Old 09-28-2008, 11:57 AM   #1  
The Walker

S/C/G: 265/266/200

Height: 5' 7"

Smile Hi Im New!

I hope everyone is having a great weekend im new to This Website... I WAS going to start Calorie Counting on October 1st but i decided Why Wait! so i started TODAY! im almost 49 years old and 265 pounds... i hope to get down to about At Least 200 pounds or less... maybe 190? im 5' 7" and i am a Big Girl no kidding... ive been big my whole life... everyone says i carry my weight well, but at 265 i know in fact that i am obese and i need to be down to at least 200... i guess ill do alot more reading today and figure this site out... i found a website that told me this:

Your Estimated BMR:
BMR=1870 :: RMR=2244

Your customized recommendation:
EAT 1870 calories :: BURN 2244 calories :: LOSE 0.75 lb per week

can someone explain to me what RMR is??? and should i be eating 1870 calories??? this seems like ALOT for a 48 year old woman! i was thinking maybe 1700 or 1600? well i guess ill Live And Learn... and hopefully i can do this HERE... i have NEVER counted calories so this will be a FIRST for me! i have tried Low Carb and Low Fat and even Eat Fat Get Thin... and i could not eat like that for a lifetime... it just could not be healthy! so im going to really try hard to eat HEALTHY and Count Calories and see what happens... Wish Me Luck!
Eliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/?/155

Height: 5'7"

Welcome Eliz!!! We are glad to have you here... check the forums often... I find them a great source of support...

(I will let some of the more experienced gals respond to your calorie question!!)
didjaever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 01:28 PM   #3  
Go Cubs Go!

S/C/G: Too/Effing/Much!

Height: 5' 7"

Hi Eliz. Welcome to 3FC and to Calorie Counters. This really is a terrific way to go about losing weight because it is a workable and life long sustainable plan. Nothing is truly off limits to you, it is all a matter of remaining within your target calorie range for the day. It is a little tricky, at first, but once you are in the groove, have a good handle on things, it is super easy.

May I suggest keeping a food journal? You can do it on your computer or kick it old school, like I do, with a pen and a notebook. Keeping written track of everything you eat and the calories really helps to keep you on track, accountable to yourself and motivated. You can do it minimal style, just writing down the food and the calories in each portion you eat, then tally at the end of the day. (That is how I roll ) Or, you can make it as intricate as you like, tracking calories, carbs, fat grams, whatever you like.

As far as the number of calories you should be eating in a day, I don't really know. I have read that those formulas tend to run a little high, for most people. I am thinking that your thought about 1600 or 1700 sounds better. Give it a shot and see how it works for you. You may need to tinker with your counts a bit to find the best range for your body and your goals.

I HTH a little. And again, welcome. I hope we see a lot of you. Just jump on in, the water is fine and there are no sharks. Good luck.
Rain Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 256/204/130

Height: 5'4"

Welcome! Counting Calories really does work! Best wishes.
Curvaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:21 AM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey!

BMR = Basal Metabolic Rate

RMR = Resting Metabolic Rate

Anything you find on a website is only an estimate based on averages. Many folks who are obese find that their metabolism is lower than these estimates.

You might want to read the Sticky Thread at the top of this forum that contains Frequently Asked Questions. That information can also help you choose a starting point.

Good luck!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote