Exercise! - Cool Runners -- October Thread!

View Full Version : Cool Runners -- October Thread!

Mrs Snark
10-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Welcome to October folks! A bright and shiny new month that we can run all over!

Hi girls, can I join in? I'm not a "proper" runner like you yet, but I'm up to week 2 of the C25K, and I've been lurking here all month. :o

I'm so inspired by what you have achieved. My plan is to do the C25K, then work up to a 10k, and there's a rather large 10k here in June every year that I want to run. It's organised by my local running club, so that's what my aim is at the moment.

Cheers girls!

A "proper" runner is anybody who is running -- no matter how far, how long, or how fast. You are most certainly a proper runner! How exciting to have a target race already, that will help motivate you through the C25k! We're glad to have you in the thread, post often and let everyone know how it is going!

Well, the "cool" front I want looking forward didn't quite happen but it was at least in the mid-70s (though really, really humid) this morning. I did 5.08 miles and felt fine but very, very sweaty even at 5:30 am. Ick.

There is an inaugural 5k to be held at a beach park right down from my house later this month that I may do because I can bike to it, do the race, then bike home. That sounds like fun!

JulieJ08
10-01-2008, 11:17 AM
I completely agree with your definition about a real runner. But sometimes you reach a point where it *feels* more real :D. And that, for me, is now! Because I'm in week 7 of C25K, and I'm not doing any more walking intervals! 25 minutes of running - but not 2.5 miles, like their schedule says. Somebody down there was on drugs when they decided to estimate distances based on a 10-minute mile. I mean, 6 weeks ago they had me running only 60 seconds at a time. Duh. I think I'm maybe doing a 12 or 12:30 mile, but haven't formally timed it. Not that I'm pushing speed right now at all, it's just fun to know.

It feels good. And my family is at least pretending to be suitably impressed too ;).

Mrs Snark
10-02-2008, 07:46 AM
Congratulations, Julie!!! Your family should be impressed, it's awesome!

nelie
10-02-2008, 11:31 AM
Hey all!

Last night was first day of running class and it was awesome to be running with a large group of people. There were about 20 of us or so. Right now we are doing walk 3 minutes, run 1 minute and I was actually near the front of the pack! Today was another run day on our schedule (we are to run 4 times/week) so I ran before my swim and it was good but not as fun as with the group. I can't wait until next Wednesday even though I was sooo nervous.

Mrs Snark
10-02-2008, 11:37 AM
How exciting Nelie! It sounds like the group running is alot of fun!

kittycat40
10-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Hey gals,

very cool on the "official" running Julie and Nelie... super wow on the group runs. Those are a bit intimidating for me. And Josephine... I don't think I ever gave you a solid "CONGRATs, awesome job!!!!" on the goal attained status you now have!!

My update is that I now am very proactive about making sure cars see me and allow me to proceed. Wild arm waving occurs regularly ;)

Mrs Snark
10-04-2008, 07:28 PM
Let's see, yesterday I did 3.27 miles (then did some walking later, too) and I'm planning on either a 9 or 10 miler on Monday morning as my weekly long run. Tomorrow I'm volunteering at the local triathlon that I've raced a couple of times. I'm looking forward to it.

The only thing I dislike about the really long runs is how absolutely drenched my clothes and hat (and I) get. It is still so warm and humid here that after about 5 miles (at 5:30 am) my clothes are saturated and no longer able to wick away the sweat. I haven't settled on a good solution for this. For my last 10 miler, I did a double loop route and used my mailbox as a water station AND a shirt/hat change at the halfway point. I think I need to do that again, but instead of doing the same loop twice maybe do 5 miles to the north of my mailbox and then 5 miles to the south of it. I need the change of scenery.

jenguin
10-05-2008, 12:40 AM
Hi everyone. I had a nice cool day to do 12 miles today, and my pacing was better than usual. That's one thing I really need to work harder on. For those of you who do run negative splits, do you have any tricks/tips on how you were able to get there? I generally do okay keeping some energy for the end, but it's the middle of the run where I slow down. I'd like to make it a little more linear on the speed from the beginning of the run.

kittycat40
10-05-2008, 12:52 PM
oh wise running chicks, what is a negative split?? :)

jenguin
10-05-2008, 03:01 PM
kittycat - I actually thought about that while I was running and thought I should explain, but of course forgot when I actually logged on!

Anyway, negative splits are when you run faster miles in your later miles than your earlier miles. The definitions I can find all say to run the last half of your race faster than your first half.

Hopefully I can learn some definitions I have been wondering about since I started running too - anyone care to explain the term fartlek to me?

:)

Mrs Snark
10-05-2008, 04:33 PM
I think the only reason I run negative splits is that I'm more and more ready to be home as the run goes on and I start running faster to get there, lol. Plus I'm a cautious starter, always trying to conserve something for the end.

Fartlek is just a fancy Swiss term for speed work.

nelie
10-05-2008, 06:21 PM
Hey all,
I ran this morning. Our program had us increasing from 16 minutes to 24 minutes. I was actually amazed at how easier running seems in just a short period of time. I really wanted to just keep going but I know... start slow.. I want my legs to catch up to the demands that'll be placed on them.

Mrs Snark
10-06-2008, 05:53 PM
This morning, I experienced the tragedy of running 10.11 miles while apparently wicked under-fueled. It wasn't pleasant and now I have to try and get barf out of my favorite running shoes.

I'll make EXTRA sure next time that I've eaten enough the 2 days prior to a long run. Duh.

lene1974
10-06-2008, 08:37 PM
Hi October runners,
My computer caught a virus and I was so sad. I have been running 5K twice a week and trying to go for longer runs once a week. My knee was giving me a little grief but I think it worked itself out for now.

Josephine~I can't believe you were sick. poor you :( poor running shoes

Nelie~ great job on the 24 minute run and pacing yourself

nelie
10-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Tyler - sorry to hear that!

I came home after work and ran/walked for 22 minutes. (My training plan calls for 16). I then grabbed the dogs and went on a brisk walk with them for another 19 minutes. Tomorrow is swim!

southofriver
10-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm doing a ten mile race on 19 Oct - the Twickenham Cabbage Patch Run in case any other Londoners are about. The longest run I've done to date is 9 miles but I felt pretty fit after that, so I know I can go the distance. I usually run 5 miles twice a week, with one longer run of 7 or 8. Does anyone have any ten-mile tips?

jenguin
10-07-2008, 09:55 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm doing a ten mile race on 19 Oct - the Twickenham Cabbage Patch Run in case any other Londoners are about. The longest run I've done to date is 9 miles but I felt pretty fit after that, so I know I can go the distance. I usually run 5 miles twice a week, with one longer run of 7 or 8. Does anyone have any ten-mile tips?

I only have these tips:

Don't start out too fast and have fun! The only other thing I would tell you is to repeat the advice about not starting out too fast.

:)

Mrs Snark
10-08-2008, 08:34 AM
Hi everyone,

To repeat the great advice you've already gotten: don't go out to fast at the start so you can save something for the finish. You want to look good crossing the finish line! ;)
Have a blast and come tell us how to went!

I did 5.14 miles this morning and thankfully didn't feel any ill effects from my under-fueled 10 miler debacle on Monday.

nelie
10-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Tonight is run class!

Pink Geranium
10-09-2008, 05:26 PM
Thanks Nelie for the biking advice. (I'm a little slow in replying, I need to catch up here a bit, I think!) It's what I thought -just give it a try. One day it will happen, I think -you know, you just decide, OK, I'm going to try it. thanks for the encouragement.

I have run a couple of 5K's in the past few weeks and they've been fun. In the last one, a totally flat course along a river, I did 24:05. Surprised myself, especially since I've been having trouble with asthma recently, but I have new medication and it helps a lot. After all, I do need to breathe to run, right?

I will be doing a xcountry 5K this Saturday and I'm really looking forward to it - I like the mental challenge as well as the physical. Plus, since each course is different, I can't compare times, and I just go out and run and enjoy it. This one is also interesting in that it is for women only, an annual event to encourage women of all ages to run. Right afterwards they have the county high schools championship event so we will stay and watch that too.

I did 8.4 miles yesterday and I'm thrilled I made it. My 2nd longest run ever!

Mrs Snark
10-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Pink Geranium -- Oh jeeze, I lust after a 24:05 5k! I'm happy when I bring them in anywhere is the 28 min range. Congratulations! Did you win your age group with that time?

Pink Geranium
10-10-2008, 02:00 PM
Hi Tyler, Yes, actually I did (win my age group), thanks for your compliments. I was jumping up and down like the kids do (I prefer to think I'm young at heart, not childish!). I have to say I was totally shocked by the time, although I thought I was going pretty fast, since the course was totally flat and easy to run. And it was a perfect pleasant morning to run. Cool and the course was shady.

I think I was also helped by the fact that a friend of ours who does about 22 minutes also ran the race and I was able to judge a bit from how far ahead of me he was at the turnaround (the race was a simple out and back). I don't run with a watch since given the way my mind works, I'd be looking at it every 10 yards and worrying about my speed, etc., so I usually just run along and let it be what it is. I felt pretty good and figured that it was all going fine, so just keep it up!

I was also very happy that no speedy 9 year olds passed me in the final quarter mile (like in the last race I did, and where do they get all that energy??? And this particular kid was running for a while with his shoes untied. As a mother I could not let that go and yelled at him to tie his shoe. He gave me that look, but he did stop and tie the laces, and then he STILL beat me...)

Anyway, it seems that my endurance is getting better as I was able to keep up a good pace at the finish rather than fading as I did at the beginning of the summer. I think this was also because I tried to run strong at the beginning, but not as hard as I have been doing, and then build up some speed, and then I wasn't tired out for the middle of the race.

Seems like I learn something every race! And it encourages me to keep trying.

nelie
10-10-2008, 02:12 PM
I'm bad... I have a training plan... it says to run/walk for 16 minutes. Last night, I ran/walked for 33 minutes and it was a little over 2 miles. "oops" I had fun but it was kind of scary because it got dark quick and the roads were a bit deserted.

Congrats Geranium on the AG win! that is awesome.

midwife
10-10-2008, 07:20 PM
Pink Geranium, :lol: at telling the kid to tie his shoes. I can just see him busting to pass you again. It might be a good racing strategy to "mother" your competitors though! "Have you had enough water?" "Where is your sunscreen?" Leave them perplexed and thinking as you fly by.

Congrats on the 24 min 5K. That's awesome!

lene1974
10-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Wow Pink, awesome time on that 5K and congrats on winning in your age group!

Nelie good job on your walk/run. I don't like running in the dark either. I really miss the longer days of sunlight minus the heat and humidity.

kittycat40
10-11-2008, 01:04 AM
Great job pink.

I have been trying to get some miles in. This past wednesday I ran from Penn Station, NYC to my work site (5m) and then back after the work day. While I was at work I felt like I could fly. - wonderful.
Today I was aiming for 8 or 9 miles but allowed myself to get interrupted and ended up running 7 miles. The good news is that I realized my 6 mile loop used to be 80 min and it is now 70 min whereas my 7 mile run today was 80 min. SOunds like improvement, eh?

happy weekend, all.

Primm
10-11-2008, 03:31 AM
Pink Geranium, well done on winning your age group! And how funny about the kid with the shoelaces, that sounds exactly like something I would have done.

My own little personal achievement this week? I'm doing week 4 of C25K, which is the 90 sec/90/3 min/3 repeats. Yesterday I got to the end of my second 3 minute jog, which finished a lap of the track I run at. I was feeling pretty good, so I decided to keep going and see how far I could go. I managed another entire lap! So I jogged for over 6 minutes straight, without stopping!.

I worked a night shift last night, and I wanted to go for another run when I got home. But I was totally knackered, so I decided sleep was more important and I'd do it when I got up.

Cheers chickies!

Haley8203
10-11-2008, 09:35 AM
hey all, ive got my first 5K on thanksgiving lol oh i dont know how you guys go 5+ miles im so jealous, well my training plan from runners world has me going up to 6 miles on week 5. ive been jogging for a few months the most ive ever gone was 3 miles. my problem is if im not on a treadmill i never know how fast im going and i dont want to burn out maybe i need to do some pace counting in my head, i wonder if that would work hmmm.....

lene1974
10-12-2008, 09:58 AM
Kittycat ~you sound like you're definitely improving, awesome job on 7 mile run

Primm~ great job on week 4, running 6 minutes straight is super.

I went out this AM planning on a 4.6 mile run. I decided to keep going and ran 5.3 miles. I normally only run 3.5miles and didn't want to push it too much and make myself sore. Needless to say, I'm feeling pretty stoked. :D

kittycat40
10-13-2008, 12:02 AM
I went out this AM planning on a 4.6 mile run. I decided to keep going and ran 5.3 miles. I normally only run 3.5miles and didn't want to push it too much and make myself sore. Needless to say, I'm feeling pretty stoked. :D

awesome! :)

Mrs Snark
10-13-2008, 11:55 AM
Congrats Lene!!

Haleygirl -- learning to pace yourself if part of the excitement of running. If you bonk a few times you'll really learn how to be conservative for the first few miles! ;)

I did 10.31 miles this morning and felt great -- definitely banished the memory of puking on my last 10 miler! I'm contemplating adding a half-marathon race at the end of November to my schedule because it has a fun space theme and I want Princess Leia and Captain Kirk to give me water!

Haley8203
10-13-2008, 12:39 PM
how do you know exactly how far you go? my problem is im going to try and pace myself with my ipod because its a bikepath so i cant exactly drive through it and check the mileage that way lol

nelie
10-13-2008, 12:47 PM
Some people use gps devices to tell them. When I get home, I try to map my runs online, there are a few good places to do it.

MBN
10-13-2008, 12:49 PM
Hi gang, I'm back from a week out of town ... I had some AWESOME hikes in the mountains and just loved that cool clear autumn weather!! I didn't do a whole lot of running, but did get about 9 miles in on hilly trails. However, I hiked about 27 miles in 3 days. :D One morning, I ran in 48 degree weather, what a change for this South Florida gal. Loved it!!

Getting back home, I struggled through a hot and sweaty 13 miler yesterday ... I intended to do 15, but the 13 was about all I could manage. I don't know if it was the weather contrast, a fueling/hydration issue, or just not running enough the previous week. Two weeks ago, I did 14 miles and felt strong. I didn't have quite as bad an experience as Jo, just my butt was draggin'. At least, I didn't have to clean my shoes. :p

I'm going to sign up for my first 5K of the season, scheduled a week from Saturday. It should be a nice speed workout .... and I, too, lust after a 24 min 5K!! My quickest EVER was in the 26 min range. I just hope I haven't slowed down too much over the hot summer.

Haley8203
10-13-2008, 02:03 PM
well im pretty sure i jogged 2 miles on the bikepath lol i went by my ipod cause i went to mapmyrun.com and i dont think it helped but ill look again

MBN
10-13-2008, 03:59 PM
how do you know exactly how far you go? my problem is im going to try and pace myself with my ipod because its a bikepath so i cant exactly drive through it and check the mileage that way lol

When I first started training, I picked up a copy of Microsoft Streets and Maps. It let me pull up a map of my neighborhood and "draw" out my running route. It calculated the distance for me, and I found it to be pretty darn accurate. I mapped out routes from 3 miles up to 14 miles, for higher mileage, I do loops. That was 5-6 years ago, I bet you could find something online now.

The other alternative is to get one of the fancy GPS thingys, but that would be more expensive.

Haley8203
10-13-2008, 05:04 PM
hmm ya i have a gps but its not a road so i dont know how that would work but im gonna look into that microsoft thing, thanks!

nelie
10-13-2008, 05:06 PM
Some people (not me!) have fancy GPS sports watches that are made for biking/running/etc so they keep track of that stuff.

lene1974
10-13-2008, 06:19 PM

I was able to drive my distance to track my miles. On the web there is a site called http://www.mapmyrun.com/create_new that you can track your distance.

Haley8203
10-13-2008, 06:35 PM
thanks for all the answers! i tried to create my own but i ended up getting frustrated with it lol

nelie
10-13-2008, 10:47 PM
I did my run tonight, 2 minute walk, 2 minute run. It was actually a bit difficult mentally because I wasn't sure if I could run 2 minutes without stopping. I did it though!

Haley8203
10-14-2008, 06:47 AM
good going nelie!

nelie
10-14-2008, 11:09 AM
Oh I should also say that it was a 20 minute period of time last night. (Actually 23 but..) But the intervals were 2 minute walk/2 minute run. In 2 weeks, we switch to 3 minute run, 1 minute walk... after that we drop walking! EEk!!

cakses
10-14-2008, 01:05 PM
Hi everyone. I neglect this forum, sorry. I have been trying to run 3 days a week on Mon/Wed/Fri and I swim on Tu/Th/Sat. I am having endurance issues this month though. I started strong and got 2 miles in, but I haven't been able to repeat that and am stuck at 1-1/5 miles. My swimming has taken off though and I am wondering why that isn't helping me with running. I know that swimming uses all my muscles but obviously in a different way but I figured it would help with strengthening my legs and would help my endurance. It's strange to me that my running is suffering. I am just trying to plug through it as well as I can though and hoping it's just a bump in the road. I would really like to be able to run for 45 minutes straight. For now, when I crap out, I walk on an incline so I am burning as many calories as I can. Anyone have any ideas? I have also started to lift (light) weights a few days a week for 20-30 minutes to help strengthen my body.

MBN
10-14-2008, 01:41 PM
I started strong and got 2 miles in, but I haven't been able to repeat that and am stuck at 1-1/5 miles. (snip)
I am just trying to plug through it as well as I can though and hoping it's just a bump in the road. I would really like to be able to run for 45 minutes straight. For now, when I crap out, I walk on an incline so I am burning as many calories as I can. Anyone have any ideas?.

Even though swimming works muscles differently, it is still working them. It could be that you are experiencing a little residual fatigue that is impeding your performance a bit. I'd suggest slowing down a bit on your run. Either run at a slower pace that you can sustain longer, or incorporate structured walking breaks. (like: run 10 min / walk 1 min / repeat 4 times) You may feel that you're going backwards, but as your body adjusts to the increased demands, you will be able to work a little more on speed.

I'm actually a big fan of run/walking intervals. I did that for years and found that I could go WAY farther and longer that way ... and it doesn't slow you down all that much. Eventually, I found I got to the point where I could run continuously for extended periods, but that took quite a while.

Just a suggestion!

Pink Geranium
10-14-2008, 04:18 PM
Hi cakses, I swim and run too and I've found that they compliment each other but the results from swimming don't necessarily show up right away in running and vice versa. I know when I started running I was surprised at how sore and tired my legs and really, my whole body got, after a pretty short run, though my cardio fitness from swimming meant that I wasn't gasping for breath. I just couldn't make my legs go any further. Took time for my body to adjust to running so that I could take advantage of my swimming fitness.

I can also tell in swimming now how much stronger my legs and lower body are - I get a lot more out of my kick esp. in butterfly and backstroke. I'm even thinking of trying a Masters meet now (still just thinking...we'll see!)

I think if you give it a chance you'll see a breakthrough. I agree with maybe slowing down and seeing if that will extend your distance. That tactic did help me a lot. My running kind of hovered around the same level for a while and then suddenly got better. I think I just had to adjust to the new demands? Keep going, you'll get there!

Race update - I did the women only 5K xcountry this weekend and it was a lot of fun. Beautiful cool day, sunny, the course was quite hilly with a little creek crossing and some steep rocky ground to cover plus a long hill into the finish, why, oh why??? Very fast group of ladies on this event and mostly in their 40's and 50's, it was really great to see. Although the girl who was 3rd over all was 10 years old and ran like the wind. I did 25:18 and was more than thrilled with that, as previous cross country runs have been more like 28 to 30 minutes and I was hoping to get into the 27's. I really think the other women pulled me along.

I really enjoy this format, more challenging than being on the road, but not as dangerous to the near-sighted balance-deprived as a trail run. Looking forward to next summer and finding more of them around here.

lene1974
10-14-2008, 10:48 PM
I decided to shake my routine up a little bit. I ran 1 mile then I did sprints, hills and grapevines. Thurs. I'll run my normal 3.2 but I just wanted a little change tonight.

Pink, you are just coming up with awesome times for your 5K's. Congrats on another great run!

Great job Nelie!

lene1974
10-15-2008, 02:59 PM
Does anyone know where Kimpossible is? My computer was sick last month and I haven't seen any posts from her during this month. I hope all is well Kim!

Pink Geranium
10-15-2008, 03:09 PM
Thanks everyone for all the nice compliments and encouragement about my 5K's. I find this group really inspirational esp. since no one else I know runs and many think I've gone kind of nuts with this fitness thing, anyway (except my husband, but then he's also into this health and exercise life now, too, and that makes his opinion just as out there as mine). I appreciate the help.

This morning I ran 6.25 miles on a neighborhood park track, 1 mile around. Very peaceful as the sun came up! I am trying to make this distance 3x a week, with one session maybe a little bit longer. My first 10K is in 3 weeks and now I think I'll be ready for it.

Haley8203
10-15-2008, 06:04 PM
Pink Geranium-good luck with ur 10k!

i jogged 2 miles on the bike path, on monday i had to stop a couple times cause i wasnt used to jogging on anything but a treadmill but today i didnt have to stop, also my path has a couple baby hills that i am also new too and boy it makes a difference lol

southofriver
10-15-2008, 06:45 PM
Jenguin and Tyler, belated thanks for the running advice. I will definitely try not to start off too fast. My Mum runs a slightly slower pace than me so I will start out running with her and then maybe speed up after a couple of miles.

Well done to everyone else, you all seem to be doing many and varied types of activity. I like swimming but my pace is rubbish. I think I should have a couple of lessons. It takes me about 40 mins to swim a mile.

jenguin
10-15-2008, 08:55 PM
cakses - I'm a big fan of run/walk intervals and/or just slowing down to build endurance. I've found that for me run/walk intervals worked better and actually made my per mile time faster.

Pink - I'm totally jealous of your 5K times! It's awesome that you are doing so well. I have a couple of friends that run, but most of my friends think I'm crazy too. They may be right, but it's probably not because I like running - lol.

kittycat40
10-15-2008, 10:36 PM
Runner chicks that have marathoned or plan to marathon...

Do you use an 18 week training plan or the 30 week plan? (I'm asking after spending some time on Hal Higdon's site)

I want to do a may marathon in New Jersey. I want to preserve my joints so that the marathon is not my last running experience. I want it to be the first of more to be completed in my lifetime.

Thoughts, advice??

I just reread that ideally a marathoner, even a first timer should have been running for a year and should run occasional races (5k and 10k). This is not my situation. It is hard for me to get to real races b/c I am running with my kids- all over town. Also, while I have been an on and off runner, my recent stint has been since end march of 2008.
whadya think? too much for me?

nelie
10-15-2008, 10:58 PM
kitty - what is your current running level? How many miles do you run on a regular basis? (per week?)

I went to my running class and I had the most horrible side stitch! It was horrible.

kittycat40
10-15-2008, 11:05 PM
Well, Nelie, I'm trying to figure that out right now. I run anywhere from 15-25 miles per week. (this is for the last 4ish months)
My goals in training and completing a marathon are fitness and weight control as well as the pride of doing it.

Those side stiches are a real biatch. How did you handle it?

jenguin
10-16-2008, 12:43 AM
kitty - I think it is possible, but I wouldn't shoot for a time goal. I'd also consider signing up for a half marathon or 20K somewhere between now and May. If you're worried about preserving your joints you might want to consider Jeff Galloway's training plan, which incorporates planned walk breaks into both your training plan and your race. In one of his books he also lays out a training plan for either weight loss or weight control (I can't remember which).

Right now there's a weekly(?) first time marathoners thread on the beginners forum at runnersworld.com that has some good tips from people sometimes. You may want to check that out.

Side stitches are no fun. I read that it helps to push in where the stitch is with your fist. I've also read that exhaling while stepping down with the foot that is on the opposite side of the side stitch works. I've tried the first one and sometimes it helps. I'm not coordinated enough to get the second one down - lol.

nelie
10-16-2008, 10:32 AM
kitty - if you are already running 15-25 miles per week, I think the 18 week plan would work for you. If you find it too much for some reason, you could always switch to the 30 week plan.

As for the side stitch, I slowed down my running a bit and tried to stretch it out. My coach said that I should firm the side of the stitch like preparing for a punch, then lean over to that side.

MBN
10-16-2008, 10:40 AM
Kittycat -- when I did my (one and only) full marathon, I trained for approximately 6 months, loosely following a plan that was a hybrid of Hal Higdon and Jeff Galloway's beginner schedules. I had already been running for a couple of years and had done several shorter races, including 2 or 3 half marathons, before I decided to go for a full.

I don't think that doing other races is necessarily a pre-requisite for marathon training. The main thing that it gives you is race experience -- learning what it's like to participate in an actual event, which is very different from regular training. I think you could certainly go out and do a marathon as a first race, but doing others helps give you experience on pacing yourself, handling the crowds, fueling/hydrating, clothing, etc. It's an advantage, I think.

I think most anyone of reasonably good health can complete a marathon given sufficient motivation AND preparation. Training for and completing a marathon is a huge goal and a very rewarding and worthwhile one! But, 26.2 miles is a very, very long way. You have to respect the distance. As a relative beginner, it's hard to know yet how your body will respond to the series of progressively longer long-runs each week, and how much time that will demand from your schedule.

You are already running 20-25 miles per week, which is a good amount. But what is your long run distance ... that is the key to distance training. If your longest weekly run is 10 miles or so, then extending it by a mile every week or two isn't so bad. But if your longest run is 5 miles, then you've got a long way to go. And depending on your speed, those 15-20 mile long runs may take upwards of 3-4 hours. Also consider, when you're done with a 20 miler, frankly, you'll be pretty wiped out, which impacts what you can physically do the rest of that day. You have to make time for that in your schedule. And, I don't know where you are physically located, but also consider that you will be training over the winter. If outdoor weather conditions aren't favorable, do you have an indoor-running alternative for long distance runs? Your longest runs will occur in the Feb/March/April time frame.

Bottom line - what is your goal? If it is to finish a full marathon, then you just need to construct your training schedule based on your timeline, and decide if now is the time to go for it based on how you feel and ability to put in the training time. If your goal is fun, fitness, weight loss, and the incentive to step up your training ... then there are other race distances to consider that may offer the same benefits, like a half marathon or a 10K. Another option to consider is to start the marathon training schedule, with the half marathon as a fall-back, if the full distance turns out to be a bit too much.

I have to give the disclaimer that my favorite race distance is the half marathon. I found the marathon distance to just be a little too much, it got to be more like work than fun. I did it, and I work full time, am married with 2 school age boys, AND with a busy volunteer schedule (I was music director at my church at that time). I'm glad I did it, wouldn't change a thing, but I have no overwhelming desire to go out and do a full marathon again. So you have to take what I say with a grain of salt, because I do have a bias. ;)

But, I know others that do several marathons a year and love them! If you do decide to go for the full, I'd also recommend hooking up with some kind of training group (formal or informal) if at all possible. It really helps the long runs go faster when you've got a group to talk to, and they can help with training advice and moral support. Good luck!!

kittycat40
10-16-2008, 02:01 PM
THX cool runners. I appreciate the advise.

I'll update with progress as usual ;)

Mrs Snark
10-17-2008, 09:44 AM
Kitty -- how exciting! Someday I'd like to do a full, but I have to admit that every time I've started training for one the really, really long runs suck the joy out of running for me and I started to dread them. So I decided to give myself a couple of years of steady running with the half-mary as my long race distance and then try again.

I can't wait to hear how it goes, I bet you'll do great!

cakses
10-17-2008, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I started a new work schedule and have learned the hard way that I am going to have to schedule in my work outs and not assume I can do them while my kids are in their YMCA classes LOL.

Today is a run day. I have tried intervals and I lose all momentum when I stop running and walk. It's like I have zero endurance. I am going to try again today though and just push through it. We will see how far I get!

kittycat40
10-17-2008, 01:24 PM
HEY JENGUIN and MIDWIFE:

HAVE A GREAT RACE!!! :)

Thanks Jo, I'm going to start training and see which direction (half or whole) I go. Or my knees go, for that matter ;)

Today I did 10 miles and felt pretty good. I set my alarm for 5:45a so I could leave early enough that I could be home to carpool to my 1st grader's school. In my concern for time, I fear I pounded a bit too hard and am looking forward, not, to some shin splints. love motrin. I brought the 3 little guys to preschool a little late so I could have a wonderful hot shower :)
Re: the weekly long runs, they have been anywhere from 7.5 to 12 so I'm going to increase them to a regular 10 plus and see how that goes. One of the reasons I want to schedule a big challenging race is so that I have some accountability in following thru with my scheduled work outs, not allowing myself get distracted.

Happy Friday cool runner chicks!

cakses
10-17-2008, 04:50 PM
Slowed it down a bit and ran 2.8 miles. Would have done 3 but it was set on a program and my time ran out haha. Well at least I know I *can* do it! Will attempt another 2+ miler on Monday. Yay!

nelie
10-17-2008, 07:25 PM
I did my training plan today (2 min walk, 2 min run for 20 minutes). My legs were a bit tired and one of my last run intervals was up a hill. Phew was I tired!! Tomorrow is 28 minutes of 2 min walk/run intervals. How am I going to survive?!

Mrs Snark
10-18-2008, 09:21 AM
Good luck tomorrow Jenguin and Midwife!!!

lene1974
10-21-2008, 09:44 PM
I ran my 3.2 miles Sunday perfect conditions and struggled through the entire flat run. Tonight it was dark, cold and very windy and I ran the 3.2 miles with hills and it was barely an effort. Funny how the body works.

I'm eager to hear how the racers did this past weekend.

jenguin
10-21-2008, 10:39 PM
So I had a great weekend! But fair warning - super long post ahead!

My mom, sister and sister's kids showed up on Saturday afternoon. My sister and kids went to visit a friend and my mom went with me, dh and kids to the marathon expo. The expo wasn't exceptionally huge, but it did have some cool stuff. Of note were the cowbells provided for cheering on runners - we grabbed several for my cheering squad - lol! My kids and mom also made some signs and grabbed a couple more to make at home from the Brooks running booth. Team Prevention was giving out bags that included inflatable slap sticks and we ended up with a couple of those as well. We wandered around to the other booths and checked everything out, picked up my packet and activated my chip. That night my sister and kids were back and my brother and his girlfriend joined us. My mom had offered to make a spaghetti dinner so I took her up on it! We had a good evening chatting and having dinner. Before I went to bed that night I set out all of my clothes, my race number and my timing chip next to the closet upstairs. Downstairs on the counter I set out my Garmin, my FuelBelt (packed with a keychain cross my dad made and a handkerchief that was my grandmother's as well as my energy gels) and a towel to hook onto my FuelBelt.

I woke up Sunday morning feeling pretty good. Amazingly I had gotten a decent night's sleep the night before. I grabbed yogurt, a banana and water for breakfast. I was wandering around a little, making sure I felt hydrated but not over-hydrated and getting ready to, ahem, clean out my system - lol. The plan was for my sister and her kids to meet my family later as she didn't think they'd be up in time for the start. As it turned out, everyone was awake so plans changed and everyone was going to go to the start together. My nephew was getting some breakfast at the breakfast bar counter and handed me my FuelBelt (I guess it was in his way - lol) so I took that and grabbed my bottle of water, towel and cell phone and set it in a different spot. I called my friend who was running the half to figure out what time we should meet and discuss where would be a good parking spot for her. We decided on meeting at 7:30ish by the port-a-johns.

After a couple of pictures and me running up and down the stairs for various reasons and my brief stop at the door where I said "I feel like I'm forgetting something" but we were already behind schedule. We headed out the door and were on our way to downtown Des Moines in a couple of cars. I called my friend and let her know I was a little behind but should be there close to 7:40. We made a slight change to the plans to meet at the baggage check. We get to the parking ramp and my family was really slow getting out of the cars while I impatiently asked "should I just go ahead?" I did end up taking the stairs while they took the elevator and they beat me downstairs anyway - lol! I found my friend and then my dh found us, took our picture and she and I headed off to the start. We moved towards the back, both because we're not super fast runners and we thought it would help us to not go out too fast. As soon as I had a second to think at the start I realized I forgot my Garmin!!!!!!!! I pulled my phone out of my belt and texted dh to tell him. There really wasn't anything he could do as the start was in less than 5 mins but he later told me he did think about trying to go get it for me so I could have my mile splits from mile 12 on as that was where they planned to see me first.

We heard a quartet sing the National Anthem and soon the runners were off! It was a little chilly to start, but it ended up being perfect weather for the marathon (high of around 65 degrees with pretty much no humidity and for the most part not a lot of wind). It took about 4 minutes to get to the start line. I ran with my friend until shortly before the mile 3 marker as that's where the half and full marathon courses split. While running with her we did catch up with the 5:15 hr pace group. I felt pretty good running and just kept going on my own. Miles 3-8 were slightly hilly, but also gorgeous. I had read that they were considered more than "rolling hills" but didn't think they felt too bad. Probably around mile 8 I caught up with the 5 hr pace group. It was just the pacer and a couple of other people. I asked them how close they were to being on pace and they let me know they were slightly ahead. I was excited as my main goal was to finish but my more secret desire was to finish in less than 5 hours. I decided to not get too excited as there were a lot of miles to go! One of the girls said "Join us" so I figured this would be a good way to stay on pace. I ran and chatted with them for awhile and found out the pace leader's name was Tom (which was my dad's name - and as some of you know, he passed away in August). It might be corny, but I took that as a sign my dad was there with me. I ran with the girl who invited me to join for awhile and asked her about her marathon experience (it was her 7th) and talked about getting to run around the Drake track during the course. At about mile 10 I heard someone screaming "Jen!! Go Jen!!" I turned and saw someone I recognized but couldn't place. He was on his cell phone and hollered "They said keep going!!" so I thought I'd figure out who was cheering for me later! We hit the 11 mile marker and I knew it was only about a 1/2 mile before I'd see my family and told the other runner they'd be waiting there. I then turned to look behind me and realized we couldn't see the 5 hr pacer any longer - lol. I rounded the corner into the track and my family was going crazy, screaming and ringing cowbells. It was super cool! I got to the side they were on and handed my jacket off to them. I attached a picture below - hopefully it works!I still felt really good at this point and later everyone told me they couldn't believe I was still smiling at that point! Shortly after the Drake track loop I the other runner was going at a faster pace than I thought I could keep up with so I wished her luck and she went on her way. I hit the 13.1 mile marker, which was one of the spots the chip was tracked and thought of my friend running the half, wondering if she was done. In our training runs she tends to be the faster runner (I found out later I was slightly ahead of her). I hit about mile 14 and saw my older daughter, her dad and his wife. It was super cool they were out there cheering for me! I then saw my family again around mile 15 and high fived the little ones. I attached a picture of that one too but I look a little cross-eyed! I didn't expect to see them that soon so I was really excited! Then at about mile 16 I saw my older daughter, her dad and his wife again. I told dd that I had high fived younger dd so it was her turn - she's a teenager so she rolled her eyes but then obliged. Off to a trail so there wasn't a ton of crowd support but the few people along the way were super supportive. At about mile 18-19 one woman was on a bicycle on a bridge above the trail cheering on runners. I hollered "thank you!" and she said "you're looking good - still smiling at mile [can't remember what mile]". I felt even better hearing that! Around that time I was kind of passing and being passed by a guy from Minneapolis who was cursing the hills and said he'd been hoping for a 4:30 finish. I got to the mile 21 water stop and it was the American Cancer Society water stop so I got a big boost there (I had raised $ in memory of my dad) and lots of cheering, hooting and hollering. Shortly after that, older dd, her dad and his wife were at that spot cheering and dd said "dad wants me to high five you again" - he was trying to document the moment in pictures. I haven't gotten the pics from him yet or I would share. She also told me my family was waiting at mile 23. At this point I was really chasing the 4:45 pacer, but my legs were starting to hurt quite a bit - I think those early hills were hitting me just then. I did a slight walk break but wanted to push to run so got back to running fairly quickly and caught up with two girls who said something that made me laugh and comment - I don't remember what it was though! I ran with and talked to them for a little bit, but ended up having to slow up a couple of times. I got to the 23 mile marker and realized I had to pee! I thought to myself that it's only 3 miles and I can make it that far! Shortly after that I saw my family. Younger dd was trying to take a picture and threw the camera (the digital one that was a gift to me this year!) on the ground! Luckily, she threw it in the grass and it is okay! I also saw my brother's girlfriend's face just bursting with pride (she's been one of my regular running partners lately as she's been trying to up her mileage) and I thought I might start crying. I got through it though and kept going, but slowed down considerably at that point. I ended up doing run/walk intervals, cursing the fact that I hadn't stopped at the last port-a-johns to relieve myself - lol! I also lost sight of the 4:45 pacer at this point. I got to the 25 mile marker and was sooo excited that I only had 1.2 miles left. Shortly after that, I saw an empty line of port-a-johns, looked at my cell phone and realized even if I stopped to pee I was still going to make it under 5 hours clock time. I still can't believe I stopped with only about a mile to go, but I couldn't stand it any longer! I finished my business and got back on the course quickly. Shortly before the 26 mile marker I saw older dd, her dad and his wife again cheering me on. I was excited but knew I needed to slow down until I hit that mile marker as I had promised myself the final .2 miles were for twin girls who were fighting a battle with cancer while my dad was (one of them lost her battle a week before my dad did and the other one is in remission and currently doing well) and I wanted to have it in me to run strong for those .2 miles. My daughter ran up to me and said "Run! You have to run!" I told her it was all part of my plan and got up to the 26 mile marker and started to run as fast as I could, which at that point really wasn't all that fast - lol! As I was running I heard my name from my left and looked and saw my friend who ran the half and her dd, then heard my name from the right and saw my family cheering me on! I felt on top of the world crossing that finish line and can't even explain what an amazing feeling of accomplishment I had! My family broke the rules and crossed through a little past the chute after I'd had my chip removed and received my medal to hug and congratulate me. My mom saw me and cried while hugging me. The same day would have been my parents' 40th wedding anniversary so it was a very emotional day for her all around, but she was so proud of me. It was very cool. My clock time was 4:58:17 and my chip time was 4:54:27, which worked out to about an 11:15 pace.

After talking to some people at the finish line I dragged my family over the ACS tent and they were very generous, letting the kids have cookies, snacks and drinks. There was also a massage therapist there so I took advantage of that and let her work on my legs. I'm also attaching a picture of me after the massage, which is probably within a half hour of having run the marathon. I think I look pretty good for having just gone 26.2 miles - what do you guys think? :carrot:

Ok, so if you made it this far, thanks for reading! If you have ever considered running a marathon I want to tell you that all the hard training miles were so worth it, and some of those training miles were very, very hard! But the ice bath after the marathon was ridiculously painful and cold - lol! I do think that helped me though. I work on the 7th floor and took the stairs this morning (although I did take the day off yesterday, but walked to the park and the grocery store with my 3-year-old). I feel a little sore today but have felt worse from a good weight lifting session. I'm so excited that I accomplished this goal!

lene1974
10-21-2008, 10:55 PM
Oh Jen, what a great story! I love that you took the time to give us the details. Under 5 hours is ridiculous and you look amazing after running 26.2 miles! I'm so sorry about your Dad but it sounds like he was with you all along your journey. Congratulations!:hug:

kittycat40
10-21-2008, 11:04 PM
Jenguin-
I'm smiling as wide as you are in that last picture. Wow, so great. I can't even say which part was most wonderful... just all of it. Fabulous!!
Kitty

JulieJ08
10-22-2008, 12:17 AM
Jenguin, thanks for posting the blow-by-blow. It is inspiring!

MBN
10-22-2008, 08:26 AM
Thanks so much for posting your race report. You clocked an AWESOME time !!!! Wear that medal with pride!

midwife
10-22-2008, 08:46 AM
Congrats, Jen!! I enjoyed reading your story. What a great time you had for your marathon!

My half marathon was Sunday as well.

I worked at a booth on Saturday at our marathon registration to raise $$ for my dd's cross country team, so I was pretty busy and didn't have time to get too nervous. Most of my family had other obligations Sunday morning but my dd (whose team worked the finish line), my running partner and my sister in law drove down together Sunday morning. I must've peed 4 times in the hour before my race started and then when we were lining up, I felt like I needed to pee again.

My running partner ran the full marathon and that started before my race so my sister in law and I lined up for the half. She is a lot faster than I am so she took off and I just kind of hit my pace. I felt really good and at mile 1 I was at 10:36. It made me a little nervous cause I wasn't sure I could maintain that pace.

I never did practice drinking on my training runs which was foolish. I tried some water at mile 3 and almost puked, cause I didn't walk while I drank. So I just kept on keeping on. At mile 9 my time was 93 minutes, so I was keeping my pace pretty well. I did stop and walk a few steps a mile 10 to drink a couple of ounces of gatorade. I kept thinking---3 more miles, such an easy run. The last mile seemed so long though. I thought briefly I would hit 2:15, but when that thought crossed my mind I still had the 3 miles to go and I would have had to run them in 25 minutes, which would have been world record pace for me! So I just kept to my pace and came in at 2:19, which means I ran my last 3 miles in 29 minutes (and that is my fastest 5K time ever anyway). My avg mile time was about 10:30 which for me is really good. My daughter and her friends were working at the finish line so that was fun to have them cheer for me at the end. Even her coach cheered for me, so that was kind of fun.

Then I foolishly worked the night of my race and only slept about 2 hours between Sunday morning and Monday night.

So next time: I need to practice drinking while I run so it doesn't trigger my gag reflex and I am NOT working the night of any race over 10 miles ever again. Nope, not me.

Next year I want to do a marathon. It seems....survivable.

Congrats again, Jen!!

kittycat40
10-22-2008, 11:54 AM
Midwife, thx for the update.... been waitin on it!!
and you came away thinking about a full... super cool :)
Congrats to you on an awesome race!!

Mrs Snark
10-22-2008, 12:34 PM
Jen -- Fantastic report! Thanks so much for sharing, you make it all sound like so much fun! You should be so proud of yourself. All the miles you ran in training paid off and you had a wonderful race, CONGRATULATIONS!! And you LOOK fantastic!! I look worse after 5 milers!

Midwife -- Great job!!! What a fabulous pace and to have your fastest 5k ever right at the end -- INCREDIBLE! Way to go! CONGRATULATIONS! It will definitely be a good idea to practice drinking if you're going to tackle a full now!

Thanks for sharing your race reports, you two! They were both so INSPIRING!! If I hadn't already done my morning run I would suit up right now and go bang one out! I'll be thinking of you both on my next one, that's for sure!

lene1974
10-22-2008, 02:57 PM
Midwife~great job on the 1/2! Doing your best 5K time at the end is fantastic! I love that you guys gave us all the details. I'm always wondering what others are thinking about or going through during these long runs. (besides "am I almost there yet")
Congratulations!!!!

MBN
10-22-2008, 04:58 PM
So next time: I need to practice drinking while I run so it doesn't trigger my gag reflex and I am NOT working the night of any race over 10 miles ever again. Nope, not me.

You may be more coordinated than I am, but I have never been successful at drinking while running!! My few attempts really weren't pretty. I STILL have to walk to get a drink. But in the longer races, it's a welcome break anyway.

GREAT time and a great race report!! Thanks for sharing, and CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Pink Geranium
10-22-2008, 06:26 PM
Congratulations, ladies, on the long-distance runs. I am in awe of both of you. And it sounds so nice to have your friends and family supporting you! I found all the detail interesting. And of good future use. Thanks for taking the time.

On the drinking water thing, I have to say I can run and drink water. (I did not know this skill was in demand!) But I almost never drink as I hate the sloshy feeling and since I run only short distances, I don't have time to get thirsty. I do throw the water on me if it's a hot day. Refreshing. Life-saving.

I ran 6.9 miles this AM. Miserable experience. My asthma is troubling me these days and they had just mowed the grass at the park, so...uggh. On the brighter side, last week I ran the same 5.6 mile loop at a different park 2x in opposite directions. The first time, I got lost (I did have a map) and ended up out of the park, but at least I knew I was lost and there was only one other way to go, so...I knew I should have taken the hint when those ladies in front of me went the other way. Add 4/10 of a mile to the run.

The next time you would think I'd know where I was going, but I made a turn into someone's driveway (it was kind of long, seemed like it should be the turnoff I was looking for). But I realized I was going wrong when I saw the house and realized I did not remember a house from the other day. That was only about 1/10 mile, hardly noticed it. I still had the same map with me, so I'm blaming the map. Sigh...I continue to perform true to form, it's comforting to know I'm so consistent!

Well, anything extra won't hurt me. I am doing a 5K in this same park this weekend. Luckily others will be in front of me to keep me out of trouble.

Haley8203
10-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Jen and Midwife-i read your posts right before my jog today and i was so inspired i went 3 miles which is 1 mile more than i usually can muster the energy to do, THANKS!

JulieJ08
10-22-2008, 07:59 PM
Is it about the cups or something? Because I always drink while I run.

collegegirl09
10-23-2008, 12:01 AM
Hi...I'm new here, but I'm getting ready to sign up for my first 5K, and I need some advice. It's a women's only run/walk 5K, scheduled two weeks from Saturday. My questions are:

How can I best prepare for a 5K? (besides daily jogging)
What are some tips for the actual 5K?
And...I'm not used to running outside in the cold. What clothes are good?

MBN
10-23-2008, 07:03 AM
Hi Collegegirl09,
Your first 5K is only two weeks away, so there's not enough time to build extra speed or endurance over what you've already achieved. But I can offer a few suggestions which hopefully will make your first 5K an enjoyable experience!

-- I would just keep training as you have been, but go easy a day or two before the race. You want your legs to be fresh going into race day.
-- Lay out everything you need the night before the race - clothing, race number (if you have it), etc. That will avoid any last minute scramble to find something!
-- Don't eat anything unusual the day before and the morning of the race. Stick to what you know works well for you.
-- Try to arrive at the race a little early, to allow plenty of time for parking, picking up your packet, last minute potty stop, etc.
-- follow instructions on securing your race number and timing chip. Someone will be there to assist if you have questions.

During the 5K
-- Pick a spot in the starting line up that you feel corresponds to your expected race pace. Please do NOT go to the front, unless you are very speedy!! (You will get run over!!) If you run 8-11 minute per mile pace, then somewhere in the middle is good. If you are slower, then line up more toward the back. Walkers should go to the back.
-- Don't start out TOO fast! It's very easy to get caught up in the race fever and go out way faster than you've trained. Try to keep to your training pace, or just a little faster, or you risk crashing and burning before the end. Race-pacing is definitely a learned skill.
-- Enjoy it! It is your first 5K so it is an automatic personal record! Just being out there and finishing the race is a tremendous accomplishment and you should be proud of yourself!

Living in Florida, I don't have a lot of opportunity to run in cold weather. I would suggest getting good quality, wicking technical-fabric clothing that you can layer and adjust to the conditions. Things like tights or long running pants, long sleeve shirts, jacket / vest, a hat and gloves. But others can advise you better than I can ....

Good luck on your race and let us know how it goes!!

MBN
10-23-2008, 07:10 AM
Is it about the cups or something? Because I always drink while I run.

No, I just think it's my general lack of coordination -- trying to run, breathe, AND drink at the same time ... :D

JulieJ08
10-23-2008, 11:19 AM
No, I just think it's my general lack of coordination -- trying to run, breathe, AND drink at the same time ... :D

LOL. OK :)

nelie
10-23-2008, 11:27 AM
collegegirl - have you been running outside already or is all your work on a treadmill? If you have been doing treadmill only, I would say switch to outside runs. As for clothing, wear layers. Get a hat, ear warmers, gloves, thin long sleeve shirt and a light jacket.

I ran this morning and it was around 30 degrees. I wore a pair of compression shorts, a pair of pants, my sports bra (which is thick), a thicker outer layer shirt, sunglasses and a hat. I should've probably wore some gloves but I just made a fist while running. I'm still experimenting a little with what to wear myself.

Pink Geranium
10-23-2008, 01:35 PM
Someone told me that for running in colder weather to dress as if it were 20 degrees warmer. I've tried this idea and it works, although it's chilly starting out. I usually put on a bit more and shed the layers. But in a race this is probably not possible, so I guess you'd just start out a bit chilled? (I will find out on Saturday, I plan to do a 5K and it's the first one since it's gotten a bit cooler...) And then, when you finish, have more layers to put on to counteract the cooldown, or you'll be shivering.

My hands are always cold so I wear gloves. I got some thin ones that dry quickly and they work well alone or I think I could put them under fleece ones later in the winter. I can see I'll need a hat soon too. But not yet.

Dianeofnka
10-23-2008, 03:40 PM
I've found that if I drink a pint of Cytomax before I run, I have to drink while running much, much less frequently. So if drinking while running is a problem, check that out.

kittycat40
10-25-2008, 11:28 PM
I've found that if I drink a pint of Cytomax before I run, I have to drink while running much, much less frequently. So if drinking while running is a problem, check that out.

that sounds interesting... thx!

lene1974
10-26-2008, 10:17 PM
I ran 7.3 miles tonight and then walked another 1.2 miles. I really think the first 2 miles always seem the hardest. I hope everyone had lovely runs this weekend.

Primm
10-27-2008, 08:02 AM
I did my first 5K! Ok, I had some walk breaks. And my time was slow - about 41 minutes. Read on to find out why...

Some friends invited me to do the 5K section of a 10K race as part of a local festival on Sunday morning. I was due to do day 3 of week 5 of C25K (run 20 min continuously), so I figured, why not? Entry fee was $5 which included breakfast!

So we started with the race instructions (turns out the organiser was the fiance of a girl I work with!) and he was telling the 10K runners that at the 3K mark there was a hill that was a bit steeper than it looked. I was kind of tuned out, and thinking "I'm glad I'm just running along the river then turning around and coming back - no hills for me!"

So there I am, running along and minding my own business. And I thought to myself "this hill really is as bad as he said". Then I thought again, but this time it was "if Daniel said the hill was at 3K, and I'm doing a total of 5K, and I'm supposed to turn around at the halfway mark..." :doh:

Yep, it doesn't take a mathematical genius to realise that if half of 5 is 2.5 and I was running up the 3K hill, I'd missed the turn! So I turned around to see a guy in a car waving at me.

Apparently I did an extra 750m. So that makes my run 6.5 K instead of 5. Which doesn't make my 41 minutes look quite so shabby!

I was pretty embarrassed, but the organisers were laughing about it. Dan promised not to charge me extra for running further than I was supposed to! :o

Cheers chickies.

MBN
10-27-2008, 08:40 AM
I ran my first 5K of our running “season” on Saturday – the “Spooktacular 5K” at a nearby park. We had been experiencing a period of pleasant fall weather with cooler temps and lower humidity – but last weekend turned oppressively hot and humid as summer refused to let go. The pre-dawn temperature was 79 with about 100% humidity!

Despite the warm weather, quite a few turned out in costume, as we listened to the “Monster Mash” and “Ghostbusters” theme and prepared for the run. We were given glow bracelets, which were welcome as it was still dark when we lined up for the start! A cute little girl sang the national anthem a capella -- she changed key about 12 times during the song, but she was adorable and got a big round of applause. :D

I had NO idea how I would do, since my last 5K was in April, and I’ve been running slower in the summer because of training for distance and because of training in the heat. I took off strong, but the heat quickly took its toll and I had to slow down a bit after the first mile. Still, I kept it going, and really kicked it during the last .1 mile and finished in a very respectable 26:34 (8:34 min/mile pace). Not my fastest ever, but not that far off either. Considering the heat/humidity factor, I was quite pleased.

Until … I looked at the score board and found I missed 3rd place in my age group by THREE SECONDS!!! And the second place finisher was only 5 seconds faster than that! Had I run 9 seconds faster, I would have been second in my age group. They gave out age group awards only to the top 3, and the trophies were really cute. <pout> Oh well.
On the other hand, just a few short years ago, just FINISHING a 5K was a major accomplishment. I was happy to just not be last, and now I am within seconds of making the top 3 in my age group?? Unbelievable, really. I’m happy!! Plus, I got a banana, a t-shirt, a jack-o-lantern necklace and a glow-in-the-dark bracelet! :cb:

Happy running everyone ....

jenguin
10-27-2008, 11:33 PM
MBN - I love hearing that about your 5K times. It means there is hope for me to get faster - lol!

Primm - Don't feel too bad about going a little extra. I did a December 8-mile trail race with dd once that we did so slow (because she was so cold she couldn't run - gotta love midwest winters) the water stop at the halfway mark had been taken down!! We ended up going out further than the 4 miles, but not by too far, before we turned around. By the time we got all the way back they'd taken down most of the food and the time clock and everything. Someday I'd like to do that race again just to see how I actually do, but that's one I definitely don't want to do with her!

Lene - I tend to agree that the first 2 miles are usually the hardest. I love when I tell non-runners that and they say that's what would be hardest for them because they'd keel over before they got that far!

Collegegirl - I can't give you any better advice than what was already given re: the weather, so good luck!

Julie - For me, drinking is much harder from the cups at races, but I still slow down if I have a water bottle or something on me during training.

I got back out and did 2 miles today. I have a cross country race the weekend before Thanksgiving so that should keep me on track for a few more weeks.

tinamae
10-28-2008, 07:33 AM
W5D2 of C25K. I made it! It wasn't as bad as I thought. I slowed down my running pace to about 4.6 mph. and it seemed to help. I was more worried about finishing than going fast. It feels good to accomplish something. Reading everyones times and rece reports have been a great motivator. Keep up the great work guys.

nelie
10-28-2008, 10:27 AM
I did Saturday's run last night as I wasn't feeling good on Saturday. I was amazed that I could do it. It was 35 minutes of 2 minute run/walk intervals.

southofriver
10-28-2008, 06:53 PM
Great to read everybody's race reports. I ran my 10 mile race last Sunday (19 Oct - I think). My time was 1hr 34. I had sort of hoped for better, but those are nine and a half minute miles so not too bad. For the first 5 miles I ran with my Mum. The course - Twickenham Cabbage Patch run - went down one side of the river Thames and up the other. It was all very flat apart from one small hill near the end which was like a bad joke when I saw the marshalls waving us up it!

The weather for the race was cold and it threatened rain, but in the end it stayed dry. It was great to run along listening to my headphones. As I got up to mile 7, I thought that I really ought to push the pace, but frustratingly I just couldn't make myself do it - a failure of mind over matter.

My Mum finished about 10 or 15 mins after me, having had to stop for a while as she had hurt her knee. My little brother did the race in 1hr 10 - even though it was his first race of any sort and he'd had to run an extra 2 miles to reach the start line, having got lost on the way. I guess it's different for boys.

I enjoyed the race and hope next time will be quicker! I'd like to sign up for a half marathon next. Meanwhile I have a 10k next weekend. Does anyone have tips for working out a sensible - but challenging - target time? I usually run nine minutes miles on the way to work, which is five miles, but am not very tired at the end (just extremely sweaty).

Good luck to all.

jenguin
10-28-2008, 10:14 PM
Great job everyone on keeping up the running and racing.

Tinamae - I think C25K is a great program. Slowing down will definitely help build your endurance so you can go farther. Eventually you'll be able to speed up again when you are going farther!

Nelie - Way to keep up with the program despite the not feeling well obstacle.

southofriver - glad to hear your race went well. a 9-1/2 minute pace is pretty good if you ask me! Great job!

JulieJ08
10-28-2008, 11:06 PM
So, a question if I may ... I finished the C25K program a couple weeks ago. I was timing myself instead of counting distance. I'm a slow runner, so by the time I got through the 9 weeks, I was running 30 minutes, but not 3 miles! Probably about 2.25, plus walking a little over .5 miles between warmup and cooldown.

The last two weeks I've run about 2.5 miles M-W-F. I have a knee that complains a bit at the end of my runs, so I try to increase slowly. So far so good with that.

I'd like to start running Sunday morning too (4 days a week). But even if I just take a 2 mile run on Sunday, that's more than the limit of 10% increase in weekly mileage recommended on coolrunning.com. But it would seem weird to run shorter than that.

Does it seem like too much to add that Sunday 2 mile run? Should I just stick to the M-W-F for longer. I'm adding another 1/4 mile every couple weeks, so 2.5 miles a day this week (7.5 weekly), 2.75 miles a day next couple weeks (8.25 weekly). That does come out to close to the 10% limit.

Maybe I'm answering my own question here. But I was kinda wanting to run 4 days instead of 3. Just seems right. But I don't want to overdo it either.

Thanks!

Primm
10-29-2008, 12:07 AM
Julie, I posted this very same question on another running forum I'm on (about adding a 4th day, but keeping within the 10% increase limit). Here's the answer I received:

I would say for the begginers and specificaly to last question :

add the day 4, but run all other days a bit slower and day 4 real slow - recovery jog.

By going slower You will cover less distance so You are not likely to kill the 10% rule.

Aim for 3x50 minutes and 1x75-90 minutes

as You get use to it and feel fresh etc Your pace will start picking up,
so covering more and more distance inside the 10% rule
but still keep at least 1 of the days real slow recovery jog.

And another one:

lets say Primm runs 5k, 5k, 8k in a week = 18k
10%=1.8k. lets call it 2k
increase to 20k.
maybe 4x5k OR 2x5k + 10k

I would probably do 2x5k + 10k
but the next week maybe 3x7k
then the next week 4x6k
then maybe 5x5k

mix it up a bit don't get too stuck into a routine.

So basically add the extra day, but cut back the mileage on your other days for a bit to keep within the 10% rule. They all seemed to agree that the 10% rule is pretty much set in concrete though, or you are at serious risk of injury. Hope this helps!

JulieJ08
10-29-2008, 12:15 AM
Thanks Primm. I just can't see cutting back on my usual runs, since they're only 2.5 miles, and I only just now worked up to that. Those would be some pretty darn short runs. But it helps to know I should really stick to the 10% rule. So I guess I'll keep gradually increasing the 2.5 miles to 3. I just feel like I need another day out on the road :dizzy:. Thanks again.

Lyria
10-29-2008, 02:47 AM
Hello!

Found my way to this thread and wondered if anyone minded me joining on in?

I've been running for a little while so will throw the hand up and own up to being an addict :)

I try and run about 4-6 days a week with one long run on a Saturday morning and several smaller runs (about 8-10kms or 5 - 6 miles) through the weekdays.

I ran a personal best Saturday just gone :) I managed 30kms (about 19 miles I think) which took around 2 hours 45 mins and boy...did my backside feel it lol.

The next challenge is the 8th of November - I have entered an actual race which is over 26kms (just over 16 miles) and around three peaks (Mt Ainslie, Mt Majura and Mt Pleasant). I never thought I would enjoy the prospect of running around a mountain but I ran one back in July and loved it! Although that one was a little shorter - 16kms.

Anyway! Just thought I would pop in and say hello and join in the running conversation :)

MBN
10-29-2008, 07:55 AM
Meanwhile I have a 10k next weekend. Does anyone have tips for working out a sensible - but challenging - target time? I usually run nine minutes miles on the way to work, which is five miles, but am not very tired at the end (just extremely sweaty).

It's hard to pick a target time, so much depends on the day -- the weather, the course, how you feel, etc. But considering that you just ran a 10 miler at 9.5 min/mile (which is GREAT btw), and your normal 5 mile daily run is 9 minute miles, I would guess that you could run 9 minute miles for 6.2 miles. That is a finish time of just under 56 minutes. My suggestion is to go out at your regular 9 min/mile pace and pick it up in the last couple of miles if you can. (negative splits). But, please don't be too fixed on a particular time, it's lots more important to go out and have fun and burn lots of calories!! :D

9:15 min/mile 10K = 57:29 min
9:00 min/mile 10K = 55:55 min
8:45 min/mile 10K = 54:22 min

nelie
10-29-2008, 09:45 PM
I think I may see myself actually running nonstop one day! Today for our running class we did 3 min run/1 min walk. Uhh it wasn't bad at all. Part of the run I felt was as easy as walking. Granted I am SLOWWW! Still though, did 25 mins of run/walks 5 intervals of 3/1 and a little warmup walk with cooldown walk.

Mrs Snark
10-30-2008, 08:46 AM
Welcome Lyria! Your upcoming race sounds fantastic and challenging! Congratulations on your personal best this past Saturday, whoo hoo!

Lyria
10-30-2008, 08:16 PM
Thank Tyler :)

Yes, I'm quite nervous...its one thing to run on mostly flat surfaces for that distance but another entirely when it's up and down and around mountains (or in Canberra's case...large hills!).

I'll be having a weekend off from long runs this Sat since I don't want to still be recovering when the 8th rolls around. Went for a 5 mile run this morning in my new shoes - faster time and NO PAIN!

Bought new running shoes yesterday as the pair I bought about 2-3 months ago have been giving me HUGE blisters and keeping me in agony. We're talking blisters no joke 5-6cms long and 3cms at the widest on my instep. It really hampered things as I'd be able to do one run and then have to wait 2 or 3 days to let the blisters go down. My partner actually had to forbid me to run because he was worried I'd really damage my feet. (He was right...but argh it was so frustrating). Anyway, these new ones are just the best - you don't even know they're there.

I've been raving about my new shoes a lot...it's probably kind of strange but I just cannot get over the feeling of running with NO pain anymore lol.

tinamae
10-30-2008, 09:06 PM
I completed W5D3 of C25K! :dance: I had been running based on time but this morning I mad up my mind to do two miles no matter how long it took. It ended up being about 25 minutes to finish the two miles.

I hope everyone keeps posting their race reports. It is great to see how everybody is doing. And it is great motivation for the rest of us.

Haley8203
10-30-2008, 09:43 PM
i jogged 4 miles for the first time yesterday.....im hoping to do it again tomorrow :)

MBN
10-31-2008, 07:33 AM
Thank Tyler :)
I've been raving about my new shoes a lot...it's probably kind of strange but I just cannot get over the feeling of running with NO pain anymore lol.

Lyria, shoes are a HUGE factor. I usually have one particular brand/model that I use. I tried buying a different model from the same brand that was higher priced and theoretically better, but found the toe area was shaped differently and didn't work for me -- OK for short runs, but not for the long runs, very uncomfortable. I even ended up losing a toenail from those shoes because it bruised the nail bed on one toe (TMI, I'm sure!) I went back to the tried and true model and no problems after that. So once you find something that works, just stay with it!!

JulieJ08
10-31-2008, 01:20 PM
Got rained on today, just a little :). The rain was nice, the humidity not so much, but all in all an average run. I've run 2.5 miles these past two weeks. Next couple weeks I'm gonna do 2.75. I'm gonna do 5K by Thanksgiving ;).