to be selfish with my time once in awhile, etc. You'll get there. I feel that this website helps with all it's resources and support. Hang in there!

Hattie22
10-14-2008, 05:27 PM

A big :welcome2: to Huma, Beth, and Darlene

Clydegirl: Pull yourself up by those bootstraps and don't worry about what was, concentrate on what is and what will be. Like how incredible you are and how healthy you will be.:flow1:

Carole: I have said the same thing before. We are our own best friends and our own worst enemies. We would never say the things we say to ourselves to anyone. When I catch myself being mean to myself I try to react like someone else would...How Dare You!! I also laugh real hard at all my jokes! (I think I am sooo funny) :rofl:
I try to remember the little girl inside and know she still gets hurt easily.

One of Fergie's songs hits home for me... "Big girls don't cry" "...It's personal, myself and I, we got some straightening out to do...To be with myself and center, Clarity, Peace, Serenity..."

Beth: You have done an awesome job!!! 17 lbs!! Think of what 17 lbs. of something looks like! Keep up the good work! :cheer2:

I had a great weekend. Didn't have my treadmill so I convinced my DD and DH to go for a beautiful Autumn walk at a state park. We walked 2 miles. (I could have gone more but I gave in to my family's wishes.) They have this beautiful trail for bikes and walks. As I looked at all the beautiful fall colors, I thought of how I too am becoming more beautiful. I lost 2lbs. and am now down 25 lbs.

Thanks to everyone for being here!

Pam9397
10-14-2008, 07:36 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just stopping in to say hi. Hope everyone is having a good day on plan.

Congratulations Hattie on another 2 pounds!! :dancer: 25 pounds is awesome. Keep up the great work. It's great motivation to the rest of us.:D

Pam

Darlene 66
10-14-2008, 11:00 PM
Thanks all for the welcome. I've been on Atkins for the last two weeks, it helps me get off the sugar. I'm going to start back on WW tomorrow. I have trouble with exercise. I work 12 hour shifts and just don't feel like moving after work is over.

I understand what someone said when they said they are nicer to strangers then to themselves. I spend all day giving at work (I'm an RN) but let me make one mistake and I'm instantly down on myself. I also have some work to do. Old scars heal slowly.

Hope you all continue to have a great week. Thanks for the support.

Darlene

Pam9397
10-15-2008, 08:32 PM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome Darlene.:) Best of luck to you with WW. I've never tried Atkins because I just dont think I could give up carbs. My sister, on the other hand, did great on it.

I had my wi tonight and am happy to say I lost 1.8 pounds. After the week I had, it was kind of surprising.:D

Does anyone do exercise dvd's instead of going to the gym? If so, can you recommend one that is good for a beginner?

Have a great night everyone. Pam :goodvibes

chunckymonkey
10-15-2008, 09:17 PM
Ok Pam, now I'm really showing my age :joker: The original Sweating to the Oldies by Richard Simmons is still fantastic. Let me tell ya, you'll be thanking the saints by the time Beyond The Sea plays...I also hear Walking Off The Pounds is really good.

AspiringButterfly
10-16-2008, 01:22 AM
I always enjoyed the old Susan Powter exercise videos and the older Jane Fonda step aerobics ones. I got a "Just My Size" yoga DVD that is pretty good. It's designed for larger women who just can't do some of those pretzel poses, LOL! Let us know if you come across one that you like and good luck!

WardHog
10-16-2008, 06:52 AM
I used a lot of DVDs from The Firm when I worked out at home. They usually do circuits of weights and cardio. They rock!

Joybells
10-16-2008, 12:37 PM
Hi everyone

I am amazed just how much time I can spend reading here! There is so much support!

Pam, I use Walk Away the Pounds and have really enjoyed it. The one I bought has a one mile walk and a 2 mile walk. I am very much a beginner, but find this easy to follow and to adjust as needed. (You can do the workouts with weights or without, they people doing it both ways.) I hope that helps!

Have a great day everyone.

Huma
10-17-2008, 02:50 PM
Thank You SillyCat4. I just need some push. I really want to shed all this weight. Any ideas what I should start with, please.

beth4365
10-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Just stopping by to say hello...

It has been so pretty here.. the trees changing color... the chilly mornings...

I think it's time for some warm weather soups...

Hang in there everyone!

Pam9397
10-19-2008, 10:47 AM
Hello Everyone,

Hope everyone is having a good, on plan, weekend.

Thanks for all the ideas for exercise videos. I have tried a Walk Away the Pounds video, though I don't remember which one. I did like it though. Gotta see if I can dig it out and do it again. The Firm videos look good too. Haven't tried those yet. I am looking. If I come across something I will post it.

Have a great weekend,

Pam :)

sillycat4
10-19-2008, 12:50 PM
and come with 2 levels in the same videos - there is always someone doing a "modified" version of each exercise so that you can work into the heavier weights - stronger movements. The mix of cardio & strength training is what in my feeble little mind make it work so well.

I still do them 3 days a week and alternate that with running 5 miles 3 days a week - taking one day a week off from exercise.

And boy did I blow it with desert last night! but it was sooooo good and once a week isn't too bad is it?

Huma - start with exercise - schedule it into your day - then start by lowering your portion size for your least favorite meal of the day and work up to the others - starting slow helped me get to a place where I understood what my metabolism was doing and where I could lose the weight slowly but steadily - not that i didn't reach plateaus but they were easier to moderate.

Being over 40 I didn't really understand what my metabolism had done - but it had slowed.

Anyway - hope all are doing well - hang in there!!! You all can do this!

C.

funinthesun
10-20-2008, 10:15 AM
Hi everyone I'm a new member and am so excited to start my journey. I have three children and I'm finaly ready to take care of me. Look forward to all your great advice along the way.
Josie

dolphinlvr
10-21-2008, 02:22 AM
Not that I really left just have been so busy.

So first off...

:welcome: Darlene, Funinthesun, chunkymonkey,Huma

Hi to Sillycat, Beth, Joybells, Clydegirl, wardhog, Carole, Pam, Diane, Hattie and anyone else I left off.

This board has sure grown. It's so good to see new people joining in and sharing their lives.

I try to read posts but I have been so busy with work, family, flu bugs, my Anniversary, Birthdays...it's been a busy month.

You will be happy to know my weight though slow is till coming off. Believe me it has been a struggle especially when I got that nasty flu and all I wanted to do was sleep. I just starting walking this weekend but I got really tired but I plan on trying it again tomorrow. I don't want to push myslef to hard but I don't want to get so far out of the routine either.

Hope all of you are doing well and keep posting when you can. Those of you shedding those pounds:bravo: and to those struggling, don't give up the fight.

Karen

Joybells
10-21-2008, 01:42 PM
Karen - hope you are feeling 100% soon! Sounds like you really have been busy!

Having a good day today, but yesterday was a struggle. I have lost 5 lbs since starting 2 weeks ago, but figuring out a new way of eating and trying to work all the exercise into my days feels like a full time job!

Does anyone have good snack ideas? I really don't care for raw veggies, but do eat fruit, smoothies and cheese sticks.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Hattie22
10-21-2008, 04:41 PM

Karen: Welcome back. I missed you! :getwell: Glad to hear of your loss! Way to go!

Joybells: It is a full time job! But sooo worth it! Probably the best paying job at that! I do know what you mean. I feel that I am so focused on eating healthy and exercise that I have no extra time to read books, clean...etc..
I think that it is getting better. I have been doing this for 2 mths. and I think I am getting the hang of it. I don't want to stop focusing on it because I am afraid I will slip into my old patterns. Besides, I spent so much time raising kids and working and of course my hubby, that I never spent enough time on me. Now that my kids are grown, I can spend time on me. I have let people know that right now I have to concentrate on my health. So far..everybody has been supportive. People at work are starting to eat better because they see it working for me. So maybe it is not selfish after all.

Let's just keep going everybody!!!

AspiringButterfly
10-22-2008, 02:13 AM
Anybody here a "Biggest Loser" show fan? I just got some of their books today in the mail and I was just getting ready to sit down and read through the cookbook to see if anything looked good for tomorrow. Also got the tips book and the workout book, so hopefully these will motivate me. Motivation has been hard the past two weeks. I have stayed the same, haven't gained which I'm at least happy about that because I haven't been able to stick to my regimen. I hope all have a great week! I'm going to try and hop back on the wagon!

Clydegirl
10-22-2008, 03:59 PM
Hi girls.

Carole I'm a Biggest Loser fan. I was ticked off last night at Vicky/Brady and Heba. Sure looks like Brady is water logging. Vicky is so mean. I can't wait until they break up the teams and everyone is playing for themselves.

dolphinlvr
10-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Hope you are all having a good day. Thought I would take a quick break and chime in. I have been watching the biggest loser but also I am a big dancing with the Stars fan so I watch one and tape the other so I only got the tail end of the biggest loser cause I wanted to see who was up for elimination. Yeah Heba and Vicky seemed so phoney during the ceremony, "this is so hard for me, nothing personal", yeah right they had it out for Amy and she knew it. I love that she has lost so much weight since leaving.

On to other things. I went to the gym yesterday and worked out on the treadmill and elyptical but I could only do 20 minutes on the treadmill and 10 on the elyptical. I had to stop cause I felt light headed and overheated. Guess I am still not 100% over this bug. I have been weighing myslef every other day but I have decided that it is only going to be a once a week thing like on the biggest loser or weight watchers. Then I have something to look forward to at the end of the week. Friday morning will be my weigh in. I am setting myself a mini goal of 5 lbs by my Birthday which is Nov 13th.

Joybells: I am a chocoholic so I need my fix once and awhile. So my snack is usually skinny cow ice cream bar or sandwich which I believe are 90 calories or my favorite Dreyers dark chocolate bars (which are made with 1/2 the sugar and fat of a regular bar which are only 100 calories. So I am getting my dairy and a little bit of chocolate too. Another thing I found is fruit cups with no sugar added I believe they are made by Delmonte. I too love string cheese and most brands now have low fat ones that I think are 20 calories less than the others. Hope this helps.

Back to work. talk to ya later.

Enjoy the rest of the day.

Karen

Joybells
10-23-2008, 10:45 AM
Hattie - thanks for the encouragement. I look forward to the day when this lifestyle becomes more natural to me.

Karen - thanks for the snack ideas. Maybe a little chocolate mid-day would perk up the rest of my day! I think I will have to look for the Dreyers. I have gotten the Skinny Cow sandwiches and love them. My kids really like them too and I feel better letting them have one of those after dinner than full fat ice cream.

I have never watched Biggest Loser. Do you all find it motivating? Maybe I will have to check it out.

Have a wonderful day everyone! :wave:

dolphinlvr
10-24-2008, 02:12 PM
First off Hattie thanks for missing me it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. I missed talking with you gals and hopefully I will be writing more.

Joybells: I was way off on the Dryers creamery ice cream bar. It has half the fat but calories are 150 not 100 and sugars are higher I think 16, fat is only 9 grams though so semi-bad ice cream bar. I will save it for PMS days (tee hee). There is another snack that I like. They are quaker oats granola snacks. They come in 100 calories packs and they come in chocolate, peanut butter and cinnimon. They are yummy and satisfy my sweet tooth.

Hope everyone has a great, weight losing but fun weekend!

Hattie22
10-25-2008, 10:34 AM
Hi Everyone :wave:

Just checking in. Haven't lost anything for 2 wks. I am refiguring my plan. I'll let you know how it goes. I don't think I am eating enough for the exercise I am doing.

:crossed: We'll see how I do.

AspiringButterfly
10-27-2008, 03:11 PM
Clyde! Sorry, I haven't been on for awhile. Yeah, that whole Heba thing with Vickie and Brady, WOW! So I'm feeling like if Heba doesn't deal with her taking everything so personal issues and having to get revenge on people, she's going to create more hurdles for her keeping any weight off that she's losing. Seems to me like negativity, clinging to worrying about "other" people doesn't help anyone lose weight let alone keep it off. I'm speaking from experience here, not judging. I know that when I'm in a "happy" place, it seems almost effortless to not avoid food issues. It's when the stress of family, work, finances comes into it that I just seem to not be able to help myself!!! So frustrating. Right now I'm holding on (weightwise, same weight for three weeks) - I'm working on craft items for an upcoming bazaar so lots of sitting and working on sewing/crafting right now. When I come up for air, I just want something quick. It really helps to have some Lean Cuisines available and I've also been getting alot of Fiberone brand stuff, poptarts (weakness) and stuff. I can eat that stuff and not feel guilty. I use the poptarts as a treat and it helps me stay away from chips and other sweetstuff with no redeeming qualities. Exercise has been harder to get motivated to do. I love my treadmill, but my garage is freezing, LOL! I guess I'd burn more calories that way? LOL! Anyway, hope all are well. Friday is Halloween - me and my husband's 16 year wedding anniversary! Going out to dinner on Sunday so I plan on at least sticking to eating healthily until then. I haven't been cutting calories so that's probably why I haven't lost any weight. But I haven't gained any either so that also makes me happy. I've proved I can maintain this weight (even though it's alot of weight still for me to carry) so I have confidence that when I start calorie shifting again that I will lose and be able to keep it off.

Everyone have a wonderful week!

Hattie22
10-27-2008, 06:37 PM

Aspiring: Happy Anniversary!!!

I adjusted my calories from 1400 to 1600 and I guess it worked. I lost 2 lbs.

Still doing the treadmill and wii fit. Not much chatting going on. I guess everyone is really busy.

Love and best wishes for healthier lives!

AspiringButterfly
10-30-2008, 01:39 PM
Thank you Hattie! Congratulations on your weight loss! Here's hoping we all make it through the Halloween treats unscathed, LOL!

Hattie22
10-31-2008, 05:20 PM
Last day in October!!! Where is everyone? I miss you guys (or gals really.)
Nobody feels like chatting?

I am OP and exercising. I am so proud of myself that I am not going off plan for Halloween. It is just another excuse to trip me up.

Hope everyone is well and everything is OP for you! :smug:

AspiringButterfly
01-06-2009, 10:56 PM
Hi everyone! I hope everyone had a wonderful Holiday season. I'm glad it's done. It's so hard to stick to anything halfway healthy during that time of year for me. But, we got a Wii fitness cd and it is way fun. It has exercises I don't feel too old or out of shape to do. I'm hoping I can at least get back on track with improving my health. I hope everyone else is doing well! Let's chat! Carole :0)

WardHog
01-07-2009, 07:06 AM
I'm in! What's up with you guys?

Hattie22
01-08-2009, 09:01 PM
I think we need a new thread! I have never started one but I will try...

Hi Carole!

AspiringButterfly
01-11-2009, 10:53 PM
Sounds good Hattie - any suggestions on what the new thread should be? What sounds good to people? Let's make 2009 our best year yet!!!

Hattie22
01-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Carole...Check out the new thread..jan.2009

We have a lot of people joining us!