Weight and Resistance Training - October!

View Full Version : October!

Mel
10-01-2008, 08:34 AM
Yikes! It's October. The sky is dark and wet leaves are falling this morning :yikes:

I'm going to try and keep track of how much weight I lift during a typical week. I log what I eat, so this will be just a variation of the same game. I haven't quite thought out the "rules". Cables pose a bit of a problem as do body weight exercises. Maybe I'll just count free weights.

I think I'll pass on jumping out the window and waiting to be missed :rofl: It would be pretty depressing to NOT be missed and have my paycheck stop!

Mel

tikanique
10-01-2008, 08:56 AM
oh man Mel, of course you would be missed :-) who else would lift the heavy boxes and bags? :joker:

My son's 7AM practices are KILLING my routine. I squeezed in TaeBo last night and a bike ride this morning, but I'm missing the gym - especially since I'm PAYING for it. I even considered getting up at 330 AM so I could get to the gym by 4 in order to be back home by 530 but that would be super :dizzy:

Oh well, two more days, then life goes back to normal.

Food is still clean which is amazing in itself. I always swore that I could only eat clean if I was also working out steadily. I've proven myself a liar, which is a good thing. ;)

How's everyone else's October starting out?

nelie
10-01-2008, 10:17 AM
Oh my god, its October?! Tonight is day 1 of my running program. Although there are showers predicted so... hopefully they won't cancel. If they do, they'll at least hand us our running plan, I think. I did NRLW 1-5B this morning. It was funny, I had 70 lbs on the barbell and told myself I couldn't do deadlifts with that much weight then I told myself that it wouldn't feel heavy once I started and I was right. I should've even upped the weight but next time. Just a lack of confidence this morning.

PhotoChick
10-01-2008, 11:57 AM
Oh Mel - I'm interested to see how you log. I am noting what I do in my blog every day (part of my accountability for October) ... but I have a hard time quantifying my lifting workouts.

sportmom
10-01-2008, 12:45 PM
nelie, I do 60 on dumbbells (total) and I'm not the kettlebell queen you are, so I'm sure you can go higher! Just be careful as that is one moved I slightly pulled my back over and was pretty uncomfy for 2 days. That has kinda scared me from going above 60 bc I was on 35's each when it happened. I'm sure it was more of a form issue, but who wants to repeat history on their back?

Yes, glorious OCtober is here! Soon the sticky faces will be at your door demanding candy! Boo hiss, I've bought PENCILS this year! No reason at'all for DH to start bringing in a bag here or there during the month. :devil:

Working out and eating are both going great. Planning to make the same post on 10/31 and 11/1 too!

Tomato
10-01-2008, 02:16 PM
What exactly are planning to log, Mel? You said free weights - so if you do 20 biceps curls with 10 lb dumbbell in each hand (just an example) you would log
20x10x2 ?

Lydia227
10-01-2008, 05:12 PM
Mel: WHAT!? You don't have a little leather bound lifting book that has recorded every session for the last six years?! Your kidding right? I do. Well, mine goes back four years. Honestly, it's a habit I developed from the very beginning. When I first began, the pt had organized the exercises, weight, reps and date on a sheet of paper for me. I used that as a template for my own book. When I was really new to lifting having all this information handy helped me keep my head together once I entered the free weights area. Now I have it sectioned off and bookmarked with different workouts and by body part. It's also a place to record questions that pop into my head during my cardio sessions. Course there are some days when it's just one more thing to carry...

Today's workout was 50 minutes of cardio on the elliptical and thirty minutes of core and stretching. While I missed doing legs a little bit it was nice to get in some new core exercises with the ball.

Nelie: Good luck with your running program this evening. How very exciting. Are you running outside? It's really cool outside here. A great afternoon for a run :goodvibes:

Fran: Glad to know that you are having great success with the food and workout. My workouts are fine but some things are starting to trip me in the food area. Just a few "treats" that have become habits that need to be snipped in the bud. I'm not gaining but it's enough to prevent me from losing. It's either me or the pretzels. Grrrrrr. Maybe if I bought the really yucky kind it would help. The kids will still eat the yucky ones in their lunches. ~sigh~ I just need to clean things up. I really want to head into the fall and winter about five pounds under my current weight. A little wiggle room so I don't end up frustrated and working my tail off all over again this spring. Overall though I have to say that I'm pretty satisfied with my level of fitness at this point. It's so nice to be able to move with strength and well if I had any, grace. :rofl:

Enjoy the evening.

WaterRat
10-01-2008, 06:12 PM
Grace - now we have to have grace, too??!! :rofl: Lydia, you crack me up. I swear I'm the klutziest person on the planet. Can't dance worth anything, I've fallen off treadmills, yada yada.

I too would like to have a little more wiggle room. I know I need to do more cardio. If I could just get some of the midsection to shift or better yet GO, then I could wear my next sized smaller pants.... I'm wearing the smaller of the 2 sizes of pants in my closet today, and still the legs are baggy. I was a pear all my life, and this shift to apple bothers me. Swimming is helping though and I'm really enjoying it even though - again - I feel like a klutz trying to correct all my bad habits. The classes really are a workout though. I have one tonight, and then I'll miss three while I'm away. BOth places I'm staying have pools though, so I can practice. And treadmills (as least, they "claim" fitness rooms).

Nice sunny day with a bright blue sky here. Too bad it's only 43! :lol: Lots of that white stuff on the mountain tops, and frost every morning this week.

Mel
10-01-2008, 08:43 PM
nelie- I hope you aren't having the same weather we are.... Your run will be more of a puddle jump.

Lydia- I quit writing down my workouts about 3 years ago when I started working out every afternoon with most of the other trainers. I just never started again. And some of my exercises are so goofy, that the writing part would take longer than the workout. Remember, I'm not trying to progress on anything and I've been doing this for a REALLY long time. I've hit the point on most of my lifts where age, joint stability, and weight hoisted have converged to "maintenance" rather that moving more metal. In some cases, I've lightened up, but compensated by making the overall exercise harder: those one legged bosu tricks. Or balancing on my knees on a stability ball while doing lat pull downs.

So for what I did lift today:
Shoulder day(not done in this order, but a 4 set circuit):
Dumbbell presses: 20(40) X 10 = 400
25(50) X 10 = 500
30(60) X 10 = 600
Military BB press: 45 X 10 = 450
55 X 10 = 550
65 X 8 = uh, 520
Front raises: 35 X 10 = 350
15(30) X10 = 300
17.5(35) X 10 350
cables?
Side raises 4X 15(30) X10 1200
cables?
rear delts 15(30) X 10 = 300
17.5(35)X10 = 350
20 (40) X 10 = 400
cables? ______
6270 :faint:

This is more typing than it was worth! Sure would be easier if I could import an excel spreadsheet into here :)

Eating fell apart.

Mel

edit: and formatting is impossible!

sportmom
10-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Oww - my bootocks HURT! (note cheesy october/halloween reference. actually, it's what my kids call them) I don't know what I did. Maybe it was those bent legged deadlifts followed by the incline on the treadmill. I feel like i have drill bits in my lower booty - they're on both sides at least, so i don't have a pulled glute or anything ;)

Lydia227
10-01-2008, 09:37 PM
Wow Mel, am I reading this right? You are using 15 pound db's for your side raises. That's impressive. When I try to go higher than 10 pounds the anterior part of my shoulder joint really aches so I've just never progressed. And lat pull downs while kneeling on a ball. See Pat...now that takes grace. That's what I'm talking about. Wow, Mel, that is a lot of volume. Nice workout.

Pat: It's nice that you are wearing the smaller pant in your closet though isn't? As a fellow pear I don't think a shift to an apple is something I would acclimate too as well. Unless of course it came with the other promises of being an apple and that means awesome legs. In my case very doubtful. But back to the apple thing. I am so very used to my midsection being the smaller part of my body that when I do wear something tight across that area it really drives me buggy. I purchased a camisole top made with enough lycra in it to be used as a tourniquet. If feels fine on top :rolleyes: but around my tummy it's clingy and really bothers me even though it "looks" fine.

nelie
10-01-2008, 10:16 PM
It was sprinkling a little during the running class but it was awesome! I had a lot of fun being with other people. It was actually a pretty big group and I was actually near the front of the pack. The plan is 4 runs/week with one of the runs being with the class.

Tomato
10-02-2008, 11:46 AM
Mel - looking at your (very impressive) results methinks you should save yourself all the typing and just post the monthly tally in TONS at the end of each month.
:strong:

WaterRat
10-02-2008, 04:15 PM
I am so very used to my midsection being the smaller part of my body

Yup Lydia - that was me most of my life. I can remember always having to wear a belt or taking tucks in my waistbands. This latest "relapse" has completely changed where I carry my extra weight - weird. Must be a menopausal thing.... I'm thinking that the swimming is helping though, enough so I can now wear the smaller size. :)

I'm off in a couple hours for 5 days in Oregon, followed by 4 days at a Public Library Directors' meeting at a ski resort (but no snow yet) about 2.5 hours drive south of here. I'll be back to work on the 13th. I'll have my laptop as I have a lot of budget stuff to get done while I'm gone - boo! But both hotels have fitness rooms and pools....

tikanique
10-03-2008, 01:00 PM
I have a new exercise that is sure to challenge EVERYONE! Attempt to do a high intensity Tae Bo workout while helping a 14 year old answer study questions for an Economics test! Works your body (exercise) works your lungs (trying to find breath to answer) Works your coordination (trying to stay on count with Billy and yet also remember the difference between free market economies and command economies) works your mind (trying to remember school stuff that I probably forgot the minute the ink dried on my high school economics grade.)

Mel
10-04-2008, 11:00 AM
OK, after only two days (one which I didn't type) I've given up keeping track of pounds lifted. I did a weird leg workout this morning with very few conventional lifts. I'm jelly-legged, but on paper it wouldn't look very impressive or even possible to describe.

Tiki- I've given up trying to help much in the homework arena. Despite 4 years of undergrad, and 3 years of grad school, last year my son asked "mom...did you actually take pre-calc in high school?" :rofl: I'm really good a correcting his grammar in essays, but that's about all.

Off to clean, grocery shop, mow the lawn and other fun weekend activities!

Mel

elisa822
10-04-2008, 12:51 PM
I can't believe it's October...and quite chilly out!

I've had a busy week or so but I've been able to at least pop in and try to keep up. I have to try to remember to try to check in here, even if I don't have time to post, especially when I'm struggling or having a busy week. It's such a great pick me up! Sometimes I think I like to punish myself when I'm "not doing well" and so I don't check out the site. Then I feel guilty if I don't have enough time to read/respond to everyone all the time...so I don't post. I think I need some therapy! :dizzy:

For a variety of reasons, I got in a total of one workout this week. So not good but better than zero. And...family stuff meant tons of eating. I'm just doing my best to try not to totally lose control.

And hey...all this apple/pear talk has made me wonder - is everyone one or the other? What's the other options? I think I carry my weight someone evenly but the worst parts are definitely around the middle, i.e. stomach/hips/upper thighs. I know I'm not a pear because I'm much bigger on top than on the bottom. Hmmm...what am I? :?: I think it will stay a mystery because I'm not posting any pictures. ;)

And I have never tucked in a top...I feel like I'm all hips and chest when I do that. Very not pretty.

tiki - loved your "full body" workout!:rofl:

Mel - I love reading your workouts but yes, it looks like way too much work to try to track all that every day.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

:D

Tomato
10-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Ladies, you know squat about weight lifting!
[of course, that was said tongue in cheek]

I was surfing last night and I came across the video clip about Gwyneth Paltrow's workouts. She works out with a trainer, Tracy Anderson, and the said trainer claims (you better sit down for this) that no woman should lift more than 3 lbs. :D:D:D Unfortunately, she did not provide any explanation why.

Here is the clicky for Gwyneth's workout (http://www.oprah.com/media/20080828_tows_workout).

I like the band system - that looks quite useful. It would be nice to have such a nice private gym. :-)

sportmom
10-04-2008, 03:56 PM
:lol: :rofl: :lol3:

Oh gosh! That clip just KILLS me! OK, first off, said celebrity trainer who said don't lift more than 3 lbs also says she trains Madonna. WHAT? Ok, already I sense someone who is a little crazy or has no memory, as M most definitely lifts more than 3 lbs! Or (shock!) do you think M looks like that only lifting 3 lb'ers? Maybe we're all missing something!!

Gwyneth whining about floor work/leg lifts. Gee, ya think if you did some squats with free weights, maybe you could get off your knees and not have to do so many reps?? Heck, forget the dumbbells, just use your OWN body weight for the squats. Duh Whatever she's paying this woman, it's too much!

I suspect Gwyneth hates cardio bc of her black lungs. The self-admitted smoker shouldn't be held up as a model of fitness for anyone. Next they'll interview SJP for her body slimming secrets.

Lydia227
10-04-2008, 05:25 PM
Nice day out there isn't it! Great for mowing the lawn right Mel?

I was at the opening of the gym this morning at 7:00am, quite unusual for a Saturday. I had exactly one hour to get in some sort of a workout. The rest of the day was dedicated to my son and his cub scout troop. Keeping in mind that we would be hiking at one of the glacier parks I kept my cardio to a 20 minute run and then did a functional chest and back workout. Pullup and pushup sets over and over again. When I finally wore myself out I settled down upon a flat bench and purposefully select two 30 pound dumbbells to do my presses. :devil: All the while thinking about my little rant from last night. (Yeah, I got your three pounds right here...)

Tomato, you and I were probably watching that clip last night about the same time. When I showed it to DH he just about lost it. "Did they just say they were going to do "butt work?!" :rolleyes:

The suspended bands are interesting. I spoke with someone two weeks ago who attended an IDEA conference where she was able to test these out. At the conference she said that the bands were made of fabric not elastic. The concept of lowering herself to the ground from these suspended pieces disturbed her. All she could think about was the "what ifs...you know if it rips"

Fran: I'm not buying it for one minute that M has built her body using only three pound dumbbells either. She is too smart and too powerful of a character to waste her time doing 100 reps per side. I mean really...

Elisa: You are always welcome to the party here even if you've had that week from :devil: and can't post. No worries and no guilt. I'm glad though that it makes you feel more connected to be able to log in and see what's going on. I'm certain it is what keeps me on track most of the time too. Just knowing I'm not the only one doing this makes all the difference.

Which reminds me, on my way to this hike we passed a young woman driving a small four door sedan. On the back window was the telltale sign of a tribe member, a 26.2 sticker. But what really caught our eye and why this makes honorable mention is because her car was filled to capacity with giant 5 gallon orange Gatorade coolers and she was tapping into her cell phone while barrelling down I-70 obviously in route to support a marathon somewhere. Too cute. :goodvibes:

Have a great afternoon everyone. :sunny:

nelie
10-04-2008, 05:45 PM
Madonna uses a lot of yoga/body weight stuff. She does the intense yoga which includes handstands and what not.

I went on a hike today after my physical therapy. My legs are a bit toast and I wanted to do my run today. We'll see how the legs feel in an hour or so.

Mel
10-06-2008, 08:24 AM
Monday, Monday.... Boy, it's dark out there!

I had a good weekend. Bizarre leg workout on Saturday and food totally off plan (I need to plan better), but Sunday was a good day. Biked in the morning, then went shopping at the outlets with a friend, then an intense interval run when I got home. Food was on.

Cardio done, food packed. DS is sick again...sigh...so I don't know if I'll get to the gym at lunch or will be driving back and forth to either home or the high school.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Nelie- How's the running?

Mel

elisa822
10-06-2008, 08:30 AM
Mel - it's dark and quite chilly here too! But it supposed to warm up a bit as the week goes on.

My food was so-so over the weekend but I did get outside for my usual 5k. I'm such a fair weather runner that I'm not sure how much longer I'll last outside. I was buying some running pants and the guy said something about how "we" run all year long outside. I laughed and said maybe "you" do but "we" don't. I hate the cold too much but if I could make it a little longer that would be nice!

I had seen that clip from Gwyneth Paltrow when it was on Oprah and I too cringed. I can't help but wonder though...is it at all possible to get into Madonna's shape with only those type of workouts? Believe me, I'm not putting down my big girl weights but it made me wonder. Or do you think that woman was full of crap? :o

Happy Monday...I'm off to have my coffee and my Fibre One muffin!

nelie
10-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Running is good! I went running yesterday near the dog park while DH took the dogs to the dog park. It was a little hilly and had to push through some small hills but I really liked it. Today is running again. It seems to get easier everytime I go out. I also did NRLW 1A workout yesterday.

My calves are killing me though from physical therapy. stupid calf raises.

Lydia227
10-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Monday, Monday.... Boy, it's dark out there! Mel

Yep. :yes: Here too. I'm feeling a little silly ending my workouts with the sun salutations when the sun is still no where to near the horizon. It used to be perfect a week or two ago. I'd wrap up right at 7:00am with the salutations, the light would just begin to brighten the sky and I would be out the door to see the rest of the sunrise on the way home. It's going to be a few months before that happens again. :lol:

Hey Mel I went biking Sunday too! My ride didn't begin until around three in the afternoon. I had so much anxiety that day and just couldn't shake it. I think it was too much caffeine in the morning and no cardio session. I felt like I was about to burst.

I've ridden this trail once before but didn't complete it because I ran out of time. Yesterday I had an hour and half to explore so I was ready to see what was on the other side. The trail was somewhat clear of the storm debris. My concerns were the crunched up leaves that are beginning to cover the trail. They hide all the spray painted potholes on the path as well as all the tiny twigs. :yikes: At one point in the path there was a patch of black walnuts that had fallen from an overhanging tree. Those were fun to dodge. :rolleyes: In spite of all of that it was still a great time and I was disappointed when I ran out of pavement to follow. :?: I got off my bike walked around looking for a pick up for it from somewhere but nope, that was it. Overall it was a 24 mile ride so I suppose it was enough to burn off a little steam. Still love my bike. :goodvibes: We grabbed some frozen custard for the boys and then drove back to Columbus just in time for me to wipe the bugs off my face and change for my Yin yoga class. :yoga: Life just couldn't get any better.

I can't help but wonder though...is it at all possible to get into Madonna's shape with only those type of workouts? Believe me, I'm not putting down my big girl weights but it made me wonder. Or do you think that woman was full of crap? :o

:chin: I've been wondering about this too. It may be possible to further refine our shape using these kinds of methods. But I do not think that it is the right way to begin a strength training program. I think that if a person has a lot of bodyfat to lose and is truly deconditioned that it is best to go heavy. I'm also thinking that a specific body type or perhaps the way someones muscles may be attached to their framework may also further enhance this method to make it appear more successful for some and less so for others. Just a hunch. One thing is for certain. At my highest weight, there is no way on this earth that doing a hundred reps with three pound dumb bells would have ever given me my current shape. Not only that but my mindset then was so focused and determined that I needed to balance that mental energy with an equal strong/heavy weight in my hand. If that makes any sense. I needed to feel it.

Nelie: I'm so glad your running is going well for you. I'm your cheerleader over here. :yay: It's such a great feeling isn't it? You go girl!

tikanique
10-06-2008, 05:19 PM
I think they are crazy. I take advice like that and toss it in the same pile as "you little women shouldn't worry about money. Just sit there, look pretty and let us menfolk make all the decisions!" I've lost weight in the past withouth lifting but never have I looked as good or felt as good about myself as when i was lifting weights.

I can't run in the cold either, Elisa. Sucking in that cold air makes my lungs feel like they going to split wide open.

Lydia, maybe you can do moon ministrations until we set the clocks back?

I have my first head cold of the season courtesy of the Crew! I thought about you Mel, and kept my cooties out of the gym. Instead I rode my stationary bike at home and between sneezes, got in a decent workout for a sick chick.

Happy Monday all! Make this week count!

Lydia227
10-06-2008, 06:44 PM
Lydia, maybe you can do moon ministrations until we set the clocks back? OH! THAT'S RIGHT! I forgot all about setting the clocks back. :doh: I'm so excited that I might be able to leave the gym in broad daylight again soon. :carrot: (I'm such a dork) :dizzy:

Tiki: How kind of you to stay home today. As a fellow gym goer who picks up everything in the air I thank you! :hug: I do hope you are feeling better tomorrow. I'm already loading up on the vitamin C and the l-glutamine. Last year was a doozy.

Mel
10-07-2008, 08:30 AM
Tiki- Hope you feel better. Your fellow gym members thank you for staying home :hug:

Lydia- It was freezing here this morning. I thought of you out there saluting the moon when I scooted out (dripping) to get the paper.

I did a few one on one sessions of power yoga with an instruction with whom I bartered training. I have to admit that 1) I really didn't enjoy it but might have learned to like it and 2) it was HARD. I was drenched after an hour and incredibly sore the next day. I think you can develop muscles like that (along with a very clean diet and fantastic genetics), but I question the actual strength, functional fitness, or endurance. Fitness is adaptive; how can you get truly fit by NOT MOVING? Really, it is body weight training taken to an extreme.

Off for another day in the trenches. Cardio done, food packed, legs lite at lunch.

Mel

elisa822
10-07-2008, 08:40 AM
Mel - you know I love my Power Yoga and I'm glad that you agreed that it's no walk in the park! I think your comments are fair though and that's why I keep to just a part of my workout. Just once a week and it feels like a great complement to the other workouts. I do feel stronger and my balance and flexibility has greatly improved. But it's not for everyone, I guess.

I'm off to my Power Yoga at noon today! ;)

tiki - hope you're feeling better. I had a hint of a cold coming and have been loading up with Vitamin C and Cold FX (not sure if they sell it there). I'm not certain that it works but it has seemed to have warded off the bad colds a few times. Doesn't seem to hurt so I'll accept even the placebo effect.

Lydia227
10-07-2008, 08:43 AM
:dizzy: That's how I felt this morning when I crawled out of bed to go to the gym. I thought perhaps a good cardio session might cure it. Somewhat better but not quite. When I laid down on the bench to lift the room began to spin and I could not pick a spot to focus upon to save my life. I did about three reps and put had the good sense to put the dumbbells back on the rack. I walked over to the mat put my head between my knees till things calmed down and then went home. Wierd. Maybe I just slept kind of wrong or something. I'd go back to bed but I have family coming from out of town today so I'm on for the rest of the day.

Make it a great morning everyone :coffee:

nelie
10-07-2008, 11:06 AM
I need to do some yoga sometime, I miss it but I can barely find time these days. I got home last night, fed the cats, went for a run, took the dogs for a walk to cool down from the run, fed the dogs, fed myself while standing up and doing kitchen chores. Sat down for 10 minutes to put my food into my online food diary. Then I prepped lunch for today and dinner for DH. Prepped my gym bag for swimming. Did my physical therapy exercises, did a couple stretches, got ready for bed then went to bed.

So anyway, did swimming this morning, did running last night and I'm looking to do weights after work. So much to do, so little time.

sportmom
10-07-2008, 11:50 AM
Love all the kinetic energy on this board - everybody going here, doing that, there's a definite charge in this thread! Lydia, I hope your dizziness is gone for good and that you are feeling better now.

I'm pretty pleased. I've increased the weights for my squats consistently for the last 3 workouts w/o feeling like falling down the stairs the next day! I guess that means more weight this weekend and deeper squats. I definitely feel like my legs are heavy and that they got worked, but they are not noodle legs, so I can do more. I also increased the number of reps on my ball squats to 30 successfully, so now I guess I'll have to look at doing 1 count rests at the bottom and turn it into a 3 count move instead of a slow 2 count move. Yea for progress! Scale is not dropping suddenly, but I expect my pants will reward me first while my scale is reflecting my "BULKING" ;) (sorry ladies, just had to throw that in there - i'm BULKING, i'm BULKING, oh no!)

nelie
10-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Fran - I've been working on my squat form for what seems to be ages. Well I talked to the physical therapist I'm working with and he said he'll help me gain flexibility and also get better squat form. Maybe I shouldn't have asked because he already is trying to kill me!

Lydia227
10-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Nelie: You are one incredibly busy woman these days. Wow. I bet you could use a good relaxing yoga session but where would it fit in. :dizzy: I'm finding that one day a week does it for me though. If I try to hit the studio two times a week in the evening then I begin to feel like I"m greeting myself coming and going. In between time I just roll out the mat at home and do my practice in the evening. Oh good luck with working on your flexibility. You are in so much trouble now that you have let your physical therapist in on your squat improvement plan. Good luck to ya!

Fran: Speaking of squats, look at you going deeper! I've never done ball squats. Mostly because we don't really have a good place to do this at our gym. The walls flank an indoor track and the walls are somewhat curved.

Anyway, still feeling dizzy over here. I think it may be a virus or something. Maybe. Who knows. Hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow when I get up or else I'll have to be a good sport like Tiki and keep my sorry self home. Wait. That means sleeping in. hmmm. That doesn't sound too bad really. :s:

sportmom
10-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Lydia, I had about 2 days where the dizziness came and went. I would sit down somewhere and get the whirlies then, so it wasn't even upon standing up or standing too long. Very odd. Never knew what caused it and it left just as magically. But yeah, the dizzies are somehow unsettling aren't they? You fear they will get worse and level you, but mine never did.

Mel
10-07-2008, 08:39 PM
Lydia, I have occasionally had this. In my case, it's an infection or inflammation of the inner ear. I usually first notice it in the middle of the night, when I turn over, the bed keeps moving and I get nauseous. It goes away in a few days.

Stay away from the gym if you are dizzy- I know it's hard :D, but you really could hurt yourself.

Mel
10-09-2008, 08:29 AM
Halllooooooo!!!!! The October thread is in danger of falling off the map :o

I have been GOOD with food. Can't control events around me, but I can stop stuffing myself and self-medicating with peanut butter. Clean eating is paying off.

Yesterday dh left early to play hockey so I could do a treadmill run for am cardio. Yikes, that's seems so much harder than the elliptical even though my monitor says it's the same!

Cardio done, food packed, back and chest at the gym at lunch time.

What's everyone up to? Lydia and Tiki- I hope you are both feeling better.

Mel

Tomato
10-09-2008, 08:55 AM
I did a 45 min class of Zumba and since I was already at the gym, I stayed for the next class, Body Sculpt, also 45 min. I was not sure how hard it would be (I am going through therapy for my lower back/hip problem and I need to be careful) I used lighter weights and bar than I could have (but, no woman should lift more than 3 lbs hehehe). Nevermind, next time I will go heavier. I sweated buckets.

I am so glad that I returned to Zumba. I started in the summer when a 101 class was introduced (regular class was impossible since I did not know any of the steps) even with that, it was a bit overwhelming for my 2 left feet and I quit. I forced myself to start again (again with 101) and it's no longer so intimidating and see the fun in it in spite of the mistakes I make. I am hoping down the road I will be able to take regular Zumba classes (which represent a hefty cardio workout) because my treadmill running will have to be toned down a lot.

Tomato
10-09-2008, 10:03 AM
Mel, I like the term 'self-medicating with protein butter'. LOL I have to include that into my vocabulary. :-) (By the way, I am guilty as charged although I am slowly working on it).

Lydia, I experience similar dizziness, for about a day, once or twice a year. I mentioned it to my doctor but of course, when I see my doctor, I am fine so it's hard to diagnose. Now that I have a blood pressure monitor I can at least measure my blood pressure to see if it is too low (in me, it usually starts with a feeling that I may faint and if I don't get myself horizontal it could happen).

Lydia227
10-09-2008, 10:04 AM
Good Morning everyone :coffee:

The good news is, the dizziness is not from my blood pressure. :yay: I've been weaning off of the meds for the past six months and I'm on the final stage, half a pill every other day. I was convinced that the dizziness was from that. Turns out the next day I developed a stiff neck, slight fever, headache. Basic flu/cold/ or allergy symptoms. I'm feeling a little better today but staying home from the gym just to be sure. I think I slept most of the day yesterday.

Tomato: Zumba class terrifies me. Really. I have two left feet as well and classes just wig me out. Two back to back classes too. You must have been pretty worn out that evening.

Food right now is morphing into a dangerous place. Darn pretzels. It's so silly and I really can't make these things turn into something. Each time that I sit down with a plateful of them after I've eaten my lunch I'm thinking that these are the extra 200 calories that could pack ten pounds on me by the end of the year. Are they really worth it. Of course the logical answer is no. ~sigh~ I need to kick myself out of maintenance mode and back into losing mode if I have any chance of not trying to dig myself out in February and March. My first line of attack is to NOT purchase Halloween candy until the day before. I know there are good alternatives to candy as treats for the kids but my kids would freak. I also know all of the kids on my block as well as most of them surrounding my neighborhood. I have a reputation to protect. :lol:

Okay. So for today. Just for today, no pretzels. I'm staying 100% on plan to drop the three pounds of water weight that crept up this week. No skinny lattes, or dips into the kids peanut butter jar. If I want my cardio clothes to fit the way they should in the next three months this has to stop today.

Obviously it's going to be a fun day here. :rolleyes: Everyone else enjoy the day!

EofAZ
10-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Well I almost always lurk around here but have so little to add I don't pop in to much BUT after the last couple of days I figured I probably should just say Hi to help keep the thread active.:p I was shocked to stop in yesterday and find that no one had posted. Wow.

Anyway, my food has been doing very well, finally. I've struggled and struggled and finally about the end of August everything clicked and I'm starting to loose again. Yippee for me.

tikanique
10-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Last night I got to bed at 130AM - earliest i've been to bed all week. I'm SO ready for the weekend. The Girl is going to her first homecoming dance, the boy has his first band performance free weekend in MONTHS!! And it's supposed to be gorgeous!

Lydia227
10-10-2008, 08:06 PM
Tiki: 1:30am. :faint: That's three hours before I start my day. You must be exhausted! Go to bed early tonight. Oh, and tell your daughter to have a great time! I remember my first homecoming dance. :lol: By the way, are you feeling better with that cold?

EofZ: Nice to see you pop in. It is difficult to be 100 percent all of the time. I find that my enthusiasm cycles too. I don't exactly tank out where I don't want to work out at all or I'm ready to throw all caution to the wind with my eating but I have been known to ease back a little and then come back renewed with more focus in a month or two. I'm gearing up right now for that kind of focus as we head into the winter months. :yes:

So, I'm still sick. My neck is so stiff and sore I can hardly turn it. Bit of a sore throat and extreme fatigue. I took yesterday off but went in today for a quick run and some upper body lifting. Hey, at 4:30 in the morning I still don't really know that I don't feel unwell. I wasn't dizzy and there was no fever so I thought I would give it a go. ~sigh~ I'll be sleeping in tomorrow. I came home, got the kids to school, and spent the rest of the day in bed. I'm going to use this time to research some new workouts, look up some new food options and do a lot of catch up reading. Hopefully Monday will be better or else it's off to my friendly doc to see what I've got going on. As a side note, DS1 reported that five children in his classroom were out with whooping cough today. Folks there are only twenty children in his class...I truly hope that he doesn't bring this home too. ~shudder~

Mel
10-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Whooping cough???? I thought that was part of the DPT shot! I thought it had been pretty much eradicated....

Food was not so good today. I had 5 days in a row clean. Ah well, tomorrow is a fresh chance. No workout tomorrow, tho, we are going college visiting:dizzy:

Tiki- get some sleep!

EofA :wave:

Lydia- what kind of food options are you researching? I' getting tired of chicken on top of salad for lunch, but it's the easiest option I can think of.

Mel

EofAZ
10-10-2008, 09:29 PM
Well I started my day with some resistance training using a Swiss ball mostly hitting the legs and core. Every time I got up and walked around today I was reminded that I must have worked hard enough to have it count for something. I'm sure it was the squats and lunges that got me. I also got a 2 1/2 mile walk in during lunch. It was hot out there today and I looked like a wet rag by the time I got back. Food’s been spot on so life is good.

Mel, I usually rotate soups one week then salads the next. My salads I really try to mix up what veggies I put on them. I may have a salad with greens, sliced strawberries and a little lite feta and the next time I will have chickpeas, southwestern grilled chicken and red/yellow peppers. Some times I will use a salsa/cottage cheese combination instead of dressing and I usually keep frozen shrimp on hand because they are quick and can nicely replace chicken. (almost did that today but wanted to clean up the chicken). I always take the veggies to work with me and assemble the salad fresh just before I eat it. Don’t forget you can make it into a “taco” type salad too.

Lydia227
10-10-2008, 09:39 PM
Lydia- what kind of food options are you researching? I' getting tired of chicken on top of salad for lunch, but it's the easiest option I can think of.

Mel

I know what you mean. I've got to mix it up, so I thinking of putting the lettuce on top of chicken instead of the other way around. Got to think out of the box.

{btw, this post is an example of what happens when Lydia walks away from her laptop and DH wanders by} :dance:

elisa822
10-10-2008, 09:57 PM
{btw, this post is an example of what happens when Lydia walks away from her laptop and DH wanders by}

Sneaky man, this Lydia's DH...now how can I ever trust anything that "Lydia" has to say.

Lydia....is that you? Are you there...are you okay?? ;)

Hmmm...let's see about me. So-so food week, not great workout week. I too am sick. Well, not too bad, but not too good either. The cold seems to have stuck but it's still only a medium-grade cold I'd say. I'm hoping the whole thing is on it's way out but I do have little bit of a cough that I'm afraid could still get worse before it gets better. I'm really hoping that's not the case because it looks like a beautiful (and long) weekend here. I'm wishing a :thanks1: to all my fellow Canadians. So, it would be great to fit in one or two nice runs outside. Once October hits, I consider every outside run a treat!

tiki - wow...get some sleep! And have a great weekend...sounds like fun!

Mel - have you put down the PB? It's amazing how much of a weakness it is for so many of us. My PB is all natural but that doesn't reduce the calories does it! I love it just with a spoon and I prefer the chunky but if I'm reminiscing? Give me some Wonder Bread, Kraft smooth PB and a glass of milk. sigh. Or a nice big spoonful with some chocolate chips smooshed on top. Good times...no wonder I got fat!

Hi to everyone...have a great weekend!

Lydia227
10-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Sorry about that. He has been reprimanded :devil: and put back in his cage. Happy Thanksgiving Elisa! I hope you are feeling better this weekend. It really is beautiful here too. I would love to get out and ride my bike today but that's not happening. I'm still sick too. In fact, I took the morning off from the gym and went to the coffee shop with the boys (DH included) I felt pretty good walking around with my coffee but now it's hitting me again. Unfortunately, I have a hour long drive to attend DH grandmother's funeral (she was 98!) and then tromp around at the last county fair. ~sigh~ I'll nap most of the time in the car.

Mel: Yes! Whooping cough! Can you imagine. One of the parents is a chemist from OSU. Her theory is that the batch of vaccinations these fifth graders must have received may have been compromised in some way. :dunno: So far my sons are fine. I'm the one who's sick. Geez i hope it doesn't turn into this. I just can not imagine wheezing my way through a cardio session nor can I imagine being home for two weeks. It will drive me nuts!

Tiki: So...how was Homecoming? Have you gone to bed yet?

Lydia227
10-13-2008, 11:25 AM
Good Morning Everyone :coffee:

Looks like it must have been quite the weekend for everyone here. It's rather quiet here in the land of lifting. Everyone is at the gym right? :s:

Still sick. Better but not good enough. You should be proud of me Tiki. This is like my third day off from the gym which is a dangerous point for me. I get a little antsy. But I am not going to infect anyone else.

On the bright side I'm holding out on the Halloween treats so far. Haven't brought them into the house like I promised myself last week. Just a couple more weeks and then I'll be further ahead than I was last year.

It's a beautiful day here. Great for biking. The mind is willing but the body unable to get past the couch. It's okay though, I have plenty of reading material to get through. Currently I am squeezing in a book by Pamela Peek "Fighting Fat after Forty" or something like that. Interesting material about the chemical forces that drive us to eat after a stressful event. Just reading the book caused me to get stressed and I had to walk away from it a few times. :lol: Good knowledge to have in the back of our heads though. I think it contains information that I would have "wished I knew that" about perimenopause if I would have found this ten years later. Knowledge is power.

Have a great morning everyone.

midwife
10-13-2008, 11:56 AM
Good morning! I haven't been posting much but I'm trying to read. Still lifting weights. Still running. Still eating protein packed concoctions and lots of veggies. Squash is my new friend.

That's all! :)

Mel
10-13-2008, 01:48 PM
OK, for lunch today I am having salad on top of turkey chili! :rofl:

Lydia, you can let him out of his cage.

Yes, I was at the gym! I have today off- it's a bank holiday :) I did a spinning class, something I haven't done in over two years. Good thing I could still find my gel padded shorts, because I'd be REALLY unhappy otherwise. My favorite instructor from so many years ago was teaching it. BTW, she always calls me MEG, so it's not just here on 3FC that I'm confused.

After spinning, I did a half-hearted chest and back workout. Spinning kind of depleted me :dizzy: The mind was willing, but there wasn't anything left in the tank.

The weekend was a workout drought. We visited colleges with DS. Yesterday I mowed the lawn and did 40 minutes of bike and treadmill trying NOT to sweat too profusely, because I had hair dye on my head :o

:wave: midwife!

Elissa-hope you had a great Thanksgiving. Get those last fall runs in while you can. I used to run in the snow but now think that was crazy.

have a good one,

Mel

sportmom
10-13-2008, 02:29 PM
40 minutes of bike and treadmill trying NOT to sweat too profusely, because I had hair dye on my head :o

I usually consider myself a powerful multi-tasker, but you have just put me to shame! Treadmilling while haircoloring! I think I would :faint: from the fumes, but you are truly wonder woman!

EofAZ
10-13-2008, 06:26 PM
The weekend put a kink in my eating on plan, forgot we had planned on going to dinner with my SIL and my willpower was dismal. Of course Saturday I kept it to the one meal off plan but by Sunday I was craving carbs and not doing a very good job of getting the lid closed on Pandora’s box. Fortunately today is back to work and the structured eating, so far so good.

Had a distress call from my DD last night and then couldn’t get to sleep until after 1:00 am so I slept in until almost 6:00 this morning. Plenty of time to get ready for work but not enough time to fit in a resistance workout. Oh well, I did get my walk in during lunch and it was nice and cool (70’s) so added an extra trek around the block to at least get a few more steps in and burn a few more calories. I figured I better take the opportunity while it was there, by Friday we are suppose to be back up to 90 again and I’ll be pushing to just get a regular walk in (about 2 ½ miles). At least 90 is cool enough to get outside for a walk, any hire then that and I use the treadmill … with the AC on … and a fan blowing at me.

WaterRat
10-14-2008, 02:33 PM
Hi :wave: I'm back from my mini-vacation/workshop/meeting 10 days. I had full intentions of keeping up my exercise routine. I did a lot of walking at my GFs house, but when I got to the first hotel, their workout room and pool were closed! Boo, hiss. THen I got a cold (is this a club?) and at the second hotel I could have cared less about exercise/swimming - I was asleep every spare minute. :lol: Feeling better, but still have a lot of fatigue. Was in bed before 9 last night. I have a swimming class tomorrow night I'm aiming for. Tonight is a City COuncil meeting, so no exercise time anyway.

FOod was moderately good - lots of salads and fruit, and for a nice change, protein for breakfast! The nasty sweet rolls were there, but so much easier to resist when there are eggs, oatmeal and yogurt. :)

So I'm back at work trying to catch up, both on my life and my office. You all will be dismayed to hear that we had 3" of sn** yesterday! And my appt to put my winter tires on isn't til 10/24. And of course it's cold and dark too - around 10.5 hours of daylight. So, I'm suffering serious "lower 48" envy.....

EofAZ
10-14-2008, 05:00 PM
So I'm back at work trying to catch up, both on my life and my office. You all will be dismayed to hear that we had 3" of sn** yesterday! And my appt to put my winter tires on isn't til 10/24. And of course it's cold and dark too - around 10.5 hours of daylight. So, I'm suffering serious "lower 48" envy.....

I was thrilled that it actually dipped down into the 70's for 2 days this week. It isn't suppose to last, back up to 90 by Friday but I made sure to get out and walk a little extra during lunch to enjoy as much of it as I can.

WaterRat
10-14-2008, 11:28 PM
Evangeline :ziplip: :lol: I had hoped to hit some warmer weather in Oregon, and it was nice there - 70-80 and sunny - right up until the day I arrived! Then it was 50ish and rained the rest of the time I was there..... Here it's snowing again. Sigh.

Mel
10-15-2008, 08:28 AM
Welcome back, Pat :wave: Sorry your trip was so sniffly. Please don't say the sn** word yet! I'm still gearing up to deal with leaves and garden debris.

Short but heavy leg workout yesterday. I think the spinning and staying up too late took more out of me than I thought it would I was a zombie all yesterday. A reasonable (for me) night's sleep, morning cardio and a bucket of coffee have me back to normal.

No gym today until maybe a home workout tonight. I have a lunch meeting that I can't wiggle out of.

Mel

Tomato
10-15-2008, 08:40 AM
I haven't been posting much but I have been reading.
Lydia, another vote for letting your DH outta the cage. The dude is SO cute!

I did not have much time last night but I did go to the gym (I was frustrated over something and I needed to get it out of my system). Aren't the weights the best tool for that? Oh I had to say hello to the Gravitron as well. :-)

Zumba tonight (Lydia, believe me, I have the leftist feet on the planet [and I am not talking politics LOL]) but I am very stubborn. And it is really fun, no matter whether my feet are doing the proper steps or not. THere was a class in progress when I finished my workout last night and I really really itched to jump in at least for a few songs but I had some work lined up at home that had to be done.

Lydia227
10-15-2008, 12:01 PM
Lydia, The dude is SO cute!

:o Oh thanks. ~sigh~ After twenty years he still makes me smile :goodvibes: I'll have to tell him you agree with me. :D

Oh he's since redeemed himself. He came home from work early the day before yesterday and spent all of yesterday home with me. I'm still trying to get over this flu virus and I'm pretty much spent. He spent the day being "me" with the boys. :^: One of my friends had this same bug and she said it layed her out for two weeks. Looks like Monday I should be good to go. :crossed:

Mel: Those spinning classes are tough. It's why I only did it two or three times last winter. I couldn't lift after the class and well, I just can't have any of that. Although, it maybe okay to do the cardio thing just one day a week. Maybe. :chin:

Pat: Welcome Home! :hug: I hope that you still had a nice visit with your friend even if you had the bug too. It is a bit of club here. I'm looking into what I can do to boost my immune system for this year. I'm taking just about everything they suggest, l-glutamine, mega vitamin C, plenty of water, outdoor time, exercise, lots of sleep, lots of fruits and vegetables. Geesh. I'm thinking of adding echinacea in there too. I'm soon to make a snack of all the vitamins...fish oil capsules, vitamin D, Calcium, Glucosamine Chondroitin, fiber tablets. Am I missing anything? :lol:

Sorry about the snow. We had a lovely day yesterday. A great day to drive north of the city and see the fall leaves. DS2 was unimpressed but it was nice to spend some time outdoors (kind of the sunroof was open) and get some fresh air. :lol:

Have a great day! I'm going back to bed.:faint:

nelie
10-15-2008, 01:57 PM
I'm going to try spinning, if I can get the schedule for my gym. For some reason, they don't have their class schedule online. It makes me wonder if they are closing down or something...

WaterRat
10-15-2008, 06:35 PM
I'm still gearing up to deal with leaves and garden debris.

Ah, Mel, the flower box in front of the library has not yet been cleaned out and it's a sad looking thing these days. If the parks people haven't gotten here by the weekend, I'll probably do it myself. It's 90% annuals so there's nothing much to "save." I did get my own beds cleaned out just before I left, and DH did the raspberries and the last of the leaves while I was gone. He also finished the new greenhouse, put up a new garden gate, and with the help of a teen-aged boy, stacked up a lot of firewood. He was a busy little boy. :)

Tonight is swimming - yay! I'm enjoying it and it seems to be a good cardio workout - even the runners in the class find that. Of course, unlike other forms, you can't breathe whenever you want. :lol:

Tomato
10-16-2008, 09:54 AM
I need to fume on your collective shoulder, ladies!

I went to my Zumba class last night, all excited - it's quite a struggle for me to get there in time as it starts at 6 pm and I work till 5 pm on the opposite end of town (so it's get home in the snail pace rush hour, get the dogs pee'd and fed, change and off to the gym).
This is the time of the annual nonsense called Octoberfest and we share the parking lot with a Schwaben Club (a German club). Can you see what's coming? I got there and there was not a single parking spot left, and a bunch of other cars cruising in vain hope to leave the car somewhere. The gym is on a very busy strip sandwiched by a very road on one side and another busy road (one way) on the other side, so to get back means to drip around the block because there was not even enough space to turn around. AAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!! I tried the next door lot (Red Lobster, that is currently having some promotion - all you can eat or something), and a dealership on the other side, but everything was already taken by beer-guzzling and sausage-eating denizens.
What an insult! One can't get a workout because people stuff themselves with fatty sausages!!!!:tantrum::bomb::tantrum::bomb: :tantrum:

nelie
10-16-2008, 10:21 AM
Aww Tomato, that sucks.

I stopped last night at the Ballys after my running class. The running class is across the street from the gym. I guess its funny to walk into a gym all sweaty and ask for a schedule of their classes. They have Zumba there but apparently their zumba instructor split because they said all the classes are cancelled. Anyway, I was interested in spinning. On the weekdays, the class is from 5:30am to 6:30am... Uhh well they have other hours too but that one is funny because I struggled this morning to get up at 7:30. Of course I did a hearty session of physical therapy and running yesterday so I was tired.

sportmom
10-16-2008, 10:28 AM
Tomato - add insult to injury already! THat's horrible! Soooo frustrating. I hope the O'fest is over soon and you can get back in there.

Nelie, I was thinking about that gorgeous exercise machine you bought last year this morning as I was reliving my equipment experiences from the last year. How is that thing working out for you? ARe you still in love? I remember that it was very cool. Has it helped in your lifting routine?

nelie
10-16-2008, 10:45 AM
Fran - I do love my ProSpot and have been using it for NRLW workouts. It is great. One thing I haven't used at all are the leg extensions/curls but DH told me he tried leg curls on it the other day at 10 lbs and he couldn't do it. I may have to walk him through it :) I love the barbell and the fact that I can do squats without worrying about killing myself.

sportmom
10-16-2008, 11:24 AM
MILK -- THE PERFECT POST WORK-OUT SNACK

Thoughts? I was watching the Biggest Loser tuesday nite and bob harper said this. Since I'm always looking for new ideas to help with my protein, I tried this last nite after lifting. Was a nice change from the cup of yogurt I normally have. And latest research shows that upping calcium actually helps with stones prevention (contrary to recent advice about limiting calcium), so that could be a benefit for me as well.

(Fran: The cottage cheese/protein powder/fish hater)

Meg
10-16-2008, 11:27 AM
Fran, I've read that chocolate milk is the ideal post workout meal. :D It was in a study out of the University of Pittsburgh -- let me see if I can find it.

nelie
10-16-2008, 11:28 AM
My running coach says she drink chocolate milk as a recovery drink after long runs. So I went and bought some chocolate soy milk :)

Meg
10-16-2008, 11:32 AM
Chocolate Milk as a Post-Exercise Recovery Aid: International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, 2006, 16, 78-91

Apparently chocolate milk has the perfect ratio of protein and simple carbs for post-workout recovery. :T

Lydia227
10-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Ahh good reason to play like a kid. (running outdoors free as the wind) so that we can eat like a kid.(:goodvibes: chocoloate milk) Reminds me about "Everything I ever needed to know I learned in kindergarten."

All I really need to know about how to live and what to do and how to be I learned in kindergarten. Wisdom was not at the top of the graduate school mountain, but there in the sand pile at school.
These are the things I learned:

* Share everything.
* Play fair.
* Don't hit people.
* Put things back where you found them.
* Clean up your own mess.
* Don't take things that aren't yours.
* Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody.
* Wash your hands before you eat.
* Flush.
* Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.
* Live a balanced life - learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some.
* Take a nap every afternoon.
* When you go out in the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands and stick together.
* Be aware of wonder. Remember the little seed in the Styrofoam cup: the roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody really knows how or why, but we are all like that.
* Goldfish and hamsters and white mice and even the little seed in the Styrofoam cup - they all die. So do we.
* And then remember the Dick-and-Jane books and the first word you learned - the biggest word of all - LOOK.

WaterRat
10-16-2008, 02:38 PM
Mmmmmm, chocolate milk. :drool: I may have to try this after swimming, which is the most exhausting exercise I do these days. I can tell when I've hit my limit - all of a sudden the water is cold, I'm cold, and my limbs feel 10 lbs heavier. :lol: All I want at that point is to haul myself out of the pool and into a hot shower. I get home ravenous and tired (not a bad thing) and chocolate milk would hit the spot. I know I worked hard last night, my arms are sore (nicely) and I can feel the muscles in my butt that get worked from kicking. :)

Love your list Lydia, and it's all so true.

sportmom
10-16-2008, 04:05 PM
I'm not getting the hyperlink on that Meg. Hmmm. Can someone give me the executive summary of why chocolate is superior to white fatfree milk? LIke, if I can't have chocolate, is white ff milk just as good, close, or inferior to chocolate?

Meg
10-16-2008, 04:34 PM
Sorry, Fran, I didn't make a hyperlink, but try this: Chocolate Milk as a Post-Exercise Recovery Aid (http://66.102.1.104/scholar?hl=en&lr=&client=firefox-a&q=cache:TQJ5Ckej1HgJ:www.milknewsroom.com/downloads/stager_chocmilk_study.pdf+author:%22Karp%22+intitl e:%22Chocolate+Milk+as+a+Post-Exercise+Recovery+Aid%22+)

The sugar in the chocolate milk is what differentiates it from white milk. The sugar is a simple carb, which is recommended post-workout for fast glycogen
resynthesis (getting glycogen back into depleted muscles). The study says that the best ratio for a post-workout drink is about 3:1 carbs to protein and the sugars in chocolate milk boost the carb count to close to this ratio.

Mel
10-17-2008, 08:39 AM
OK, I thought that was a joke! Guess not. I'm afraid chocolate milk would be a huge trigger for me. Too many associations with other comfort foods.

Neli- I can't remember what it is you bought last year. What is theis wonderful machine?

We got rid of our bench with the leg attachments. It was cheaply made for one, but the angle was lousy for me (short) and the pads hit dh at a really uncomfortable spot. Neither of us liked it.

Steady state cardio done to the first show of "Life on Mars" recorded last week. It looks entertaining. I've done HIIT most days this week and just couldn't take another session of it.

Shoulders at the gym today- I'm all off schedule!

Mel

Meg
10-17-2008, 09:12 AM
Warm chocolate chip cookies and milk ... :drool:

sportmom
10-17-2008, 09:47 AM
Glad to hear you didn't like the leg atch either Mel. I just figured it was me, cuz certainly they would have tested it and engineered it right! I'm not short and have most of my height in my legs with a short upper body, and I STILL couldn't get it to work! So uncomfortable. I guess I'm back to the floor looking at leg curls there, but those make me nervous as there's no real protection from a heavy weight landing on your spine. And if I can't go heavy enough to feel it, I'm like what's the point.

I think I'm going to try step-ups with dumbbells next. Barbell sets with plates that go high enough for me start at $300, with shipping at $125. No one really sells a nice set in store, they're pretty much those concrete vinyl covered weights. btdt So I have my FIRM fanny lifters (quit laughing!) that would be great for doing step-ups.

nelie
10-17-2008, 11:34 AM
Mel - Its a prospot. It has an olympic sized bar on cables and uses electronics to stop/release the bar from a certain position. It also does have a non electrical stop you can set too for safety but the default is to be stopped.
http://prospotfitness.net/hg1.html

Mel
10-18-2008, 09:21 AM
Fran- have you tried "ball pulls" (http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/stability-ball-hamstring-curl-0) for hamstrings? They are very effective, especially if you work up to doing them one leg at a time.

I'm off for a leg workout at the new Gold's Gym.

Mel

Lydia227
10-18-2008, 05:05 PM
I second the ball pulls or hamstring ball exercises. I do deadlifts, cable exercises, lunges but the ball targets those hamstrings as well as my calves in a very surprising (exhausting) way.

So Mel, how was Gold's? Gold's opened a gym last spring on the other direction of my current gym. When I researched new places last month I found that they are no longer there. It may have been replaced with something else I'm not sure. I read about this while I was down with the flu so it's a little hazy.

Speaking of flu, I'm finally well again. :yay: This morning was my first real workout in two weeks. :dance: Wow that felt sooo good. But, :chin: the rest did too. I'm glad I didn't push myself and try to go back before I was really ready. (a first I know..) I had more stamina and a little more strength this morning than a couple of weeks ago so it was worth the rest. I also got to see a few other members who I haven't seen in months. Since I have begun my new 5:30am workouts there is a whole group of people I've missed. It was nice to see a few familiar faces today.

Of course with a two week rest I found myself rushing from all the endorphins by the time I got home. Poor DH. He just listened to me natter on about the benefits of 85% cocoa and why it's stored inside the vitamin cabinet of our kitchen and that anything less than that is considered candy and is in the deep recesses of the pantry...then I went off blathering about anything else that popped into my head just so that I could be annoying. :chin: There was a conversation about making "clean" chili for the neighborhood gathering instead of the Boilermaker Tailgating Chili...Kind of like I'm doing now.

sportmom
10-18-2008, 05:43 PM
Oooo, YES!, I have tried ball pulls. They are REALLY humbling aren't they? I didn't realize they were so good for the legs, I thought it was mainly a glute exercise. I will put them in the rotation! Thanks! Should I start with 10 and try to progress to 30? This is great because I felt like with "just" squats and ball on the wall sits, that only 2 lower body exercises was short changing myself (I don't wanna work calves). Never mind that I'm doing 70 lb squats and 60 reps total b/w the 2 exercises. I certainly FEEL worked out, but it just seemed proportionally short compared to my 10 upper body exercises.

I had a really great nsv today - out at 9 am for a freezing soccer game and I decided to visit the ladies at half time. I took off on a jog bc of the distance and the cold, and lo and behold found that I jogged all the way to the building. We were playing on a brand new turf field that was just finished and it had some awesome spring to it, so I think that helped me out a ton. I'm bad at measuring distance, so can't tell you how far I ran, but I was impressed with myself. That's new for me. Functional fitness - love it love it love it! This is why we do what we do - so we can sprint to the ladies', grab toddlers from the brink of death, or various other sprints on an as-needed basis!

sportmom
10-19-2008, 03:12 PM
And now for the crash & burn post, I guess.

I ended up doing 2 cardio sessions yesterday, both 30 min sessions on the treadmill, my usual program of inclines and speed, about 3 hrs apart. DD wanted me to watch a dvd w/her, so I figured if I was watching tv, I could get on the t'mill again. Felt fine, everything ok.

This morning was time for my fbwo. I was just kind of not into it. Not strong, either, was really really challenged to finish my last sets, low energy, blah. I doubt it's overtraining, as my last session was Wednesday. No new exercises, my std fare, altho I did go up in wt for 2 exercises. I ate b'fast before lifting - 2 scrambled eggs with a slice of cheese, 2 slices w/w bread with one small pat of butter. After finishing up, I had my glass of nf milk.

It was interesting, bc at the store shopping later, I did feel light headed, kind of dizzy like I should sit down. It passed without incident.

So what is this - is this just as common as the days when you have GREAT sessions? I don't think I'm getting sick. It probably comes down to nutrition and finally making sure I'm getting enough calories and eating often enough during the day rather than winging it. Anything else you can think of? What normally causes days like this when you have them?

Lydia227
10-19-2008, 07:09 PM
Hey Fran,

By the way, congratulations on the NSV. Functional fitness is why I do this too. What a great feeling that must have been yesterday.

So for the crash part. :chin: First, what were your post workout snacks? And, how was your overall nutrition for that day? You don't have to reveal in the post but just think about what you may have eaten and how your body may have found the sources it needed to regenerate for the next day. Also, did you get that snack in within the hour or two of the end of your workout? The sooner the better.

Second, you added a second cardio session to your day. This is a change to your routine and your body is perhaps telling you it has noticed. I've noticed that my energy will dip the next day on occasion if I add the cycling in the late afternoon/evening on the days that I did my morning cardio/lifting routine. Just don't have the same endurance or strength the next day. I think that if I were consistent my body would make the adaptations and I would be okay but schedules in the afternoon are hectic and so I can't commit to three or four days a week of cycling so I haven't been able to test this out.

Could also be that you are getting sick. :hug: I've learned that when I'm feeling a little out of sorts during my workout it means that something just below the surface is developing and will rear it's ugly head within the next three days or so. :crazy: Not always, but often enough that when it does happen it makes me realize how much smarter my body is without my head than with it. :lol:

Anyway, not to worry. ;) Just make sure your are fueling up and giving yourself rest and recovery when you really really need it. If you add the extra sessions in the future it may be fun to make a personal log of the details of how you feel the next day and how you ate to see if there is any change over time. :^:

sportmom
10-19-2008, 10:42 PM
Hi Lydia, it probably was from not refueling properly in the evening yesterday. While I had 2 chicken quesadillas for dinner, maybe I was lacking something more carby or had a blood sugar issue. DH took the girls to Boston Mkt today and brought me home a side of mashed potatoes, no gravy, and I felt about 20 times better after I ate that. Hmmm......

On recovery food - you know, I don't have a recovery snack unless it's a weight workout. Should we be doing that for cardio too? I've just been relying on water for that. However, I have my chocolate milk ready to go now, so if you say yes, I'm ready! The solo milk again today killed my stomach, yet it doesn't in cereal, so i'm thinking the chocolate milk might actually be kinder to my stomach that the straight stuff, by giving it more to work with and help coat those milk proteins. We shall see!

Lydia227
10-19-2008, 11:11 PM
Hey Fran,

You know, :chin: since I rarely do cardio sessions only I never really thought of post workout foods specifically for cardio and how the needs could or may be different than those where we lift as well. Even with my cycling I would eat something when I got home that was similar to my post cardio/lifting routines because it felt like a lot of quad work was going on and I just never considered it different.

Bottom line.

I would have the chocolate milk after the cardio session if you are bumping up your routine in something like intensity or duration. You are calling upon your body to do more than before and it is going to feel a little sluggish until it acclimates.

If you have been okay with your current cardio session without a post workout snack then you may not need to add it. I think that the intensity here is what needs to be considered. How hard you are working your body during those sessions. In both cases you are still depleting the energy stores in your muscles. However yesterday you asked it to do something more and it required a little more to rebuild it's energy stores. Usually the fuel is something that can be broken down quickly. Hence, many runners claim the virtues of chocolate milk. I knew a marathon runner who claimed Pringles chips (any flavor) got the glycogen stores back into her muscles quite efficiently. :devil:

When lifting we take in a protein and carb ratio that helps to repair the muscle we break down as well as replace the energy stores within our muscles for future activity.

If you are going to routinely add more to your cardio sessions then add the chocolate milk post cardio. Track how you feel with it as well as without it. If you find that you have difficulty maintaining or losing after adding this to your diet then make adjustments with other foods to make it fit if you wish to continue to use it.

Oh. and mashed potatoes. MMMM. Lucky girl. :D

Mel
10-20-2008, 08:30 AM
Post cardio- hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! I do cardio first thing in the am, ore-breakfast, so it's not an issue. When I used to do it in the middle of the day, I just made sure I was getting adequate water intake, then ate on my normal schedule. Unless you are dong endurance work of 2 hours plus, you don't need a recovery meal. If you are doing that kind of exercise, you need to eat completely differently and refuel DURING your sessions.

It's cold out there! Happy Monday :)

Mel

Lydia227
10-20-2008, 04:28 PM
Water! What a great idea. :rofl: Fran :sssh: Did you have enough (water) to drink that night? :p If not, have a glass, with lemon, if you like. (I recall these are good for you too right)

Man, I am still sick. I thought I was over this thing but no! I woke up this morning and now I have the stiff neck on the OTHER SIDE! AAAAGGGGGHHHHH! Low grade fever...at least my energy level has returned. I went in for some cardio today but no lifting. I think I'll just have to be a slacker this week. :s:

Tomato
10-20-2008, 07:51 PM
Speaking of ball pulls - we did them today at a Pilates class. I went to check out another gym; closer to where I work - I have the option to upgrade my regular gym membership and for extra $15 a month have access to the other gym. Unfortunately, it turns out it is a bit too far for my liking and it looks like they don;t have any weight machines (? Is it even possible?) I have to take a better look the next time. Right now, I have a card for 5 free sessions, so I think I will just use them up and that will be it. It takes me over 10 minutes to drive there, over 10 to get back, let's say 5 to change (2x) and almost half an hour is gone, which does not leave much time for the actual work out.

But I did enjoy the ball pulls, this was the first time I did them and I have to add them to my routine. So when you do it with one leg only - what do you with the other one? Hold it straight out above the ball?

sportmom
10-20-2008, 10:28 PM
Lydia, you are TOO funny. But yes, I guess I will need to reconsider my consumption since obviously my 132 oz a day isn't doing it for me anymore! ;)

I'm going to do the ball pulls just flat on the floor to start and not as a bridge. I didn't do any of them on Sunday bc I was so worn out by the end, but will hit it on Weds.

Did another 2 cardio sessions today. Will see how I feel in the morning.

Mel
10-21-2008, 08:01 AM
Tomato- Yes, when you do the pulls one-legged, hold the other leg at about a 45 degree angle straight over the ball, and DIG the heel of your working leg into the ball. This really targets the hamstrings. If you feel a muscle cramp start, immediate stretch. The cramping goes away as you get better at it.

Lydia- hope you feel better soon- this sure has been a long siege.

I woke up stuffed up and run down feeling, and skipped am cardio. We all got to bed way too late. Excuses, excuses...but if I get too run down on TUESDAY, I won't make it through the week. Legs at lunch, and I'll do a catch-up cardio tonight.

Mel

nelie
10-21-2008, 10:29 AM
I went to bed exhausted and I woke up exhausted. Doing physical therapy and running on the same day wipes me out. I stopped doing NRLW because of my physical therapy. The doc says I need to concentrate on the leg exercises he gives me. For upper body, I've been doing the 100 pushup challenge. The other day, my lats were sore from it which amazed me. I've been struggling with food (yet again). I did resist muffins this morning though. I wish I didn't love bread so much.

Tomato
10-21-2008, 10:57 AM
Thanks Mel. I am planning to do a half hour of ab exercises tonight (I did not wake up early enough to squeeze them in in the a.m.) and I will add the ball pulls as well.

EofAZ
10-21-2008, 05:34 PM
I finally kicked myself hard enough to get started on NRLW and did 1A this morning. I’ve had the book forever, read about ¾ of the way through it and got derailed by I don’t even know what but have carried that stupid thing around with me every place I went hoping I would get a chance to get back and finish reading it. Well yesterday my boss came in gimping around, he and his wife had started a new workout program and he was feeling it in almost every muscle in his body but he was in such a good mood for getting up and working out that it gave me the push I needed. I rolled out this morning with bells on and had my workout in before I left for work. I did my usual walk during lunch, food is right on plan and man I am just in so much control it is scary.

jamsk8r
10-21-2008, 06:44 PM
Tomato, I feel like such an ab slacker! I see the peeps at the Y just doing all kinds of ab exercises, and I know about TWO, lol.

E, congrats on your first NROLW workout! I've been needing a kick in the butt myself, and just finally got my exercise back on track the past 2 days.

Speaking of which, that's why I'm back...yesterday was running, but today, I finally got back in the weight room. Did chest, shoulders and triceps today. I did flat bench today (bb), and it was plain I hadn't been working out. My sorry (censored) was busted back down about 15 lbs on all my chest exercises. Well, it was a good workout, and that will be a good lesson for me, not to let life get in the way of my workouts.

Lydia227
10-21-2008, 09:33 PM
Tomato, I feel like such an ab slacker! I see the peeps at the Y just doing all kinds of ab exercises, and I know about TWO, lol.

Here ya go Cheryl,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mu2DHCRgJk&feature=related

Great fun, just be careful not to kiss the bar. I also like to keep a towel under my knees.

Good for both of you EofAZ and Cheryl in getting back into the gym. You know when I first began lifting about a year or so into it I wondered how it could be incorporated into a lifetime practice. I had accomplished a lot that year but wondered what the future motivation would be to keep doing this day in and day out. The funny thing that happens is just what you both described, "Life gets in the way." Projects for the kids, physical ailments, changes in schedules etc. Once the dust settles and we are able to get back into our lifting routine we find out we may have a little ground to catch up on again. It's okay. It certainly keeps us from getting bored and allows us to really appreciate all the gains we make all over again. Only this time, we know how to do it perhaps more efficiently. Let's hear it for muscle memory :yay:

Mel
10-22-2008, 08:40 AM
Life gets in the way

Yes, it does. BUT....life is so much better if you figure out how to incorporate healthy living into life which includes exercise. I keep reteaching myself this lesson. Yesterday I skipped am cardio because I went to bed too late, and all day felt like I never woke up. Another reminder that even tired, I feel better when I exercise. I don't "like" getting up at 5:15 (I know that's late for some of you!) but I sure feel better during the day.

My eating has been off- life got in the way of that too, so I have no right to be up on a soapbox! That is ENDING today. The world financial crisis is not going to be affected by my caloric consumption, and my 401K doesn't grow along with my waist, so I might as well face reality and stop eating in inverse relationship to the direction of the stock market ;)

Have a good one!

Mel

sportmom
10-22-2008, 11:44 AM
My cardio especially, but also weight lifting, is the only thing keeping me sane during this time of economic turmoil. Seriously. I can just see myself making goal and when people ask what worked for me, I'll have to say "the economy. It was either exercise or go crazy!"

WaterRat
10-22-2008, 03:16 PM
:lol: Fran!

What kept me going to lose 70 lbs in 2000? - my DH's cancer diagnosis/treatment. Although I had lost the first 30 before he was diagnosed, working on weight loss gave me something to control when the rest of my world was definitely not in my control. It also helped that I was 1500 miles from home, and knew no one and interacted only with salespeople and medical personnel. :) Now that I'm back living "real life" it's much much harder to lose.

sportmom
10-22-2008, 04:42 PM
Wow, Pat, I didn't know that story. I'm glad you both made it thru the storm and that you had a good outcome to show as well.

WaterRat
10-22-2008, 05:29 PM
Well, I did have a good outcome for awhile. I had a major relapse - though not the whole 70 lbs - which I'm still trying to lose. :( Amanda started a good thread in Maintainers about whether BMI is an acceptable measure and some other thought provoking stuff. After reading that I feel a lot better about my goal of being healthier as opposed to just being skinnier (not that I want to stay this weight, but I'm not as frantic about getting to a number on a scale, just about being healthier).

But yes, DH had a stem cell transplant, and has been in remission since May of 2000. And really well for the past 3 years or so.

EofAZ
10-22-2008, 06:52 PM
Last October we had an announcement at work that they were going to transfer the manufacturing operation in AZ out of state and close down the Tucson plant. We got 2 years notice (that is how long it is suppose to take to transition our equipment) so that has been hanging over my head but you just can’t walk away and leave the severance package on the table. Then comes along the economic turmoil and I get to watch what little I did have saved towards my retirement dwindle away. This is about as stressful a situation I’ve ever been in and you know what I have learned from all of this? That I’m not a stress eater! Ha, I always thought that was my biggest problem and it apparently isn’t so now I understand more about myself and that is so good.

Well I have my cardio in, didn’t get it done before work (decided to get some household chores done instead) but got out during lunch and put in 3 miles so I’m very happy with that and am looking forward to tomorrow morning and my date with my weights.

sportmom
10-22-2008, 10:56 PM
Stem cell transplants are a wonderful thing - you must have a real hard time being from Alaska right now, huh? ;)

I just downed my chocolate milk via my post-lifting snack. It was good and made me much happier than white milk. I must say, it's got me looking forward to my next weight lifting session! ;) But 29 g of sugar, 9 g of protein, and the dreaded hfcs very near the top of the list. Did I buy the wrong milk? Dh got me Nesquick and it doesn't expire until late November. Indicator #1 that this stuff may not be real 2% milk in there. I will have to check out the brands myself next time.

nelie
10-23-2008, 12:17 PM
I did vanilla soy milk after my run last night and chocolate soy milk after my run this morning :)

My news this morning is I've been practicing squats and have had trouble doing deep squats. I just don't quite have the flexibility. I've been practicing with my flexibility and this morning I was able to do a few deep squats.

sportmom
10-23-2008, 02:49 PM
I always thought you were not supposed to go beyond a parallel with the floor on squats and was surprised to see one of the Crossfit videos having a girl do total knee-bend, butt to floor, on squats. I guess things change over time.

Well, the bunny miilk was a success I guess. No stomach cramps at all for me, so for that reason alone I like it better than the white stuff. And, then I had a 3 lb drop overnite after LIFTING last nite people. What's that about? I'd been stalled all week, so it works itself out in the end I guess.

Has anyone ever noticed being extremely cold (unless if it's summertime I guess) the nite before a major weight shift? I could not get warm last nite - again after LIFTING - which is weird. I had my jammies on, socks, sweatshirt, 2 blankets, flannel sheets - had to finally turn up the heat after a couple of hours of misery. It was very odd but I wondered if it was related to my body exorcising/burning out some fat or something.

WaterRat
10-23-2008, 06:37 PM
Has anyone ever noticed being extremely cold (unless if it's summertime I guess) the nite before a major weight shift?

Oh wouldn't that be great? I've been cold for several days but I won't weigh til next week. Our scale died, I don't trust the one at the gym any longer, so it'll be next week at the doc's. I was shivering when I got done swimming last night - boy did that hot shower feel good. :) I think that as much as the exertion, the class is at a time when my body is winding down for the evening. We don't start til 8:30, and 10 pm is my usual bedtime. Took forever for my feet to warm up since I cannot convince the cats to sleep on them, and DH objects to me putting them on him. :rofl:

Mel
10-23-2008, 09:28 PM
Good grief, Pat! What are husbands and cats for if not warming feet? :devil:

Fran- Have you looked at the thermometer lately? It IS cold! I never noticed that, but I do notice that I'm a lot colder all the time at my current weight than I was 60 pounds ago. And on a high carb day, I'm boiling, but a low carb day has me all bundled up.

Nelie- I've been trying to work on my flexibility too. I can get my butt all the way down on squats, but a lot of yoga poses are an incredible challenge.

Lydia- How are you doing? Do you still have the flu?

I had a great back and chest workout today, and did a short yoga video while dinner cooked. I still don't particularly like it, but I really do want to work on flexibility.

Mel

sportmom
10-23-2008, 09:42 PM
Fran- Have you looked at the thermometer lately? It IS cold! I never noticed that, but I do notice that I'm a lot colder all the time at my current weight than I was 60 pounds ago. And on a high carb day, I'm boiling, but a low carb day has me all bundled up.

Yeah, but here it's been cold for a week already. Last nite was the first time it Bothered me that way, to where I couldn't even sleep. I've had the flannels on for a week, etc.

Interesting tho about your high carb/low carb days and your thermal heat level.

kaw
10-23-2008, 10:12 PM
Evening, everyone!

I've mostly been lurking for the past, oh, while, but I have to chime up to share new of a new bench PR. Only fellow lifters understand how much work goes into one of these things, and my "in person" lifter friend moved away this fall. :(

Without further ado: I benched 3x140, in the third set (1st two were 7@135 and 5@135). I thought it would just wipe me out for other chest/tri excercises, but it must have had the opposite effect, because I also managed a PR on dips -- BW + 25 lbs. Now, if only I could make progress on squats and scales...

53 days until I leave for Hawaii. I'm looking forward to it, of course, but I feel a bit bad about taking a vacation like this in the current economy, when so many people are struggling or nervous about their jobs/houses. A bit: we've made plenty of tradeoffs elsewhere in our lives ... plus our tickets are nonrefundable.)

Be strong,
Kim

WaterRat
10-23-2008, 11:02 PM
Mel and Fran :rofl: on being cold where you are! It was 16 this morning, and now it's snowing - again - the real small flakes, and lots of them, looks almost like rain, but they're snowflakes. Good thing I've got an appt to get my snow tires on in the morning!

But I need to stoping whining about winter cold and dark already. There's just too much time to go to start now - you'll all kick me out!

Tonight is the first night I've been home all week, and I intend to either read or catch up on some TV. :) On that note, I'm off to make some dinner.

Whoops, meant to tell you Kim, that your vacation may keep some service related folks employed a little longer - you're doing your part for the Hawaiian economy. :lol:

Mel
10-24-2008, 08:30 AM
Whoa! KAW! 140 is fantastic!!! and heavy..... :bravo:

I have the most ridiculous injury that is making lifting difficult: I sprained my thumb. Or I have arthritis in my thumb joint :( In any case, holding heavy dumbbells is painful.

Out into the cold :lol:

Mel

Lydia227
10-24-2008, 11:56 AM
and did a short yoga video while dinner cooked.
Mel :yikes: I honestly had to look at this twice and match it back up with your name on the thread because I couldn't believe you would actually OWN a yoga video much less use one and before dinner too. :lol3: ~whew~ Okay. I'm all done ribbing you. Your using it for a great reason, flexibility. It took me a while to find a place for it in my program. My focus for so long had been cardio and strength. Once I understood the importance of flexibility :light: (especially in my hips) to my lifting and running I made time for the yoga.

Kaw: :high: on your PR of 140. That is just fantastic! And please do not feel guilty about your trip. :hug: You are doing your part to keep the economy moving by doing what you would normally do. ;)

Fran: I've noticed the freezing experience correlates more with an evening workout. This summer I would need to shower after my ashtanga yoga class (7:30 to 9:00pm) and then wear my winter jammies just to warm up again. Wacko that I am I actually looked forward to this.

Oh, and yes. I am still sick Mel. I just made an appointment for Monday to get it checked out. It's morphing into a head cold but the stiff neck is still there and it's been going on for three weeks which is too long. My eating is a little heavier in the carbs than I usually do but I think maybe I'm burning a lot of it off trying to fight this because there has been no scale gain. :dunno: Oh well, the good news is it's keeping me down enough to get a lot of reading done. :D

nelie
10-24-2008, 12:46 PM
I imagine Mel doing yoga while bench pressing a donkey (or something like that) :)

I need to do some yoga although I have been doing good with my stretches. I saw the physical therapist this morning and he thinks I'm progressing with my flexibility but says STRETCH, STRETCH and then STRETCH some more.

EofAZ
10-24-2008, 06:45 PM
My GF (from NV) and I are planning on a meet-up for some girl time while DH is hunting this fall. One of the places we considered was Payson, AZ up in the pines because it might be cool enough there to burn a fireplace. We chickened out and selected Lake Havasu instead because neither of us have much current experience of driving in snow and didn’t want to risk getting into trouble. (we’ve both lived in the desert for about 20 years) It is supposed to get up to 88 hear today. So I took lunch at 10:30 and got my cardio in BEFORE it reached 88.

So, I’ve got my cardio done for today, did my 1B workout last night. Shocked myself on how little I could lift. I intentionally went light just to get back in the groove figuring I would repeat 1A and 1B again next week with what I r-e-a-l-l-y thought I could lift. Well I certainly over estimated my strength and had to push myself to get it done. The things I thought I would struggle with (jack knife) I did much better then expected. The things I figured I could do a lot more but would start with something easy to just limber up (dead lifts) I was shocked at how little I could lift. Regardless it still felt awesome to hear the weights clanking around and felt so incredible when I got finished.

Tomato
10-25-2008, 02:31 PM
Hiya ladies!

I think you will have to give me some spanking - obviously my muscles are made of jello (and I thought I have been working hard lifting weights???)
I am still trying to decide if I will upgrade my gym membership so that I can go to a different gym at lunch time (you would all laugh, although brand new it is very tiny and it was obviously dumbed down for the little ladies - a few recumbent bikes, 3 TMs, 3 ellipticals, 3 stairmasters and I think maybe 5 Nautilus machines and a tiny yoga studio).

Anyway, so I went yesterday and since my hip continues to be a problem, I decided to get on the elliptical. I have been never on the elliptical for more than 8 minutes (I use it for warm ups prior to lifing weights at my reg. gym). So yesterday, I went for the hill climb and I set it for 30 minutes. Geez!! My arms feel like rag doll arms today - I could barely lift up my mug with coffee heehehehe.

Today, I just returned from a half hour core class (on the ball) and one full hour of Zumba. I am totally Zumba'd out!!!!
Another half hour of core planned for tomorrow and I will attack the weights afterwards.

Wishing you all a lovely weekend.

Mel
10-25-2008, 03:27 PM
I ran into an old friend at the gym this morning and she talked me and my workout partner into doing 1/2 her Zumba class after we finished lifting. :rofl: I am a klutz! It was fun. She is a tiny Brazilian bombshell and all I could think of was that it would have been a lot more fun after one of the mohitos she served the last time I was at a party at her house!

Lydia- I actually do own a yoga video, but is is too basic even for me. I discovered that we get Exercise TV On Demand and there are all sorts of things on there!

Mel

WaterRat
10-25-2008, 04:47 PM
Morning from the frozen north. :) It's actually a very pretty day - as long as you're sitting inside a nice warm house! I have a pot of veggie soup going and will let it simmer on the wood stove all day. I've been doing way too much stress eating (and like Mel I find it really doesn't help!) so I'm trying to get some foods ahead that will let me eat when I need to without the calories/fat/etc. of the junk that hangs around work.

My swimming classes ended last Wed, and won't begin again til January. In the meantime I'm hoping to swim 2-3 times a week to build up some endurance there, plus get back to NROLW on a regular basis. I think that getting my arms especially stronger will also help with swimming. It's sooo much easier on my knees (except for getting out - I have to swim over to the little kid stairs, on the reglular pool ladders I have to lift my body weight onto my knee with my knee at chest level - so not happening!) I have a regular checkup with my PC doc next Thurs. I'm going to ask him if he can write a therapy scrip or if I need to go back to the orthopedic guy (and spend the bucks for an office visit - they know how bad my knee is, but want to see you in person "just in case.").

jamsk8r
10-26-2008, 12:15 PM
Kim, that is an amazing lift on your BP! Very cool! :celebrate:

Lydia, thanks for the suggestion on the BB rollouts. I think I'll give that a try at home first, just in case I fall on my face, lol!

No cardio for me this morning, but I'll do legs around lunchtime. I've been sticking to my workout plan this week, but I think I need to tweak the plan a little, because by afternoon, I'm ready for a nap, which isn't an option. I've been doing lifting then cardio right after in the early morning, then a protein shake breakfast. I work the pulling dogs after, then home to get chores/work/homeschool going. I've been doing okay until early afternoon, then I just run out of steam. I'm thinking maybe if I split the cardio and lifting, maybe a workout early afternoon or before lunch would give me the boost I need to make it through the afternoon..? I figure it's worth a try.

Lydia227
10-26-2008, 03:10 PM
Dogs?! Pulling dogs...you really are a busy woman. :faint:

Tomato
10-26-2008, 08:50 PM
Lydia,

The clip about the BB rollouts reminded me that I have this exercise gizmo:

Of course I used it a few times when I got it (years ago) and then happily forgot about it. It took me a while to find it (I moved to this house 3 years ago and I had no idea where it was hiding). It is very effective. You do 5 rollouts and the next your day your abs are screaming (of course, assuming that you are a couch potato that does not exercise at all). I will have to start using it.

Ladies, I have to tell you that today, for the first time I had to give up. I was about half way into my core class when I realized that every muscle of mine quivers. I guess the last couple of days I worked my harder than I had thought I did. I finished the class and then I moved onto doing weights, but after 20 minutes I simply called it quits. It was pointless to continue. I think I need some rest. :D

Otherwise, I am drooling with excitement - I found very reasonable sneakers for Zumba at Payless. Very flexible sole with hardly any traction, I can't wait to test them out.

sportmom
10-26-2008, 09:17 PM
Well, I had a good weekend. Actually got up early Saturday (ok, not dreadfully, but a change for me) to do cardio before taking dd to swim practice. How absolutely weird for it to be 9 am and be totally done with my cardio. I kept thinking about it all day and reminding myself that nope, I was good there, check!

Today was a fbwo and cardio after. I felt strong today - yeah! Slump, or whatever, over. Personally, I think it must be the chocolate milk! :drool: I mean, really, it could be making me stronger, it's not just the recovery portion! ;) I'm sold. I added in my balance ball roll outs today, with my body off the ground. I added them but stayed on the ground last time. I got 10 done without totally rolling off - it was fun. The worst was just getting calf cramps from trying to dig into the ball to keep from rolling. I'll keep working on it.

I think I'm looking younger in the mirror. I feel like I've already taken 10 years off my face. WIshful thinking to be sure, but it's an amazing thing that an all-day flush of color to the cheeks and natural tendency to smile more bc you feel "right" in the head, can do for your face value.

OK, I'll go spread my endorphins somewhere else now. :lol3:

Lydia227
10-26-2008, 09:46 PM
I think I'm looking younger in the mirror. I feel like I've already taken 10 years off my face. WIshful thinking to be sure, but it's an amazing thing that an all-day flush of color to the cheeks and natural tendency to smile more bc you feel "right" in the head, can do for your face value. OK, I'll go spread my endorphins somewhere else now. :lol3:

:hug: That feeling. Wow.

Tomato: That looks like a fun toy. I've been thinking about getting an ab wheel to use at home. Just haven't gotten around to it. It sounds like you are wearing yourself out. Good idea to listen to your body and make modifications. I always find that my workouts will show a slight decline just before the symptoms of a cold sets in. Still, it always surprises me. :D

Speaking of which, bah. I'm still sick. And it's not even the kind that you just have a runny nose. I'm actually bone weary fatigued with this thing. I'm heading in for a doc appointment. Hopefully he can send me home with some drugs but if its just a garden variety virus I may just have to hang in there with my lemon water, tissues and naps: (The anti workout)^:

sportmom
10-26-2008, 10:34 PM
Lydia, make sure to let us know what the doctor says in the morning. There's no fever involved, right? I once had fatigue and low grade fever for 3-4 weeks and could tell you the details about that, but it won't apply if there's no fever involved. I hope you get a pick me up soon!

Tomato
10-26-2008, 11:16 PM
Lydia, sorry to hear that that pesky cold is still hanging around. It must really like your body! :-) Get well soon.

Mel, how's the sprained thumb?

elisa822
10-27-2008, 08:33 AM
Good Monday Morning!

It's amazing how time flies and I've been lurking around but nothing too exciting to post. Like with everyone, life is always getting in the way! I've been slacking a bit with my workouts. I'm still going, but not as often. I think I need a couple of new things to work into my routine to keep me interested. I might pull my NROLW out for some inspiration.

I'm still doing my once a week yoga, and loving it! ;) But once a week is enough for me. It's been too cold (for me) to run outside and I hate the treadmill so I'll have to just suck it up or head back to my spinning classes.

Lydia - I can't believe you're still sick. I hope the doctor can help you get rid of whatever it is. There's lots of colds and stuff going around here and I had my share but it was just a cold and didn't last too long. That reminds me, I think I need to look into my annual flu shot. I think it's about that time of year!

Kim - congrats on your PR...that is amazing! And Hawaii...oh I love Hawaii!! If you've never been and need some tips on where to go or what to do, just ask. I can talk about Hawaii forever.

Fran - so chocolate milk really is the best after lifting food! I think this my actually be the one thing that might get my DH to start lifting. ;)

Mel
10-27-2008, 08:43 AM
:wave:

Good morning! I did a full body workout on Saturday and amazed that almost all of me is mildly sore. Change is good :)

This was an extremely busy weekend- I helped ds do several college applications, did a LOT of bulk shopping and cooking, cleaned, cleaned up gardens, etc.

I'm waiting around this morning for ds to feel better so I can take him to school late or get a doc appointment :p

Lydia :hug::hug: This sure has gone on too long! Please take care of yourself and let us know how the appointment goes.

Mel

jamsk8r
10-27-2008, 03:37 PM
Morning, everyone!

Lydia, I hope you'll get some help from the doc. Hopefully some antibiotics or something similar can kick it out of there, so you can get back to normal, and keep up with those boys! :hug:

Fran, is the chocolate milk for after lifting, or cardio? I'll have to go catch up on posts, since I missed that part of the chat. Anyway, glad you're feeling more energetic with it!

Elisa, I haven't been able to get used to the treadmill, myself. When I get off, I feel like I'll fall over...sorta that "just got off the escalator" feeling, I guess. I have a hard time doing running at the gym, period...it's just so boring to me. I like running outside, or if it's gross out, I still fall back on how I started (when I felt too embarrassed to take my chunky self outside to run): running through the house...I put some music on the stereo, and just jog through the house...the carpet is cushy, I can crank up the tunes without headphones, and the bathroom is right there (lol).. what more do I need? ;)

Mel, I finally got the garden beds cleaned up last week. Now, I'm sheet composting them for the winter....I like it when the worms do all the tilling for me.

I have a scale victory to report today: I passed the 50 lbs lost mark! I'm lifting LB today, so I know I'm gonna bloat up with water weight, but for a few hours, I'll celebrate, anyway! (amazingly, not with food!) :carrot:

sportmom
10-27-2008, 05:23 PM
LYDIA???? :listen:

LYDIA's DH????? :shrug:

JAM, congrats on the 50!! Whoohoo! :encore:

Lydia227
10-27-2008, 05:53 PM
Fran: I'm here :wave: I was typing my reply when you posted. :D

Thanks for all the support everyone. :goodvibes: The doc looked in my throat, felt my lymph nodes and said it was an infection (no really?) and gave my a script for antibiotics. If there wasn't any improvement in two weeks to come back. My expectations were met. Hopefully I'll be in full swing by Friday. I'm hosting the neighborhood Halloween party in my house two hours prior to Trick or Treat.

Cheryl: :dance: This is a wonderful scale victory. Its so mind boggling sometimes when those numbers actually become a reality.

Mel: My DS1 was home this morning too, ear infection. Just before lunch he recalled that today was the last day of his after school magic class and he was well enough to go in for afternoon classes. :s: He was pretty uncomfortable this morning though.

Elisa: Yoga once a week is about all I can squeeze in too. It is harder to get out there once it's dark and cold. Also, I feel a little guilt about leaving the family during those hours. Maybe if I could find a place that offers morning classes when the kids are in school I could add more of it into my schedule.

Okay, so no matter how good I may feel tomorrow morning when I get up do not allow encourage me to go back to the gym on Wednesday. (Oh this is so hard to type) Really. I think I need to give myself like three consecutive days of good health until I go back.

Have a great evening!

WaterRat
10-27-2008, 06:21 PM
Well, Lydia, my gym offers yoga at least one, maybe two, mornings a week. I'll get you a guest pass. :)

jamsk8r
10-27-2008, 06:53 PM
said it was an infection (no really?)

Yes, that is why they get paid the big bucks! :D

I could have used a genius here today...I just figured out that I've been using twice as much protein powder as I should. I have the EAS pack from Costco...it says "2 scoops" is a serving, so I've been using that all along, but after seeing so many recipes say "1 scoop" like it was a universal powder measurement, I decided to weigh it out and see if it matched the grams on the nutrition label. Of course, it didn't...it takes about one and a quarter scoops to make a serving, or just one heaper...I think they switched scoops, or just wanted folks to blow through it faster. :?:

Anyway, LBWO is done, and it was a good one. Lydia, I tried those rollouts today. I couldn't go out very far, but I'll keep working on it. I could definitely feel it!

Tomato
10-28-2008, 02:01 PM
Cheryl,
Congrats on the 50 lbs loss. That is HUGE! [pun intended]

Re your protein powder - after a two-week wait, I finally got my Body For Life book yesterday and I read it from start to end. Bill Phillips is suggesting having three protein shakes a day. I find it an overkill (and it sounds like a big promotion of his EAS products). So there you go - I forgot if he is suggesting one or two scoops but he is having three a day.

This is a total coincidence - I was actually coming here to ask a question if anybody followed the Body For Life program, and if so, how did you like it?
I am going to, but just like with everything else, I will be doing my own modified version. First of all, my hip won't allow the intensity of the cardio as he suggests (I would be out of commission for half a week) and I definitely don't want a protein shake 3 x a day - My stomach wants real food.
But I modify everything to suit my needs, why should BFL be an exception? LOL

sportmom
10-28-2008, 06:33 PM
Legend has it that this forum started from a few BFL'ers getting together. There's a ton of that kind of info here in the stickies above and within the posts. I haven't personally done it to plan, but have read both books (his and the female version by Peeke) and my workouts actually follow the weight lifting portion of BFL, specifically the decreasing reps of increasing weights, 3 sets. I eat my own plan which is basically 30/30/30 and not so overkill on the protein, and then I do cardio 6x/wk and the wl'ing. It's kind of like the BFL for dummies plan I think. ;)

Mel
10-28-2008, 07:05 PM
Yup, when I joined this forum it was a BFL forum. I did the plan mostly by the book a very long time ago. Keep in mind that Bill Philips owned EAS at the time- BFL relied heavily on EAS supplements. He did state somewhere in the book that you could do BFL without protein powder and supplements, but he included it for "convenience". Two scoops of powder is usually about 50-55 grams of protein; way too much for most women and way too much for Fran's kidneys!

When I do have shakes, I try to keep it to one per day and 1 scoop, with 20-25 grams of protein.

Mel

tikanique
10-29-2008, 10:14 AM
i'm stil alive - been buried at work. skimmed thru, Lydia, hope you are getting better. When I joined the forum it was Ladies Who Lift :-) Tomato, make sure you don't go for "discount" protein. I got a tub of the cheap stuff and it made me gag, no matter how I tried to ingest it whether in soy milk, water, oatmeal - it was AWFUL! Good luck with the program! It does work.

Eating is still pretty clean: i've dropped from a tight 18 to a 14 - yay me! I've finally come to the conclusion that the crew's schedule will not allow me to be in bed in time for 430AM workouts so I've moved them to 9PM. Gives me time to get home, cook, get them started on homework, get back home in time to check homework and get them off to bed. I hate that it's so late, but it's better late than never, right?

Lydia227
10-29-2008, 01:42 PM
Tiki: There are you are! :hug: Right, better late than never. But late is in the eye of the beholder. If this works better then it's right on time.

I got drugs so I'm on my way to getting healthy. The zpack they put me on is making me very tired and very thirsty. I'm shooting for a Saturday morning workout but we'll see. I'm beginning to feel thick in the middle but it's probably my own head. No real scale changes but then again I'm not exactly hungry right now either. Thank goodness.

Tomato, I did BFL. I did it probably about 90% to the book. There were a lot of baked chicken breasts for dinner for several months. DH was a champ and never complained once. It's also where I learned how to combine the cottage cheese and yogurt into a minimeal. I really am grateful for finding this book. It has turned into the template in which I still eat today. I also found that it has taken the stress out of eating for me. I no longer worry so much about calories or points. Got a protein. Check. Whole grain carb? Check. Water? Check. EFA? Check. Good to go.

Good luck with the program.

Tomato
10-29-2008, 03:24 PM
Thanks for all your replies.
I have officially started my BFL yesterday, but like with everything else I do, I am gonna do my own modified version of it. (I cannot cook from a recipe without modifying in some way - I guess I like to live dangerously). :-)
I have work around my hip issue (a problem with the connective tissue, not the joint) and running that intense may put me out of commission for a week. I am still testing what I can or cannot do. Yesterday morning, I did about 30 hr of climb hill on my TM (my incline goes to 10), I am fine so far. Also, I do not want to drop classes that I am already taking (Zumba 2x a week, I am starting to love it).
Also, I like to work out to Jackie Warner's DVD. Anyway, the key is to do something and exercise, and I will follow the suggestion of increasing weight/decreasing reps.
I don't have to worry about chaging my eating habits because that's already firmly in place (but, I yet have to learn NOT to spend $175 at Costco when I go there JUST for a tray of chicken or turkey breast!). I also don't plan to do a free day once a week (I tend to have a hard time getting back on track after those) but through my entire existence on 3FC, I always allowed myself something off-plan here and there, when I really craved it. So far it worked well for me, so I don't see any need to change it.
I am only 14 lbs away from my goal (or at least what I think will be my goal weight), so I think a somewhat modified version should work. I will keep you posted.

Mel
10-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Tomato, that sounds fine. I did my bfl cardio mostly on a recumbent bike. I have/had hip and knee issues and at the time couldn't run. I now do mostly elliptical, but rotate through some bike and treadmill sprints. I found that eating 6 meals and only 20 minutes of cardio 3 times per week was too much food and not enough cardio. But I'm old and very short. At 5'9", you have seven inches on me. The food may be just right for you.

This morning was a bike and treadmill sprint morning. I did 20 minutes on the bike, then 2 miles broken into 3 increasing intensity sprints. I find that if I keep the treadmill on a slight incline, it doesn't hurt my knees. Then shoulders and abs at the gym at lunch time. I had fun talking to one of the trainers that I know there sharing wacky exercises :dizzy:

I'll be away through Sunday. My dd is getting some life changing news on Friday at 7 am, and asked me to be there. I'm flattered that at 26 yrs old, she still wants mom!

Tiki- Great to see you again. As lydia said, late is in the eye of the beholder. If it works for you, fantastic. And given the drop in clothing size, it's working :bravo:

Mel

Lydia227
10-29-2008, 09:36 PM
Mel: I hope it's good news!

Pat: This one is for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxi4_G169o0

Who knew they needed peanuts?

sportmom
10-29-2008, 10:40 PM
Results of her bar exam? A clerking opportunity? (Sorry, I know she just graduated and I don't know what order these things are done in.)

Ugh, I'm sick. Too much tending to Lydia I guess. I feel better right now than I did at this time last nite, so tomorrow I will actually attempt to get dressed and workout. Missed cardio yesterday and lifting today. I think it all stemmed from having to be on a 6:45 am train into the city yesterday for a meeting and that meant getting up at 5 and going out in the rain, wind, and DARK. It wasn't light until I was walking into my meeting at 8:00 - ugh! Getting up early is doable, but not on spur of the moment notice when you're normally up til 11 or 11:30. That body can't just go to sleep early, you have to work up to it gradually. Well, I've allowed myself one day to be sick. Now tomorrow is back up and at 'em. Have to be 100% for Friday's festivities - a whole day spent in school volunteering. Teacher's helper in the morning and at lunch, and party helper in the afternoon.

WaterRat
10-30-2008, 12:15 AM
:lol: Lydia. My cats are not nearly that talented.

I'm just back from swimming. I'm building back the endurance I lost during my class where I spent time learning to swim more efficiently - and I do swim better,but I'm still in the stage where I need to think about each part of the stroke (well, the crawl - I can breast stroke for hours easily) so it take more energy. Now I'm ready for some dinner (DH is out for the evening) and my book.

Fran - you'll be glad for daylight savings next week I'm guessing. I too will prefer driving to work in at least semi-daylight for a few weeks. I find that I really can't stay up past 10:30, and 10:00 is better, if I want to function normally the next day. Sounds like a full day of Halloween for you Friday.

We have Japanese students and chaperones visiting from our Sister City of Soroma, Japan. They were at the City Council meeting on Tuesday night, and today we had luncheon for the (omg - 15 pizzas!!) and then they went ice skating. Tomorrow the chaperone who works for the city there will be visiting all of our city departments - fortunately with a translator. The teen-aged girls are just like the local teen-aged girls they're with - laughing, tight jeans, etc.

Tomato
10-30-2008, 08:39 AM
Hahaha, Mel, I may be a bit taller than you (actually, I found out a couple of months after I joined 3FC that I am actually only 5' 8.5" - I was TOTALLY crushed!!! I must have converted my weight wrong when I moved to Canada (I am a metric person) and I never bothered to recalculate it. I almost cried when I found out I am 0.5" shorter than I thought I was! LOL
I may be a bit taller but I am a vintage specimen - I turned 49 in August. Guessing from the age of your daughter we are of similar age.
Hey, good luck with the important news - at 7:30 A.M. it better be good!!

I woke up at 5 am and I knew I would not go back to sleep, so I actually went to the gym to work on my BFL weight training. I won't be able to hold my cup of coffee tomorrow morning, I am sure. The gym was actually surprisingly quiet with only very few people around, especially upstairs where the weights are (the cardio section downstairs was a but busier; and there was a yoga class in progress in the studio). Upstairs, my concentration was constantly being interrupted by a dude whose cervix must have been seriously dilated and the baby must have been in breech position - at least that was my impression from the series of sounds coming from his direction. I really wished I had my camera to record the audio and post it here.

Alena

Mel
10-30-2008, 08:40 AM
Bar exam, Fran :) Bingo!
Lydia, if you weren't so sick and I weren't so terrified of getting sick, I'd come visit you!

Hitting the road...I actually got up and did cardio this morning after staying up past my bedtime to watch the Phillies win. I think 3 innings is a perfect length for a baseball game :lol:

Mel

Lydia227
10-30-2008, 09:00 AM
Real quick I have to get the kids to school....MEL! Have a safe trip and tell your DD we all say CONGRATULATIONS!!!:congrat: What an exciting moment for her and your family.

Loved to see you but your right. There is no way I'm sharing these germs with anyone. Although, I've been on drugs for four days I'm probably not infections anymore but wow, just tired. :faint: I'm thinking maybe Saturday or Sunday I might head into the gym for some light cardio and stretching. Maybe.

Fran: Hope you are feeling better soon too. Your right getting up early takes some adjustment. I'm going to have to get back to my early time soon too and I'm not ready yet. Oh and thanks for tending to me :o :D

nelie
10-30-2008, 11:16 AM
Mel - maybe her life changing news is she doesn't want to be a lawyer :) I have a funny story. So my husband went to law school, left the company (where we both worked) and started working at a law firm. After a few months, he changed his mind on the lawyer thing within a year came back to work for our company again . We started dating shortly after that (his law school loans and all). His brother went to law school and graduated a couple years ago, he was hired by a law firm but was having some issues with how they operated. Anyway, he recently said he is thinking about giving up law and doing something else. I'm amused by both of them :)

As for me, I'm starting a new program. Sandi (of the 100 lb club) read Skwigg's blog and showed me this post: http://skwigg.tripod.com/blog/index.blog?from=20081022 After reading it, I decided to try the kettlebelle body program. So far I like it and it is pretty well thought out. I think I'll be able to incorporate it, my physical therapy exercises and my running.

WaterRat
10-30-2008, 04:43 PM
Nelie, I read that post too and thought of you... Funny, I worked for a law firm for 20 years, and completely understand why they don't work for some people. I actually took the LSAT exams and was accepted to law school, but some little voice in the back of my mind told me that wasn't the career for me. Soo glad now that I didn't rack up all that debt, though I'm sure I'd have enjoyed going. If someone paid for it, I'd be a professional student. :)

Ah, Alena, I wish I could persuade myself to go to the gym when I wake up at 5am! Somehow, lying awake and my warm bed always seems more preferable. :lol: I'm definitely an evening exerciser.

tikanique
10-30-2008, 04:51 PM
The gym early in the morning is always so cool! you can get the machines and weights you want, not many people around so it's quiet and you can focus on going that next minute or lifting that next higher weight. Miss it!

So I read right, Mel? Law School for the DD? If so, that's great!!! Even if she changes her mind later, she has a new experience under her belt and an even wider look at the world. It's great watching them grow, from the first tooth up and on past yet another degree or milestone. They may grow up but will always be our babies.

Tomato, I used to be 5 ft 2 and 3/4 inches until I SHRUNK down to a solid 5'2 person. I want my 3/4 inch BACK!!! Hope yours is just a math calculation thingy.

Oh well, got to go get my sweet potato out the microwave. I'm STARVING!

EofAZ
10-30-2008, 04:59 PM
The kettlebelles workout looks like fun Nellie, and it sounds like something you would have a good time with.

Mel -- It does feel great when the kids still want you there, my youngest is 26 and just got married in April Boy I can't believe how empty the house felt, unreal so I moved out bedroom into hers and converting ours to a workout room helped. That helped. :lol:

Tomato -- I can really relate on the height. I've always always always been 5' 6 3/4". No doctor, nurse or school nurse would ever give me that last 1/4".

Well I was able to fit my NRLW workout in before I left for work this morning and even took a nice long walk during lunch for some cardio so this evening I can just kick back and relax once I get home. Yippee. Love the feeling of being ahead of schedule. I can't believe how quickly my strength is coming back after not lifting for so long. I feel soooo good.

Mel
10-31-2008, 08:42 AM
SHE PASSED THE BAR EXAM!!!!!

Those "don't want to be a lawyer" stories are NOT amusing. Already went through the "don't want to be a chemist" phase after 5 years of a double major in chemistry and nuclear engineering. Luckily, she seems to love patent law and will be takeng the patent bar in the winter.

No workouts scheduled today, but I may do some body weight stuff and stretching. After driving 7 hours yesterday and lying awake most of the night on an old bed, my back isn't in good shape.

Tomato- I'm more vintage than you. I have 5 years on you :lol:

Mel

Meg
10-31-2008, 09:09 AM
Those "don't want to be a lawyer" stories are NOT amusing.

:tape: :tape: :tape:

nelie
10-31-2008, 11:34 AM
Mel - My husband loved patent law too... Ok maybe I will shush. The good news though is he is doing pretty well in his current career.

I did kettlebells this morning and I may add a little something to our main kettlebell thread because I think a lot about kettlebells when I do them. I love kettlebells. Seriously. Oh and I was doing a move where you swing a kettlebell around your body, let go and catch it with your other hand. In the course of the workout, I dropped the kettlebell 3 times. Luckily my pups were sleeping in their designated areas and the floor is concrete with carpet on top.

Tomato
10-31-2008, 12:21 PM
Mel,
Congrats to your DD! that's wonderful.
You should be lifting glasses full of champagne today, yeah, that should be your workout for today. :D

alena

sportmom
10-31-2008, 06:54 PM
CONGRATS Mel's dd! No easy feat, as didn't it take John Jr. 3 times?

Starting to feel half better. Yesterday I started my lifting but just stopped after 2 body parts bc it just seemed like it was harder than it should have been.

Spent the day on my feet most of the day today. Amazing that I could do that, really, didn't even realize it until I got home and thought about it and was shocked at how easy it seemed. Yea! We'll see how long I can hold up on trick or treating tonite, it's my year to walk. After anwering the door last year and feeling like a jack in the box, I swore to try the walking job this year.

Tomato
10-31-2008, 11:17 PM
I am so dumm, arrrrgh.
Things did not work out today as planned and I was kinda miserable that I missed my exercise. So I get to the gym at 9:51 pm to find out at the door that they close at 10 pm. (The gym is technically 24/7 except for Friday night and Saturday night but I forgot about the Friday.

Lydia227
11-01-2008, 11:02 AM
Tomato: :hug: Sorry you missed your workout. It must have been a bad feeling to see that the staff was ready to go home when you arrived. I've done this before too but on the other side of the clock. I've shown up at the gym on the weekend an hour or two before they were opened. In my head, if it opens at 5:30am it's always open at 5:30am weekends included. :lol: I know that if I belonged to a place that was 24/7 I wouldn't even consider special times for th weekends either.

Finally, I beginning to feel a little better. I went in for a quick workout yesterday. Light cardio and one set of my usual upper body program and a lot of stretching. I might try to get it in today but we'll see. The weather is really beautiful and I'm thinking it may be best to just be outside.

Fran: I did the walk last night too. Two hours. :faint: It's so much fun here though. We found two haunted garages, two hot dog and juice stands, an outdoor cartoon theatre, and lots of neighborhood friends. Unfortunately we also have a pantry of candy I need to find a way of dealing with too. :chin: I wonder if I can keep that stuff in the garage. :lol:

Tomato
11-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Lydia,
Good to hear you are feeling better It was one persistant virus!

I redeemed myself. Hit the gym at 8 a.m. and spent a nice hour (10 min warmup on elliptical and the rest upper body BFL workout). I don't know Bill managed to get it done in 20 minutes. :-) I added a few more exercises that I never miss, just for a good measure.

I made myself an omelet using two eggs and some of the egg whites from a carton. This is first time I used the egg whites and the omelet did not taste right. I don't know if it was the spinach, or the egg whites.

I am thinking I will definitely need gloves if I am gonna play with barbells. The area where calluses form is pretty red and raw. Gotta check out the store.

I was hoping for a nice sunny day (it is supposed to be unseasonally warm for a few days and I still have some foliage to take care of (hostas, etc.) but the sun is hidden behind a thick layer of clouds. Maybe later.