Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-30-2008, 06:52 AM   #1  
Keep on Keepin' ON

S/C/G: 190/179/150

Height: 5'3"

Angry How the *^$& is this fair?!?!?!

Ok, so yesterday I officially hit 20lbs gone and I was very excited. I had a really busy day where I literally spent 10 hours on my feet cleaning. I cleaned dog runs at my job, I cleaned my kitchen and bathroom, vacuumed my house, and took a 60lb bag of laundry to the laundromat and washed it. I was a little low on my water earlier in the day because I was so busy...but I made up for it later. HOWEVER last night I had one of those nights where I just couldn't stop crying. I am a manic depressive, I have been for 10 years, and I know when these things are coming and I could feel it building over the last few days. Finally last night the floodgates opened and I had a really good exhausting cry. The thing that sucks...today I am up a pound and a half. I know intellectually that it is just water weight but I am still mad as h*ll about it. The depressive part of my brain is really bitter and angry that I can't cry without it screwing up my efforts to lose weight. RAWR. Anyway, today I will drink lots of water, eat OP and hopefully it will have resolved itself by tomorrow. I am NOT changing my ticker because darn it all, I AM at 170.

Out of curiosity...has anyone else experienced this?

As always, thanks for listening. Love to you all.
Sidheag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:55 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Congratulations on those 20 pounds lost! And yes, you have lost 20 lbs. Just because the scale fluctuates a bit doesn't take away from the weight you've taken off.

I can't say I've experienced the exact same scenario, but daily scale fluctuations? Right there with ya, as is everyone else.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:26 AM   #3  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Well, I look at the times my body seems to do unfair things to me as its way of trying to tell me something. So now you know its only temporary and are drinking lots of water, which really isnt a problem. I can understand you're frustration because of how you've been feeling recently but it will sink in! You've done a great job so give yourself a big pat on the back, you deserve it
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:02 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 183/170/150

Height: 5'8"

Unless I've gone crazy OP, or I've gained weight and it's stayed on for a week or more, I leave my ticker at the lowest weight I've been so far, even if it was just for a day. Often the scale will jump down, then go back up for a few days before settling back down at my "real" weight, but it always goes back down.
Mahalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:21 AM   #5  
frustrated foodie

S/C/G: 237/223/size 10/12

Height: 5'5.5"

I can fluctuate 5 lbs in a day (or a few hours!) depending on my water intake. Keep celebrating your 20 lb loss-you earned it.
owlmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:23 AM   #6  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

You will often gain a little after a day of massive exertion. You've taxed your muscles, and now they're retaining water/nutrients as they repair. Just drink a ton of water today, and you should see it go away.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:57 AM   #7  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

A while ago, I had one day where my weight went off the charts within ONE SINGLE DAY. In the evening, my weight was SIX POUNDS more than it was the same day in the morning. I normally don't weigh myself all the time, I did on that day because I had a retest at my gym that day and my weight was higher in the a.m. than what I expected.
So don't despair. Congrats on your 20-lbs loss!
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:36 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Don't know if this will make you feel better or not.

Friday I weighed 159.4 - I've been struggling to get below 160 for MONTHS.
Monday I weighed 166.7.

It's 90% water weight because I ate poorly over the weekend and had a lot of salty food. And I know that. But it doesn't make it any easier to take.

Hang in there. We ALL go through the same thing - usually multiple times during this journey.

You're not alone.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:36 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I never change my ticker up for water weight. Even if it lasts 3 weeks (which it just did). Even when I'm not eating as well as I could, there is no way I'm ever gaining fat.

I used to base my ticker on my weekly Monday weigh in. Which was often a higher weight than I had seen earlier in the week. I was fine with that for a while.

But then I realized, if I've hit a lower weight one morning, it's real - I'm never dehydrated in the morning. So any subsequent days that are higher are only water weight. So now, my ticker is always my lowest weight so far. And that's making me happy .
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote